Scott Co, Iowa Crime Files - 1870

Contributed by Cathy Labath

Daily Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa

April 15, 1870
     Police Court. Several parties were brought up before Justice Peters
today on various charges. One J.D. George surrounded himself with too much
valley tan and was fined $2 therefor. J.G. Sanford and Caroline Stanton were
arrested for bringing several persons to a house of ill fame. Fined $20 and
costs: went to jail in default.

April 22, 1870
Insanity-A young Lady becomes a Raving Lunatic.
     A sad case of insanity transpired today on our public streets, which
excited the city of all who beheld it. The facts in the case substantially
are as follows.
     About four miles from the city of Ottumwa resided a family by the name
of Fisher. There were two sisters in the family, the youngest one Lydia E.
aged 22 is the one with whom we have to do. She came to Davenport two years
ago, seeking employment, which she found at Joseph Shield's factory, where
she tended a loom. She boarded with William Nelson on Main St. where she
lived eighteen months, working early and late at the factory, and winning
the good will of everyone by her correct deportment and unexceptionable
character, Six months ago she went to live in the family of E.A. Tilebein,
working still at Shields and there she remained until the present time.
     One night about a week ago, Mr. Tilebein and his wife were awakened by
a series of shouts, prayers, and singing from her room, upon going thither
they found her laboring under a temporary attack of insanity superinduced by
strong religious excitement. She recovered in a short time and appeared as
well as ever during the past few days, except an occasional wild look about
the eyes.
     Just after dinner today, she quietly left the house and walked directly
through the water above the railroad bridge, over two and a half feet deep,
and turned down Third street, where she commenced to swing her parasol,
shout, and conduct her self like one demented. Mr. Tilebein had left his
home a few moments before, and took the street cars down to Western avenue,
where , after transacting some business, he turned down to Second street and
sin walking up he met Miss Fisher coming toward him, with a rabble of boys
following her. Her clothes were wet through and through, soiled and torn,
and she was talking incoherently. Mr. T. could scarcely believe his own eyes
that this was the neatly dressed girl he had left quietly eating dinner with
his wife half an hour since. An officer, who had been watching her movements
came up, and the two persuaded her to go up to Major Schnitger's where a
room was furnished her, and proper treatment administered. At this writing
she is still raving wildly and talking as only insane persons can talk.
     Miss Fisher had recently been attending revival meetings at the Baptist
church, and had become greatly aroused on the subject of religion with the
above result. She is represented by all who know her as a very amiable girl
of strict integrity and pleasing manners. The best of medical attendance has
been summoned and pleasant apartments assigned her at the jail where she
remains temporarily until a suitable place can be provided for her.

April 23, 1870
Miss Fisher's Lunacy
     In the following communication from the pastor of the Calvary Baptist
Church, is set forth the supposed true cause of the deplorable mental
condition in which Miss Fisher was found upon the streets yesterday. Having
no acquaintance with the unfortunate young woman, we are unable to speak, of
our own knowledge. What our reporter said of the cause of her demented
condition he gathered from the statements of those who knew her.
     Messrs Editors: In the Democrat of yesterday was the article concerning
Miss Fisher, in which occurred the following statements. She was found
"laboring under a temporary attack of insanity, superinduced by strong
religious excitement. Miss Fisher had recently been attending revival
meetings at the Baptist Church, and had become greatly aroused upon the
subject of religion, with the above result.
     Now , Sirs, I venture to say that no one who had ever attended any of
these meetings at the Baptist church which closed several weeks ago were
entirely free from excitement and all exciting circumstances. They were
conducted as are ordinary prayer meetings in this or other churches. The
attendance at any time was scarcely larger than at the regular Thursday
evening prayer meeting for the past year. That this case of insanity was
"superinduced" by attending such meetings, would not have been stated by any
one acquainted with these facts.
     Besides, Miss Fisher attended these meetings by no means regularly. She
stated that she had formerly been a member of the Baptist church in Ottumwa,
but had not walked as a christian for some time past. She expressed in the
meetings a desire to renew her life and become a member of the church. But
in this she certainly showed no evidence of intense excitement.
A diseased system for which she was under careful medical treatment,
struggling to maintain herself with scarcely strength for her daily toil,
vexed with previous troubles, all these combined have undoubtedly for a time
overwhelmed reason. Justice to the cause of religious compels me to ask you
to make these statements. Yours, T.W. Powell.

April 27, 1870
     Police news. But one case before Justice Peters today, which was that
of Henry Williams, for assaulting and fighting with Lindary Kitts. Fined $6
and costs and sent to jail in default.

April 30, 1870

A Chapter of Crime
..Three brothers, named respectively James, John, an William Owens, living
at the Pennsylvania coal bank near Buffalo, were the Principals in an
outrageous affair which transpired there on Thursday evening. It appears
they have heretofore, had some difficulty with a man named Lavernz Kearns,
and on the evening in question as Kearns was driving his cows home, the
three set upon him and assaulted him as is alleged with intent to kill. He
was knocked down with a club and pounded while down. Word was sent to the
city and this morning at 2 o'clock a posse of officers went down to Buffalo
and captured the offenders, brought them up and lodged them in jail. They
were brought up for preliminary examination this afternoon before Justice
Dowd, Wm A Foster appearing for the State, and John Gallagher on the part of
the defence.
The case is in progress as we go to press.

A Swede girl commited a horrible crime last night. She came from Galesburg
here yesterday morning, and during the course of a day obtained employment
at the house of Capt. Gabbert on the bluff, as hired girl. This morning the
remains of a newborn infant were found in the privy vault, and the girl
confessed to the birth of a child and of depositing the body there. Coroner
Thompson held an inquest this afternoon, and a verdict was tendered in
accordance with the facts above stated.

