GOLDEN JUBILEE ANNIVERSARY
St. Alphonsus Parish
Fifty years have passed-fifty years of known and unknown
works of priests, sisters and lay people, that have given us the parish we
have today. We are grateful to the early pioneers for what they have built
and given to us.
We can never give them enough credit but we can bring to
light - though rather sketchily - some of the history of the beginnings and
progress of St. Alphonsus Parish from 1908 to 1958. Any important event or
notable contribution that may be omitted is purely unintentional.
As the number of Redemptorist Priests increased in this
section of the country, the superiors were inclined to accept new
foundations that the scope of Redemptorist labors, particularly mission
work, might be enlarged. Rev. William O'Shea, C.SS.R., who was a personal
friend of Bishop Davis of Davenport, informed the Bishop that the
Redemptorists would welcome an opportunity to enter his diocese. The Bishop
extended an invitation to the Fathers to establish themselves in the
Davenport Diocese. He offered them the Church of St. Francis de Sales in
Keokuk, Iowa, but he signified his willingness to permit them to begin a new
parish in the west end of the city of Davenport. This city was considered a
better mission center and the railroad facilities were more convenient for
Rev. Joseph Beil, C.SS.R., was appointed to begin the new
foundation. He arrived in Davenport on April 28th, 1908. At the time of his
arrival, there was no church, school or residence for the priests. Along
with Brother Robert Maas, Father rented a cottage at 513 Dittmer Avenue for
$10.00 a month as a temporary home. This was on May 5th, 1908. A temporary
altar made of two tables set up in one of the small rooms was the scene of
the first mass said in St. Alphonsus Parish.
Bishop Davis requested that the Father also take temporary
charge of the Church in Bettendorf, where there were 25 families in the
little parish. Father Beil celebrated mass there for the first time on
May 10th, 1908.
On May 11th, 1908, Mr. Frank Ganson and Mr. Frank Mauget
called on Father Beil to offer their services in finding a suitable location
for a new church and Priest house. The three of them went looking and from
their findings, Father decided to purchase five fifty foot lots on Boies
(Formerly Penning St.,) near Fremont (Farragut) from the Naeckel Brothers.
This property was near the Mt. Ida street car line on Rockingham Road. The
purchase price of the five lots was $2,075.00 (or $415.00 per lot).
Father also made a canvass of the parish to find out just
how many souls there were - he located about 60 families who would be under
May 17th, 1908 is considered as the formal foundation of St.
Alphonsus Parish as that was the day Father Beil said the first Mass and
gave the first sermon for the people of the Parish. The Mass was said in the
rented cottage. Twelve people were present - a small, but good beginning.
The collection, which is always a good sign of a Catholic function, amounted
to the princely sum of $1.70. Bishop Davis gave permission for the Blessed
Sacrament to be reserved in the cottage. Mass was said each day at 6 A.M.
for the parish.
Plans were laid for a two-storied building on Boies Avenue
to serve as a combination church and priest house. The building was to be 40
x 75 feet. The architect was Mr. Henry Beiler of Chicago. Four contractors
submitted bids on the new building. Mr. Henry Tappendorf of Rock Island bid
the lowest - $9,600.00. Since he was the lowest but a respectable bidder, he
received the contract. The heating, plumbing, sewering, gas piping and
electric wiring were not included in the contract.
The first baptism in the new parish was conferred on Frances
Cecile Johanna Langtim. She was the child of Henry Langtim and Mary Derby.
This was Sunday, June 14th, 1908 (4 P. M.)
Father Beil turned the first shovel of dirt for the new
combination church-priesthouse on June 21, 1908 and the next day the Kahl
Brothers began the excavation in earnest and had it finished in two weeks.
June 22nd also brought the first sick call and death in the
new parish. A young boy, Alfred Engler, was suddenly taken ill and died
after Father Beil had administered the first rights to him. He was buried
from St. Mary's Church since there were no facilities in the parish for such
Father Augustine Guendling was appointed the first pastor of
the parish on July 8th, 1908. Up to this time Father Beil was doing the
spade work of the new parish but was not the pastor in the strict church
sense. Two other priests, Father John Matthews and Father William Devine
were appointed here at the same time. Brother Robert Maas, who came with
Father Beil, remained for a time.
The Fathers realized that their home on Dittmer Street was
not suitable and for some time had tried to purchase the Thompson residence
(corner of Fremont and Boies) to no avail but finally were able to close the
deal on July 29th, 1908. On August 8th, the Fathers moved from Dittmer
Street to their new home. A good second hand organ was purchased for $10.00
for church services which were held in the priests' home. The first
catechism lessons were held in the Thompson home on August 30th - eight
children were present.
The boundaries of the new parish fixed by the Bishop Davis
were: Third Street on the north; Howell Street on the east; the Mississippi
River on the south; the City Limits on the west.
One of the mainstay societies saw its inception on October
7, 1908. The Altar-Rosary Society began on that date in the priests' parlor
of the old Thompson home. The first president was Mrs. D.E. Weatherly; Mrs.
