Scott Co, Iowa USGenWeb Project

Mrs. Maria Schmidt Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Schmidt, Brandt, Weiss, Petersen, Deher, 

                Among Davenport’s prominent citizens must be numbered Mrs. Maria Schmidt, who represents one of the oldest and best known German families in the city, and in fact throughout Scott county. She was born in Germany, December 30, 1847, her parents being Frederick and Elsie (Brandt) Weiss, the former of whom was the proprietor of a paint shop in that country. In 1850 Mr. Weiss brought his family to America, landing at New Orleans and making the rest of the journey to Davenport up the broad waters of the Mississippi. As soon as possible he established himself in his old business, his location being upon Second street, and he continued thus actively engaged until January 21, 1879, when he passed away, his wife having preceded him in 1853. They were the parents of three children. Katherine is the widow of Theodore Petersen and makes her home in Davenport. Henry, the third in order of birth, met his death while hunting in Scott county, May 17, 1867.

                Mrs. Schmidt received her education in the Davenport schools and grew to womanhood here. When about twenty-six years of age she went to California and it was while in the west that her marriage took place. The man to whom she gave her hand was Carl Theodore Marx Schmidt, their union being celebrated September 20, 1883, at Paradise Valley, Humboldt county, Nevada. Mr. Schmidt was a native of Germany, born in Mecklenburg, August 31, 1844, and he came to the United States after having served the usual time in the German army. After some experience as a sailor, he went to California in 1865 and for twenty years was employed in the gold and silver mines of California and Nevada.

                Mr. And Mrs. Schmidt continued to reside in the far west for a number of years after their marriage, but in October, 1892, they located in Davenport and for about five years he had charge of the Davenport outing Club. He subsequently had charge of various buildings in the city, among them being the Petersen. Mr. Schmidt was Lutheran in faith and fraternally was identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He died May 18, 1903, and was interred in Fairmont cemetery.

                Mrs. Schmidt is the mother of two children. The elder, Carl F., was born in 1884 and is now a prominent plumber, his business being located at the corner of Twenty-Second and Brown streets. He was united in marriage to Miss Anna Deher, and they have a daughter, Louise Marie. The younger son, Theodore George, was born February 5, 1888, and lives at home. The brothers are well known and popular members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to Davenport Lodge, No. 7. Not only is Mrs. Schmidt a valuable member of society, but she has accomplished the even finer service of motherhood and has reared her sons to good citizenship.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Walter M. Balluff Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Balluff, Cook, Dodge 

                Among the younger representatives of Davenport’s legal fraternity is numbered Walter M. Balluff, who, however, in the years of his connection with the bar in this city has made substantial progress, augmenting his ability by thorough study and research, and working his way upward by merit. He was born in Scott county, September 18, 1880, a son of August A. and Josephine E. Balluff, the former a native of this county and the latter of Muscatine county, Iowa.       

                Spending his boyhood days under the parental roof, Walter M. Balluff pursued his education in the public schools of Davenport, continuing his studies through consecutive grades until he was graduated from the high school with the class of 1899. Reflection concerning the business world and the various opportunities therein offered along many lines of industrial, commercial and professional activities, led him to the determination to make the practice of law his life work and to this end he entered the office of Cook & Dodge, with whom he remained as assistant until 1906, when he was admitted to the firm. Since the 1st of June, 1909, the firm has been Cook & Balluff. In no profession does advancement depend more largely upon individual merit and with the realization of the fact that his labor must constitute the foundation upon which to build success, he devotes himself with great earnestness to the preparation of his cases and in their presentation leaves no point undefended that he can fortify by the citation of precedent or law principle.

                Mr. Balluff in his political allegiance is a democrat, and his social relations are with the Elks and the Knights of Columbus.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

William I. Vanderveer, M. D. Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Vanderveer, Aikens, Jakeman 

                Dr. William I. Vanderveer, a well known and efficient practitioner of Blue Grass, also figures prominently in the financial circles of the city as president of the Blue Grass Savings Bank, in which position he has been incumbent since its inception. His birth occurred in Rock Island county, Illinois, on the 11th of July, 1859, his parents being John and Delilah (Aikens) Vanderveer, both natives of Darke county, Ohio, where the former was born in 1823 and the latter in 1824. They came west to Rock Island county, Illinois, some time during the ‘50s, locating on a farm where they made their home during the remainder of their lives.

