Scott Co, Iowa USGenWeb Project

baker.jpg (29634 bytes)Mrs. Emma Baker Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Baker, Lodge, Draper, Granville, Hoover, Bills.

 One of the attractive farms of Davenport township is the one hundred and
seventy acres which Mrs. Emma Baker operates with the assistance of her sons
and which represents the good management and foresight of its owner. She is
a daughter of John and Charlotte (Lodge) Draper and was born in Naunton,
Gloucestershire, England, September 21, 1846. Her father, whose birth
occurred in 1814, and her mother, who was born 1811, came to the United
States about the middle of the last century. They made their way to Iowa
almost immediately after landing, settling first in Pleasant Valley and then
removing to the vicinity of Davenport, where they secured a tract of farm
land, which remained their home until the death of the father in 1878. The
mother survived until 1899.

 Mrs. Emma Baker attended the public schools of Davenport township,
receiving a good education. On the 21st of February, 1866, she gave her hand
in marriage to John Baker, who was the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas
Baker. He was born in England in 1843 and was about thirteen years of age
when his parents came to America. After settling in Iowa, he bought twenty
acres of land, on which his widow now lives, and started to raise sugar
cane. He was successful in this occupation, besides making a reputation for
himself through the manufacture of molasses, for he produced from amber cane
more of this food product than any of his neighbors. Mr. Baker, who was
highly regarded by his fellowmen, died October 8, 1886.

 Mr. and Mrs. Baker became the parents of nine children. Alice married
Truman Granville. They live at Omaha and have two sons, Stuart and Arthur.
Nellie became the wife of Charles Hoover. Oliver lives in Nebraska. Frank
lives in Davenport township, and Rose resides in Davenport. Florence became
the wife of Harry Bills and they have two daughters, Virginia and Mabel.
Bessie makes her home in Davenport. William and John are with their mother.
They operate the farm, which consists now of one hundred and seventy acres,
for after the death of her husband Mrs. Baker believed it a prudent thing to
purchase one hundred and fifty acres of land. She has had no reason to
regret her investment, for the land is rich, and, being tilled carefully and
in accordance with scientific methods, is producing rich returns for her
thought and the labor of her sons. While she has displayed fine business
ability she has also reared her family well and inculcated into them noble
qualities of character.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

hamannmrmrs.jpg (92763 bytes)John H. Hamann Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Hamann, Neilsen, Tackmann, Grell, Leptien.

 A valuable farming property of two hundred and sixty acres in Sheridan
township is the result of what John H. Hamann has accomplished since coming
to America, for he possesses the industry, thrift and perseverance so
characteristic of the German race. He was born in Holstein, Germany,
September 18, 1834, a son of Henry and Dorothy Hamann. The father served in
the army and followed the occupation of farming as a life work. He passed
away in Germany but his wife, who emigrated to the United States about 1863,
died in this country in 1886.

 From the reports which came to John H. Hamann in his early manhood, he was
convinced that America offered better opportunities to the ambitious young
man than did his own country, and accordingly, after he had completed his
studies and was ready to start out in the business world, he set sail for
the United States, the year 1857 witnessing his arrival in New York. From
that place he at once made his way to Scott county, where for five years he
was employed at farm labor. He then established a home of his own by his
marriage, after which he located in Davenport and engaged in teaming for
five years. However, farming seemed to appeal to him and accordingly he
rented at tract of land in Sheridan township, which he cultivated for six
years. During these years he had been successful, each year gathering good
crops, which brought to him a sum of money that enabled him to purchase one
hundred and sixty acres, which constitutes a portion of his present acreage.
Locating on his newly acquired possessions, he at once began to further
improve and develop the place and now had a fine country residence,
surrounded with substantial barns and outbuildings. He has since added one
hundred acres, all of which is in a cultivable state. In addition to
carrying on general farming he raises shorthorn cattle and Poland China
hogs, and he is today accounted one of the leading farmers and stock-raisers
of Sheridan township.

 It was on the 31st of January 1863, that Mr. Hamann was married to Miss
Anna Neilsen, who came to the United States from Germany in 1862, making the
trip alone. She was born in Schleswig, Bredstedt, Germany, on the 28th of
May, 1837, a daughter of Dietrich and Cathrina (Tackmann) Neilsen. By her
marriage Mrs. Hamann has become the mother of two sons and two daughters.
Rosie is the wife of Julius Grell, of Allens Grove township, and they have a
daughter and son, Margaret and Carl. August, the second member of the
family, wedded Minnie Leptien and they reside on his father's farm. They
have four children: Leona, August, Luther and Elma. Augustus and Bertha are
still with their parents.

 Mr. Hamann gives stalwart support to the democratic party and on that
ticket was elected township trustee, which office he filled very acceptably
for six years. He has also been road supervisor and school director. He is
methodical and systematic in his work, as is apparent in the conduct of his
farm, all fields being platted and arranged so that the best results may be
obtained from the labor expended. The outbuildings and barns are also
arranged with a view to convenience and a glance at his attractive and well
kept place, which is located within three miles of Eldridge, is in itself a
lesson in thrift and industry.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Henry Schumacher, M. D. Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Schumacher, Heyer, Krabbenhoeft, Steffen.

 Among the worthy representatives of the medical profession in Walcott who
are meeting with success in their chosen life work is numbered Dr. Henry
Schumacher, who has also been closely identified with the public interests
of this city during the period covering his residence here. A native of
Illinois, he was born in Moline on the 23d of April, 1856, and is a son of
Henry A. and Helena M. (Heyer) Schumacher. The father, who was born in
Eutin, Germany, on the 24th of February, 1818, came to America in 1849, at
once going to California with a party of gold seekers. In 1852 he went to
Illinois, locating in Moline, where he was engaged in the butchering
business until 1869. In 1853, in Moline, he was united in marriage to Mrs.
Helena M. Heyer, who was also a native of Germany, her birth occurring in
Pretz on the 30th of August, 1817.