Ida Hartmann as Vice-President; Mrs. Charles Fanning, Secretary and Mrs.
Mahoney, Treasurer. It was determined to hold the meetings of the Society
each month on the first Sunday after the 8 A.M. Mass. The next day, October
8th, three Sisters of Humility (Mother Provincial, Mary Vincent; Mother Mary
Ligouri of St. Vincent's and Mother Mary Joseph) arrived on the scene and
offered the services of their Order in the new school of the Parish. This
indeed was a most welcomed offer and one that was readily accepted. it is to
these good sisters that the parish owes a debt that cannot be fully repaid.
Some of the Sisters who made many sacrifices of their time and convenience
in the early days were: Sr. Gonzaga, Sr. St. Baptist, Sr. Dolores, Sr.
Carmelita, Sr. Mary Paul, Sr. Josephine (First Superior), Sr. Clementine and
Sr. Catherine (Sr. Clementine was from Buffalo, Iowa).
The formal installation of Father Guendling as First
Superior of the Redemptorists and pastor here at St. Alphonsus, took place
on October 14th, 1908. Construction of the new combination Church-Rectory
proceeded rapidly. Begun at the end of June, it was ready for use in three
months. The Church or Chapel was upstairs, occupying the rear half of the
building. The first High Mass said in the Chapel of the newly completed
combination Church-Priesthouse (second floor) was offered up on Sunday,
November 8, 1908. Ninety people were in attendance (John and Art Schmitt
were the young servers at this Mass). Access to the Chapel was made by means
of a long flight of stairs in the rear of the house. Sunday school for the
children was held at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. It was dedicated by Bishop
Davis on December 20th.
Sr. Josephine, the Superior, Sr. Clementine and Sr.
Catherine arrived on Thursday, January 7th, 1909 to take over the teaching
of the parish youngsters. The ladies of the parish had come a few days
earlier to prepare their living quarters, but it was so cold the water froze
on the floors- it was 8 below zero. Only the pot bellied stove gave the
supposed heat-no central heating at that time.
The Sisters taught Sunday School for the first time with 27
children present on Sunday, January 10th. The next day, January 11th, the
first school in the parish opened with 21 brave young souls present. They
were brave because it was 15 below zero. A few more children would
have been present but for various sicknesses brought on by the cold weather.
Father Patrick Byrne had gone throughout the parish to tell the
parents of the new school and urged them to send their children.
On January 18th, 1909, the first marriage was performed in
the parish between Leo Schmitt and Alice McCrossen in the upstairs parish
The first mission ever given in the parish was opened on
Sunday, February 14th. It was given by Father William Bond, Father John
Matthews, Father William Devine and Father Patrick Byrne. It lasted till the
May Devotions were begun. Little Ligouri Mauget was elected
to place the crown on Our Lady's head.
On June 20th, 15 young boys and girls made their first Holy
Communion. This is the first such exercise of this kind recorded. 7 boys
(Earl Doyle, Leonard Schmitt, William Porth, William Trainor, Aloysius
Cawiezell, George Leonard, John Offerman) and 8 girls (Martha Haase, Irene
Thompson, Marie Fanning, Sarah Offerman, Katie Shinner, Louise Rombaut,
Gertrude Schebler and Grace Goldermann). The Soladity of Our Lady of
Perpetual help was established at this time also. There were two divisions:
one for the single and one for the married.
Two more lots of our present property were purchased on
August 4th. Gas and electric lights were installed for the first time at
this time. Before then, lighting in the Church and Rectory was only by
candles and old-fashioned lamps.
In September, the Altar-Rosary Society and the Confraternity
of Our Lady of Perpetual Help were merged into the Married Ladies Sodality.
In April, Mr. Tappendorf, the contractor, staked off
ground for the new addition to the school house located to the rear of the
Thompson home, about the spot where the present corridor joins old and new
schools. It was to cost approximately $4,915.53. The First Floor of the
school was so constructed that the school rooms could easily be converted
into one of the large rooms for play, meetings and the like. It was
connected with the Thompson home. After the new school was erected, the
Sisters used the entire Thompson home. School was finished August 3rd.
The first confirmation in the parish was June 19th. Bishop
Davis conferred the sacrament on 60 people which included those from
Father Patrick Murray, Superior General of the Redemptorists
at that time, came to Davenport, on visit from his headquarters in Rome, to
bless the new school addition on August 29th.
Miss Frances Reidman became the first girl to enter the
convent from our parish. She intended to join the Order of the Sister
Servants of the Immaculate in Monroe, Michigan.
Another piece of property was obtained - lot #10 in the
Garfield addition- for $50.00.
Lot #10 on Jackson was bought. Gradually the entire block
was coming under the control of the parish.
Rev. George Hild, C.SS. R. was appointed as successor to
Father Guendling on August 3rd. It was at this time that plans for a new
church began to materialize. Stauder & Sons, architects from St. Louis
drew up the plans which were accepted. The contract was let to Coen &
Conway of Davenport, who was the lowest of six bidders for about $12,638.01.
