Scott Co, Iowa USGenWeb Project

Alfons Ludwig Hageboeck 

“From Vol. 2  History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Hageboeck, Haller, Ladehoff 

                Alfons Ludwig Hageboeck, dependent upon his own resources for his educational opportunities in advance of those offered by the public schools, has throughout his entire life had been actuated by a laudable ambition that has brought him success in a material way but also that broader culture which enriches life. Davenport has benefited not only by his intense and well directed activities in commercial industrial and professional circles, but also by his advocacy and support of the movements which promote intellectual and aesthetic culture, bringing into life the highest of art and literature. A native son of Davenport, Dr. Hageboeck was born on the 14th of March, 1867, and while spending his boyhood days in the home of his parents, Gustav and Anna Hageboeck, he enjoyed the educational advantages offered by the public schools but, unsatisfied with that, his laudable ambition in educational lines prompted him to work his way through the State University by teaching. He won his professional degree from that institution in 1889 but still ambitious for further training that would promote his efficiency in his efforts to alleviate human suffering and check the ravages of disease, he went abroad and spent two years in post-graduate work in Berlin, Vienna and Paris, at the same time acting as correspondent of the Philadelphia Medical News and doing other journalistic work.

                Upon his return to Davenport in 1891 he entered upon the practice of his profession, making a specialty, however, of surgery. During the years of his active practice he made six trips to Europe in the interests of his profession, gaining broad knowledge in visiting the leading clinics of the old world and in receiving instruction under some of the most eminent physicians and surgeons of London, Munich, Paris and Vienna. He has always kept in touch with the old-world masters of surgery and was recognized as one of the most skillful surgeons not only of Davenport but of Iowa and the entire middle west. His success along professional lines is the result of the penetration of his mind and the skill of his hands. He is cool, logical, unflinching and determined, but his dominant trait is his resourcefulness. He is a tireless worker and his devotion to his profession, combined with his zeal and ambition, led to his constant study of everything bearing upon this branch of scientific knowledge. He supplied his office with the latest equipment known to medical and surgical science and a contemporary biographer said of him: “His years of experience have not only added to his wisdom and his skill but have deepened his sympathies until his work of relieving suffering seems a religion rather than a business. Like all of the best men of his profession, he gives constantly of his efforts without expectation of compensation. He has the practical humanitarianism of the physician who loves his work and self-sacrifice has become an unconscious part of his life.” Dr. Hageboeck continued in active practice until 1907, when his own impaired health forced him to put aside the arduous duties of the profession. Since then he has spent over two years abroad but has recently returned to his native country and resumed active connection with various business interests, for  while widely known as a physician and surgeon, he is also a successful business man whose labors have constituted an important element in the commercial and industrial development of the city.

                Dr. Hageboeck has fostered various industrial enterprises becoming one of the leading manufacturers of the three cities. He was one of the founders and the first secretary and treasurer of the of the Davenport Locomotive Works, one of the most rapidly growing industries of the city, and at the present writing he is the vice president and in charge of the commercial management of the business. He was also president of the Newcomb Loom Company, the product of which is widely known; president of the Whitehead Company; and at present is president of the American Pneumatic Action Company; vice president of Andrews Chemical Company; and a director in various other enterprises. His real-estate interests in the city are large and include a number of residences, the Hageboeck flats and Hageboeck business block, and from his realty holdings he derives a substantial annual income.

