Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Sep 2, 1873

     There has been an increase in the number of cholera cases in the city,
and very many who were attacked are again upon the streets. There is nothing
to be feared from cholera or cholera morbus if it is only taken in time. A
physician informed us to-day that there is no reason why a single person
should die of the complaint. Let each and everybody be particular as to the
food they eat, provide themselves with a cholera preventive, and in case of
an attack, immediately attend to the first stages, and the cholera loses all
its terrors. In each and every case proving fatal, the cause has been
indiscretion and neglect. Let this prove a warning. The list of dead now
numbers about twelve. To those mentioned before we append the following
fatal cases.
     Last night, at a boarding house near the bridge, a man named Burns died
of the cholera. He was taken with diarrhoea yesterday; neglected it, got
worse rapidly, and in an hour was in collapse. He came to Davenport from
Monmouth, Ills. and was about thirty-five years old. His body was buried
this morning. At the same house a boy, whose name we did not learn, was
taken with cholera this morning, and soon went into frightful convulsions.
At ten o'clock, he was in a hopeless condition. This case and that of Burns
are said to have been the worst cases of cholera yet known here.
     On Iowa street, near Second, Lottie Manning, a little girl five years
of age, died of cholera last night, after a few hours of sickness. The
funeral occurred this morning.
     A daughter of Miles Hoye, at the corner of Rock Island and Third
street, died of cholera early this morning. Yesterday afternoon she was
taken sick and continued to grow worse until death put an end to her
sufferings. She was working at the cigar-making trade, and was seventeen
years of age. She was a good and industrious girl and her loss is deeply
felt by her family and friends.
     At a saloon on Second street, near the Bridge, a man named Lorenzen
died of the cholera during last night. He had been sick for a long time with
diarrhoea, and most persistently neglected to cure himself. He paid the
penalty with his life. He was a German by birth and was about sixty-five
years of age. The body was buried this morning.
     To this list may be added the name of Mrs. Drumgoole, whose decease is
noted elsewhere.
     Mr. R.M. Prettyman, reported sick with the cholera, is suffering from a
very serious attack of bilious fever. He is getting better to-day.
     We visited one house near the bridge this afternoon, in which there
were three persons dying with the cholera. One child had died yesterday and
to-day the mother and two children were seized.
     This afternoon at two o'clock, Mr. Henry Raff, of the firm of Raff,
Cock & Co., died of cholera. He was seized with the complaint at eight
o'clock this morning and in spite of the strenuous endeavors of physicians,
it resulted fatally. Mr. Raff was about forty years of age. and was foreman
of the agricultural implement warehouse of which his firm were the
proprietors. He was a first class mechanic, a citizen of genuine worth, and
a sterling and upright business man. The scourge has stricken down a man
whom the city could ill afford to lose, and his firm has lost a pillar of
strength. He leaves a family to mourn his sudden end.
     Will the cholera death-roll lengthen or grow shorter within the next
twenty four hours? We know not.


Yesterday afternoon at six o'clock occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Drumgoole
a resident of this city since 1850. She was nearly forty-six years of age,
and had been a widow since 1856. She leaves three children, two daughters,
both married, and a son. Mrs. Drumgoole was taken with cholera yesterday
morning at three o'clock and neglect to call a physician hastened her death.

John Deere, the first mechanic to use steel in the manufacture of plows, is
Mayor of Moline, which city he may be said to have founded, having
established a plow shop there twenty-six years ago, which has gradually
grown to be the most important manufactory in the West.

Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Sep 3, 1873

     There is but little now to report in the way of cholera news to-day. We
hear of a number of new cases and we also learn of several deaths this
morning. We are warranted in saying that the prospects fo not look nearly so
dubious as yesterday for the dying out of the complaint. There were one or
two deaths in the region of Flat Iron Square this morning and these
fatalities can be traced, in early every instance, to the drinking of impure
water. Well water, below the bluff, is generally very impure, and in some
instances poisonous; and, when taken into the system, creates sickness as a
matter of course. We hope in a day or two to record the freeing of the city
from the unwelcome visit of the cholera.
     The Council Committee, Alds. Sears, McClelland and Jennings, appointed
last month to attend to putting the city in a better sanitary condition,
this morning secured the use of the old Supreme Court rooms in Grant's
block, for a temporary city hospital, while the present cholera season
lasts. The rooms will be immediately fitted up, and any strangers or others
taken with sickness can be removed there, where they will receive every
attention. This action of the committee is a very commendable one.
     We are informed that the cause of the death of Miss Mary Hoye was not
cholera, but consumption, also that she was 21 years of age, and that her
occupation was not cigar-making.
     This afternoon we have been making careful inquiries as to results of
the cholera in the city, and we find the number of deaths within the past
twelve hours does not fall short of twelve. One undertaker, Morse Ho?es,
buried six persons to-day, and had application for services which he could
not attend to.
     Among the deaths occurring last night and to-day are teh following:
Leismander Viele, a middle-aged man living on Harrison street, who leaves
family; Wm. Wagner, a fireman, who boarded on LeClaire street, near Fourth;
Mrs. Van Duzen and two grandchildren, three dead in the same house, on the
corner of Iowa and Second streets; Frank Nelson, adopted son of Mr. Hanigan;
a man named John Kelley; and an adopted daughter of Theodore Potter.
     The city authorities have taken energetic and prompt measures to day to
hold the cholera in check, and the good result of their labors will soon be

     Editor Democrat- Dear Sir- We must admit that there is some cholera in
this city, but the worst is over. There are more persons worried over the
rumors that thoughtless persons circulate about the ravages of the disease
than there need be. And many are led to think any little ailment they may
have are the first symptoms and the fear generally increases until their
systems are wholly opened to admit any kind of disease.
     As a preventative I would advise a little caution in eating, and a trip
to our Fair Grounds, every day, where enough can be seen to occupy the minds
and improve the inclings generally.
     There are on exhibition some of the finest stock in the state, swine,
trotters, cattle &c., agricultural implements, splendid poultry show, and
shows of various kinds.
     As a firend I say to all, go to the Fair, keep your minds on things you
see there, have a good laugh and chat with your friends and the cholera
won't hurt you.

     All steamers arriving here to-day displayed flags at half mast in token
of respect to the memory of the late R.M. Prettyman. We understand that in
St. Louis, and all other points on the river, wherever the sad news was
known, flags on all the steamers of the Packet Company were half-masted. Mr.
Prettyman was known to every Upper Mississippi river man, and they all
respected and loved the old gentleman. We believe that the was the oldest
steamboat agent on the Upper River; before the Northern Line Company wa
organized he was agent here for the boat lines that then existed and he has
represented the Northern Line Company ever since its organization. The
simple testimonial  of half-masting the flags was a most appropriate one,
and one which we are glad to record.

     Our young friend J.Lovell Cavendish, has gone from the midst of the
great army of the unmarried. He was united in marriage, last evening, to
Miss Bell Fischer. The ceremony occurred at the residence of J.T. Donahoo,
Esq., Rev. A.B. Kendig, of Cedar Rapids, performing the ceremony. We wish
the young people all the happiness and prosperity.

Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Sep 4, 1873

The Ravages of the Scourge in Davenport- Measures Taken to Check It.

