DAVENPORT PAST AND PRESENT
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Established in the Spring of 1838: Pastor, James D. Mason; Members, one hundred and ninety; Church, forty-five by seventy feet, with basement; Sunday School, about one hundred pupils; Volumes in Library, eight hundred and forty-one.
DAVENPORT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
This Church was organized on the 30th day of July, 1839, by Rev. Albert Hale, now pastor of a Presbyterian Church in Springfield, Illinois, and then Agent of the "American Home Missionary Society." Two Congregational Churches then existed in the Territory of Iowa, those of Denmark and Danville. The same year a Congregational Church was formed in Fairfield, and the next year one at Farmington. These are the five oldest Congregational Churches in the State. The original members of this Church were twelve in number. All brought letters from other Churches-two from the First Congregational Church in Quincy, Illinois; three from the First Congregational Church in Brattleboro,' Vermont; four from the First Presbyterian Church in Galesburg Illinois, and three from the First Presbyterian Church in Davenport. Missionary explorers had reported a town here of "five hundred" people, and that "Stephenson," in Illinois, had "six Hundred." Those who united in the new Church organization were, at the time, sustaining a Sabbath School and a Prayer Meeting. "Principles, By Laws, Articles of Faith, and a Covenant," were adopted, (Mr. Hale in the Chair,) and two deacons elected. In all these things the pattern of the Orthodox Puritan Churches of New England was followed. At first, sermons were read by one of the deacons, on the Sabbath, in a room hired for public worship. The first ordained minister who preached to them was Rev. J. P Stuart, of Stephenson. Mr. S. was commissioned by the American Home Missionary Society for "Stephenson and vicinity" in August 1839, and preached in Davenport, as part of that "vicinity." from July, 1840, to the beginning of winter. In September, 1841, a call was extended to the Rev Reuben Gaylord, since pastor at Danville, now at Omaha City, N. T., which was not accepted. The same month, Rev. A. B. Hitchcock, from the Theological Department of Yale College, was invited to minister to the Church, and commissioned 'y the American Home Missionary Society as a missionary for this place. The Church then numbered fifteen or eighteen members. Mr. Hitchcock remained till September 1843, when he accepted an invitation to take charge of a Church at Moline. During his ministry thirty two members were received. In 1844, Rev. Ephraim Adams, of Mount Pleasant, was invited to minister to the Church, and commissioned in November of that year. Mr. Adams was installed some time in the summer of 1847 as pastor.-the first pastor. The Church was aided by the American Home Missionary Society in sustaining its minister till November. Mr. Adams continued pastor till 1855. During his ministry one hundred and seventy-eight persons were added to the Church, forty-seven of whom united at the communion in March 1855, the last preceding Mr. Adam's resignation.
The present pastor commenced his labors in June, 1855, was called to the pastorship in November of that year, and installed January 2d, 1856. During his ministry one hundred and thirty-two persons have been received to the Church. It now numbers two hundred and forty members.
Others, besides those mentioned above, have ministered to the Church for shorter periods of time; among them Rev. Oliver Emerson, Jr., for many years since pastor at Sabula, during a number of months in 1841.
The place of worship has been several times changed. The Church was organized in the small school building on the west side of Main street, near Fourth, and opposite St. Anthony's, Catholic Church. Afterward, Sabbath service was held at the foot of Harrison street, on the Levee, then at the foot of Brady, then on Harrison, near Fourth, and then in the Main Street School House again. The present Church building, on Fifth street, was erected in 1844. It has been enlarged twice-in 1852, and in 1855. Its original dimensions were twenty-eight feet by thirty-eight; present size, forty by sixty-two feet.
The Church owns three contiguous lots on the corner of Fifth and Main street-on one of which the place of worship now stands-extending, in all, one hundred and ninety-two feet on Fifth street, by one hundred and fifty feet on Main street. The corner lot on Main street was purchased in August, 1855, with a view to the erection of a larger house of worship. The present edifice is altogether insufficient for the wants of the congregation.