                On the 23d of October, 1892, Dr. Hageboeck was married to Miss Ida Pauline Haller, a daughter of Louis and Margaret (Ladehoff) Haller. Their two children are Alfons Edward and William Peter. Dr. Hageboeck is connected with various fraternal and social organizations, while in more strictly medical lines he is connected with all the medical societies, has been president of the Scott County Medical Society and at one time was chairman of the State Medical Society. He belongs to the Contemporary, Golf, Automobile and Outing clubs, was one of the promoters of the Commercial Clubs, was one of the promoters of the Commercial Club and is affiliated with the Masons and the Elks. He is fond of golf and other manly outdoor sports and takes great delight in motoring. His business and private interests, however, have never excluded his active participation in affairs relative to the welfare of the city. He has the fine perception and sound judgment of a man of large affairs and his record is a matter of pride to Davenport, while his labors have been of the utmost value to the city. To his personal friends his chief charm lies in the breadth of his interests and in spite of his busy life he is a man of broad culture. A sincere lover of books, fluent in German and French, his library indicates the keenest discrimination in selection. He has for years taken great delight in the study of continental literature and he is also a patron of art whose knowledge thereof ranks him as a connoisseur. In his travels abroad he has come into contact with the best that the world has produced in the plastic as well as the painter’s art and a retentive memory makes him rich in the possession of those things which, once seen, can never be taken from us. In all of his life he has never been willing to choose the second best but has sought that advancement which brings us to the highest and, never self-centered, his life closely touches the general interests of society and its influence has ever been along the lines of progress and improvement.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

John H. Stouffer  

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Stouffer, Hill, Kohl, Hinz 

                John H. Stouffer has gained a creditable place in financial circles, serving at the present time as the cashier of the Walcott Savings Bank, and is also closely identified with the business and political interests of the community. He was born in Muscatine county, Iowa, on the 3d of February, 1867, and is a son of John and Caroline (Hill) Stouffer, natives of Pennsylvania. They came to Iowa at an early date and continued to make their home in Muscatine county until the father’s death, when the mother removed to Moline, Illinois, and  later came to Walcott.

                John H. Stouffer was reared at home and acquired his early education in the public schools of Moline and Walcott, while later he pursued a course of study at Duncan’s Business college in Davenport. Thus well equipped for the practical and responsible duties of business life, he started out to earn his own livelihood as bookkeeper in the employ o the Stockdale & Dietz Company. He remained with that firm until 1899, in which year he was elected cashier of the Walcott Savings Bank, continuing in this capacity to the present time. The bank was organized in 1893 with a capital of thirty thousand dollars, H. C. Kohl being appointed its first cashier. Since his connection with the institution its business has so increased that on May 1, 1908, its capital was extended to sixty thousand dollars, its deposits amounting to eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars. The policy of the house is safe and conservative and under its present efficient management has become one of the sound and substantial financial institutions of the county, its patronage being large and of an important character. Mr. Stouffer’s ability accuracy and fidelity have constituted him an excellent official and his uniform courtesy and prompt attention to all who business with the bank have made him very popular. Although he is deeply interested in the affairs of the bank with which he is connected and is ever faithful in the performance of his duties, nevertheless he has had time to direct his attention into other channels and has become identified with the fire insurance business, being agent in Walcott for several large insurance companies. He has been very successful in this enterprise and in the conduct of his affairs typifies the progressive spirit of the times, his diligence and labor constituting him a representative factor in the business life of the town.

                On the 5th of September, 1894, in Walcott, Mr. Stouffer was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Hinz, a daughter of Louis Hinz, the vice president of the Walcott Savings Bank, and unto this union have been born three children, namely: Lloyd H., Verona N. and Elmore J. Mr. Stouffer is well known and prominent in fraternal circles, being a member of Walcott Lodge, No. 312, K. P.; Modern Brotherhood of America; and Walcott Lodge, No. 6, Highland Nobles. He has become well and favorably known in this county as a man of sterling character and worth, for in business he has made an unassailable reputation and in private life has gained that warm personal regard which arises from the possession of those traits which in every land and clime command confidence and admiration. 

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

lorenzen.jpg (98475 bytes)Jens Lorenzen  

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

 Surnames: Lorenzen, Priester, Berger, Rusch, Brandt, Dueser, 

                While Jens Lorenzen came to be recognized as one of the foremost representatives of commercial and financial interests in Davenport there were also certain other qualities which gained him a firm hold upon the regard of his fellow townsmen. A genial and sympathetic nature caused him to make friends with all and his life was therefore, the exposition of the Emersonian philosophy that “the way to win a friend is to be one.” So widely and favorably was he known that his history cannot fail to prove of general interest and, moreover, his life work constitutes an important chapter in the business development of Davenport.

