A One-Name Study
Joynt Book References
From County and Family Histories, Ohio (FTM cd 450)
Book: History of Sandusky County p. 671 town of Bellevue
"Third, came the English, England born, of whom may be mentioned the Greenslades, the Wills, the Heals, the Fords, the Maynes, the JOINTs, the Radfords...
From Stark County, Ohio Will Abstracts
William Stanton, dated 1-13-1811. Sons: William Stanton, James Stanton, Latham Stanton, Zaccheus Stanton and Aaron Stanton. Daughters: Sarah Gardner, Hephzipbah Holloway and Deborah Stanton. Executors: James Stanton, Zaccheus Stanton, Aaron Stanton, Amos Holloway and Micajah Macy Joynt. Witnesses: William Hamlin, John Hamlin, Timothy Grummell, Ely Johnston and Britain Johnston.
Note: in above Micajah Macy Joynt may mean "..and Micajah Macy, joynt exors.."
From Education in Kilmacduagh in the 19th Century
Description of School: Hedge School at Killina, kept by James JOYNT
Sources of support: Payments by the children
Number of children on roll at time of inspection: No list produced
Average daily attendance: about 50
Increasing, stationary, diminishing during last 5 years: Established 12 Jan 1835
Kind of instruction: Reading, writing, arithmetic, catechism
From "The Parish of Kilkeedy" [County Clare, Ireland]
Memories of Tubber and Kilkeedy during the "troubles"
by James O'Loughlin, Rockforrest:
"The Volunteers I remember best were .....the JOYNTS...
The troubles talked about here are 1916-1922, the Volunteers were the old I.R.A.
From "Where the Sun Sets. Ballycroy, Belmullet, Kilcommon, & Kiltane, County Mayo" by Father Sean Noone. Erris Publications, Pollathomas, Ballina, County Mayo Ireland: 1991. page 240:
"When Samuel Bournes inherited the property of his father, George Bournes of Moyne in 1832 he ""cleared out"" the group of families at the southern end of the village and ""built a substantial and commodius two storey house with suitable offices and walled garden"". (O.S. Name Books Vol 1 No. 4) He may then have built the pound, which was near the ferry and supervised by a man named JOYNT. At the clearing out, Anthony McGuiness, the spokesman for the evicted families, was given the choice of Lenaveney or Gortacraher and rent free for five years. Both areas were then uncultivated bogland. He accepted Lenaveney. Today most families of Lenaveney are of his lineage." (See Joynt marriage page for Bournes/Joynt marriages)
Windham by Lincoln Volume 1A Modern History
of Windham County, Connecticut; A Windham County Treasure Book, Volume 1 Allen
B. Lincoln, Editor 1920:
JOYNT, Reverend Tů..628
HISTORY OF NEW LONDON COUNTY [CT] D. Hamilton Hurd J. W. Lewis & Co., Philadelphia 1882:
The Catholics of Voluntown are few in number and are attended by the resident pastor at Jewett City. Services are held once a fortnight in Union Hall. Rev. Thos. J. JOYNT is now building in that village a neat church, which he ecpects to have completed this fall. The Catholics number about three hundred, and are mostly of French-Canadian extraction.
Taken from The History of Tuscola County, MI, Biographical Sketches and Illustrations, H. R. Page Co., Chicago, 1883.
The fire of 1871 was not nearly so destructive in the town of Novesta, as that of ten years later. Not only were there fewer settlers but the fire does not appear to have been so extensive. The fire was most in the pine and slashings, where dry fuel was found. On the low ground the muck took fire, and burned with a smouldering flame. David M. Houghton was the only person who failed to escape to the river. This was owing to the sickness of his wife. They were supposed to be lost, until the second day after the fire, when friends arrived and assisted in carrying Mrs. Houghton out. Their barn, sleigh, corn, fences, and other property were destroyed; their house escaped.