                In the district schools of his native county Dr. Vanderveer acquired a good knowledge of the various branches of English learning and during the periods of vacation assisted his father in the work of the home farm. Occasionally he was employed in a store at Andalusia, Illinois, and later benefited by study at the Iowa State University, attending that institution during the school year of 1891-92. The following year he went to St. Louis and entered the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri, from which he was graduated on the 23d of March, 1893. His father had passed away in November, 1892, and therefore, upon leaving school, he returned home to care for his mother. In the fall of 1894, however, he came to Blue Grass, where he opened an office for the practice of his profession and has been thus engaged to the present time. He is naturally well fitted for his chosen life work, possessing those traits of personality so necessary to the successful physician, while his training has been thorough and comprehensive, and he is ever extending his knowledge by broad reading, research and experience. He keeps in close touch with what is going on in the medical world and is thorough and faithful in the discharge of his professional duties, fully realizing the obligations and responsibilities that rest upon him in his chosen calling.

                Although Dr. Vanderveer gives the greater portion of his attention to his profession, nevertheless he has found time to devote to other lines of activity and was the prime mover in the organization of the Blue Grass Savings Bank, being elected its first president in 1901. He has since continued in that office, in which capacity he has manifested excellent administrative ability and executive control. The safe conservative policy which he has inaugurated commends itself to the judgment of all and has secured to the bank with which he is connected a very extensive and representative patronage and has placed it among the reliable moneyed institutions of the community.

                It was in 1895 that Dr. Vanderveer was united in marriage to Miss Agnes Jakeman a daughter of Frank Jakeman, of Blue Grass township, and unto this union has been born one son, Raymond, whose birth occurred on the 21st of November, 1901. Mrs. Vanderveer is a member of the Presbyterian church and a most estimable lady, being held in high regard and esteem throughout the community.

                The Doctor gives his political allegiance to the republican party in all national matters, but where local issues are at stake casts his ballot in behalf of the best man regardless of party ties. He has never been an aspirant for public office, preferring to devote himself entirely to the conduct of business and the performance of professional duties, with the result that today he stands high in the financial and medical circles of the county, his success being due entirely to his own unaided efforts and well directed energies.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

brusch.jpg (108818 bytes)Diedrich Busch Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Busch, Balcke 

                Investigation into the history of Davenport indicates that the Teutonic race has constituted an important element in her citizenship and among the prominent representatives of the fatherland was Diedrich Busch, whose life of well directed labor and honesty in all business connections won him the unqualified respect and confidence of his fellowmen. He was born in Hamminkeln, Desseldorf, Prussia, February 1, 1827, and was reared in a household where the parents realized that the best thing they could give their children was a knowledge of the value of industry, perseverance and economy. He was therefore taught to work when a member of his father’s household and was apprenticed to the shoemaker’s trade, which he followed during the greater part of his active life. He learned the trade well, closely applied himself to the conduct of the business, and in turn it rendered him independent of labor in his later years. The business opportunities of the fatherland did not appeal to his ambitious nature for he believed that better advantages could be found on this side the Atlantic, and therefore in 1853 he made arrangements to seek a home in America, landing at New York on the 3d of July. Soon afterward he made his way westward to Davenport and later returned to Germany in order to bring his parents to the new world, for whom he carefully provided throughout the remainder of their days. He again visited his native land in 1873.

                Mr. Busch was married in this country in early manhood but his first wife died over forty-six years ago, leaving a daughter, Louise, who died at the age of twenty-two years. She was an accomplished artist, who painted largely in oil. Following the demise of his first wife, Mr. Busch wedded Miss Emma Balcke, on the 19th of January, 1866. She is a daughter of the Rev. Henry Balcke, at one time a prominent minister of the German Methodist Episcopal church. In his alter years he retired from the work of the ministry and for a long period made his home with Mrs. Busch, passing away at the venerable age of eighty-eight years.