Monday, May 2, 1870
Almost a Murder, A Man Nearly Pounded to Death
A murderous affair occurred last night in Rock Island, which nearly reslted
in the death of a man. The following  are the particulars as collected by
our reporter. A shoemaker, named Henry Schmidt, in the employment of R.
Trenneman, was paid off Saturday and proceeded forth with that evening on a
bender. He remained in that condition nearly all day Sunday. Last evening
while walking about the city he accosted a colored woman, one of the baser
sort, and was entered into an alley near John George's malt house. A woman
named Mrs. Herman, living nearby, was sitting at an open window when she
heard the dull "thud" of a blow struck apparently with a club. This was
immediately followed by a cry, and a moment later another blow, then the
person fell to the ground. Groans were heard and blows apparently showered
on the prostrate body. Mrs. Herman rushed out and down the alley just in
time to see a woman in a white dress running away. A little further on she
discovered the body of a man lying in a pool of blood. She raised the alarm
and in a few moments a crowd collected. The man Schmidt was taken up and
carried to his boarding house and the police ran for the ferry where, on
examination, they found a negress in the cabin dressed in white, whom they
immediately arrested. Shcmidt's pocket-book was found near him, turned
inside out and contents gone. The story of the Negro woman was that she went
into the alley with two white men and they began to quarrel and one knocked
the other down whereupon she ran, but as there was blood upon her dress that
didn't wash. This morning the sounded man presented frightful appearance.
His head is a mass of ghastly looking flesh and bone smashed cut and broken.
Strange to say, the doctors say he will recover. The instrument used was an
iron dray pin. No clue has yet been found of the other party to this
transacton and nothing can be gained in way of information from  the negro

May 3, 1870
District Court-May term
Cases of James Peters and E. Forden, charged with breaking the peace,

In the matter of State of Iowa vs Claus Offt indicted last term for
disorderly conduct and charged for keeping a disorderly saloon. A plea of
guilty was made and it appears that the nuisance has been promptly abated
and that the defendant was now earning his living by the sweat of his brow,
the court fined him in the moderate sum of $5 and costs.

State of Iowa vs James Gortland with passing forged check-rehearing from
February term in which a verdict of "guilty" was set aside. Jury empaneled
after  considerable skirmishing.

May 4, 1870.
In Limbo.
A colored party, bearing the name of Harry Williams, was arrested at Clinton
and brought  to Rock Island this morning. This Williams has figured
extensively in our police courts and is well known as a thorough going
rascal. He confesses that he is the man who struck Henry Schmidt the other
day in Rock Island. He is now in jail, awaiting trial. No preliminary
examination can be held until the proecuting witness is able to appear in
court and it is very doubtful whether Schmidt will be able to do so. He lies
in a comatose state and is still suffering from his terrible wounds.
Meanwhile Williams remains in jail until Schmidt either dies or makes his

District Court-May Term
The case of State of Iowa vs James Gartland was continued from yesterdays
session and the defendant was discharged.

The case of Vanderzee, for alleged swindling of a widow lady by the name of
Susanna Moore, and the case was set for 2 o'clock.
First witness called, Miss Susanna Moore testified as follows: Know
defendant; employed him to fix my house; I gave him my note for $50, Mr.
Ackley called with him; I was surprised to see a lawyer; I signed the note,
a small piece of paper; nothing was said about a mortgage; the first I knew
of it when Mr. Renwick presented it. He wanted the note to raise money with
which to get lumber. He contracted to build my house for $583 and $50 for
extra work. I paid him $831. Here witness produced receipts. No one was
present except Mr. Ackley and defendant when I signed the note; nothing was
said about mortgage; I did not sign any mortgage; knew nothing about any
mortgage until Mr. Renwick presented a note to me for $907.75. I would not
give a mortgage to him if I had been asked. The cross examination only
showed that though the conract price was $583, Vanderzee managed to get most
of the work in under the head of "extra work" and hence probably the $881.
Mr. Vanderzee still claimed more money for extra work.
Second witness was Johann Moore, testimony about as preceding witness.
Third witness called was Henry E Evans, a boarder with Mrs. Moore about the
same line of testimony.

May 5, 1870
District Court.
     The criminal case of State of Iowa vs Vanderzee occupied the attention
of the court for the entire day. But a few witnesses were examined this
morning - one or two on the part of the defense in way of proving up the
general good reputation of the defendant and two or three in way of the
     The testimony of John Ackley, Esq. yesterday evening on the part of the
defendant was entriely contradictory of that given by Mrs. Moore yesterday
morning on the part of the prosecution. He stated positively that he read
both note and mortgage to Mrs. M. and that she signed them both in his
presence. As to furnishing Mr. Drake, the reporter for the Democrat, with
certain items of informaton in December last, derogatory to the character of
Vanderzee, the testimony was of an evasive character-positive in neither
direction, though admitting that he furnished certain facts in the alleged
libelous article-"provided they were facts".
     In the rebuttal Mr .Hubbell said that Mrs. Moore had applied to him for
counsel; that they had met Mr. Ackley upon the street and asked him whether
he read the mortgage to Mrs. Moore, and he replied he did not know whether
he told her the substance of it or not, but that he thought he did that
being his usual rule of business.
     The testimony of Mr. Drake was to the effect that Mr. Ackley had
informed him as city editor of the Democrat, that he had a "good item" for
him, and gave him (Drake) the particulars of the manner in which Vanderzee
had obtained a note and mortgage from  Mrs. Moore under false pretenses,
that he told  him of the enormity of the outrage and at the same time asked
as a special favor that his name (Ackley's) be not mentioned in connection
therewith. The testimony also went to show that Mr. Ackley also offered to
write up the item setting forth with his own pen and ink the precious
rascality of Vanderzee; and after it had been written and published assented
to the truthfulness of same.
     The case went into the hands of the lawyers for argument at ten o'clock
when Mr. Bills addressed the Jury for an hour; was followed by Mr. White on
the part of the defence-then by Mr. Campbell-The case is in progress as we
go to press.

May 6, 1870
District Court
     The Case of Mr. Vanderzee, charged in the indictment with swindling
Mrs. Moore, by making use of false pretenses, went to the Jury last evening
at half past five, that body being instructed, providing there should be an
agreement, to seal their verdict, and hand it to the Judge in the morning.
Court was adjourned until 9 o'clock this morming.
     Upon opening court this morning, the verdict of guilty was announced.
It appears the jury was out but a short time. The first ballot, it is said,
stood 11 to 1 for a verdict of guilty and that one withheld his assent that
he might read the instructions of the Court once more for a perfect
     Upon announcement of the verdict, Mr. Campbell, attorney for defendant,
proved to set it aside. Upon this motion, no action has, as yet, been
taken - the court proceeding to take up the civil docket. Though the case
was ably conducted on both sides, yet that "mystery" that was declared by
the chief witness to exist in the matter was not unravelled.
     Those conversant with the case in its several aspects will find no
difficulty in solving the question to their own satisfaction and some day
the press may have in its possession sufficient data to give the actual
reasons that induced Wm Vanderzee to commit the crime of which he stands,
this day, convicted.

May 7, 1870
The Case of Mena Johnson
     The coroner's jury today returned a verdict of guilty of the charge of
infanticide. A warrant was issued to the Sheriff to arrest the young woman
and bring her before Justice Peters, but owing to her weak state is unable
to be moved. This verdict will bring the case before the Grand Jury at its
present session.

