CHRONOLOGY OF SCOTT COUNTY
"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."
In this connection is given a synopsis of many historical events that have transpired in the county, with an occasional introduction of some event of national importance.
1832. - Treaty with the Indians by Gen. Scott, by which the title to the land in Scott County became vested in the United States. George L. Davenport made the first claim of land in Scott County.
1834. - First settlement in the county made by Capt. Benjamin W. Clark, near the present village of Buffalo. Antoine Le Claire received a commission as justice of the peace from the Governor of the Territory.
1834. - Antoine Le Claire established a ferry between Stephenson, now Rock Island, and Davenport.
1836. - Davenport laid out. First hotel, built by Antoine Le Claire and Col. George Davenport. First public sale of lots in May. Gov. Dodge, of Wisconsin, held another treaty with the Sac and Fox Indians by which the tract of land reserved by the Indians in previous treaty was ceded to the United States. First law offices opened in Davenport by Alexander McGregor and G. C. R. Mitchell. First marrriage in Davenport occurred this year, the contracting parties being William B. Watts and a niece of Antoine Le Claire. The first surveyor, William Gordon. The first plasterer, William B. Watts. The first white child born in Davenport, a son of Levi G. Colton; it died in 1840. Dr. E. S. Barrows settled in Rockingham, being the first physician in the county and second one in the Territory.
1837. - Rev. Elnathan C. Gavitt, Methodist Episcopal, Rev. Enoch Mead, Presbyterian, and Bishop Chase, Episcopal, preached a sermon in Davenport, in the order named, Mr. Gavitt's being the first ever preached in the village. D. C. Eldridge built a grist-mill run by horse-power. First blacksmith shop, by Louis Le Page. First shoemaker David Miller. First tailor, James O. Kelley.
1838. - The Presbyterians effected the first Church organization. G. L. Davenport & Co. opened the first lumber yard. Harvey Leonard made the first brick and erected the first brick house, on the northeast corner of Third and Main streets, it is still standing. The Catholics erected the first church edifice in Davenport. The Iowa Sun started by Andrew Logan.
1839. - City charter granted the town of Davenport. Davenport had its first physician in the person of Dr. A. C. Donaldson. First drug-store, by Charles Leslie. First wagon-maker, Seth F. Whiting. First school by Rev. Mr. Hummer. Catholic school, by Rev. J. A. M. Palamorgue. First paint shop by Riddle & Morton.
1840. - First agricultural society in Scott County organized, with A. W. McGregor, President, and John Forrest, Secretary. County-seat removed from Rockingham to Davenport. Le Claire House completed and opened by Mr. Hulse, of Cincinnati, and the White Hall Temperance House by D. C. Eldridge. The first pork packed by Shays & Gano, Davenport. First stove, tin and sheet-iron store in Davenport opened by R. T. Craig.
1841. - Court-house and jail built by the citizens of Davenport, and presented to the county. The first shoe store opened in Davenport by L. B. Collamer. Mr. Armitage and Captain Nichols started the first butcher stall. The first shipment of wheat made by John Owens to Cincinnati; price 50 to 56 cents per bushel. First watch repairer and goldsmith in Davenport, R. L. Linbaugh. Newspaper, now in existence, commenced by Sanders & Davis as a weekly, under the name of Davenport Gazette. Oct. 14, first regular service of the Episcopal Church in Davenport, the Rev. C. H. Goldsmith officiating. Nov. 4, Trinity Church parish of Davenport was organized. The first harness shop in Davenport was organized by Jacob Sailor, but soon after removed to Rock Island. Flour this year was sold at five dollars a barrel, and wheat 50 cents a bushel. Pork was worth but one and a half to two cents a pound.
1842. - Protestant Episcopal Church organized on the 4th of November in Davenport. Steam ferry-boat built by J. Wilson, but abandoned the same year. Bakery opened in Davenport by Daniel Moore, the oldest one in operation. Stephen Lindley started his harness shop in Davenport. The Iowa Sun discontinued. Good winter wheat sold at 37 and 40 cents per bushel. The best flour sold for $4.50 a barrel, and the same autumn sold in Chicago at $3 and in St. Louis at $2.50 per barrel. There was no money; everything was barter in trade; pork sold at $1 and $1.50 per 100.
1843. - New city charter granted Davenport. Horse ferry-boat started by John Wilson. Iowa House opened in Davenport by D. B. Shaw, afterward called the Ohio House. Scott County Bible Society organized. Ice in the river two feet thick. A Dubuque paper stated that for nearly four months the mercury stood at 20 degrees below zero, and for several weeks of that time it stood at 35 and 39 degrees below zero. Although the crops were abundant, yet on account of the intense cold and want of sufficient hay and shelter a great many cattle died. Seven churches in Davenport.
1844. - Iowa College Association formed in April. Stage office opened by Bennett & Lyter, and lines of stages to Dubuque and Burlingon established, Bennet & Lyter having obtained the contract to carry the mail on their routes. By census taken of the county in June it was found to contain 1,750 inhabitants. Financial condition of the county at the end of the year flattering. Expenditures, $1,757.80, and the receipts in treasury, $2,503,80. The wheat raised estimated at 100,000 bushels and no flouring mills in Davenport. A son of Benjamin W. Clark was drowned in the Mississippi near Buffalo. A child of Mr. Winfield, near Rockingham, was burned to death by its clothes taking fire. Ephraim Jenny died suddenly Jan. 16.
1845. - First fire in Davenport; burned the building in which Mr. Eldridge had opened his store in 1837, situated on the corner of Ripley and Front streets, at the time occupied as a residence by three or more German families. On the 4th of July Col. George Davenport was foully murdered in his house on the island by desperadoes. River within one foot of the rise of 1844, May, 1845. A Swiss man and his wife poisoned by drinking tea made out of jimson weed. Peaches raised in the county were sold at 37 - 1/2 cents per bushel. Arrest of Birch, Fox, Long, Baxter, Aaron Long and Young, murderers of George Davenport. Grand Jury at Rock Island found bill of indictment against Robert Birch, John Long, Aaron Long, Granville Young, William Fox, John Baxter; Birch, the brothers Long and Fox as principals, Baxter and Young as accessories before the act. Asahel Hubbard, one of the county commissioners, died in Nebraska County, in September. Charles, infant son of William Inslee, of Davenport, fell into a kettle of hot water and was scalded to death. John and Aaron Long and Granville Young hung at Rock Island, Wednesday, Oct. 24.
1846. - The first plow factory was started in Davenport by John Bechtel. Etna Flour Mill (the first steam mill in Davenport) finished, and business commenced by A. C. Fulton. Burrows and Prettyman started their mill about the same time. First Board of Trustees of Iowa College chosen.
1847. - First baking house in Davenport established by Cook & Sargent, who also opened the first land agency. April 23, first Odd Fellows' lodge in Davenport instituted. First clothing store in Davenport started by Powers & Jordan. The Democratic Banner first published by T. D. Eagal. Preparatory department of Iowa College opened, Rev. Erastus Ripley, teacher. Albion Mills started, J. M. Burrows, proprietor. The German immigration was large this year; 100 landed in Davenport on the 22d of June, nearly all of whom settled in the county; 3,652 white inhabitants in county, and two negroes.
1849. - First jewelry store in Davenport started by A. C. Billion. During July and August many died of cholera. There were now 4,873 inhabitants in the county. There were at this time in the city of Davenport, twenty-two carpenters, nine stone-masons, two stone cutters, five brick-makers, six brick-layers, five plasters, six printers, ten cabinet-makers, five chair-makers, seven wheelwrights, two coach-makers, twelve blacksmiths, fifteen coopers, five saddlers and harness-makers, one trunk maker, eight shoemakers, three tin and coppersmiths, seven tailors, four engineers, three millers, two sawyers, eight draymen, nine teamsters, three butchers, one dyer and scourer, one gunsmith, one watchmaker, one turner, one baker, one upholsterer, one barber, nine ministers, four physicians, two lawyers, two weekly papers. The public buildings were: two steam flouring mills, one steam sawmill, the Iowa College, the Medical College, five school houses, three hotels, two billiard rooms, two coffee houses, nineteen stores, one public hall, one exchange office, two pork houses, one livery stable, and one plow factory. A full grown bear was killed in the neighborhood of Blue Grass. The Gazette urgently advocated the building of the Rock Island & La Salle Railroad, and asked the citizens of Scott County to subscribe liberally to its stock. A Medical Institute established in Davenport. First jewelry store in county established in Davenport by A. C. Billion.