                In 1883 Mr. Busch retired from active life, giving up all business interests aside from those necessary for the management of his property. He had invested quite extensively in East Davenport real estate through the days of his early residence here and had engaged largely in the building of residences and stores. In this and other ways he assisted materially in work which promoted the development of that section of the city. His own home was a fine residence on Eddy street which he erected and which is still occupied by Mrs. Busch. She is an active member of the German Methodist Episcopal church.

                Mr. Busch was a kind-hearted, liberal man and his attitude toward the public was that of a benefactor for his labors were an effective element in promoting many interests that largely benefited the city. His history, too, is an indication of what can be accomplished when one has the will to dare and to do. He recognized the fact that in America labor is king and, bending his energies toward the task of earning a living and providing for a future, he at length became possessed of a handsome competence that enabled him at his death to leave his widow in comfortable, financial circumstances. He passed away on the 13th of September, 1893.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Mrs. Kathryn Diedrich Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Diedrich, Dettmer, Klaus, Kloppenburg, Goodwin, Lohrmann, Hopson               

                For fifteen years Mrs. Kathryn Diedrich operated a large tract of fine, arable land in Sheridan township, continuing the work begun by her husband, the late Frederick Diedrich. She was born in Propster, Holstein, Germany, November 6, 1840. Her parents, Peter and Margaret Dettmer, were also natives of the fatherland and spent all their lives in the old country. A son, Peter Dettmer, and Mrs. Diedrich, however, came to the United States in 1864. They landed in New York and shortly afterward came to Scott county, Iowa, for they had an uncle living in Davenport. On the 22d of February, 1866, she gave her hand in marriage to Frederick Diedrich, who, like herself was a native of Germany. He had, however, been a resident of Scott county, for a much longer time, for he had come with his parents, Frederick and Wilhelmina Diedrich, in early manhood. They were among the early German settlers of this county, and after their arrival here bought the one hundred and sixty acres of land on which Mrs. Diedrich lived after her marriage.

                This farm was the home of Frederick Diederick throughout the greater part of his life. He assisted his father in tilling its soil and later assumed the full responsibilities of its operation. While not one of the largest in its vicinity, it was very productive, is well improved and especially adapted to general farming, which he pursued. His death occurred in 1895, when he was well advanced in years, for his natal day was March 20, 1837.

                Twelve children had been born to Mr. And Mrs. Diedrich. William has passed away. Minnie is the wife of Orval Goodwin, of Cass county, Iowa, and the children born to them are Etta and Eva deceased, Bert, Nettie, Ruby, Harvey and Leona. Henry, a resident of Davenport, wedded Miss Thressa Klaus and they have two sons, Edward and Lester. Emma became the wife of George Kloppenburg and they have three children, Mabel E., Clarence S. and Leroy V. Mollie is the wife of Paul Lohrmann of Watertown, Illinois, and they had six children—Viola; Anna; Katie; Raymond, deceased Bernice and Minnie. Mary became the wife of Willis Hopson of Illinois. Louis and Lillian are at home, and Anna, Frederick, Adolph and William have passed away. Mrs. Diedrich has sold her farm and now is staying with her daughter Mrs. Kloppenburg. In the many years that she managed the farm interests, she proved herself to be a woman of no inconsiderable business ability, able to conserve as well as improve the property entrusted to her hands.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Charles Becker Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Becker, Wahnelt, Martens 

                Charles Becker, who is engaged in the retail liquor business at the corner of Fourth and Harrison streets, is the last member of his branch of this old German family in America. He was born September 29, 1850, in Kraschen, Provinz Silesia Germany, and is a son of Carl and Anna Rosina (Wahnelt) Becker. His father, a commission merchant, was a self-made man and one who achieved prosperity and the confidence of his neighbors. He had a family of seven children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth.

                Charles Becker received his education in Germany’s excellent public schools and when eighteen years of age followed the example set by so many of his associates and came across the sea. He landed in New York and in a short time went to Detroit, where he secured a business footing in the cigar trade. Ten years later, in the spring of 1879, he came to Davenport and entered into business with his brother Gustav. This association was later dissolved and Mr. Becker removed to Sigourney, Iowa, where he engaged in the dry-goods business for three years and then returned to Davenport. He then secured a position as traveling salesman and was on the road for several years for a Davenport dry-goods house. Following this he and his brother undertook the management of the Turner Hall, which they conducted successfully for three years. They also managed the Burtis Opera House, which was Davenport largest theater up to the year 1896. The death of Gustav Becker occurred August 26, 1908. After his experience as a manager, Charles Becker enjoyed a short retirement and then went on the road again. For seven years he remained in the capacity of traveling man but abandoned this in 1903 to open up the retail liquor store which he has ever since carried on.

