Scott Co, Iowa Crime Files - 1865
Submitted by Dave Tague
His great granduncle was Michael Reynolds.

FRONT PAGE ARTICLE---Dem & Ldr August 21, 1865 p.1

A man Shot Dead before his Wife and Children.

Rogertown, a short distance in the rear of East Davenport, was the scene of a desperate contest between Michael Reynolds, an Irish resident of that locality, and Charles McCarthy, of Co. G, 4th Iowa Cavalry, at about half past six o'clock on Saturday evening, which resulted in Reynold's death. The testimony for and against McCarthy varies somewhat. We arrived at the scene of the affray a few moments after it had happened; Reynolds was lying on the ground surrounded by his weeping wife and children, while the neighbors had congregated around awaiting the arrival of the coroner. Mrs. Kelly, an eyewitness, gave the following account:
At about noon, McCarty, Hinds, and another of the 4th cavalry, passed the house, and seeing Mrs. Reynolds at the door, Hinds grossly insulted her. She replied indignantly, when Hinds called numerous infamous names. When Reynolds came home, his wife informed him of what had occurred, and he was very much excited about it. When the three soldiers returned from dinner, Reynolds halted Hinds, and would have assaulted him but that he was prevented by the other two. The soldiers then returned to camp. In the evening, as McCarty was passing, Reynolds, who was under the influence of liquor, rushed out to halt him; Mrs. Reynolds attempted to restrain him, but could not. In reply to R.'s questions as to the object in calling his wife such names, McCarty swore that she was just as what she had been represented to be, and with the back of his hand struck her a blow in the face. At that, Reynolds caught up and axe and striking McCarty a blow in the breast, knocked him down, but did not attempt to strike him after he was down. The soldier sprang to his feet and drew his revolver, "Fire----Fire," cried Reynolds, and he fired, the ball taking effect in his arm. He again dared the soldier to fire, the second ball taking effect in his side near his hip. Again he dared McCarty to fire, which was done and Reynolds fell, shot near the heart. His last words were---"Ann, I'm gone."
McCarty then went to his boarding house near by, ate his supper, bundled his clothes up, and started to camp, very cooly walking by the dead body, the weeping wife, and terror striken children. Reynolds was near forty, and leaves six children.
McCarthy says that Hinds was intoxicated, that he told Mrs. Reynolds so in the afternoon so in the afternoon when she went to camp to have him arrested, and advised her to let the matter rest. He does not admit having struck Mrs. Reynolds, but says that her husband first struck him a blow across the nose with a spade, (and he bears the mark,) knocking him down and then struck him a severe blow on the breast with the butt of an axe after he was down. On getting up, he warned Reynolds, who advanced on him that he would fire, but this warnings were unheeded, and Reynolds continued to brandish an axe threateningly, and fearing the loss of his life, he fired. He was unaware that the first two ball had taken effect and says that he aimed to disable instead of kill.
McCarthy then went to camp and surrendered himself. He has a father and stepmother at Oskaloosa. He is about 24 years of age, medium size, intelligent countenance, black eyes, and dark curly hair. He appears confident that he acted in the only manner in which he could have saved his life. He is now in jail.
ARTICLE #2 of the same paper p.1
Police Court
The Rogertown homicide case was commenced this afternoon,  but up to the time of going to press, but little had been done, and nothing developed but what the reader is already informed of. Mrs. Reynolds appeared for the prosecution of young McCarthy. The young man appears to take matters very quietly, and seems to have no apprehension as to the results of the examination. He has a look of determination on his countenance, yet does not look like one who would murder without cause. The general impression is that he will be released.
The Daily Argus---August 21, 1865 p. 3 (Rock Island Paper)
KILLED---At a locality known as Rogertown, on the bluff back of East Davenport, nearly half way between that place and Camp Kinsman, on Saturday evening, a man named Michael Reynolds was killed by a soldier, named Charles McCarthy, who belonged to Co. G, 4th Iowa cavalry. It seems that McCarthy had insulted Reynolds wife, and Reynolds, hearing of it, attacked him and in the fight McCarthy shot and killed him.
Reynolds, the deceased, leaves a wife and six children.
McCarthy has a father and step mother living near Oskaloosa. He is in jail, awaiting his trial.
Daily Gazette---August 21, 1865 p. 3
Man Shot Dead While Assaulting a Returned Soldier With an Axe.

