Scott Co, Iowa USGenWeb Project

weber.jpg (112993 bytes)J. Siewert Weber, M. D., PH. G. Bio 

“From Vol.2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Weber, Carstensen, Glynn, Thomas, 

                Dr. J. Siewert Weber, one of the builders, promoters and owners of the Davenport Hospital, whose skill in surgery as well as in the general practice of medicine has brought him more than local fame, was born in Fond du Lac Wisconsin, April 11, 1877. His father, John G. Weber, was a native of Germany and when a young man came to the United States. After two years spent in New York he removed westward to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in 1848, and there continued his residence until called to his final rest in 1906 when sixty-six years of age. He married Agnes Carstensen, a native of Heligoland, who passed away in 1878.

                Dr. Weber was only three years of age at the time of his mother’s death but it was good fortune to be entrusted to the guidance of his aunt, Miss Catharine Carstensen, in whom he found the sympathy of a foster mother. His youthful days were spent in his native city, where he acquired his early education in the public schools, while his collegiate course was pursued in Drake University and from that institution he was graduated on the completion of a pharmaceutical course. He then took up the study of medicine in Rush Medical college, of the University of Chicago, and was graduated in 1901, after which he spent six months in original research along the lines of bacteriology and pathology before he engaged in active practice. He afterward became associate surgeon at the hospital of the Illinois Steel Works at Joliet, Illinois, and this brought him broad experience in surgical practice.

                In 1902 Dr. Weber came to Davenport, opening an office for general practice. He has, however, made surgery his specialty, has devoted much study to it and has had much success in difficult and unusual cases. He is thoroughly conversant with the subject of anatomy and the component parts of the human body and the onslaughts made upon it by disease. Moreover, his touch is characterized by tenderness as well as precision, and, calm and well poised he is thoroughly qualified for the difficult work which he undertakes. His office is of a most modern character, supplied with all the latest improved appliances and instruments necessary for the work which he has undertaken. In connection with Dr. C. E. Glynn he organized and built the Davenport Hospital that he might better handle and care for surgical and medical cases, giving to them the best attention possible in an establishment especially equipped therefore, and he is now surgeon in that hospital. He belongs to the County, State and National Medical Associations and the Second District Medical Society, and is also a member of the University Alliance. Dr. Weber is a member of the Bureau of Medical Legislation of the American Medical Association.

                In 1903 Dr. Weber was married to Miss Rhoda Mae Thomas, a native of Des Moines who at the time of her marriage was a student of the Iowa State Normal College at Cedar Falls, Iowa. They have two daughters, Kathryn Lucile and Florence Elizabeth.

                Dr. Weber is connected with several fraternal organizations and those who meet him socially find him a pleasant, genial gentleman, while those who come in contact with him professionally know him as a sympathetic, capable practitioner, able and conscientious in the performance of his duty and at the same time closely conforming in his practice to the highest standard of professional ethics.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Thomas Martindale Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Martindale, Suiter, Harnby, Hardie, Dennett, Curtis, Riley. 

                In the death of Thomas Martindale, Long Grove and Scott county lost one of the pioneer settlers. While he never sought to figure prominently in public life, his neighbors and friends knew him as a man of worth, industrious and enterprising, and at all times reliable. He was born in Hutton, Yorkshire, England, December 16, 1832, a son of Thomas and Jane Martindale, who spent their entire lives in England, as did all their children with the exception of Thomas and Matthew E. The latter came to the new world and died in Canada.