The fire of 1881 was much more general and much more destructive, though unattended with loss of life. The following is a list of losses: John Dickerson, house and barn; John Van Kaughnet, House and barn; Archibald McPhee, barn; Charles Curles, hay; William Hartwick, hay; William Marsh, household goods, hay; Edward Deneen, hay and straw; James Abeal, barn, wheat, implements; Roswell Allen, hay; James Bruce, house and barn; James Phillips, house, wheat; W. A. Yorke, house, straw; Edward Balch, house and lumber; Aaron Huffman, house; A. Phillips, house; Archibald McArthur, house and barn; H. B. Hubbard, tools and implements; Orlando Strickland, house; A. G. Houghton, stable, lumber; John Seriver, house, stock; Michael Race, hay; John McLean, barn; Silas Woods, cooper shop, steak, household goods; Warren Barry, household goods; Martin Anthus, house; William H. Brown, hay; M. H. Quick, cut lumber; James Mattoon, house and barn; Daniel McClory, hay; A. R. Thompson, hay; Morrison Jones, two houses, hay; H. C. Downing, house, grain; Ogden Atwell, household goods; Chester Hall, house; James Wilson, saw-mill, tools; William Balch, house, barn, implements; M. Devall, household goods; H. Firman, household goods; Dugald McArthur, house, wheat; Silar Huffman, barn; T. Spenser, barn; H. H. Wilson, barn; S. Slack, barn; Alexander McCullum, stock, implements; John JOYNT, house, barn, hay; S. D. Snyder, house; George Tyler, barn; Patrick Nelson, implements; Adam Parker, fodder; Johnston Elwell, lumber; Reuben Mosher, house, barn, hay, tools; Andrew McTine, Marion Parker, barn; R. H. Lewis, rails; John Blades, barn, straw, hay; William Cooper, hay and lumber; David Harris, barn, hay; George Hanshaw, house, barn, hay, mill damaged. As a general rule, the destruction of building, especially barns implied the loss, also, of contents, and that the crops, whether garnered or in the field, were destroyed, fences burned, valuable standing timber ruined; in short, the shelter and food of family and stock, if any of the latter were left, was swept away.
The following town histories are taken from the 1878 History of Logan County, Illinois.
LATHAM is situated in the southeast corner of the county on the Pekin, Lincoln & Decatur Railroad. It was named in honor of Col. Latham and was laid out on the lands of Edwin A. JOYNT and L. Parrish in November, 1871. The first store in town was built by William Dardin, who has since gone, and the building is now unoccupied.
The second was erected by Frederick JOYNT; the third by Dr. Leathers, now the grocery of Joseph Rue; and the fourth by Henry Metchner. The postmaster was Thomas Hayes. In 1872 an elevator was erected by G. M. Stines & Co. It was burned on the night of October 8, 1875. The next Spring the present elevator was built in its place. The shipments of grain from this point are large, the greater portion of it going to Toledo. In 1875 a two-story schoolhouse was erected which is now occupied. The school is ungraded and under the township control.
The Methodist Church was erected here in the Spring of 1872. The Congregation had been organized in a schoolhouse about a mile west of town. The Baptists were organized in "Two Mile Grove" in the schoolhouse and in the fall of 1872 removed their place of worship to Latham where they erected a church. The oldest settlers in this locality came about 1849. These were Samuel Parrish, who came from Jersey County, and is still living here; Fred. and E. A. JOYNT, the first-named settling in 1849, the second in 1852. Andrew Simpson and Henry Hall were also early settlers. The country about town is quite level and very productive
"The Auckland Fire Brigade 1874-1974."., Auckland Metropolitan Fire Board, Pitt Street, Auckland. Maxwell Printing Co. (NZ) Ltd, New North Rd, Kingsland, Auckland
.From its modest beginnings in 1902 of six permanent staff and 12 auxillary men, in 1906 the permanent staff doubled and by 1973 had 42 permanent staffand 20 auxillary men. Please contact NZ Fire Brigade Old Boys Association for further information.
JOYNT, A - Winner of six-man five escape drill, 1906 photo
From 'An Affair of Honour - Irish duels
1812, October 7, Mr.O.Joynt killed Mr.P.McKim before a large crowd at Castleconnor, Ballina, Co.Mayo.
The "Search for Missing Friends" is an 8 volume series of Irish Immigrant Advertisements placed in the Boston Pilot Newspaper 1830-1920 -searching for lost friends and relatives:
19th MARCH 1859: Information wanted of MICHAEL HANLEY of the city of LIMERICK - Information will be thankfully received by JOHN JOYNT -No 150 Diamond Harbor - Quebec LOWER CANADA.
