Scott Co, Iowa USGenWeb Project

rann.jpg (87961 bytes)Fritz Rann Biography

 From “History of Davenport and Scott County” Vol. II by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Rann, Rusch, Stearhmann

        A valuable farm of two hundred and ten acres in Cleona township still pays tribute to Fritz Rann, although he has put aside the active work of the fields and is now living retired in Davenport. He was for many years busily engaged in tilling the soil and his labors brought him the success which enables him now to rest from further effort. He was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, September 6, 1844, and is a son of Frederick and Louisa Rann. The father was a laborer there and remained in his native country until 1872, when he and his wife came to America, joining their son Fritz, who had some time before crossed the Atlantic. They both died in Davenport, the father when eighty-seven years of age, the mother when about fifty-five years of age. In their family were three children: Fritz; Peter, who is a retired farmer living in Muscatine, Iowa; and Henry, whose home is in Omaha.

            Fritz Rann attended school in Germany and afterward learned the cooper’s trade, but followed farming in Germany until he came to the United States. In 1870 he landed at New York and made his way direct to Davenport. Soon he secured employment as a farm hand in Scott county and worked in that way for about five years, after which he went to Nebraska, where he rented a farm. Two years later, however, he lost all of his money and returned to Scott county. Here he again worked as a farm hand in Cleona township and they lived thereon for about two years, after which they removed to Davenport, where Mr. Rann has since made his home.

            Mr. Rann has been married twice. In 1880 he wedded Miss Minnie Rusch, who died in 1895. In the fall of the same year he wedded Louisa Stearhmann and unto them was born one child, who died in infancy. Mr. Rann now rents his farm and from it derives a good income, so that he does not have to resort to active labor for a livelihood. He is a member of the Claus Grothe Gilde and is well known among the German-American citizens of the county. All entertain fro him confidence and good will.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

schaeferwilliam.jpg (70944 bytes)William C. Schaefer

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Prominent among those who gain a livelihood from the rich soil of Scott county may be mentioned William C. Schaefer, who owns ninety acres of land in Davenport township, where he resideds, and one hundred and fifty-four acres in Pleasant Valley township, besides other farm and city property. As the name indicates, he is of German birth, his parents being Edward and Mary (Bishop) Schaefer, who were pioneer settlers of Scott county. The former was born in Germany in 1810 and came to the United States when a young man, alone. He spent one year thereafter in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and then sought a location in Scott county. He bought forty acres of raw land on the Jersey Ridge road on Duck creek but prior to making the purchase he had built a crude dwelling in the midst of the wilderness. This house stood on the land which he later bought. It was about this time that he wedded Miss Mary Bishop and they began their domestic life in the pioneer home which Mr. Schaefer had prepared. Mrs. Schaefer had come to the new world with her parents when she was a young girl. To them were born four sons; William C., Fred, Charles and Edward. The two last named are deceased, the former passing away when but fourteen years of age, while the latter was thirty-six years of age at the time of his demise.

When the parents settled in their new home they began work in earnest, toiling from early morning until late at night. It was a long and strenuous task that was presented to them but they met it with a steady, unwavering resolution that was characteristic of the early pioneer settlers. From a wilderness the father converted his land into richly cultivated fields and as the time passed and his sons grew in years and strength they rendered valuable assistance to him in caring for his crops, through the sale of which he added to his financial resources and was able from time to time to increase his land holdings. He accumulated two hundred and eighty acres of fine land and in course of years replaced his pioneer home with a more pretentious and modern dwelling. At the time of his death, which occurred March 3, 1900, he left to each of his two living sons a good farm and left his widow in comfortable circumstances as well. She still survives at the advanced age of eighty years. As she looks about her she sees few of the settlers that came here in pioneer times but she has many warm friends among the younger generations who through their kindly interest and affection help to brighten her path in her declining years.

William C. Schaefer, the elder son, was born on the home farm on Duck creek, February 3, 1854, and in his boyhood and youth shared with the other members of the family in the privations and struggles that surround the early settlers in a new country. He attended the district schools of the neighborhood and later the German school in Davenport. He has made farming his life work and his home place, which he inherited from his father's estate, comprises ninety acres, this being located in Davenport township. He also owns five acres across the road from his home and one hundred and fifty-four acres in Pleasant Valley township, while he likewise has city property in Davenport. He carries on general farming and stock raising, his specialty being Poland China hogs and shorthorn cattle.

Mr. Schaefer was married April 17, 1879, to Miss Emma Kurtzfeldt, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Kurtzfeldt. She was born in Davenport township, her people being among the early settlers of this section. Six children grace the home of Mr. and Mrs. Schaefer: May, Edward, Adolph, Charles, Della, and Lillian. All are at home with the exception of the eldest daughter, May, the wife of William Bertram, who operates her father's farm in Pleasant Valley township. She is the mother of four children, Harold, Esther, Earl and Lucile.

Mr. Schaefer can well remember when he was a boy how this district appeared. Much of the land was still unclaimed, the homes of the settlers were widely scattered and many of the present thriving towns and villages were then unheard of. As the years have passed he has seen this section of the county develop into a rich farming center, dotted here and there with modern and attractive homes, and he can take a just pride in what has been accomplished, for he has been an important factor in bringing this about. Today he stands crowned with honors and success, and his honesty of purpose, his clean record and his devotion to all that is manly and upright has gained for him many warm friends

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

George Schick

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The name of Schick is a well known and familiar one in connection with the transfer and storage business in Davenport, for since the city has been of such magnitude as to support such trade interests members of the family have been connected therewith. He whose name introduces this review is at the head of Schick Brothers Express & Storage Company.

George Schick was born in Davenport, April 20, 1877, a son of John and Minnie (Kuehl) Schick. The former is a son of John Schick, Sr., who organized the first express company in Davenport, his first equipment being a one-horse dray. Later when the business grew to one of more importance he associated with him his son John, while still later he admitted two other sons to a partnership, and they conducted business for many years, becoming one of the leading concerns in this line in Davenport.