 For nine years Dr. Henry Schumacher of this review was a pupil in the
public schools of Moline, and then accompanied his father on a visit to
Germany, where, for two years he attended school in Eutin. Upon his return
from Germany he entered Griswold college in 1871, remaining there until
1873, and then went west, where for six years he was engaged in prospecting
and mining. The year 1879 witnessed his return home, after which he became a
student at the Iowa State University, from which he was graduated in the
spring of 1882. In the meantime he had pursued a medical course and during
the scholastic year 1881-82 had served as interne at Mercy Hospital, thus
receiving excellent practical training. After completing his college course
he returned to Moline and there took charge of the smallpox cases for the
county. He remained in that place for only two months, however, and then
went to Durant, where he followed his profession for nineteen years. On the
24th of December, 1899, he came to Walcott and has since made this place his
home, continuing in the practice of medicine to the present time. Since
opening up an office here he has gained a very large and representative
patronage which is constantly increasing in volume and importance, and he is
now numbered among the well known and prominent practitioners of this
county. He is not only thoroughly conscientious in the discharge of his
various duties, full recognizing the obligations that rest upon him in
connection with his chosen calling, but keeps in close touch with the work
of advancement and progress which is constantly being carried on in the
medical world, being a member of the American Medical Association, the Iowa
State Medical Society, the Scott County Medical Society, the Tri City
Medical Society and the Muscatine County Society of Physicians & Surgeons.
He has ever remained an earnest student, continually broadening his
knowledge by extensive reading and research, and everything that tends to
solve the mystery which we call life is of intense interest to him.
 Dr. Schumacher has been twice married. In 1883 he wedded Miss Laura
Krabbenhoeft, who only lived for three months, however, and in 1884 he chose
as his second wife Miss Rosa Steffen. The marriage has been blessed with two
children, namely: Henry Walter, attending school in Moline; and Helena M., a
resident of Durant. Dr. Schumacher is well known in fraternal circles,
holding membership in Doric Lodge, No. 319, A. F. & A. M., of Moline;
Zarepath Consistory of Davenport; Knights of Pythias lodge, No. 312, of
Walcott; Walcott lodge, No. 3479, M. W. A.; the royal Neighbors; and the
Fraternal Order of Eagles. In all of these organizations he is active and

 Although he has attained a high place in his profession in this community,
Dr. Schumacher is almost equally well known because of his deep and helpful
interest in public affairs. Stalwart in his allegiance to democratic
principles, during his residence in Durant he was mayor of that city for two
terms, also served as coroner of Cedar county for two terms and like wise
was pension examiner under President Cleveland. His fellow citizens in
Walcott have also recognized his ability and worth and have called him to
important offices of honor, electing him mayor of the town, in which office
he served during the years 1905-6-7. He has also been school director and is
at present acting as justice of the peace, and in all instances has proven
himself a very capable and efficient official, thoroughly justifying the
faith placed in him by his fellow townsmen.

 Dr. Schumacher is the owner and proprietor of Castle Hall, the lodge
building of Walcott, and has gained considerable prominence throughout the
locality as an enthusiastic relic hunter, having in his possession some very
interesting articles. He is the owner of a very valuable museum containing
hundreds of Indian relics of all kinds, and also has a rare collection of
stamps presented to him by a Danish prince, Ferdinand of Glucksburg, of
which he is justly proud. He is likewise the possessor of a very fine
collection of coins, containing thousands of pieces, some of which are
hundreds of years old.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Albert Klindt Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Klindt, Sindt, Jurgens, Kuhrt, Bruhn.

 Albert Klindt, proprietor of the Hotel Donahue, at Donahue, Iowa, was born
in Maysville, this county, October 2, 1877, a son of Henry and Cecelia
(Sindt) Klindt. The father has long been known as one of the prominent
citizens of Maysville and Hickory Grove township, being a man of public
spirit whose influence was ever exerted in behalf of public improvements.
Indeed, he was one of the original directors and organizers of the Donahue
Saving Bank and was instrumental in bringing that concern to a substantial
financial footing. Five children were born to him and his wife: Meta, who is
now the wife of William Jurgens, a merchant of New liberty, this county;
Albert, the subject of this sketch; Hertha, who died at the age of two
years; Henry, Jr., of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work; and
Grover Cleveland, who died in infancy.

 Albert Klindt remained in Maysville with his parents until he was
twenty-one years of age, when he began his business career. He received his
early education in the public schools there, later attending the free school
in Davenport for one year and completing his studies at Duncan's Business
College. When he sought a position in the commercial world he found
employment first as bookkeeper with the Davenport Ice Company, with whom he
remained for one year. He went next to the German Savings Bank, of
Davenport, holding a position in the mortgage department of that concern for
two years. At the end of that period he entered the employ of Armour &
Company as stock clerk at Freeport, Illinois, and at the end of three months
was transferred to Galesburg, that state, where he held the position of
cahier. Shortly afterward, however, he resigned that position although he
again entered their employ as a traveling man, going to St. Louis, Missouri,
at the time of the world's fair there. When his work there was accomplished
he was sent to Shreveport, Louisiana, but owing to ill health he was
compelled to leave that section of the country, thereupon he retuned to
Scott county and took up his residence with his parents. On the 1st of
January, 1906, he assumed the management of the Donahue Hotel, which his
father owned and which he has since operated with success. In connection
with the hotel, he has a saloon and dance hall, the latter being a popular
resort in Allens Grove township. Mr. Klindt has other business interests,
for he succeeded his father as director of the German Savings Bank here and
is also an extensive shipper of poultry. He possesses unquestioned ability
and has won a deserved success from his operations.

 On the 22d of October, 1905, Mr. Klindt was united in marriage to Miss
Kuhrt, who was born in Buffalo township, this county, August 12, 1881. Her
parents, Herman and Emma (Bruhn) Kuhrt, were natives of Holstein, Germany,
and upon coming to America settled in Buffalo township, which is still their
home. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Klindt have been born two sons: Roland, and Henry,
who is the third to bear that family name. One of the younger business men
of his township, Mr. Klindt is also one of the more progressive, and in
recognition of his success enjoys the respect of those who know him.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

F. Esbin Smith Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Smith, Fox, Graper.

 F. Esbin Smith, superintendent of the Bettendorf Axle Company and a young
man of more than usual ability, was born in Lima, Ohio, April 2, 1880, a son
of Frank C. and Jennie (Fox) Smith, also natives of that state. As the
father was made general foreman of the Fort Wayne car shops and continued in
that position many years, the family removed to Fort Wayne when F. Esbin
Smith was a boy. No longer filling that position, the elder Mr. Smith now
resides in Cleveland, Ohio, and is connected with the New York Central

 After taking a public-school course, F. Esbin Smith entered the employ of
S. F. Bowser & Company, of Fort Wayne, as an apprentice machinist and later
as special apprentice in the car department of the Pennsylvania road. After
learning his trade the young man remained with the Pennsylvania people
working up to assistant general car inspector of the northwest system in
which position he had charge of the inspection of all new passenger and
freight cars built at car manufacturing companies. However, he was very
ambitious, and in 1906 he secured a position of chief inspector of the
Bettendorf Steel Car Company, and located in Davenport. Early in 1908 he
became assistant shop superintendent of the Bettendorf Axle Company and in
1909 was promoted to superintendent.

 In December, 1907, Mr. Smith married Elizabeth Graper, a member of a
cultured Kentucky family. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have a pleasant home here where
their many friends are sure of being suitably entertained.