District Court.
     The suit of Wm Vanderzee vs Richardson Bros, proprietors of the
Democrat, brought some time in January last for libel, was this day

Reconsidered It.
     Sometime in January last, Wm Vanderzee (colored) brought suit against
us for libel-alleging that we had in some way banged up, bruised and
lacerated his character to such an extent that it would require greenback
poultice of some $5,000 to restore it to its usual health. Since that time
he has been making a more critical exmination into the article supposed to
be damaged, and now informs us through our attorneys in the case, Messrs.
Parker and Twomey, that it was all a mistake, and that he withdraws his
claim. He has done well.

May 9, 1870
Police Court.
     Monday being the favorite day for callers, Justice Peters has been
honored with numerous visitations. Thomas Walker was found in an unprotected
condition on the street. He subscribed $1.00 and costs.
     Mollie Hill didn't belong anywhere principally and was therefore a
vagrant. She deposited $4 and costs. Carl Moss was like unto her, but as he
left his cheque book at home, he went to stay with Major Schnitger for a
     Harry Kohl had benzined too much. He took stock to the amount of $4 and
     H. Fleming and Jennie Wright, for sundry derelictions, were required to
contribute $5 worth, but they preferred to retire to the stone house.

District Court
     The Grand Jury has issued a true bill against Thos. Grady charged with
stealing a pocket-book containing $80 in money, of one Ergen Dieringer on
the 28th of April last at the Sigel house. Also the true bill against James
and John Owens of the Buffalo coal mines, for assaulting Lawrence Kearns,
with the intent to commit great bodily injury on the 27th day of April last.

May 10, 1870
District Court
     The Grand Jury still remains in session. Prosecuting attorney Elles
returned this afternoon  after a few days absence and has resumed labors.
The loss of a pocket book or an article that had every outward appearance of
being one - and well filled at that - at one of our leading hotels last
evening is a matter that will probably figure pretty extensively before this
secret jury. Mr. Elles has already taken cognizance of the case, and it is
due time the whole affair, which now ranks among matters strictly private,
will be properly ventilated. Let justice be done, Mr. Attorney, regardless
of the consequences.

May 11, 1870
District Court.
     Schluenz vs Schluenz - Divorce Decree of divorce as prayed for.
     Stringham vs Stringham- action for divorce on account of barbarous
treatment, knocking down, throwing wood, neglect to provide for the wants of
the family, cross demeanor, cursing, threatening to take the life of
plaintiff. Decree for divorce.
     Grand Jury afternoon reported a true bill against Christiana Winzer
accused of the crime of being a party to a charge and lien on personal
property with intent to defraud.

Attempted Robbery.
     This morning about 4 o'clock, Mr. Henry Krack, who keeps a store in
Hamburg, West Davenport and was aroused by hearing a noise in the front part
of the house, jumping out of bed, he went thither, and opening the door as
it swung around found someone behind it. He took a good hold on the would be
robber and in return got a pretty hard rap on the head, probably from a
"billy" and an admonition, "if he didn't let go he would get killed". Being
unarmed, Mr. K had no other chance and did so, whereupon the ruffian sprung
through the window and disappeared. The cut is a painful one but nothing
serious. It is a great pity he was not prepared to hold on when once made

May 12, 1870
The Case of Rohm vs Humphrey
     This case which has been several days before Justice Peters and Dowd,
came to a close yesterday afternoon. Inasmuch as no mention has been made of
the particulars, we herewith present a statement of the facts in the case,
as presented by the preliminary examination and subsequent trials.
On the night of the 5th instant, a young woman, employed in the saloon under
Metropolitan Hall, was walking up street accompanied by a man. These two
officer Rohm arrested, and straightway took them to jail, where he turned
them over to the turnkey, with instructions to keep them all night. They of
course did not wish to remain. Word was sent to Wm Humphrey, an attache of
the saloon, and he made his apparance, asking what amount was necessary for
bail. Rohm told him $100 and that to be paid with his own hands. This he
refused to do, but said he would leave it with the turnkey. In the meantime
the girl gave Rohm $10 and the parties were discharged. Some of the
witnesses swear that Rohm was intoxicated at the time. The party then left
the jail. Humphrey was followed by Rohm, who presented a pistol and said, "I
arrest you." H. Jumped out of the way, then struck Rohm and threw his pistol
into the street. On the next day Humphrey filed an information against Rohm
for assault with intent to kill, and R. filing the same charge against him.
Rohm was found guilty of an assault with intent to kill, and R. filing the
same charge against him. Rohm was found guilty of an assault, and Justice
Peters ordered an information to be filed before Justice Dowd, and the trial
accordingly took place there.-Humphrey was found guilty of resisting an
officer, and held to bail for the sum of $300. Rohm made his appearance at
Justice Dowd's Court, and did not wait for the trial to come on but went
away contrary to the order of the court, and for the contempt of which he
was fined $3 and costs.  The trial come on, and he was found guilty and
fined $10 and costs. He gave notice of appeal.
     This morning three cases of the State against Rohm, two for false
imprisonment, and one for extortion, came up for hearing. The defendant
waived an examination in each of the cases, and was held to bail in the sum
of $150 on each charge.

     The grand jury have presented an indictment against Spence and Humphry
of the crime of nuisance, and the court has held them to bail to answer at
the November term in the sum of $300 each.

District Court
     Schmidt vs Lahendorf. Action growing out of dispute as to boundary line
between the lands of the parties-the plaintif claiming that defendant had
his line over on plaintiffs land, thus depriving him of some seven or eight
acres. Trial by court; judgement for plaintiff, exceptions taken. Davison &
True for plff. H, R. & E. Claussen for defense.
     On motion of J.H. Murphy a committee was appointed to examine Dennis
Donovan, a candidate for admission to the bar.
     Case of Christine Fejervary vs. Wm. Renwick called action for
slander-it being charged that defendant at a particular time gave currency
to certain false and malicious statements derogatory to plaintiffs good name
and fame, for which she claims damages in the sum of $20,000, trial by Jury
Geo. E. Hubbell and Abner Davison for plaintiff; Grant & Smith and Jas. T.
Lane for defense.
     After arguing several motions relative to answers to plaintiffs
petition a jury was examined as follow Lucas Ruhe, J.W. Drummond, John
McNeeley, John M. Steen, J.G. Condit; D.C. Kelly, H.Z. Higley, Adolph
Brenke, S.H. Baker, J.H. Houghton, D.H. Stevens. J.H. Page.