1850. - First exclusive book store in Davenport opened by W. H. Holmes, who bought out D. C. Eldridge's stock, he having kept a book and drug store. Der Demokrat, a German newspaper commenced in Davenport by Theo. Guelich. Pennsylvania House in Davenport, opened by M. C. Davis, on Second street, between Main and Harrison. The first district school in Davenport, James Thorington, teacher, Mr. Thorington having taught private or select schools for some five or six years previous. Charter of Davenport City amended. First collegiate class formed in Iowa College. Population of Davenport, 1,848. First picture framing and gilding establishment opened by Frederick H. Weiss, in Davenport. Sash, door and blind factory and saw-mill opened by Burnett; Gillett & Co., corner of Scott and Front streets, Davenport; capital, $125,000; employ 90 hands; manufacture annually, $160,000. One hundred new houses erected in Davenport during the year. Twenty-two thousand and forty-one acres of land entered in the county. Plenty of prairie land to be had for $1.25 per acre. On Monday, April 5, the county subscribed $25,000 in aid of the Rock Island & La Salle Railroad. Postoffice established at Allen's Grove, in August, with George Frederick as first postmaster.
1851. - The foundry, machine and finishing shops in Davenport started by Le Claire, Davenport & Co., employing 12 hands the first season. Coates & Davies' planing mill built in Davenport; capital, $75,000; employed 30 hands. The first daguerrean artist who opened permanently in Davenport was O. L. Burdick, although some had practiced the art previously. In April Judge Grant was chosen first president of the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad. Robert Christies's mill was erected at East Davenport. First wholesale grocery in Davenport, established by S. Hirschal. June 1, Stephenson & Carnahan opened a new drug store in Davenport. New city charter granted Davenport. In February, Charles Weston was elected mayor of Davenport, and H. Leonard, A. Wygant, Dr. Barrows, N. Squires, H. Price, aldermen. In the August election Wm. Burris was chosen judge, and Harvey Leonard, sheriff. Second Baptist Church of Davenport was organized. Oct. 7, S. Burnell's steam saw-mill was built. Three hundred immigrants landed at one time from the Wyoming settlers for Scott County. Cholera very bad. Over 300 houses built in Davenport. Gazette enlarged to a seven-column folio, May 22. German Lutheran church erected. Heavy rain storm occurred May 21, which destroyed a large amount of property. Forty-five buildings were in process of erection in Davenport in May 21, which destroyed a large amount of property. Forty-five buildings were in process of erection in Davenport in May. The river was higher than any year since 1844. Amity post-office, Hickory Grove Township, established in July, with Philip Baker, Postmaster. Davenport & Rogers' grist and saw mill burned Sept. 9.
1852. - First exclusive tobacco store and cigar manufactory opened in Davenport by James Burge, although H. Wagener was the first person who manufactured cigars in the place. Steam ferry boat started by John Wilson. J.M. Cannon's steam saw-mill was built. First tombstone and marble manufactory in Davenport started by W.W. Kennedy. Population, 3,500.
1853. - Le Claire foundry burnt Aug. 20. Fisrt music store opened in Davenport by J.A. Crandall. Mississippi & Missouri Railroad Company organized. Sept.1, ground first broken by Mr. Le Claire. East end of Le Claire's row (in Davenport) completed, the fourth story being Le Claire's ball. First express office started in Davenport, Renwick & Son, agents. Telegraph office opened in Davenport. Population of Davenport, 4,500. Aug. 1, tri-weekly Gazette started in Davenport. Dec. 21, remarkable; river not closed. Steamer "Jenny Lind" arrived from Le Claire, and left next day for Galena with a load of good. On Thursday, July 7, 1853, vote was taken for or against city of Davenport subscribing $85,000 in aid of the Mississippi & Missouri Railroad-242 for and 1 against. Previonsly a vote was taken for or against county subscribing $50,000 Chicago & Rock Island-298 for and 10 against. Wednesday, Oct. 26, first snow of the season. Antoine Le Claire was offered $130,000 for 100 acres of land near Davenport. Davenport weekly Bee being published.
1854. - Feb. 22, completion of the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad; the Atlantic and Mississippi united. On the 20th of July, a most terrible and destructive tornado passed over Davenport, the most severe ever known in this region. Trees were torn up, and houses unroofed and blown down. The Le Claire foundry was partially demolished, the walls of the building falling in on some of the workman, killing William Overton and injuring his son. Mr. Wickersham's store, a new three-story brick building, was completely demolished. In June of this year, the Rev. Henry W. Lee, D. D., was elected first bishop of Iowa. Central part of Le Claire's row finished, which completed the block from Brady to Main streets. Witherwax's block and Orr's building completed. Third floor of the latter fitted up and occupied as Odd Fellows and Sons of Temperance Hall. A portion of third loft of Witherwax's block named Literary Hall. The Davenport Commercial was started in the spring by N.H. Parker; W. Atwill purchased it in December and changed the name to Davenport Courier. An extensive wholesale iron and hardware store was opened in Davenport in the fall by T. Close & Co. Daily line of stages established to Iowa City, Tipton and Cedar Rapids. First stove and hollow-ware foundry in Davenport established by Davis, Boyd & Co. Renwick & Sons steam saw-mill was built during this year; captial, $50,000; they employed 30 hands. First buckskin mitten manufactory in Davenport was established by Keith & Lewis. Davenport Gas, Light and Coke Company organized. The first exclusive crokery store in Davenport was China Hall, opened by L.S. Webb & Co. First exclusive book and job printing office in Davenport established by Luse & Coles. Sept. 1, corner-stone of the bridge laid. Oct. 16, the first daily paper in Davenport, the Daily Gazette, issused by Sanders & Davis. Oct. 31, Le Claire House, Davenport, sold to Dr. J.J. Burtis. Nov. 25, Scott House opened by R. Benton. First (German) Evangelical Lutheran Church organized. Allen & Bosworth's steam saw-mill built in Davenport. Hildreth & Dallam's steam flour-mill at East Davenport finished and put in operation. Population of Davenport, 6,000. Scott County Agricultural Society held their first annual fair, Oct. 4; $400 paid in premiums. June 5, ex-President Fillmore visited Davenport. June 10 Col. William Davenport visited Davenport. June 24 a public sale of lots was made on the bluff one mile below Davenport, at which unimproved lots sold at from $150 to $290. William Herrick & Co., of Cincinnati, commenced preparations to light the city of Davenport with gas, September. Public school building dedicated in Davenport, Saturday, Sept. 30.
1855. - Jan. 2, frost out of the ground and farmers plowing. Banking house of Yerberg & Barrows opened at Davenport. Jan. 13, Commercial Writing Academy opened by C. Parker in Davenport. Steamboat "Minnesota Belle" arrived in port, the first arrival from the Upper Mississippi for many years. Jan. 26, new city charter for Davenport. March 31, young Men's Christian Association organized. May 15, new ferry-boat "Davenport" established, between Rock Island and Davenport. July 20, first locomotive ever seen in Iowa arrived in Davenport called the "Antoine Le Claire." Track laid two and a half miles west of city. Aug. 23, city of Davenport first lighted by gas. Banner of Davenport changed hands, Mr. T. D. Eagal disposing of his interest to Messrs. Dalymple & Richardson. Enos Tichenor elected Mayor of Davenport; William Burris, Judge; Harvey Leonard, Sheriff; and James McCosh, Recorder. Nov. 28, first steam-power printing press introduced in Iowa by Sanders & Davis, proprietors of the Gazette.