Mr. Arthur Eberling, an architect from Davenport, was appointed as
superintendent. This church was intended only as a temporary structure at
the time. In the future, as the parish grew, the plans were to erect a
church on the corner at Boies and Farragut (then Fremont). To date this is
still a dream! Ground was broken for the "temporary" church on
No church tower would be complete without a bell. So an old
fire bell that had hung in the old No. 1 fire station at 117 Perry for about
50 years was purchased. The bell was called "Angela" because of
the devotion for which it is rung three times daily. The bell was cast in
1857 in the LeClaire Foundry on First and Scott Streets. When it was being
moulded, Mr. Michael Donahue, a former mayor of town and organizer of the
Davenport Water Co. and for whom the first steam fire engine was named, came
by and dropped 100 silver dollars in the pot. St. Alphonsus acquired it for
$106.00. As it once called out to save people from fires it still continues
to do so, but from a different kind of fire!
The corner of the new church was laid on November 24th,
Bishop Davis was present for the occasion as he was for many of the parish
functions-continuing to show the interest he manifested from the very
foundation of the parish.
The church was finally completed and on Sunday morning, June
8th, it was dedicated by Bishop Davis at the 9 A.M. Mass. (Servers: John and
Art Schmitt, Charles and Vic Van Camp and Fritz Schebler). The finished
product was 102 feet long and 42 feet wide and 28 feet high. All the church
furnishings were supplied by the Dubuque Altar Mfg. Co. The seating capacity
was about 350. The total cost of the furnishings was $4,445.00 which was
donated by friends living in the parish and elsewhere. The first Communion
in the new church was on June 15th.
Since there was no further use for the large chapel and
church facilities in the Priests' house, it was decided to do some
remodeling on the priests' house and give it more living room there. A brick
passageway was put up between the priests' house and church. About this time
also the remaining lots of the block were purchased, making us sole owners
of the entire block. The corner lot on Fremont and Jackson was purchased for
$1,000. The old Roenfeldt dwelling which was on the corner of Wellman and
Jackson was obtained for $3,000. Mr. Frank Huot was a great help to us in
closing these deals. The city then permitted us to close the alley which at
that time ran directly behind the church and the old school. This permission
was obtained since we owned the entire block.
It had taken five years for St. Alphonsus Parish to have a
school, church and priests' house.
Abut this time a porch was added to the back of the priests'
house on the second floor.
The St. Aloysius Sodality for boys was organized on
The first Forty Hours Devotion in the parish was begun on
May 3 – The first May procession in the new church. Gertie Bernauer was chosen to place the crown on Our Lady’s statue.
May 31 – The first mission given in the new church was begun by Father Farncis Straubinger and Father Henry Phillips.
June 11 – The Holy Name Society was organized in the parish. Thirty-nine members were present at the meeting. Rev. Richard O’Reagan was appointed as moderator. Their Communion Sunday at that time was the 3rd Sunday. The first officers were: Frank Ganson, President; Henry Haase, Vice President; Frank Huot, Secretary; and John Engler, Treasurer.
Not mentioned so far in this short history of the societies of the parish are the ushers. As always there were men of the parish who served it well in promoting order at church services. In the early days, when Mass was said in the priests’ house, either the servers or any man present would take up the collection. But after a few years there were men present to fulfill that task and other functions that an usher is called upon to undertake. Some of he early ushers were Charles Tohor, Joe McGrath, Ed Behan, Kurt Wunsch, Joe Welch, Joe Capesius, Ray Mauget. This list is by no means complete. In 1923, Bernard Shaw was appointed head usher, followed by Erhard Reidman (1923-25); Al Van Camp (1925-27); Ludwig Klauer (1927-28) and Chet Wylie (1928 till present time). Some of the men still ushering from the early days are Vic Van Camp, Bill Sweeney, Al Pohlmann. The ushers are the truly unsung heroes without whose help chaos quite frequently would result.
The Redemptorist Fathers gave up the care of he parish in Bettendorf. It has been under their pastoral care from May 10, 1908 to May 10, 1915.
Father Peter Foerster was appointed pastor on July 10th.
Up to this time Mass had not been said in the Sisters’ Home but on September 2nd, the first Mass was celebrated and the Blessed Sacrament was reserved there.
The passageway between the church and priests’ house was converted into a chapel where Mass was said on weekdays in winter. But since that refuge was found inconvenient because of the cold, it was dropped after a short trial.
The statues of the Sacred Heart and St. Anthony, which we now have in church, were donated by some friends in Chicago.
The pipe organ that we now have was installed on March 3rd. It was paid for by donations of the parishioners.
Stained glass windows were installed in the church – two were donated by friends and the rest given by the Ladies’ Sodalities and the Holy Name Society.
The first public service in honor of Our Mother of Perpetual Help by means of a solemn novena (October 21-29) were begun as a result of the golden jubilee of the finding and restoration of the Miraculous picture to public veneration. It was conducted by the Fathers of the parish.