May 13, 1870
Taken Home.
Miss Lydia E. Fisher whose case has excited much sympathy, since her mental
disrangement, has been an inmate of the Sisters of Mercy Hospital where she
has been slowly gathering health and strength. At this time she is nearly
recovered and no doubt will eventually become perfectly cured. Yesterday her
brother, Samuel Fisher, came for her and left today with her in charge for
his home in Kansas where she will hereafter live.

An inquest ws held this afternoon by Coroner Tomson, on the body of a male
infant, which it was alleged its mother, Lena Knopp, a German servant girl,
destroyed. She came to this country about 7 months ago and has been working
for a German family on the corner of 8th and Main streets. The testimony
showed that there was no intention on the parts of the mother to kill the
infant and the jury brought in a verdict that the child came to its death

May 14, 1870
Same Verdict.
The Coroner's Jury in the case of Lena Knopp for destroying her infant, met
again this morning for the hearing of additional testimony, but no other
facts than those already given were elicited and a verdict was returned as
before - "accidental death".

Police Court.
Two raftsmen named G. W. Lytner and D. Gren were arrested about 2 o'clock
last night in the St. Louis Star Saloon, under Metropolitan Hall. They were
making Rome howl by smashing windows and indulging in gymnastics with
bottles and beer glasses. The sum assessed to each was $4 ,which Lytner
paid, but Gren went to the tombs.

Geo. Schofeld and Thomas Clancy, for not knowing where they belonged and no
visible means of support, were fined $5 and costs and sent up.

Ule Erickson, for being very drunk, was sent to jail in default of $3.

Fejervary Trial
     At about ten o'clock Judge Richman received a communication from the
Jury stating that they had been unable to agree upon a verdict, and seeing
no possibility of arriving at one, asked leave to be discharged from further
consideration of the case.
     ...It appears the Jury disagreed from the start. Upon taking a vote
immediately after returning from the Court room at six o'clock last evening,
the sense of the body was seven for finding in favor of the defendant, and
five for finding in favor of the plaintiff. All through the night, and up to
noon to-day, the same conviction prevailed, neither side yielding a hair-
nor was there any probability that either would do so.
     Thus for the present term, ends this much talked of trial. Steps will
be taken however, by the prosecution, to prepare for a new trial, which will
probably come up for hearing at the November term of Court.

May 16, 1870
District Court
The case of McCausland vs Driscoll, on a note of $90 given for a horse in
1860. Defense- the want of consideration in that the horse was unsound and
worthless. Jury treats the verdict for the plaintiff for the amount of the
note and interest up to date-$176.72.

Chicken Stealing.
Some scalawag took quite a fancy to Judge Grants game fowls the other night
and went off with a few under his coat. The Judge does not believe it
strictly legal and puts an injunction upon the proceeding as follows:
"The chicken thief who stole 5 chickens from my barn did not probably know
he was guilty of burglary. I will thank him to return the survivors and when
he wants chickens again, to come and ask for them. I have enough to give
away to prevent any bird fancier from going to the penitentiary." Jas.

May 17, 1870
Bold Burglary
On Friday after about 5 o'clock, during the absence of the family, the
private residence of Wm. Nesbit, the photographers, situated on 6th and
Ripley, was entered by expert burglars and ransacked from roof to basement.
Bureaus and drawers were opened and ransacked and the furniture thrown
about. A small sum of money, the hoardings of a deceased son of Mr. Nesbitt'
s, and which are preserved in memory of the child, escaped their reach.
Nothing was taken except an overcoat and a large pie, showing that the
marauders were both cold and hungry, but the condition of the house plainly
showed that an extended search after valuables had been instituted.

Threatening Case.
J.B. Watson, a farmer living in Lincoln township has brought suit before
Justice Dowd against J. Foster for seduction of his daughter. A few weeks
ago, she gave birth to a child. Foster was sent to jail in default of bail.

May 18, 1870
Police Court.
Claus Offt was arrested for disturbing the public peace and quiet of the
city by unearthly yells and screeches. He was fined $3 and costs, amounting
to $22, and as he didn't think it was a fair shake, gave notice of appeal.

Jos. Bally was found asleep, snoozing softly as an infant, for which he was
fined $1 and costs and repaired to Schnitger's hotel.

District Court.
Grand Jury closed its labors last Saturday and adjourned and bill was found
against W.P. Humphrey for resisting a public officer and also for assaulting
said officer. Also against same and C.F. Spence for nuisance and also bill
against J.H. Watson for seduction. [previous article had J.B. Watson]

May 20, 1870
Police Court.
Several cases before Justice Peters this afternoon. E. Burr for using
abusive language was twice hauled up and fined $3 and costs. Chas Voght for
being drunk, sent to jail. Louis Bulstooff disturbed the private peace, $3
worth and intoxicated himself $3 more, also costs.

May 23, 1870
The Murder Market.
After a few days of depression, the murder market has again become
moderately active and closed firm yesterday. Outright killings were not in
much demand, but the trade in lively shooting was good. Quotations remain

Incendiary Failed.
An attempt was made last night to fire the residence of Mr. Rommelsburg on
Harrison Street between 6th and 7th. Mrs. R. being ill, her husband was up
watching with her, and a window in the back part of the house was left open.
About two o'clock he heard a man come through the alley, light a match on
side of house, go to the window apparently throw it in. The villain didn't
get the chance however for a faithful pointer dog, who was sleeping in that
room, made a jump for him and came very near "making fast". The rascal
disappeared in haste.

Police Court.
P. Hago, for fullness of liquor, was fined $4.00 and costs.

Mollie Hill, intoxicated, $1 and costs.

J. Wilke and wife were arrested and brought before Justice Peters for cruel
treatment toward their daughter, who is about 39 years old. They were put
under $400 bonds to appear at next term of District Court.

Chas. Baker and Ben Allbright were brought up before Justice Peters charged
with robbing a man on Saturday. The testimony shows that the twain came up
on the Dubuque a few days ago, met an old friend day before yesterday, and
while he was embracing one of the two, that person relieved him of his
pocket book and handed it to his partner. They were detected and brought
into court today. Justice Peters held them to bond in the sum of $800 to
appear at the next term of District Court. They could not find bail and were
sent up.

May 27, 1870

Police Court.
John Rice was fined $1 and costs for being drunk which assessment he paid
and departed.

Johannes Smithianus wanted to sleep all night on the sidewalk and persisted
in it until he was kindly cared for by a policeman. He was asked to pay $5
and costs lodging money which amount was not concealed about his person and
he was requested to twine his way to the stone heap.