1856. - Jan. 1, Mississippi measured by Mr. Hogan at low water mark; found to be 2,580 feet wide, and at high water 2,700 feet wide. Jan 5, first number of the daily Democrat of Davenport issued. Jan. 20, mercury down to 20' below zero. Feb. 8, arrivals at the three hotels, Le Claire House, and the old and new Pennsylvania House, during the past year amounted to 50,000, as per the registers in the hotels named. Feb. 28, last span of the Mississippi bridge completed. March 6, bold robbery of boots and shoes from the store of Moore & Brown, of Davenport. June 6, enlargement of the Daily Gazette. July 16, the most destructive and extensive fire by which Davenport had ever been visited, broke out on Monday night in a frame building on Front street, near the corner of Rock Island, occupied as a warehouse by Hull, Allen & Co.; D. Moore's bakery, a two story brick building and a frame dwelling house occupied by Mr. Shields were also consumed; total loss, $15,000. Sept. 9, bridge over the Mississippi completed. Cars commenced crossing on schedule time. Oct. 3, an ordinance passed by the City Council of Davenport for the purchase of two fire-engines, two hose-carts, and 1,500 feet of hose. First permanent organization of fire company. Oct. 21, dedication of St. Marguerite's church of Davenport. Dec. 5, first concert given by the Philharmonic Society. Dec. 9, ice bridge formed over the Mississippi. Davenport iron works established on Rock Island street, near Second, by Jemme, Donnelly & Lea; capital, $18,000; value of manufactures, $100,000; employing 55 hands. County jail erected, under the superintendence of Hon. W. L. Cook, then county judge. Le Claire machine works bought by M. Donahue; capital, $50,000; employ 40 hands; manufactures, $150,000 for the year.
1857. - Jan. 1 dissolution of Sander & Davis, publishers of the daily and weekly Gazette, of Davenport, and partnership entered of Alfred and Add. H. Sanders. Jan. 9, Second Presbyterian church of Davenport destroyed by fire. Jan. 21, bill passed to amend the city charter of Davenport. Feb. 16, Board of Trade organized, and its officers elected. Feb. 17, 16 persons baptized in the river by the pastor of Second Baptist Church of Davenport. March 17, Dr. Burtis disposed of his interest in the Le Claire House, Davenport, to Mr. Schuyler. March 9, a fire broke out in a store on Brady street, Davenport, occupied by Mr. Meyers as a cigar store. The fire spread to a two-story frame, owned by George L. Davenport, and occupied by Dr. W. W. parker as a hardware store. Both buildings were consumed. Mr. Meyers' loss, $500, and Mr. Parker's, $8,700. April 16, Davenport furniture factory organized. May 1, opeining of Cook & Sargent's new banking house in Davenport, on the corner of Main and Second streets. May 19, $70 asked for a ton of hay. May 29, arrival of the two fire engines for Davenport, the "Pilot" and the "Witch," from Boston, Mass., costing $3,400, throwing streams 200 feet from a 1 - 1/4 inch nozzel; "Pilot" weighing 3,670 pounds, and the "Witch," 3,610 pounds. The "Rover" reel, with her hose, weighs 2,080 pounds. June 15 lively encounter between steamboat men and the bridge tenders, in which several were injured by stones being thrown from the steamer "Wm. H. Nelson." July 6, great fire broke out on Brady street, between Fourth and Fifth streets, in Davenport, destroying 13 frame houses, used as stores and dwellings, and a large amount of household furniture. July 31, a boiler explosion in the M. & M. workships, opposite the depot in Davenport. Two boilers were blown to pieces, the engines and brick work being scattered in all directions; but few lives were lost. Damage to property estimated to reach $5,000. Aug. 25, gas cut off for two weeks in Davenport during necessary repairs, and for new improvements and additions to the works. Sept. 4, a boiler explosing at Renwick's mill; no one hurt. Sept. 28, first town clock in Davenport; put up by Cook & Sargent in front of their banking house, on the corner of second and Main streets. Oct. 1, Trinity church, Davenport, first lighted with gas. Oct. 19, the Independent fire engine and hose company took possession of their new engine room.
1858. - January, organization of the Pioneer Settlers' Association of Scott County. Feb. 22, the Burtis House, on the corner of Fifth and Iowa streets, Davenport, opened to the public and the first annual festival of the pioneer Settlers' Society. May 3, German Fire Company, No 3, organized in Davenport. Aug. 4, Cook & Sargent's bank refused to receive Burrows & Prettyman's currency, except on special deposit. Aug. 11, trial of Thomas Cellian for the murder of his wife. Aug. 19, the Buckholter arson case on trial. Aug. 29, a disgraceful Sunday riot. Fight between the police and ferry boat hands. Two policeman wounded, and several other parties injured. Sept. 1, first edition of the Davenport Daily Times. On the morning of the 6th, at a quarter past 12 o'clock, a destructive fire broke out in the old Bazaar building, corner of Brady and the river, in Davenport. It started in one of the saloons in the basement. The building was erected in 1852, and was worth $3,000. Cook & Sargent burned $200,000 of Florence currency in the furance of their new building. Sept. 28, the steamer "Fannie Harris" sunk, and two lives were lost. Two firemen were knocked off the boat by the force of the collision with the bridge piers. Damages to the boat amounted to about $2,000. Oct. 17, the Denton House caought on fire, destroying all the furniture; loss $10,000. Nov. 6, a burglar effected an enterance into the post office by cutting out a panel in the rear door. About $12 was stolen. Arrest of two counterfeiters in Meyers' saloon on Brady street, with over $2,000 of the "queer" in their possession. Nov. 22, a bold but unsuccessful attempt to set fire to the new bank of Cook & Sargent, in Davenport. Dec. 14, two children burned to death, and one child severely injured, belonging to the family of Richard Dutton, who lived on Harrison, between Ninth and Tenth streets, Davenport.
1859. - Feb. 22, second annual festival of the Old Settlers' Society at thr Burtis House. March 20, the steamer "Aunt Letty" blown against one of the bridge pieces, and about 40 feet of her hull stove in. May 12, the Pike's Peak excitement in full bloom. Grand review of the fire companies of Davenport and Rock Island. May 30, the Pike's Peak bubble bursts, and a large number of our citizens are daily returning. Several attempts at burglary and robbery from buildings and persons recorded on the 30th. June 6, daring but unsuccessful attempt to destory the Rock Island Railroad bridge over the Mississppi River. Oct. 24, two pesons stabbed in Weideman's beer garden, on the bluff, by cabin boys from the steamer "Fred Lorenz." Oct. 30, death of William Herrig one of the young man stabbed in Weideman's beer garden, Davenport. Nov. 4, daring but unsuccessful attempt to break jail frustrated by the plucky conduct of Jailer Graham's wife, of Davenport. Nov. 8, Sundays laws, a special ordinance passed by the City Council of Davenport, that the city marshal be hereby ordered to prevent the unlawful assemblage on the Sabbath day at dance houses, beer houses, grog shops and drinking saloons, etc. Nov. 21, first malt house in Davenport started by Mr. Decker, corner of Fourth and Scott streets. The first operation in trachaeotomy, in Davenport, successfully performed by Dr. Adler, assisted by Drs. Fountain and Maxwell, on a little son of Mr. D. B. Shelley. Nov. 26, the Andalusia packet "Comet" met with an accident during the storm. While coming up river under a heavy press of canvas, when a short distance above Credit Island, was struck by a squall, and her mainmast and rigging were carried overboard, and encountering a heavy sea, sunk in five feet of water. The crew safely swam ashore. Dec. 2, old John Brown was publicly executed at 11 o'clock on the morning of Dec. 2, at Charleston, Va. A number of the German citizens of Davenport showed their sympathy for him by lowering the flag to half mast on Lahramann's Hall, and draped it in mourning; a number of stores had crape on their hats. Dec. 16, the Odd Fellows of Davenport dedicated their new hall on Brady above Fifth street. Dec. 16, suspension of Cook & Sargent's banking house of Davenport.