George Schick at the usual age entered the public schools and therein mastered the branches of learning that fitted him for the practical duties of life. In the meantime, during the periods of vacation, he assisted his father and through this means qualified for carrying on the business on his own account in later years. Eventually the firm was incorporated and made a stock company, in which our subject was an active member. In December, 1905, however, the sons bought the father's interest and organized Schick Brothers Express & Storage Company, of which George Schick is the head. They are engaged in leading concern of its kind in Davenport and the firm not only retains its former contract for carrying the mail from the postoffice to the various railway stations, this contract being in effect for two and a half years.

Mr. Schick was married in 1899 to Miss Mayme Truelsen, a daughter of Hans Truelsen, and their union has been blessed with one son, Robert John, who is now in school. Mr. Schick belongs to the Masonic order and to the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He possesses a high order of business talent, which has served him well in the conduct of his enterprise and all with whom he has dealings find him true to the terms of a contract. Having spent his entire life in Davenport - his native city - he is interested in her welfare and is numbered among her most substantial business men.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Rudolph Schlapkohl

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Agricultural interests of Cleona township find a worthy representative in Rudolph Schlapkohl, who has spent his entire life on the farm upon which he now resides, his birth there occurring on the 28th of January, 1871. His parents were Jurgens and Katharine (Kumerfeldt) Schlapkohl, both natives of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, born on the 1st of May, 1823, and the 24th of November, 1826, respectively. They were reared and married in the old country and came to the United States in the fall of 1853, locating in Rock Island, Illinois. The father farmed for Billy Davenport on Government Island for nine or ten years and then came to Cleona township, Scott county, Iowa, where he purchased the present homestead. Although a poor man when he came to this country, at the time of his death he was the owner of two other farms beside the home farm, one consisting of one hundred and eighty acres adjoining the latter, and the other comprising one hundred and sixty acres in Muscatine county - a fact which clearly indicates the success that came to him as the result of perseverance, industry and diligence. Both parents are now deceased, the father passing away on the 28th of April, 1895, and the mother on the 22d of October, 1903. Their family consisted of four children, namely: Betsy, the wife of Henry Schumann, of Pottawattamie county, Iowa; Herman, a farmer of Cedar county, whose home is near Durant; George, a resident of Muscatine county; and Rudolph, of this review.

No event of special importance came to vary the routine of life for Rudolph Schlapkohl during the period of his boyhood and youth, which was passed upon his father's farm, and at the ususal age he was sent as a pupil to the district schools for the acquirement of an education. When not busy with his text-books he worked in the fields, early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil, and continued to give his father the benefit of his assistance until the latter's death, when he took charge of the home farm and has since directed his efforts towards its further development. It consists of two hundred acres located on sections 8 and 17, and had been well improved by his father. Under his care, however, it has been put under still higher cultivation and is numbered among the valuable and desirable properties of the township. He carries on general farming and stock-raising, and his interests, which are conducted along strictly up-to-date and progressive lines, are a scource of gratifying remuneration to him.

It was on December 20, 1899, that Mr. Schlapkohl was united in marriage to Olga Ladehoff, a native of Cleona township, her birth occurring on the 25the of August, 1877. She is a daughter of Henry and Ida (Lamp) Ladehoff, residents of Cleona township, who were both born in Germany, the mother coming to the new world in early childhood, while the father arrived when about twenty years of age. In his political views Mr. Schlapkohl has always been a republican, believing that the principles of this party are most conductive to good government. He has not, however, been an aspirant for public office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs, which, carefully managed, are bringing to him a large measure of success. Having passed his entire life in this state, he is a typical Iowan, alert and enterprising, who recognizes the fact that upon individual effort depends success and is therefore laboring earnestly to advance to the goal of prosperity.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

schnecklothclaus.jpg (77159 bytes)Claus Schneckloth

From "History of Davenport and Scott County, Vol. 2" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Among the pioneers of whom Scott county is justifiably proud is Claus Schneckloth, who possesses a fund of interesting reminiscences of the old days. Although now living in Davenport, he resided for many years in the neighboring country district and pursued the vocation of an agriculturist. He was one of the numerous colony from Holstein, Germany, his birth having occurred there August 6, 1831, his parents being Hans and Celia (Miller) Schneckloth, with whom he came to America. The family arrived in 1847 and located in Scott county, Iowa, where they bought forty acres of partially improved land in Davenport township, now Sheridan township. The Indians had not yet entirely retreated before the onward march of civilization and Mr. Schneckloth on one occasion met no less than five hundred of them. He was naturally terrified, but they did not molest him. The father built what he expected would be a temporary shanty in which to live until a better house could be finished in the following autumn, and in this latter abode he and his wife resided until their deaths. At the time of their demise they owned eighty acres of land. The father had served in the German army and was a shoemaker by trade. He had two children: Claus, the subject of the sketch; and Bertha, who married M. F. Rohlff and resides in Davenport.

Claus Schneckloth received his education in the German schools. For the first five yeas of his residence in this country he assisted his father upon the home farm. About 1852 the latter purchased one hundred and sixty acres in Lincoln township and entrusted his son with the task of breaking the land and otherwise improving it, which consumed the greater part of 1854 and 1855. He built a house and began the cultivation of the land and in 1857 married and went to live there, making it his home for nearly forty years. He retired in 1894 and removed to Davenport. Beside the homestead he possesses one hundred and twenty acres in Lincoln township and one hundred and seventy-three in Hickory Grove township.

