Henry County, Iowa
Sources of Biographies include:
Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Iowa .
Chicago: Acme Publishing Company, 1888.
Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa
.Chicago: Hobart Publishing Company, 1906.
Oskaloosa Weekly Herald 1889
Iowa Official Register 1927-1928
Biographies of State Senators
Thanks to Joan Achille, Betsey Brown, Frances Sloan, Pat White, Jim Church, Dick Barton, Sharyl Ferrall, Polly Eckles and Richard Kinkead for transcribing them. If I have omitted anyone please let me know.
Other submissions welcome.
Please send to Cathy Labath
|Joseph A. Tague
A. TAGUE, a prominent farmer residing on section 7, Scott Township, Henry Co.,
Iowa, was born in Baltimore Township, Sept. 12, 1842. His parents were Joseph
and Lucinda (Kees) Tague, the former a native of Kentucky, of German and Scotch
ancestry, and the latter born in Pennsylvania, though of Welsh and Dutch
parentage. Joseph Tague, Sr., emigrated to this county in 1837, settling in
Baltimore Township, where he and his wife died, the mother when our subject was
but a child. His father died in August, 1884, at the advanced age of seventy
years. He was a life-long farmer, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and had served his country during the War of 1812, and was a Democrat in
politics. He had been thrice
married, his first wife being Malinda Glassby. Four children were born of this
marriage, all of whom are living: George, a farmer residing in Des Moines
County, Iowa; John, proprietor of a hotel in Fremont County; William, a resident
of Mills County, Iowa, was a soldier in the 16th Iowa Volunteer Infantry; and
Nancy Jane, wife of William Weater, of Missouri. Joseph is the only living child
of the second marriage.
Mr. Tague, after the death of his second wife, was united in marriage with Eliza Gott, and by their union four children were born: Martha and Otis, who died in childhood; Lorenzo Dow and Francis M., residents of Baltimore Township. At the time of his death Mr. Tague owned a farm of 230 acres of land, on which his widow still resides.
Our subject was born and reared upon a farm, and his whole life has been spent as a tiller of the soil. He was one of the brave boys in blue, being a member of Company A, 4th Iowa Cavalry. He enlisted Dec. 3, 1863, and was discharged at the close of the war, March 20, 1865. He participated in the battles of Ripley and Memphis, Tenn., and in numerous other skirmishes. After his discharge he returned to this county, remaining two years engaged as farm hand, and then went to Mills County. There he rented a farm for one year and then purchased forty acres of land, upon which he resided for three years. Selling his farm in Mills County he bought eighty acres in Fremont County, but later removed to Baltimore Township, where he rented a farm for two years. He then bought eighty acres of land on section 7, of Scott Township, his present home. This farm was partially improved, yet he has made many more improvements. He has a nice home which was erected at a cost of $1,200, and good out-buildings for the use of his stock and grain. Everything about the place denotes thrift and enterprise, showing that Mr. Tague well understands the business of farming.
On the 11th of December, 1866, Joseph Tague brought to his home his young bride, Deborah Kerr. She is one of Henry County’s daughters, and was born in Baltimore Township. Her parents were Bernard and Sarah (Dillingham) Kerr, her father a native of England and her mother born in New York. They were among the early settlers of Henry County. Mr. Kerr was drowned in Skunk River, June 1, 1851, when forty-five years and eleven months old. His wife survived him several years, dying at the age of sixty-three years, in 1862. Mrs. Tague was a member of the Society of Friends. There are four of her father’s family yet living: Mary, widow of Joseph Bancer; William R., a resident farmer of Grant County, Wis.; Edward, residing in Baltimore Township, engaged in farming, and the honored wife of our subject.
Mr. and Mrs. Tague have no children of their own, but have an adopted son, Festus, upon whom they bestow all the love and care that would have been given to their own children. Mr. and Mrs. Tague are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Winfield. He is liberal in his views, voting for the man whom he thinks would best fill the office. Having lived in this county all their lives, Mr. and Mrs. Tague are universally known, and of such citizens Henry County is justly proud.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 346-347) (JC)
W. H. Taylor
W. H. TAYLOR, SR., residing on section 16, Center Township, Henry Co., Iowa, was born in Providence, R. I., Sept. 10, 1816, and is a son of Horace and Hannah (Ballou) Taylor. A shoemaker by trade, his father had a contract for making army shoes during the War of 1812. In 1818 he removed to Lewis County, N. Y., where he secured Government land, residing there for some years, engaged in farming during the summer and shoemaking during the winter. Horace and Hannah Taylor were the parents of nine children, five sons and four daughters, six of whom are now living. Later, in 1828, the family removed to Middlebury, Vt., where the children found employment in the cotton factory.