1860. - Jan. 1, Hon. Hiram Price elected mayor of Davenport with a majority of 268 votes over Judge Grant. Jan. 23, destructiove fire broke out at 90 Brady street, Davenport, occupied by Miss Renwick as a millinery store; loss nearly $3,000. Jan. 28, Horace Greeley lectured on Northwestern America, and had the largest audience that had ever assembled for a similar occasion in Daveport. Feb. 22, grand military display to celebrate the anniversary of George Washington's birthday. Feb. 27, first annual festival of the Scott County "New England Society," held in the Burtis House, Davenport. March 21, the city hospital, situated about one mile from the city of Davenport, on Locust street, destroyed by fire; work of an incendiary. March 22, Messrs J. D. Mathers & A. Winert erected a soap, candle factory and tannery in Davenport. Mr. Stroh also erected a fine two-story brick store on Harrison, above second street, and Mr. Richard B. Hill erected a block of five warehouses on Front street, corner of Brady. April 21, Robert E. Campbell, of Davenport, a banker, committed suicide. June 1, a brush manufactory was started in Davenport by Joseph Whisler, on Ripley street. Marble works opened by McCosh & Donahue. June 3, the large ice-house 100 x 30 feet, belonging to E. Peck, blown down. June 25, riotous and disgracefull proceedings at the election polls in the Sixth Ward of Davenport during the election for alderman. July 4, an immense crowd of the citizens of Davenport turn out and enjoy the day. Splendid parade made by the military and other civic societies. July 19, new grocery house opened in Davenport by A. J. Preston, John Rowe starts in business, on his own account, in the gas and steam fitting and plumbing line. July 22, a very narrow escape of Dr. J. A. Reid, of Davenport, from drowning. July 26, completion of several of the fine stores in R. B. Hill's block on Second street. Kehoe & Carhart opened up a dry-goods store. Aug. 9, several new ware-houses completed and opened up by Charles Glassman, grocer, on Third, below Gaines street. William Dalzell put up a frame 80 x 25, on Harrison street, above Fifth. J. S. Coates erected a stone building 75 x 30, of one and a half storied, on the southeast corner of Perry and Front streets, Davenport. Aug. 12, extensive improvements made in the Great Western Brewery; the amount of capital invested is about $16,000. Aug. 15, Young Men's Associated Congress organized. Sept. 9, farewell sermon preached by Rev. George F. Magoun, pastor of the Congregational Church of Davenport. Sept. 12, Mayor Caldwell, of Davenport, forfeited his position as mayor by mobing outside of the city limits. Sept. 16, the Reformed Dutch church was dedicted at 10 A. M. and the Rev. C. G. Van Derveer was installed as pastor. The church is located on the corner of Eleventh and Brady streets, Davenport. Sept. 18, a broom factory started by C. H. Van Epps; also a woolen and spinning mill opened. Oct. 3, the Davenport Gazette took the diploma and a $10 premium at the State Fair for the best looking paper in the State of Iowa.
1861. - Feb. 24, an attempt was made to assassinate President Lincoln, whilst traveling from Harrisburg to Baltimore. March 29, sudden death of Dr. E. J. Fountain. Six attempts at incendiarism in one night. April 7, election day; Republicans carry the day by a large majority. H. G. French elected Mayor; O. S. McNeil, Marshal. Charles H. Eldridge succeeded A. F. Mast as Postmaster. Mr. Mast had held the office for eight years. April 15, great excitement in Davenport over the reported surrender of Fort Sumter by Major Anderson. April 24, Governor Kirkwood's arrival at Davenport, and the acceptance of Captains Littler's and Wentz's companies for the second Regiment. May 10, collision with the bridge by the steamer "Gray Eagle," which sunk a few minutes afterward; total loss of boat and cargo, valued at $50,000. May 10, A. F. Mast, ex-Postmaster of Davenport, opened a grocery store on the corner of Third and Harrison streets. May 20, Captain R. M. Littler and his regiment, the Davenport City Guards, ordered to Keokuk. May 22, sword presentation to Captain R. M. Littler by the Davenport Guards. July 1, appointment of Add. Sanders to the position of staff officer to the governor. July 29, Col. Hoffman appointed to take charge of a regiment. Aug. 12, appointment of Dr. M. B. Coehran as surgeon to the First Regiment of Iowa Cavalry. Aug. 13, terrible fight in Missouri. The rebels repulsed with tremendous loss. The rebel depot on the Potomac cleaned out. Captain Littler promoted to lieutenant-colonelcy of his regiment. Aug. 17, Edwards Congregational Church of Davenport re-organized. Aug. 27, grand reception to Captain Wentz's company, First Regiment of Iowa Volunteers. Sept, 6, Company C, Second Regiment of Iowa Cavalry, organized with Henry Egbert as captain. Sept. 8, Colonel Hoffman resigns his commission as colonel of the Eighth Regiment. Sept. 25, death of Antoine Le Claire, aged 63 years nine months and ten days. Mr. Le Claire was struck with paralysis about nine days before his death. Oct. 11, election delayed on account of war excitement. Resulted as follows: James Thorington, Sheriff; August F. Mast, Recorder. Nov. 9, Lieut.-Colonel Wentz killed in an engagement at Belmont. Nov. 12, arrival of the body of the late gallant Colonel Wentz, and the same lying in state in Metropolitan Hall. Nov. 13 funeral of the late Col. Wentz; grand military display, in which all the public schools, civic societies and citizens take part. Business generally suspended, and houses on the route draped in mourning for one of Iowa's most gallant dead. Add. H. Sanders appointed Lieut.-Colonel of the 16th Regiment Iowa Infantry, quartered at Camp McClellan. Dec. 5, presentation of a sword and revolvers to Lieut.-Colonel Sanders by Col. Hill. Dec. 17, Charleston, S. C. in flames.
1862. - Feb. 7, Fort Henry taken by the Union army. Feb. 17, Fort Donelson and 15,000 prisoners surrendered to Gen. Grant. Feb. 26, arrival at Davenport of the late Capt. Slaymaker's body, who was killed before Fort Donelson; impressive funeral services held in St. Luke's church. April 6, election day; Hon. G. H. French re-elected Mayor; Harvey Leonard, Marshal. April 11, the 8th, 12th and 14th Regiments of Iowa Infantry taken prisoners. Lieut.-Col. Littler lost his left arm in the attack before Pittsburg Landing. April 29, capture of New Orleans and occupation by the Federal forces. May 6, disastrous fire in Davenport, destroying the grain elevator on the southwest corner of Fifth and Harrison streets; loss, $12,000. May 12, Norfolk in possession of the Federals. May 19, suicide in the Burtis House of Jennett Dutton. May 25, dissolution of partnership existing between Alfred and Add. H. Sanders, of the Davenport Gazette; the business was continued by Alfred Sanders. July 21, Burrows & Prettyman's mill and block destroyed by fire; loss, $60,000. Sept. 8. Alfred Sanders disposed of his interest in the Davenport Gazette to Messrs. James McCosh, Edward Russell, Fred Koops and Levi Davis, the same entering into a co-partnership to be known as the "Gazette Company." Oct. 14, Col. Sanders returns home badly wounded by a minie ball in his right leg, which he recieved while leading his regiment against the enemy, his horse being shot from under him. The Colonel procured another horse and remained with his men till dark. Dec. 1, dedication of the new German Theater of Davenport, corner of Scott and Third streets, by a grand ball.
1863. - Jan. 6, sword presented to Major William Penn Clark. Jan. 13, Old settlers reunion. Feb. 17, a new bakery opened by Messrs. Matthes & Berkel in Davenport. Feb. 21, Davenport starch factory started by George A. Baker & Brother. March 7, new banking house opened in Davenport by Messrs. Corbin & Dow. March 26, Le Claire Row, Davenport, on Second street, from Main to Brady, sold to Charles Veile, of Evansville, Ind., for $60,000. April 4, John E. Henry elected mayor of Davenport. April 27, Democrat issued as an evening instead of morning paper. May 11, Mr. J. J. Richardson became associated with his brother in the proprietorship of the Democrate of Davenport. May 18, Messrs. Schricker & Dressanit purchased the mill property of Burmell, Gillette & Co., for $9,000. June 29, the First National Bank opened with Austin Cobin, President, and Ira M. Gifford, Cashier, and secured the first certificate issued under the new baking law in the United States. Aug. 31, the Davenport City Relief Society organized with Mayor John E. Henry as President; G. L. Davenport, Treasurer, and F. H. Griggs, Secretary. Sept. 21, 10 candidates admitted to the university by Bishop Ames, of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Sept. 23, Robert Sickels, who had been in business in Davenport many years, formed a co-partnership with A. J. Preston, in the hardware and iron trade. Nov. 11, Twin City Mills destroyed by fire; loss, $15,000. Shields' woolen-mill in operation for the first time.
