Henry County, Iowa
Sources of Biographies include:
Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Iowa .
Chicago: Acme Publishing Company, 1888.
Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa
.Chicago: Hobart Publishing Company, 1906.
Oskaloosa Weekly Herald 1889
Iowa Official Register 1927-1928
Biographies of State Senators
Thanks to Joan Achille, Betsey Brown, Frances Sloan, Pat White, Jim Church, Dick Barton, Sharyl Ferrall, Polly Eckles, Ann Miller White and Richard Kinkead for transcribing them. If I have omitted anyone please let me know.
Other submissions welcome.
Please send to Cathy Labath
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
WILLIAM WAUGH is a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of New London Township, and resides on section 30, where he has a well-improved and valuable farm of 235 acres; his post-office is Mt. Pleasant. His father, David B. Waugh, a worthy citizen of Henry County from 1864 until his death on May 15, 1881, was born in Washington County, Pa., Feb. 17, 1801, and was the son of William and Sarah (Boyd) Waugh, his ancestors being of Scotch-Irish descent, and residents of America from Colonial times.
David B. Waugh was married in his native county, Feb. 18, 1830, to Miss Maria Moore, daughter of William Moore. Mrs. Waugh was born in the same county in which her husband was born. Eight children were born of this union, seven of whom lived to be men and women: Jane was born Dec. 6, 1830, and is now the widow of Thomas Dodds, of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa; Sarah was born Oct. 1, 1832, and is the wife of O. H. P. Buchanan, of Nebraska; John M. was born Aug. 20, 1834, married Miss Jane Waugh, and resides in Shenandoah, Page Co., Iowa; William is the subject of this sketch; Robert, born March 3, 1838, married Elizabeth Shiveley, and is a farmer of Center Township, Henry County; Caroline, born May 14, 1840, in Virginia, is the wife of A. W. Shelton, of Dc Kalb County, Ill.; Richard, born in Brooke County, Va., Oct. 3, 1842, married Anna McDonald, and resides in Furnas County, Neb.; James R., born June 12, 1846, died in infancy. All of the children older than Caroline were born in Washington County, Pa.
Mr. Waugh moved to Brooke County, Va., now West Virginia in 1840, where his youngest children were born and where his wife died July 29, 1846. Mr. Waugh was married again, Oct. 2, 1849, to Mrs. Jane B. Miller, nee Blair, and emigrated from Virginia to Henry County, Iowa, and located in Center Township, where he was engaged in farming until his death. His oldest son, Robert, served in the late war as a member of Company B, 1st Virginia Volunteer Infantry, U. S. A. In early life Mr. Waugh voted with the Whig party, and on the organization of the Republican party became a warm supporter of that body, and his sons followed his example. His two wives and himself were members of the Presbyterian Church, as are several of his children. Mr. Waugh was an upright, industrious man of unquestioned integrity and morality. His life was a bright example for his children, who have profited well by his teachings.
William Waugh, the subject of this
sketch, was born in Washington County, Pa., Feb. 16, 1836. He received a liberal
education and was reared to the vocation of a farmer. He was united in marriage
in his native county in Pennsylvania, Oct. 26, 1865, to Miss Rebecca Hamilton,
daughter of Alexander and Matilda (Thompson) Hamilton. Mrs. Waugh was also born
in Washington County, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Waugh have four children, all sons, born
in New London Township, and named respectively: William Howard, born Dec. 6,
1866; Charles Hamilton, born Dec. 26, 1868; Harry Buchanan, born Aug. 8, 1871,
and Herbert Tappan, born Aug. 6, 1873. The
parents and three sons belong to the First Presbyterian Church of Mt. Pleasant.
Mr. Waugh has been an earnest Republican since the organization of that party.
His first vote was cast for Abraham Lincoln, and he has never wavered in his
allegiance to the party since. He is one of the substantial farmers of Henry
County, and does an extensive business in stock-raising and dairying. He is held
in good repute as a neighbor and citizen, and is eminently worthy of the highest
respect and confidence.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 348-349) (JC)
|Henry Clay Weir
HENRY CLAY WEIR, residing on section 29, Marion Township, was born in Washington County, Pa., June 24, 1835. His parents, Adam and Mary (Carter) Weir, were natives of Pennsylvania, though of Scotch descent. They were the parents of ten children: Elizabeth, the deceased wife of Abel Evans, resided in Washington County, Pa.; Sarah, wife of George McKanna, neither of whom are now living; Jane, the widow of J. N. Ringland, resides in Keokuk, Iowa; Maria, deceased; Charlotte, deceased, was the wife of Daniel F. Humphrey, who still resides at Saginaw, Mich.; John B. is living at Wymore, Neb., and is engaged quite extensively in the grain and stock business at that place; William C., deceased; Henry Clay, subject of this sketch; Caleb B., who when his country called for men to defend her, enlisted in the 11th Iowa Infantry, and was First Lieutenant of Company G, but acted as aide to Gen. McPherson. Returning home on a sick furlough he was seriously injured in a railroad accident at Chattanooga, Tenn., which, together with his impaired health, caused his death in August, 1864; James P. and family live in Marion Township.
Adam Weir, with his family, moved to Lee County, Iowa, in 1851, and settled near Pilot Grove. In 1854 he bought eighty acres of land in that township, and added to it from time until he owned 120 acres of splendid land and in a good state of cultivation, he died Dec. 1, 1874, at the advanced age of eighty-four years, having been born in 1790; his wife died in 1868. They were both members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he was an Elder, and always took an active part in matters pertaining to the church, and those of general interest to the community. They were highly respected by the citizens of both Washington County, Pa., and Lee County, Iowa, where they resided.
Henry Clay Weir, the subject of this sketch, continued at home with his parents, working on the farm and attending the district school. On the 12th of June, 1862, he was married to Maggie Potter, who was a daughter of Andrew and Katharine Potter, being born in Cleveland, Ohio, Feb. 18, 1842. Her father was a native of Ireland, and died about the year 1881, at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. His wife is still living in Mt. Pleasant.
Mr. and Mrs. Weir are the parents of
five children: William, who died in infancy; Edward, May, Charles F. and Adam.
After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Weir, they still remained at the old
homestead until 1866, when he bought 130 acres in Marion Township, Lee Co.,
Iowa, and moved on to it. He added to his first purchase until he owned 280
acres. In the fall of 1875 he sold his farm in Lee County, and bought 262 acres
in Marion Township, Henry County, where he now resides, and has from time to
time added to his original purchase until he now owns 500 acres, and it is not
only one of the largest and finest but it is also one of the best cultivated
farms in the county, and he has the satisfaction of knowing that he has made it
all by his own industry. In politics he is a Republican, and was elected, in
1886, by the party as a member of the Board of Supervisors. Although a man of
reserved habits, he is always willing to lend a helping hand to promote all
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 334 & 337) (JC)
Wenger Bros., general merchants. The most enterprising firm of young men in the village of Wayland are the brothers, Joseph and Christian C. Wenger, both born in Washington County, Iowa, and are the two eldest sons of Christian and Elizabeth (Goldsmith) Wenger. Christian was born in Switzerland and is a son of Christian and Mary (Roth) Wenger, who emigrated from Germany to Hamburg, Canada, and thence to Washington County, Iowa, making the journey with a team passing through Chicago when that now great city was a village but a trifle larger than Wayland. Settling in 1832, in Marion Township, Washington Co., Iowa, the grandsire of our subject purchased a claim, upon which stood a small cabin and later entered the lands. This family were among the first settlers in that county, and both lived and died upon the farm which they had put in fine cultivation. His wife reached sixty, and Christian Wenger, Sr., the ripe age of eighty-three years. All their children but the three eldest were born in Canada, and came with them to Iowa, and perhaps no better family has ever settled in her boundary. We are pleased to make separate mention of each: John married Mary Ernst; Christian, father of our subject, wedded Elizabeth Goldsmith; Nicholas died unmarried; Joseph married Elizabeth Roth; Benjamin became the husband of Lena Gengerich; Annie married Christian Eicher; Mary wedded Joseph Rich; Lena wedded Christian Ernst, a brother of John's wife; Katie became the wife of John Miller, of Davis County; and Barbara became the wife of Christian Schlatter, the proprietor of the Wayland sawmills. Under the name of Christian Wenger the further history of the family is given. His five eldest children were born in Washington County and are: Joseph, Christian, Samuel, Jacob and Lizzie, the latter the wife of Jacob Kabel. On the farm in Henry County, John, Daniel, Henry, Ella and Levi, were born. Samuel was educated at Howe's Academy, and has taught in the public schools of this county. The two eldest sons were educated in the schools of the township, but are brilliant business men, and their retail trade is successfully managed.
In 1881 Christian C. left the farm and in 1882, in company with Benjamin Gardiner, engaged in the mercantile trade. Their new store building was erected in 1883, but prior to its completion Joseph purchased the interest of Mr. Gardiner, and the firm was changed to Wenger Bros. The firm carry a full line of general merchandise and the largest stock in the northern part of the county, their stock invoicing over $6,000. Everything is of the best, and selling goods at the lowest living profit has given these young men a trade of over $10,000 per annum, and located as they are in the midst of an excellent agricultural region, their trade is constantly increasing. They are an honor to their parents, their village and their country, and to men of such business enterprise the growth and prosperity of Henry County is due.