May 28, 1870
Police Court
There has been trouble in the domestic camp of the Powells and they seek the
private publicity of J. Dowd for an adjustment of grievances. All the
parties concerned in the action are nearly related to the XV agreement.
Their melancholy story whizzes this way: R Powell, colored, had departed
from his wife and farm, girded himself and took a front position on the
Sucker State as a carrier of burdens. His wife was lonesome and took a
boarder, Mr. B F Suthwell, also colored, and he strove with his daily bread
at this house. Now R.P. like another Enoch Arden, left the raging river and
came home on a visit, and when he saw the gentleman, Suthwell, he didn't go
off and lay down near Diederich's wood yard and say "behold the jig is up
and let me die", far from it. He acted much otherwisely. He reached a claw
after S. and said to him "if I porcure you, chile, I'll wear you out now you
bet kill you dead" and he made very free with him for a boarder that paid
every week and didn't growl at the hash. In short,  Mr. P conducted himself
with marked impropriety, and he made it very wam for Mr. Stillwell so much
so that that gentleman fled for his life and went his way hurriedly unto
Justice Dowd and swore out an information against the dark fiend party and
had him arrested. He was brought up, breathing threatenings, and held to
bond in the sum of $200, to keep the peace and as he couldn't get anyone to
go bond for him, and he is now persuing the elegant apts. presided over by
Sheriff Schnitger at the Stone Yard Hotel. His ire will have a chance to
cool. The other party breathes freer and eats his hash unmolested.

May 31, 1870
The murderous affair on the Dubuque, Friday morning, has resulted in the
death of the colored deck hand, William Johnson. A post mortem examination
by Drs. Powers and Craig of  Rock Island revealed the fact that the
intestines were cut in two places, the knife also penetrating the liver. On
Saturday Johnson was buried at county expense. The white man who murdered
him is yet at large and cannot be found. He was last seen on this side, but
nothing is known of the present whereabouts. It is to be hoped he will be
approached and brought to justice.

June 1, 1870:
     Police Court-Eliza Flandery was arrested for using obscene language,
and striking Miss Oakes, whereupon she was brought before Justice Peters and
fined $4 and cost. The husband of Eliza was also in court, but refused
payment on her assessment, and he couldn't be shown where it was to his
advantage in thus footing the bill and satisfying justice. Mrs. Flandery was
therefore sent to jail, and her protector is $4 and costs ahead, which is
economy with a vengeance. Miss Oakes was in turn arrested and similar
charges preferred against her. She was requested to come down with  a like
amount, which she did.
     E. Lamp lighted up the court with his countenance just long enough to
leave $4 and costs, for fighting and general disturbance.

Thursday, June 2, 1870:
     Police Court.One Christian Furst was arraigned for keeping a house of
ill fame-found guilty and fined $50 and costs this being his second offence.
Another charge was brought against him for striking an inmate of the
house-fined $20 and costs. All of which Mr. F paid . Ida Whitney and Annie
Browne charged with leading an immoral life fined $8 and costs. Sent up.

Friday, June 3, 1870
     Police Court. One James Lamp was brought up before Justice Peters, and
tried on several heinous offences. The first was for having geese running at
large, they being complained of as a nuisance, but it was a mistake, they
were all ganders. The calm-eyed Justice couldn't see it, and he was fined
$1.00 and costs with instructions to ranche the geese, otherwise ganders and
employ a herder. James was still further fined for keeping a loathsome hog
pen the sum of $5. Once morely he was assessed $5 and costs for nuisances
committed, which he departed to find. Another charge awaiteth James tomorrow
morning for fighting.

Wednesday, June 8, 1870:
Police court. Only a few persons dropped in to day to pay their respects to
Justice Peters. Anna Johnson, a bloviant female about forty years old, was
arraigned for throwing rocks against the windows of several citizens, and
also lifting up her voice aloud much to the discomfiture of every one who
heard her. She was assessed for $25 and went up to the stone-yard.

Tuesday, June 14, 1870:
Police Court. Charles Baldwin and Wm. Howell were fined $10 and costs for
picking flowers in Washington square. Thos. Ryan assaulted his wife pretty
bad and was fined also $10 with costs. And then come Johnnie Blair, who was
charged with stealing two silver quarter dollars from the neck of a little
girl and for his manliness, he was taxed $10 and costs which served him

Wednesday, June 22, 1870:
Circuit Court.
The case of Anna Edens vs John Seivers, for seductions, has occupied the
attention of the Court nearly all day, and is in progress this afternoon.
Herron and Foster for plaintiff. Block and Claussen for defendant.

Friday, June 24, 1870:
Police Court.
But little doing to-day. The case of Phillip Racquet, for assault, with
intent to kill, on the person of one J. Earnest, occupied  most of the time
this forenoon. The defendant was bound over in $500 bail to appear at the
next term of the District Court.

Monday, June 27, 1870:
The two boys, Johnnie Blair and John Hogarty, were sent to the Reform School
this morning under the care of Deputy Sheriffs Fied and Schnitger. A Miss
Welker was also sent to the Mt. Pleasant Insane Asylum.

Circuit Court. The case of Anna Edens vs John Sievers went to the jury on
Saturday afternoon. They returned a verdict of $550 for plaintiff.

Tuesday, June 28, 1870:
Police Court.
Wm Suiter resisted an officer, and was fined $15 and costs.
John Carthy disturbed the public to the amount of $3 and costs.
M. Cutter was fined $5 and costs for vagrancy: sent up.

Friday, July 15, 1870

Police Court.
Several callers presented themselves at Justice Peters to-day. John
Dumckers, for intoxication, was fined $2 and costs. One John Mastyn was
arrested for vagrancy and is to have his trial this afternoon.

A Serious Affray
A Man Killed on Main Street
Death in a Saloon
Coroner's Inquest

     A few minutes past four o'clock yesterday afternoon, the citizens in
the neighborhood of Main street, between Second and Third, were startled by
the sharp report of a pistol, and in a few moments thereafter, the report
spread that a man had been killed at Nelson's saloon, and in five minutes a
hundred people were on the spot. The rumor was but too true, and on entering
the saloon the body of a man was found lying on the floor, breathing slowly
and heavily. He died in about ten minutes after receiving the shot. Among
the many conflicting stories afloat, the following seem to be the plain
facts in the sad affair as gathered by our reporters.