Progress was made to the Sisters’ home in the form of electricity and a telephone – August 30th.
Father Henry Schubert was appointed pastor on June 9th.
The first girl from the parish to enter the convent and persevere was Josephine Van Camp. She entered the Franciscan Order.
This was the year when everyone was having war gardens and the flu. The children of the school had both in abundance. The priest yard likewise was pressed into use.
The school was expanding gradually. On September 1st, the opening of school of that year, there were 135 students in four rooms.
This was the first mention of a new school because facilities were becoming too small for the increasing number of children wishing to enter school.
Father Patrick Barrett was appointed pastor of the parish on July 19th. Father Francis Straubinger was the first Redemptorist to die while stationed in Davenort on August 9th.
It was decided and announced that the weekly envelope system of collection would be introduced.
A porch was added along side of the priests’ house leading into the present religious article stand
The worthwhile organization of the Boy Scouts was organized with 20 boys. Al Van Camp was the first scout master.
The order of Masses on Sundays at this time were: 6,8,9 and 10:30. The 10:30 was added at the beginning of he year. A sign of expansion!
The statues of St. Gerard and St. Clement that we now have in church arrived on October 23rd of the year.
A mass meeting of the people of the parish was called to discuss ways and means of starting a building fund for a new school. 10 to 12 teams were organized to call on all families of he parish and solicit pledges to be paid on monthly. Each wager earner was expected to pledge $100.
This year saw the beginnings of one of the noteworthy traditions of the parish social schedule: The Minstrel Show. Father Henry Phillips asked Al Van Camp at a Holy Name meeting to undertake the organization of this type of show. This was the beginning. For years it was put on under the sponsorship of the Ushers Society. Since our facilities in the parish were not large enough, the first show was staged at St. Joseph’s Hall and continued there for five years after which it was shifted to The Friendly House where it has continued to the present time. The first director was Hans Nelson who directed it for 15 consecutive years. This show was the first and best of its kind among all the Catholic parishes of Davenport. The first pianist was “Babe” Behan followed by Neomi Keough Forbes.
Pew rent was abolished but the budget envelope system continued- two packets were handed out: One for current expenses and the other for the new school fund. The system of tuition was done away with. Instead of this arrangement each child received a box of envelopes and was expected to pay a dime on each Sunday
Father Edward Mattingly was appointed pastor on May 14th.
Rita Bertsch was invested at Mercy Hospital in the Mercy Order. She became the third girl to leave for the convent. The others had been Josephine Van Camp and Ligouri Mauget.
Bishop Davis asked the Redemptorists to take over the temporary charge of the church in Buffalo, Iowa on August 20th.
Rev. John Gimbel became the first Redemptorist from Davenport to be ordained. He was not from the parish.
A home belonging to Mr. Frank Kuhn was bought for the Sisters directly across the street from the church. The Sisters moved in near the end of August.
Buffalo Church was returned to the care of the secular clergy, November 1st.
Almost one year to the day of his ordination, Father John Gimbel was drowned in Lake Lac Le Belle in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin (site of the Redemptorist major seminary).
Bishop Rohlman was consecrated Bishop of Davenport.
A census of the parish showed 645 families – 20 families from the country.
Maurice Carroll, a Kansas City architect, was given the job of drawing plans for the new St. Alphonsus school. The estimated cost was $48,000. The location of the new school was the corner of Farragut and Jackson. On May 7th the contract for the new school was let to Kelly of Kansas City.
The Sisters’ old home (Thompson home) was sold for $700- it was later moved to corner of Jackson and Farragut.
On May 14th we began the perpetual Novena Devotions to Our Mother of Perpetual Help – the devotions were to be held every Tuesday. Up to this time only the solemn novena each year had been held in her honor but now the weekly devotiosn were a fixture in the parish.
Father Peter Geierman became the second Redemptorist to die while stationed at Davenport on July 5th at Mercy Hospital.
July 7th the corner stone for the new school was laid.
The crowds for the Tuesday devotions became so large that another service was added – there were two: 7:00 and 7:45 P.M. December 3rd they were changed to 7:00 and 8:00 P.M.
Bishop Rohlmann dedicated the new school on September 12th.
The Society for the Propogation of the Faith was established on October 20th.
November 21st – The Young Ladies Sodality begun.
Father Seifert was appointed pastor on May 12th.
The Sunday evening devotions were discontinued because of lack of attendance. Later it was brought back and was held from 7 till 8 P.M. and then changed from 4 to 5 P.M. We now have it from 5 to 5:30 P.M. on Sundays.
This was the year in which the depression affected the parish to a great extent. The parish income at this time dwindled to about 40 %. One bank was left in town.
Bishop Rohlmann requested that we organize a PTA in the parish and this was done on August 12th. Later in the year the parishioners and friends of St. Alphonsus donated gold, silver and jewelry which was to be used in manufacturing a chalice to commemorate the 200th anniversary of founding of the Redemptorist Congregation and also to mark its arrival in this country 100 years ago. The Chalice was designed and made by Louis Gerwe, Jr., a Davenport jeweler.