     Whether the dreaded pestilence now present in our city is increasing or
diminishing, we are not prepared to-day to state, although we stated
yesterday, that in our opinion the scourge was abating. The welcome rain of
last night, and the energetic measures to check the disease, taken by the
city authorities, will perhaps have a tendency to do much good. The fatal
cases occurring since last issue have been numerous.
     Last evening at six o'clock, John H. Limberger, bar tender at the
saloon of Jenne & Co., on Third street, died of the cholera. He was taken
sick on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock, and continued in great pain until
his death. Limberger came her from Hannibal, Mo., about a year ago, was a
cutter by trade; was about fifty-four years of age; and had no relatives or
friends in Davenport. The corpse was buried last night at midnight.
     Jos. Hartzberg, a mechanic employed by the C.R.I & P. Company in Rock
Island, died of cholera last night. This is the first case occurring in that
place, the Union says.
     Mrs. Glenn, wife of Laurens Glenn, living near Flat Iron Square, died
of the cholera last night, and was buried at St. Marguerite's Cemetery, this
morning. She was about thirty-five years of age. Her child was very sick at
the time of her death; it was taken from the house to be removed to the
hospital,and the poor creature died on the way.
     Yesterday we published the death of John Kelley. To-day we announce
that his son, a promising young man, is in his grave.
     In Flat Iron Square since Monday there have been seven deaths from
cholera. In the square adjoining there have been fourteen deaths in the same
     In the Le Claire House, on Second street, near the bridge, there have
been four deaths since yesterday. Two of them were and two children. Another
child died this morning.
     In a small house near the corner of Flat Iron Square was a family of
three- husband, wife and child. On Monday they were all well; to-day they
are all in their graves.
     Flat Iron Square is a good place to breed disease. The filth is allowed
to accumulate and rot; the houses are dirty; the water bad. To-day and
yesterday the city authorities disinfected the place with about twenty
barrels of lime and kept tar burning. Most of the houses have been
disinfected, and the poor inmates are either dead or have removed to a
better facility.
   The temporary City hospital is under full headway, and at noon to-day
there were six or seven sick people there, receiving proper care and
attention. To-day a number of people were removed from Flat Iron Square, and
as persons were taken sick in such localities, they wre immediately removed
to the hospital.
     Officers have been busy today in notifying property holders and others
to disinfect the alleys, by-ways, and other filthy places throughout the
city. In nearly every case the orders have been obeyed. The proclamation of
the Mayor, published last evening, showing people that it is the
determination of the authorities to rigidly enforce the health ordinance.
     We published daily ghastly facts- and facts only- in relation to the
cholera. Let the people be warned by us- not alarmed. Remember the cholera
is not contagious and not epidemic. It can be cured in its first stages. It
need never be had by anybody if proper care and protection are exercised.

     IMPURE WELLS- As impure water is one of the greatest causes of cholera,
the following plan for purifying the water in wells may be of use:
     "Hang in a well supported by a string, a coarse canvas bag, with three
or four good sized limestones and one or two lumps of charcoal in it. Have a
string long enough to nearly reach the bottom of the well. In a week or two
take out the charcoal, throw back the limestone into the well with five
pounds of soft coal. Put a round or square wooden shoot up at the back of
the pump for free ventilation. If the pump is out of dorrs, put a "tee" on
top; if under cover, a fine wire gauze will do."

     Hon. Hiram Price has sold his splendid farm of three hundred and
sixty-two acres in Cleona township to Joachim Gottsch, the price paid being
$16,652. As part consideration, Joachim Gottsch transfers to Hiram Price one
hundred and forty acres in Hickory Grove township, for $8,400. The popular
real estate firm of John Ochs & Son negotiated the contract.

Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Sep 6, 1873

     The pestilence has not yet died out in our city, and we are of the
opinion that there is an increased number of cases. The complaint has found
most of its victims so far among the lower classes in localities where water
is impure, where the air is tainted with disease, and the alleys and yards
are filthy and filled with corruption. Among this class the cholera still
claims victims.
     Last night a man named William McGee, living on Iowa street, between
Second and Third streets, died of the cholera. He was taken with diarrhoea
several days ago, which he neglected. He got very much worse yesterday, and
died at eight o'clock last evening. The body had to be interred as soon as
possible and was taken to the cemetery at midnight. McGee came here from
Maquoketa, was a plasterer by trade, and had been working at the Burtis
Hotel. He was a middle aged man, and leaves a wife.
     At a boarding house on Third street, near LeClaire street, two
brothers, named Ernst and Chris. Peterson, wre taken sick yesterday morning
with the cholera, and both died in the afternoon. They wre buried at the
same time, the funeral taking place at seven o'clock last evening. They were
Swedes by birth, both young men, and neither married, nor having friends in
this country.
     At a house on Iowa street, near Second, Mrs. Western died last evening
of cholera. In the same house two children have also died within the past
twenty-four hours.
     Mrs. Hannigan, wife of Thomas Hannigan, living near LeClaire street,
was buried yesterday morning.
   From yesterday morning and until eight o'clock this morning, Morse Boies,
the undertaker, has attended to nine funerals, all cholera cases.
     The City Hospital has been the means of great good already, but now it
will be the means of still greater good, for to-day the Sisters of Mercy,
who are continually going about doing good, took charge of the hospital. The
patients, under the tender and watchful care of the good Sisters, will be
saved if a cure is possible.
     Yesterday a man named Ole Anderson, died of the cholera, and was
buried. Upon his coffin is an inscription which gives the particulars of his
death. These we will not allude to here, but suffice it to say that he
offered up his life a sacrifice to others, watching the sick, he took the
complaint and died.
     In conclusion, we again caution our readers, that they may be very
careful in their persons, their living rooms, their outbuildings, and yards;
the epidemic is spreading and nothing but the greatest cleanliness and
personal care will secure our city from the direct effects. The disease has
now entered the most thickly inhabited part of the German quarter and the
cool weather will naturally cause the closing of windows, doors, etc. Where
many people are living together, the breathing of impure air is a pregnant
evil and the most open ventilation is advisable. Prevention is not only
better than cure, but the only absolute escape from death in cholera times.
So let sobriety, restricted use of fruit and vegetables, moderate eating,
strict personal cleanliness, courage, and a small indulgence in red wine or
good astringent and tonic liquors, secure us from the ravages of the
epidemic among us.

Davenport, Sept. 5th, 6 p.m.

Four new cases were reported since morning. One of them that of Mrs.
Western, on Iowa street, who had since died, leaving three helpless
children. The children were taken to Mercy Hospital, the neighbors refusing
to receive them and Mr. Western being unable to care for them.

No new cases reported in Flat Iron Square.

Mr.Fred Parker was engaged to hold himself in readiness with his express
wagon at all times, subject to the orders of physicians or the Board.

Adjourned, Sept. 5th.

     Only one new case was reported since last evening.
     Messers. Preston and Lischer were appointed a committee to engage two
cooks for the hospital.
     Mayor Murphy and Alderman Sears were empowered to obtain a suitable
place for a temporary hospital.
     Several nuisances were reported and measures taken to abate the same.
     Measures were taken to send Mr. Glenn and his three children to their
relatives in New York, he being entirely destitute and his father and mother
having died, leaving no one to take care of the children.

Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Sep 8, 1873

     If the reports are true, and judging from the facts as we learn them,
there has been no decrease in the ravages of the cholera in this city since
     In the region of Flat Iron Square the disease has pretty well died out,
and this morning we understand there is but one case there; that a woman,
who is recovering.
     Last night, about nine o'clock, a man named Henry Blackson, watchman on
the Island end of the slough bridge, was taken sick with the cholera. He
continued sick until four o'clock this morning, when he died. The body was
buried this morning from the late residence of the deceased on Iowa street.
he was a middle aged man and a widower.
     Down on Ainsworth street, in West Davenport, last night, died a man
named Charles Kickler. He had been suffering for some time with the
diaarhoea, which finally resulted in cholera, and caused his death. He was a
Swede by birth and forty-eight years old.
     A man named Bonner died on the steamer Rock Island, on Saturday, on the
upward trip of that steamer when it was near Dubuque. His disease was
     Mrs. McCrellis, wife of Mr. McCrellis, baker at Rule & Jack's, died of
the cholera during the night, and was buried today.
     One of the saddest incidents that has yet occurred in connection with
the cholera here, is the sudden death of Mr. and Mrs. Cook, an old couple,
who lived on the south side of Third street, opposite the Pennsylvania
House. On Friday afternoon Mrs. Cook went out to DeWitt to see some
relatives. When she started she was quite sick, and upon arriving at DeWitt
was dangerously ill. Intelligence of her sickness was conveyed to her
husband here, and on Sunday he took the train for DeWitt. He also was sick-
unable to travel- and the journey, short as it was ,brought him very much
lower. When he got to DeWitt, Mrs. Cook was dead. He himself continued to
sink until death ended his sufferings and his life, he dying a few hours
after arriving. The old couple, dying thus together, were buried together at
DeWitt early on Sunday morning. Mr. Cook was well known in this city; he was
a native of Connecticut, and was one of the oldest residents of Davenport.
He was about sixty-five years of age.

Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Sep 9, 1873

     The scourge hat has been so prevalent in Davenport during the past two
weeks is now rapidly decreasing, and the number of cholera cases now under
treatment is not half as large as it was a week ago. There have been few
fatal cases within the past twenty four hours, and the number for the next
twenty-four will be still smaller. We are glad to record this fact- glad to
know that the pestilence has abated and is dying out, and that we will not
have to present a daily list of victims.
     The visit of the cholera here has caused much suffering, much sorrow,
and many tears. It has carried away several most respectable citizens; and
has struck down young and old, rich and poor. The poor denizens of the
lower districts have had to do battle with the destroyer- when the conflict
was a terribly unequal one. The cholera death roll is a ghastly one- longer,
very much longer, than any of our readers can imagine. The number of bodies
buried by the city authorities has not yet been announced, but it is a very
large one, and reaches not very far from two score. It is a short time we
will give a correct statement of the number of deaths of cholera, and then
our citizens can judge for themselves whether this has "ony been a cholera
     But glad are we that the terrible visitor is departing;  mournful are
we that the list of victims is such a long one. Our Board of Health, the
Mayor and Sanitary Committee of the council, are deserving of great praise
and credit for the prompt and energetic steps taken to check the progress of
the cholera. Had it not been for them the ravages of the scourge would have
been dreadful.
     There is still a large number of cases of cholera under treatment in
this city; some that will prove fatal, others that will soon be well. Latest
reports from all quarters of the city show that there are few, if any, new
cases. This is hopeful. Whether the cholera will renew its ravages or not,
remains to be seen, but, by the looks of things now, we should judge that it
has departed for good.
     Last Wednesday, Mr. _______ Graville, employed at the railroad car
shops in this city, went out to Durant, with his wife, to escape the
cholera. Only a few hours after his arrival there, he was taken with the
cholera, and he died on Thursday. His wife returned to the city, a widow.
     John May, one of the oldest residents of this city, died at Mercy
Hospital, last night of cholera. He had been living at the hospital for
several months past, his infirmities forbidding his living alone. Mr. May
was about sixty-five years of age, and had lived in Davenport over
twenty-five years. His funeral occurred to day.
     There were two deaths on Iowa street during the night, one a woman and
the other a child. Both buried to-day.