                Mr. Lorenzen was born in Luegumkloster, Schleswig, Germany, April 6, 1833. His early schooling gave him a splendid business education and actuated by the spirit of ambition and energy, he sought the opportunities of the new world when twenty-one years of age, crossing the Atlantic with a large party of his fellow countrymen. Landing at New Orleans, he made his way to Chicago, where he engaged in business for a time, but in 1856 arrived in Davenport. He was thenceforth until his death connected with the commercial interests of the city, extending the scope of his interests proportionately with the growth and development of this part of the state. His initial step in business circles here was made in 1857 as proprietor of a little porcelain, glass and stoneware store, his stock of goods being placed upon display in a frame building on Harrison above Second street. From that humble start he developed a mammoth enterprise which had become a very profitable concern long before he turned it over to his successors in the later years of his life. It passed through the financial crisis of 1857 and, although not all days were equally bright and at times the storm clouds seemed to gather, he nevertheless held to his purpose with a firm and steady hand and his keen business insight, together with his well known honesty and honorable methods, soon won for him the respect and confidence of the entire community. He place of business, therefore, became a popular shopping center and each year witnessed an increase in the volume of trade. He was soon obliged to seek larger quarters and removed to the corner of Third and Harrison streets. Even here the building which he occupied was found to be too small owing to the rapid and substantial growth of the business, and in 1860 he removed to 217 Harrison street. In 1871 Mr. Lorenzen replaced the old building with the present modern block at 223 West Third street, to which he added the corner in 1890. He also owned the property to the south. The business was at length reorganized under the name of the Jens Lorenzen Crockery Company and so continued until 1907, when Mr. Lorenzen retired, disposing of his interests to the present owners. He, however, retained the ownership of the building. As his financial resources increased he extended his efforts to other fields and became one of the organizers and a member of the first board of directors of the German Savings Bank, of which he was president from 1901 to 1906. He was also one of the founders of the Security Fire Insurance Company, of which he was a director and for nine years vice president. He was also a director of the Davenport Water Company and one of the founders and first president of the Mutual Insurance Company. For over forty years he was a director of the Citizens Bank and vice president form 1900-1906. Whatever he undertook seemed to prosper under his careful guidance. His success, however, was not due to any fortunate combination of circumstances but to the sound judgment which he displayed. He had the ability to combine seemingly diverse interests into a harmonious whole and, watchful of every detail, at the same time he recognized the more salient features of the business and gave to them their due relative importance.

                Mr. Lorenzen was the possessor of those qualities that render the individual a favorite with his fellows and was popular in the Davenport Turngemeinde, the Davenport Shooting Association, owners of Schuetzen park. He also belonged to the German-American Pioneers Association. For thirty years he served as treasurer of the school district. One of the local papers said of him: “Mr. Lorenzen was looked upon by those who knew him best as the ideal American citizen. Broad minded, liberal, sincere, honest, progressive, he at all times stood squarely upon these principles. In his death Davenport loses one who has done much to further its growth and development. He will also be greatly missed in the community at large for all those who have met him either socially or through business channels have learned to regard him as their friend.

                Mr. Lorenzen was twice married, his first wife being Laura Priester, by whom he had two children, Mrs. Elise Berger and Theodore. He was married April 15, 1868 to Agnes, a stepdaughter of Lieutenant Governor Rusch, and their children were: Mrs. Martha Brandt, Mrs. Elsie Dueser, Marie, Laura, Herle, Hilda and Paul.

                To his family the death of Mr. Lorenzen came as an almost insupportable blow. He passed away at the family home at No. 629 West Sixth street, October 10, 1909, when he reached the age of seventy-six years. For more than a half century he had been an honored and respected resident of Davenport and all with whom he came in contact enjoyed his courtesy, his geniality and his kindly spirit, but his best traits of character were reserved for his own home and fireside. He is spoken of in terms of highest regard by all who knew him and considering the various attributes of his character no more fitting epitaph for him could be written than this:               

“His life was gentle and the elements

So mixed in him that nature might stand up

And say to all the world ‘This was a man.’”