 So many of the men in charge of various departments in Davenport are still
young in years, although thoroughly experienced. It appears to be the desire
of the heads of the various institutions to secure young men, believing that
their energy, enthusiasm and new ideas will inject fresh blood and work out
for ultimate good. There are few men of his age who have accomplished more
in their appointed lines than Mr. Smith, who not only is fulfilling every
expectation of his company but has won the friendship of his men and
obtained from them the best results.

 During 1910 the Bettendorf Company did some extensive building, among which
is the new erecting shop, a building having three hundred and sixty thousand
square feet floor area. This building and the steel materials therein was
superintended by Mr. Smith and stands as the largest single building in the
world and is one of the sightseeing points of Davenport.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Joseph D. Barnes Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Barnes, Montcalm, Danforth, James, Van Sant, Lyman, Young.

 Joseph D. Barnes has for sixty-six years been a resident of Scott county,
nearly that entire period being passed in Le Claire. There are interesting
chapters in his life record, not the least of which is relative to his
service as a soldier of the Civil war. Moreover, he comes of an ancestry
that has always manifested the greatest loyalty to the country when warfare
has been in progress. His great-grandfather, Benjamin Barnes, at the age of
sixteen years became a soldier in Fort William Henry on Lake George, New
York, and when it was captured by General Montcalm he was among the number
who were made prisoners of war. However, he succeeded in making his escape
and reached the American lines in safety. His early experiences proved an
excellent training school for his military service about twenty years later,
when he became a captain of the American troops in the war of the
Revolution, participating in the battles of Lexington, Bunker Hill and other

 Elijah Barnes, a son of Captain Benjamin Barnes, was a resident of the
state of New York, where he remained until the outbreak of the war of 1812,
in the battle of Plattsburg. He was afterward ordered to Niagara and engaged
in the battle of Plattsburg. He was afterward ordered to Niagara and engaged
in the battles of Lundy's Lane and Chippewa. His health failing, he was
granted a furlough that he might return home. He started but had proceeded
only as far as Greenbush, New York, when he was sent to a hospital and soon
afterward died leaving a widow and six children.

 Dennis Barnes, son of Elijah Barnes, was born in Essex county, New York,
December 22, 1806, and at the age of nineteen years left home, going to New
York city, where he shipped on an outward bound vessel for the East Indies.
He followed the life of a sailor for seven years, after which he went to New
Orleans and engaged in the steamboat business in the Cincinnati and New
Orleans and engaged in the steamboat business in the Cincinnati and New
Orleans trade. To that business he devoted his energies for nine years. In
1836 he married Emily Danforth, of Cincinnati, and unto them were born four
children: Norman L., Albert A., Joseph D. and Laura A. He was one of the
early pioneers of Scott county, to which he made his way in 1842, entering
land from the government. In 1844 he removed his family to his claim,
whereon he spent much of his life. He died, however, in Davenport at the
Fejvery (sic) Home at the age of ninety-two years.

 Joseph D. Barnes, a son of Dennis and Emily Barnes, was born in the city of
Cincinnati, March 11, 1843, and was brought to Scott county by his parents
the following year, the family landing at Le Claire form the steamboat
Osprey. Since that time Joseph D. Barnes has resided almost continuously at
Le Claire. At the outbreak of the Civil war he was a young man of nineteen
years. His patriotic spirit was aroused by the attempt of the south to
overthrow the Union ad he enlisted as a private of Company K, Twentieth Iowa
Volunteer Infantry, to serve for three years during the war. He participated
in the battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, December 7, 1862, and for
meritorious conduct on the march and in battle he was promoted to the rank
of orderly sergeant. He also participated in the siege and capture of
Vicksburg, which capitulated July 4, 1863, and in the siege and capture of
Fort Morgan, Alabama, which was terminated September 6, 1864. He also aided
in the siege of Fort Blakely, Alabama, and the assault thereon on the 9th of
April, 1865. This was the last general engagement of the Civil war and for
good conduct and strict attention to duty he was commissioned first
lieutenant of his company. His record was a most creditable one,
characterized by unfaltering loyalty to the federal government. When the war
closed he returned home and for two years followed rafting on the river,
after which he turned his attention to farming near Post Byron, Illinois.
 In the year 1873 Mr. Barnes was united in marriage to Miss Florence E.
James, the eldest daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth James, of Le Claire. Unto
them have been born five children, namely: Raymond J., Fannie Albertine,
Laura Irne, Frank S. and Rolla T.

 In the year 1878 Mr. Barnes returned with his family to Le Claire, where he
has since made his home and is one of the respected residents there. He was
at one time commander of the Grand Army post and has always been an active
worker in the organization. He has recently been commissioned a special
aid-de-camp on the staff of S. R. Van Sant, commander-in-chief of the Grand
Army of the Republic, with the rank of colonel. He was a member of the town
council for twelve consecutive years and a member of the board of education
for six years. As a Scott county pioneer he takes great interest in the
early history of Le Claire and this section of the state and, being
possessed of a wonderful memory, he can recall events and happenings that
have long since largely been forgotten. He has watched with interest the
progress and events that have occurred and at all times has rejoiced in what
the county has accomplished.

 Raymond J. Barnes, the eldest son of Joseph D. and Florence E. Barnes, was
born near Post Byron, Illinois, November 12, 1874, and soon afterward the
family removed to Le Claire, where he lived with his parents until twenty
years of age, at which time he settled in Des Moines. On the outbreak of the
Spanish-American war he enlisted with Captain Frank Lyman of the Twelfth
United States Signal Corps and served for eleven months in Cuba. In the year
1904 he was united in marriage with Miss Bessie Young, of Des Moines, and
their two children are Jewell May and Raymond J., Jr. It will be seen that
each successive generation when the country has become involved in warfare
that the Barnes family has been loyal to the best interests of the nation
and has sought to give substantial proof of loyalty by active service in the

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

L.G. Egger

"From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

L. G. Egger, a button manufacturer of Buffalo, his native city, is the proprietor of the largest manufacturing plant in Buffalo township and occupies an important place in industrial circles of the community. His natal day was the 28th of February, 1884, his parents being M. and Mary (Willi) Egger, both natives of Switzerland, where the latter was born in 1845. The father came to Buffalo in 1877 and here engaged in the cooperage business for some time. In his family were seven sons and four daughters, of whom one brother of our subject is engaged in agricultural pursuits in Minnesota and another is a farmer residing in Colorado. The sisters are: Elizabeth, the deceased wife of Frank Moss, of Davenport; Anna, who married C. E. Reed, of Rock Island; Mary, residing in Buffalo; and Bessie, deceased.