The regular Sabbath services are held in the morning and evening; and the afternoon of the Sabbath is devoted to the Sabbath School. The Monthly Concert of Prayer for the conversion of the world is held on the first Monday evening of each month, and on other Monday evenings a Young People's meeting. Prayer meetings (for ladies) on Wednesday afternoon, and (for all) on Thursday evening. Social meetings to promoted personal acquaintance are occasionally held.
The present officers of the Church are as follows:
Pastor, Rev. George F. Magoun; Deacons, David Gower, F. B. Abbott, Charles S. Shelton; Sunday School Superintendents, Charles S. Shelton, E. Alden; Librarian, Jerome C. Lambrite; Church Committee, John L. Davies, J. R. Shepherd, J. B. Sutton; Clerk, J. Smith Connor; Treasurer, H. L. Bullen.
The Sabbath School numbers something over two hundred scholars; library three hundred volumes; Church library one hundred and fifty-one volumes. There is a Young People's Association for doing good, of forty members. The benevolent contributions of the Church last year were three thousand six hundred and thirty-two dollars.
The organization of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Iowa was effected at Muscatine in August 1853; but the election of a Bishop did not take place until the first of June, 1854. The Convention sat in Davenport, in the basement-room of the First Presbyterian Church, Trinity now being ready for use. The Rt. Rev. Dr. Kemper, Missionary Bishop of the North-west, presided. The balloting resulted in the election of the Rev. Henry W. Lee, D. D., then Rector of St. Luke's Church, Rochester, N. Y. The Bishop-elect was consecrated in Rochester in October of the same year, and soon entered upon his new duties. Having made his first visitation to the Diocese, he selected Davenport as his place of residence, it being, in his judgment, the most eligible and covenient point with reference to his duties. The Diocese of Iowa includes the entire State; and from thirteen parishes, and eight clergymen in 1854, it has increased to thirty parishes and twenty-five clergymen in January, 1858. Bishop Lee, at the present time, has also the Episcopal charge of the Territory of Nebraska; this being, however, but a temporary arrangement.
The first and regular services of the Protestant Episcopal Church were commenced in Davenport on Thursday, the 14th day of October, 1841, by the Rev. Z. H. Goldsmith, who was appointed as a Missionary to the Station by the Domestic Committee of the Board of Missions of the Protestant Episcopal Church-his time being divided at intervals between Davenport and Rockingham, which latter place, at the time, promised to be of the most importance. A. Parish was regularly organized at Davenport on Thursday, the 4th of November, 1841, by the name and title of "Trinity Church Parish;" and a Vestry was elected, resulting in the following choice: Ira Cook, J. W. Parker, W. W. Dodge, Ebenezer Cook, H S. Finley.
The regular meetings of the Parish for public worship were held during a succession of years, and until November of 1853, in the small frame building still standing on the west side of Main street, between Fourth and Fifth streets, occupying the middle lot of that half block, when it was abandoned as no longer tenantable. Divine services were held during the same winter of 1853, and until April of 1854, in the store room at the north-east corner of Rock Island and Second streets, and from April, until the completion and occupancy of the new edifice of Trinity church, in August of 1854, in the house of the present Rector, Rev. A. Louderback, known as the Emerson House, on Second street, between Rock Island and Perry streets.