The locality known as Rogertown, on the bluff back of East Davenport, nearly half way between that place and Camp Kinsman, was on Saturday evening the scene of a desperate assault, made by an Irishman named Michael Reynolds upon a returned soldier of the 4th Iowa cavalry, named Charles McCarthy, belonging to Co. G of that regiment, which resulted in the death of Reynolds, the soldier shooting him during the fracas. The facts in the case are substantially as follows:
About noon on that day an old soldier named Daniel Hinds, also of Co. G, 4th cavalry, while intoxicated and in company with McCarthy, passed the house of Reynolds, and seeing his wife used very unbecoming language towards her. When Reynolds came home he was informed of what had occurred. Incensed at such conduct he forthwith pounced upon Hinds when that individual came along a short time thereafter. McCarthy and one or two others interfered and prevented Reynolds from whipping Hinds. The soldiers then returned to camp and in the afternoon Mrs. Reynolds went there to have Hinds arrested. She was advised by McCarthy to let the matter rest as Hinds was drunk and not knowing what he did when he insulted her. The woman, however, persisted, and some little rough talk ensued. In the evening when McCarthy went to supper-- he with several others taking meals at a house near Reynolds'--the quarrel was renewed, and Reynolds, who was somewhat under the influence of liquor, got a shovel and struck McCarthy a vigorous rap across the nose, which felled him to the ground. He then seized an axe, and again struck at McCarthy, hitting him with the back of it in the breast, inflicting a serious bruise. McCarthy, wheezing and coughing from the effects of the blow, raised from the ground and retreated backwards, shouting to Reynolds, who was advancing towards him, not to come nearer or he would shoot.  Reynolds paid no heed to the threat and continued advancing.  Three shots were then fired by McCarthy, the first taking effect in the arm, the second in the side and the third in the heart of Reynolds.  When the latter received the last and fatal shot he was within two or three feet of his adversary, having persistently advanced while daring him to shoot.  Reynolds fell and died almost immediately.
It was at first supposed that the third shot was the only one which had taken effect, but at the inquest held yesterday, it was shown that the three shots had struck as above stated.  McCarthy, after the occurrence, went and got his supper and then returned to camp, where he surrendered himself and was turned over to the civil authorities, who lodged him in jail.  We visited the jail last evening and conversed with him on the sad affair.  He recounted the details quietly, showing us the blows he had received from Reynolds, and his story agrees in the main with the testimony given before the coroner's jury.  He is about 24 years of age, of medium size, rather light built, has an intelligent countenance, black eyes and hair, the latter somewhat curly, and converses freely yet in a passive manner on the subject.  He is firmly impressed with the belief that he acted in self-defence, and that Reynolds would have killed him if he had not shot him.  McCarthy has a father and step-mother living at Oskaloosa.
Reynolds, the deceased, leaves a wife and six children.  For several hours after he had been killed he was suffered to remain outdoors, the neighbors supposing he must not be touched until the arrival of the coroner.  The verdict of the jury, at the coroner's inquest held yesterday, was that the deceased came to his death from wounds inflicted by a pistol fired by Charles McCarthy.
This sad affair is the direct result of whiskey, and another terrible warning against the too free use of the vile stuff which fires men's brains, drives them to madness and impels them to deeds of violence and bloodshed from which they would recoil in deep horror if sober.
FINAL ARTICLE #3---Dem & Ldr August 23, 1865 p.1
The examination of McCarty for the murder of Michael Reynolds, was brought to a conclusion at a late hour yesterday afternoon resulting in the young man's acquittal. We understand that he left an order for the Paymaster to pay over a sum sufficient to remove an incumberance on the property of the deceased for the benefit of the widow.
LAST RITES-St. Mary's Church, Davenport, Iowa
#113-"In the year 1865 and on the 20th of August I performed the funeral rites over the remains of Michael Reynolds, aged 36 years." H. Cosgrove.