DAVENPORT PAST AND PRESENT
It is a telling indication of the enterprise and good sense fo the pioneers of the County, that one of their earliest movements was to secure the benefits of that omnipresent Americanism-a NEWSPAPER. They were fortunate in securing the very man they did to undertake the entriprise - one who possessed the peculiarity of having a deal of practical good sense, and one who was neither scholar enough to play the role of a pedantic essayist, or philosophical enought to treat his readers to a hebdominal dish of metaphysics, as is not unfrequently the case of those handling the Quill Editorial at the present day. Such was ANDREW LOGAN, who in August, 1838, issued the first number of the "Iowa Sun, and Davenport and Rock Island News," - a title as lengthy as significant. Right well did the Sun battle for the interests of the City, County, and State; and we do its editor no more than justice, when it is asserted that his share towards building up Davenport, and inducing hither many a rich freight of immigration, was none of the least felt or important. The Sun was a weekly, democratic, underwent one enlargement, and was continued until 1841, when it was succeeded by the
DAVENPORT WEEKLY GAZETTE.
The Gazette was started as a Weekly, imperial size (22 by 32,) six columns, by ALFRED SANDERS. In 1848 it was enlarged to a seven column paper. August 1st, 1853, the Tri-Weekly Gazette was commenced, and was succeeded by the Daily Gazette in October, 1854. The Weekly and Daily are still published, and are of the largest size. It was edited by Alfred Sanders up to 1857, and published by him until 1843, when he associated with him Mr. Davis. The latter gentleman continued until January 1st, 1857, a member of the firm, and was then succeeded by Add. H. Sanders, brother of the principal proprietor, and former editor of the Evansville (Ind.) Journal. The firm now - editorial and publishing - is SANDERS & BRO.
The Gazette has now been an institution of the country for some seventeen years, - a length of existence that sufficiently guarantees its permanency. The Senior, Alfred Sanders, is of scholarly attainments, particularly in Natural History, and has thus far been thoroughly identified, both with the West and Journalism. He has never missed issuing a number of the Gazette since its beginning, and has often achieved this, under circumstances which would have daunted men of less energy, or of less pride in their profession. As a writer he is less brilliant than solid, rather shy of ornament, and prefers generally to present facts in puris naturalibus. He writes earnestly, and will in many cases carry conviction simply from the deep air of conviction - of faith - which his articles present. Did space permit, we might allude more at length both to his character as a writer, and his efforts, enterprise, preseverance, and sagacity, in developing the interests both of his party and Davenport. We need not dwell upon these points, however well deserving they are of eulogy, as his is well enough known to render either panegyric or particular notice superfluous.
His brother, Add. H. Sanders, has acquired no unenviable reputation as a ready, sparkling, and piquant writer. He is largely imaginative has a keen appreciation of the humourous, notices instinctively the ludicrous both in men and things, and possesses the rare faculty of easy and graceful expression. Many of the best waifs of anecdotal literatue, which periodically appear and disappear upon the waves of Journalism, owe to him their existence. We cannot but regret that he has not entirely turned his attention to description and other departments having origin in the possession of a ready pen, active fancy, and much imagination.
We are happy to be able to add that the long and arduous labors of the proprietors of the Gazette have not been unrewarded. Their present establishment consists of two editors, three carriers, and some eighteen compositors, pressmen, &c. They use a Steam Engine of six horse power, Taylors' Steam Press, Hoe's Card, Ruggles'Card, American Steam, two Hand Diamond Job, and Wells' Power Job Presses.
THE WEEKLY BANNER.
This sheet was started by Alexander Montgomery in 1848, as a Democratic sheet. In the winter of 1848 and 1849 it fell under the charge and ownership of R. Smithem, and in the Spring of 1849 it was transferred to T. D. Eagal, who held it until 1851. J. W. Wheeler then took charge of it, but soon after sold out to Austin Corbin, who in 1852 was bought out by R. S. Millar. He sold to T. D. Eagal in 1853, who continued its publication until 1855, when it was bout by Messrs. Hildreth, Richardson, & West, and was changed to the Iowa State Democrat, under which name it is still published. Of the influence and character of the Banner we cannot speak from observation, - it, however, done much undoubtedly towards preserving an efficient organization of the party whose interest is advocated.
