A Little Bit of Ireland
SLATER'S COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY OF IRELAND - 1881
|Is a market town, partly in the parishes of KILTARTAN and BEAGH, but chiefly in that of KILMACDUAGH, barony of Kiltartan, county of Galway, 125 miles w. by s. from Dublin, 22 S.E. from Galway, 19 N. from Ennis, and 15 S.W. from Loughrea; pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity rising from the branch of a river on the road from Galway to Ennis and on the main line between the provinces of Connaught and Munster. The town consists of three principal streets, wide and clean, which radiate from a spacious square, where the market is held. The houses, which are chiefly of stone, are well built and the place has altogether an air of comfort and respectability. Lord Gough is the proprietor of Loughcooter Castle situated about three miles distant; it is a noble castellated building, in a well planted demesne, and commanding a very fine lake, woodland, and mountain views. In front of the castle is Loughcooter, a delightful expanse of water, three miles long, abounding in fish, and enlivened by several verdant-clad well wooded islands. The public buildings of the town comprise the court house, a convenient building, erected in the||square, in 1815; a bridewell, built in 1814;
constabulary barracks and a union workhouse. A dispensary is also
supported here. General sessions are held twice a year, and petty
sessions weekly, in the court house. A chief constabulary police station
is established here, and is the residence of a sub-inspector.
The parish church of Kilmacduagh was erected in 1810, on land given by the first Lord Gort. It is an elegant cruciform structure with a conical spire; the fittings of the interior, which were renewed in 1828, are handsome and well kept. The Roman Catholic church is also a cruciform building, and likewise indebted for its site to Lord Gort. The scenery in the vicinity of this town is very beautiful, comprising on the west the Burren mountains, county of Clare; and on the east the emineness of Derrybrien, Castle- Daly and Roxborough. The market is held on Saturday, and the fairs March 17th, May 10th, August 11th and November 7th. The population of the town in 1861 was 2,102 and in 1871, 1,773.
POST OFFICE, Bridge Street, GORT,
John Quinn, Post Master- Letters from all parts arrive (from Dublin) at
half-past three morning and half past three afternoon, and are despatched
thereto at eleven morning and twenty minutes past nine night.
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, PETERSWELL, Mrs. Lyons, Post Mistress.- Letters arrive (from Loughrea) at ten morning and are despatched at a quarter before three afternoon.
|NOBILITY, GENTRY & CLERGY.
Alexander Arthur, Esq. Mary Ville
Blaquier Henry, Esq., Fiddane
Burke John, Esq, Lisbrien
Burke Richard, Esq, Lisbrien
Butler William, Esq, Bonebow
Cahill L.S. Esq, Rose park
Carrick Patrick Esq, Lisheen
Clanmorres the Right Hon. Lord Creggclare.
Connelly, Rev. Michael, P.P. Bahir
|Daly Rev. H.V. The Deanery
Daly James, Esq., J.P. Castle Daly
Forrest John, Esq, Market sq.
Franks David B. Esq R.M. Hunt's Cottage
Gilbraith James, Esq, J.P. Cappard
Glynn Mr. John W, Market sq.
Gough the Right Honourable Lord Loughcooter Castle.
Gregory Sir William H. Bart, D.L. Cool Park
Lahiff James, Esq, J.P. Bridge st.
Latty Robert J., Esq, J.P. Cregg
|Nagle, Rev Michael, P.P. Kilbeaconty
Nolan Andrew, Esq, New Park
Nolan Andw. O'Kelly, Esq, Bridge st.
O'Hara Major Charles, Raheen
Persse Dudley, Esq, J.P. Roxborough
Rosengrave, Mr. Matthew, Crow Inn
St. George Wm, Esq, Tyrone House
Shannon Rev. Timothy, P.P. & V.G. Bridge st.
Taylor Walter S, Esq, J.P. & D.L. Castle Taylor.
Infant's School, Bridge st - Sisters of Mercy, teachers.
Boland Thomas, Market sq.
Gillane William, Market sq
National Bank (Branch), Bridge st - draws on the head office, London - James George Grubb, manager.
Burke Edmond, Peterswell
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Cooney Thomas, Crow lane
Burke Patrick, George st
Glynn Michael, Crow lane
GROCERS AND DEALERS IN SUNDRIES
Barry Michael, Bridge st
Mahon Michael, George st
Glynn's, Robert Glynn, Market sq
IRONMONGERS & HARDWARE MEN
Boland John, Bank pl
Boland Denis, Market sq
LINEN DRAPERS AND HABERDASHERS
Hardiman Thomas, Bridge st
Bannatyne & Son, Bridge st
Devany David, George st
PHYSICIANS & SURGEONS
Nolan Andrew O'Kelly, Bridge st
SADDLERS & HARNESS MAKERS
Foster John, Crow lane
Alexander Arthur, Maryville, Kinvara
Boland Denis, Market sq
|O'Halloran Michael, Market sq
Reynolds Patrick, George st
Slattery Edward, Market sq
Spelman Michael, Crow lane
Spelman Patrick, Bridge st
Ward Brien, Market sq
Barry Michael, flour dealer, Church st
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, OFFICES &c.
Protestant Episcopal Church, Kilmacduagh- Rev. H.V. Daly
POOR LAW UNION
Governor- Denis Dullea
Barrack (Military) - Joseph Guerin, keeper.
To ENNIS, a Mail Car, every morning at twenty minutes past
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY
Station, Bridge st- Martin Moroney, station master.
|Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project||Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project||Celtic Cousins||A Little Bit of Ireland||Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles||Other Family Ties|