William Taylor, in 1829, was apprenticed to a harness-maker, Walter R. Gilkey, in Middlebury, Vt., receiving no compensation during the five years of his apprenticeship except his board and clothes, and at the age of twenty he emigrated with his brother Horace and others in an emigrant canal-boat on Lake Champlain to Whitehall, and was three weeks making the journey to Buffalo, N. Y. Remaining in that city hut a short time, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, working there for six months, and then proceeded to Athens, Ohio, where he had a half-sister living, and remained there for a year. Subsequently going to Marietta, that State, he there became acquainted with Susan H. Talbot, daughter of William and Jemima J. Talbot, and their marriage was celebrated Oct. 28, 1838, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Mr. Petty. Carrying on harness-making until 1856 in Marietta, he, with his family, removed to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and again embarked in the same business. Eight children grace their union: Sarah E., wife of Dr. T. L. Andrews, resides in Wichita, Kan.; B. Franklin enlisted in Company B, 25th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, under Capt. Smith, participating in the battle of Arkansas Post, and during the siege of Vicksburg contracted a disease from which he never recovered, dying in the general hospital at St. Louis, Mo., and was buried in Forest Home Cemetery, Mt. Pleasant; W. H., Jr., a resident of Wichita, Kan., enlisted in the 100-days regiment, and served on guard duty near Memphis, Tenn.; Mary S. is in business in Bloomfield, Davis Co., Iowa; Anna T., wife of Clinton M. Shultz, commercial editor of the Pioneer Press, at St Paul, Minn., where they reside; Laura J., wife of Will Van Benthuysen, who is night editor of the Chicago Tribune, having the general makeup of the paper, and the son of Judge Van Benthuysen, of Bloomfield, Iowa; Nellie L., wife of Nelson Culver, a carpenter of Chicago; Rollie, the youngest child, is at home.
Among those who so gallantly defended their country during the late Civil War, besides his two sons, Mr. Taylor had two brothers and five nephews. One brother, Horace, was taken prisoner during the Kilpatrick raid on Richmond, suffering all the cruelties and miseries of the rebel treatment of prisoners of war, and at last starved to death on Belle Isle. In early life Mr. Taylor was a Whig, casting his first vote for “the log cabin candidate,” William Henry Harrison, and since the organization of the Republican party he has been one of its stanch supporters. Nearly half a century has elapsed since Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were married, and we gladly welcome this worthy couple to a place in the history of Henry County.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa;
Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 341-342) (JC)
STEPHEN THATCHER, farmer, on section 12, in Salem Township. For a quarter of a century our subject has been engaged in, and identified with, the business interests of Henry County. He was born in Rochester, Warren Co., Ohio, and is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Linton) Thatcher. The Thatcher family are of English origin, and on the Linton side they emigrated with William Penn to America. Elizabeth Linton was born in Bucks County, Pa., and her husband in Berkeley County, Va. The parents on both sides became residents of Ohio, the Thatchers settling in Greene County in 1806. Joseph Thatcher and Elizabeth Linton were married in Clinton County, Ohio, and removed to Rochester, Warren County, where they owned a farm and also kept a tavern for a few years. All their children were born in Ohio, as follows: Jesse and Ruth, who died unmarried; Hannah was next, and is married to Augustus Cox, of Page County; William married Sydney A. Thompson; David wedded Charity Cook; Hannah was next, and is married to Augustus Cox, of Page County; then Thomas, who was married to Melinda Scott, were all born in Clinton County. In Warren County were born Stephen, our subject; John, who wedded Anna Buffington, and Ann, deceased. The entire family removed to this State in 1846, and settled near Salem. One year later Joseph Thatcher purchased a farm near West Point, and five years later returned to Marion County, Ind., near Indianapolis, remaining there, however, only two years, when he again came to Henry County and purchased a farm near Salem, upon which he staid a few years, and then purchased property in Salem, where both the parents lived and died. Both reached a ripe old age, Joseph being ninety-one and his wife seventy-nine years old at the time of their death.