                Thomas Martindale acquired his education in the schools of Hutton and there learned the blacksmith’s trade under the direction of his father. He left England at the age of twenty-two years in company with his brother Matthew and they sailed on the same ship on which his future wife was a passenger. Landing at New York, they made their way to Oswego New York, in which locality Thomas Martindale remained for about three weeks but could not secure work and therefore went to Canada to join his brother, who was a shoemaker. He remained in the Dominion for about two years, after which he came to Davenport and secured employment with John Suiter, an Englishman, who was conducting a blacksmith shop. For a year Mr. Martindale remained in his employ, after which he was married and removed to a farm at Slopertown, about seven miles from Davenport. He purchased forty acres of land only partially improved but at once started to break the prairie with ox-teams and soon the track of the plow was seen across his fields, indicating that the work of improvement had been begun. Later they removed to a farm of eighty acres, which they rented about three miles from Davenport, and subsequently took up their abode in the city, where Mr. Martindale secured work at his trade. In 1863 they removed to Long Grove and purchased the tract of land of four acres upon which Mrs. Martindale now resides. There was an old blacksmith shop on the place and a house had also been built but it has since been greatly enlarged and improved. Mr. Martindale at once began work in the shop and continued actively in business until1902, after which he practically retired. He secured the diploma and first prize at the Mount Joy fair in 1900 for having the best shod horse. He was always regarded as an expert workman in his line and because of this and his honorable business methods he was accorded a liberal patronage and made a good living.

                On the 26th of March, 1857, Mr. Martindale was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Harnby, who survives him. They became the parents of seven children, namely; Mary Jane, the eldest, is the wife of David Hardie, of Pierson, Woodbury county, Iowa. They have three children, Clara, Ethel and Jeneva. Anna Elizabeth became the wife of Samuel Dennett and died leaving one son, LeRoy. Minnie M. is the wife of George Curtis, of Long Grove, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. They have seven children, Raymond, Bessie, LeRoy, Edith, Harold, Margaret and Robert. John W. died at the age of seventeen months. Thomas is also deceased. Albert W. is a resident of Anders, Nebraska. He wedded Libbie Riley and they have seven children, Melvin, Lester, Esther, Ruth, Thomas, Aline and Alice, the last two being twins. Ira George Martindale is still at home.

                The death of Mr. Martindale, which occurred February 8, 1910, was occasioned by a paralytic stroke, and he was laid to rest in Long Grove cemetery. His residence in the county, covering more than a half century, made him familiar with the records and events which are to others a matter of history but were to him matters of personal knowledge or experience. He could relate many interesting incidents of the early days and his reminiscences often had to do with events that figured in the history of the county. He was widely known and respected and there was much that was commendable in his active and well spent life.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

C. R. Spink Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Spink, Godwin, Dennis, 

                Prominent among Davenport’s builders is C. R. Spink, who occupies a position of distinction as one of the leading architects of the city. Prompted by laudable ambition, his enterprise augmented by thorough practical training, he has so utilized his talents and directed his efforts that success has followed and at the same time the public has been a large indirect beneficiary, in that his labors have added much to the improvement and adornment of the city.

                Mr. Spink was born in Davenport, August 8, 1869. His father, Henry Spink, was a native of Hull, England, and crossing the Atlantic to the United Sates in 1849, established his home in Clinton county, Iowa, where he lived for two years. In 1851 he removed to Davenport, where he made his home until 1897.

He was a painter by trade and although a man who never sought to figure prominently in public life, yet commanded the respect and confidence of his friends and neighbors by fidelity to honorable, upright principles. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Emily Rebecca Godwin, was a native of London, England.

C. R. Spink at the usual age entered the public schools and when his more specifically literary course was completed he studied architecture in the University of Illinois, from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1901. After spending a year in the offices of leading architects in Chicago, he returned to his native city and entered upon the active practice of his profession. He thoroughly qualified for this business by learning the carpenter’s and machinists trades, acquainting himself with both the theory and practice. His ability is pronounced and has won for him a success which is most desirable and practical. He has erected many of the most beautiful homes of Davenport, including the palatial residence of W. P. Bettendorf. His handiwork is seen in many buildings of a public character and as an architect and builder he occupies a prominent position.

                On the 26th of December, 1906. Mr. Spink was married to Miss Harriet Dennis, a native of Princeton, Scott county, Iowa, and a daughter of J. D. Dennis of that place. They now have one child, Harriet Elizabeth, who was born December 8, 1908.