                On October 31, 1871, Mr. Becker was united in marriage to Christine Martens, and seven children have blessed this union: Bertha, who is employed as a dentist’s assistant; Amelia, at home; Charles, who died when eight years of age; Fritz, at home; Gustav, who died when two years of age; and Anna and Carl, at home. Mr. Becker has many friends and enjoys pleasant social affiliations as a Turner and an Elk.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Otto Porth Bio

 “From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Porth, Bassack, Suglers, Magiber, Brady, Smallifield 

                Otto Porth had had considerable experience as a farmer before he finally bought his place in Liberty township, on which he has lived for the past sixteen years. As he has gained large returns from its cultivation he has had no reason to regret the purchase of it. He was born near Coblenz, Germany, April 15, 1854, a son of Carl and Elizabeth (Bassack) Porth, both natives of Prussia, the father’s birth having occurred in the city of Berlin. In the fall of 1855 they came to America, settling first in Hampton, Illinois. They remained there for about five years and then came to Iowa, locating in Clinton county. There the father secured a section of land in Olive township, upon which he engaged in farming with such large profits that he was able to buy in addition three quarters of a section in Minnesota. Shortly before his death he retired from active life, taking up his residence in Davenport, which was his home during the remaining years allotted to him. He was twice married, having by his first wife, who was the mother of our subject, four children and by his second eight.

                Otto Porth, who was but a little over a year old when his parents came to this country and about six years old when his parents came to this country and about six years old when they removed to Iowa, has spent the greater part of his life in this state. His mother died when he was nine years of age., but he continued to live upon the homestead in Clinton county until he reached man’s estate. He went first to Davenport, where he secured work as a laborer for four years, and then removed to the northwest part of the state, where for one year he worked at his trade of a carpenter. He was not satisfied with the prospects there, however, and returned to Davenport. In that city he secured employment with an ice company during the summer and during the winter in the packing business of John Suglers. In this way three years were spent, at the end of which period he returned to the homestead in Clinton county, which he farmed for two years. He then returned to Scott county, becoming a tenant on a farm near Plainview, which he conducted for five years. While this experience was not wholly without profit he went to Cedar county and upon a tract of rented land two miles west of the village of New Liberty, engaged in farming for five years. Then, in 1893, he purchased the place which he now owns. It comprises one hundred and sixty acres on section 11, Liberty township. It is a rich and arable tract, well adapted to diversified farming which Mr. Porth pursues thereon. He has made a number of improvements upon the place, has brought the fertility of the soil to its highest productive power and as his industry is the measure of his success he is one of the prosperous farmers of his locality.

                In early manhood in 1879, Mr. Porth was united in marriage to Miss Ernestine Magiber, who was born in Holstein Germany, November 5, 1860. At the age of twelve she came to this country with her parents, Fred and Dora (Brady) Magiber, who settled in Davenport which remained their home until their death. Seven girls were born to them. Mr. And Mrs. Porth have had fifteen children: Adella, Alfred, Carl, Martha, Lizzie, Rudolph, Otto, Jr., Rosa, Bertha, Leo and Fred, and four who died in infancy. The eldest is the wife of John Smallifield, of South Dakota, which is also the residence of the third child, Carl.   

                By hard work Mr. Porth has proved his right to be numbered among the more prosperous farmers of Liberty township and, in as much as his good fortune is the result of his own efforts, there is no bitterness attached to it but, instead, he has the general approbation of those who have watched his progress.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

William F. Bowser, M. D. Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Bowser, Davidson, Moorhead 

                In no profession is there demanded a more thorough knowledge of scientific principles than that of medicine. The successful practitioner must also possess a kindly, sunny nature, physical endurance and a clear intellect. Possessing all these requisites, Dr. William F. Bowser has in the few years in which he has been located in Blue Grass built up a lucrative practice that is increasing as the months and years go by. He was born in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, May 21, 1873, a son of Frank S. and Anna (Davidson) Bowser, who were likewise natives of Armstrong county, the former born in 1843 and the latter in 1852. The father is at present postmaster at Buffalo, Iowa.