The Causes for the Act

     The individual who thus met his death came into the saloon once or
twice in the course of the afternoon and demanded a drink. At this time he
was considerably under the influence of liquor. Nelson each time refused to
sell him any drinks, and ordered him out of the place, as the man had become
abusive in his speech, and was gesticulating and talking in a loud tone of
voice. About four o'clock he came back again, and made a disturbance as
before, whereupon Nelson put him out into the street, and immediately the
man returned and a scuffle ensued. The mother of Nelson, an old lady 79
years of age, came down stairs to see what the trouble was. She had arrived
the day before from Cordova, Ill. and occupied a room over the saloon. Upon
her appearance the combatants were separated, and the stranger, turning
round, wrenched a heavy cane from the hand of a man who was standing by, and
struck Mrs. Nelson, a pretty severe blow over the shoulders. Nelson collared
him again and the other made a further attempt to strike the old lady.
Nelson loosed his hold upon him, and running behind the bar, caught up a
pistol and presented it at the man, whose right arm at that moment was
raised to strike Mrs. Nelson. Her son fired and the man staggered heavily
against the wall exclaiming 'you have shot me through the heart.' and then
slid down to a reclining position on the floor. A physician was immediately
sent for and Dr. L. French appeared, but could not in any way aid the
unfortunate man. The wounded person mumbled a few incoherent words at first,
then his breathing became more labored, and soon his feature settled into
the hard outlines of death. The ball had struck him in the right breast,
exactly on the nipple and passed transversely through the lungs lodging
somewhere on his left side.

Who Was He?

     No one in the city seemed to know the dead man, but on examining his
person, an account book was found with the name of  "William Donovan May
6th, 1870" written upon the flyleaf. The following memoranda were found in
various places through the book. "Emporia, Lyon Co, Iowa." "Wm. Donovan,
McDonough Co., Illinois", "Bushrod Evans, St. Augustine, Monmouth Co, Ill.
"Prairie Co, Galesburg." "Cleveland & Dinan, contractors" "Came to board at
McGinty's 10th of May for dinner." "Came to board at McGhee's the 9th of
June for supper; fourteen meals besides, $3.22." Evidently Donovan was a
working man as his clothes were of course material and his hands betokened
labor. Apparently he was about 40 years of age; 5 feet 10 inches in height;
reddish brown moustache and goatee; dark hair and eyes. His face was rather
thin, but not ill looking.

The Other Party to the Tragedy

     William Nelson, the other participant in this sad occurence, has lived
in the City two years, during which time he has kept saloon at the place
above mentioned and is represented to be a very quiet person who attends
strictly to his own business and has not been known to have trouble with any
one while he has lived here. He lived in Philadelphia for twenty years
before coming here and was engaged for many years in the flour and feed
business. His wife and three interesting daughters are keeping boarders in
the house belonging to James Johnson, Esq. corner Front and Warren street.
     Immediately on the commission of the act Nelson gave himself up to
Major Schnitger, who was on the spot in a very few moments after the
occurrence. He expresses deep regret at the sad termination of the affair,
but says that it was more than he could bear to see that man strike his old
mother with a heavy cane. He was removed to jail where he now lies.

An Immense Crowd.

were shortly gathered about the place, and the police, under Marshal
Kauffman, were stationed at the door to prevent those whose morbid
curiousity prompted them to go in and view the remains. The body was finally
removed to a convenient room in the building of Mr. Morse Bois [sic-Boies],
undertaker, where a partial inquest was held last evening. A jury consisting
of J.E. Dixon, A.F. Williams and A. Wiegand were summoned and the inquest
returned this morning under charge of W.F. Peck.