The wedding of Joseph, the elder member of this firm, was a brilliant affair, and was celebrated on Thursday, Oct. 27, 1887, the bride being Miss Katie, the handsome daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Henss, the veteran wagon-maker, and one of the wealthy men of Wayland. The young couple took a pleasant bridal tour, and are now cosily settled in Wayland, the birthplace of the bride, who has one of the best of husbands and a man in whom the public repose confidence.
Christian C., the younger member of the firm, but
the original partner of Mr. Gardiner, is also happily married, having, on Dec.
8, 1887, been united to Miss Ella, daughter of Isaac and Keziah Allen, of
Wayland, of which place she is a native. She was educated in the schools of the
village, and has always been regarded as one of the brightest and best of its
daughters, as her husband is known as one of its most honorable and enterprising
Christian Wenger was married in this county to Elizabeth Goldsmith, in 1850, and at that time he had only money enough to buy what was needed to furnish his home, and pay the wedding expenses. His first farming was done in Washington County on rented land, and the next year he purchased 100 acres, going in debt for the whole amount, $1,600. Eight years he remained on that tract, paid for it and saved $1,000 more, with which he bought the eighty acres on which he now resides. From 1858 he has accumulated, by the hardest labor, 605 acres in this county, and the same farm in Washington County, upon which his first start in life was made. Mr. Wenger knows what hard times are, having sold wheat for forty cents, taking one-half in trade, hogs for $2, and corn by the thousands of bushels, at fifteen cents per bushel. His lands were bought at from $20 to $40 per acre, and the farms averaged $33 per acre. He began to raise stock soon after he commenced farming, but the first two years he had not enough to sell to pay the interest on his debts. Now all this is changed; on one of the best farms in the township he has erected fine buildings, and his farm almost resembles a village in itself from the number of barns and out-buildings, and the brick mansion was erected in 1875. Mr. Wenger is a large breeder of horses, and now owns thirty head. His stallions are all imported and are four in number, three of them prize winners. They are valued at $6,000. Prefer, a four-year-old gray, took at the exposition in France, when one year old, the gold medal, which Mr. Wenger has in his possession. Duke, a Clyde stallion, likewise took the medal in Canada, from which place Mr. Wenger brought him. In fact, he is owner of more fine stallions than any farmer in Henry County.
Mr. Wenger is the largest land-owner, and the heaviest taxpayer in Jefferson Township, which is saying much for a man who came a few years ago from Switzerland without a dollar, and his sons are rapidly developing into the best of business men. A new daughter was recently welcomed into the family, Katie Henss, who wedded Joseph, the eldest son, mention of whom is elsewhere made.
To complete the history of the family, we add the sketch of Joseph Goldsmith, the father of Mrs. Wenger. Rev. Joseph Goldsmith was one of the first ministers of the Mennonite faith in Iowa, and was the second in Lee, and the first in this county to organize a church. The Trenton Church is made mention of in the sketch of the Rev. Sebastian Gerig, and no man was more widely known in this part of the State, during his lifetime, than
Rev. Goldsmith. For more than a half century he was an active and faithful member in the cause of religion, much of which time was spent as an itinerant minister. In Canada West he began preaching, having united with the church in Lancaster County, Pa. Both himself and his wife were born in Germany, were married in Lancaster County, Pa., and were the parents of twelve children, of whom one is now deceased. Elizabeth Miller became the wife of Joseph Goldsmith in 1823, and for fifty-three years she was to him a loving and devoted wife. The death of Rev. Joseph Goldsmith occurred in April, 1876; his widow, yet surviving, is now in her eighty-first year. The family first left Pennsylvania and located in Canada; from thence they removed to Butler County, Ohio. From that county and State they came to Iowa, making first a home in Lee County, settling there in the spring of 1837. The last residence of the family was in Trenton Township. The Rev. Goldsmith made a fine farm in Lee County, placing every stick upon it, and erected fine buildings.
As the children grew to maturity, they aided largely in the work. The farm in Trenton Township was partly improved, and the removal made in the spring of 1845. Their children were named: John, now husband of Barbara Slonecher; Catherine, who wedded Joseph Oxlenger, of Butler County, Ohio, is the only child deceased; Lydia yet unmarried, resides with her widowed mother at Wayland; Benjamin married Martha Houder, and resides in Trenton; Joseph married Magdalene Kinsinger, and resides in Butler County; Elizabeth is the wife of Christian Wenger, Sr.; Christian is married, and resides in Butler County, Ohio; Peter married Eva Summers, and resides near Cheyenne, Wyo.; Jacob married Lena Schonta, and resides in Wayne Township, Henry County; Nancy married Michael Roth, a resident of Jefferson Township; Magdalene is the wife of Rev. Sebastian Gerig, whose history appears elsewhere in this work; Fannie is the wife of Rev. Joseph Gengerich, of Johnson County, Iowa.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 605)(DB)
WENGER, a farmer residing on section 10, Jefferson Township, was
born in Switzerland in 1833, and is a son of Christian and Mary (Roth)
Wenger. In 1852 he became a citizen of Washington County, Iowa, his father
at that time being a man of limited means, who had worked hard in Canada
to make a home. He reared a large family, and his descendants are worthy
and most highly respected. Christian Wenger was married in this county to
Elizabeth Goldsmith, in 1850, and at that time he had only money enough to
buy what was needed to furnish his home, and pay the wedding expenses. His
first farming was done in Washington County on rented land, and the next
year he purchased 100 acres, going in debt for the whole amount, $1,600.
Eight years he remained on that tract, paid for it and saved $1,000 more,
with which he bought the eighty acres on which he now resides. From 1858
he has accumulated, by the hardest labor, 605 acres in this county, and
the same farm in Washington County, upon which his first start in life was
made. Mr. Wenger knows what hard times are, having sold wheat for forty
cents, taking one-half in trade, hogs for $2, and corn by the thousands of
bushels, at fifteen cents per bushel. His lands were bought at from $20 to
$40 per acre, and the farms averaged $33 per acre. He began to raise stock
soon after he commenced farming, but the first two years he had not enough
to sell to pay the interest on his debts. Now all this is changed; on one
of the best farms in the township he has erected fine buildings, and his
farm almost resembles a village in itself from the number of barns and
out-buildings, and the brick mansion was erected in 1875. Mr. Wenger is a
large breeder of horses, and now owns thirty head. His stallions are all
imported and are four in number, three of them prize winners. They are
valued at $6,000. Prefer, a four-year-old gray, took at the exposition in
France, when one year old, the gold medal, which Mr. Wenger has in his
possession. Duke, a Clyde stallion, likewise took the medal in Canada,
from which place Mr. Wenger brought him. In fact, he is owner of more fine
stallions than any farmer in Henry County. Mr. Wenger is the largest
land-owner, and the heaviest taxpayer in Jefferson Township, which is
saying much for a man who came a few years ago from Switzerland without a
dollar, and his sons are rapidly developing into the best of business men.
A new daughter was recently welcomed into the family, Katie Henss, who
wedded Joseph, the eldest son, mention of whom is elsewhere made.
To complete the history of the family, we add the sketch of Joseph Goldsmith, the father of Mrs. Wenger. Rev. Joseph Goldsmith was one of the first ministers of the Mennonite faith in Iowa, and was the second in Lee, and the first in this county to organize a church. The Trenton Church is made mention of in the sketch of the Rev. Sebastian Gerig, and no man was more widely known in this part of the State, during his lifetime, than Rev. Goldsmith. For more than a half century he was an active and faithful member in the cause of religion, much of which time was spent as an itinerant minister. In Canada West he began preaching, having united with the church in Lancaster County, Pa. Both himself and his wife were born in Germany, were married in Lancaster County, Pa., and were the parents of twelve children, of whom one is now deceased. Elizabeth Miller became the wife of Joseph Goldsmith in 1823, and for fifty-three years she was to him a loving and devoted wife. The death of Rev. Joseph Goldsmith occurred in April, 1876; his widow, yet surviving, is now in her eighty-first year. The family first left Pennsylvania and located in Canada; from thence they removed to Butler County, Ohio. From that county and State they came to Iowa, making first a home in Lee County, settling there in the spring of 1837. The last residence of the family was in Trenton Township. The Rev. Goldsmith made a fine farm in Lee County, placing every stick upon it, and erected fine buildings. As the children grew to maturity, they aided largely in the work. The farm in Trenton Township was partly improved, and the removal made in the spring of 1845. Their children were named: John, now husband of Barbara Slonecher; Catherine, who wedded Joseph Oxlenger, of Butler County, Ohio, is the only child deceased; Lydia yet unmarried, resides with her widowed mother at Wayland; Benjamin married Martha Houder, and resides in Trenton; Joseph married Magdalene Kinsinger, and resides in Butler County; Elizabeth is the wife of Christian Wenger, Sr.; Christian is married, and resides in Butler County, Ohio; Peter married Eva Summers, and resides near Cheyenne, Wyo.; Jacob married Lena Schonta, and resides in Wayne Township, Henry County; Nancy married Michael Roth, a resident of Jefferson Township; Magdalene is the wife of Rev. Sebastian Gerig, whose history appears elsewhere in this work; Fannie is the wife of Rev. Joseph Gengerich, of Johnson County, Iowa.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Iowa...Chicago: Acme Publishing Company, 1888. Evansville: Unigraphic, 1976 [Reprint] pp 605 (A.M.W.)