                In his fraternal relations Mr. Spink is an Odd Fellow and is also connected with the Woodmen of the World. He enjoys the companionship of a large circle of friends but allows no outside interest to interfere with the faithful execution of his contracts in the conduct of a business which has constantly developed in extent and importance.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

John G. Dutcher Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Dutcher, Wagner, Marsdorph, Mitch, Tarbit 

                John G. Dutcher is a worthy representative of the oldest and most prominent families of Scott county and has been identified with its farming interests throughout a long period. The family originated in Holland, whence the first of the name emigrated to New York in 1632. There are still many of the name living in and near Otsego county, that state, and a number are prominent representatives of the various professions. There is in possession of the Dutcher family a will signed by Ruloof Dutcher, bearing the date January 17, 1736, and also copies of land transfers as far back as the year 1757.

                John G. Dutcher of this review was born in Otsego county, New York, in 1846, a son of D. C. and Laney E. (Wagner) Dutcher, both of whom were natives of the same place, the former born in November, 1830, and the latter in August, 1832. The parents journeyed west in December, 1854, first settling in Rock Island, Illinois, where they spent a few years, while in April, 1858, they continued their journey just across the state line into Scott county, Iowa. Here the father purchased a tract of land, which is now owned by two of his sons.

                John G. Dutcher was a little lad of eight years when he was brought from his native state to the west and was twelve years of age when the family home was established in Scott county. He was educated in the district schools of Buffalo township and completed his studies in a business college of Davenport. During the periods of vacation he was trained in the duties that usually fall to the farm lad and thus as his age and strength increased he became more and more familiar with the methods of agriculture. After putting aside his text-books he took entire charge of the home farm for his father, who was an invalid, and the place is now owned by himself and his brother J. E. They likewise own large tracts of timber land in Arkansas and farm lands in various other sections. For many years Mr. Dutcher was busily employed at farm labor but is now leaving the active work to others, while he merely superintends his invested interests. His excellent business ability has been manifest in many ways and today he is classed with the representative and substantial residents of Scott county. In addition to his landed possessions he is also a stockholder in the Savings Bank at Buffalo, of which he is acting as vice president.

                Mr. Dutcher was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Marsdorph, who still survives. He is a democrat in his political views and in 1892 was elected to the board of county supervisors, serving six years, while in 1906 he was once more elected and is now serving his second term. He is a Mason, belonging to lodge No. 37, at Davenport; to Banner Lodge, No. 16, Knights of Pythias at Buffalo; Davenport Lodge, No. 7, I. O. O. F.; and to the Woodmen of the World.

                J. E. Dutcher, the brother, makes his home on the same farm and together they are managing their extensive interests. He wedded Miss Mary Mitch, a daughter of Frederick Mitch, of Peoria, Illinois. Their union has been blessed with one son and two daughters: Charles E., who operates the farm for his father and uncle; Nancy, the wife of Richard Tarbit, of Syracuse, New York; and Laney, at home.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

August F. Martzahn Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Martzahn, Beyer, Schmidt, Moeller 

                August F. Martzahn, the president and manager of the Davenport Slaughter & Rendering Company, is one of the prosperous citizens of this city, which was his birthplace and has since been his home. His father, Fred Martzahn, was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, and with his parents came to this country when a young man. He was a carpenter by trade and after landing at New Orleans made his way slowly up the Mississippi river to Scott county, where the family were numbered among the early German settlers. Fred Martzahn took an active part in local affairs of Scott county and feeling in sympathy with the views advocated by Lincoln and having come under the spell of his personality, exerted great influence in the campaign preceding the election of the martyred president. He married Miss Elizabeth Beyer and of their union were born six children: Emma, August F., Amelia, Frank, Ella and Dora. Amelia has passed away and Frank is a dairyman in Davenport.

                It was on the 26th of January, 1861, that August F. Martzahn was born. He attended the common schools of Davenport and also received a good business training. After his school days were over he learned the butcher’s trade, to which he has since devoted his energies for the last thirty-three years. He was but eighteen years of age when he opened his first shop at 1701 West Third street. It was very small and Mr. Martzahn himself waited upon his customers. Later as he attained success and saw opportunity, he organized the present company, being the sole owner at the beginning, but later he made it a stock concern, himself holding the position of president and general manager. It is the only firm of its kind in the city of Davenport and is one of the large houses in this section of the state. The plant has a capacity of twenty-five head of cattle, thirty hogs and ten calves, the company makes a specialty of rendering and dealing in hides. In the ten years of its existence it has become one of the substantial and profitable business houses here for it has been operated upon sound principles and the quality of their goods has secured the trade of a large percentage of the population.