Father Lawrence Skinner was appointed pastor on June 22nd.
Father John Fanning became the first boy from the parish to be ordained. He entered the diocesan clergy. His first Mass was said on July 8th.
The popularity of the Tuesday devotions continued to increase and with it the demand for more services. The services were increased to four: 7 A.M. and 3:00, 6:30 and 7:30 P.M.
The Minstrel Show continued to grow in popularity through the years. This year a movement was started to have the show put on at the Orpheum Theatre for he benefit of the Red Cross to help them in their work with the flood victims in the Ohio Valley. Though the idea came to naught, it, nevertheless, showed in what esteem our annual production was held.
Father Thomas Berry was appointed pastor on June 15th.
Bishop Hayes was appointed pastor on June 15th.
The Legion of Mary was established in the parish. Its first meeting was held February 4th. Mary Duffy of Dublin, Ireland organized the Legion. Its first president was Evelyn Webb; Vice President, Mrs. John DePauw; Secretary, Rita Hubert; Treasurer, Tillie Vasquez. Its Spiritual Director was Father Hensgen.
Father Gerard Kulleck was appointed pastor July 18th. Plans were begun on October 18th to have an addition to the school to cost about $45,000. Work began on this project in 1947 and was completed the same year. The Sisters’ home, in the meantime, had become too crowded. Each year the number of Sisters was increased. An addition to their home was contemplated. The cost was to be met by voluntary donations. The parishioners gave very generously, as they always have, to the tune of $16,000.
The first two Redemptorist Priests to be ordained from the parish were Father Robert Oelerich and Father James Springer. Father Oelerich offered up his First Solemn Mass at St. Alphonsus Church on July 3rd; Father Springer offered it there the following week. Father Springer was assigned to the mission fields in Brazil by his superiors, Father Oelerich was assigned as a parish priest in Omaha, Nebraska.
Father Anthony Powers was appointed pastor on November15th.
The seat collection was abandoned once again. But in order to make up the loss in revenue a special collection was to be taken up once a month for the retirement of the parish debt. The Fire Department in their checkup ordered a fire escape added on to the school leading from the school attic.
On March 4th, Father Harry Vollman died at Mercy Hospital. He became the third Redemptorist to die here.
The present face of the church’s interior was brought about at this time. New altars, wood work reparis and refinishing gave the interior a new look. A new tabernacle was donated by the Van Camp Family.
Father Edward Malloy died at Mercy Hospital on February 18th.
Father Raymond Miller was appointed pastor on June 5th.
A much needed improvement on the school was partially solved at this time when a great portion of the yard was black topped. Ideas for improvements continued to flow. The decision to erect another addition to the school was reached and it was estimated that the cost would be in the neighborhood of $150,000.
The school drive opened on April 25th. The Dads’ Club was organized on April 29th. This organization was set up to take care of the sports program for the children of the school.
The theme of building continued to be played as the pastors of the city met to discuss the plans for a new central high school. This was a necessary move since the high schools for the boys and girls were inadequate.
April 5th saw the beginning of work on the new addition to our school. Since the amount of money gathered for the project was not sufficient to pay the costs and also to remove a $12,000 debt on the parish, a loan of $70,000 was obtained from the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co. The school addition was finished and the keys handed over to Father Miller by the contractor, Dean Fry, on December 1st.
The new wing with five rooms and a spacious hall in the basement opened for business on January 7th. Bishop Hayes dedicated the structure on February 3rd. The ground around the school was black topped on August 9th. This year saw the use of two lay teachers for the first time in a long while, Miss Catherine Millane and Miss Margaret Wandling.
At the present time the parish continues to grow. The opening up of new sections in the west end makes the future look bright. There are approximately 2,000 souls in the parish in 650 families. The Masses on Sunday have been increased to six. The number of Baptisms grow larger each year. The spiritual life of the parish flourishes – this is indicated by the number of Holy Communions received during 1957:- 74,150. We pray to Almighty God, through the Blessed Mother Mary and St. Alphonsus to continue to watch over and protect all the members of St. Alphonsus parish.
PATRONS OF ST. ALPHONSUS 1908-1958
|Albers, Mr. and Mrs. Ted
|Adalpe, Mr. Isaac
||Buchmeyer, Louis C
||DeWuld, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph
|Andrews, Mr.s Rita
||Burger, Mr. and Mrs. J.W. and Family
||Diehl, Mrs. H.
|Appleby, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred
||Burken, Loren F.
||Dittmer, Mrs. Edward
|Arnold, Mr. Darrell
||Dixon, Mr. and Mrs. George
|Bach, Mr. and Mrs. Chas.
|| Buys, Mrs. Russell
||The Ralph Dohrn Family
|Baker, Mr. Robert W
||Campbell, Mrs. Lynn
||Dohse, Mr .and Mrs. Fred and Virginia
|Baldridge, Mrs. Kathryn M
||Capesius, Joseph J
||Donnelley, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. G. Jr.
|Barry, Mrs. Elda I.
