A Little Bit of Ireland



Is a Market town, partly in the parishes of Kiltartan and Beagh, but chiefly in that of Kilmacdaugh, barony of Kiltartan, county of Galway, 125 miles w. by s. from Dublin, 22 s.e. from Galway, 19 s. from Ennis, and 15 s.w. from Loughrea; pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity rising from the branch of a river, on the road from Galway to Ennis, and on the main line between the provinces of Connaught and Munster. The town consists of three principal streets, wide and clean, which radiate from a spacious square, where the market is held; the houses, which are chiefly of stone, are well built, and the place has altogether an air of comfort and respectability. Lord Viscount Gort is proprietor of the town, and takes his title from it. This nobleman's seat, Loughcooter Castle, situated about three miles distance, is a noble castellated building, in a well-planted demesne, and commanding very fine lakes, woodland and mountain views. In front of the castle is Loughcooter, a delightful expanse of water, three miels long, abounding in fish, and enlivened by several verdant-clad, well-wooded islands. The public buildings of the town comprise the court-house, a convenient building, erected in the square in 1815; a bridewell, built in 1814, constabulary and military barracks, and a union workhouse. The Dublin Banking Company has a branch of establishment here, and the Phoenix Fire Assurance Company, an agency. A temperance reading-room and a billiard-room, both in the Market-square, may be mentioned as places of relaxation-the latter is well conducted and respectably attended, as is 'Glynn's Hotel,' which is also a posting-house. General sessions are held twice a year, and petty sessions weekly, in the court-house. A manorial court for the recovery of small debts is also held occasionally. A chief constabulary police station is established here, and it is the residence of a sub-inspector.
     The parish church of Kilmacdaugh was erected in 1810, on land given by the first Lord Gort. It is an elegant cruciform structure, with a conical spire; the fittings of the interior, which were renewed in 1828, are handsome and well kept. The Roman Catholic chapel is also a cruciform building and likewise indebted for its site to Lord Gort. The scenery in the vicinity of this town is very beautiful, comprising on the west the Burren mountains, county of Clare, and on the east the eminences of Derrybrien, Castle-Daly and Roxborough. The market is held on Saturday, and the fairs, March 17th, May 10th, August 11th and November 7th. The population of the town as returned in 1841, was 3,056.

POST OFFICE- Thomas P. Morris, Post Master-Letters from DUBLIN and LOUGHREA arrive every morning at half-past ten, and are despatched every afternoon at ten minutes past two. Letters from GALWAY arrive every forenoon at twenty minutes before eleven, and are despatched every afternoon at two. Letters from LIMERICK and ENNIS arrive every aternoon at two, and are despatched every forenoon at a quarter before eleven.

Nobility, Gentry and Clergy

Lahiff James, Esq., Bridge st


Lahiff Captain Thomas, Russan

Alexander Arthur, Esq., Maryville

Lopdell John Esq, Derryowen

Antesell Thomas, Exsq, Ashfield

M'Cook Mrs.___, River View

Bell Mrs. Robert, Bridge st

M'Nevin Daniel, Esq, Rose Park

Berry Miss Honoria, Bank place

Mahon Giles, Esq., Gort

Blanquier Edward, Esq, Rendifin

Mahon James, Esq., Northampton

Burke John, Esq. Lisbrien

Nagle Rev. Michael, P.P., Gort

Burke Redmond, Esq. Annagh

Nelly Rev. Michael, Market-square

Butler Captain Francis, Cregg

Nolan John, Esq., New Park

Butler, Captain Walter, Ballygagan

O'Donnell Mr. John T, Queen st

Butler, William, Esq., Bonehow

O'Hara John, Esq. Raheen

Carrick Patrick, Esq., Ballyglee Castle

O'Shaughnessy Rev. Michael, Market sq

Daly James, Esq, Castle Daly

Robinson Rev. Robert D, Bridge st

Eagan Miss___, Market Square

Rosengrave Mr. Walter, Market sq

French the Right Rev. Doctor, R.C. Bishop of Kilmacdaugh, Market sq.

Tully Rev. Patrick, R.C.C. Gort

Galway Edward, Esq. Doon

Woods Thomas, Esq., Woodshawn

Gilbrath James, Esq, Cappard


Gort the Right Hon.Lord Viscount, Loughcooter Castle

Professional Persons

Glynn Mr. Patrick, Market Square


Gregory Robert, Esq., Cool Park

Bell Robert, land agent, Bridge st

Hewson, Mr. John F., Bank Place

Boland Thos, apothecary, Bank place

Hunt Edmund L, J.P. Bridge st

Cunniffe Hyacinth, apothecary, Market sq

Kelly Andrew, Esq, Roseville

Eyre Edward, attorney, Bridge st

Kelly Rev. Martin, Market square

Gill Terence, apothecary, Bridge st

Killikelly The Misses, Church st

M'Nevin Daniel, attorney, Barrack st

Kirwan the Very Rev. Anthony LaTouche (dean of Kilmacduagh), deanery house

Mulville William, A.M. physician and surgeon, Bridge House

Kirwin Edward, Esq., Ballyturin

Nolan Martin Daly, physician and surgeon, Bridge street.