                On the 16th of October, 1884, Mr. Martzahn was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Schmidt, a daughter of Carl and Sophia (Moeller) Schmidt. One son, Carl, has been born to them. He completed the course of study in the grammar schools, was graduated from the high school and then attended Brown College. He is now a bookkeeper in the employ of the government, working at the Arsenal. Mr. Martzahn belongs to several of the Masonic bodies here and is also a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He occupies a comfortable home at 1620 West Third street, where he is most hospitable in entertaining his many friends.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

John Schlichting Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Schlichting, Stark, Hensen, Lamp, Misfeldt, Koch 

                John Schlichting, who with good results has tilled his farm in Liberty, township, was born thereon December 1, 1874, a son of John and Anna (Stark) Schlichting, who were born in Holstein, Germany, the former February 14, 1830 and the latter August 1, 1833. They came to the United States in June, 1865 and made their way to Scott county and were married in Davenport. For the first year after his arrival Mr. Schlichting worked as a laborer in the city, but the following spring engaged in farming for himself near Plainview. Later he came to Liberty township, where he bought the place on which his son John is now residing. It remained his home until the spring of 1894, when having reaped large harvests and secured a generous income, he retired from active life and moved to New Liberty. There his death occurred December 30, 1901. His wife survived him several years, or until February 20, 1907, when she also passed away. Mr. Schlichting had come here a poor man, but through industry and frugality had secured not only the farm previously mentioned but another tract of one hundred and sixty acres, just north of the village of New Liberty, and a third farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Cedar county. Three children were born to him and his wife: Mrs. Ida Hensen, who is a widow living in Walcott; Dora, who is the wife of Gus Lamp, of New Liberty; and John, who is the subject of this sketch.

                John Schlichting was reared upon the farm he now occupies and here has always made his home. He attended the district schools of Liberty township, in which he derived a fair training in the rudimentary branches of English education. From his childhood days he did his full share of the chores and work upon the farm and as soon as he was able assisted in the tilling of the fields. When his father desired to retire from active life he was entrusted with the operation of the home place, which is a tract of two hundred and forty acres lying upon section 30. Mr. Schlichting, Sr., had already put in the greater number of improvements, but these has been increased in the years of his son’s occupation, and the cultivation of the soil has also been improved, so that the place is one of the valuable farm properties in Liberty township.

                It was November 20, 1901, that Mr. Schlichting was married to Miss Matilda Misfeldt, who was born in Butler township, Scott county, May 12, 1882, and is a daughter of Fred and Catherine (Koch) Misfeldt, both of whom were natives of Holstein, Germany. They came to America in 1865 taking up their residence in this county, where Mr. Misfeldt engaged in farming. He won a well deserved success and passed away September 19, 1908, at sixty-eight years of age, for he was born January 22, 1840. His widow now resides in New Liberty. Three children has been born to Mr. Schlichting and his wife, Ella Anna Catherine, Elmer, Fredrich, Johann and Lawrence John Henry. Mr. Schlichting is one of the substantial farmers of his locality, winning a large return in his cultivation of the fields and enjoying the respect of his fellow citizens.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

toerring.jpg (101880 bytes)Chris Toerring Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Toerring, Lorenzen, Herzberg, Klug, Silberstein, Burmeister               

                Chris Toerring, now deceased, well deserves mention among those whose labors have constituted a source of the city’s pride and improvement, for as one of the park commissioners he did for Davenport a work the value of which cannot be overestimated. He stood at all times for that which cannot be overestimated. He stood at all times for that which is best in civic affairs and was one of the most efficient officers that Davenport has ever had. As the name indicates, he was a representative of the Danish race, which has furnished Iowa a proportion of its worthy residents. He was a native of Denmark and when he had acquired a good practical education in the schools of his native country he obtained business experience along mercantile lines there. In the year 1861 he came to America, attracted by the broader opportunities offered on this side of the Atlantic. The tales which he heard proved so enticing that he resolved that he would benefit by the advantages here offered and yet he was not deceived by any false hope of gaining wealth without labor. He accepted a position with the Jens Lorenzen Crockery Company, with which he remained for four years, and then became connected with the dry-goods business as a salesman in the employ of the firm of Herzberg & Company. In 1867 he purchased the store of Otto Klug, Sr., an establishment that stood on the present site of the store occupied by Silberstein Brothers.

