A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE
EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO GROW IN CULTURE AND USEFULNESS IN DAVENPORT - PUBLIC BUILDINGS PROVIDED FOR ALL LINES OF INTEREST - A FINE LINE OF HELPFUL INSTITUTIONS - PLACES OF INSTRUCTION AND AMUSEMENT - HOTELS, HOSPITALS - SOMEWHERE FOR EVERYBODY TO STAY - A GREAT ARRAY OF ORGANIZATIONS FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE N BANDING TOGETHER.
PICTURES INCLUDED WITH THIS CHAPTER ARE: Street Scenes: Second Street looking west from Brady. Main Street looking south from Fifth. Third Street looking east from Harrison. Brady Street looking north from Second. Main Street looking north from Front. Second Street looking east from Harrison. Davenport has over 140 miles of streets, 50 miles of which are well paved with brick or asphalt. - Burtis Opera House in Late '60's - Young Men's Christian Association Building - Davenport Hotel - Davenport Hotel, Later C. P. Hotel, Built in 1836, Now Razed - Scott House - New Kimball, Hotel - Commercial Club - Elk's Building, Davenport - St. Luke's Hospital, Davenport - Mercy Hospital - Fejervary Home for Old Men - Bishop Home For Old Men, Kirkwood Boulevard and Brady Street - Masonic Temple, Davenport - Inn At Fejervary Park - Outing Club Inn.
A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE
For the social side of its citizens and also for the higher plane of intellectual life Davenport makes adequate provision for its citizens. The parks with their fine refectories and dining halls supplement the accommodations offered by the Outing Club, the Commercial Club, the Turner Hall, hotels and private homes for entertainments. There are social organizations by the hundred. The clubs for study are numbered by the score. One organization of men, the Contemporary club, has a long and useful history. A similar one among the German-American men is the Tafel Runde. One community only antedates Davenport in maintaining University Extension lecture courses. These lectures are annually given in the spacious auditorium of the High school and are generously maintained. Among the societies for philanthropic work are the Ladies' Industrial Relief society, the People's Union Mission, the Rummelpott club, the Visiting Nurse's association, the Babies' Friendly society and the many organizations connected with the various churches.
One of the newer organizations which holds regular meetings in its handsome home on Western avenue is the Ethical society. The Public library offers accommodations in handsomely appointed club rooms and here a number of literary and scientific organizations hold regular sessions.
This chapter will be devoted to mention of public buildings and organizations of vaious kinds.
THE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
The Academy of Sciences was organized in 1867, on the evening of December 14th, by four men who met in a business office to consider plans for the instituting of a scientific society, and within a year from that time the society had fifty members on its roll. As soon as possible a cabinet of natural history specimens was begun and placed in the rooms of the library. In 1873 a small back room was rented, in which three or four cases of relics were displayed and the following year saw the society installed in better quarters in the Odd Fellows' building, where weekly meetings of the members kept alive an active interest in the academy's work. In 1877 a building lot was donated by Mrs. Patience V. Newcomb and the desire to erect a home for the academy took possession of its enthusiastic members. The building soon assumed proportions and in 1878 was finished, giving the devotees to scientific research meeting and library rooms and an apartment for the collection of relics. Prior to this, or in 1873, the academy had become interested in the exploration of mounds in the neighborhood of Davenport and many valuable relics were secured by their efforts in the way of carved stone pipes, skulls, copper axes, objects made of skulls and bones, pieces of pottery and stone arrow-heads, spear-heads and the like. Later valuable pieces of pottery were secured from mounds in Arkansas, Tennessee and states contiguous, most of which were collected by Captain W. P. Hall, who had made long voyages in his skiff on the Mississippi and many of its tributaries. To give to the world a description of these valuable "finds" the "Academy's Proceedings" appeared in book form in 1875, the money for its publications having been raised by the Women's Centennial Association in subscriptions and home entertainments. This volume was one of the exhibits at the Centennial Exposition held in Philadelphia in 1876. Since then many volumes have gone to press and today the academy has at its command a permanent publication fund, the foundation of which was established by a bequest of Mrs. Mary P. Bull, of $10,000, and which was given as a memorial to her brother, Charles E. Bull, and a nephew, J. Duncan Putnam. This fund was increased in 1903 by Mrs. M. L. D. Putnam, who left the academy $24,000. This makes it possible to keep up the publication of the "Proceedings" which are sent to leading libraries, learned societies and similar institutions in various parts of the world. As a result the academy in turn receives similar publications, which assures to the building up of a scientific reference library that is now one of the most compete west of Chicago. The library is classified and catalogued, making any subject readily obtainable. Twelve large rooms are now devoted to the display of the academy's collection of anthropological and natural historic relics.