Lahiff Henry, Esq. Cloon


PAGE 128



Kean Michael, linen draper, Bridge street


Keane Denis, provision dir, George st

Dublin Banking Company, Bank place- Mr. A.L. Simkins, manager

Kelly Festus, pawnborker, Queen st


Kinney Martin, earthenware dealer, Market square


Lennord Edward, nail maker, Crow lane


Lourie David, grocer and hardware dealer, Market square

Forrest Mary, Mail Coach Hotel (and posting house), Market square

M'Inerney James, baker, Market sq

Glynn Patrick (and posting house and billiard rooms, Market square

M'Namara John, baker, Market sq


M'Namara Thomas, leather cutter, Market sq

Inns And Public Houses

Mahon James, baker, Market square


Mangan John, miller & baker, Bridge st

Byrne Michael, Georges st

Moloney Mary, wine & spirit dealer, Market square

Conroy James, Market sq

Morris Thomas, grocer, Bridge st

Ford Timothy, Bridge st

Nelly Bridget, hardware dealer, Market square

Gill John, Market square

Nelly Jno, haberdasher & toy dealer, Market sq

Keane Denis, George st

Nestor Cath, shopkeeper, Market sq

Kelly Michael, Bridge st

O'Loughlin Timothy, tallow chandler, Market square

Kennedy James, George st

O'Shaughnessy Anne, grocer, Market square

Lally Eliza, Bridge st

Pigot Gerald, nail maker, Georges st

Quinn John, Market square

Pollard Anne, grocer, Market square


Regan William, baker, Market square

Shopkeepers & Traders

Ryder Michael, leater cutter, Market square


Stenson Peter, saddler, Bridge st

Boland Denis, grocer & spirit dealer, Market square

Tully Patrick, shopkeeper, Barrack st

Boland John, iron & timber dealer, Bank place

Wallace Andrew, linen & woollen draper, Bridge st

Browne John, provisions dealer, Crow lane

Walsh Laurence, painter, Georges street

Burke Patrick, linen & woolen draper, Market square

Walsh Bryan, tailor, Barrack st

Casey Patrick, shopkeeper, Crow lane


Conry Ann, linen draper, Bridge st

Places of Worship and their Ministers

Costello Michael, provision dealer, Crow lane


Cunniffe Mary, grover, Barrack st

PARISH CHURCH, Kilmacduagh-The Very Rev. Anthony LaTouche Kirwan, dean, Deanery house; Rev. Robert D. Robinson,curate, Bridge st

Dermody John, confectioner, Bridge st

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL- Reverend Michael Nagle, parish priest; Reverend Patrick Sully, curate

Dogan Peter, shopkeeper, Bridge st


Dolan Michael, hatter, Bank place

Public Institutions, &c.

Fallon Patrick, shopkeeper, Bridge st


Ford Morris, show maker, Barrack st

BARRACK (Constabulary), Barrack st--Godfrey Hill, sub-inspector, Church st

Gill Michael, shopkeeper, Bridge st

BARRACK (Military), Barrack st--Captain Allin Shambree, barrack master

Glasby Mary, shopkeeper, Crow lane

BILLIARD ROOM, Market square--Patrick Glynn, proprietor

Glynn Ellen, hardware dealer, Market square

BRIDEWELL, Bridge st--Edward Kelly, keeper

Glynn Jane, shopkeeper, Market square

COURT HOUSE, Market sqare--Mrs. Galvin, keeper

Glynn Morty, feather & hide dealer, Bridge street

PHOENIX FIRE INSURANCE OFFICE, Bridge st--Thomas Morris, agent

Glynn Patrick, shopkeeper, George street

STAMP OFFICE, Bridge st-- Thomas P. Morris, distributor

Glynn Patrick, linen and woollen draper, Market square

TEMPERANCE READING ROOM, Market square--Michael Kelly, keeper

Hardman Anne, shopkeeper, Bridge st

UNION WORKHOUSES, Georges st--Patrick Fallon, master; James Slater, clerk of the union, Bridge st

Hawkins, Michl, shopkeeper, Crow lane


Hynes Anthony, shopkeeper, Market square

Coaches & Cars

Hynes Bridget, shopkeeper, Crow lane


Hynes, Denis, cabinet maker, Church st

To BALLINASLOE, a Car, from Michael Kean's every morning at twenty minutes past nine, goes through Loughrea, and arrives in time for the Canal Boat to Dublin

Hynes, Michl, shopkeeper, Crow lane

To GALWAY, the Royal Mail (from Limerick), calls at Michael Kean's every afternoon at two; goes through Oranmore

Jordon George, tailor, Bank place

To LIMERICK, the Royal Mail (from Galway), calls at Michael Kean's every morning at 20 minutes before eleven

Jordan Thos., boot&c. maker, Crow lane

To LOUGHREA, a Mail Car from Forest's Hotel, every afternoon at quarter past two


To NEW QUAY, a Mail Car, from Forrest's Hotel, every afternoon at two.

Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project Celtic Cousins A Little Bit of Ireland The Irish in Iowa Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles Other Family Ties