                Like the majority of men who enter professional circles, Dr. Bowser was reared to farm life. He began his education in the schools of his native county and being but a youth at the time the family located in Muscatine county, Iowa, he also attended school in the latter place, completing a four years’ course was graduated from that institution in 1898 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Having decided upon the practice of medicine as a life work, in 1898 he began teaching in the schools of Muscatine county that he might earn the necessary funds to enter a medical college. He was thus engaged until 1905, but in the meantime, in the fall of 1899, he entered the Iowa State University and also read medicine with several leading physicians at and near his home. He was graduated from the university in 1905 and shortly afterward, on the 30th of August of that year, began practice in Buffalo and Blue Grass, but since 1907 has confined his attention to his office in the latter village. He is meeting with merited success and his practice is increasing as time passes.

                Dr. Bowser was married November 14, 1906 to Miss Mary Lucinda Moorhead, a daughter of M. E. Moorhead, of Blue Grass township. The Doctor is a republican in his political views but the demands of his practice leave him little time for active participation in public affairs. He belongs to Banner Lodge, No. 16, Knights of Pythias to the Modern Brotherhood of America at Buffalo and to the Modern Woodman camp at Blue Grass, while in the line of his profession he is a member of the American Medical Association, the Iowa Sate Medical Association and the Scott County Medical Association. Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church at Blue Grass.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

mengel.jpg (104945 bytes)George Mengel Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Mengel, Maurer, Buettner 

                George Mengel, in early manhood recognizing the value of close application, unfaltering purpose and indefatigable energy, has utilized those qualities in the attainment of the responsible position which he now occupies in business circles—a position that has made him one of the successful business men of Davenport. He is today the president of the Tri-City Plate Ice and Cold Storage Company and has been identified with a number of other interests which have been factors in the city’s commercial growth.

                He was born in Schwabsburg, Germany, a country that for centuries through the emigration of its sons has planted the seeds of civilization in all parts of the world. His natal day was March 1, 1848. His parents were Jacob and Anna (Maurer) Mengel, the former a cooper by trade, who also controlled a vineyard and engaged in the cultivation of grapes for the purpose of winemaking. He was a man of prominence in his community, active in public affairs as well as in business life. He reared a large family and his five sons came to the new world while the five daughters remained in the fatherland.

                George Mengel was educated in the schools of Germany and came to the United States in 1865, when a young man of seventeen years. He first established his home in Terre Haute, Indiana, where he was connected with the brewing business. But the climate there did not agree with him and he went to Wisconsin and subsequently removed to Chicago, where he acted as superintendent of a malt house for about three years, but on the expiration of that period he went to Omaha, where he also spent three years. He next became a resident of fort Dodge, Iowa, where he remained for two years, and then came to Davenport, purchasing the Littig Brewery on West Fifth street and thus entering the business circles of this city. He conducted it until the consolidation of the brewing interests of davenport, after which he became vice president and general manager of the Davenport Malting & Brewing Company, continuing as the second executive officer until about three years ago. He was one of the prime movers of the consolidation of the brewing interests of Davenport and has stood as a leading representative of that branch of business in this city. After disposing of his interests in the Davenport Malting & Brewing company he organized the Tri-City Plate Ice 7 Cold Storage company, of which he has since been president. This has become one of the important industrial and commercial enterprises of Davenport, with an extensive patronage and a volume of business that places it among the leading trade concerns of the city. He was one of the originators of the Davenport Water Power Company, was one of the organizers of the Davenport Grain & Malting Company, and was one of the first directors of the Farmers & Mechanics Savings Bank.

                In 1869 Mr. Mengel was married to Miss Anna Buettner, a daughter of Gottlieb Buettner, who came from Prussia, Germany. Unto Mr. And Mrs. Mengel were born two children, George and Anna, but both are now deceased.