26TH MARCH 1859: Of WILLIAM - JAMES - and CHRISTOPHER JOYNT -parish of BARLEYSTEEN -co LIMERICK. WILLIAM sailed from LIVERPOOL about 14 years ago - his age was about 16 years - when last heard from he was in NEW ORLEANS. When last heard from JAMES he was at J.B.MATHEW
HAMILTON'S NEW YORK.- that is the direction that he went. There has been no account of CHRISTOPHER - Any information will be thankfully received by their brother HUGH JOYNT - MIDDLEPORT P.O. SCHUYLKILL co -Penn.
2ND AUGUST 1873: Of JOHN JOINT - a native of IRELAND - when last heard from - three years ago - he was in HOPEFIELD ARK. Information of him will be received by his mother MARY JOINT -WHEELING - WEST Va.
Irish Families in Australia and New Zealand
1788-1979," Coffey &
Morgan, Victoria, Australia: 1978 (publisher not given).
John William JOYNT MA, born Dec. 1852 Co. Wicklow. Ed Kilkenny College and
TCD, graduating 1877 with high academical [sic] distinction. Arr. NZ 1886.
Principal Nelson College 1889-1898. Registrar, University of NZ 1899.
From the book "The Irish in
Argentina" by Thomas Murray:
Michael RYAN, born in Co. Limerick in 1808, dead on August 27th. 1870.
Married with Jane O'DONNELL JOYNT, Irish. They had one daughter.
The following is an 1895 biography of Henry Clay Shufelt,
husband of Alice
Excerpt from "Memories of the Counties of Faribault,
Martin, Watonwan and Jackson, Minnesota"
Chicago;The Lewis Publishing Company;1895
"Henry C. Shufelt, residing on a farm in section 18, Winnebago City
township, Faribault county, is one of the representative pioneers of
southern Minnesota. Mr. Shufelt was born in Vermont, November 10, 1831, son
of George and Alvira (Glover) Shufelt, who were of Holland descent. About
1854 his parents left the Green Mountain State and took up their abode in
Winnebago County, Wisconsin, where they passed the residue of their lives
and died. Hency C. was reared on a farm in his native state and received his
education in the common schools of the neighborhood in which he lived. After
his marriage, which event occurred in 1852, he settled down on a farm in
Vermont, and continued to reside there for two years. He then sought a home
in the West. For six years he was engaged in farming in Winnebago County,
Wisconsin, and at the end of that time came from there to Minnesota, first
settling in Rice county, and two years later coming to Faribault county and
locating upon the land he still owns and occupies. He secured title to this
farm under the homestead act; and here for thirty-five years he has lived
and prospered. He now has a beautiful home, shaded by trees of his own
planting, his farm is well improved with good barns, fences, grove, etc.,
and an air of general thrift prevails. August 28, 1852, at Enosburg,
Vermont, Mr. Shufelt married Miss Alice JOYNT, a native of county Limerick,
Ireland. She came to America when twelve years of age, in company with an
aunt, and afterward was joined by her mother and sisters. For some years she
lived with an uncle and aunt in New Jersey, where she received a fair
education. Mr. and Mrs. Shufelt have had five children, only one of whom,
William Henry, is living. He was married July 1, 1892, to Miss Delia
Bartholomew, a native of Marquette county, Wisconsin, and a daughter of
Dexter and Ellen (Jones) Bartholomew, the former a native of Jefferson
county, New York, and the latter of Wales. Some years ago her parents
settled in Blue Earth county, Minnesota, and there, November 26, 1893, her
father died. Her mother is still a resident of that county. Politically, Mr.
H. C. Shufelt has been a Republican since the organization of that party. He
has held the office of Supervisor in his township and has also filled other
local offices. December 14, 1863, he enlisted in Company H, Second Minnesota
Cavalry, and served during the Indian troubles, being on duty until November
20, 1865, when he was discharged on account of disability. He is a member of
James Clabaugh Post, No., 54, G. A. R. During the Indian troubles, while her
husband was absent from home, Mrs. Shufelt and her nine-year-old son
remained alone, and were here at the time the Root family were massacred by
the Indians, seven miles north of her shanty. Many were the hardships and
trials she endured in the early years of their residence on the frontier,
but she proved herself equal to every emergency. For the past fourteen years
she has been an invalid, and the same courage and Christian fortitude that
sustained her in early life now help her to bear up under affliction. She is
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church."