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 371)(PW)
Edward Ezekiel White
Edward Ezekiel White, a representative of a pioneer family of Henry county, is prominently identified with business interests in Tippecanoe township, where he is now engaged in the raising and feeding of stock and in the dairy business and he also operates a stone quarry which is proving a profitable source of income. He was born April 24, 1849, upon the farm which is still his home.
His paternal grandfather, Morgan White, was a native of Pennsylvania and married Miss Catherine French, who was also born in the Keystone state. Their son, Nathaniel F. White, was born near Cincinnati, Ohio, and when nine years of age accompanied his parents on their removal to Illinois, the family home being established in Brown county, that state, in 1820. There he was reared to manhood amid the wild scenes and environments of pioneer residence and he assisted in the arduous task of establishing a new home upon the frontier.
He was married in Brown county to Miss Mary A. Rose, who born in Fleming county, Kentucky, and was a daughter of Ezekiel and Catherine ( Stites ) Rose, both of whom were natives of New Jersey. She had accompanied her parents to Brown county, Illinois, in 1828. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel F. White lived upon a farm in that county until 1836, when they came to Iowa, settling in Burlington, where they resided until 1839, and then removed to Mount Pleasant.
After a year Mr. White purchased eighty acres of land on section 12, Tippecanoe township. It was a tract of wild timber and in the midst of the green forest he built a log cabin of one room. Having thus provided shelter for his family, he at once began to clear the land and placed fifty acres under the plow. He also worked at his trade of cabinet-making, which he had following his residence in Burlington and also in Mount Pleasant. His brother, Samuel S. White, built the first log cabin in Flint Hills, now Burlington. In company with his father and brother Nathaniel F. White explored the Iowa purchase as early as 1835, and there often saw the noted Sac warrior chief, Black Hawk. They staked out claims for homesteads on Des Moines river in what is now Van Buren county, Iowa, but becoming convinced that civilization would never permanently extend so far westward, they entirely abandoned their claims.
Nathaniel White was closely associated with the agricultural and industrial development of this part of the state and is numbered among the valued and worthy pioneer citizens who aided in laying broad and deep the foundation for the present progress and prosperity of the county. He died June 17, 1883, honored and respected by all who knew him and his wife survived until January 28, 1897. They were the parents of four children: Emeline, the wife of Samuel Summers; Rachel, who married Marcus K. Smith and resides in Jefferson county; John N.; and Edward E. The surviving members of the family are Rachel and Edward E., who is the youngest.
In taking up the personal history of our subject we present to our readers one who is widely and favorably known in Tippecanoe township and the central portion of Henry county. His early education, acquired in the district schools, was supplemented by a course of study in Howe’s Academy in Mount Pleasant. He was reared to farm labor and at his father’s death he purchased his sister’s interest in the old homestead, to which he has since added a tract of thirty acres so that the farm now comprises one hundred and ten acres of good land. The soil is rich and productive and he carried on general farming until 1900, since which time he has rented his farm land, while he now gives his attention to the raising and feeding of stock. He also keeps a dairy and manufactures butter, and this branch of his business is a profitable one. He also has one of the best stone quarries in the state, from which he quarries magnesia limestone. He furnishes building stone for the construction of various buildings in this vicinity. In 1873 he became the owner of a farm of ninety acres in Trenton township, which he sold in 1874.
On the 25th of October, 1877, occurred the marriage of Mr. White and Miss Dora A. Bell, who was born in Henry county and is a daughter of John Davage and Rachel ( McBride ) Bell. They had two children but one died in infancy. The surviving daughter is Florence Effie, who was born June 13, 1881, and is now acting as her father’s housekeeper, for Mrs. White was called to her final rest on the 15th of September, 1883, her remains being interred in Tippecanoe township.
Mr. White’s life has been one of continuous activity, in which he has not been denied the satisfactory reward of earnest and persistent labor. As the years have gone by he has extended the field of his operations and is today well known as a representative of stock-raising, dairying and quarrying interests in his native county. He is practical in his business views and methods and his industry is supplemented by keen business discrimination and unfaltering enterprise. Public opinion is not divided concerning his worth as a citizen and business man and many warm friends entertain for him genuine regard and confidence.
Mr. White was for many years a democrat but of late years has been independent. For fifteen years he was road supervisor, and also has held different school offices. In religious matters he is liberal and in his belief not being especially connected with any creed.
(Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa. Chicago: Hobart Publishing Co.,1906, p. 97)(PE)
GENIUS WHITE He is residing on
Section 5,Tippecanoe Twp., Henry Co., Iowa, is a native of Crawford Co., IN,
born Nov. 16,1821. He parents, Richard and Barbara (Harmon) White, the father a
native of Bullock Co., KY, the mother of Virginia, were pioneer settlers of
Indiana. They reared a family of ten children, all of whom grew to adulthood.
Five are still living and five are deceased; Ravie, b. Dec. 28, 1815 was the
deceased wife of Granville Rouse, she died Sep. 20, 1844; Susan, Born Sep.
20,1817 is the wife of Luther Benham, now residing in KY; Abraham, b. Dec. 18,
1819 is a resident of IA.; Genius, our subject, ; John S. b. Mar 25, 1824, d.Apr.
28, 1848 in Van Buren Co.; William H.., b. June 28, 1827, d. Apr 20, 1848 in
same county; Eliza, b. March 27, 1830 is the deceased wife of Elijah Redman, of
MO; Nancy. b. Dec. 6, 1832, is he wife of Elisha McCall, now residing in
Republic Co., KS; Columbus, b. Aug. 1, 1835, died in CA, and James H. b. July 9,
1840, is a resident of Los Angeles CA. The father, Richard White, was born Jan
25, 1792,and died Apr. 8, 1847. Mrs. White, b. Feb. 12, 1794, died Mar. 1, 1883.
They were both members of the M.E.Church. He was a pioneer of Van Buren, and
also of Henry Co. Our subject, Genius White was reared upon a farm in IN, and at
age 21 removed with his parents to Van Buren Co, IA, where he remained until the
Fall of 1852 when he crossed the plains with an on-team to CA. He remained there
for 11 months engaged in mining, in which he was reasonably successful. He
returned by water to New York City, thence to Rock Island, then down the river
to Burlington, and by state to this county. In 1853 he purchased 120 acres on
Sect. 22, Tippecanoe Twp. Mr. White improved the farm, residing on it until 1865
when he bought 120 acres on Sect. 22. making that his home until 1871. He then
bought 120 acres on Sect. of the same Twp. At one time he had over 300 acres,
160 of which he has given his children. Genius White was married June 29, 1849
to Mary Ann Grant, a native of Harrison Co., IN. She was born July 16, 1826, the
daughter of Wilkinson and Christiana (Ward) Grant, the father a native of KY and
the mother of NC. They came to this county in 1843, settling in Tippecanoe Twp.
on Sect. 7. Mr. Grant died here July 24, 1872 at age 78. He was a Republican.
Nine of his children survive, two living in this county: Harvey B. and Mrs.
White, the remaining seven reside in KS. Mrs. Grant who was b. Aug. 4, 1804,
makes her home with our subject.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 626)(PW)
Heman Alphonso White
Upon the farm where he now lives in Tippecanoe township, Heman A. White was born on the 7th of April, 1851, a son of Wallace and Jane E. ( Higgins ) White, the former a native of Delaware and the latter of Vermont. The father came to Henry county, Iowa, about 1838, settling in Mount Pleasant when it contained but three houses. He was a carpenter and worked at his trade in the embryo city. He also entered one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 2, Tippecanoe township, which was covered with timber and on this he cleared seventy-seven acres, which he made his home place. In 1850 he supplemented his little log cabin by a frame house, in which was a fireplace. He also built, in 1860, a barn which is still in use. He resided upon this farm until the fall of 1864, when his life’s labors were ended in death, but he is still survived by his wife, who was born in 1824, and therefore has reached the very advanced age of eighty-two years. In their family were ten children, six sons and four daughters.
Heman A. White, the sixth in order of birth, spent his boyhood days under the parental roof, remaining with his mother until 1870 and in the meantime he acquired a fair English education in the district schools. On leaving home he went to Kansas, whence he afterward made his way to Missouri with an uncle, remaining there for six months. He next removed to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, where he worked at farming for a year and a half, after which he returned to the homestead residing thereon until his marriage.
It was on the 18th of May, 1873, that he wedded Miss Elizabeth A. Fordyce, who was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, and is a daughter of Robert Fordyce, a native of Ohio. Her education was acquired in the common schools and by this marriage there have been born four children: James P., now living in California; Hugh R., at home; Effie Jane, a nurse now in Tipton, Iowa; and Ora Adele, who is a student in Howe’s Academy, which is one of the oldest and best known schools of Southeastern Iowa.