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

ronge.jpg (79935 bytes)Henry E. Ronge  

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Ronge, Ruge, Kuehl, Wells, Hess 

                Henry E. Ronge, county superintendent of schools of Scott county, was born in Davenport, March 9, 1860, a son of Charles F. C. and Elizabeth Katherine (Ruge) Ronge, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father was born in July, 1828, and came from Mecklenburg to the new world in 1857. Establishing his home in Davenport, he was numbered among the worthy citizens here and was accounted an influential man among those of is own nationality. His death occurred in the year 1899. The family numbered four children, of whom Henry is the eldest. The others are: Mrs. Emma Kuehl, who was formerly a teacher in the public schools of this city; Edward C.; and Lizzie, who was at one time a public-school teacher and died in 1896 at the age of twenty-one years.

                Henry E. Ronge completed the public-school course by graduation from the high school with the class of 1878. He also received instruction in the Iowa State University through the summer terms and thus qualified for teaching. He took up that profession in 1878 and was connected with the rural schools of Butler township until 1892. In that year he became principal of the schools of Buffalo and was afterward principal of the schools of Pleasant Valley and Walcott. Early in the year 1909 he abandoned the profession of teaching, however, and went upon the road for the Davenport Roofing Company but on the death of the county superintendent of schools, W. D. Wells, Mr. Ronge was offered the appointment to fill out the unexpired term and accepted, as the work was congenial and offered to him a good field in which to do valuable service for the interests of public education. He is well fitted for the position and already there have been heard many favorable comments concerning the work that he has done in connection with the office.

                Professor Ronge spent two years in business in Florida as his health was poor. He found the southern clime beneficial and returned much improved. He was married in 1906 to Miss Mary M. Hess, a native of Davenport, and in this city they have many warm friends in the more intelligent and cultured social circles. Professor Ronge is a charter member of the Knights of Pythias lodge and is also a member of Fraternal Lodge, 221, A. F. & A. M. He has directed his efforts in those lines of life demanding strong intellectuality and offering an unlimited field for advancement, and with high ideals he has done good work for the benefit of the public schools.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Hiram Price 

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Price 

                Hiram Price was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, January 10, 1810. He worked on his father’s farm in boyhood, attending school during the winter months. He was a great reader, borrowing books of neighbors and thus acquiring an education. In 1844 he removed to Iowa, locating in Davenport, where he opened a store. In 1847 he was chosen school fund commissioner and a year later was elected recorder and treasurer of Scott county, holding the position eight years. Mr. Price was a radical advocate of temperance and was one of the founders of the order of “The Sons of Temperance.” He was one of the framers of the first bill for the prohibition of the liquor traffic in the state, which was enacted into law by the fifth general assembly in 1854. He was the editor of the Temperance Organ, a state paper devoted to prohibition. He had been a democrat in politics up to the time of the attempt to force slavery into Kansas, when he left that party and was one of the organizers and founders of the republican party of Iowa. Upon the enactment of the state bank law Mr. Price was one of the organizers of the Davenport branch and was the second president of the state bank officers.

                When the war of the Rebellion began he assisted in raising the money to enable Governor Kirkwood to equip the first two Iowa regiments. He was the first paymaster of Iowa troops and was untiring in his support and assistance to the governor in raising men and money to meet the calls of the president. In 1862 he was elected by the republicans of the second district to congress and for six years was one of the ablest members of the house. He was an earnest advocate of the most energetic war measures and of legislation to strengthen the credit of the government.