On April 12, 1857, Mr. Schneckloth was united in marriage to Miss Kathryn Weise, a daughter of Peter and Bertha (Plambeck) Weise, both natives of Germany. Mrs. Schneckloth is likewise by birth a subject of the kaiser, as she was born in the old country, April 27, 1839. They have become the parents of five children. Celia, the eldest, married Charles Schneckloth and lives in Lincoln township. She is the mother of eight children, Kathryn, Malinda, Ella, Harry, Hugo, deceased, Rudolph, Albert and Grace. Peter, the second child, now a resident of Lincoln township, married Johanna Holst and has two children, Rona and Herbert. Gustave, who lives on the old home place in the original house built by his father, married Anna Willodt and has two children, Irma and Medford, Oregon. Mrs. Schneckloth's parents came to this country in 1856 and settled in Lincoln township, this county, where they ultimately came to possess one hundred and sixty acres. On the 12th of April, 1907, Mr. and Mrs. Schneckloth celebrated their golden wedding.

Mr. Schneckloth is a public-spirited man and for some time served as school director of Sheridan township. After a long life of thrift and industry, it is now his fortunate lot to be able to spend his declining years among the comforts secured by his former labor, to exchange reminiscences with the old neighbors who have watched with him the amazing progress of the county since pioneer days, and to enjoy the society of those new friends whom he and his wife have won in their new home.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Gustave and Rudolph Schroeder

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The gentlemen whose names introduce this sketch are enterprising and well known farmers of Buffalo township, where they own a valuable farm comprising two hundred and twenty-three acres. They are sons of J. H. and Mina (Hoffman) Schroeder, both of German birth, the former a native of Werningshausen, Saxony, born, September 13, 1840, and the latter born in Baden on the 1st of January, 1845. They came to the United States in early life and were married in Davenport. Prior to his marriage the father lived for a time in Back Hawk, Iowa, which is now a part of Davenport. He is a cabinet-maker by trade and followed that pursuit after coming to the new world. Eventually, however, he took up farming on the Locust road but is now living a retired life in Davenport, enjoying in ease the fruits of his former labor.

Gustave A. Schroeder was born on the home farm in Scott county, January 20, 1873, while Rudolf, two years his junior, was born on the 2d of October, 1875. They were trained to the duties of the farm during the spring and summer months, while in the winter seasons their time was devoted to the acquirement of an education in the district schools. In 1888 the family removed to a farm near Mount Joy in Scott county, and the sons remained on the homestead there until 1896, when, ambitious to start out upon an independent venture, they prchased their present farm of two hundred and twenty-three acres in Buffalo township. This tract is well improved, having on it substantial buildings, while the land is in an arabel state and their knowledge of farming is such that each year they harvest good crops as a reward for the labor bestowed upon the fields. From the time of early spring planting until their crops are harvested in late autumn they are busily engaged, and their work is ever carried on according to the most honorable business principles.

The Schroeder brothers have one sister, Miss Lizzie Schroeder. In political belief they are democrats, believing firmly in the principles of the party. They are stockholders in the Buffalo Savings Bank, of which Rudolf is a director. Alert to every opportunity presented for advancement, they are steadily working their way upward and are classed with the representative farmers of Buffalo township and Scott county.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Louis Schroeder

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Louis Schroeder, who is living retired at No. 1557 Prairie street, in Davenport, followed farming in this county for many years, and through the careful conduct of his agricultural interests won the competence that now enables him to spend the evening of life in the enjoyment of well earned rest. He was born in Germany on the 16th of April, 1839, his parents being Anton and Martha Schroeder, both of whom passed away in the fatherland.

Louis Schroeder spent his youthful days in the acquirement of an education and when his text-books had been laid aside he learned the stonemason's trade, following that occupation in Germany until the time of his emigration to the new world in 1867. He was accompanied on the voyage by his wife and one child and after landing at New York made his way at once to Davenport, Iowa, where he secured employment at his trade. A short time afterward, however, he turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits and was actively engaged in the operation of a rented farm in Davenport township for seven years, on the expiration of which period he purchased a small tract of land in the same township, devoting his time and energies to its cultivation for thirteen years. At the end of that time he traded the property for sixty-six and a half acres of fine farming land on the Jersey Ridge road, where he likewise carried on his agricultural interests energetically and successfully for about thirteen years. He then sold the place and bought his present property on Prairie street in Davenport, where he has since lived retired without recourse to further labor.

On the 14th of February, 1866, Mr. Schroeder was united in marriage to Miss Lena Miller, by whom he had six children, namely: Louisa, who wedded Henry Leonard, of Rock Island, Illinois, and has one child - Charles; August, who follows farming near Walcott, Iowa, and who is married and has eight children; William, who wedded Miss Mary Seaman and resides in Davenport; Emma; Edward, at home; and Albert, living in Davenport, who is married and has one child. The wife and mother was called to her final rest on the 30th of November, 1909, when she had attained the age of seventy-two years, six months and nine days.

Mr. Schroeder has made his home in Scott county for more than four decades and is widely recognized as one of its substantial and esteemed citizens. The hope that led him to leave his native land and seek a home in America has been more than realized. He found the opportunities he sought, which, by the way, are always open to the ambitious, energetic man - and making the best of these he has steadily worked his way upward.

 Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Henry Schroeder

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co 1910 Chicago

It is meet that when one is well advanced in years the opportunity should come to put aside the more arduous cares of active business life and rest from further labor. In youth energy and ambition are dominant and in mature years these are guided by that wisdom which comes through experience and appreciation of surrounding conditions. If one's opportunities are wisely used success follows and a competence for the evening of life is secured. Such has been the record of Henry Schroeder, formerly well known as a merchant of Davenport but now living retired.

He was born near Hamburg, in Holstein, Germany, December 22, 1831, and is a son of John H. and Margaret Schroeder. The father served in the war with France, and Detlef Schroeder, a brother of our subject, was in the Holstein-Denmark war of 1850, giving his life in defense of the principles in which he believed during the progress of that struggle. The father was a farmer and brewer in his native country, where both he and his wife spent their entire lives.