Stephen Thatcher has always been a
farmer. He was married, Oct. 20, 1853, to Miss Ann Hadley, of Morgan County,
Ind., where she died May 27, 1 863. She was the mother of three children: Jared
is the husband of Emma Lamb, and is a farmer of Thayer County, Neb.; Marietta
became the wife of George Pruitt, a resident physician of Blanchard, Page Co.,
Iowa, and Albert is deceased. The second wife of our subject was Miss Achsah
Pidgeon, a daughter of Isaac and Phoebe Pidgeon, who have an extensive history
elsewhere. The wedding was celebrated March 21, 1861, and their two first years
of married life were spent in Indiana. In 1863 Mr. Thatcher came to this county,
purchased his present farm, and has been a citizen of Henry County ever since.
To their union were born six children: Charles, a graduate of the Burlington
Commercial College, is a resident of Yama, Col.; Isaac E. is now a resident of
Imperial, Chase Co., Neb.; Ruth I., Alice and Anna B. are yet at home, and Daisy
is deceased. Almost a quarter of a century of happy married life came to our
subject and his wife, when, beloved by all, in a home made joyous by the bright
smiles and happy voices of her children, the spirit of the faithful wife and
loving mother passed from this earth to life eternal, Nov. 8, 1885. An elegant
home was thus left without a matron, and a husband who adored her in life and
now reveres her memory, still remains true to his trust, and the children,
guided by the correct teaching and loving counsel of their mother, have
lightened his sorrow as best they could. The neighborhood in which Mr. Thatcher
resides is composed of the best families in Salem Township, and all unite in
their praises of him as a father, a gentleman, and a public-spirited citizen.
Born in the Quaker Church, to which his parents belonged, he still holds his
allegiance with it, and yet retains his membership in the first society of
Friends organized in Henry County, Salem Township.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 256-259)(JC)
BERNHARD TRAUT, a resident of Marion Township, living on section 21, was born in Eppingen, State of Baden, Germany, Feb. 29, 1832, and is the son of George and Catharine (Lindner) Traut, who were also natives of Germany. George and Catharine Traut were the parents of six children, but only three grew to man and womanhood: Louisa, deceased; Nancy died in Germany at the age of thirty; Mina married Henry Klingemeier, a farmer now living in Wapello County, Iowa; Elizabeth, Catharine and one other child died in infancy. Bernhard was the fourth child, and when four years of age his parents removed to Bretten, where he attended school. At the age of fifteen he left school to learn the trade of dyeing and printing goods of various kinds, at which trade he worked about three years, or until he was eighteen years old, at which time he made up his mind to leave his native country. Accordingly, April 1, 1850, he embarked on board a ship and sailed for America. After a voyage of forty-five days he landed in New York City May 13, where he remained for about two months, working in a brewery at $2 a month for the first, and $3 for the second month. About this time a friend of young Traut came from Philadelphia to New York, and Traut concluded to go with him on his return to the City of Brotherly Love, which he did. After looking around for some time, he concluded to learn the carpenter’s trade, and accordingly went to work with the firm of George Link & Fisher, at $30 per year, board and washing included. He worked with them two years and eight months, or until he was twenty-one years old. At the expiration of his time with Link & Fisher, he began taking instructions in stair-building, receiving $1.25 per day for the first year, boarding himself. The second year he worked as journeyman, and received $1.75 in summer and $1.50 in winter. In May, 1855, he went to Chicago and remained there until sometime in June, when he went to Burlington, Iowa, and from there by wagon to Mt. Pleasant, where he went to work at his trade for Robert Reed, for whom he worked one month, when they formed a partnership, under the firm name of Reed & Traut. In January, 1856, he went to St. Louis and from there to New Orleans, where he remained three weeks. Taking passage on a steamer, he returned to New York, remaining there until the time of his marriage, which occurred July 15, 1856, to Miss Caroline Schneider, who was born at Ober, Oterbaeh, in the State of Bavaria, Germany, April 7, 1832. She was the daughter of Frederick and Frederica (Fath) Schneider, who were both natives of Germany. In August, young Traut returned to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, with his young bride, and built his first home in America. He worked at his trade, part of the time at St. Louis and Jefferson City, Mo., until 1858, when he went to work on the hospital for the insane at Mt. Pleasant, and continued at this work from June until December. Work being scarce in Mt. Pleasant, he again went to St. Louis, and engaged in stair-building at $2.25 per day, remaining three months. When his work was finished, his employers made him a present of $10 as a token of their appreciation of his ability as a workman. While he was in St. Louis, Mr. Traut received word that his father had come to New York, and he returned to Mt. Pleasant with the intention of going for him, but in the meantime the old gentleman arrived at that place, where he made his home with his son and daughter. He died at the age of eighty-one years and three months. His wife died when Bernhard was twelve years old. Mr. Traut began work on the asylum in 1859, working there until the spring of 1861, when he bought forty acres of land, but two acres of which were cleared, and on which was a log cabin. He commenced working on his land, grubbing and clearing, and adding buildings and more land from time to time, until he now has 235 acres. He and his two sons own 515 acres, of which the first forty acres were the foundation. Mr. Traut has erected good buildings on his farm, and it is under a fine state of cultivation, being the result of economy and industry on his part, for at the age of twenty-one he had but $4 in cash with which to begin the battle of life. Today none stand higher in the respect of the citizens of Henry County than do Mr. Traut and his estimable wife.