Reared to manhood in the city of his nativity, L. G. Egger attended the public schools in the acquirement of his education, gaining a good knowledge of the various branches of English learning. The period of his boyhood was devoted to the duties of the school-room, the pleasures of the playground, and the tasks assigned to him by parental authority. Upon the completiion of his education in 1903, he entered the button manufacturing business in connection with his father, and in this line of activity has been most successful. With the passing of the years this enterprise has flourished, its business steadily but rapidly increasing in volume and importance until today it is the largest manufacturing industry in Buffalo. The plant which is owned by Mr. Egger is the largest in the township, twenty-two machines being in operation, and it is the only finishing plant in Buffalo. The factory turns out two hundred gross of finished and four hundred gross of unfinished product per day, the latter being taken to Muscatine for the finishing process. Most of the mussel shells from which the buttons are made are secured in the Illinois river, although a large number are found in the Mississippi near Buffalo. A man of keen discrimination and sound judgment, Mr. Egger's excellent business ability and good management have brought to the concern of which he is the head a large degree of success, and he is today recognized as one of the enterprising, progressive and representative business men of the township.

The religious views of Mr. Egger are indicated in his membership in the Buffalo parish Catholic church, while politically he casts his ballot in behalf of the best candidate of either party at the polls, although he has never desired nor sought to take any active part in polities. Having passed his entire life in Buffalo, covering a period of twenty-five years, he has become widely known throughout the community, where his circle of friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances. A young man, he possesses the enterprising spirit of the west, which has been the dominant factor in producing the wonderful development of this section of the country. Brooking no obstacles that honest effort can overcome, he has steadily worked his way upward in the business world until, having left the ranks of the many, he has already won a place among the successful few.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Louis Gollnitz

"From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Louis Gollnitz, a well known farmer of Liberty township, was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, July 16, 1868, a son of Fritz and Sophia (Frunt) Gollnitz. They spent their entire lives in the land of their birth and died when their son Louis was about twelve years of age. Six children were born to them. One died in infancy and the other five came to America about 1882. They were: Ricka, who became the wife of Fritz Benning of Davenport; Fritz, who died in Davenport in February, 1909, at the age of fifty-nine years, leaving two sons and two daughters; Chris, a resident of Davenport; Louis, the subject of this sketch; and Ida, who became the wife of Ernest Loraine, of Davenport.

Louis Gollnitz, who was about twelve years of age when he was left an orphan, remained for two more years in the fatherland, where he received his education. At the age of fourteen he and his brothers and sisters embarked upon their journey to America. They came directly to Scott county, where Louis Gollnitz obtained work upon a farm. After he had worked for others for about nine years, gaining experience in agriculture and familiarity with the customs and language of this country, he married and came to live upon the land where he now resides. It is a tract of one hundred and sixty acres belonging to his wife and is situated on section 31, Liberty township. Here he pursues general farming, winning a well deserved success from his labors. He has brought his farm to a high state of cultivation and has instituted many substantial improvements.

On the 24th of February, 1894, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Gollnitz and Miss Meta Arp, who was born in Davenport township, Scott county, October 15, 1871, her parents being Claus and Doris (Sienknecht) Arp. Her father was born in Holstein, Germany, August 23, 1827, while her mother was born near the city of Kiel, September 2, 1832. They came to this country about fifty years ago, settling in Davenprot, where they were married April 14, 1868. Mr. Arp bought a large amount of land, which was procured at a low price in those days, owning at one time five good farms, which amounted to seven hundred and forty acres. This property was the result of his own labors, for he came to America a poor boy, and it indicates with what success he operated his farm in the vicinity of Davenport. About fifteen years ago he felt he was justified in retiring from active life and, accordingly, took up his residence in Davenport, which is still his home. Mr. and Mrs. Arp are the parents of seven children: Theodore, who lives in Colorado; Hannes, who lives near West Liberty; Minnie, the wife of Julius Kuelper, of Walcott; Herman, who resides in Stockton, Muscatine county, Iowa; Meta, now Mrs. Gollnitz; Otto, who resides on the homestead near Davenport; and Delia, who lives with her parents. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Gollnitz have been born two children, Ray and Edna.

The early life of Mr. Gollnitz was one of many hardships and privations, but from his struggles he learned the lesson of industry and making the best use of his opportunities. In consequence he has attained a well earned success in his field of occupation and one of which he may be pardonably proud. Indeed, he deserves to be numbered among the numerous citizens of this land who wear with distinction the title of a self-made man.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

August H Lamp

"From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

August H. Lamp, a prominent agriculturist and leading citizen of Sheridan township, there owns and resides upon a valuable farm of two hundred and forty acres, which has remained his place of abode from his birth to the present time. He was born on the 28th of June, 1863, and is a representative of one of the old and prominent German-American families of Scott county, his parents being Asmus H. and Whipke (Kindt) Lamp. A sketch of the father, who is now living retired in Davenport, appears on another page of this volume.

In his youthful days August H. Lamp attended the district schools in the acquirement of an education and subsequently pursued a course at Duncan's Business College of Davenport. He early became familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist and has devoted his time and energies to the work of farming throughout his entire business career, now owning a tract of two hundred and forty acres of well improved and productive land in Sheridan township. In addition to raising the cereals best adapted to soil and climate, he is also engaged in feeding stock and both branches of his business return to him a gratifying annual income. A man of enterprise and excellent executive ability, he has likewise put forth his energies in other directions and is now one of the directors of the Eldridge Savings Bank and the president of the Farmers Elevator Company. The latter concern has ninety-seven local stockholders and was organized about a year ago with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars. Its officers are as follows: August H. Lamp, president; Gus Schneckloth, vice president; Julius Weise, secretary; and Joseph McDowell, treasurer. Mr. Lamp also acts as appraiser for the German Insurance Company of Scott county and is widely recognized as one of the prosperous, progressive and influential citizens of his community.

On the 22d of February, 1888, Mr. Lamp was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Fellener, a daughter of Henry and Margaret (Gertz) Fellener, who were early settlers of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Lamp now have four children, namely: Henry, Hilda, Frank and Francis, all of whom are still under the parental roof. They have been provided with liberal educational advantages.

Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Mr. Lamp has supported the men and measures of the republican party, believing that its principles are most conductive to good government. His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to various positions of public trust and he is now serving as a trustee of Sheridan township and likewise as president of the school board. He has also acted as the efficient incumbent in the office of road supervisor. Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Pythias, belonging to lodge No. 118 at Eldridge, Iowa. His entire life has been passed here and he is widely recognized as a straightforward and reliable business man and an enterprising, progressive citizen, who well merits the esteem that is universally accorded him.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Alonzo Bryson

"From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Alonzo Bryson, who since March, 1903, has served in the office of postmaster at Davenport, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on the 23, of July, 1840, his parents being Isaac and Jane (Kerr) Bryson, who were natives of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and Ohio respectively. When a youth the father removed to Ohio with his parents and spent the remainder of his life in that state and in Kentucky. Throughout his entire business career he was actively engaged as a captain and pilot. His demise occurred in Lawrence county, Ohio, in 1899, when he had attained the age of seventy-five years.