Henry Schroeder acquired his education in the schools of Germany and afterward served in the Danish army from 1853 to 1855. He then began learning the brick-mason's trade, but the favorable reports which he heard concerning the business conditions and opportunities in America led him to the determination to establish his home on this side of the Atlantic. It was in 1857 that he heard and heeded the call of the western world and boarding a sailing vessel spent thirty-two days on the water ere he landed at New York. He did not remain in the east, however, but came direct to Davenport with a party of friends, with whom he had crossed the Atlantic and who had friends in this city. In his native country Mr. Schroeder had learned the brick-mason's trade and on reaching Davenport began working at his trade, which he followed for about two years, his first work being on the sewer on Iowa street. He afterward assisted in building the schoolhouse at Bettendorf, then Gilberttown, which is still standing. Subsequently he went to engaged on a store for Mr. Becker and, remaining in Le Claire, he worked in the store for Mr. Becker, thus gaining his first experience along mercantile lines. He spent three years in that way and gained valuabel knowledge of the methods of managing commercial interest.

While in Le Claire Mr. Schroeder was married November 20, 1860, after which he returned to Davenport with his wife and has since made this city his home. He first entered the employ of Beiderbecke & Moeller in the wholesale and retail grocery business and was with them for five years, when he had opportunity for making a forward step by engaging in business on his own account. Removing to the corner of Third and Fillmore streets he took charge of a grocery store there with Henry Brandt as a partner. In 1868 they purchased the store of Kasper Foster and conducted the business until 1903, when Mr. Schroeder sold his interest in the grocery and retired. After about ten years in the trade he and his partner purchased the property which they had previously rented.

Various enterprises in time claimed the attention of Mr. Schroeder, who for twenty-two years conducted stockyards and was connected with a large number of industrial and commercial concerns. He was also one of the directors of the Iowa National Bank for seventeen years after aiding in the organization and establishment of the bank. He then resigned but is still one of the directors of the Davenport Security Insurance Company, which he aided in organizing in 1889. His connection with business interests of Davenport has been of an important character and of far-reaching benefit to the city inasmuch as his labors have constituted an element in the promotion of commercial and financial activity. He has been quick to see and utilize advantages, recognizing the fact that the present and not the future holds his opportunity. He was also a stockholder in the glucose works and was one of the company to establish the Davenport Canning Factory, which was afterward changed to the manufacture of tin cans. He was one of the organizers of the Davenport Foundry & Machine shop, of which he is still a stockholder; was a stockholder in the Masonic Temple when it was erected; and also a stockholder in the Davenport Works Company, besides being interested in other industries.

As previously stated, it was on the 20th of November, 1860, that Mr. Schroeder wedded Miss Elizabeth Schwen, of Le Claire, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1834 and came to this country with a lady friend in 1856. By her marriage she became the mother of eight children; Henry A., of Seattle, Washington, who married Grace Rose and has one son, Frederick; Jennie, the wife of John Fahrner, of Davenport, and has one son, Waldo; Hugo, who is also living in this city; Pauline, deceased; Laura, who became the wife of Henry Kohrs, Jr., and died leaving a son, Robert; Lewis, deceased; John L., whose home is in British Columbia; and Amelia, the wife of William Hetzel, of Davenport, by whom she has one son, Wilbur. The death of Mrs. Schroeder occurred October 8, 1909, when she had reached the age of seventy-five years, eight months and two days.

Mr. Schroeder is a member of the Turners and of the German Shooting Society. He has always been a man of influence among Davenport's residents of his own nationality, nor has his leadership been confined alone to people of the Teutonic race. He has long been regarded as a man of sound judgment and keen discrimination and his opinions have carried weight in business circles and in matters relating to the public life of the city. There is no more loyal resident of Davenport than this adopted son, a man never so busy with private affairs as to neglect the duties of citizenship nor so concerned with public interests that his private business has suffered. In fact, he has been at all times a man of well balanced capacities and powers and his intelligently directed effort has given him place among the leading and influential citizens of Scott county.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Henry Schroeder

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Henry Schroeder is so situated that he enjoys the advantages of both country and city life, for his home farm is only about seven miles northeast of Davenport - a valuable farm of one hundred and seventeen and a half acres on section 33, Lincoln township. In addition to this tract he owns two hundred and forty acres on section 3 of the same township and his extensive realty holdings make him one of the well-to-do farmers of the county.

He was born October 21, 1860, in the township which is still his home, his parents being Claus and Catherine (Hagge) Schroeder, both of whom were natives of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, the father's birth having occurred July 24, 1830, while the mother was born August 23, 1832. The former came to the United States in 1854, arriving at New York, whence he made his way westward to Indiana. After a brief period there passed he removed to Scott county, Iowa, where for two years he was employed as a faarm hand and then entered into partnership with Hans Shuemann. Together they purchased eighty acres of land in Lincoln township and about a year later Claus Schroeder bought eighty acres on section 33, of the same township. He built a house thereon and removed to that farm, which was all prairie land. With characteristic energy, however, he began to cultivate the fields and as the years passed on gathered rich crops. Upon that place he resided from 1860 until 1874, when he purchased a part of the farm now occupied by Henry Schroeder and removed to that tract. During the time he lived on section 33, Lincoln township, he bought one hundred and sixty acres more adjoining and made all of the improvements upon the place, his labors transforming it into one of the very desirable farms of the district. He made it his home until about 1886, when he retired and removed to Davenport, Iowa, where his death occurred July 23, 1892. His widow survived him for about five years, passing away May 20, 1897. They were the parents of two children, but the younger, a daughter, died when only four years of age.

Henry Schroeder is today the only survivor of the family. He has spent almost his entire life in Lincoln township and after acquiring his preliminary education in the district schools he attended Duncan's Business College at Davenport. Subsequently he went west to California and Washington, where he remained for a few years, after which he returned to Scott county and was married, the lady of his choice being Miss Katie E. Mohr, a daughter of John and Katherine Mohr, of Davenport. Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder were married on the 4th of March, 1886, and have become parents of two daughters and two sons; Hattie, now the wife of Alexander L. Mulinax, of Cable, Wisconsin, by whom she has one child, Arletha; Harry at home; Edward, a student at Ames College; and Mabel, at home.