Four children have graced their union:
Louisa, the eldest, died in infancy; George, born Dee. 20, 1858, was united in
marriage with Miss Maggie Smith, now deceased; by this union he had one child,
Frederick, born Sept. 27, 1886, and resides on section 20, Marion Township.
Henry, born in July, 1862, married Mary Lafferty, a daughter of John Lafferty,
and now resides on a farm in Marion Township; Lillie, born Oct. 10, 1866, is
still living at home. Mr. and Mrs. Traut have given each of their children a
good education, and all are held in high esteem. In politics, Mr. Traut holds
liberal views, voting for the man and not the party.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 260-261)(JC)
HENRY TRAUT, one of the young, enterprising farmers of Henry County, residing on section 21, Marion Township, was born in this county, July 3, 1862, and is the son of Bernhard and Caroline (Schneider) Traut, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. His parents were natives of Germany, emigrating to Iowa in 1856, where Henry was born. He was reared upon the home farm, and attended the district school, but his parents feeling that this was not enough, sent their son one term to Howe’s Academy at Mt. Pleasant and two terms to the Wesleyan University, where he made such good progress that he received a teacher’s certificate. He is a man who believes that a farmer, to be successful, must be intelligent and keep posted in the current events of the day. After his return from school, he made his home with his parents until Feb. 17, 1886, when he concluded to take to himself one of Iowa’s fair daughters. He was married to Miss Mary I. Lafferty, who was born Aug. 24, 1861, in Henry County, Iowa, and is the daughter of John and Martha (Campbell) Lafferty, natives of Indiana.
Mr. Traut owns a fine farm of 160
acres, and in 1886 erected a beautiful and commodious two-story house thereon,
which has added much to the beauty and value of his farm, which stands second to
none in the county. He is turning his whole attention to farming and
stock-raising, and has been very successful in both. Mr. Traut is a young man
full of energy and enterprise, never hesitating to lend a helping hand to any
enterprise that is for the general good of the community. He and his young wife
stand high in the esteem of their friends and neighbors, and Henry County has
few nobler sons and daughters than Mr. and Mrs. Traut. His political interests
are with the Democratic party.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 287-288) (JC)
|George C Traxler
GEORGE C. TRAXLER, residing on section 20, Marion Township, is by birth a Pennsylvanian, having been born in Cumberland County of that State, Oct. 31, 1842. His parents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Cramer) Traxler, were also natives of Pennsylvania, though of German descent. The father and mother of Jacob Traxler came to America at a very early day and settled in Pennsylvania, where Jacob was born. Jacob and Elizabeth Traxler were the parents of nine children: Catherine A., wife of Levi Flickinger, now resides in Story County, Iowa; John, a farmer and brick-maker of Seward County, Kan., wedded Rebecca Yount; Jacob, whose first wife was Eliza J. Humes, who died Aug. 5, 1867, leaving three children, was again married, to Mrs. Elizabeth Gould, and is a resident of Trenton Township, Henry County; Mary, deceased wife of John Black, of Trenton Township; Elizabeth, the deceased wife of Elias Black; Frances R., the deceased wife of J. W. Moore, of Marion Township; George, the subject of this sketch, is next in order of birth; Joseph, a farmer of Appanoose County, Iowa, and Grazel, who died at the age of nine. John Traxler emigrated to Iowa in 1853, and his father Jacob, with the rest of the family, came in 1854. The father bought eighty-four acres of land in Marion Township, on which he lived until his death, which occurred April 24, 1871. He was born Oct. 28, 1807, and had been blind for a number of years before his death, having lost his sight while blasting. His wife died Oct. 9, 1872. They were both members of the Lutheran Church, and were regular and faithful attendants of the same.