For two years after his marriage Mr. White remained upon the old homestead and then spent a year at farm labor in the employ of others. He next purchased sixty-one acres of land just west of the old home place and built thereon a new house, a stable, corn crib, a well, and made other improvements. His attention was assiduously given to the cultivation and development of the farm until 1898, when he traded that place for the interest of his brother Wallace in the old homestead and removed to the farm, purchasing the interest of the other heirs. He now has one hundred and twenty-eight acres of land in one body. The residence was built by his mother in 1887. The farm is supplied with modern equipments. Mr. White raises here the various cereals adapted to the climatic conditions of the country, and he also raises horses, cattle and hogs.
his political views he is an earnest republican, and is now serving as
president and director of the school board. His religious faith is
indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. He has
lived in the county for more than half a century and is a representative
of one of its oldest pioneer families, the name of White having been
associated with its agricultural development from the period when much of
the land was still government property, and work of improvement had
scarcely been inaugurated by the white pioneer man.
(Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa. Chicago: Hobart Publishing Co.,1906, p. 97)(PE)
S. L. WHITE is a merchant, and is also Postmaster of Swedesburg, and is now one of the oldest business men in the northern part of Henry County, being a resident since 1846. His parents, Thomas H. and Elizabeth (Kibler) White, were among the early and well known residents of the new State, but the death of Thomas White occurred ten years after locating in the county. His wife reached the ripe age of seventy-two, and died in 1875. They were former residents of Berkeley County, Va., where our subject was born. He was ten years of age when his parents removed to this county. Here Mr. White has grown from boyhood to manhood, and here he was married, and in this county his children were born. He has seen the entire county transformed from its virgin state to one of cultivation and wealth, villages and cities have been created, and the log cabins of early days have been replaced by modern residences.
His brothers and sisters were: George H., now deceased, who wedded Maria Tedrow; Mary E. became the wife of Emanuel Ernst; Deborah wedded J. W. Bird; the next was our subject; Sarah, who died unmarried; Thomas W. married Rebecca Tedrow; and Jacob L., who became the husband of Phemia Perkins. Thomas W. was a member of Company B, 25th Iowa Volunteers, and served throughout the war.
Our subject was educated at the Iowa Wesleyan University, and his attention was given to the profession of teaching for many years, his first term being at the Union School, in Wayne Township, in 1857. For sixteen consecutive winters he taught school in this county, and among his scholars who have become noted we mention: Wesley James, now a student in the State University, J. E. Connor, son of the County Recorder, and quite a well-known teacher; and many of the resident farmers, who have grown to manhood in this county, were members of his school. During the time Mr. White was engaged in teaching, he was married to Miss Drusilla Havens, who was a pupil in his school in this township. The marriage was celebrated March 6, 1861, at the home of her father, Thomas Havens, of this township. Her mother died in New Jersey, and was the mother of George, Drusilla; Mary A., deceased; Martin, deceased; and Alexander. The mother, Phoebe (Case) Havens, was a native of New Jersey, of English origin. After her death Mr. Havens wedded Mrs. Cordelia (Scoville) Jameson, near Columbus, Ohio, where the Havens family at that time resided. In 1853 they removed to this county, and until 1866 they resided here. Mr. Havens died in Crawford County, Kan., in 1876, and his widow now resides in this county. One child was the result of the second marriage, Carlton, unmarried, and residing with his mother.
S. L. White, our subject, taught school in the winter, and farmed in summer until 1866, when he removed to Sedalia, Mo., and for six months was associated in business with the Hon. Samuel L. Steele, now a member of the Iowa General Assembly for Henry County. The same year he returned to Wayne Township, and improved a tract of land owned by him, and there made his home until 1875, when Swedesburg was surveyed. He came to the new town, rented the store built by a company known as the Prairie Hall Association, and for nine years did business in the hall. In 1884 he erected his present store building, and his residence was completed in 1882. From 1875 to this date, Mr. White has done an extensive business, and from a trade in 1875 of $13,000, the business has increased to over $20,000 in 1887. Mr. White handles hardware in connection with his general stock of merchandise, and a fair invoice will rate it above $8,000.
In September, 1876, Mr. White assumed the office of Postmaster at Swedesburg, to which he was appointed in August of that year. He has served in that capacity for eleven years, and is the present incumbent. Five children have come to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. White, but two only are now living—Edmund E. and Thomas L. Those deceased are Mary. Anna and Elizabeth, all nearly grown when summoned from earth. The loss brought great grief, not only to the parents, but to a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
As a business man, Mr. White is a
fine representative of Henry County’s sons, and his eldest son is chief clerk
in the store and office. His education was received at the noted academy founded
by Prof. Howe, and in business he will receive a practical education in the
trade at Swedesburg. We welcome our subject and family to a place among those of
the pioneers who remain, and are among the reliable business men of the
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 325-326) (JC)
|Frederick L. Wiegand
FREDERICK L. WIEGAND, merchant, was born in Saxe-Meinigen, Germany, in 1837, and is the son of Andrus and Margaret (Chocher) Wiegand, both of whom were natives of Germany. By trade Andrus Wiegand was a cabinet-maker, and carried on business in Badleveinstein, a noted watering place, where he lived and died. They had only two sons, Charles F. and our subject. When ten years of age Frederick left his native land, his mother having married after the death of her first husband, Matthias Glotzbach, who preceded the family to America, settling in Philadelphia, where his wife with her two sons landed in 1846. At the age of eleven years Frederick went to work for a cotton manufacturer of that city, and at twelve was apprenticed to a shoemaker for five years, but his mother took him away when she, with her husband, left Philadelphia the next year. In 1850 they started for Iowa but stopped to visit relatives in Indiana, afterward resuming their journey via the Ohio River, but when Louisville, Ky., was reached, the mother was taken violently ill, and after stopping in that city for some time, they returned to Madison, Ind. Later the illness of Mrs. Glotzbach grew more serious, and she was taken back to Louisville, and died in the hospital in that city in 1850. Charles remained in Philadelphia, being bound to a barber, and after serving out his apprenticeship, in 1853 went to California, and for several years had a shop on board a vessel plying between San Francisco and Panama. In 1858 he quit that business, having saved considerable money, and started east to look for his brother, knowing of his mother’s death. After advertising largely in the papers without learning of the whereabouts of Frederick, he returned to Europe, thinking perhaps the orphan lad had gone back to his fatherland. Getting no tidings of him, however, he returned to America and located in Portland, Ore., married Rosina Wilhelm, and conducted a large business. His death occurred twelve years later, and his widow and five children yet reside in that city.
After the death of his mother our subject was set adrift by his step-father who refused to have any further care for him, and a young lad but fourteen years of age he started out alone in the world to seek his fortune, and for twenty-two years he neither saw nor heard of any of his relatives. He found employment first on a steamer running on the Ohio. He found it hard to get a place, everyone thinking that a lad of his years had run away from home, but by chance a gentleman having charge of a steamer kindly kept him over night, gave him his breakfast and ten cents in money, the first cash that he ever had of his own, and he found a situation the next day as cabin boy on an Ohio steamer. He only staid a short time with this man, as he was a drinking and blasphemous fellow, hut he found employment in the same capacity on another boat running between Cincinnati and St. Louis, and in the former city met a boy who was an old acquaintance. Wishing to see the South they engaged on a boat bound for New Orleans, and while in that city the trunk containing the clothes of our subject was stolen, and he was left penniless. They tried for some time to obtain passage North, but had no money and could not obtain work. Finally they became stowaways on the steamer “United States,” and for their provisions depended on the scraps left by the deck hands. Before the boys had journeyed three days the clerk spied them, and Frederick made a plain statement of the facts and was told by the clerk to remain, at least until the Captain found them out, who it seems learned the same day that they were aboard. He put them off in Mississippi, where they remained until the next steamer came along. They were given shelter and something to eat by the negroes, and then boarded a boat with the consent of the Captain and were taken to Louisville. The cold weather was at hand and their clothes were getting thin. They walked to Madison, Ind., begging food en route. The other boy, John Yeager, had relatives living at Indianapolis, but at North Madison they became separated, but Frederick being determined to find his companion, started on foot and reached Indianapolis after all kinds of adventures, where he discovered his boy friend who had found his relatives, but there was no place for Frederick. A few days later he obtained employment with Mr. Shirner, a farmer four miles east of the city, only getting the place by persistent begging, as they feared he was a runaway. They kindly eared for him during the winter, giving him clothes, and during the next summer he engaged with a son, William Shirner, until the following spring. He remained in that vicinity seven years working on farms. His education was very limited, less than six months including all his schooling in America. His wages were carefully saved, but at $5 and $10 per month his bank account was not very large when he left for Kansas in the spring of 1857, where he preempted a quarter section of land near Ossawatomie. His home was made with a Quaker, Richard Mendenhall, where old John Brown made his headquarters, and Frederick was personally acquainted with that noted man. Mr. Wiegand improved his land and for eighteen years remained a farmer. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in the Missouri State Militia, later enlisted in Company D, 15th Kansas Cavalry, serving during the remainder of the war in the western army. At West Point, Mo., he was wounded and yet carries the ball which, however, causes him little inconvenience. After the war he returned to his farm, and in 1867 was married to Miss Sarah J., daughter of Eli and Martha (Hunnicut) White. Miss White came into the neighborhood to teach school, and the acquaintance was then formed which resulted in marriage. In 1874 Mr. Wiegand sold his Kansas farm and removed to Mokena, Will Co., Ill., where for some time he operated a fruit farm and was subsequently elected Justice of the Peace, serving two years. The residence in Mokena lasted nine years, and in July, 1883, he disposed of the Illinois property and started to Oregon, hut stopping in Salem to visit relatives of Mrs. Wiegand, and a business investment offering at Hillsboro, he purchased the store and goods of William Mickelwaite, and has conducted the business to this date, having a large stock of general merchandise and a fine trade. He was appointed Justice of the Peace after coming to the village, but at present attends solely to his mercantile business, being aided by his wife and their only son, Charles F., born in Kansas in 1868.