The incumbency of the Rev. Z. H. Goldsmith continued until the spring of 1849, when, in the following year, he was displaced from the ministry, and continued to reside here until his death, which occurred in the summer of 1853. The resignation of the Rev. Z. H. Goldsmith, which occurred on the first of April, 1849, was followed by the call and settlement of the present Rector, Rev. Alfred Louderback, as Rector and Missionary, on the 5th of May following, making a vacancy of one month in the Parish-since which time he has continued in uninterrupted charge of the Church. When he assumed the charge of the Parish and Station, at a salary of two hundred dollars per annum, with a like sum from the Domestic Committee, he found the Parish in debt some seven hundred dollars-or twice the amount of what the church lot and building were then considered worth-with about nine communicants in all, and an immense increasing prejudice against the Church, and with but little prospect of its permanent and successful establishment. Patient, continued, and persevering efforts, however, amidst no ordinary discouragements, have met with success. For, frequently, after careful preparation for the duties of the pulpit, there would not be over ten or fifteen persons present to join in the services, and listen to the sermon; while, at the same time, the Parish was without a Surplice, or Communion set, a Melodeon, a Sunday School library, or any of those external appliances and aids so necessary to give effect and interest to the public services, because the poverty of the congregation would not admit of procuring them. At the expiration of the second year these necessary aids were obtained, and also a complete set of plans from Mr. Frank Wills, of New York city, who generously furnished them at a trifling cost. A subscription was, at the same time, started with a view to building the present edifice of Trinity Church, and on the 5th of May, 1852, just three years from the time the present Rector assumed charge, the corner-stone was laid by the Right Rev. Bishop Kemper, D. D., then in Episcopal charge of Iowa, as yet unorganized into a Diocese. The walls rose to their proper height during that year, and remained bare the following winter, until the spring of 1853, when the roof was put on, and the building plastered and floored, and the windows roughly closed up, in which condition it stood until the spring of 1854, when it was determined to finish it off. Contracts were made accordingly, and its occupation entered upon by the congregation on Sunday, the 20the day of August, of the same year, 1854. The original cost of the two lots in 1851, and now owned by the Parish, was five hundred dollars-the cost of the edifice about ten thousand dollars-the organ, one of Erben's buildt of New York city, and the generous gift of Gen. George B. Sargent, seven hundred dollars--in addition to which, the Parish holds about eight or nine acres of ground, being a part of the "Pine Hill Cemetery," as a burial ground for their dead--being, in all, a property worth, at the lowest estimate, over twenty thousand dollars, and all in a perfectly safe condition. In conducting the praise are due to the untiring interest, generosity, and zeal of Mr. Ebenezer Cook, who has been the constant friend and liberal supporter of the Parish throughout its entire history, without mentioning what is due to the efforts of the Rector.
The whole number of communicants, which have been connected with the Parish, at various times, is about one hundred and forty. Number of baptisms-adults, twenty-two; infants, one hundred and nineteen; making in all one hundred and forty-one. Confirmations, thirty-four; marriages, thirty-eight; burials, eighty-one; present number of communicants about sixty-five. Size of the Church at present, about seventy-five feet long, by thirty-five feet broad, in the clear, exclusive of chancel recess, with a view to enlargement, at a future day, by the addition of transcepts, so as to make a cruci-form building, Capable of seating about three hundred persons at present; when enlarged, as plans call for, affording sittings for about one thousand persons. Parochial Library, for the reading of the congregation, mostly imported English works, of near four hundred volumes, the generous gift of Ebenezer Cook. Sunday School Library of about one hundred and forty volumes. Sunday School scholars, about sixty; teachers, six; Rector, superintendent. "Parochial Association" meets the first and third Tuesday evenings in every month, except during Lent, at the houses of Parishoners, with a view to promoting acquaintance, and sociality among the members of the congregation, and exciting a deeper interest in the welfare of the Parish. Church chairs purchased, from the avails of that association, at a cost of about one hundred and seventy-five dollars, being the contribution of one dime per month from members, with one dime, also, as entrance fee.
On the 2d of April, 1856, canonical consent being asked for the organization of a new Parish by a few families formerly connected with Trinity Church, and others uniting, the requisite leave was granted, which resulted in the existence of St. Luke's Parish, without any detriment to the old organization.
ST. LUKE'S CHURCH.
Established April 4th, 1856; Pastor, Horatio N. Powers; Number of members, forty; Size of Church one hundred and twelve feet by forty-five, with basement fourteen feet high, containing five rooms. Size of Sunday School, thirty scholars.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Established June 1st, 1842; Pastor, Geo. Dixon Bowen; Members, three hundred and seventy five; Church, forty-four by sixty-eight feet, with basement; Sunday School, one hundred and seventy-five pupils; Volumes in Library, three hundred.