After his marriage Mr. Schroeder took his bride to the old home farm and has since occupied it. He carries on general farming and has made most of the improvements upon the place. The buildings are in a state of good repair, the latest improved machinery is used to facilitate the work of the fields, and annually rich corps are gathered as a reward for the care and labor of Mr. Schroeder. He is also an active factor in community interests and is now serving as county supervisor, to which office he was elected on the democratic ticket in 1906. He has held nearly all of the township offices, serving at different times as trustee, assessor, clerk and school director. He is a stockholder in the Davenport Malt & Grain Company and is a man of good judgment and enterprise, who recognizes and improves his opportunities. He is largely familiar with the history of the county, having for a half century resided within its borders, so that he has witnessed many of the events which have shaped its annals. Wherever known he is held in high esteem, and most of all where he is best known.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

schroederernst.jpg (91972 bytes)Ernst D. Schroeder

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Ernst D. Schroeder, who resides at 1103 West Fourteenth street, Davenport, began his life in this country very modestly, but through industry and frugality, guided by a laudable ambition, he achieved a marked success and is now the owner of two hundred and three acres of fine farm land in Davenport township.

He was born in Germany, September 22, 1839, his parents being John and Mary Schroeder, who spent their entire lives in the old country. In the land of his birth Ernst D. Schroeder was reared and in the schools there received a good education. When he put aside his text-books he engaged in agriculture, pursuing that calling until 1865, when he decided to come to the United States. He disembarked at New York but came almost immediately to Davenport, securing work in this city as a laborer. During the next ten years he toiled and saved, at the end of that period feeling that he was justified in renting a small farm in Black Hawk township. Later he bought ten acres in Davenport township, on which he made his home for the next eighteen years, and when he sold that place purchased the tact of two hundred and three acres which he owns at present. He had resided upon it only five years, however, when he decided to retire from active life. He had been a careful and thorough farmer, a man who knew how to obtain the best results from his labors.

In the fall of 1865 Mr. Schroeder was married to Miss Dora Steiger, a daughter of Carl Steiger, who never left his home in Germany. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder have been born two children. Ida became the wife of Gust Bandholtz, of O'Brien county, Iowa, and they have two children, Charles and Lillian. Clara became the wife of John D. Hammann and is the mother of one son, Walter. She makes her home with her father. Mrs. Schroeder departed this life March 24, 1907, at the age of sixty-five years and six months, mourned deeply by the members of her family and the circle of friends who knew her intimately. Mr. Schroeder has now rented his large farm and lives in the enjoyment of a generous income and the consciousness of years well spent.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

wadsworth.jpg (136057 bytes)William Cooke Wadsworth

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

William Cooke Wadsworth, deceased, was the organizer of the Citizens National Bank and a prominent figure in financial circles in Davenport, but was perhaps even more widely known in the development of extensive mercantile interests which constituted an important feature in commercial circles here. He was born June 27, 1826, in Litchfield, Connecticut, and at the usual age entered the public schools there, continuing his studies to the age of eighteen. He then went to New Haven and made his initial step in the business world by becoming connected with a dry-goods enterprise, with which he was associated until 1848. Macon, Georgia, was his next place of residence and he remained there in a similar line of business until 1855, when he came to Davenport. This city was then comparatively small and of little commercial and industrial importance. Mr. Wadsworth became an active factor in its substantial advancement and in its natural and healthy expansion in the lines fo commercial activity. He opened a retail dry-good store at No. 127 West Second street and such was the success of the original undertaking that he soon afterward established a second store in Rock Island, Illinois. Both enterprises proved profitable from the beginning and in 1861 he opened a wholesale house, conducting the three stores in a successful manner until 1868. He then disposed of the retail stores and thereafter devoted his entire attention to the large wholesale business at Nos. 109, 111 and 113 East Second street. Untiring and of persistent purpose, full of ambition and of progressive, modern ideas, he carefully formulated his plans and carried them forward to successful completion, building up his enterprise upon sound business principles until it was second to none in the city in the extent and character of the trade enjoyed by the house. At the outset of his career he adopted certain business policies, the value of which were demonstrated in his success. He never made engagements which he did not keep nor incurred obligations which he did not meet; he regarded no detail as too unimportant to receive his attention and he demanded on the part of his representatives a uniform courtesy and consideration of all patrons. He won the allegiance of his employes by his fair and just treatment of them and his recognition of their worth by promotion as opportunity offered. In the conduct of his business he held to high standards in the personnel of the house, in the line of goods carried and in the relations to the public. Mr. Wadsworth was also interested in various other business enterprises, many of which profited by the stimulus of his cooperation and the adoption of his sound business principles. He became one of the organizers of the Citizens National Bank, was a director for nearly forty years and for two years acted as its president.

On the 26th of October, 1859, Mr. Wadsworth was married to Miss Anna Mitchell, of Rock Island, and they became parents of four children: William M., Henry T.; Mary Hall and Walter C., who died in early life. Mr. Wadsworth was preeminently a man of domestic tastes, devoted to his family, and he also held friendship inviolable. He attended the services of the Congregational church. His political allegiance was given to the democracy and to him would have been accorded high political honors had he not continually refused to become an active participant in politics as an office holder. Several times he refused the candidacy for mayor, although his fellow townsmen urgently requested him to accept the office, knowing that he would give to the city a businesslike and progressive administration, free from misrule and the domination of selfish interests. He was very firm and positive in his beliefs and unequivocal in the expression of his sentiments, yet he accorded to others the privilege which he reserved to himself of forming and supporting unbiased opinions. He worked harder than any other man to raise money for the new bridge across the river and it was mainly owing to his efforts that this enterprise was carried to a successful termination. He was a great reader, finding delight in literature and scientific research, and thus his intellectual forces were being continually augmented. He educated many young men in his employ to be expert business men and when the occasion was timely frequently gave to them friendly and valuable advice. He died at Indianapolis, Indiana, February 12, 1907, when on his way to the south, and Davenport's loss was a great one because of his marked business enterprise, his public-spirited devotion to the general good and his worth as a man. His record was an honor to the city which honored him and it would be difficult to find a resident of Davenport who was more uniformly beloved.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

vilmontmr.jpg (68473 bytes) vilmontmrs.jpg (60537 bytes)J.H. Vilmont

From History of Davenport and Scott County, Vol. 2" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Despite the fact of his advancing years and the large measure of success which has come to him J. H. Vilmont has been unable to abandon the life of a farmer, which he has pursued in Scott county for so many years. He operates a tract of sixty-five acres in Allens Grove township, adjoining the farm on which he was reared.