Alonzo Bryson obtained his education in the public schools of Cincinnati, Ohio, and Newport, Kentucky, likewise attended a private institution of learning and later pursued a course of study in a commercail school. In 1856 he became identified with river pursuits, and with the exception of a period of two or three years, followed steamboating continuously until 1876. In that year he came to Davenport as agent of the St. Louis & St. Paul Packet Company, acting in the capacity until 1890, when he turned his attention to the coal and grain business. He was thus successfully engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1897, when he was elected county recorder and for a period of six years capably discharged the duties devolving upon him in that connection. In March, 1903, he was appointed postmaster and in this office has likewise made a most creditable record, his efficiency and trustworthiness being widely acknowledged.

In October, 1861, Mr. Bryson was united in marriage to Miss Valeria M. Wright, a native of Ohio. Their children are four in number, as follows: Elmer E. who is a resident of Omaha, Nebraska; Robert H., who makes his home in Indianapolis, and is serving as postmaster there; May V., the wife of James J. Duffy, of St. Louis; and Pearl M., at home.

Mr. Bryson is a valued member of the Commercial and other clubs, and in 1903, served as president of the Business Association of Davenport. The period of his residence in Davenport now covers a third of a century and he is a most public-spirited and loyal citizen, giving his cooperation to every movement or measure which tends to promote the general welfare. In manner courteous and genial, he wins good will and kindly regard wherever he goes, and the circle of his friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

John T Noel

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

John T. Noel possesses the distinction of being the oldest living man born in Scott county, his birth having occurred in Davenport on the 27th of November, 1837. His father, Adam Noel, was a native of Pennsylvania, who, upon coming to the west, lived for a short time in Rock Island, and then in 1835 removed to Davenport. The mother, who before her marriage was Susanna Lindsey, was also a native of Pennsylvania and is still living at the advanced age of ninety-four years. Upon coming to Davenport Adam Noel bought the property upon which Mercy Hospital now stands and also entered a tract of land where Central park is now located, which is known as Noel's addition to the city. He was a progressive, public-spirited man, prominent in the life of the budding city, and first in every movement which had to do with its advancement. This good citizen passed on to his reward in 1872.

John T. Noel was educated in the subscription schools, which were an institution of the early days. He did not remain in Davenport but desiring to engage in agricultural pursuits took possession of a tract of land in Winfield township in 1856, which his father had purchased in 1855. Ninety acres of this was broken ground and the remainder Mr. Noel proceeded to put under cultivation by means of ox-teams. From that day to this he has continually improved his farm and has added to it from time to time until he now possesses five hundred and seventeen acres of most desirable property. He engaged throughout his active years in general farming but a few years ago retired for the enjoyment of a well earned leisure. It is a comment on the progress of the county that until 1861 Mr. Noel conveyed all his crops to the Davenport market by team.

In 1860 in Winfield township, Mr. Noel was untied in marriage to Miss Mary McGuire, a native of the state of New York. To this marriage eleven children were born, nine of whom are living. They are Joseph, of Winfield township; Celia, now Mrs. Navin, of Seattle, Washington; Stella, the wife of Mickel Wright; John T., of Butler township; William, of Winfield township; Rosalie, now Mrs. Doyle, of Davenport; Naomi and Elmer, both of whom are located in Seattle; and Edward, on the home farm. Mr. Noel has twenty-three grandchildren.

The household are devoted members of St. Ann's Catholic church, whose edifice Mr. Noel assisted in building. He is a stanch adherent of the democratic party, to which he has given a long and unfaltering loyalty. He has filled several public trusts among them that of township trustee. Noel's Station, the junction of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway and the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul was named in compliment to him. Like his father he is a man designed by nature to play a prominent part among his fellowmen, and he enjoys the respect of the community to whose prosperity he has materially contributed.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Ira L. Gifford Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Gifford, Lowrey, Webb, Lansing.

 Ira L. Gifford, now living retired in Davenport, was born in this city,
April 2, 1860. His father, Ira M. Gifford, was a native of the Empire state,
his birth occurring in Schlaghticoke, near Valley Falls, New York. He was a
farmer in the east, and, following his removal to Iowa about 1855, he came
to Davenport and invested extensively in lands in this state, improving his
opportunities to purchase at a low figure, for with keen foresight he
realized that with the settlement of the state the land must eventually rise
in value. As the years passed on the wisdom of his judgment was proven, and
he won a place among the men of affluence because of his previous wise
investments. Later he engaged in the banking business and became one of the
prominent citizens of this section of the state. For a great many years he
was president of the First National Bank of Davenport, being connected with
Austin Corbin in its management. It was chartered in 1863 and was the first
national bank of the city. He carefully formulated his plans, was determined
in their execution and as the years passed by he left the impress of his
individuality upon the public life of the community, especially in financial
circles. He was one of the organizers of what is now the Davenport Savings
Bank, of which he was appointed by Governor Kirkwood as inspector of the
commissary department of the Iowa troops with the rank of lieutenant
colonel. In 1858 he also served as clerk of the county courts and was a
republican in politics.
 Ira M. Gifford was married to Miss Helen J. Lowrey and they became the
parents of two children, Waite and Ira L. The death of the father occurred
August 12, 1885, and in his passing Davenport lost one of its representative
and honored citizens. His widow long survived him and was called to her
final rest January 31, 1907. both were interred in a Davenport cemetery.
 Ira L. Gifford acquired his education in the public schools of Davenport
and in early manhood secured employment in a hardware store, where he
remained for about seven years. During the succeeding decade he was in
business on his own account and on the expiration of that period removed to
Chicago, where he entered the employ of the government, receiving
appointment as revenue stamp agent in the treasury department from Lyman J.
Gage. After a few years he was transferred to the position of assistant
cahier of the postoffice. He remained in Chicago for twelve years, when
impaired health caused him to withdraw from business circles, and he has
since lived retired in Davenport.
 On the 14th of September, 1887, Mr. Gifford wedded Miss Ella Webb, a
daughter of C. T. and Charlotte (Lansing) Webb, who had come from Albany,
New York. Their three children, Cornelia L., Juliet S. and Ira L., are in
 The family are communicants of the Episcopal church and Mr. Gifford is a
Mason, belonging to Trinity Lodge, No. 208, a. F. & A. M., and also to the
chapter, commandery and Mystic Shrine. Respected and honored in business and
official relations, he is regarded as one of the representative citizens of
Davenport, inasmuch as he is ever a stalwart champion of those projects and
movements which contribute to the material, intellectual, social and moral
welfare of the community.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Alonzo William Cantwell, M. D.