Mr. Wiegand is a successful business
man and has accumulated a fine property, educated himself in language and
business methods, and intends having his son graduate in a commercial college.
Mr. Wiegand is a member of John L. Jordan Post 246, G. A. R., and is at present
Post Quartermaster. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the Baptist
Church. Mrs. Wiegand is a member of the Society of Friends.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 331-332) (JC)
JOHN WILLEFORD, one of the pioneers of Henry County,
Iowa, was born in Clay County, Ky., in 1807. His parents were James and
Jane (Bales) Willeford, natives of North Carolina, who settled in Clay County in
an early day. John Willeford was united in Marriage with Miss Susana
Smallwood, by whom he had eight children: Henderson M., a farmer of Center
Township, Henry County; Paulina, wife of David Hitt, of Swift Count, Minn.;
Belinda, deceased; Celia, deceased; Amanda J., wife o J.D. Trowbridge, of Henry
Count; William H.H., of this county; Sarah A., wife of Hiram Jones, of Mt.
Pleasant; Adeline A., wife of George Pixley, of California; she died in 1887.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 402)(PW)
|Charles G. Willits
CHARLES G. WILLITS, one of the prominent citizens of Henry County, Iowa, residing on section 34, Marion Township, was born Jan. 12, 1821, in Fairfield County, Ohio, and is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Gossage) Willits, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Maryland. Samuel Willits was married three times. His first wife was Miss Mary Harrison, by whom he had one daughter, Sarah A., now living in Montgomery County, Iowa, at the advanced age of seventy years. Flis second wife was Elizabeth Gossage, by whom he had seven children, four sons and three daughters: Charles G.; Jesse married Mary Ann Shields, resides in Mercer County, Ill.; George died in 1851, in New Boston, Ill.; Tabitha, deceased wife of Samuel Sheriff, who is a resident of Geneseo, Ill.; Elizabeth J. died at the age of twelve; Mary R. died in infancy; Job died in Chicago in April, 1887, where his wife and children yet live. Mrs. Willits departed this life in March, 1831, in Fairfield County, Ohio. She was a devoted Christian. Mr. Willits was again married, in 1836, to Miss Nancy Hall, a native of Virginia. In the fall of 1837 they removed to Mercer County, Ill., settling upon a farm, where the children grew to manhood and womanhood. Mr. Willits’ third wife died in August, 1874.
Our subject was united in marriage, in Mercer County, Ill., with Miss Rachel Thornton, a native of Pennsylvania, a daughter of Eli Thornton. Mr. and Mrs. Willits were the parents of four children, who were born in Mercer County, Ill.: Charlotte, wife of William Hendricks, a farmer in Muscatine County, Iowa; Sarah married John Litzenburg, a farmer of Hamilton County, Neb.; Alice, the wife of Orville Campbell, a farmer in Wano, Kan.; Thornton married Miss Mary Carrons, the only daughter of Robert Carrons, a large landowner in Henry County, residing in Center Township. In the spring of 1855 Mr. Willits emigrated to Henry County, Iowa, where he bought 320 acres of land partially improved on sections 35, 34, 26 and 27. In this county three other children were born to them: Samuel died at the age of sixteen; Ledru married Miss Nancy Lee, a native of Iowa; Novello is the widow of Leander Shields. The mother departed this life in March, 1862; she was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church, and a noble wife and mother, and was buried in the Ebenezer Cemetery.
Mr. Willits, in 1863, married Miss Ellen Cozier, a daughter of John and Hannah (Carter) Cozier, both of whom were natives of Clarke County, Ohio; the former born Dec. 21, 1810, died June 7, 1863, and the latter born Oct. 9, 1811, died May 25, 1857. They were the parents of thirteen children—Benjamin, Ellen, Sophronia, Minerva, Sarah A., Hugh, Henry, Lisset, Martha Jane, Mary Frances, John C., William H. and Harriet V. Of these four are dead—Sarah A., Minerva, William H. and Henry. Mrs. Willits was born in Clarke County, Ohio, and attended school in her native State, completing her education in Springfield, Ohio. She is a fine scholar, taking an active interest in all educational work, and had seven sisters who were teachers, and a brother who had charge of the schools of Mt. Pleasant for thirteen years. To Mr. and Mrs. Willits have been born two children: John C., now in Boston, Mass., finishing his education for the ministry: Wilmot Charles is attending school in Mt. Pleasant. Mr. Willits has taken great pride in educating his children, and all are well qualified to hold any position they are called upon to fill. Teaching was always Mrs. Willits’ favorite occupation, and she spared no pains to prepare herself for her work, and withheld no energy that was necessary to success. Mr. and Mrs. Willits have truly a model family, none of them having used tobacco and liquor in any way. Mr. Willits is one of the pioneer settlers of Henry County, and is entirely a self-made man. Without a cent in his pocket he began life working by the month, saving his earnings, and in this way got a start. He bought eight acres of land which he improved, afterward buying a farm of eighty acres, adding to this until he had at one time a fine farm of 400 acres, but has sold and given to his son Thornton until he now has 287 acres. He sold his farm of 400 acres in Mercer County, Ill., and came to Henry County, purchasing the land as above stated, and all this he has made by his own industry and economy. An honorable, upright man, always ready to advance any public enterprise, he has the respect of the whole community. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Willits is a zealous Republican, and is always working for the advancement of his party.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp. 342-343)(PW)
JOHN WILSON, one of the pioneer settlers of Henry County, was born in Clay County, Ky., July 10, 1809. He was reared in Clay County, receiving his education in a log school-house. He was married in that State to Miss Mary Thomas, and in 1835 they left Kentucky on horseback, bringing with them their three children and all the worldly goods they possessed. They first stopped for a short time on Brush Creek, and shortly after they purchased a claim on section 20, Center Township. Mr. Wilson building a log cabin where they lived for four years. At the end of this time a fire destroyed their cabin, which was their all. This was supposed to be the work of an incendiary, the fire probably being kindled by a man who wanted the claim. Before leaving Kentucky this same misfortune happened to them, and now for the second time a fire destroyed their home, but a kind neighbor, Mrs. Maulding, gave them shelter until Mr. Wilson could provide another home for his family. A rude log cabin was constructed and into this they moved before the floor was laid. They had no bedstead, but putting up poles on which they placed some straw, with a free conscience they slept better than many a millionaire in his luxuriant home. Mr. Wilson was taken sick about this time, and without money the future indeed looked dark, but Mr. Rea gave him $75, which was truly a godsend to him, and in this way he was enabled to keep the wolf from the door. At this time a little child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, and their noble friend, Mrs. Willeford, took the mother and her baby to her own home, caring for them for seven weeks until they could care for themselves. As the darkest hour is just before the dawn, so in the case of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, the clouds now began to vanish and prosperity to smile upon them; Mr. Wilson worked hard and soon accumulated a competency.
Nine children came to bless their union, seven of whom yet live: David, of Grundy Center, Iowa; Alford, of Page County, Iowa, enlisted in the 25th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving as Second Lieutenant of the company; Sarah, wife of William Melton, and first white child born in this county, residing on the old homestead; Philip is a lumber dealer of Ft. Collins, Col.; Jemima J., wife of Peter Perine, both deceased; Jonathan and Elisha, twins; the former now residing in Mt. Pleasant, enlisted in the 25th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and the latter resides in Baxter, Jasper Co., Iowa. Rachel, wife of George Cooper, of Osborne County, Kan.; John, of Greene County, Iowa; Mary, wife of Gabriel Burton, of Henry County, Iowa.
In polities, Mr. Wilson was a Democrat. He and his wife were
earnest Christian people, and were highly respected in the community where they
resided. Always honest and upright, Mr. Wilsons’ word was as good as his bond.
The mother departed this life Oct. 16, 1873, being sixty-two years of age. She
preceded her husband to the home of the redeemed thirteen years, he dying on the
26th of January, 1887, at the age of seventy-six.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 326-327) (JC)
|John C. Winters
This enterprising and well-known business man of
Mt. Pleasant was born in LaSalle County, Ill., Sept. 25, 1848. His parents are
John and Margaret (Coughlagn) Winters. His father, who deserves more than a
passing mention in this work, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, in 1819, and
received his education in his native country. When seventeen years of age, in
the company with his parents, he sought a home in the New World. Soon after
landing in America he went to Syracuse, N. Y., where he learned the trade of a
stone-cutter, in which he gained a thorough knowledge which in after years he
put to such good use, and which proved the foundation of his large fortune.