1864. - Jan. 1, Young Men's Library, connected with the Associated Congress of Davenport, organized with a library of 1,200 volumes. June 1, 44th Iowa Regiment mustered into Government service, with S. H. Henderson, Colonel; Henry Egbert, Lientenant-Colonel, and E. F. Richman, Adjutant. July 11, gold closed in New York on Saturday at $2.86. Aug. 18, a load of barley sold on the streets of Davenport for $1.81 per bushel. Aug. 29, Messrs. Bryant & Co., of Davenport, establish a jobbing-house for boots and shoes. Aug. 31, corner-stone of Griswold College laid. Terrible fight between raftsmen in Hartel's saloon, on Second street, between Perry and Rock Island streets, Davenport; one man dangerously stabbed. Sept. 22, General Sheridan routs the enemy at Harper's ferry; over 5,000 prisoners taken; great public demonstration and rejoicing at the favorable tidings. Nov. 24, Lieut.-Colonel Robert M. Littler appointed acting Assistant Provost Marshal General for the state of Maine, with headquarters at Augusta. Dec. 25, General Sherman captures Savennah, including 150 guns and 33,000 bales of cotton. Dec. 29, Griswold College chapel consecrated by Bishop Lee, and assisted by Bishop Vail, of Kansas.
1865. - Jan. 18, Fort Fisher captured by the Union army; great rejoicings at Davenport; a salute of 100 guns fired in honor of the victory. March 14, Opening of Bryant & Stratton Commercial Business College in Nichol's Block, corner of Brady and Second streets, Davenport. April 1, John L. Davies elected Mayor; William Pool, Marshal; W. A. Remington, Treasurer; Francis Ochs, Assessor, of Davenport. April 3, Petersburg evacuated and Richmond taken. April 9, Lee surrendered, with his entire army, to General Grant. Extensive conflagration in dwellings in rear of St. Louis Hotel, Davenport; stables and numerous dwellings destroyed; loss, $8,000. Another fire broke out in a frame building, used for storage of hay and feed for horses and mules in the Government stables, on Second street, between Perry and Rock Island, Davenport; loss $1,000. Still another fire broke out in stable in the alley between Perry and Brady, used by Dr. Carpenter. April 10, grand gala day in Davenport, and great rejoicings; immense procession; grand illumination in the evening. April 11, Major R. M. Littler promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel of U.S. Volunteers, by President Lincoln , for faithful and meritorious service. April 15, President Lincoln shot dead; J. Wilkes Booth the assassin. Secretary Seward also assailed by a murderer; he survives the wounds inflicted upon him; the would-be assassin escaped. April 25, death of Alfred Sanders, former proprietor of the Gazette. April 28, Booth, the assassin of President Lincoln, was shot dead, and his accomplice, Harold, was taken prisoner about three miles from Port Royal. April 29, terrible accident on the Mississippi, a few miles above Cairo, by the explosion of the steamer "Sultana;" over 1,000 lives were lost, and the boat burned to the water's edge. May 14, Jeff Davis, the rebel President, captured in Irwinville, Georgia. July 13, hoop-skirt manufactory established in Davenport by Winter, Crouse & Co., at No. 23 East Second street. Aug. 20, a man shot dead whilst assaulting a returned soldier with an ax, in Davenport; verdict rendered, justifiable homicide. Oct. 10, Removal of Mr. Russell as post-master, and General Sanders appointed to the position. Oct. 31, post office removed to the corner of Third and Perry streets.
1866. - April 8, election day in Davenport; John L. Davies was elected Mayor; W. A. Remington, Treasruer; Francis Ochs, Assessor, William Pool, Marshal. May 7, collision, the steamer "Enterprise" sunk by striking the large pier of the bridge; loss, $40,000, insurance, $12,000. May 15, arrival of the new steam fire-engine for the Fire Kings of Davenport. May 16, firemen's annual review of Davenport; grand display of the department; after the inspection by the City Council was concluded, the engines were tried and worked satisfactorily. May 25, Davenport rope factory started. Aug. 1, the Atlantic cable laid, and in good working order. Aug. 21, the roof of the Congregational church fell in while undergoing repairs; no one injured. Oct. 6, survey commenced for the railroad bridge and carriage drive over the Mississippi, under the supervision of E. H. Johnson. Oct. 9, Hiram Price, of Davenport, elected member of Congress. Oct. 18, improvements and enlargement of St. Marguerite's church completed. Dec. 9, lamentable occurrence; an elderly woman, Mrs. Julia Ann Cahill, aged 70 years, and two grandchildren burned to death, and a boy fatally injured by the burning of their house on Locust street road. Dec. 28, incendiarism; burning of barn, horses, cattle, hay, etc., belonging to Judge W. L. Cook; loss, $4,000. The number of suicides, burglaries, fires, etc., during the last two months, exceeds anything that has ever occured in Davenport during any six months from the time of its earliest settlement.
1867. - Jan. 24, a new grocery establishment opened in Davenport on Brady street by Messrs. Price & Connor. A new hardware house opened at No. 50 Brady street, by Goodwill & Bissell. Feb. 4, re-opening of the new Y.M.C.A. rooms in Le Claire Block, Davenport, J.S. Conner, President. March 17, six prisoners broke jail, and after a lively chase three were captured by the sheriff and aide. April 6, election day; Michael Donahue, Mayor; J.W. Moore, Marshal; Otto Klung, Treasurer; T.J. Saunders, Assessor. June 11, ceremony of breaking the ground for the Episcopal Cathedral. June 23, first annual commencement of exercises of Griswold College; sermon preached by the Rev. Chester S. Percival, of Cedar Rapids. June 29, permanent location in Davenport of Dr. E.H. Hazen, oculist and aurist. July, corner-stone of St. Mary's church, of Davenport, laid, July 21. Over 200 buildings have been erected and more than $500,000 invested within the last seven months in improvements and addition to business and private houses in Davenport. Sept. 3, another destructive conflagration in Davenport; seven business houses on Brady street in ruins; loss, $160,000. Levi Davis sold his interest in the Gazette Company to J.S. Conner. Sept. 10, the C., R. I. & P. R. R. open to Des Moines; the first train from Davenport through to the capitol celebrated with especial interest. Sept. 30, five buildings burned on East Second street. Davenport, between Perry and Brady streets; loss, $5,000. Nov. 11, Burrows' flour-mill burned; loss, $15,000. Nov. 25, return of Bishop Lee from the Lambeth Conference, to Davenport. Dec. 29, completion of the Burtis Opera House. Dec. 26, formal opening of the Burtis Opera House, Davenport; a grand success.* (Typist, typed dates as written.)
1868. - Jan. 16, subscription books opened for a street railway in Davenport. Feb. 12, great damage done to the bridge by the ice gorge; one span moved off the pier; five steamboats and barges wrecked; the water up to second street; the river rose eight feet in two hours; damages, $150,000. March 16, a tornado on the river; the railroad bridge in ruins; entire destruction of the draw. April 4, election day in Davenport, Mr. Donahue elected Mayor; John Kaufman, Marshal; Otto Klung, Treasurer; Francis Ochs, Assessor. May 23, new grocery store opened by Risley & Bawden, on the corner of Third and Harrison streets, Davenport. July 16, A. L. Mossman swam from the foot of Perry street, Davenport, to the ferry landing at Rock Island in 17 minutes. Dec. 7, Sickles & Preston opened a hardware store in Davenport.