                Mr. Mengel gives his political support to the democratic party and keeps well informed on the questions of the day. He is a member of the Turner Society and an honorary member of the Schuetzen Verein Society. He is an Odd Fellow in his fraternal relations and is in hearty sympathy with the principles of the order. He also belongs to the German Relief Society and therein gives manifestation of his humanitarian principles which prompt him to go to the assistance of those in need and to extend a helping hand whenever the occasion demands. He has never regretted his determination to come to the new world for in this land of constantly widening opportunity, where effort is unhampered by caste or class, he has made steady progress until he has reached a gratifying place among the most successful business men of his adopted city.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Hugh Briceland Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Briceland, Leach, Emeis, Peters, Madden, Blythe, Parmell, Neil, Yokum 

                Hugh Briceland , a retired farmer living at 1923 Harrison street, is one of Davenport’s estimable citizens, a man who possesses hosts of friends and the confidence of all those with whom he comes in contact. He is a Scotchman by birth, having been born January 26, 1834, in the city of Glasgow, his parents being Hugh and Anna (Leach) Briceland. The father was a merchant, who played a prominent part in the life of the city where he made his home. Hugh Briceland as a lad did not enjoy good health and physicians advised a change of climate, suggesting America. The wisdom of their counsel has amply proved itself for he is living and enjoying health at an advanced age. He landed at New Orleans and came up the river to Davenport in 1846 in company with a friend, Davy hardy, who became prominent in this city. Mr. Briceland secured employment with the farmers near Davenport, at first gaining little remuneration from his board. By the exercise of thrift and the natural industry with which he was endowed, he made himself independent and later purchased a farm where by employing advanced methods of agriculture he gained a signal success. About twelve years ago he sold this property and went to Eldridge, where he lived for six years. About four years ago he came to Davenport which he had chosen for a permanent home and where he is now enjoying a well earned retirement, surrounded by family and friends.

                On October 21, 1862, Mr. Briceland was married to Anna Emeis, a daughter of Dr. August Julius and Charlotte (Peters) Emeis. Her father was a physician who came from Germany and was among the pioneer settlers of this county. Eight children were born to this marriage, namely: Mary, who married George M. madden and died leaving two children Bessie and Lottie; Lena, who is the wife of Edward Blythe and has two daughter, Carrie and Josie, the former now Mrs. O. Parmell, who has given three great-grandchildren to Mr. Briceland. Harry, who married Miss Nellie Neil and has four children, Neil B., Harold, Hugh and Jack; Ella and Fannie, both deceased; Hugo, who married Miss Alice Yokum: Frank G., a bookkeeper and real-estate man; and George w., a resident of Wichita, Kansas.

                Mr. Briceland has been honored by election to the presidency of the Pioneer Society. He is a man of strong personality and sterling worth and his interesting family is a credit to him as well as to the community. Starting out in life for himself empty-handed, his success has been won through his own unaided efforts and he deserves to be classed with his fellowmen, having never had a lawsuit, and he is honored and respected by all who know him.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Gustav Eckermann Bio 

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Eckermann, Grantz, Schaeffer, Weise, Lage, Metzen, Kraftmyer 

                Among the German citizens of Davenport perhaps few hold so prominent a place in the hearts of all as does Gustav Eckermann. For a quarter of a century he was connected with the agricultural interests here, achieving success in his vocation as a representative of the best farmers, but it is as a man of hospitable instincts that he will be best remembered by the citizens of Davenport township.

                He was born in Germany, March 16, 1832, a son of Claus Eckermann, who learned the carpenter’s trade and then, in 1852, came to the United States. He landed at New Orleans and came up the Mississippi to Davenport. He found employment on a farm across the river in Illinois but after three months’ experience came back to Davenport, where he worked at the carpenter’s trade for about fourteen years, in that time assisting in building many of the prominent residences here. As the result of his savings, he was then able to buy forty acres of land in Davenport township, on which he lived for about twenty five years. As he conducted a salon and dance hall there, his place was the scene of many social events among the Germans and was generally regarded as their place of meeting in that locality. Indeed, it was there that Mr. Eckermann and his wife celebrated their silver wedding. The anniversary was attended by over two hundred relatives and friends and lasted all day, with plenty to eat and drink. The celebration was concluded by a dance in the hall and everyone present enjoyed a most delightful day. While Mr. Eckermann made a wide reputation for himself as a host, he was not neglectful of his private concerns but in the course of years became the owner of ninety-two acres of farm land in Lincoln township, eighty acres in Butler township, and, when he retired from active life in 1892 and took up his residence in Davenport, he bought the property where he lives.