||Carroll, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. and Family
||Dorgan, Lawrence V.
|Barry, Emmet J
||Carstens, Mr. and Mrs. Fred
||Dorgan, Mary Pat
|Becker, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred A.
||Castel, Mr. Jesus and Family
||Dorgan, Mr and Mrs. Vincent
|Behan, Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose J.
||Cawiezell, Mr. Aloysius
||Dorgan, Mr. William
|Behan, Mr. Ray
||Cawiezell, Miss Camilla
||Dulansky, Mr. and Mrs. Joe
|Behan, Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester
||Cawiezell, Miss Cecelia E.
|Behan, Mr and Mrs. Vern
|Belden, Patricia M.
||Cawiezell, Mrs. Ivan
||Ebertowski, Mr. and Mrs. Gehard and Margaret
|Bell, Mr. and Mrs. Robert L.
||Cawiezell, Mrs. J.H.
||Eickhoff, Mrs. Mary
|Bergbauer, Mrs. Edwin
||Cawiezell, Mr. Joseph J.
||Ellison, Mr. and Mrs. James J.
||Cawiezell, Martha U.
||Elvidge, Mr. and Mrs. Richard
|Bernauer, Mrs. Margaret
||Cetanyan, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph
||Chapman, Mr. and Mrs. John
|Berry, Mary Ann
||Epping, Clara M
|Bittner, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene
||Coleman, Mrs. Freda
||Fangmann, Mr. and Mrs. Dale
|The Bloom Family
||Collier, Mr. and Mrs. Jess
||Fangmann, Mr. and Mrs. Emil, Sr.
|Blumer, Mr. and Mrs. T.E.
||Concannon, Mr and Mrs. J.W.
||Faulhaber, Mr. and Mrs. Tom
|Booth, Dick and Judy
||Conwell, Mrs. Jack
||Fell, John A.
|Booth, Mr. and Mrs. James
||Cook, Mr. and Mrs. Elwood
||Fell, Mr. and Mrs. John K.
|Brennan, Mr. Ed.
||Ferris, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Sr.
|Brennan, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph
||Cosper, Mr. and Mrs. Lyle
|Briceland, Mrs. H.B.
||Costello, Mr. and Mrs. Martin
||Finkenhoefer, Mr. and Mrs. Joe
|Bruckner, Emilie J.
||Cuttler, Mrs. Wm.
|Bruhn, Mr. Henry and Family
||Daley, Mrs. Wm.
||Finkenhoefer, Paul J.
|Bruhn, Mr. John H.
||Dalzell, Miss Louise
||Finkenhoefer, Mr. and Mrs. S.J.
||Daniel, Mr. and Mrs. Robert and Family
||Fischer, Mr. and Mrs. W.J.
|Brune, Ronald L.
||d' Autremont, Mr. and Mrs. Harold P. and Family
||Fitzsimmons, Mr. and Mrs. R.W., Mike, Holly and Kem
|Bryant, Mrs. Henry
||DeCook, Mr. Tom
||Fitzsimmons, Mrs. Mary
|Bryant, Mr. Joseph
|Flynn, Bess and Ella
||Hartvigsen, John J.
||Keller, Martin and Marie
|Frederick, James P.
||Hartvigsen, Linda Sue
|Freeman, Joan and Moira
||Hartvigsen, Richard C.
||Kelly, Mr. and Mrs. A.E.
|Fuller, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth H.
||Hartvigsen, Thomas E.
||Kelly, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer
||Hass, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph
||Kelly, Paul S.
|Gadient, Mrs. Harold and Children
||Hasson, Mr. and Mrs. Floyd
||Kelsey, Sally A.
|Gannon, Mr. Joseph
||Haut, Mr. and Mrs. Henrich
||Kelsey, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. N.
|Gartz, Mr. and Mrs. J.F.
||Hayman, Mr. and Mrs. John L.
||Kelso, Mrs. A.E.
|Gaukler, Phil. Family
||Kelso, Mr. and Mrs. Harold
|Gayman, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. J. Sr
||Hazen, Mr. and Mrs. H.J.
||Kelso, Mr. and Mrs. LeRoy
|Gayman, Mr. and Mrs. Donald J.
||Hedges, Theresa Mae
||Kieffert, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. A.
|Gerhard, Mrs. Peter
|Goffar, John P.
||Helmel, Mr. and Mrs. John
||Kloppenborg, John P.
|Goodall, Mr. and Mrs. Dean
||Henning, Mrs. Ellen
||Kloppenborg, Nick and Family
|Goossen, Mary Ann
||Henning, Mrs. Robert E.
||Klouda, Mr. and Mrs. J.P., Jr.
|Goossen, Mr. and Mrs. Wm and Robert
||Kopp, Mrs. Katherine
|Graaf, Edward and Myrtle
||Koranda, Aloise A.
|Gravert, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel
||Koranda, Mrs. Alvira E.
|Grieder, Mr. and Mrs. Herman
|Grothus, Mr. and Mrs. James and Family
||Hermiston, Mrs. John Sr.