                Mr. Price was one of the founders of the Soldiers Orphans Home. In 1876 he was again elected to congress and served until 1880. In 1881 he was appointed by the president commissioner of Indian affairs, in which position he served with distinguished ability for four years. He made many reforms where abuses had grown up in dealing with the Indians. He was one of the pioneers in railroad building in Iowa. In 1853, when the first railroad was being built from Chicago toward Iowa, Mr. Price was chosen to traverse the counties on the projected line through the state to the Missouri river to create an interest among the people and towns. In 1869 when a railroad was projected from Davenport in a northwesterly direction Hiram Price was elected president of the company which constructed the road. One of his last public acts before removing to Washington was to endow a free reading room in the public library of Davenport, his old home. He was a life-long and prominent member of the Methodist church. He died in Washington, D. C., May 30, 1901.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Charles Lawrence Barewald, M. D.  

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Barewald, Wiese, 

                Prominent among the physicians and surgeons of Davenport and this section is Dr. Charles Lawrence Barewald, one of Iowa’s native sons, his birth having occurred in Muscatine county on the 9th of September, 1869. Of German parentage, he is a son of Frederick and Matilda (Wiese) Barewald, both natives of the fatherland. The father came to the United States when about thirty years of age, locating in Muscatine county, Iowa, where he engaged in the harness business until his death, which occurred in 1872. The parents were married in the United States, and, appreciating the opportunities offered in this country for their children, inculcated lessons of honesty, sobriety and patriotism which have borne excellent fruit.

                Reared in the county of his nativity, at the usual age Dr. C. L. Barewald became a pupil in the public schools and, continuing through consecutive grades, completed his preliminary training by graduation from the high school at Wilton Junction, Iowa, and later received his B. S. degree at the Norton Normal and Scientific Academy at that place. He then entered the medical department of the University of Iowa, graduating therefrom in 1891, and immediately thereafter opened an office for practice in Muscatine, where he remained for two years, after which he came to Scott county, locating in Buffalo in 1893. Ten years were there devoted to the general practice of medicine, at the expiration of which time he came to Davenport in order that he might be in constant touch with his duties as county physician, to which office he had been elected on the 1st of January, 1904. In that official capacity he had charge of the regular medical work of the county hospital and the emergency work of the jail and police station. These duties were at all times faithfully performed and with credit to his skill and humanity. In the meantime he had become well known as a most capable and proficient physician and surgeon, and when, after serving in the capacity of county physician for three and a half years, he returned to his private practice he was accorded a liberal patronage which has continued to grow in extent and importance. From the first he has been highly successful, impressing all with whom he has come in contact with his trustworthy character, his earnestness, zeal and scrupulous regard for the ethics of his profession. He has proven himself skillful in diagnosis, sure in prescription, thoughtful and tactful in attendance and prompt and efficacious in emergency. He has not only sought to extend his knowledge and efficiency by continued study and research, but keeps in touch with the advance made in the medical world through his membership in the Scott County and State Medical Associations.

                In March, 1893, Dr. Barewald was united in marriage to Miss Grace Urban, a native of Chicago and a lady of excellent traits of character, who occupies a high place in social circles in Davenport. Although a large private practice demands his time and talents, leaving little opportunity for the amenities of life, Dr. Barewald nevertheless finds time to keep up his interest in things municipal and social, and holds membership in Wilton Lodge, No. 167, A. F. & A. M., while he also belongs to the Knights of Pythias fraternity and other societies. Early in life he became interested in the politics of the country and, forming his own opinions and rules of conduct, has given stalwart allegiance to the principles of the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. Public-spirited and loyal in his citizenship, he has ever been a worker for the best interests of Davenport and Scott county along both professional and civic lines, and his adopted city has profited by his efforts in her behalf and accords him a place of prominence in the forefront of her valued and representative citizens.

Albert Werner  

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Werner, Malling, Moeller, Reissen 

                Albert Werner, the well known and capable postmaster of Walcott, who for many years was closely identified with the business interests of this town, is numbered among the residents of Scott county who claim Germany as the place of their nativity, his birth occurring in Pommern in 1853. His parents were Frederick and Caroline (Malling) Werner, who were also natives of Germany. The father, who was born in Pommern in 1813, was a soldier in the German army prior to his leaving the fatherland, and in 1862 came to America, landing at New York. He arrived here while the country was in the midst of civil war and at once took up the cause of the Union, organizing a company in New York. He went to the front as its captain and did valiant duty until the time of his death, it being supposed he was killed at the battle of Gettysburg.