George Traxler obtained his education in the common schools of the township, but at an early age he left to learn the trade of brick-making, which business he followed until 1885. On the 15th of October, 1865, he was united in marriage with Miss Emma L. Harper, of Franklin County, Ohio. Mrs. Traxler is a daughter of Elisha and Ann (Davis) Harper, and was born ,Jan. 29, 1845. Mr. and Mrs. Harper were natives of Pennsylvania, but of German and Irish descent. To them were born six children: David, a farmer of Marion Township Eliza A., wife of Samuel Jay, of Dallas, Col.; William J., a farmer of Page County, Iowa; Mrs. Traxler; Margaret, wife of David Kenworthy, of Mt. Pleasant, and Eli, a farmer of Trenton Township. Mr. Harper died Nov. 18, 1855, and his wife was again united in marriage, with Reuben Mannings, now deceased. Mrs. Mannings is now residing in Trenton Township.
Mr. and Mrs. Traxler are the happy
parents of two children: Levi A., born Dec. 26, 1866, and Annetta, born Oct. 11,
1868. In March, 1886, Levi started a store of general merchandise on the
Washington road. Mr. Traxler and his good wife are highly respected by all who
know them. He was reared a Democrat, but cast his first vote with the
Independent party. He owns a nice farm of fifty-six acres, on which he has good
and substantial farm buildings.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p 252)(JC)
JACOB TRAXLER, residing on section 25, Trenton Township, Henry Co., Iowa, is a native of Cumberland County, Pa., born Sept. 9, 1831, and is of German ancestry. Our subject learned the trade of brick-making, which he has followed most of his life. He came to this county in 1854 with his father, settling in Marion Township, where he purchased 266 acres of land, which he afterward sold, buying a farm of 120 acres on section 9 of the same township. He resided upon that farm from 1859 until 1884, and during that time made many improvements, but sold in that year, and rented a farm in Trenton Township, where he has since made his home.
In the fall of 1855 Jacob Traxler was united in marriage with Eliza J. Hume. She was born Dec. 18, 1838, in Ohio, and is the daughter of James Hume, a native of Virginia. By that marriage five children were born, namely: James B., who was born Sept. 21, 1856, was for four years School Superintendent of Henry County, and is now teaching in Grenada, Col.; an infant, born May 6, 1859, was the second child; Elizabeth J., born Aug. 5, 1860, who was a teacher in the public schools, became the wife of J. Wallace Miller, a farmer of Marion Township; Grezelle A., born April 6, 1869, died in May, 1883; George C., born May 5, 1866, died in infancy. Eliza J. Traxler died Aug. 5, 1866. She was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Traxler was again married, Jan. 16, 1867, to Ruth E. Carpenter, who was the
widow of John F. Gould, of Jones County, Iowa, who died Feb. 28, 1865, and by
that marriage Mrs. Traxler had one child, Hiram E. Gould, now living in
Nebraska. By Mr. Traxler’s second marriage ten children were born: Viola C.,
born Oct. 25, 1867; John E., Nov. 15, 1869; Clarence C., Jan. 13, 1872; William
L., April 29, 1874; Rosa Belle, Dec. 3,1875; Mary A., April 5, 1877; Minnie B.,
born Feb. 25, 1879, died March 20, 1882; Alvin J., born Nov. 24, 1880, died Feb.
26, 1882; Louis E., born July 31, 1883; and Catherine, March 5, 1885.
Politically, Mr. Traxler is a Democrat, though he is liberal in his views. Mr.