Leaving Syracuse he went to Toronto, Canada, where he was employed on the
Queen's College, then building. From Toronto he went to Rice Lake, where he
worked on the canal locks, which were then in the course of construction. He was
married in Lockport, N. Y., and in 1844 removed to LaSalle County, Ill, where he
remained until 1856, in the meantime working on the stone works and in the
construction of the Michigan Canal. When the building for the Iowa Hospital for
the Insane was in the course of erection in Mt. Pleasant, Henry Co., Iowa, he
removed there in the hope of securing employment, in which he succeeded. Here
the thorough knowledge of his trade, and his excellent judgment of the different
varieties of stone, stood him in good stead. He saw that a beautiful and durable
quality of stone was obtained near by, and exercising good judgment in the
selection bought a tract of land, on which he opened up the now widely-known
Winters' Stone Quarries, an enterprise which has been of great benefit to Mt.
Pleasant, and which has made a goodly sum for its proprietor. He has taken large
contracts for work on the Burlington & Missouri and Chicago, Burlington
& Quincy Roads, and has carried as many as 400 men on his pay-rolls at one
time, distributing much money in this region. Mr. Winters lives in a beautiful
home, adjoining Mt. Pleasant, on a farm of 600 acres, which he has stocked with
some of the finest blooded horses and Durham cattle in the State, in the raising
of which he has been very successful, bringing to that business the same
sagacity and good judgement which have been among his distinguishing
characteristics. He has raised and owned some of the finest and fastest horses
in the State, among them the renowned Stonewall Jackson, which with other fine
stock was burned to death by a fire which consumed his barn in 1879. Mr.
Winters' landed possessions in Henry County comprise about 1,700 acres, most of
which is under cultivation.
The history of the life of John Winters is full
of encouragement to young men just starting. He began life without any capital
other than willing hands, a clear head, and integrity of purpose. Applying
himself with fidelity to what he had to do, he worked diligently and honestly,
and has from this capital only made himself one of the wealthiest men in this
section of the State. The pursuit of wealth has not hardened his heart, or
narrowed his nature, which is too often the case. His charities are numerous and
liberal, and a deserving applicant is never turned away empty handed. He is a
member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he stands high. In politics, he is an
uncompromising Jeffersonian Democrat, and is thoroughly posted in National,
State and county matters. He and his wife were the parents of four children, of
whom two sons, John C. and Michael F. are now living.
John C. Winters, whose name heads this
biographical sketch, was quite young when his parents settled in Mt. Pleasant.
He received a good education at Howe's Academy in that city, and since arriving
at manhood has assisted his father in his business. For years he has been
manager of the quarries at Mt. Pleasant, with large numbers of men under his
charge, and attending to all the details of the large business. He was married
in September 1869, to Miss Mary Ellen O'Hare, who was born in St. Louis in 1846,
and is a daughter of Samuel and Mary (McKenna) O'Hare. Their union has been
blessed with ten children, eight of whom are now living: Laura M. and Mary S.,
twins; Samuel L., John, Grace C., Francis C., Michael H. and Gertrude; two died
Like his father, Mr. Winters is a staunch
Democrat, and though he has never sought office has been honored by his
fellow-citizens with positions of trust and responsibility. He is a friend of
liberal education, and has been President of the School Board. He was also a
Director in the Agricultural Society, and now is the Secretary of the Democratic
County Central Committee. Inheriting the sterling qualities of his honest
father, as a straightforward, honorable and enterprising business man, no man
stands higher in Henry County. He lives in a beautiful home near his father,
adjoining the city of Mt. Pleasant, and under his hospitable roof from time to
time are gathered many of his friends.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 633)(PW)
W. H. WISE, of the firm of W. H. Wise & Co., hardware dealers, of Winfield, Iowa, established a hardware store in 1887. It is one of the neatest stores in that part of the county. They carry a full and complete line of shelf hardware, and the business cannot help but be a success when conducted by the genial proprietors, W. H. and C. I. Wise. In connection with hardware they also carry a full line of machinery, including thrashers manufactured by the Springfield Engine and Thrashing Company, of Springfield, Ohio, and also D. M. Osborne & Co.’s harvesters and mowers, both of which are leading machines. They also carry first-class buggies, received from Washington, Iowa. The members of the firm are both young men, and by their fair dealing have gained a liberal share of patronage.
W. H. Wise was born in Greene County,
Pa., April 13, 1856. He is a son of Morgan Wise, now a resident of this county.
While yet an infant, his parents removed to La Salle, Ill., where Mr. Wise grew
to manhood. He was educated in the common schools of Illinois, and also attended
school in Winfield, to which place they removed in 1872, and subsequently he
took a partial course at the University of Mt. Pleasant, in the fall of 1874. In
1879 Mr. Wise began business for himself; he purchased an interest in the
grocery and restaurant business, and the firm was known as Glass & Wise. The
following spring the business was sold out and he began work in a clothing
store. In the spring of 1885 he purchased a half interest in the store and the
firm name was again Glass & Wise. in the fall of 1886 he sold his interest
to Mr. Glass, and engaged in the hardware and implement business, as before
stated, in 1878 W. H. Wise led to the marriage altar Ellie L. Farr, daughter of
Herman H. and Almira Farr. Mrs. Wise is a native of Vermont. One child was born
of this union, Lorena Myrtle. Mr.
Wise is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he affiliates
with the Democratic party.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 340-341) (JC)
|Max E. Witte, M.D.
MAX E. WITTE, M.D., First Assistant Physician at
the Iowa State Hospital for the Insane at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, was born in
Berlin, Prussia, on the 31st of January, 1859. His parents were G.W. and W. (Rakow)
Witte. Our subject came to America with them in the autumn of 1864. The family
located in Jackson County, Iowa. Max E. received his literary education at
Galena, Ill., and then took a three-years course at the State University of
Iowa, graduating from the medical department in the class of 1881. He read
medicine with Prof. W.D. Middleton, M.D., and began the practice of his
profession at Davenport, Iowa. He was appointed to his present responsible
position, and entered upon his duties as First Assistant Physician at the Iowa
State Hospital in November, 1881. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, and
Republican in politics. Dr. Witte has proved an able assistant to Dr. Gilman,
being well skilled in his profession, and earnest and conscientious in the
discharge of the responsible duties of his office.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 329)(PW)
|Charles D. Wood
CHARLES D. WOOD, residing on section 21, Center Township, Henry Co., Iowa, was born in Quincy, Ill., Dec. 12, 1837, and is the youngest son of Daniel and Edith Wood, the former a native of Long Island, N. Y., and the latter, whose maiden name was Edith Athens, of North Carolina. When young people, they came to Hamilton County, Ohio, with their parents, where they became acquainted and united in marriage. After a few years’ residence in Ohio, they removed to Lawrenceburg, Ind., where they remained for three years, and securing some forest land, they hewed down the trees and developed a fine farm. Becoming dissatisfied with the country on account of ill-health, they returned to Ohio, remaining there but a short time, next taking up their residence in Quincy, Ill. At the expiration of two years, they left that city, crossed the “Father of Waters” into Iowa, locating near Lowell, Henry County, and after a residence of six months, removed for the last time to the homestead which was occupied by them until, by the hand of death, they were called hence, the father departing this life Sept. 10, 1881, in the eighty-fifth year of his age, the mother June 8, 1866, aged sixty-two years. Both were consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for over forty years. Mr. Wood was an earnest advocate of every charitable and noble cause, contending fearlessly for the rights of his fellowmen of whatever race, color or condition, and for many years was proud to be a member of that heroic little band of Abolitionists, who so nobly battled and suffered in the cause of human rights, and later, when the war cloud that for years had been gathering, burst, and Ft. Sumter was fired upon, at the appeal from the National Government at Washington for money to arm and equip the soldiers in the field, he proved his patriotic faith by cheerfully tendering all his available means to his country, receiving from the Government promise to pay, and continued to do this from time to time, until the war was ended, and the country saved. During the darkest days of the Rebellion, when the armies for the Union were beaten back, the country seemed to he trembling in the balance, and the hope of many had wellnigh given way to despair, he was admonished that there was great risk in placing so much of his hard-earned savings in the Government. To this, he promptly replied, “that if the Government went to pieces, it would probably be upon that theory, and that if we should all act on that supposition the Government would surely not be maintained. Slavery cannot always exist, or the slave power much longer rule, and in the justness of our cause, and with honest Abe at the head, we are sure to win.”
Mr. and Mrs. Wood were the parents of seven children, four of whom are still living: John F., of San Bernardino, Cal.; Theodocia B., wife of John Dawson, of Henry County, Iowa; Daniel C., also of Henry County. Charles D. Wood, our subject, received his education in the primitive schools of the time, and in 1838 came to Henry County with his parents, remaining on the farm until 1856, when he went to Kansas, then a Territory, engaging in the border ruffian war tinder old Jim Lane, and using his vote and influence in making that State a home for free men. In the fall of 1860, having conceived a desire to visit the place of his birth, he bad adieu to Kansas, the land of the cayote and border ruffian, and turning his face toward the rising sun, he started in a private conveyance, in due time hailed the ferryman at Nauvoo, and crossed into the land of his early childhood, remaining there till July 13, 1861. He enlisted in Company K, 2d Illinois Cavalry, being mustered in at Camp Butler, near Springfield, where the regiment was encamped, and then went to Paducah, Ky., the regiment remaining there for a year. During this time Mr. Wood was taken sick with measles, and was discharged April 30, 1862. Like the prodigal, he then returned home, and on the 12th of February, 1863, was married to Miss Addie E. Willeford, daughter of Samuel and Rhoda Willeford, formerly of Kentucky, but pioneers of this county. She was born May 8, 1844, in Henry County, Iowa, and five children graced their union—Florence H., Edith A., Ada B., Viola May and Charles R. R.