A native of Lorraine, France, he was born May 14, 1851, his parents being Maurice and Eugena (Gaspard) Vilmont. The father, who was also a native of Lorraine, France, was a son of Francis and Marie Theresa (Ponel) Vilmont, who spent their whole lives in the country of their birth. Indeed, only one of their nine children, seven boys and two girls, came to America to make his fortune.

Maurice Vilmont, whose birth occurred July 15, 1825, came to Scott county, Iowa, immediately upon landing in this country in 1854. He was accompanied by his wife and son and took up his residence in Davenport, which he made his home for a few years, removing later to Clinton county, where he lived for a period of seven or eight years. In 1865 he located on the farm in Allens Grove township on which he resided until 1903, adjoining that of his son J. H. He had learned the trade of a stone-mason in the old country and worked at it for some time after his arrival here, both in Davenport and in Allens Grove township, where his abilities were frequently called into requisition by the early settlers here. He owns one hundred and sixty acres on section 16, Allens Grove township, on the bank of the Wapsipinicon river and during the years of his activity earned a well deserved success from the cultivation of its fields. In 1902 he relinquished the heavy cares of life and retired, now living with his son. His wife, who was born February 16, 1824, died in Davenport in February, 1891, leaving one child, J. H. the subject of this sketch.

Since 1865 J. H. Vilmont has resided in Scott county, coming here with his parents when located in Allens Grove township, so that the greater part of his life has been spent here. He attended the public schools of this state, in which he obtained a fair education, although throughout the years he was studying he also helped his father upon the farm. He assumed the responsibility of its cultivation when advancing age made it necessary for the father to resign the heavier cares. In 1903 the son bought another tract of one hundred and twenty acres in Allens Grove township, on which he resided until March, 1909, when he sold eighty acres of it and purchased sixty-five acres adjoining the old homestead, on section 17. Here he pursues general farming with good success for he is progressive as well as industrious, sparing no effort of his own to enhance the value of the property or increase its productiveness.

In 1872 Mr. Vilmont was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Flynn, who was born in New York state, July 9, 1853. About three years later she came to Scott county, Iowa, with her parents, Michael and Mary (Leary) Flynn, who were of Irish birth. They passed the remainder of their lives here. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Vilmont: Marie, now the wife of James McNie, of California; Maurice J., who is living in Allens Grove township; Sylvia, the wife of Adolph Michael, of Nebraska; Victor H., of Grundy Center, Iowa; Katharine, the wife of John Wuestenberg, of Allens Grove township; Simon, who is living in South Dakota; Esther, at home; Vivian V., of South Dakota; and Isadore, who is at home. Mr. Vilmont has the good will of his fellow agriculturists for he has proved himself a good farmer and a man capable of fulfilling his duties in life with honor.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Ira R. Tabor

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Ira R. Tabor, who for eighteen years has been a representative of the Davenport bar and now with a large practice is giving proof of his ability in handling the intricate problems of the law, was born in Jones county, Iowa, September 4, 1864. His father, James Tabor, a native of Indiana, came to Davenport in 1849, arriving in this state only a few years after its admission to the Union. He crossed the river on the ice in company with two brothers and went to Jones county, where he took up government land and there engaged in farming until his death on the 7th of April, 1887. In his farming operations he met with success and became a large landowner, having a section and a half of land. He wisely placed his surplus earnings in the safest of all investments - real estate - and his business enterprise and diligence brought him to a prominent position among the men of affluence of the county. A leading and influential citizen in his community, he held a number of township offices and at all times was loyal to the public trust. He married Miss Margaret Keller, a native of Indiana, in which state the wedding was celebrated. Her birth occurred October 11, 1828, and on the 17th of April, 1899, she passed away.

Ira R. Tabor was the fifth in order of birth in a family of six children. He attended the country schools while spending his youthful days upon the home farm and afterward had the opportunity of continuing his education in the schools of Monmouth, Illinois, and Maquoketa, Iowa. Later he pursued a classical course in the University of Indiana and prepared for a professional career as a law student in the State University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, from which institution he was graduated on the 26th of June, 1891. He then came to Davenport and entered the law office of J. W. Stewart, to whose practice he succeeded upon the death of Mr. Stewart in 1894. He is well versed in the principles of jurisprudence and is always accurate in their application to the points in litigation. The zeal and earnestness with which he controls his law business, the careful regard evinced for his clients' interests and his close and discriminating logic in the discussion of a case before court or jury are elements in the success which has attended him from the beginning.

Mr. Tabor is active in public affairs but is not an office seeker, preferring to give his attention to the law and to investments. He is, however, well known in the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Trinty Lodge, No. 208, A. F. & A. M.; Davenport Chapter, No. 17, R. A. M.; St. Simon of Cyrene Commandery, No. 9, K. T.; Davenport Consistory, No. 4, S. P. R. S.; and Kaaba Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is likewise affiliated with other societies, whose basic principles are such as win the respect and approval of all who have regard for honorable, upright manhood.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Henry Christian Struck

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Henry Christian Struck, Jr., whose connection with financial interests in Davenport has been of signal benefit to the city, is now one of the managing board of the Clearing House, and such has been his experience and study in the field of finance that his opinions have in large measure become regarded as authority upon financial problems. He is a representative of the progressive type of German citizens who, seeking the opportunities of the new world, have not only won individual advancement but have contributed as well to general progress and improvement. He was born at Seelent, in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, August 20, 1853, the eldest son in a family of eight children, whose parents were Henry Christian and Johanna Dorathea Sophia (Strellner) Struck. In the year 1855 the father started with his family for the United States, arriving at New Orleans in October. The ensuing winter months were there passed and in May, 1856, they ascended the Mississippi river to Davenport, where they remained for a brief period, after which they tookup their abode upon a farm in Cleona township, Scott county.