and Mrs. Traxler are among the highly respected people of Trenton Township, and
we welcome them to a place in the history of Henry County.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 329-330) (JC)
|Charles H. Tribby
CHARLES H. TRIBBY, farmer. There are many of the young men of today, who were born in other States, that are representatives of the business interests of Henry County. Among these we are pleased to mention Charles H. Tribby, who is favorably known to many of the people of this county as an energetic farmer whose home for a score of years has been in Salem Township. He was born in Harrisville, Harrison Co., Ohio, in 1855, and is a son of John W. and Jane H. Tribby. The paternal grandfather of our subject, and his family, were natives of Virginia, and of their early history but little is known. John Tribby, grandfather of our subject, was left an orphan when ten years of age, and before he reached full manhood went to Harrison County, Ohio, where he was married to Ann White, then in her sixteenth year. Her death occurred in this State in 1873, and her marriage must have been one of the earliest celebrated in that county, and was consummated, perhaps, in 1813. Her husband was a tanner by trade, and before his marriage worked at that business in Virginia. He also owned and operated a tannery in Ohio after his marriage, and engaged in clearing up and farming the lands previously entered. They were the parents of several children, of whom we mention: Sarah J., who is the wife of Milton Mendenhall, and lives in Colorado; Isaac B., married to Mary Yost, lives in Londonderry, Ohio; Lewis D. is married to Melissa Thompson, and lives in Marshall County, Iowa; John W., father of Charles H.; and Samuel. Several died young. The children were born, reared and married in Ohio, and with their parents emigrated to this county in 1864, purchasing land four miles north of Salem. Upon that farm the parents lived, and died within a year of each other, at a ripe old age. They were of the Friends’ faith, and were zealous advocates of their doctrines. John W. and his wife, Jane Howard, are the parents of six children, living: Martha, wife of Wyke Elliott; Julia, wife of Samuel Spray; Hannah, wedded to Levi Parkins; Ella, the wife of Marion Weimer; Melissa wedded Alpheus Taylor; and Charles H. Possessed of an adventurous spirit, the parents have taken a Western trip, and have located a tract of unimproved land in Greeley County, Kan., although their connection with this county has not been severed.
Our subject attended school in this county, completing his education at Whittier College in the summer of 1879. For several years both before and after that time, he engaged in teaching in this and Lee County, in which profession he was favorably known. Having been reared upon a farm he learned to love its independent life, and worked at farming at intervals. The year prior to his marriage he was in the employ of the “Gate City Publishing Company,” engaged in reportorial and various kinds of work in the States of Illinois, Iowa and Missouri. Desirous of becoming settled in life, and of engaging in the breeding of stock, he relinquished journalism, and on the 30th of November, 1882, Miss Mary Carver, of Lee County, this State, became his wife. Her mother, Mary (Cook) Carver, died at her birth, and Mary was reared and educated by her uncle and aunt, Samuel and Susan Hill, formerly of Lee, but now respected citizens of Salem Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Hill were early pioneers of Lee County, and began life in the most primitive way, but the ends for which they toiled have been accomplished, and they are now numbered among the aged and wealthy couples of this county. In 1844 they settled in Lee County, but subsequently became residents of Henry County solely for the purpose of educating their niece, who was in attendance at Whittier College. She was reared with all the care and tenderness a mother and father could have bestowed upon her, and to the aged couple her love goes out with all the warmth of affection of an appreciative daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Hill had no children of their own, consequently their attention was given not only to Mrs. Tribby, but they also partly reared several other children, all of whom are now gone from the homestead.
his marriage, in the winter of 1882-83, Mr. Tribby was assistant teacher at
Whittier College, and this closed his school work. Mr. and Mrs. Tribby are the
parents of two children, Nellie and Ray, both bright, interesting children. In
1887 Mr. Tribby leased a half section of land near Salem, and has stocked it
with breeds of the best cattle and hogs, and intends to engage largely in the
rearing of stock. Having been the son of a good father, who was industrious but
poor, Charles was obliged to work his own way in the world, and he is a
thoroughly self-made man. Mr. Tribby is a charter member of Monarch Lodge No.
143, K. of P., of which he was first Past Chancellor, and also its first
representative at the Grand Lodge. In local politics he is a prominent factor.
He is the soul of courtesy, and an honored citizen, respected and esteemed by
all who know him.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 271-272) (JC)
|George W. Trimble
Superintendent of the Mt. Pleasant Water Company, and a resident of Mt. Pleasant since 1855, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., April 7, 1821, and is a son of John and Mary (Carnahan) Trimble. His father was a native of Ireland, and came to America with his parents in infancy. His mother was born in Pennsylvania, of Scotch parents. The early life of George was spent on a farm, and in his youth he learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked for some years. On the 3d of December, 1853, in Westmoreland County, Pa., he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Frey, a daughter of Hon. Jacob Frey. Her parents were Germans, and her father was a prominent man of that region. Five children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. Trimble, one in the East, and the remainder in Mt. Pleasant: John W. is a druggist's clerk in Chicago; Mary died at the age of thirteen years; Charles is in British Columbia; Emma J. is the wife of Phillips Fluke, a dairyman of Mt. Pleasant; Estella M. lives with her father at Mt. Pleasant. Mrs. Trimble died at Mt. Pleasant, in August, 1883.