1869. - Jan. 15, a woman arrested in Davenport with $3,000 counterfeit money in her possession. Jan 31, the jewelry store of Archibald Corken entered by burglars; money and jewelry to the value of $1,600 taken. March 2, Third street railroad opened. March 13, estimated population of Davenport, according to the assessor's books, 20, 063. April 4, election day in Davenport; James Renwick elected Mayor; John Kaufman, Marshal; Francis Ochs, Assessor; W.A. Remington, Treasurer. Apr. 9, incendiary work; destruction of John L. Davis planing mill; loss, $20,000; no insurance. Nov. 11, the Democrat building fired, narrow escape of the structure; loss, about $1,600. Dec. 20, Simonson's clothing store on second street, Davenport, bruned; loss $25,000.
1870. - Feb. 26, $10,000 worth of beer destroyed belonging to Knepper & Schlapp, in East Davenport, by parties drilling holes in the large casks and vats, and letting all the beer out; over 700 barrels of lager were destroyed. April 2, Republican victory at the polls in Davenport; John M. Lyter, Mayor; John Kaufman, Marshal; F. Ochs, Assessor; W.A. Remington, Treasurer. Apr. 4, extensive fire in Davenport; Pennsylvania House burned; also three residences; loss, $75,000. April 15, bold attempt to destroy the City Flour Mills, of Davenport; loss $1,100. April 25, Garrett's shoe factory, two dwelling-houses, Kuostman & Petersen's furniture factory and lumber yard burned; loss, $30,000; all in Davenport. May 19, D.A. Burrow's mill of Davenport Burnt; loss, $10,000. Aug. 22, a mother and her two children foully murdered near Second and Warren streets, in Davenport. Aug. 29, a man's arm torn out of the socket at Renwick's mill in Davenport; he dies 30 minutes afterward. Sept. 4, J.C. Bills elected Mayor of Davenport. A new wholesale store for hats, caps, furs and straw goods opened by J.A. Solomon & Co. at No. 10 Veile's Block, Davenport. Sept. 19, new trunk factory started in Davenport by William McKay & Son. Sept. 20, Hosford & Nutting opened a new hardware store in Davenport. Oct. 6, first train on the D. & St. P. R. R. over the Wapsie. Oct. 23, two passenger trains each way daily from Davenport to De Witt. Nov. 20, the firm of Charles Knell and G.R. Marvin opened a new furniture establishment in Davenport. Nov. 21, first regular through passenger train to St. Louis; 248 miles in 11 hours to the Mound City from Davenport. Dec. 15, installation of the Rev. J.B. Stewart as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Davenport.
1871. - Jan. 28, A.S. Alston's store on Second street, Davenport, robbed of $2,000 worth of silks and velvets. Feb. 5, first marriage in Davenport according to the rites of the Jewish faith, the contracting parties being Mr. E. Rothschild, of the city, and Miss C. Lazare, of Rock Island, Ill. April 1, election day in Davenport; J. C. Bills, elected Mayor; J.A. Le Claire, Marshal. Tompson & Bahls opened a new merchant tailoring establishment. Oct. 5, heavy fire in Davenport, the iron elevator destroyed; 50,000 bushels of grain burned; loss, $62,000. Opening of R. Clayton's plumbing, gas and steam-fitting establishment on Second street. Oct. 14, cold-blooded stabbing of Dr. G. W. Lyon, whilst standing in his own door-yard, by Michael Delaney. Dec. 17, Hon. John L. Davies's stable in Harrison street burned; loss $4,000.
1872. - The Rev. J.G. Merrill succeeds the Rev. J.A. Hamilton as pastor of the Edwards Congregational Church, Davenport. March 1, Glue factory started by Mason & Co. on Second street, foot of Ainsworth, 102 x 62; costing $13,000. H.C. Marsh, of Gorton, N.Y., succeeds Levi Davis as one of the proprietors of the Gazette; estimated value of the Gazette property, $55,000. March 28, death of the Hon. John L. Davies, of Davenport. April 4, a fine retail hat, cap, and gents furnishing store opened on Third street, near the postoffice, by W.S. Cameron. Aug. 22, heavy fire in Davenport; destruction of Kirk's planing-mill and other property; loss, $21,000. Nov. 21, Government bridge opened. Dec. 31, completion of the new gas works in Davenport, at a cost of $55,000.
1873. - Jan. 23, destruction of the old city market house of Davenport, on Western avenue; "Rescue" engine and "Pioneer" hook and ladder truck burned; loss, $4,700. Bridge completed; length, including shore spans, 1,848 feet; five spans and one draw. Feb. 10, dedication, by Bishop Andrews. of the new Methodist church of Davenport on Brady street. March 10, reappointment of Postmaster Russell. April 5, J.A. Murphy elected Mayor of Davenport, J.A.LeClaire, City Marshal; B. Finger, Assessor. May 5, completion of the fine organ in the Episcopal Cathedral at a cost of $5,000. May 26, organization of the Davenport Glucose Company; capital stock, $50,000; June 18, consecration of the Episcopal Cathedral; sermon by Bishop Whipple, of Minnesota, in the forenoon, and by Bishop Clarkson, of Nebraska, in the evening. June 22, death of Dr. White, late business manager of the Gazette Company. Aug. 26, corner-stone of the new Trinity church laid, on the corner of Brady and Seventh streets. Oct. 14, election returns; L. Rholfs, Treasurer; H. Leonard, Sheriff; L. Robeson, Assessor. Dec.26, dedication of the new Congregational church, corner of Ninth and Perry streets. Dec.30, opening of new water works at a cost of $512,000.
1874. - Fire pressure; official test of the water-works; the pumps can furnish 9,610,200 gallons in 24 hours, supplied by two engines, each of 125 horse-power. Feb. 5, swindling venture of T.S. Egglesht & Co., to steal $15,000 from three banks; capture of Egglesht after a smart chase. March 20, E.C. Chapin succeeds the late Dr. J.H.White as business manager of the Gazette Company, by purchasing a one-third interest. April 4, election returns are : J.W. Stewart, Mayor; B. Finger, Assessor; J.H. LeClaire, Marshal. April 27, Fritz Dinkel kills his wife with a butcher knife. Sept. 27, death of Bishop Lee from the effects of serious injuries received from falling down stairs. Dec. 25, opening of the new Trinity church of Davenport on the corner of Seventh and Brady. Jan. 3, Renwick Memorial or East Davenport Mission church, dedicated. Jan. 9, remarkable change in the weather; at 11 A.M. 21* above zero; at 2 P.M. 4* below, and at 10 P.M., 21* below zero in Davenport. March 29, disastrous fire in Davenport; Sheilds' woolen-mill partially destroyed; heavy loss of machinery, wool and cloth; loss, $30,000 to $40,000. April 3, election day in Davenport; Roderick Rose, elected Mayor; E.H. Jenning, Marshal; B. Finger, Assessor. May 8, great morning in Davenport; the loss of the steamship "Schiller," 16 residents of Davenport being among the lost, viz.: Charles F. Haase, wife and two children; Otto Kircher, P.A. Panlsen, William Fraham, Mrs. Margaretha Klommer, P.C. Roschmann, Mrs. Emma Hansen and child, Henry Goetsch, G.W. Gutsch and wife, John Nissen and John Bonhoff. May 12, Consecration of Trinity church, of Davenport; sermon by Bishop Talbot. Aug. 28, Seig & Williams entered their new warehouse; a fine three-story brick, 43 x 150 feet, on the southeast corner of Third and Main streets, Davenport. Sept. 4, M. Weidemann opens a new dry-goods, notions, and millinery establishment, on the corner of Second and Harrison streets, Davenport. Sept. 14, Beiderbecker & Miller take possession of their fine new building of West Second street, Davenport; its size is 150 x 70, and three stories high, with all the latest interior improvements. Nov. 4, Mr. Edward Russell again assumes the chair as editor-in-chief of the Gazette by purchasing the interest of W.M. Potter.