Shortly after marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Wood located on a farm three miles south of Mt. Pleasant, residing there until the spring of 1873, when they removed to the vicinity of Weaverville. Trinity Co., Cal., purchasing a farm in the Golden State, located on the banks of Trinity River, from whence could be seen the snow-capped mountains all the year. Two very prosperous years were passed, but owing to the rough state of society, and the lack of educational advantages for their growing family, the parents determined to sell and return to Iowa. Carrying out this purpose, they purchased the farm where they reside one and a half miles south of the city of Mt. Pleasant, and again became residents of Henry County.
Mr. Wood’s belief is in the Right,
having no special preference for sects or creeds. A stanch Republican in
politics, he believes that the great evil of intemperance can be so surely
suppressed in no other way then through the policy of Prohibition advocated by
that party. Believing that the protective policy of the Republican party to
American industries will be most beneficial to the American laborer, and will
more rapidly develop our latent resources, bringing prosperity to all
industrious classes of society; believing that through the Republican party we
may hope to see the ballot extended to the noble women of our land, bringing in
its wake a higher state of refinement, more humane and better laws; believing
that no other party is so willing to accord to the Union soldier the justice and
honor he is entitled to for the grand achievement wrought on the many bloody
battlefields of the South for the maintenance of the Union, and the suffering
endured in hospital and prison pen; he sincerely hopes, and confidently expects,
if he should live to a ripe old age, to see these policies maintained, and in
consequence, to witness the brightest, most prosperous and happy era that ever
dawned on the American people.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 344-345) (JC)
|John S. Woolson
HON. JOHN S. WOOLSON, senior partner of the prominent law firm of Woolson & Babb, of Mt. Pleasant, and a member of the Iowa State Senate, was born at Tonawanda, Erie Co., N. Y., Dec. 6, 1840. His father, Theron W. Woolson, was an early settler of Henry County, and a leading attorney (a sketch of his life and his portrait will be found elsewhere in this work). His mother’s maiden name was Clarissa Simson. The family on both sides are descended from patriotic ancestry in the war of the Revolution. His paternal grandfather participated in the war of Independence and in that of 1812, while his maternal grandfather took an active part in the latter war.
Our subject, as his history shows, was true to the patriotic instincts of his forefathers, and bore his part in the War for the Union in 1861-65. He received his primary education in his native town, and when sixteen years of age (June, 1856), he accompanied his parents to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, where he entered the Iowa Wesleyan University as a student and graduated with the honors of his class in 1860. He at once engaged in the study of law in his father’s office, but the breaking out of the war excited his patriotic ardor, and throwing aside his Blackstone and Chitty, he forsook the peaceful paths of the law for a position in the United States Navy. He was appointed Assistant Paymaster of the United States Navy in February, 1862, and was assigned to the United States sloop-of-war “Housatonic,” of the South Atlantic squadron. He continued to serve on the “ Housatonic “ till she was sunk by a Confederate torpedo boat off Charleston Harbor, Feb. 17, 1864. The sloop sank within fifteen minutes after the torpedo was exploded. Mr. Woolson succeeded in securing himself to a floating spar which proved but a precarious support, as it was overloaded and submerged by the numbers clinging to it. By the timely arrival of a boat from another vessel of the squadron, he and his companions were rescued from their perilous position.
He was next assigned to the double turreted monitor “Monadnock,” then in service in the North and South Atlantic squadron. He participated in all the attacks on Ft. Sumter and both attacks on Ft. Fisher. He served at different times as signal officer of the squadron, and during the attacks on Ft. Fisher had command of one of the pilot-houses of the monitor. He was up the James River at the taking of Crow’s Nest and the capture of Richmond. He was also at “Butler’s Dutch Gap Canal,” and served till the surrender of the Confederate army and the close of the war. He was previously sent with an expedition to Havana to capture a rebel ram in those waters. The ram failed to accept the challenge, but sought protection under the guns of the Spanish forts. Mr. Woolson resigned his position in the regular service in December, 1865, returned to Mt. Pleasant and resumed the study of law with his father as preceptor, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1866. He at once formed a law partnership with his father, under the firm name of T. W. & John S. Woolson, which connection continued till the death of his father, Nov. 8, 1872. In January, 1873, he formed the existing partnership with Hon. W. I. Babb.
Mr. Woolson has taken a prominent part in public affairs, and has been chosen to fill various offices of honor and trust. He has served several years as a member and Secretary of the School Board of Mt. Pleasant. He was appointed a member of the Henry County Board of Commissioners of Insanity in 1870, and was elected President of the Board, and has held that position continuously since. Mr. Woolson was elected by the Republican party to the State Senate in 1875, was re-elected and served six years. He was appointed Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, was chosen President pro tem of the Senate, and had the honor of presiding at the re-inauguration of Gov. J. H. Gear. He was re-elected in 1885, and again elected President pro tem, which position he still holds. In 1884 he was the Republican candidate for Congress for the First Iowa Congressional District. Mr. Woolson had taken positive ground while in the State Senate in favor of the right of the State and General Government to control within constitutional limits the establishment of rates of passenger and freight traffic, and to protect the people against any extortion by monopolies. Notwithstanding the fact that he had thus antagonized the powerful railway influence, and that his opponent, the Hon. Benjamin J. Hall, had the earnest and undivided support of the railway corporations, in addition to the prestige of an opposition majority of from 800 to 1,000, which had been cast against the Republican ticket in the two previous elections, Mr. Woolson was defeated by but seventy-three votes, a high compliment to his personal popularity.
Mr. Woolson was united in marriage at Mt. Pleasant, April 9, 1867, to Miss Mira T. Bird, daughter of Dr. W. Bird, a prominent physician and early settler of that city, and whose history is given on another page. Mrs. Woolson was born at Frederickstown, Knox Co., Ohio. Five children were born of their union, four of whom are living: Paul B., born May 13, 1868; Ralph T., born May 25, 1871, died Nov. 8, 1886; Miriam, born May 19,1873; Grace S., born July 17, 1875; Ruth S., born Oct. 18, 1880. Mr. Woolson, his wife and three elder children, are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the McFarland Post No. 20, G. A. R., and of the Iowa Commandery of the Loyal Legion. He is a Master Mason, and a member of Mt. Pleasant Lodge No. 8. He and his wife are members of Bethlehem Chapter No. 38, of the order of the Eastern Star.
The subject of this sketch is so well known that anything that might be said in a short sketch
like this would not add to or detract from his high standing in the community
with the present generation, but as this work is designed as a standard
reference for coming generations, it is eminently proper to state that Mr.
Woolson stands in the front rank of his profession in Henry County, and is among the leading lawyers of the State. He
is an indefatigable worker and student, possessing qualities of mind and a high
order of talent that eminently fit him for the profession of the law and a
foremost place among the legislators of the country. As a lawyer he is quick to
analyze the subject matter of the business in hand, careful and methodical in
the preparation of cases, eloquent and logical in his addresses to court and
jury, and is always to be relied upon to present the claims of his clients in
the best possible light and to guard their interests with ability, integrity and
fidelity. As a legislator he has always proved true to the interests of his
constituents, consistent with his broad views of public policy. He served on
important committees, in the discharge of whose duties he has always borne a
prominent part. As a speaker, he is fluent, logical and eloquent. His well-known
habit of thoroughly investigating any subject on which he is to speak adds force
to his remarks and carries conviction to the minds of his audience. Possessing
these characteristics, it is not strange that his people should favor him with
their choice for positions of public honor and trust, and that they are proud to
acknowledge him as a leader among them.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 327-328) (JC)
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 423)(PW)
S. B. WYSE, the senior member of the firm of Wyse & Schantz, is a well-known resident of Wayland, who for several years has made Jefferson Township his home, and has become an important factor in its business interests. He was born in Fulton County, Ohio, in 1845, and is the son of Peter and Catherine (Brandt) Wyse, both of whom were natives of the Canton of Berne, Switzerland. The parents of Peter Wyse lived and died in that country, and Peter came to America when a young man, and was married to Catherine Brandt in Ohio. Her father emigrated to America in 1817, bringing his family with him. Only his second and third daughters arc now living: Elizabeth, widow of Jacob Gyman, resides in Fulton County, Ohio, and Catherine, mother of Mr. Wyse, now a widow in her eighty-first year, and at present an inmate of his home in Wayland. Two other daughters, Annie and Barbara, are now deceased.
Our subject was reared upon a farm in Fulton County, Ohio, and secured a practical education, fitting him for conducting a successful business. His first experience away from the homestead began in his twentieth year, when he went to Butler County, Ohio, and engaged in farm work. A few months later he returned home, and remained until 1867, when his first visit was made to Henry County, Iowa, and he was pleased with the prospects of the future, which was rapidly developing. He for a time engaged in farm work, threshing, etc., and after a two years’ residence, he returned to the home of his boyhood. The acquaintance having been formed while here of Miss Hannah Conrad, he returned to Henry County in 1870, and they were married and began life for themselves in this county. Her parents were Daniel and Maria (Klopfenstine) Conrad, who were among the early settlers in this part of the State, locating about 1840, but after a long lifetime of usefulness both were gathered to “that bourne from which no traveler returns.” Their memory is dear to those of the old pioneers who yet remain.