                Reared and educated in his native country, Albert Werner came to America when twenty years of age and made his way direct to Iowa, arriving in Walcott in 1873. For about seventeen years he was here engaged in the blacksmith’s trade, at the expiration of which period he became identified with industrial pursuits, dealing in implements of all kinds, buggies and furniture. In addition to this he also conducted a plumbing enterprise and both branches of his business proved most profitable. Industry, excellent executive ability and careful management were salient elements in his business career and he won a most gratifying measure of success, his business steadily increasing in volume and importance with the passing of the years. In 1891, however, he was appointed postmaster of Walcott and he withdrew from business life in order to take up the duties of his new position. He has since remained in that office, proving a most excellent official, his record ever being such as has not only brought honor to himself but has reflected credit upon his constituents. He is known in financial circles as a director in the Walcott Savings Bank and is the owner of a farm in Cleona township and also a quarter section in North Dakota, all of his various interests proving a source of most gratifying remuneration which has placed him among the substantial and prosperous citizens of the community.

                It was in 1877 that Mr. Werner was united in marriage to Miss Anna Moeller, a daughter of Gotthard Moeller, a farmer residing in Cleona township. Unto this union have been born two children: Alma, still at home; and Ernest, who married Anna Riessen, of Walcott. Fraternally Mr. Werner is a member of lodge No. 316, K. P., of Walcott, and in politics he is a stalwart republican. Prior to his appointment as postmaster he served as a member of the city council and for two terms was also a school director, the cause of education finding in him a warm champion. Preeminently a public-spirited citizen, although born across the water he is as closely identified with the interests of this country as the native born American, and he is not only a credit to the land of his nativity but also to the land of his adoption. In business he combined his sturdy native talents with the more American spirit of progress and the result was a very successful career. In public office he has been true to every trust reposed in him and efficient, conscientious and faithful in the discharge of his duties, so that he ranks today among Walcott’s most representative and valued citizens. 

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Asmus Wolf

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Wolf, Buck, Petersen, Miller, Carsens, Henry, Litsher, Priest, Mottis, Rohlf, Rohde 

                Asmus Wolf, a veteran of the Civil war, is a retired agriculturist of Davenport and still owns three hundred acres of fine farming land in Butler township. His birth occurred in Holstein, Germany, on the 20th of September, 1839, his parents being Andes and Elizabeth Wolf. The father followed farming in that country. Asmus Wolf obtained his education in the schools of his native land and after putting aside his text-books acquainted himself with the butchering business. In 1861, when a young man of twenty-two years, he crossed the ocean to the United States, landing at New York, whence he came direct to Davenport, Iowa.

                After working as a farm hand for six months he enlisted for service in the Union army,  joining Company B, Sixteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, at Davenport on the 2d of November, 1861. With that regiment he went to St. Louis, where he remained for about a week and subsequently participated in the battle of Shiloh, where he was slightly injured by a ball. The regiment next went to Corinth, Mississippi, where they expected another battle but the rebels had left during the night. They remained in that vicinity about six months, marching to different places, and then took part in the two days’ battle at Corinth. Afterward they went to Memphis, Tennessee, and there boarded a steamer for Vicksburg, participating in the engagement at that place. Subsequently Mr. Wolf reenlisted in Company B for three years’ service and went to Meridian, Mississippi, where on the 7th of February, 1864, he was taken prisoner while foraging in company with three other men. They were sent to the Cahaba prison in Alabama, where they were incarcerated for two months, on the expiration of which period they were taken to Andersonville and there imprisoned for five months, enduring many and severe hardships. For twenty-three days they were compelled to sleep on the bare ground. From Andersonville they were removed to Charleston, South Carolina, where they were kept in the jail yard and also in a stockade at the fair grounds for a time. They were then sent to Florence, North Carolina, and their lot was no better there than it had been at Andersonville, but Mr. Wolf finally escaped the enemy by pretending illness and went back to Charleston, where he took a boat for Baltimore, Maryland. Obtaining a three months’ furlough, he returned to Davenport and when his leave of absence had expired rejoined his regiment, but hostilities were brought to a close about that time and he was mustered out on the 19th of July, 1865. His military record is one of which he has every reason to be proud, for he proved a valiant and faithful soldier, never faltering in the performance of any task assigned him.