July 16, 1870
     Agreeable to the instructions of Coroner Thomson, Marshal Kaufman proceeded to file and information yesterday afternoon before Justice Peters, in accordance with the verdict returned by the Coroner's Jury. The preliminary examination was set for 10 o'clock this morning but by mutual consent of the attorneys, the case was adjourned until 9 o'clock Monday morning at which time it will be tried by Justice Peters; probably at the court House, as his court room will not be large enough. Messrs. Martin & Murphy appear for Nelson and J.B. Leake on the part of the State.
     The victim of the tragedy, William Donovan, was buried yesterday afternoon under the direction of Mr. Boies, undertaker. The memoranda found upon his person, and portions of his clothing were retained by Coroner Tomson in the hope that they may serve as guides to the dead man's identity.
     There seems to be a considerable discussion as to whether William Nelson, charged with killing Donovan would be entitled to bail if the magistrate should, on preliminary examination, bind him to answer at the District Court for killing. Without expressing any opinion upon the merits of this case, as to whether murder in first or second degree, or manslaughter, we may state the law in reference to bail, as settled by the statutes of Iowa is as follows:
     Soc. 4962, Rev. of 1808, provides that "all defendants are bailable, both before and after conviction, by sufficient surety, except for capital offenses, where the proof is evident and the presumption great."
     Now, unless the offense committed by Nelson was murder in the first degree, it is not a capital offense; and in order to constitute the killing, murder in the first degree it must have been a willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing. If upon examination, the proof should not be evident and the presumption great that the killing was murder in the first degree,-if the evidence should make it appear the killing would probably only me murder in the second degree, or manslaughter, then the defendant would clearly be entitled to bail.
     The following testimony was elicited at the examination of witnesses during the inquest yesterday:
     Gus Schnitger sworn-...[part missing] ;when I saw him he was lying on the floor; he was alive at that time but did not speak; I was sitting at the corner by the First National Bank; heard the report of a pistol and saw two men run into Nelson's saloon; I then went up to the saloon and found this as previously described; I saw a bullet hole in his right breast; I inquired who did it and Mr. Nelson stepped up and said he did it and asked me to arrest him, which I did by virtue of the authority of my office as Sheriff of Scott county.
     Signed.    Gust. Schnitger.
     J.W. Green sworn- I saw the person whose body lies here, yesterday between four and five o'clock; he was lying on the floor of the saloon of Mr. Nelson, near the door; Dr. Watt, and old lady, Major Schnitger, Mr. Dittoe and a lady with a red shawl were the persons present, the person who laid on the floor said "arrest that man;" he died I think in about ten minutes after he was shot; I had seen the same person in Nelson's saloon about an hour previous; he was then standing by the counter making considerable noise; he was talking with some other gentlemen; I did not pay much attention to his remarks but recollect him saying that there was some "truly fighting men there" the man he was talking with was a stranger; I did not see him drink at the bar, I think that he was under the influence of liquor at that time.
     Signed.   J.W. Green.
     W.T. Dittoe, sworn- At the time of the report of the pistol, I was standing with Schnitger and Green at the corner near the First National Bank. We all went up to the saloon together when the shot was fired. I know nothing more than has been stated.
     Signed.   W.T. Dittoe.
     C.W. Watt, sworn-I was in Mr. Nelson's saloon yesterday afternoon between four and five o'clock; when I first went into the saloon Mr. Porter, of Joliet, Ill., went in with me. Mr. Nelson made an apology to Mr. Porter that he had such a character there that he could not get along with him; he said that it was not usual to have such characters in his place; We passed through the saloon into the back room; when I went into the saloon there were several in there but they soon went out. The man whose body lies here was in the saloon with his coat in his hand and talking quite loud, but was not directing his conversation to any one in particular; he was intoxicated; I passed through the saloon into the back room and seated myself before the door and could see into the saloon; the man threw his coat down; Mr. Nelson picked it up and handed it to him and told him he must go out. He then put him out. The man then came back and swore that he would have a drink; Nelson put him out again; the man then came back like a mad man; he went for Mr. Nelson and struck at him 3 or 4 times. At this time, Mrs. Nelson, the mother of Mr. Nelson came in; the man was still fighting Nelson; the old lady ran up to the man and told him to "desist and not strike her son;" at that moment the man snatched my cane from my hand and made a lick at the old lady. Mr. Nelson grabbed hold of the cane. The man took the cane away from Nelson, and raised it again at the old lady; I said to him, "Oh don't-don't." Nelson had then left the man; he passed me in a hurry, and immediately I heard the shot, and see the man fall; the man was very angry because Nelson had put him out and would not give him any drink; I think at the time the shot was fired that he had his arm raised to strike; after he was shot he said, "You have done it. I am a dead man." I think there was no one else in the saloon at the time except Mr. Nelson and his mother, myself and the deceased. I did not see Nelson do anything but in self defense; I have known Mr. Nelson about two years; have never known of his having any trouble in his saloon previous to this time.
     Signed.    C.L. Watt
     Dr. W.F. Peck sworn-I am a physician and surgeon. I have examined the body of the deceased. There was an orifice just above and to the left of the right nipple. Dr. Maxwell and myself made a post mortem examination. We traced the orifice through the upper portion of the second and the lower portion of the first lobe of the right lung. It also pierced the large blood vessel which carries the blood from the heart to the lower extremities. The ball passed into the bone of the spinal column. We found this ball (showing small leaden ball about 1/4 inch in diameter to the jury) in the spinal canal in the body of the eleventh vertebrum. He died from hemorrhage and the shock produced by the laceration of the above named tissues. The injuries were such that he could not live but a few minutes. The right side of the chest was full of blood in quantity of about three quarts.
     Signed.   W.F. Peck
     Dr. A.S. Maxwell, sworn- I am physician and surgeon. I assisted in the post mortem of the deceased: I have heard the testimony of Dr. Peck. The injuries were such that his arm must have been raised at the time of receiving the shot. I agree with Dr. Peck in his statement of the post mortem appearance and that the injuries were the cause of his death.
     Signed.   A.S. Maxwell.
     C.L. Watt (at his own request) recalled.- I wish to make a statement as to who was in the room at the time the shooting took place. A man came running in after the deceased came in the last time; I do not know the man's name; he is a hack driver.
     Signed.   C.L. Watt
     Phillip Racquet sworn- As I was coming up Main street yesterday, about 5 P.M., I saw a man being pushed out of Nelson's saloon; the man got up and went in; after I had passed about twenty feet, I heard some one hallooing in the saloon-(sounded like a woman's voice), I then went back and looked in at the door; I heard the shot and then the man fell down; I then went in and saw the man lying on the floor.
     Signed.   Philip Racquet.
     L.A. Pearce sworn- I was in Mr. Nelson's saloon yesterday afternoon about 5 o'clock. The first I saw of any trouble, I was coming though the alley opposite the saloon; I heard a noise in Nelson's saloon; I saw Nelson put a man out of his saloon and into the street; the man said, "You s-- of a b----, I will get the better of you yet." this was said to Nelson; the man went into the saloon again; I tied my horses; after I had and while I was going to the saloon, Nelson put the man out again; I then followed the man in; after the man got in he said, "you s-- of a b----, are you going to give me a drink? Nelson told him, "You have a plenty; I want you to go out," and then went towards him; the man struck at Nelson three or four times; while they were scuffling Nelson's mother came into the saloon and cried out for them to stop. The man then snatched a cane from Mr. Watt, who was standing by and struck the old lady. After he struck at Nelson's mother Nelson caught hold of the cane and got it away from him. The man soon went for Nelson again and took the cane away from and struck at him again; then Nelson ran behind the bar and drew out a drawer and took out a pistol and shot the man as he was in the act of striking his mother. The man fell as he shot, and died within five minutes; the deceased seemed to be very desperate; after the man fell I asked him what his name was and he said "William Donovan;" I asked he where he was from and he made no reply; Mr. Nelson came to me after the man was shot and said, " I have shot him; am sorry; go and enter a complaint and have me arrested, and bring some doctors. If they can do anything for the man, let them do it."
     Signed     L.A. Pearce

