"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."
The first cases of asiatic cholera that occurred in the vicinity of the present city of Davenport occured in 1832. During the previous year, Gen, Winfield Scott had been ordered to take 1,000 troops and proceed to Wisconsin Territory and keep in subjection the Indian tribes that were treatening war upon the whites. His forces moved westward from New York by way of the Erie canal to Buffalo, where, in embarking upon a transport that was bound to some point near Chicago, they took upon board a man who was lying to the sun upon the wharf sick with the cholera, of course not knowing the nature of the deisease. A few days after, the disease broke out among the closely packed troops and raged with great virulence, many dying with it. The decimated force landed near Chicago and wintered there, thence moving down as far as the present city of Dixon, in the spring of 1832. Gen. Atkinson, then in command, sent their baggage down Rock River in boats under charge of his Rangers, and landed it at Big Island, near the present village of Milan, where it was left subject to the purification of the elements. The Rangers came around up the Mississippi and went into quarters on the present Democrat farm. Soon after one of them was taken sick, and no one knowing what ailed him, he was taken to the hospital on the island. The surgeons at this post were not familiar with the disease - in fact know not what it was. The hospital was situated near the bakery, and soon the contagion spread among the bakers, and spread into the camp. Nothing could be done to stay the ravages of the scourge, and 100 were soon dead out of a garrison of 400. The garrison was then divided. One detachment was posted on the site of the present democrat farm; another at the present Watkin's place, a mile farther up the river. This selection of camps was in order to enjoy the wholesome water of the copious springs at each of those places. The third division went into quarters on the Illinois side, on the ground afterward occupied as a residence by P.L. Cable. The fort being abandoned the garrison scattered into healthful places, the scourage subsided, not a death afterward occurring.