At the organization of this church, in June, 1842, the society consisted of about twenty members, and were possessed of no Church property of any kind. Since which time another Church has been formed from it, to wit, "Wesley Chapel," and the old organized Church now numbers three hundred and seventy-five members, with a neat and comfortable Church, forty-four by sixty-eight feet, with end galery, and class rooms and lecture room below, the whole Church, above and below, lighted with gas.
There is also a Parsonage building on the same lot, twenty-four by forty-five feet, two stories, with basement, and also on rear of same lot, a neat and comfortable house for the use of the Sexton.
The entire Church property is vested in Trustees, and is clear of debt.
Established 1856; Pastor, D. C. Worts; members, sixty; Church, forty by sixty feet; Sunday School, ninety pupils; Volumes in library, two hundred and fifty.
Rev. J. P. Linderman organized the Society, and was its first pastor.
FIRST ENGLISH EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Established November 25, 1855; Pastor, Jacob Steek; Members, twenty-five; Sunday School, seventy-five scholars; Volumes in Library, three hundred.
This Society has yet no Church edifice, but has one in contemplation, which will be finished next Summer.
FIRST ASSOCIATE REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
This Church is situated on the south-east corner of Scott and Eleventh streets, on a lot of ground donated by Mr. James McIntosh. It is a neat, plain frame building, thirty-five by forty-five feet, and calculated to seat between three and four hundred persons. It was founded A. D. 1856.
The congregation numbers about sixty members, and is under the Pastoral care of Rev. Samuel M. Hutchison. They have a Sabbath School of thirty-one scholars, and six teachers, with a library of one hundred and seventy-five volumes.
It may be observed that this Church is in its infancy, and is the only one of the kind in Davenport. It belongs to a large and influential branch of the Presbyterian family, which originated in a union of Associate Presbyterians and Reformed Presbyterians, who came from Scotland and Ireland, as Missionaries, prior to the revolution, and in the year 1782, they united together, and retaining their primitive names in one, have since been known by the name of Associate Reformed Presbyterians. An effort has been made to unite this body with the Associate Presbyterians-if this proves successful, it may change the name of this Church to United or Union Presbyterian.
SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, N. B.
Established May 4, 1857; Pastor, D. F. Packard; Members, twenty-one; number of Congregation, one hundred; Sunday School, twenty-five pupils; Volumes in Library, two hundred and fifty.
SECOND BAPTISH CHURCH.
Established Oct. 7, 1851; Pastor, I. Butterfield; Members, three hundred; size of Church, forty-four by eighty-six feet; Sunday School, two hundred and twenty-five pupils; Teachers, twenty-three; (Mission School, one hundred pupils; Teachers, ten;) Volumes in Library, five hundred; Mission School, three hundred.
This Church was organized Oct. 7th, 1851, with sixteen members. They had no Pastor, or place of worship.
Their first Pastor, Rev. E. Miles, commenced his labors the first of the following June, and closed them June 1st, 1857, leaving the Church with one hundred and fifty members, and a well constructed house of worship, forty-four by eighty-six feet.
Their present Pastor, Rev. I. Butterfield, commenced his labors June 1st, 1857, since which time the congregation has more than doubled. They have also a Mission School of one hundred scholars, ten teachers, and a Library of three hundred volumes.
FIRST BAPTISH CHURCH
Established 1839; Pastor, N. S. Bastion; Members, eighty; Church, forty-five by seventy-five feet-brick, on stone foundation; Elizabethan architecture. Sunday School, seventy scholars; Volumes in Library, six hundred.
Church erected in 1855-corner Main and Sixth streets.
Established 1855; Pastor, Jean Bapiste Baumgartner; Membes, about three hundred and thirty-three; Church between Fifth and Sixth streets; Sunday School in the Church. No Library.
ST. MARGARET'S (ROMAN CATHOLIC) CHURCH.
Established October 1856; Pastor, H. Cosgrove; Members, about one thousand; Church, forty by eighty feet; Sunday School, sixty children; Volumes in Library, four hundred and sixty.
This Church was built by Mr. A. LeClaire, and the block on which it stands was given by the same.
ST. ANTHONY'S CHURCH.