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Cantwell, Ferguson, Dalzell, Miskally.

 Few men have had firmer hold on the affection of their fellow townsmen than
Dr. Alonzo William Cantwell and the record of his life therefore cannot fail
to prove of interest to many of our readers. He was born April 25, 1841, in
Mansfield, Ohio. His parents were James and Sarah (Ferguson) Cantwell, also
natives of the Buckeye state. The father was a well-to-do contractor, farmer
and mill operator, closely associated with the business activity and
substantial development of the section in which he lived. He served with
credit as a soldier of the Mexican war and when the Civil war broke out he
recruited a company and went to the front as lieutenant colonel of the
Fourth Ohio Infantry. Six months later he recruited the Eighty-second Ohio
Infantry, of which he was commissioned colonel, serving with that rank until
killed at the second battle of Bull Run on the 29th of August, 1862. Had he
survived that fatal day he would have been made brigadier general.
 Dr. Cantwell was educated in the public schools of Mansfield, being
graduated from high school with the class of 1858. He devoted the succeeding
year to the grocery business but did not find it a congenial pursuit and
retired at the end of that time. In 1860 the family removed to Kenton, Ohio,
and Dr. Cantwell assisted his father in looking after his various interests.
Thus his time was busily occupied, for his father was the owner of farming
property, mills and much live stock. In 1862, in spite of his father's
opposition, he determined to join the army and was commissioned first
lieutenant. On the day that he had arranged to report for duty with
twenty-five men his father was killed. Dr. Cantwell was compelled to proceed
with his men but Governor Tod assisted him in having his resignation
accepted and he returned home to settle up his father's estate. The next
three years were devoted to that task and in 1865 he went to Chillicothe,
Missouri, where he engaged in the hardware business. After a short time,
however, he accepted a position as traveling salesman with a wholesale
hardware house and in 1866 he went to McMinnville, Tennessee, where he
joined a cousin in the hardware business for six months. On the  expiration
of that period he returned home. Commercial pursuits were not entirely
congenial to him and therefore he determined upon a professional career,
deciding to study medicine. In preparation for the practice he pursued a
course in the State University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and was graduated
in March, 1869. The same year he came to Davenport and entered the office of
Dr. A. T. Maxwell, an old friend of his father's with whom he remained for
three and a half years.
 In 1872 Dr. Cantwell was married to Miss Martha Dalzell, who was born in
Philadelphia, November 12, 1839, a daughter of John Dalzell, who was born in
Ireland and came to the United States in 1817. He settled in Pittsburg and
in 181 was married to Miss Elizabeth Miskally, of Philadelphia. In 1842 he
removed to Iowa, locating north of Davenport. While living on the farm he
became a man of affairs in this city. Mrs. Cantwell was the youngest child
and her life record continued to the 19th of January, 1904, when she was
called to her final rest.
 In the year of his marriage Dr. Cantwell began practice alone and in 1873
he was appointed city and county physician, which position he filled for
five years. In 1872 he rendered valuable service in the smallpox epidemic,
taking charge of a pest house, for which act of bravery the city voted him
one hundred dollars. He was also a member of the board of health for many
years and for a long period was president of the board of pension examiners.
He was also a member of the different medical societies and served as
president of the Scott County Medical Society and treasurer of the Illinois
Central District Medical Society for twenty years. He was one of the
organizers of the Iowa Public Health Association and for the first ten years
acted as its president. He was a stanch apostle of everything pertaining to
public health and did all he could to check the ravages of disease, not only
through private practice but in disseminating knowledge that would
constitute a source of prevention.
 Dr. Cantwell was also one of Davenport's most eminent representatives of
Masonry. He took high degrees in both the York and Scottish Rites and acted
as presiding officer in all the different Masonic bodies. He stood not only
in the front rank of his profession but was also a respected citizen and
honored man, his fellow townsmen entertaining for him the highest esteem
because of the character and value of his public work and his unfaltering
fidelity to high and honorable principles.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

grelljames.jpg (48139 bytes)James Grell Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Grell, Reinhardt, Steen, Blumer, Blanchard, Thede, Engelhardt, Hoffman.

 James Grell, who is now practically living retired on his farm in Allens
Grove Township, formerly led a very active, busy and useful life and well
deserves the rest, which he now enjoys. He was born in Kiel, Holstein,
Germany, March 10, 1839, a son of Frederick and Margaret (Reinhardt) Grell,
who spent their entire lives in the fatherland. The father served seven
years in the German army and was a farmer by occupation, being overseer of a
large estate. His family numbered five sons and five daughters, but only
four came to the United States, these being: John, who is now deceased;
James, of this review; Claus, who makes his home in Nebraska; and Katherine,
who became the wife of Henry Steen and has departed this life.
 James Grell spent the period of his boyhood and youth in his parents' home
and when fifteen years of age began learning the wagonmaker's trade, which
he followed until he attained the age of twenty-three years. Possessing
strong and persevering characteristics, developed by his earlier
environment, which, coupled with the livelier impulses of the Teutonic blood
of his ancestors, made him at that time seek wider fields in which to give
scope to his ambition and industry, and he accordingly emigrated to the new
world. His brother John had preceded him to America and was located in
Allens Grove township, Scott county. This fact led James Grell to this
county, and he here worked at his trade of wagonmaker, he cleared and
developed his land, putting it in condition for cultivation. When he had a
sufficient amount ready to plant he abandoned his trade and gave his full
time to the care of his fields. As he prospered he kept adding to his
original purchase until he now owns a half section of good farming property,
located on section 27, Allens Grove township, and in addition he owns one
hundred acres of timber land. He has also given some of his land to his
sons, for at one time he was owner of six hundred acres. Mr. Grell made all
of the improvements on his place, the family occupying a comfortable home,
while the outbuildings and barns are all arranged with a view to
convenience. For many years he was busily engaged in carrying on his work,
but he is now practically living retired, nearly giving supervision to his
interests, while the actual labor is performed by others.
 Mr. Grell was married in 1862, just before starting on his trip to the new
world, the lady of his choice Margaret Blumer, who was born near Kiel,
Holstein, Germany, January 14, 1839. She was a daughter of David Blumer, who
was born in Switzerland. The young couple reached their destination, Scott
county, in June, 1862, and here reared a family numbering four sons and four
daughters. Edward, the eldest, is at home. Julius is a resident of Hickory
Grove township, Scott county, and is mentioned elsewhere in this work. Gus
is also mentioned in this volume. Dora is the wife of Charles Blanchard and
the make their home in Oklahoma. Emma is the wife of Herman Thede, a
resident of Hickory Grove township. Minnie is the wife of Claus Engelhart
and they make their home with Mr. Grell. Mr. Engelhart served eight years in
the regular army in Company E, Seventeenth United States Infantry. This
service included the Spanish-American war in Cuba and the thirteen months in
the Philippines, where he acted as sergeant of his company. He participated
in thirteen engagements during his eight years' service. Chris, the next
member of the Grell family, resides in Allens Grove township, and Jennie,
the youngest, is the wife of John Hoffman, of Winfield township, Scott
county. The wife and mother departed this life on the 1st of May, 1889, when
about fifty of age.
Mr. Grell is a democrat in his political affiliations, and for a quarter of
a century served as justice of the peace, his efficiency in office being
indicated by his long term of service. For a similar period he also acted at
trustee of his township. He has always taken a deep interest in political
affairs, and is willing to lend his aid and cooperation to everything that
tends to advance the public welfare. Though born across the water, he is
thoroughly American in thought and feeling, and is patriotic and sincere in
his love for the stars and stripes. His career is identified with the
history of Scott county, where he has acquired a competence and where he is
an honored and respected citizen.