In 1855 Mr. Trimble decided on coming West, and in June of that year landed at Burlington, Iowa, where he remained a short time, and in August following came to Mt. Pleasant, where he has since continued to reside, engaged principally in working at his trade of contracting and building. On the 1st day of January, 1886, he became connected with the water company, George B. Inman & Bro., of New York, and has since been Superintendent. For many years he was politically a Republican, but since the Greeley campaign of 1872 he has affiliate with the Democratic party. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his membership being with Mystic Lodge No. 55, at Mr. Pleasant. Mr. Trimble has not been an office-seeker, but for some years was a member of the City Council. In the third of a century that he has been a resident of Mt. Pleasant, he has made many warm friends, and enjoys the respect and confidence of the entire community. Many of the best buildings in the city were constructed under his supervision.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 238-239)(PW)
|Samuel M Turner
The Postmaster and merchant of Coppock, he is a prominent citizen of Henry Co. Among the earliest famlies settling in Salem Twp. was his father Thomas N. Turner, who was born, reared and married in KY. The Turners were of Scots origin, but the early history of the family cannot be detailed.
Thomas N. Turner was three times married, his first wife being Miss Margaret M. McKinney. After their marriage, in the autumn of 1845, the next Spring found them enroute to IA. They were parents of 10 children, all sons, and all born in this county: William E., married Cordelia Lane, and resides in Polk Co., IA; John F. wedded Lydia Allred,resides in Harrison Co., MO; Samuel, our subject; Henry wedded Aletha Jay, who died Nov. 15, 1847; Perry M. married Elizabeth Graham, and lives in Polk Co., IA; Benjamin H. and Martin M. are unmarried live with= their father on the farm. Oscar Zephaniah David died in childhood.
The death of Mrs. Turner occurred Nov. 20, 1873, and on Nov. 12, 1875, Mr. Turner was married to Mrs. Nancy (Wright) Vorris, who died the following August, and on May 6, 1877, he married Mary M. (Long) Redinger, who by her first union had six children: Samuel H., William T., John E., Sarah C., Mary A., and George D., all living.
The four youngest are married: George is the husband of Hettie McDonough, resides in Corvallis, OR; Sarah C. wedded Julius Lippmon, now deceased, and she makes her home with Mr. Turner and is the mother of Jules R., a bright boy four years of age; Mary A. married William A. Smith, of Trenton.
The parents of Mrs. Turner, John and Mary M. Long, came to IA from Franklin Co., PA in 1842, settling in Jefferson Co., and bringing with them six children: John, William, Sarah, David, Henry and Mary M. Only two are living, the eldest and youngest. John wedded Barbara Courtney, resides in Chariton, IA. The parents both died in Jefferson Co., the father age 61 and the mother age 63.
Our subject, Samuel M., was born May 7, 1854 on the farm in Franklin Twp. He was married in 1872 to Miss Elizabeth C. Mason, whose father W. Mason, was an early settler and whose history will be found elsewhere.
A few months after his marriage he rented a farm in Henry Co., and 3 years later removed to Montgomery Co. for three years, and then to Jefferson Co. for one year, then farmed one year in Henry Co. An accident to his right hand disabled him for farm work and he engaged in huckstering a year, and when the railroad was graded he came to the village of Coppock, and erected his home which was the first one built on the town site.
Four children have been born to them: Martha L., and Harry O., who died within a few days of each other, in 1878, one on Oct. 18 and one on Oct. 26; Clayton O., and Elsie M. who was the 1st child born in Coppock, was born on Dec. 31, 1882. Mr. Turner was the 1st family to settle in the village, and he was the first merchant and Postmaster. His commission bears the signatures of Timothy O. Howe, Postmaster General, and Frank Hatton, First Asst.,dated July 5, 1882.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888)(PW)
GEORGE W. TYNER, farmer, and President of the Salem Bank. Indiana has contributed many enterprising men to the Western States, and Iowa has shared largely in securing them. The fertility of her soil, the facilities for raising stock and for the production of cereals, are a boon of which she is justly proud.
Our subject was born in Hancock County, Ind., in 1832, and is a son of Elijah and Sarah A. (Halberstout) Tyner. Elijah Tyner was born on Little River, Abbeyville District, S. C., March 21, 1799, and was the second son of Rev. William Tyner, a Baptist minister who removed with his family to Kentucky in 1802, and three years later to the Territory of Indiana, locating near where Brookville has since been built. In 1854 he removed to Decatur County, Ind., where his death occurred, Elijah Tyner was thrice married. The first wife was Martha McCune, who had one son, William H. The second wife was Mary Nelson, whose children were Martha A., Mary J., Robert N. and Charlotte. Sarah A. Halberstout was the third wife, and had seven children—George W., our subject, John H., Oliver H., James M., Elbert, Alonzo and Missouri.