||Kubatska, Mr. and Mrs. John and Joseph
|Gutierrez, Jesse and Family
||Higgins, Mary Jo
||Kulbieda, Mr. and Mrs. Harry J.
|Haase, Mr. and Mrs. Robert
||Hirzsiefen, Mr. and Mrs. V.J.
||LaMar, Mr. and Mrs. Francis
||Lang, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph
|Hagga, Mr. and Mrs. Harve (Ann Matthys)
||Hosch, Mr. and Mrs. Leon and Vivian
||Laughlin, Mr. and Mrs. James
|Halfman, Richard and Family
||Hotka, Mr. and Mrs. Donald
||Leahy, Elizabeth C.
|Halligan, Mr. and Mrs. H.
||Hughes, Mrs. Robert
||Leahy, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. J.
|Hansen, Mr. and Mrs. H.R.
||Ingham, Mrs. Caroline
||Lelonek, Mr. and Mrs. M.C.
|Hansen, Mr .and Mrs. Raymond
||Jackson, Mr. Leo E.
||Lemberg, Mr. and Mrs. Jerry
|Hanson, Mr. and Mrs. Michael E.
||Jackson, Mrs. Leo E.
|Hanson, Mr. and Mrs. Paul and Family
||Lenaghan, Mary B.
|Hartmann, Alex N.
||Janssen, Mrs. Geo and Kathleen
||Leonard, Mrs. Harry
|Hartvigsen, Mr. Earl
||Janssen, Mr. and Mrs. Harry and Family
||Loihl, Robert and Family
|Hartvigsen, Mrs. Earl
||Joens, Mary Louise
||Loter, Jesse E.
||Johnson, Mrs. Earl
||Macken, Mrs. D.C.
||Karns, Mrs. Clara
||Mackey, Mr. and Mrs. John
||Keller, Mr. and Mrs. Carl
|Maher, Mr. Leo M.
||Miller, Mr. and Mrs. Robert
||Owens, Mrs. Viola
|Maher, Mr. and Mrs. Peter
||Mirfield, Mrs. Patricia
||Parker, Mr. and Mrs. C.H.
|Mahoney, Mr. and Mrs. Jack and Family
||Mitchell, Mrs. Everett and Family
||Parker, Dennis D.
|Mahoney, Mr. and Mrs. James
||Mitchell, Mrs. Isabell
||Paul, Mrs. Edmon F.
|Malik, Mr. and Mrs. Francis
||Mohr, Olive (In memory Henrietta Mohr)
|Manley, Donald L.
|Mansfield, Mr. and Mrs. John F.
||Monk, Mr. and Mrs. Don L.
|Masterson, Mr. and Mrs. Ed.
||Montague, Mr and Mrs. Robert and Family
|Matthys, Mr. and Mrs. Albert (Phyllis DeCook)
||Moore, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence
||Peters, Dolores M.
|Matthys, Mr and Mrs. Bernard (Agnes Van Camp)
||Moore, Mary Ann, Tom and Danny
||Peters, Donald Anthony
|Matthys, Bernard G. and Children
||Morris, Mrs. Howard and Children
||Peters, Pfc. James
|Matthys, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest
||Morrison, Miss Florence
|Matthys, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph
||Peters, Mr. and Mrs. Oliver
|McAuley, Miss Bell
||Mudd, Norman R.
||Picklum, Mr. and Mrs. Frank
|McDermott, J.J. Family
|McDonnell, Mrs. Julia
||Mueller, Miss LaVerne
||Pohlmann, Mrs. Frank
|McElroy, Mr. and Mrs. Chas.
||Mueller, Mary M.
||Powers, Mrs. Frances
|McElroy, Mr. Don and Family
||Mueller, Mr. and Mrs. Mathias
||Powers, Phil D., Sr.
|McGarry, Mrs. Mayme
||Munkirs, Mrs. J.A.
||Powers, Phil D., Jr.
|McGinnn, Mrs. D.B.
||Nelles, Mr. and Mrs. Frances H.
||Powers, Mr. and Mrs. Wm.
||Neufeld, Mrs. Frank
||Price, Mr. and Mrs. Dewey
|McGrath, Patrick F. and Steve
||Printz, Mr .and Mrs. Albert
|McGuire, Miss Rita A.
||Nobis, Mrs. Dick
||Quinlan, Mr .and Mrs. Tom (Dorothy Matthys)
||O'Brien, Mr. and Mrs. Ray
||Rada, Mr. and Mrs. Wm.
|McManus, Mr. and Mrs. Paul
||O'Connor, Catherine M.
||Randolph, Grace V.
|McSwiggin, John J.
||O'Connor, Lois M.
||Randolph, Mrs. Viola
|Meinhardt, Mr and Mrs. O.F.
||O'Donnell, Mr. and Mrs. Vincent
|Meyer, Mr. and Mrs. Vern
||O'Farrell, Mr. and Mrs. R.M.
||Ray, Ralph E.
|Meyers, Mr. and Mrs. Wm.