Transcribed by Laura Rathmann

J. W. Gilchrist

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Gilchrist, Weir, Schaechter, McQuirk, Crowe, Ploehm.

A native of Scotland but a resident of this country since a lad of fourteen
years, J. W. Gilchrist has become in Davenport-the city of his adoption-one
of its most highly honored citizens. He is identified with that important
branch of industry-coal and lumber business. The date of his birth is
September 28, 1857, and his parents are H. M. and Mary (Weir) Gilchrist. His
father, who preceded him in the coal and lumber business, was a man of
means, who left Caledonia, Scotland, in 1871 and shortly after landing in
America located in Rapids City, Illinois. The town of Gilchrist in Mercer
county Illinois, was laid out by him and received his name becoming a place
of considerable importance in the coal industry.
J. W. Gilchrist had already received a good education in Scotland when he
came into this country. He was so situated that he was able to acquaint
himself with all the details of his father's business and as soon as he had
attained to sufficient age he became associated with that gentleman. Their
success has been good and as a matter of history needs no comment.
 Mr. Gilchrist was married in 1877 to Miss Caroline Schaechter, and to them
have been born nine children. Hugh, who married Miss Elizabeth McQuirk and
has a daughter, Marjorie, assists his father in the lumber and coal
business. Mary is the wife of Charles Crowe and resides in Los Angeles. John
W., Jr., also assists his father in the business. Grace is the wife of John
Ploehm. Archibald is a student at Purdue University. Jean, Charles, Caroline
and Helen are all at school, Caroline being enrolled at St. Katherine's
The Gilchrist home is among the most attractive in the city. This was
purchased upon the removal of the family of Davenport in 1899 and it was
originally the old Fulton home. It has been rebuilt and remodeled and is
both handsome and picturesque, commanding as it does a fine view of the
Mr. Gilchrist attends the Presbyterian church and in his fraternal relations
he is a Mason. Resolute, keen and upright, exhibiting in his life many of
those traits characteristic of his Scotch ancestry, he constitutes in
himself a valuable factor in the life of Davenport, both in its social and
economic relations.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

curtisabr.jpg (40931 bytes)George W. Curtis

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Curtis, Masters, Dosh, Adams, Rice, Martindale.

 The simple weight of his character and ability has carried George W. Curtis
into important relations with the public life and interests of Long Grove,
where he is now engaged in business as a member of the H. W. Meier
Automobile Company. He was formerly for many years a leading merchant of the
town and the methods which he followed might well serve as an example to
those who wish to win honorable success.
 He was born in Davenport, March 30, 1860. His father died when the son was
very young, and he was adopted by Abraham Curtis, one of the very early
settlers of the county, who arrived here in 1852. He was then a man of
thirty-five years, his birth having occurred in Rensselaer county, New York,
February 10, 1817. His parents were Daniel and Mehitable (Masters) Curtis.
The former died in the Empire state, but the latter came to Scott county,
where she passed away in 1889. Abraham Curtis acquired his education in his
native county, attending the district schools and after putting aside his
text-books he gave his undivided attention to farming until he came to the
middle west with his wife in 1852. With Scott county as his destination, he
purchased on hundred and sixty acres of government land ear the present town
of Donahue in Hickory Grove township at four dollars per acre. This was wild
prairie, but he at once began to break the sod and soon the farm was under
cultivation, while from year to year he added to the improvements upon the
place, converting it into one of the well developed properties of the
region. He resided thereon until the spring of 1881, when he retired from
active farm life and removed to Davenport. While residing on the old
homestead he had purchased other land from time to time until he was the
owner of about five hundred acres in Scott county and also had four hundred
acres in Illinois. His capital was thus placed in the safest of all
investments-real estate-and as the years went by he met with substantial
prosperity which came as the direct reward of his earnest, persistent labor.
He took a keen interest in the Methodist church and its growth, but was not
a member. His wife and family also attended that church. Mr. Curtis passed
away November 12, 1902, and his remains were interred in Pine Hill cemetery
at Davenport. His wife, who was born in Washington county, New York, April
1, 1819, died on the 9th of April, 1893, and she too, was laid to rest at
Pine Hill. They were married in 1851, and having no children of their own,
they reared three adopted children: Abbie, the wife of Dr. J. R. Dosh, of
Stuart, Iowa; Anna I., the wife of Lester Adams, of Eagle Bridge, New York;
and George W.
 The last named pursued his education in the district schools of Hickory
Grove township, Cornell College, of Mount Vernon, and the Davenport Business
College. He remained with his foster parents in Davenport until January,
1884, when he removed to Long Grove and formed a partnership with M. M.
Rice. They purchased a store and stock of general merchandise from O. W.
Richardson & Company and continued together in business for two years, when
Mr. Curtis purchased his partner's interest and continued alone until 1901.
In the conduct of his mercantile enterprise he met with substantial success,
conducting a profitable business until he sold the stock to Marriott &
George. He still owns the building, however. While still engaged in general
merchandising he established the Star Creamery of Long Grove in 1890, but
also leased that property at the time he rented his store. He then lived
retired until 1909, but indolence and idleness are utterly foreign to his
nature and preferring to remain an active factor in business circles he
formed a partnership with H. W. Meier and G. B. Maxwell, under the firm name
of H. W. Meier Automobile Company. They handle some of the best makes of
motor cars and are successful in the past year in filling many orders. In
addition to his interests in this line, Mr. Curtis is the owner of two
hundred and forty acres of valuable land in Hickory Grove township and is a
stock holder in the Stockman's Savings Bank at Long Grove.
 On the 25th of September, 1885, occurred the marriage of Mr. Curtis and
Miss Minnie Martindale, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann Martindale, of
whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume. Unto Mr. And Mrs. Curtis have
been born seven children, as follows: Raymond A., who is acting as cashier
in the Stockman's Savings Bank at Long Grove; Bessie M., who is attending
college at Eureka, Illinois; LeRoy M., Edith M., Harold T., Margaret E. and
Robert, all still under the parental roof.
 The family are members of the Christian church at Long Grove, in which Mr.
Curtis is serving as elder. He has also acted as superintendent of the
Sunday school and at the present time his son is filling that position. Mr.
Curtis has been a member of this church for twenty-four years and has taken
a most active and helpful part in its work and contributes generously to its
support. He was treasurer of Long Grove for more than fifteen years. He and
his children have always been prominent in musical circles here, all
possessing good musical ability, well developed, and Raymond Curtis is now
acting as organist of the Christian church. Fraternally, Mr. Curtis is
associated with the Woodmen of the World at Long Grove, and both he and his
wife are members of the Court of Honor. In both these organizations he has
held office, and for seventeen years he filled the position of postmaster of
Long Grove, being first appointed during the administration of President
Arthur and continuing in the position by reappointment until he resigned
because of the pressure of other business interests. He has been a directing
force in much that has contributed to the city's commercial progress, and
his name is linked with many of the movements and measures that have been of
marked value in promoting the growth of the town along other commendable
lines. His life work has always conformed to a high standard of upright and
honorable manhood and his genuine personal worth is acknowledged by all who
know him.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Verner E. Hayward