                Soon after returning from the war Mr. Wolf was married and for about a year he worked in the vicinity of Davenport. He then bought eighty acres of land in Butler township, where he made his home for two years, at the end of which time he disposed of the property and purchased another farm of one hundred and forty acres in Butler township, residing thereon from 1871 until 1898. In that year he put aside the active work of the fields and took up his abode in Davenport, where he has since lived retired in the enjoyment of well earned rest. As his financial resources increased he bought more land from time to time and he yet owns three hundred acres in Butler township. His agricultural interests were carefully managed and he has long been numbered among the substantial and respected citizens of the county.

                Mr. Wolf has been married twice. On the 26th of August, 1865, he wedded Miss Kathrina Buck, a daughter of Jergen and Kathrina Buck. This union was blessed with six children. Alvina, the eldest, married Christ Petersen, of Davenport, and became the mother of seven children, namely; Lulu; Arthur; Engeba, who is deceased, Walter; Asmus; Viola; and LeRoy. Ferd, who is now deceased, wedded Miss Alvina Miller, by whom he had four children: Delma, Ruman, Howard and Lulu. Theresa, who gave her hand in marriage to Herman Carsens, of Davenport, now has seven children, as follows: Willus, Max, Hilda, Ferd, Thekla, Paul and Erma. Amanda, the wife of John Henry, of McCausland, Butler township, is also the mother of seven children, namely: Blanche, Alonzo, Ruth, Margaret, John, Benjamin and an infant. Ernest, living at Long Grove, wedded Miss Anna Litsher, by whom he has two children, Inez and Bernard. Thomas is a resident of Butler township. Mr. Kathrina Wolf, whose birth had occurred in Germany on the 9th of October, 1848, was called to her final rest on the 3d of August, 1898, and lies buried in Butler township. On the 4th of April, 1900, Mr. Wolf was again married, his second union being with Pauline Priest, who was born in 1852. Her parents, Hans H. and Kathrina (Mottis) Priest, came to this country from Germany in 1850 and took up their abode in Pleasant Valley township, Scott county, Iowa, where they built a rock house which is still standing. Hans H. Priest passed away in may, 1882, and his wife died the following August. They became the parents of six children, three of whom passed away in Germany. The others are as follows: Mary, who gave her hand in marriage to Godfrey Henry and is now deceased; Doris, the widow of Asmus Rohlf and Mrs. Wolf. The last named has also been married twice, her first husband being Herman Rohde, by whom she had four children: Richard and Herman, both of whom are residents of Davenport; and two who are deceased.

                Mr. Wolf gives his political allegiance to the men and measures of the republican party. While living in Butler township he served as road supervisor, township trustee and in other positions of public trust. He is a member of the United Veterans Union. Coming to the United States in early manhood, he made good use of the opportunities afforded in a land unhampered by caste or class and in his adopted county has steadily worked his way upward to a position of prominence. The period of his residence in Scott county now covers almost a half century and the favorable regard entertained for him by his fellow townsmen is proof that his life record has been an honorable one.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

J. H. C. Petersen  

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Petersen, Hansen, Luetje, Bush 