On the old homestead there Henry Christian Struck of this review spent his boyhood, acquiring his preliminary education in the district schools, while at the age of twelve years he became a pupil in a private school at Davenport, where he had better opportunities to study German and other languages and also pursue special courses which were not then taught in country schools. He likewise pursued special courses in mathematics and civil engineering at Professor Thompson's Institute and in order to gain further knowledge bearing directly upon business life he entered Bryant & Stratton Commercial College on November 1, 1869. He was graduated therefrom May 14, 1870, and on the 18th of May he joined the United States Hydrographical Engineer Corps, with which he was connected until the close of the season, December 1, 1870. On the 1st of the following January he became bookkeeper in the employ of August Steffen, a grain and produce dealer, with whom he remained until Mr. Steffen retired from business on the 1st of August, 1872. At that time Mr. Struck entered the employ of George Ott & Company, wholesale dealers in sash, doors and blinds, in the capacity of bookkeeper and traveling salesman, filling the position until October 1, 1875, when at the offer of August Steffen, his former employer, who was then one of the largest stockholders of the Davenport Plow Company, he became bookkeeper for that concern, remaining with the company until January 1, 1878, when at the advice of his physician he resigned to seek employment more conductive to his health, which had suffered in the close confinement of office work.

On the 1st of June, 1878, Mr. Struck entered upon an independent venture by purchasing the interest of the junior partner in the hardware business of Werner & Brammer, at No. 309 West Second street. The firm of Werner & Struck maintained an existence until January 1, 1880, when Henry C. Struck, Sr., purchased Mr. Werner's interest and carried on the business under the firm style of Henry C. Struck & Son until October 25, 1885, at which date the entire business was sold to W. P. Bissell, Mr. Struck, Jr., however, remaining with the new firm until March, 1886.

Henry C. Struck became connected with city service at the solicitation of his many friends, including a number of the most prominent people of Davenport. They requested him to become a candidate for city collector and on the 7th of April, 1886, he was appointed by the city council to that position, which he continued to fill until January 1, 1890. No more capable incumbent has ever occupied the office, his efficient service winning the commendation of his colleagues, associates and of the general public. So capably did he discharge his duties that he was nominated and elected to the office of county treasurer in the fall of 1889, assuming the duties of the position on the 1st of January following. His efficiency during his first term led to reelection and when the votes were counted it was found that he received every vote cast in Cleona township, the place of his boyhood, not a single ballot being cast against him even by the opposition party. He continued in charge of the public exchequer until January 1, 1894, when he retired from the office as he had entered it - with the confidence and regard of all concerned.

In September, 1892, Mr. Struck was prevailed upon to accept the position of cashier and secretary of the Davenport Savings Bank, a position offered him by the bank directors, all of whom were his personal friends and had informed themselves as to his ability as an officer and accountant. His previous training in the city service, as well as in business lines, enabled him to creditably discharge the duties that now devolved upon him and on the 7th of January, 1895, he was elected by the stockholders of the Davenport Savings Bank to the directorate of that institution, and on the organization of the Davenport Clearing House, September 1, 1895, he was chosen a member of the managing board and has so continued to the present time, covering a period of fifteen years.

On the 12th of October, 1878, Mr. Struck was married in this city to Miss Johanna Wessel, a daughter of Dr. H. Wessel, Sr., and they became parents of four children, Alice B., Kuno H., Wally and Henry W., but Alice and Wally died in infancy. Kuno H. Struck, born in Davenport, October 4, 1883, was educated in the public schools and was graduated from the high school with valedictorian honors in 1902. He afterward entered the Iowa State University and was graduated from the medical department in 1906. He afterward spent a season with his cousin, Dr. Arp of Moline, putting his theoretical knowledge to the practical test. In December, 1906, he began practice in Davenport. While in the university he had made a specialty of the study of bacteriology and pathology and had also taught in those branches. He is a member of all the various medical societies and of the Turners Society and other social organizations.

Politically H. C. Struck is a democrat, supporting the party since casting his first presidential ballot for Samuel J. Tilden. He belongs to the Davenport Turner Society, which he joined April 11, 1872, and on the 1st of January, 1897, he received a diploma as honorary member in recognition of his twenty-five years' connection therewith. On the 1st of May, 1892, he became a Master Mason of Fraternal Lodge, No. 221, A. F. & A. M., and for ten years filled the office of treasurer. As a financier he has always counseled a safe and conservative policy rather than that progressiveness which tend toward risk, and his clear insight and sound judgment have constituted valuable factors in the solution of various problems which are continually arising in financial circles. A man of well balanced capacities and powers, correctly judging life's contacts and experiences, his ability has carried him into important public relations and the simple weight of his character has won him the honor and respect of all with whom he has been associated.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

William Steward Bio

From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

William Steward, a retired farmer living at No. 1405 LeClaire street in Davenport, has been enjoying well earned rest since the spring of 1889, but for many years previously was actively engaged in general agricultural pursuits and at one time owned 480 acres of rich and productive land in Allens Grove township. His birth occurred in County Norfolk, England, on December 1, 1827, his parents being James and Frances (Green) Steward. The father, a farmer and horse trader, died when his son William was but four years of age. The mother's demise occurred in Scott county, Iowa, and her remains were interred at Allens Grove.