1876. - Jan. 1, Gazette annual review shows the following building improvements during 1875: Charles Hill's furniture store on Second street, four stories, 21x80; cost $6,000; a three-story brick on Second street between Ripley & Scott, 40x75, erected by August Steffen and H. Dohrman, cost $10,000; Reupke, Schmidt & Co., cracker factory, corner Iowa and Fourth street, 43x150, two story, cost $5,000; Schauder's Hotel, Front street, three-story brick, 20x70, cost, $6,000; Steffen's Block, corner Harrison and Second, 87x77, three-story brick and iron, cost, $25,000; Grant's Hotel, corner of Main and Front streets, three-story brick, 55x150, 73 rooms, and cost $21,000. Feb. 22, great fire in Davenport; destruction of Hill's block and several stores and offices; loss over $50,000. April 1, election day; Roderick Rose, Mayor; Edward Jennings, Marshal. April 3, U. N. Roberts & Co. took possession of their fine new three-story brick, corner of Harrison and Fourth; size 63x105. May 15, heavy fire broke out in Renwick, Shaw & Crossett's mill; lumber and machinery destroyed valued at $10,000. Sept. 10, Rev. William Stevens Perry, D. D. (of Trinity Church, Geneva, N. Y.), consecrated bishop of the Episcopal Church for the diocese of Iowa. Oct. 4, first issue of the new German paper, Der Sternen Banner.
1877. - Jan. 1, annual review of the Gazette, 1876, shows building improvements $214,250; total amount of manufactures, $11,302,902.07; goods sold at whoesale, $5,397,000; grain receipts, 5,380,000 bushels. Jan. 18, arrival at the water-works, Davenport, of the new engines. March 14, J. L. Daymude succeeds E. C. Chapin as business manager of the Gazette Company. April 7, election day in Davenport; T. T. Dow, elected Mayor, E. J. Jennings, Marshal; E. H. Schmidt, Assessor. Aug 12, completion of the new Board of Trade rooms, of Davenport. Aug. 20, Der Demokrat moves into its new quarters; fine three-story brick, cut-stone front, on Third street, near Main. Sept. 15, Whitaker's mill destroyed by fire; loss, $10,000. Oct. 4, corner-stone laid of the new library building for the Academy of Science. Nov. 6, the corner-stone of the new library building, with impressive cermonies by the Masonic order. Nov. 20, new book store opened on Brady street, by Garside & Platt. Dec. 16, the 100-foot single-deck span on the island side of Government bridge broken down, by a derrick attached to a freight train, and Conductor McFarland seriously injured. Dec 30, dedication of the Fire King's new engine house on Perry street. Ashtabula bridge disaster, Dec. 28, 1876.
Captain Haupt, proprietor of the Mississippi House, Davenport, died Jan. 6, in the 57th year of his age. He had run the house for 20 years. March 6, 1877, George Mordaunt arrested for forgery on several parties in Davenport. June 25, severe storm throughout the county; great damage to crops. July 26, big strike of railroad employes. Sept. 8, old settlers had a barbecue at Blue Grass.
1878. - Jan. 3, Der Demokrat appears enlarged from six to seven colum paper. Jan. 1, a steamboat, the "McDonald," landed from Le Claire; something that is almost unknown. Jan. 5, death of Fred. O. Parker. March 30, dastardly attempt of two masked men to kill and rob Father Cosgrove. April 8, Major Gustavus Schnitzer received a telegram from Hon. Hiram Price, at Washington, that he was appointed United States Marshal for Wyoming Territory. April 6, Charles Hagerty, arrested for the attempted murder of father Cosgrove. May 12, snow and frost all over the West. Davenport had her share. May 22, State Homeopathic Convention met at Burtis House. Dec. 9, snow storm lasting part of three days; snow about three feet deep.
1879. - The Gazette shows a record of 1878 of the business interests of Davenport; total value of manufactories $4,458,908; amount of wholesale and jobbing trade as $5,048,500; building improvements $160,000. During the year 1878, 29,189 passengers were ticketed from the C., R. I. & P. R. R. ticket office at Davenport. Jan. 7, a Mrs. Hogan living about three miles from Davenport burned to death; caught her clothing afire while warming herself. Jan. 4, quite a serious fire at Princeton, sweeping away an entire row of substautial brick buildings, the worst loss this place has ever had, being about $9,500. Jan. 12, John McManus and wife had gone to church and left their five children; the oldest boy, Frank, had the day before bought a pistol, and he got it out, and supposing it to be unloaded, pointed it at his sister Mary and pulled the trigger; the pistol was dischared the ball entering her brain; she died in a short time. Jan. 15, corn blockade at Chicago. Jan. 30, Gen. Sigel was in Davenport on a short visit to his friends. Feb. 8, quite a fire on the corner of Second and Brady streets; loss about $3,000. Feb. 15, James McManus died at his residence at the west end of Third street. Feb. 20, death of Mrs. Clarissa C. Cook. March 29, death of N. M. Rambo. April 4, double death by suicide, of Harry Watt and Louisa Filter. April 15, William Smith crushed to death by a boiler falling on him while helping to move it at the rear end of the round-house in Davenport. April 21, Mrs. Scharmberas' and Mr. Becker's houses on West Ninth street were bruned. May 2, Frederick Winters committed suicide by jumping into the river. May 6, Warren Chase fell from the top of Mr. Ballard's house in Davenport, where he was painting. His neck was nearly broken and spinal column so injured that the whole body was paralyzed. May 11, 36 girls and boys took their first communion at St. Anthony's church, Davenport. May 20, Judge Dillon tendered the petition of professor of municipal and real-estate law in Columbia Law School, New York, at a salary of $7,000. May 22, total destruction of H. P. Beatties flouring mill by fire; loss $100,000. May 28, telegram received by Charles E. Putnam, that his son John C. was drowned at Hoboken, N. J., while attending school. May 31, Government bridge opened permanently after being closed for repairs. Mrs. D. Keck bought the John P. Cook residence at the cost of $12,000. June 2, the Mrs. Ebenezer Cook will case settled.
On the 4th of July a lad named Henry Gaston acted the part of a genuine hero in saving the life of James Collins, a boy of 13 years, who was drowning in the river. A burglary was perpetrated at the residence of Mr. G. P. Knostman, on the night of the 3d of July, 1879. Several valuable articles were stolen. One of the most furious storms of wind and rain that ever visited this locality occurred on the morning of the 9th of July. Not much damage was done to buildings, but the injury to the crops was enormous, whole fields of corn and oats being prostrated. On Thursday afternoon, July 12, a fatal accident occurred to one of Davenport's old and established citizens, Christian Rusch. He was carrying some shingles to the carpenters, to a scaffolding just beneath the eaves of a barn they were building, when the scaffolding fell with him to the ground. He was taken up senseless and died from the effects of his injuries Friday noon. He had been a resident of Scott County since 1857, and had always been a quiet man, honest and highly esteemed by his acquaintances. Jacob Breis, who was in his 90th year, died July 16, at the residence of his son-in-law, Lucas Ruhl. The deceased had been a resident of Davenport for 30 years. At 10 o'clock on the morning of July 19, the body of an unknown man was found in the river at the foot of Harrison street; an inquest was held, the jury's verdict being "death from accidental drowning." The glucose company had $7,000 worth of machinery under contract for their works, much of it nearly completed, when the works were totally destroyed by fire, July 19. The body of George Westphal, of Davenport, who was drowned off a Government dredge boat, above Hampton, on Monday afternoon, July 28, was recovered below Hampton two days later. He had been a resident of Davenport 22 years. An attempt was made to rob the drug store of J. F. Koch, on the night of Aug. 5, which came near resulting in the death of Mr. Knoch; two shots were fired by the burglar which missed their mark. B. B. Woodward, for many years one of Davenport's most prominent citizens, died at his residence in that city Aug. 19, after a long and painful illness. Nathaniel Wilson died of old age in Le Claire township, Aug. 19. He was one of the first pioneers in that township and has resided in Scott Coutny 42 years. On Thursday morning, Aug. 28, the most costly, the finest, and one of the largest barns in Scott County, belonging to E. W. Gilbert, of New York, and occupied by C. Druehl, was struck by lightning and completely demolished. A shocking ontrage was perpetrated in Winfield township on Friday night, Sept. 26. Near midnight three masked men forced an entrance into the house of Farmer Flanery, dragged him from his bed, then, in spite of all resistance from him and pleadings from his wife, they took him out of doors and kicked and beat him in the most brutal manner and ended their infamous work by throwing him in a pond. His injuries were very severe. A shocking accident occurred on Oct. 20. The victim was Edward Fleming, son of James Fleming, No 522 West Fifth street. He had been put to work by his employer to melt zine to galvanize telephone wire. Following instructions he poured a composition of some kind into a kettle of boiling zinc causing an instantaneous explosion; which covered his face and neck with the scalding stuff, which sank deep in the flesh. He presented a horribe spectacle, both eyes being burned out. The burning of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul round-house occurred on Oct. 30, two engines being badly damaged. The death of John Burnside occurred at his home in Blue Grass township, Nov. 8. He was a true, upright and honest man, respected by all who knew him. On Dec. 12, the livery stable of Judson Parcell was almost completely destroyed by fire. The live stock and portable property were all saved, but the buildings were almost totally demolished. After several months of illness with consumption Hon. Eugene Birchard died at home, in Pleasant Valley Township, Dec. 13.