Before the first marriage of Elijah Tyner, he took a claim in Hancock County, Ind., where there was no road but Indian trials to guide the chance trapper or occasional squatter to and from his humble cabin, and here Elijah opened a small stock of general merchandise in a log cabin. As long as he lived he was engaged in the mercantile trade, and upon his original claim, which he finely improved, he lived and died. He was a very exemplary and successful business man, and by reference to clippings from Indiana journals we learn that he was one of the wealthy and highly respected citizens of that county. At the time of his death he owned over 1,000 acres of land in one body. His wife still resides on the Indiana homestead, and has reached the ripe age of eighty years.
In 1854 George W. Tyner left Indiana and located in McDonough County, Ill., where he began the business of stock-breeding and farming. In 1855 he took a survey of Southeastern Iowa, and purchased his present farm on section 33, Jackson Township, in the autumn of that year. While a resident of Illinois, Mr. Tyner first met the lady who is now his wife, and the occasion was the removal of her parents from Indiana with the intention of locating in this county. They stopped during the winter in the village of Olena, in Illinois, opposite Burlington. It was agreed that they should be wedded, and after a few months, by mutual agreement our subject followed the young lady to this county, and in the autumn of 1855 Miss Mary F. Bartlett became his wife, the ceremony being performed at the home of her parents, John W. and Catherine (Carmichael) Bartlett, in Jackson Township. The Bartlett family are yet extensively represented in the county, one son, William A., being in the clothing business in Salem, and Jesse D. residing on a farm near Mt. Pleasant.
The parents of Mrs. Tyner lived for many years after they came to this county, the mother dying Aug. 4, 1879, the father, May 22, 1885. During his early life John W. Bartlett resided in Virginia, and when a young man removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, and learned the coach and carriage making trade, which he afterward carried on in that city. He was married at Lawrenceburg, Ind., and when the family removed to Iowa they came from Rush County, Ind. Mrs. Tyner was born in Harrison, Dearborn County, in that State, Nov. 3, 1832. She is the eldest living of the ten children. Her birth was followed by those of William, Jesse D., Kate and Maggie, who are all living and married. Five others died in infancy.
The domestic life of Mr. and Mrs. Tyner was begun under the most favorable circumstances upon their present farm. Their union has been one of the happiest, their successes the most continuous, and their social qualities so well known as to win for them the respect and good-will of their neighbors. They are the parents of eight children, of whom six are living—Elijah, Sarah C., Melvin, Oliver, James and Elbert; and William and John, deceased. Two of the children are married. Elijah is the husband of Emma Geese, and resides in Tippecanoe Township, this county, and Sarah C. is the wife of Dr. A. J. Rodgers, a physician of Hastings, Neb. The four eldest children were educated at Whittier College prior to its destruction by fire. Melvin has been engaged in teaching in this county, and is another of the many teachers educated in the old college which has fitted many of the youth of this county for a successful business life.
Aside from his farm duties, Mr. Tyner finds time to attend to other business of importance. He was for two years Township Clerk, and for four years has been a member of the School Board. The Salem District Fair owes much of its success to the efforts made by him, Mr. O. H. Cook and Mr. Z. H. Arnold, to whose enterprise the successful exhibitions of 1886 and 1887 are largely due. From its beginning he has been one of the principal promoters and supporters of the enterprise, he has been Treasurer of the association since its organization, and no debt remains unpaid. The society is now fully organized and future meetings will probably be even better than the past. As a successful farmer, his well-tilled fields give evidence. To be assured of their courtesy, it is only necessary to visit the Tyner home, and to judge of their social and business life, the praise of neighbors is sufficient.
For several years Mr. Tyner has been
connected with the Bank of Salem, as a stockholder, and since 1882 has been its
President. For a term of fourteen years he has been in partnership with J. L.
Bennett in the purchase and shipment of stock. Mr. Tyner is widely known in a
business and social way, and is one of the most successful farmers and business
men in the county. He and his family are distinguished for their social
qualities, and he is justly regarded as one of the leading and estimable
citizens of the county.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 272-273) (JC)
Rev. Joseph Bowers Vernon
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp. 420-421)(PW)