Established 1838; Pastor, J. A. M. Pelamourgues; Members, three thousand; Church, forty-four by eighty-four feet; School, four hundred pupils; Volumes in Library, five hundred.
Established July 19, 1857; Pastor, A. Frowein; Members, nineteen; Church, twenty-five by forty feet; Sunday School, thirty pupils; Volumes in Library, forty.
"CHURCH OF CHRIST," OR DISCIPLES' CHURCH.
Established July 28th, 1839; Pastor, Eli Regal; Members, one hundred and sixty-seven; Church, forty by seventy-five feet, with basement; Sunday School, fifty-five scholars; Volumes in Library, two hundred.
This Church was organized at an early day, and with but few members, and although for many years without a preacher, yet it has steadily increased in numbers. Since its organization, no serious cause for disagreement has arisen among the members, but disclaiming human creeds and traditions, and acknowledging the Bible as the only rule of faith and practice, all differences being thus referred, have been speedily and most satisfactorily settled. The Church is now in a healthy and highly prosperous condition.
On Sunday, March 14, 1858, a "Society of Free Inquirers" was organized, in the Court House-Jonathan Parker in the Chair, and Th. Guelich Secretary. Dr. Hall, Robt, McIntosh, and Th. Guelich, were appointed a committee on Constitution, &c.
SCOTT COUNTY BIBLE SOCIETY
The Scott County Bible Society, auxilliary to the American Bible Society, was organized in the city of Davenport on the 13th day of September, A. D. 1842, at which time a Constitution was formed and adopted, which continued without material alteration or amendment until the present time.
The officers elected at the organization were -
Rev. D. Worthington, President; Charles Leslie, Secretary.
And at the subsequant anniversary meeting-the minutes of the Society show the following election of officers:
In 1842, Rev. Z. H. Goldsmith, President; Rev. D. Worthington, Secretary; Wm. L. Cook, Treasurer.
Who continued until 1847, when-
Rev. Z. H. Goldsmith was elected President; Rev. Ephraim Adams, Secretary; Wm. L. Cook, Treasurer.
In 1848, Rev. Ephraim Adams, President; Asa Prescott, Secretary; Alfred Saunders, Treasurer.
In 1849, Rev. Ephraim Adams, President; Asa Prescott, Secretary; Rufus Ricker, Treasurer.
In 1850, Rev. J. D. Mason, President; Rev. Asa Prescott, Secretary; Rufus Ricker, Treasurer.
In 1851, Rev. J. D. Mason, President; H. Price, Treasurer; Rev. H. L. Bullen, Secretary.
In 1852, Rev. J. D. Mason, President; H. Price, Treasurer; Rev. H. L. Bullen, Secretary.
In 1853, Rev. J. D. Mason, President; Prof. D. S. Sheldon, Secretary; Jno. H. Morton, Treasurer.
In 1854, H. Price, President; Rev. J. D. Mason, Secretary; James L. Dalzell, Treasurer.
In 1855, H. Price, President; Rev. J. D. Mason, Secretary, Jas. M. Dalzell, Treasurer.
In 1856, Strong Burnell, President; Rev. J. D. Mason, Secretary; H. Price, Treasurer.
In 1857, H. T. Slaymaker, President; Rev. J. D. Mason, Secretary; H. Price Treasurer.
And the Treasurer's books show also that the aggregate receipts have been eleven hundred and one dollars and forty-seven cents. The receips for the first year were nine dollars and thirty-seven cents, and for the last year three hundred and forty eight dollars, showing a steady increase in the collections of the Society, equal if not exceeding the increase in wealth and population of the county.
This money has all been expended in the purchase of bibles and testaments in different languages, which have been distributed (except some which are now on hand,) among the inhabitants of this city and county, without any distinction of sect or party.
The Depository of this Society is at present at the Publishing House of Luse, Lane & Co., No 55 Perry street, between Second and Third streets, Davenport. The names of persons contributing to the funds of the Society are registered on the Treasurer's book, and thereby become members of the Society.
RECAPITULATION-Church Members, 5,700; Sunday School Pupils, 1,096; Sunday School Libraries, 3,819 volumes.