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Hayward, Ford.

 Verner E. Hayward is a college man and a most successful and prominent
representative of the business circles of Davenport, where he is widely
known as secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Davenport Ladder
Company. He was born in Garner, Iowa, November 15, 1882, a son of the Hon.
W. C. Hayward, secretary of state. He was only three years of age when the
family came to this city and the public schools afforded him his preliminary
educational opportunities. Following his graduation from the high school
with the class of 1900 he continued his studies in the Iowa State College at
Ames and in Cornell College at Mount Vernon, Iowa. He then entered the field
of manufacture and is now associated with one of the city's most important
productive industries as the secretary, treasurer and general manager of the
Davenport Ladder Company, of which W. C. Hayward is the president. This
concern conducts a very extensive business and although a young man, not yet
having completed three decades, Mr. Hayward manages the enterprise with
marked capability, discretion and force. He possesses in large measure that
quality which for want of a better term has been called commercial sense-a
ready recognition of opportunities, combined with an intelligent use
 In September, 1904, Mr. Hayward was married to Miss Kate Ford, a native of
Manchester, Iowa, and they have one son, William Ford, born August 8, 1907.
Mr. Hayward belongs to Davenport Lodge, No. 37, a. f. & A. M.; Davenport
Chapter, No. 16, R. A. M. ; St. Simon of Cyrene Commandery, No. 9. K. T.;
the Davenport commercial club; and other local organizations.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Christian Mueller Bio

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1910 Chicago

There is no man among Davenport's honored dead who deserves more prominent mention than Christian Mueller, who for many years figured as one of the leading lumber merchants of the city and while conducting an extensive business enterprise found opportunity for active and effective cooperation in many movements which have left their impress upon the city's growth and substantial development. Moreover, the salient qualities of his character were such as made him respected and beloved by all who knew him. Born in Holstein, Germany, on the 1st of March, 1823, he was sixteen years of age when he was apprenticed to a mercantile concern and thus laid the foundation for his business career in the thorough commercial training which he there received. Wisely utilizing his opportunities and husbanding his resources, in 1844 he was enabled to engage in merchandising on his own account, opening a store in Kiel. While there he also took active interest in athletics and was the instructor in a turners' society. Moreover, he was keenly interested in the vital questions and issues of the day relative to the government policy and, holding decided views concerning many public affairs, during the winter of 1847-8 he organized a company of volunteers to aid the forces operating to secure greater freedom from the oppression of the Danish monarchy. In the latter year he joined some Schleswig-Holstein soldiers and other volunteers and this heroic band attacked a fortified post at Rendsburg, Holstein, which they captured. In the rebellion which followed he was wounded three times and in July, 1850, was taken prisoner, after which he laid for nine months in a hospital in Denmark. After peace had been declared he spent some time recuperating his health and in 1852 he sailed for the United States, determined to enjoy in the new world the liberty which was denied him in his native land.

Mr. Mueller reached Davenport in July of that year and soon after his arrival established a vinegar factory on the present site of the Kohrs Packing Company. This was destroyed by fire in 1854 and he lost all he had, but he did not become discouraged and with resolute spirit set to work to retrieve his losses. A few months later he married Elfrieda Claussen, a daughter of Hans Reimer Claussen, and with the added stimulus of having a home of his own to provide for he started again in the business world.

It was at this time that Mr. Mueller obtained his first experience in connection with the lumber trade, securing a position in a sawmill and thus gaining a knowledge of the business which stood him in good stead in later years. He worked for a time in a sawmill in Davenport and afterward operated a flour mill in Lyons, Iowa. On his return to this city, in 1857, he accepted a position as foreman and salesman with the lumber firm of French & Davis and when that failed in 1858 he was given charge of the disposition of their stock. In 1860 he became salesman for several lumber firms and from 1863 until 1868 engaged in the grain business on his own account. He had found the lumber trade congenial, however, and in March of the latter year he purchased the Dessanint interest in the lumber firm of Dessaint & Schricker, while in July, 1883, on the death of Mr. Schricker, he became sole proprietor. On the 1st of Janurary, 1895, he associated his three sons, Frank W., Edward C., and William L., with him in the business, which was then continued under the name of Chris Mueller & Sons. He ranked as one of the leading lumber merchants of the west, the firm enjoying a reputation from the Atlantic to the Pacific. The straightforward, honorable business policy which he instituted at the commencement of his career was ever maintained, and the reliability of the house constituted one of the most potent forces in its continued and growing success.

The death of Mr. Mueller occurred on the 10th of September, 1901, and was the occasion of deep and widespread regret. He was one of the most prominent and most beloved citizens of Davenport, his personal traits of character gaining him a firm hold on the affections of those with whom he was associated. His name was regarded as synonymous with business integrity and enterprise, and in social circles he was ever a welcome guest. He enjoyed association with his old friends but home was never forgotten and his happiest hours were spent at his own fireside. He was one of the founders and the first president of the Davenport Turngemeinde and was looked upon as the father of the organization. He was also one of the oldest members of the Davenport Schuetzen Gesellschaft. In public affairs relative to the city's growth and improvement he was deeply interested, as was manifest by his tangible support of many movements for the public good.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer


Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Celtic Cousins A Little Bit of Ireland The Irish in Iowa Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles Other Family Ties