                In the same year Mr. Toerring was united in marriage to Miss Dorothea Burmeister, of this city, who still survives him. They never had any children of their own but adopted two nephews, sons of his brother, and to these two boys, Frederick, of St. Louis, and Chris, of Philadelphia, they gave all the care, love and attention that would have been bestowed upon children of their own.

                Mr. Toerring was a prominent Mason, his membership being in Fraternal Lodge, A. F. & A. M., in which he was honored with all of the offices, including that of master. He likewise belonged to the Davenport Turngemeinde and for a number of years held the office of first speaker of that society. He was also a member of the Schuetzen Society of Davenport. It was in his connection with municipal affairs, however, that he was most prominently known and his course was characterized by such loyalty and practical service that it won for him the honor and respect of all. From 1871 until 1875 he held the office of city treasurer. On the organization of the park commission he became one of its members and it was in this connection that he did his greatest work for Davenport, devoting much of his time to the establishment and beautifying of the public parks. He saw what might be accomplished along those lines and with high ideals labored to improve the park system in such a manner that it would remain for years to come as the most attractive feature of the municipal life The death of Mr. Toerring occurred in 1898. He had never had occasion to regret his determination to seek a home in the new world, for here he had not only found improved and good business opportunities but had also gained a large circle of warm friends that made his residence here of a most pleasant character.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

John Grant Robertson Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Robertson, Pollock, Grieve, Thomson, Neal, Johnson, Thompson, Gilmore, O’Conner, Kloppenburg               

                The student of history cannot carry his investigations far into the records of Scott county without learning that the Robertsons have long been a well known and honored family here. In 1844 a colony of Scotchmen, headed by Mrs. Robertson, a grandmother of him whose name introduces this review, left their old homes on the banks of Clyde and started for America. In the party were four families, the Robertsons, John Pollock and his family, John Grieve and his family, and H. M. Thomson and his family. Mrs. Robertson was accompanied by her son John, the after of our subject, and four daughters, who were respectively the wives of the three gentlemen mentioned above. It was the custom then in Scotland to bind the younger members of the family out as apprentices, and in order to keep her children all together Mr. Robertson planned the emigration to the new world. They sailed for New Orleans, thence made their way up the Mississippi river and landed at Long Grove, Scott county, Iowa, where each family took up forty acres of prairie land that up to that time had always been in possession of the government. This was two years before the admission of the state into the Union.

                John Robertson, the father of John Grant Robertson, lived with Mr. Pollock until he was married, on the 22d of December, 1849, to Miss Mary Ann Neal. He and his bride then took up their abode in the house which he had built and he added to his original forty acres, buying other land as his financial resources afforded until he became the owner of a good farm, well improved. Within the boundaries of the place were comprised one hundred and forty acres, to the further cultivation of which he earnestly devoted his efforts so that rich crops were annually gathered. The farm is still the property of his widow and is now being operated by his son and namesake. John Robertson was a member of the Presbyterian church in Scotland. On coming to this county they found he was one of those who organized a little church which held its services in the schoolhouse or in different private homes. He always remained loyal to his belief, and it was characteristic of Mr. Robertson that he was ever a firm defender of the right as he understood it. He served as school  director and in other local offices, but his time and energies were mostly given to general farming. His wife was born about seven miles from Edinburgh, Scotland, April 4, 1824, and was a daughter of William and Elizabeth Neal. Her father was a stone-mason by trade and followed that pursuit in Scotland until 1832, when with his family he sailed for the new world, landing at Montreal, Canada. They lived in several places in that country but the father died soon after coming to the new world. Her brother, who was also a stone-mason by trade, then took charge of the family and in 1847 they came to Long Grove, Iowa, where Mrs. Robertson has since made her home. She is now living with her son William M., a  prosperous farmer and stockman of Winfield township. She is the mother of eight children: Elizabeth, the wife of Robert Johnson, of Long Grove, by whom she has tow children, Anna and Grant; Jennie, who is the wife of Andrew Thompson, of Nebraska, and has three children, Mary, Myrtle and John; John, who died at the age of two years; James, of Davenport, who married Elizabeth Gilmore and has five children, Bertha, Ollie, Mary, Harry and Daisy; Anna, who lives with her mother and is the wife of Frank O’Conner, their children being four in number, Frank, John, Charles and Roderic; William M., a farmer and stockman, of Winfield township, who owns and cultivates one hundred and ten acres of fine farm land and makes a specialty of raising Poland China hogs; John Grant, of this review; and one who died in infancy.