||O'Hare, Mr. and Mrs. Leo
||Rice, Earl Family
||O'Hern, Mrs. L.F.
||Richardson, Mrs. C.M.
||O'Hern, Miss Mary E.
|Miller, Mrs. Bertha
||O'Toole, Mr. and Mrs. John
|Miller, Mrs. C.B.
||Oelerich, John H., Jr.
||Roe, Mr. and Mrs. Orville J.
|Miller, Chas. F.
||Oelerich, Mr. and Mrs. John P.
||Roenfeldt, Mr .and Mrs. E., Roger D. and Pamela Ann
|Miller, John G.
||Oelerich, Rev. Robert M. C.SS.R
||Roth, Mr. and Mrs. John, Sally Jo and Rick
||Orr, Loras and Family
||Rubley, Mr Robert E.
|Rumpp, Mr. Herman
||Springer, Mr. Robert
|Rupe, Mrs. David R.
||Starkovich, Mr and Mrs. Victor
||Van Fossen, Mrs. J.A.
|Ryan, Mrs. Edna
||Steffen, Mrs. Clara
||Vieger, Mr. and Mrs. Al.
|Rybaski, Mr. and Mrs. John
||Steffen, Frank Jr.
||Vieger, Mr. and Mrs. Donald J.
|Sampson, Mr. and Mrs. Howard O., Jr.
||Stepp, Mr. and Mrs. Harold
||Vieger, Mr. Edward F.
||Stoker, Mrs. Don
||Vieger, Mr. and Mrs. Henry W.
|Schaeffer, Mr and Mrs. Al and Children
||Stoltenberg, Mr. Emory
||Volz, Mr. Lester
||Stolze, Mr. H.J.
||Volz, Miss Mary
|Schebler, Mrs. Irene
||Strong, Mr .and Mrs. Albert
||Walloch, Mr. and Mrs. J.J.
|Schenck, Mrs. Sidney
||Walz, Mr .and Mrs. John
||Stuckel, Mr. Lee
||Walz, Mr. and Mrs. Paul
|Schloemer, Mr. and Mrs. T.J.
||Suhl, Mr and Mrs. Walter
||Walsh, Mr. and Mrs. Stanley E.
||Sunderbruch, Art and Family
||Warfield, Mr. and Mrs. Terry
|Schoo, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth and Family
||Sunderbruch, Mrs. J. Fred
||Weber, Mr. and Mrs. C.E.
|Schrader, Mrs. Herbert
||Swanson, Mr. and Mrs. Ivyl
||Weber, Nancy Lou
|Schrader, Mary Jo
||Sweeney, Bill, Jr.
|Schwieters, Urban J. Family
||Weichman, Mr. and Mrs. R.T.
||Sweeney, John O.
||Welch, Mr. Frank G. and Family
|Senger, Philip X.
||Sweeney, Mrs. M.
||Weslh, Mrs. E.L.
|Seward, Mr. and Mrs. Jim and Family
||Sweeney, Mr .and Mrs. W.D.
|Shafer, Mr. and Mrs. Robert and Family
||Tandeski, Mr. and Mrs. John
||Werthman, Mr. and Mrs. S.A.
|Shelangaski, Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd
||Tandeski, Mr. and Mrs. C.
||Westerhof, Mr. and Mrs. Theodore and Sons
|Simon, Mr. and Mrs. Harvey
||Tiernan, Ludmilla Vanek
||Weyhgandt, Mr. and Mrs. W.C.
|Slattery, Mr .and Mrs. James P. and Margaret V.
||Tofanelli, Mr. and Mrs. John
||Widigen, Mr. and Mrs. Albert
||Trainor, Mr. John
||Widigen, Miss Beverly
|Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Leo E.
||Trainor, Mrs. Margaret (deceased)
||Wilharber, Mr. C.H.
|Smith, Patricia J.
|Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Wm.
||Truly, Mr. Andrew
|Smith, Mr and Mrs. Wm. L.
||Underdonk, Mr. and Mrs. Robert and Dolores
|Sokoll, Mr. and Mrs. Frank
||Underdonk, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene and Family
||Winfield, Mary C.
|Spalding, Mr. and Mrs. Paul
||Van Camp, Mr. and Mrs. Al
||Winfield, Mrs. Maude
|Speicher, Mr. and Mrs. C.O.
||Van Camp, Mr. Charles
||Wiseman, Mr. and Mrs. R.D.
||Van Camp, Mr. and Mrs. Edward (deceased)
||Wooldridge, Mrs. M.
|Springer, Mr. and Mrs. Leo
||Van Camp, Mr. Charles
||Wunsch, Arnold E.
||Van Camp, Sister Mary Ligouri
||Wunsch, Arthur K.
||Van Camp, Sister Edward
||Wunsch, Hannah M.
||Van Camp, Mr. and Mrs. Victor
||Wunsch, Kurt A., (deceased)
||Vance, Mr. and Mrs. Alex
||Wylie, Mr. and Mrs. Chester
||Wylie, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Q.