After his marriage, Mr. Wyse taught several terms of school in this county, two at Prospect school-house. In 1883 he engaged in company with Mr. Jacobs in the mercantile business at Wayland, the firm opening a new stock of general merchandise. In February, 1886, Mr. Jacobs retired from the firm, Mr. C. C. Schantz purchasing his interest, and the two gentlemen, Wyse and Schantz, who were reared together in the Buckeye State, receiving their lesson in the school-boy days within two miles of each other, are now men of mature years, and are partners in a splendid retail store, doing a successful business. In January, 1888, Mr. Wyse was appointed Postmaster of Wayland, under President Cleveland’s administration, in recognition of his life-long devotion to the creed of the Democratic party, of which he has always been a hearty supporter. The wife of Mr. Wyse became the mother of five children—Ella, Emma, Frank, Lester and an infant. The joy of the parents was greatly enhanced by their births, but the “silent reaper” marked the loving wife and tender mother for his own. Christmas Eve of 1885, the births of Lester and a twin brother occurred, the latter dying at birth, and the life of their mother ended one week later. Sorrow and joy come to all, but the merry peals of the church bells ringing in the glad New Year, found the bereaved husband full of grief and care for his motherless children, but in him they have found an affectionate father, who supplies their every want.
Side by side in the village churchyard the remains of mother and child repose. Both herself and husband were faithful members of the Omish Mennonite Church, and Christians in the fullest sense.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 320-321) (JC)
BALSE YAKLE, residing in Henry County on section 27, in Tippecanoe Township, was born in Baltimore, Md., Sept. 30, 1834, and is a son of Luke and Ann Eliza (Funk) Yakle, both of whom were natives of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. Leaving friends, home and native land, they emigrated to America in 1834, settling in Baltimore, Md., where they lived for a few months, then removing to Wheeling, W. Va., making that city their home for two years. Removing to Indiana, they remained there for a short time and then went to Butler County, residing there for five years. They then moved to Henry County, settling in Salem Township, where he remained until 1843, at which time he entered a farm of forty acres in Tippecanoe Township, on which he remained five years, and then bought a farm of eighty acres on section 29 of Tippecanoe Township, which he improved and cultivated, and there resided until his death, which occurred May 1, 1885, at the age of seventy-eight. His widow still lives on the home farm. They reared a family of eleven children, seven of whom are now living: Mary Eliza, wife of John Nau, of Tippecanoe Township; Balse; Catherine, wife of John Casey, of Adams County, Iowa; Frederick, a resident of Tippecanoe Township; Mary, first wedded to Sanford Abbey, and after his death married Thomas Bicknell; Christiana, wife of William Church, of Tippecanoe Township; Elva died at the age of twenty. The father and mother of this family were members of the Lutheran Church, and estimable people.
Our subject was reared on a farm, but when a lad of fifteen began to learn the miller’s trade, and at the age of twenty-one left home, going to Pike’s Peak, Col., in 1860, remaining about two years engaged in mining. At the expiration of that time he came back to Henry County, where he has since resided. He was married, March 5, 1863, to Martha Smith, a native of Highland County, Ohio, born May 22, 1840, and a daughter of Jefferson and Lydia (Pickering) Smith, both of whom were natives of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Smith came to this county in 1849, and here the father died Oct. 1, 1862, at the age of seventy-one, and the mother died Sept. 15, 1859, at the age of fifty-six. Seven of their children survive them: Rachel, wife of James Nicholson, of Madison County, Iowa; Milton, of Tippecanoe Township; John, a teacher in Ohio; Samuel, a farmer residing in Taylor County, Iowa; Jonathan, residing in Adams County, Mo.; Mrs. Yakle, and Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Hightown, residing in Madison County, Iowa.
Mr. Yakle owns 257 acres of
well-cultivated land, everything on his farm denoting thrift and enterprise,
and all that he has was made by his own honest labor, assisted by his good wife.
He is a member of the Baptist Church, and his wife of the Society of Friends.
They are always ready to help a. fellow traveler through life’s journey, and
have the esteem of all. Mr. Yakle has held various township offices with credit
to himself and to the satisfaction of .his constituents. Politically he is a
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 429-430) (JC)
John Wesley Zickefoose
There is perhaps no line of business that demands more close and unremitting effort than does farming and yet there is none which yields more safe or sure returns than this same occupation if pursued in a district where the land is naturally rich and productive as it is in Iowa, responding readily to the care and labor bestowed upon it. Mr. Zickefoose has verified the truth of this assertion in the control and improvement of his excellent farm, which is situated on section 11, Wayne township. He is moreover a native son of this township, born October 17, 1860.
His father, Henry Clark Zickefoose, was born in Virginia and was a son of Benjamin Zickefoose, who was likewise a native of that state. Having reached adult age the grandfather married Susan Buzzard, who was also born in the Old Dominion. They came to Henry county among its pioneer settlers and their first dwelling was little more than a rail pen which furnished them shelter for a brief period until a log house could be built. In that pioneer structure they lived for many years and it was in this county amid pioneer surroundings and environments that Henry Clark Zickefoose was reared, sharing with the family in all the hardships and trials incident to frontier life. He wedded Miss Mary Ann Yancey, who was born in the state of Indiana, September 27, 1841, and was a daughter of Ambrose and Phebe Jane (Goff) Yancey, who were also natives of that state.
The Yancey family arrived in Henry county sometime after the arrival of the Zickefoose family and settled in Canaan township near Mount Pleasant, where the daughter, Mary Ann, remained with her parents until she gave her hand in marriage to Henry C. Zickefoose on the 11th of January, 1859. The young couple then removed to a farm in the northern part of Wayne township, where they lived until 1862, when Mr. Zickefoose responded to his country’s call for aid, his sympathies being with the Union cause. He joined Company H of the Twenty-fifth Iowa Infantry and was ever a brave and loyal soldier. Although he entered the army as a private he was serving as sergeant at the time of his death. He went to the south and laid down his life upon the altar of his country, being killed in the battle of Arkansas Post on the 11th January, 1863. His widow remained with her son John Wesley upon the old homestead property until February, 1902, when they sold a portion of that farm and bought one hundred and twenty-five acres of improved land on section 11, Wayne township, known as the Squire Hammond farm. Although that farm was in possession of different people at different times it was owned by J.W. Hammond for twelve years, during which time he erected thereon a splendid country residence containing nine rooms and heated with furnace. It is one of the finest homes in the township. The mother lived with her son John up to the time of her demise, which occurred on the 25th of April, 1902.
John Wesley Zickefoose, reared under the parental roof, acquired his education in the common schools and in Howe’s Academy at Mount Pleasant. He was less than two years of age at the time of his father’s death but he remained upon the old homestead with his mother and as he grew in years and strength relieved her more and more of the responsibilities and care connected with the home farm and in her declining years provided for her a good home. He has always followed farming and as before stated continued upon the farm which his father had purchased until February, 1902, when he removed to section 11, Wayne township, purchasing here one hundred and twenty-five acres of land. He has a splendidly improved property equipped with modern buildings. He remodeled the barn which is twenty-four by sixty feet with an L, eighteen by sixty feet. This was unroofed by the cyclone in 1903, but he at once repaired the damages. He has built a double corn crib and a granary, also sheds for hogs and he has a well upon the place on hundred and eighty feet deep. There is also a good carriage and implement house and he likewise has the latest improved machinery, with which he performs the work of the fields. He still retains the ownership of twenty-five acres of timberland in Crawford township, Washington county, which is valuable oak timber. This was a portion of the land which his grandfather originally owned and he uses the tract only for pasturage and also takes fence posts from it.
His labors are in the line of general agriculture and in addition to the tilling of the soil he raises some stock, now having ten head of Black Percheron and five head of Hambletonian horses, fifteen head of Durham cattle and one hundred and fifty-five head of Poland China hogs. He also raises about five hundred chickens each year and about sixty turkeys.
On the 19th of December, 1883, Mr. Zickefoose was married to Miss Olletha Jackson, a native of Louisa county, who was educated in the public schools there. Her parents were Elias Gibson and Margaret (Beauchamp) Jackson, the former a native of White county, Indiana, and the latter of Tippecanoe county, that state. Her paternal grandparents were Joseph and Phebe (Cox) Jackson and her maternal grandparents were John and Nancy (Wilson) Beauchamp.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Zickefoose have been born eight children: Henry Clark, born January 12, 1884; Alta May, April 13, 1888; Howard Gibson, April 8, 1890; William Ernest, January 18, 1893; Russell Asbury, April 10, 1895; John W., February 2, 1900; Mary Edna, November 10, 1902; and Fredrick Merle, born in 1906.
Mr. Zickefoose has spent his entire life in Henry county and the fact that many who have known him form his boyhood days to the present are numbered among his staunchest friends is an indication that his has been an honorable and upright career worthy the respect which is so uniformly tendered him. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Congregational church, while politically he is a republican and has served as assessor since 1904.
(Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa. Chicago: Hobart Publishing Co.,1906, p.449)(PE)