                The birth of John Grant Robertson occurred January 19, 1870, on the old homestead farm on which he yet makes his home. He is indebted to the public school system of the county for the educational privileges which he enjoyed and to a business college of Davenport, so that he was thus well qualified for the practical and responsible duties which have devolved upon him since starting in business. Since putting aside his text-books he has continuously engaged in farming and, following the father’s retirement, he and his brother William took charge of the old homestead, which they continued to cultivate together until 1902, when his brother William purchased his present farm, and John G. Robertson has since managed the home place alone. He carries on general agricultural pursuits and makes a specialty of the raising of shorthorn cattle and Poland China hogs. He is diligent and persevering in business, allowing no obstacle to bar his path it can be overcome by earnest and persistent effort.

                On the 2d of April, 1896, Mr. Robertson was married to Miss Alma Kloppenburg, a daughter of Herman and Elizabeth Kloppenburg, who were early settlers of Butler township and are now living at Long Grove. Upon their former farm in Butler township Mrs. Robertson was born and reared. She has become the mother of three children: Winnie, Earl and Lucille, all at home.

                Both Mr. and Mrs. Robertson are consistent members of the Christian church of Long Grove and take an active and helpful part in its work. Mr. Robertson has served as deacon and was also church treasurer. He filled the office of school director for a number of years and the cause of education finds in him a stalwart champion. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his membership being in the lodge at Long Grove, of which he has served as secretary and in other offices. He also belongs to Grove Camp, No. 6197, M. W. A., and both he and his wife are members of the Court of Honor of Long Grove. They are highly esteemed in these different organizations and have an extensive circle of friends throughout the county, winning the regard which is ever accorded in recognition of sterling worth and upright principles.

             Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

John Lensch Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downy—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Lensch, Schnor, Misfeldt, Brockmann 

                It seems to have been the fate of Holstein, Germany to have lost more than her share of good citizens to the United States and among this number is John Lensch, one of Scott county’s pioneers. He was born January 29, 1835, his parents being Claus and Magdalina Lensch, both of whom lived and died in the fatherland. His school days were passed in Germany and even before he severed home ties he had some practical training as a farmer.

                In 1857 when a very little past his majority Mr. Lensch became imbued with the prevalent idea that greater opportunity awaited him across the water and he took passage for America, landing in New York and coming from that city to Davenport. His first employment was in a brickyard, but country life, which he had previously enjoyed, appealing to him, he secured work on a farm and subsequently rented land in Lincoln township which he managed on his own account. In 1862 he became one of Scott county’s property holders through the purchase of eighty acres of improved land. After about two years he sold that place and bought another eighty acres in Lincoln township, upon which he made his home for ten years. Again Mr. Lensch disposed of his land and became the proprietor of a larger tract of two hundred acres in Sheridan township, near the town of Eldridge. There he and his family made their home for the twenty years between 1876 and 1896, but at the end of this time he decided to give up active life and retire to enjoy a greater leisure than the preceding years had permitted him. He was then among Scott county’s considerable property holders, owning four hundred acres of splendid land.