THE TEMPERANCE ORGAN.
This sheet was established November 1855, by H. Price and others. It was published by A. P. Luse & Co.
The Organ did good services for its party for about one year, and was then discontinued.
THE WEEKLY UNION.
This sheet was published for a few months in the Fall of 1856, with a view to aid the election of Millard Fillmore to the Presidency. It was edited by the well known Col. Wm. Brown.
IOWA STATE DEMOCRAT.
Notice has been taken before of the origin of this paper in 1855. The Daily was commenced in October 1856, enlarged from seven to eight columns in April, 1857, to nine in October 1857. The Democrat was started with a Hand Press, and a debt of some $1500. It now is printed by Steam, and has amply remunerated its enterprising proprietors. The establishment has one Washington Hand press, a Steam Cylinder Press, Hoe's Medium Large Cylinder Press, Ruggles' Rotary Circular and Card Press, and some twelve hands, besides an ample stock of other material. A Weekly is also published.
The Democrat is now conducted by Messrs. Richardson & West, than whom the editorial and publishing fraternities, posses no more enterprising, gentlemanly, or reliable members. They have achieved a success on their paper, which at once indicates their energy and the character of the West.
Mr. Hildreth died in September of 1857. The following obituary is taken from the State Democrat:
"Mr. Hildreth was born in Johnstown, Fulton county, N. Y., September 12th, A. D. 1809, which would make him just 48 years old to-day. Mr. Hildreth was a son of Matthias B. Hildreth, Esq., formerly Attorney General of the State of New York. His life has been an eventful one, filled with the lights and shades of prosperity and adversity. He was left an orphan at the age of fifteen, and inherited a large fortune. He was a graduate of Union College of that State, after which he engaged in the wholdsale dry goods and jobbing trade in Albany, N. Y. After a few years he became embarrassed in business and failed, and lost his entire fortune in the failure. He then removed to Johnstown, N. Y., and was there elected a magistrate and Master in Chancery.
Previous to his engaging in business in Albany, he received the appointment by commission, of Major in the Staff of Gov. Troup.
He was married in Johnstown, in 1839, to Mrs. A. E. J. West, who survives to mourn his loss.
From Johnstown he removed to Kenosha, Wisconsin, in 1843, where he was universally beloved and esteemed, and was there elected to many offices of honor and trust, which he filled to the entire satisfaction of all parties. He moved to Peoria, State of Illinois, in 1853, and became associated in the publication of a journal called the Daily Morning News. From Peoria he moved to Davenport in October, 1855, and in company with Messrs. Richardson and West, purchased the old Banner newspaper of T. D. Eagal, Esq., and with them commenced the publication of the Daily Iowa State Democrat, of which he was the Senior Editor until his lamented decease.
Mr. Hildreth was a man of most generous impulses, and had a faculty of making and retaining friends. He was a fast and reliable friend, a kind husband, and an Old School Jeffersonian Democrat. He was uncompromising in his political views, but he never allowed politics to intrude into his social or business relations. All who knew him, esteemed him for his generous heart. In his death his family has lost a valuable friend, the public a generous hearted citizen, and the Democratic party one of its strong pillars."
This sheet, Daily and Weekly, was started by Harrington & Wilkie, September 1856. It continued in their possession over a year, and was then purchased by John Johns, Jr., & Co. The News is Administration Democratic, and takes a leading position in Journalism. It is edited by John Johns, Jr., Edward L Kerr, and Chas. C. Harris. All are good writers, - the first two in political discussions and essays, and the last as a perpetrator of "good things," ludicrous, witty, and otherwise.
The News has a good Job Office, containing a Guernsey's Power Press, Hand Presses, and ample other material appertaining to such a department.
DER DEMOKRAT, (German.)
Republican - Daily, Tri-Weekly, and Weekly. Started 1851, by T. Guelich, and now published by H. Lischer & Co. Edited by Theo. Olshausen.
REAL ESTATE REGISTER.
Monthly, by Allen & Clark. This sheet takes a first class position among papers of its kind. Its Financial articles during the past winter have been of the ablest character, and have done much towards sustaining the credit and advancing the interests of Davenport abroad. Started Mai, 1857.