July 18, 1870

Testimony Before Justice Peters

     The preliminary examination of William Nelson, charged with killing William Donovan, was set this morning at 10 o'clock. Justice Peters finding his office too small to accommodate spectators and others, opened the Court House. A large crowd were in attendance and much interest manifested in the proceedings. A little after 10 o'clock Marshal Kauffman brought the prisoner into court. Martin & Murphy appearing for Nelson and Ge. J.B. Leake on the part of the State. Several witnesses whose testimony had heretofore given were sworn. The main facts were stated substantially the same, although some slight difference appears in the minor details.
     Jno. W. Green, testified, substantially as heretofore. That he was standing with Schnitger and Dittoe on corner First National Bank, heard the shot, went to the saloon; Mayor Schnitger first saw the man lying to the right of entrance near the stairs, saw Schnitger talking with Nelson; Nelson said "arrest me I done it; " no weapon in his hand the man was alive and said, "arrest that man."
     W.T. Dittoe, sworn- I asked Mr. Nelson for a towell and some ice water; he handed me a pitcher of water and then gave me a white vest; told him I didn't want that; then he gave me a towell. I wet it and laid it on Donovan's head the man died while I was in the saloon; he lived about 5 or 10 minutes.
    C.I. Watt, Sworn: Was in Nelson's saloon on last Thursday. Did not see William Nelson shoot Donovan neither did I see a pistol in his hand. Heard Nelson say he did it. Heard report of pistol and saw a man fall. Witness  described the situation of the parties at the shooting. Man lived about five minutes.
    Cross Examined- The witness was requested to make a statement of the whole affair as far as it has come to his knowledge. This agreed substantially with the wintess' previous testimony. He gave a number of descriptions of the person who were in the saloon, so far as he knew them. Described the manner of putting the man out the first and second time. The man resisted some. Man seemed to have the devil in him rather than drunk. The man put out seemed to be the stronger and if he had exerted his strength would probably have stayed in . Described the manner of the man when he came in, and the language he used. Nelson attempted to defend himself, but was nowheres, and had to dodge the blows. If he had been struck, he would have been knocked down. Can't tell who Donovan first raised the cane at Nelson and his mother were both standing close together; Nelson took the cane from him and immediately Donovan took it away again; at this time Donovan had more the appearance of a maniac than any man I ever saw so much so that I was greatly frightened. Witness then described the shooting as heretofore. The man did not fall suddenly, but staggered against the partition and from thence to a sitting position and there he lay until let down to his full length upon the floor.
    L.A. Pearce sworn- Pearce's testimony was also substantially the same as Dr. Watts, with but little, if any, deviation in the details of the affair. His description of the manner of Donovan coincided with the previous testimony. He said that Donovan appeared to handle Nelson as if he were a boy 10 years old.
     Gust. Schnitger sworn- Sheriff Schnitger's testimony was the same as before reported.
     Philip Racquet sworn- Testimony substantially as before.
     The prosecution here rested.
     By mutual consent the case was then adjourned until 2 o'clock.

     Upon the opening of the Court this afternoon, the mother of Mr. Nelson was sworn as a witness for the defense.
     Her testimony was as follows:
     This is my son; my age is between 70 and 80, I was present in the saloon at the time of the shooting was done, heard the report but did not see the shot fired, at the time the shot was fired he was holding a stick over my head, and I said to him, "don't kill me."; saw Mr. Watt in the saloon and think it was his cane that the man was holding over my head. The man was making a noise in the saloon.
     Cross-examined- I was struck on the shoulder, and fell back against the counter, I think it may have been the partition.
     The defense here rested their cause.
     Gen. Leake then rose and addressed the Court, said he was sensible of the solemn duty devolving upon hi as the prosecuting Attorney in this case but he would say that from the evidence given he should have acted the same as Mr. Nelson under similar circumstances. He had nothing further to say in the matter and awaited the decision of the Court.
     Messrs. Martin & Murphy, Nelson's attorneys, submitted the case without argument, whereupon Justice Peters immediately discharged Mr. Nelson from custody in short order. The court room was quite full and the excitement great. The spectacle of Nelson's aged mother, who was carried into court, created a lively sympathy. Her injuries quite serious. Mr. Nelson was overcome upon finding that he stood legally free and clear in the eyes of the community. The dismissal of the case gave general satisfaction for public opinion sided with the person who protected his dearest relative, even to the taking of life, no matter what his occupation or the condition of his aggressor.

Wednesday, July 20, 1870


One S. Johnson reached town yesterday with $215 in his pocket. He selected as his hotel the Tremont House, on Iowa street between Front street and Second. After supper he went out to interview the city, and meandered into the St. Louis billiard hall. There he met a man whose front name was I. M. Henderson. He enjoyed the company of the latter party until quite a late hour and then went home, accompanied by Henderson, who said he boarded at the Tremont, and furthermore, that he occupied the same room and same bed Johnson did. The twain went home, and retired, Johnson putting his money under his pillow. Some time during the night Henderson crawled over Johnson, got out of bed, and went down stairs, returning in about fifteen minutes, and again laid down. On account of this simple transaction, when Johnson woke up next morning he found his money gone. Mr. Henderson didnít know anything about it, but the other thought he did, so an information was filed against him and he was taken before Justice Peters this morning to answer to the charge of burglary. The evidence was not strong enough to hold Mr. .Henderson and Justice Peters discharged him. He was a mighty honorable man though, and went with Johnson to his attorney and told him that he had intended to leave town to-day, but as Mr. Johnson had lost his money while sleeping with him, and consequently had suspicions, he would stay until a thorough investigation was had, which was certainly kind of him. Constable Martins had a second information placed in his hands and in company with Johnson secreted himself in the Tremont House barn and awaited developments. Pretty soon out came the Innocent M. Henderson and drew from a hiding place a goodly sized roll of bills and walked virtuously away; whereupon he was once more arrested and placed in jail. He will visit Justice Peters in the morning and explain how it was. If it hadnít been for his excessive kindness and high minded way of doing business he could have gone on his way rejoicing. It is rare we have such instances of unflinching integrity.

Since writing the above we learn that Henderson has been arraigned before Justice Peters this afternoon. His trial is now in progress.

Thursday, July 21, 1870:

Police Court.
John Quincher, a tinker by profession, was arrested yesterday for lying drunk in a gutter on Rock Island Street. The fact being proved conclusively on him he was fined $1 and costs and sent up.

Sent Up.

Henderson, the amiable party who did Mr. Johnson out of $215, and then assisted him to find it, was asked to give $500 bail at Justice Peters Court yesterday afternoon, but did not have that amount about him, so he was remanded to jail. He was brought up once more this morning on a charge of assault and battery but the plaintiff withdrew the suit and Mr. Henderson retired to his summer retreat.

Friday, July 22, 1870

P. Morgan disturbed the public peace by several loud assertions as to what he would do, and went to jail for it. J. Welker and wife indulged in a matrimonial row, and made Rome howl with their yellings. The case is being ground through this afternoon.

Monday July 25, 1870:

Police Court.

Numerous and sundry callers were before Justice Peters to-day charged with all manner of misdemeanors. Fritz Berger, for abusive language was fined $3 and costs, which he paid. Then came also H. Wendt, a butcher on Harrison street. His neighbors complained on account of unpleasant smells which originated in his shop, much to the disgust of their olfactories in this hot weather. Wendt was fined $5 and costs, and liquidated the same. Mr. Shaffer disturbed the public peace so much that he had to be taken up and brought before Justice Peters, who fined him and prescribed Schnitgerís boarding house as a remedy.

Thief caught.

Saturday morning James McKinney, of Rock Island, stole a horse, and came over to sell it. He was arrested and told where the horse was hitched, in LeClaire woods, near Farnam street, where he was found. McKinney was bound over in $800 bail, and he will be tried at the next term of court in Rock Island.

Wednesday, July 27, 1870:

Police Court.

John Martin got drunk and was fined $1 and costs, which he found himself unable to pay, and was therefore sent to jail.