                Perhaps no man in Davenport has done more toward advancing the mercantile interests of the city than J. H. C. Petersen, who has now retired from active life and lives in the enjoyment of well earned rest at No. 510 West Sixth street. He was born in Germany and as a young man crossed the Atlantic in 1860, determined to prove the truth of the reports which he heard concerning the opportunities of the new world and hoping that he might secure advantages which would lead to substantial progress in business lines. He came direct to Scott county and his limited financial resources made it imperative that he secure immediate employment. For a year, therefore, he worked as a farm hand but regarded this only as an initial step to broader and more important labor. In 1862 he turned his attention to merchandising and in that field continued for a long period, his labors being attended with a most gratifying measure of success. The beginning was a humble one and for a few years he was associated with a partner, to whom he later sold his interest. In the meantime the business had been substantially developed and his experience had brought him valuable knowledge concerning the best methods of conducting mercantile interests. In 1872 he established business independently, being then located at No. 219 Second street. The growth of his trade enabled him later to include No. 220 Second street as a part of his store and still later he utilized the building at No. 217-217 ½ Second street. His operations embraced many fields of activity. No potential demand of his patrons was unnoticed and while his own enterprise grew in size it was also advancing mercantile progress throughout Davenport. In time it became one of the foremost mercantile establishments of the city and largely set the standard for activity in his especial field. He is recognized as one who has contributed much toward the city’s financial prosperity and commercial interests and up to the time of his retirement was regarded as one of the most prominent and honored merchants here.

                In 1844 Mr. Petersen wedded Miss Johanna Elsbeth Hansen. They became the parents of ten children, five of whom are deceased. The living are: M. D., W. D., Johanna Fridericke Luetje; H. F. and Marie Bush. The mother died in 1892 but the father still survives and is now eighty-nine years of age. He enjoys good health for one of his years and feels that life has given much to him in pleasure and success. When he came to this section of the state Davenport was a small town and he has watched with interest and satisfaction its growth and development and is numbered among those who have contributed to its progress and improvement.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Jurgen Kahler  

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Kahler, Mildenstein, Brogen, Simpson, Herman, Bockwoldt, Kraft, Ruhser 

                Jurgen Kahler is numbered among the representative American citizens who claim Germany as the place of their nativity and who in this country sought and found opportunities for advancement in business lines. Born on the island of Fehmarn, Schleswig-Holstein, on the 11th of November, 1857, he is a son of Hans J. and Katharine (Mildenstein) Kahler, the former a laborer by occupation. The parents are both now deceased, their entire lives having been spent in the old country. In their family were six children, namely: Henry; Nicholas, deceased; Mrs. Dorothy Brogen, of Nebraska; Martha, who wedded P. H. Simpson, a resident of Kansas; Jurgen, of this review; and Hans, of Kansas. The entire family with the exception of the parents emigrated to America, the eldest son, Henry, being the first to come to the new world. He arrived in the United States in 1866 and came to Iowa, residing in Davenport for some time.

                Jurgen Kahler was reared in the place of his nativity, obtained his education in the common schools near his home and remained a resident of the fatherland until after his marriage. In 1883, however, thinking to find in the advantages offered by the new world better opportunity for advancement in business lines, he left home and country and crossed the Atlantic to America, making his way at once to Iowa. He was accompanied by his wife and two children, the family home being first established in Durant. There he worked as a laborer for about six years and then became identified with agricultural pursuits in the capacity of renter, being thus engaged for twelve years. Throughout that period, however, he had been imbued with the desire to some day carry an independent enterprise in which his efforts might more directly benefit himself, and so, when he had accumulated sufficient capital to justify such a step, he purchased the farm upon which he now resides, to the development of which he has since directed his energies. He owns the entire southwest quarter of section 19, Cleona township, with the exception of the right of way granted to the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Company. Through his industry and perseverance it has been brought under a high state of cultivation and under his wise and careful management has become one of the well improved farming properties of the township. Most of the buildings which stand upon the place were erected by him and include an attractive modern residence and substantial and commodious barns and outbuildings, all in excellent condition. He is engaged in general farming and stock-raising and both branches of his business are proving gratifying sources of remuneration, for he is up-to-date and progressive in his methods and manifests good business ability and wise judgment in the conduct of his affairs.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project



Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Celtic Cousins A Little Bit of Ireland The Irish in Iowa Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles Other Family Ties