                The joyous Christmas-tide has an unusual significance for Mr. and Mrs. Lensch for it was upon that day in 1865 that they united their hands and fortunes in marriage. Mrs. Lensch was before her marriage Miss Dora Schnor, a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Schnor, German citizens who lived throughout life in their native country. Mrs. Lensch who was born September 20, 1832, came to America alone in 1865—the year of her marriage. The following six children were born of this union: Mollie, Laura, Matie and Hattie, all deceased; Gustav, of Sheridan township, who married Meta Misfeldt and is the father of four children, Nora, Lettie, Anna, and John; and John, a resident of Sheridan township, who married Clara Brockmann and has five children, Martha, Amiel, Leona, Raymond and Edna. It is thus apparent that Mr. and Mrs. Lensch are abundantly entitled to the pleasant roles of grandfather and grandmother.

                The fact that Mr. Lensch has abandoned the strenuous life of an active agriculturist is by no means indicative that he is no longer a real factor in the life of his community. Taking a keen and intelligent interest in public affairs and a student of those questions which pertain to the acquisition of the greatest good for the greatest number, he constitutes in himself an admirable citizen, as well as one to whom consideration is due for his past progressive agricultural achievements.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

schricker.jpg (116758 bytes)Lorenzo Schricker Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Schricker, Uibeleisen, Schmidt, Dessaint, Mueller, Weyerhauser, Hansen, Steffan, Pascha, Von Pietruski, Kahl, Dvorak, Matthes              

                In a review of Davenport’s history it becomes evident that Lorenzo Schricker deserves mention among those who were her builders and promoters. Taking advantage of the natural resources offered by the country, he planned and promoted business enterprises of far-reaching effect and benefit. With keen insight he foresaw the possibilities of trade, utilized the opportunities which were afforded by existing conditions and as the years passed on developed and expanded his commercial and manufacturing interests until he occupied a conspicuous place among the leading lumbermen of the middle west and also in financial and other business circles into which he directed his energies. Many important public and private concerns were stimulated by his activities and he stood as a high type of the business man whose record is conclusive proof of the fact that success and an honored name may be won simultaneously.

                From the days of his early manhood the life of Lorenzo Schricker was one of hard work, of close application and of intense energy. He was born November 12, 1825, in Bavaria Germany, a son of Christian and Eva Schricker. He attended school at Weisdorf, later the polytechnic school of Nuremberg and completed his education in the School of Agriculture and Industry at Hof. He afterward served a four years’ apprenticeship in a dry-goods store and later was engaged as bookkeeper by a railroad company at a salary of twelve dollars per month. When he was but nineteen years of age he took a contract to build a railroad and thus in early manhood he gave proof of the elemental strength of his character, which was to carry him into important relations in later years.