Davenport, Sept 8

     Board met at 8 o'clock P.M.- same members present as at morning
     Dr. Cantwell reported but one case left in old hospital, and but one
case taken to the new hospital. He also stated that but five deaths had
occurred in the old hospital, and every one of these was in a hopeless
condition when brought there. The people who had been brought in before
collapse, and some even in the last stages of collapse, had recovered. Mrs.
Diagle, who is convalescent, si to be taken to the poor house being in
indigent circumstances.
     Mr. Gifford presented the following reports from city physicians:
     Dr. Grant- No new cases to-day. Am treating two cases- one a child on
Third and Rock Island streets, and the other a young man on Second and Rock
Island streets.
     Dr. Bell.- No new cases to-day. Have treated five in all.
     Dr. Maxwell- No new cases since 12 o'clock Sunday night. Have treated
eighteen cases in all, and had six deaths. Previous to Sunday night the
cholera had abated for two days; but have since seven cases that have
assumed a form that will require careful nursing and treating at the place
where taken, without moving at all, if possible.
     Dr. J.W.H. Baker- Have seen seven well marked cases in all- teh first
one being Mr. Raff. Have seen one new case to-day, on Seventh street,
between Farnam and LeClaire streets.
     Dr. Tomson- One marked case on Iowa street, between Second and Third-
John Foster. No new cases to-day. have several cases of diarrhea, who are
yielding to treatment, and have not gone on to a state of collapse.
     Dr. Farquardson.- No new cases to-day. Have seen but two cases, one Mr.
Stoner, at the Hospital, and Mrs. O'Brien, ?th and Fillmore.
     Dr. Middleton- He had six marked cases which he had treated. Four of
the six were children; two are now living and thinks they will recover. All
the cases located in the vicinity of Iowa and Second except one on Fifth and
Brady. The two under treatment are near the new hospital. Regards the
recovery of these last, as indicating that the disease is, in individual
cases, milder.
     Dr. Cantwell- Has three new cases on hand doing well. No new cases
to-day. In the hospital five have recovered. One admitted to the new
hospital to-day.
     Dr. Peck- Have had only of marked cases, nine. Three are on hand, one
of these was taken Sunday night. One may prove fatal; the others are
     Dr. J.F. Baker- No new cases to-day. Has had four well marked cases in
all outside the hospital.
     Dr. Olshaurn- Has not had a single case of Asiatic cholera.
     Dr. Schlegel- Has had no cases of genuine cholera.
     Dr. Kurtz- Has had two cases of real cholera.
     The new hospital will be vacated to-day as there is very little use for
it, and it is thought that the cases which may arise now can be as well
treated at the places where taken.
     Board adjourned till 8 o'clock this morning.

Davenport Democrat
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
Sep 12, 1873

The following is a list of persons admitted to the cholera hospital in this
city, commencing September 8 and ending September 10:

     Sept. 3- John Jenkins, recovered Sept. 4, and assisted in nursing the
sick until Sept. 6, and was again taken sick in the afternoon of that day,
and died of cholera in four hours.
     Sept. 4- Charles Erichan, died of cholera Sept. 5, was in a state of
collapse when he came to hospital.
     Sept. 4- Child of Lewis Reasoner, died in six hours after entering
hospital; child was nursed by its father and mother.
     Sept. 5- Peter Wilson; was in collapse when he entered and died Sept.
     Sept. 5- Kate Wilson (wife of the above) died Sept. 8.
     Sept. 5- John Glenn; was in collapse when he entered and died in five
     Sept. 5- Ole Anderson; was nursing the sick and was taken with cholera
and died in five or six hours.
     Sept. 6- Laura Wilson (sister of Peter Wilson) had apparently recovered
from cholera, but died from congestion of the lungs on the evening of
September 8th.
     Sept. 6- Edward Sheer, was in collapse when he came to the hospital and
died in three hours.
     Sept. 6- John J. McGuire, came to the hospital in the morning and
recovered so as to be discharged in the evening.
     Sept. 6- Hugh Jones, died in two hours.
     Sept. 7- Peter Hansen, died the same day.
     Sept. 7- Peter Hart, was in collapse when he came to the hospital, and
died in eight hours.
     Sept. 8- John Connell, was very low when he entered the hospital. Is
now convalescent.
     Sept. 9- Sarah Eldridge, has been constantly engaged in her efforts to
relieve the sick and administer to their wants during four days and nights.
Being over come with fatigue and loss of sleep, she was taken with cholera,
but is now in a fair way to recover.
     Sept. 6- Christian Eumark was in collapse when he came to the hospital,
and died in about four hours.
     Sept. 10- Robert Callahan, mild form, is rapidly recovering.
     Eight of these cases were seen by other physicians before entering the
hospital. Six of the nurses besides those mentioned above, were taken with
diarrhoea, but all recovered.