William Steward attended a private school in England until thirteen years of age and after putting aside his text-books learned the trade of wagon making. In the fall of 1850, when a young man of about twenty-three years, he crossed the Atlantic to the United States in company with his mother and wife, having been married three weeks previously. They reached New York about November 20th with one shilling in cash, two good watches, and some silver spoons, which they sold in order to obtain sufficient money to take them to Rochester. There Mr. Steward worked at the carpenter's trade for six years, on the expiration of which period he came to this county, reaching Davenport in the fall of 1857. Here he was employed as a carpenter by Thomas McClellan, his first work being in connection with the construction of what is now the First National Bank. He followed that trade until 1860, and his last work as a carpenter was on the county poorhouse in the employ of John Hornby. In 1860 he rented a tract of prairie land in Allens Grove township where the town of Donahue now stands, and all that he possessed on starting out as a farmer was a good team. The man who owned the property built a house thereon and for four years Mr. Steward leased the place, which embraced a quarter section of land. About 1868 he bought the farm and as his financial resources increased he extended its boundaries by additional purchases from time to time until he owned 480 acres of land. He successfully carried on his agricultural interests there for a period of twenty-nine years, or until the spring of 1889, when, having accumulated a handsome competence by reason of his well directed labor and good management, he put aside the work of the fields and has since lived retired in Davenport.

On the 26th of September, 1850, Mr. Steward was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Taylor, a daughter of George Taylor, who spent his entire life in England. They became the parents of seven children, namely: Sarah, who wedded George Dayton, of Clinton, Iowa, and has three sons - William, John and George; Elizabeth, who gave her hand in marriage to Jeremiah Binford, of Minnesota, and now has four children - Edna, George, Harry and Frank; Fannie, who wedded John Madden and who is now deceased, as is also her husband; George, who has likewise passed away and who had four children by his marriage to Martha Mickelwright; Christopher, residing in Allens Grove township, who married Miss Ethel Foster; Charles, who lives on the old home place and wedded Miss Naomi Snyder, by whom he has five children; and John T., who died when about a year old. The wife and mother passed away on December 29, 1901, when sixty-nine years of age, her birth having occurred May 3, 1832. On September 9, 1903, Mr. Steward was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Delilah Burch, the widow of Henry Burch.

Mr. Steward gives his political allegiance to the republican party and during almost the entire period of his residence in Allens Grove township he served as either road supervisor or school director, discharging his official duties in a prompt and capable manner. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Congregational church, in which he is serving as a deacon. He joined the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Dixon in 1873, now belongs to lodge No. 321 at Davenport and has held all the offices. He has now passed the eighty-second milestone on life's journey, and for more than a half century has made his home within the borders of Scott county. Coming to America in early manhood empty handed and unknown, he faced conditions which would dishearten many a man of less resolute and determined spirit. However, he possessed heroic qualities in his determination to win success and as the years have gone by he has not only carved out a comfortable fortune for himself, but has also made an honored name, his record winning for him the confidence, good will and admiration of those who know him.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

sindtthies.jpg (87255 bytes)Thies Sindt

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

After a career characterized by industry and thrift it is the happy lot of Thies Sindt, one of Davenport's retired citizens to spend the evening of life free from pecuniary cares and removed from commercial strivings, amid the comforts and refinements of an attractive home which his former efforts have given to him. Like so many of Scott county's adopted citizens he is a native of Holstein, his birth having occurred there November 19, 1824, his parents being Hans and Anna Sindt. The former, a timber overseer, came to the United States in 1854, his son having preceded him by a number of years, but he was permitted to enjoy his new home only for the short period of four years, his death occurring in 1858.

Thies Sindt obtained his education in the public schools whose excellence so materially adds to Germany's high standing among the nations. Then, in the custom of the country, he set about him to learn a trade, his choice falling upon the tinner's trade. When a little past his majority he decided to cast his fortunes on this side of the Atlantic and June 21, 1847, he arrived in New Orleans, coming up the Mississippi river to Davenport. Here he speedily secured work in a tinner's shop and continued to follow that occupation until 1854, when he became a landholder, buying an eighty acre tract in Davenport township. No easy lot confronted him for the land was unbroken prairie and it was necessary to expend great labor upon it before it could be brought to a cultivable condition. Nothing daunted, Mr. Sindt proceeded to do this and in the following year built a house and went there to live. As opportunity and means presented he bought more land and now owns one hundred and twenty acres in Davenport township, two hundred acres in Benton county, Iowa, and six hundred and forty in Ida county, this state, these making him one of Davenport's extensive property owners. His residence on his Scott county farm extended over nearly half a century, in which time he witnessed most remarkable changes and did his share toward the growth and progress.

In recognition of his public spirit and trustworthiness Mr. Sindt was made school director and served so efficiently that he held the office for twenty-five years. He was also a member of the board of supervisors. In 1900 he concluded that advanced years justified his giving up active life and he retired and came to Davenport, where he owns a fine home at 1506 South street.

In February, 1850, in the early days of his life in Davenport, Mr. Sindt was united in marriage to Miss Able Stoltenberg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hans Stoltenberg, German people, who were among Scott county's pioneer settlers. Nine children were born to this union. Henry, deceased, married Trena Horst and was the father of three children, August, Clara and Alma. Minnie is at home. William, residing in Algona, Iowa, married Ella Bey and has two children, Nora and Elsie. Theodore married Anna Brauch and lives in Davenport. He has two children, Howard and Erwin. Meta is at home. Herman B., a resident of Walcott, married Anna Wiese and has a family of five children, Hilda, Velma, Norma, Arnold and Alfred. Lewis E. married Mary Soering and lives on the old homestead. Clara C. married Henry Arp, of Davenport. The youngest child died in infancy. Mrs. Sindt passed to her reward in 1872 at the age of forty-eight years.

Mr. Sindt's interests are not limited to the supervision of his property. He is a stockholder in the German Savings Bank of Davenport and the Savings Bank of Walcott. Socially he is affiliated with the Society of Old German Settlers. His long life has been its own reward, for now wearing his years with ease and dignity, he has time and means to spend his remaining days in the cultivation of the finer things of life and in the society of children, grandchildren and the friends, of whom he possesses fully his share.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Celtic Cousins A Little Bit of Ireland The Irish in Iowa Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles Other Family Ties