                At Moline, Illinois, November 21, 1854, was celebrated Mr. Eckermann’s marriage to Miss Eliza Grantz, a daughter of August Magdalena Grantz. They had come from Germany to Scott county in 1852, but after remaining a few years in Le Claire township removed to Moline, Illinois, which remained their home until their death. Of their family, the first three children died in infancy. The others are: Clara, who married Fred Schaeffer, lives in Davenport and is the mother of three children, Eliza, Harry and Minnie. Gustav, Jr., of Lincoln township, married Bertha Weise and they have four children, Minnie, Hugo, Valentine and Harold. Laura is the wife of Henry Lage, of Pleasant Valley township, and the mother of four children, Clara, Harry, Lillie and Herbert. Elizabeth married Alex Schaeffer, of Pleasant Valley township, and has three sons, Ernest, Waldo and Leroy. Hugo married Adelia Metzen and they have two children, Eleanor and Raymond. They live on a farm in this county. Otto married Emma Kraftmyer and lives in Davenport, where he is rearing two daughters, Clara and Helen. Mr. And Mrs. Eckermann celebrated their golden wedding, which, however, was attended only by their children, grandchildren and near relatives as the death of Mrs. Eckermann’s mother prevented their inviting any of their numerous friends.

                While Mr. Eckermann was living in Davenport township he was elected road supervisor, serving for two years. His life record and the long period during which he has been identified with the interests of the county has secured his membership in the German Pioneer Association, of which he was president in 1908 and on whose board of directors he has served for sometime. An exponent of the best traits of character belonging distinctively to his nation, a man whose citizenship compares favorably with the best of the native Americans, Mr. Eckermann enjoys the friendship of a large number of people in Davenport and in the township where he was so widely known.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

klindt.jpg (125699 bytes)Henry Klindt Bio 

From “Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Klindt, Mundt, Feninghouse, Lange, Schnoor, Hahn 

                Among the citizens of Davenport who are enjoying a well earned rest after many years of profitable labor is Henry Klindt, one of the prominent Germans of the city. He came to this country with little money but with the determination to get ahead, grateful at the outset to receive work of any kind. Endowed with the characteristics which belong in so high degree to the members of his nation, he has won a pronounced success from everything he has attempted. At present he is residing at No. 834 Marquette street, Davenport.

                He was born in the village of Fiefbergen,  Holstein, Germany, October 8, 1839, a son of Thies and Wiepke (Mundt) Klindt. After he had received his education in his native land Henry Klindt came to this country, arriving here in the spring of 1856. As a farm boy he started to work in Scott county, but was willing to perform any job that came his way. In the winter he worked in Dayton but then went back to the country, where he found employment in a sawmill. He also did teaming for a time until the outbreak of the Civil war.

                Notwithstanding the fact that he was of foreign birth, Mr. Klindt enlisted in the Missouri artillery under Captain Feninghouse, becoming a member of the First Missouri Flying Battery. Throughout the course of the war he served as a private with great distinction and at its close was honorably discharged. When the Union no longer needed his support, he returned to Davenport, where he engaged in teaming. Later he opened a grain and feed store, this being his first business venture. He gained from it the success he anticipated and then engaged in operating the Eagle brewery, belonging to J. Lange & Company. To it he devoted his entire time until 1891, when he sold his interest in that concern. He is now president of the malt & Grain Company, of which he was one of the organizers.

                Mr. Klindt was united in marriage to Miss Catherina Schnoor, May 9, 1863. One son, George, has been born to them. He married Miss Julia Hahn, and they have a daughter, Norma. Mr. Klindt is one of the active members of the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and belongs to the German Society of Turners, and to the German Pioneer Society. He was also a member of the old fire company in 1858. The record of his life is a most gratifying evidence of the large returns which may be gained from hard work, determination and unassailable courage. He never spared himself during the years of his early life and now, having won a large competence, enjoys a well deserved rest. The amiable qualities of his personality have also won recognition and he is accounted friend of many.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project



Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Celtic Cousins A Little Bit of Ireland The Irish in Iowa Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles Other Family Ties