1880. - On the morning of Jan. 2, George Balch met with a fatal accident at the railroad yards, dying at 2 o'clock in the afternoon from the effects of his injuries. The quiet peace of Sunday morning, Jan. 11, was disturbed by a most horrible accident, resulting in the death of Miss Addie E. Webb. The exact nature of the accident will never be known, but it is supposed that a lamp she was carrying exploded and set fire to her clothing and body; death relieved her of her sufferings soon after. On the night of Feb. 1, the First National Bank caught fire and came near being entirely destroyed. There was no damage to the books or private valuables, but the building presented a sorry sight. T. B. Olshausen's pottery on Eight street, was destroyed by fire Feb. 14. As bold an operation in the robber's line, as ever was carried out in Davenport-a peculiar operation standing alone in its class-was enacted on the evening of Feb. 17. About 9 o'clock the law office of Martin, Murphy & Lynch was entered; a young attorney, D. S. Driscoll, was blind-folded, gagged and made to unlock the safe; $303 in cash was the reward of the robbers bold scheme. The death of Col. J. H. Berryhill occurred March 3. On Thursday morning, March 11, the large frame travern known as the Meyers Place, with barn and dance hall adjoining, were consumed by fire. Terrible storm of wind and rain April 19, causing great destruction of property. One of Davenport's honored citizens, Dr. C. G. Blood, died April 27. A large fire occurred May 6, 1880, resulting in the destruction of the extensive rope-walk of M. Bondinot & Sons, a dwelling house and barn.
A horrible tragedy occurred on the night of May 10. A young man named Frank McLaughlin was shot and instantly killed on West Fifth street, by a saloon keeper, Fred Bahl. Joesph J. Brown, a well-known citizen of Davenport, committed suicide, May 16, 1880. A cyclone passed over Scott County, June 5, creating terrible devastations. Property was destroyed to the amount of $70,000. Charles Arp, a son of Peter Arp, one of Scott County's prominent citizens, committed suicide June 16 by lying on the railroad track and letting a freight train pass over him, mangling him in a shocking manner. James Baraclough threw some gunpowder into the fire, an explosion followed instantly, and the boy James was severely burned, his face being literally blown to pieces, and one thumb blown off. The large barn of John Schroecker was completely demolished by fire at 12 o'clock, on the night of Nov. 29; the summer kitchen was also burned, total loss being $750. A ghastly affair occurred on the 30th of November. A young man named Henry Wolhoeft, who had been laboring under mental disorder for some time past, secured a butcher knife and started up stairs with it. His mother instantly missed the knife and followed him, begging him not to kill himself; she caught hold of his arm, but with a powerful wrench he threw her from him, and before she could reach him again he had inflicted a terrible cut on his throat, from the effects of which he died soon after. The most destructive fire that had occurred in Davenport for some time took place on the night of Aug. 15. The vinegar works and paper warehouse, owned by Fay & Smith, on Front street, were almost completely destroyed by fire; total loss, $33,500. On Friday, Aug. 20, the planing mill, sash, door and buildingshop of Groves Bros. was consumed by fire; total loss, $8,600. Rev. Father George Brophy died in this city, at the advanced age of 105 years, on Oct. 16. A $4,500 fire occurred in Davenport Dec. 31, in the Davis Block.
1881. - A terrible cutting affray occurred on the night of Jan. 28, 1881, which came near resulting in the death of one or two of the participants. A snow-storm visited Davenport on Feb. 11, and continued until Feb. 13. Railroads were blocked, street-cars were stopped from running, and business generally suspended. About six miles below Buffalo lived the family of Theodore Krause. On Monday, Feb. 14, Mr. and Mrs. Krause drove up to Buffalo to purchase some supplies, leaving their four children in charge of things at home, but expecting them to remain at school until its close in the afternoon. But the youngest child, Minnie, went home at noon for some purpose. about half-past one o'clock a neighbor, in driving past the place, observed a couple of hogs pulling something about the yard, while a strong odor of burned flesh filled the air, and, running in, was horrified to find the child Minnie on the ground, her clothing having been nearly burned off, and her body and arms and head appeared roasted and blackened, while her legs had been torn by the hogs. She died from the effects of her injuries. Evidently she had been trying to re-kindle the fire in the stove, and her clothing had been caught by the flames, and she ran into the yard and threw herself in the snow to extinguish the flames, and while thus prostrate had been attacked by the hogs.
A horrible accident occurred at Walcott, Feb. 28. A laborer named Samuel Cummings was shoveling snow off the railroad track, when a freight train from the West came along, pushed by the engine of the construction train. He was struck and fell back, then rolled down upon the track, caught and dragged some distance. The train was stopped, but before help could reach him he was dead. Capt. A. H. Davenport died at his home in Le Claire on Sunday afternoon, March 27. The old planing-mill at the corner of Third and Farnam streets was burned April 26; total loss, $3,900. David Le Claire, the oldest settler left in Davenport after the death of Mrs. Marguerite Le Claire, died at his residence in West Davenport, May 13.
On the morning of July 2, while preparations were going on for the celebration of the Fourth, with crowds from the country and neighboring towns thronging the streets, bent on amusement, came news which thrilled the city as was never the case but once, and that was when the great Lincoln was murdered. It was about 9:30 o'clock when the first telegram came, "President Garfield was shot twice at the B. & O. depot at Washington." News came shortly after that the wound was not fatal, and people took hope. The name of the cowardly assassin was Charles J. Guiteau. Capt. Robert Melville died at his home in this city, July 21. On the morning of July 29, 1881, Thomas Greene, of Tamaco, who was in this city under medical treatment, received a sun stroke, which caused him the loss of his sense of speech. Two boys, Eugene and Fritz Ivers, were drowned while in bathing near Paige, Dixon & Co.'s mill, on Friday, Aug. 12. Mr. R. F. Paige, of the firm of Paige, Dixon & Co. died at his home in this city, Sept. 1, from heart disease. William Schlimme, a farmer, four miles northwest of Davenport, committed suicide by taking a dose of carbolic acid, on Monday, Oct. 10. Mrs. Doretha Litz, committed suicide in Davenport on the 12th of October, by jumping into a well while in a temporary fit of insanity. A terrible steamboat disaster occurred in front of the city of Davenport, on Thursday night, Oct. 27. The "Jennie Gilchrist" alter passing through the bridge and moving up the channel a short distance became helpless to move, and began floating back toward the bridge. She struck the bridge between piers Nos. 2 and 3. Instantly her steam-pipes parted, and there was a terrific crash like an explosion. The disaster was caused by the breaking of a pitman cam. Eight lives were lost, and cargo to the value of $2,000. Joseph Quick was killed by the accidental discharge of a gun in Winfield township, on Sunday, Oct. 30. J. B. Nebergal, an old and prominent farmer in Blue Grass Township, committed suicide by hanging himself, on Monday, Dec. 26.