                America—the land of promise—attracted him. Hearing and heeding the call of the western world, he sailed for the United States in the spring of 1848 and, settling in Cincinnati, Ohio, there engaged in the confectionery business until the succeeding fall, when he removed to St. Louis, where he was engaged in the dry-goods trade until the fall of 1849. He then returned to Germany and upon again coming to America was accompanied by his mother, three sisters and a brother, his father having previously joined him in St. Louis. The year 1850 witnessed the arrival of Lorenzo Schricker in Davenport. He became connected with the commercial interests of the city as the senior partner of the firm of Schricker & Uibeleisen, proprietors of a general store. The following year he entered into partnership in the same line of business with his brother-in-law, John Schmidt, and when that association was dissolved he established a store of his own and also entered the field of banking. Every undertaking was crowned with success, for he applied himself with untiring energy to the management and control of his business interests and won public confidence and patronage through the most honorable business methods. His fellow townsmen in 1858 elected him city treasurer—the only public office he ever held—and after two years’ service he retired from the position. In 1864 he formed a partnership with L. C. Dessaint in the business of lumber manufacturing, the firm purchasing the mill at the foot of Scott street. In 1868 Mr. Dessaint was succeeded by Christian Mueller and the firm of Schricker & Mueller was in existence until the death of the senior partner. Mr. Schricker became widely known as a representative of the lumber industry of the middle west. Noting and utilizing opportunities which others passed by heedlessly, his trade interests expanded to mammoth proportions and he came to be recognized as an authority upon questions of moment to lumbermen. He was the originator of the lumber manufacturers’ combinations in the logging business on the Mississippi river. Previous to 1870 the manufacturers bought their log supplies as best they could—every man for himself—at the mouths of the Black, Wisconsin, Chippewa and St. Croix rivers. Mr. Schricker, in company with Mr. Weyerhauser, of Rock Island, spent two years in conjointly purchasing extensive supplies and found their cooperation so profitable that they easily induced other sawmill proprietors in the three cities to unite with them. The result was the organization of the Upper Mississippi Logging Company in 1871, at a meeting of the manufacturers held at the old Burtis House in Davenport, with Mr. Schricker as president of the company. The great logging works at Beef Slough were built by this association. Lumber interests received added stimulus and impetus from this organization, with which Mr. Schricker continued until 1874, when he withdrew in order to devote his undivided time and attention to the extensive tracts of pine lands in Wisconsin, which he had purchased, and to his manufacturing and financial interests in Davenport. In 1864 he had become an active factor in banking circles in this city, being a stockholder and director in several banks and also vice president of the First National Bank for years. The most of his time for six years previous to his death was spent in the pineries of Wisconsin and there was one period of two years in which he did not pass a fortnight altogether in his home at Davenport. His business methods were in some respects unique and peculiar. He kept no books but carried notes, agreements, data and everything pertaining to his private affairs in a large wallet in his coat pocket and thus at any time he could make immediate reference to a paper for information or if any business matter was under discussion. One day, in the heart of the Chippewa pineries, a prominent lumberman met him and as they were traveling through the woods the man said: “Mr. Schricker, that note of mine is a little overdue, but I will attend to it as soon as I get home. Just send me the whole amount of interest due when you are back in Davenport and I will pay the interest and principal.” Mr. Schricker replied; “O. I can fix that right her,” and, seating himself on a log, he took out his wallet, selected the note, calculated the interest to the very day and then and there received the check for the amount, which the next day was presented to and paid at the bank of Eau Claire.

                Mr. Schricker was three times married. He first wedded Mary Hansen. Their children were: August, deceased; William E., a banker at La Conner, Washington; Ottilie, whose first husband was Major Steffen, later Steffen Pascha, adjutant general to the sultan. He died in Constantinople and his widow became the wife of Admiral Von Pietruski, who died in Pola, Austria. For his second wife, Mr. Schricker chose Sophia Kahl and their children were: Richard, now in Davenport; Laelius, deceased; and Harriet, whose husband was a naval officer, Korvettenkapitan Frank Dvorak, who until recently resided in Pola, Austria, but is at present living at Hietzing, Vienna, Austria. For his third wife Mr. Schricker chose Johanna Matthes. There was only one child, Selma, by that marriage. The mother, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1841 died April 2, 1898. For many years Mr. Schricker resided with his family at No. 714 Farnam street, but for two years previous to his death he occupied a palatial home on the Heights, just west of the junction of De Soto and Marquette streets. He passed away on the 12th of July, 1883, leaving a handsome estate, consisting of bank stock, notes, mortgages, Wisconsin pine lands and coal lands in Clearfield and Cambria counties, Pennsylvania. Resolutions of respect and sympathy were passed by various companies with which he was connected all expressive of the deep regret felt at the passing of Mr. Schricker. For a third of a century he had been a resident of Davenport. Coming to the city during its formative period, he introduced into its business circles a progressive element that bore fruit not only in the attainment of personal success but also in the stimulus given to business interests throughout the city. Strong in his ability to plan and perform, strong in his honor and good name, his worth was widely acknowledged. In the contests  which are invariably a feature of business life men often bear the marks and scars of the battle, but Mr. Schricker stood in his later years, as he did in his early manhood, for all that was loyal in citizenship, progressive and honorable in business and straightforward in every transaction. He was a man of marked individuality and notable force of character, his strongly marked traits being such as awakened for him the respect and admiration of all and gained for him the friendship of many.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Celtic Cousins A Little Bit of Ireland The Irish in Iowa Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles Other Family Ties