In 1899 the academy came into possession, by purchase, of the Presbyterian church building, adjoining its property on the south, which is now known as Science Hall. It is located on the corner of seventh and Brady streets. In 1902 a curator was employed, whose duties are continuous and the academy is today quite frequently visited by teachers and their classes of the various schools of the city. In 1904 the Davenport school board gave official recognition of the academy's work by appointing its curator as special instructor in science in the schools.
The first president of the academy was David S. Sheldon, who was professor of natural science in Griswold college, and Dr. C. C. Parry, an eminent botanist, became his successor, with a number of others of prominence to follow him in that office.
The Putnam family have for many years taken a deep interest in the Academy of Sciences. The will of W. C. Putnam who died in 1896 provided for an endowment of property approaching a quarter million dollars in value, the income to become available for the Academy's enlargement when the property has been put into its most productive condition. In accordance with this provision the trustees commenced in the spring of 1910 the erection an an eight-story office building on the historic site of the famous hotel of 1839, LeClaire House, the old structure being razed to make room for the new one. The many friends of the academy are looking forward to the time when the institution may benefit greatly by the bequest.
YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION
In 1867 the birth of Young Men's Christian Association took place in Davenport and from a small and humble beginning the city has the splendid society of Christian men and its magnificent home, built from funds donated by broadminded and liberally disposed citizens. The association's home at one time was in the Metropolitan block, then in Moore's hall, later in the old postoffice block and afterwards in the Forrest building. The expenses were maintained (?) by voluntary subscriptions and a useful and beneficent work was carried on by the members. The association had many ups and downs and from time to time almost ceased to exist. This was the condition of its affairs when, in 1908, new courage was aroused by a movement for a re-organization on differnt lines and the offer of $50,000 toward the erection of a building by Davenport's lumber king, E. S. Crossett. This gave impetus to other subscriptions and after the committee selected for that purpose had made a canvass of the city, the total amount subscribed for a Young Men's Christian Association building amounted to $102,000, and it may be here related that within ten days after the subscriptions were closed $100,000 was placed in the bank to the credit of the association, a record for prompt payment probably never surpassed or equalled in any other city in the country. A further gratifying fact to be noticed is that of the $102,000 subscribed and the $100,000 paid in, the difference has been more than made up in accrued interest and special subscriptions by individuals and church societies since the erection of the buliding, which has been placed in the fund for furnishings. Another fact, which is still more gratifying and substantial, is that the association is absolutely free of debt.
Of the large subscriptions to the building fund Mr. Crossett's stands out preeminently-$50,000. J. E. Lindsay subscribed $10,000; Major E. B. Hayward, $2,500, and several subscriptions of $1,000 and less made up the grand total.
The new building which is on the corner of Harrison and Fourth streets, was started in 1908 and on the 1st of July of 1909, the dormitories were furnished and occupied. The building proper was completed on the 6th of September following, and October 21st was formally dedicated, the principal address being delivered by Dr. E. B. Rogers, pastor of the First Baptist church of Champaign, Illinois. The program was an elaborate one and extended from Monday, October 18th, to Saturday, the 23d. The structure architecturally is modest, though every pleasing to the eye and is constructed of dark gray brick and stone trimmings, and cost, with the lot and furnishings $110,000. The basement is occupied by the junior department where they have their club rooms and so forth, and swimming pool, and the first floor, gives way to the main social parlors and gymnasium. The second and third floors are devoted to dormitories. There are now over 600 members and the association has a bright future before it. The officers are as follows: Board of directors, president, George S. Johnson; vice president, A. G. Bush; recording secretary, J. E. Hardman; treasurer, George M. Bechtel; general secretary, C. B. Turner; assistant secretary, S. A. Randall; physical director, H. L. Reinhardt.
The Board of Trade was organized in 1867, with the object of collecting and recording statistical data relating to commerce and manufacturers to the end that Davenport might be benefited and to promote the commercial and manufacturing interests of the city. The association continued as such for some time, when interest in it lapsed until in 1882 a reorganization was accomplished, but later abandoned the Board of Trade's features of buying and selling stocks and furnishing market reports, and in January, 1882, the Produce Exhcange took its place. Finally this concern reached its end and the Davenport Business Men's Association was formed and did much good, while it lasted, to promote the welfare of the city until the early part of 1906, when steps were taken to organize the Davenport Commercial Club. The committees selected to start the movement for the new organization were not long in reaching the conclusion that their efforts were to meet with success and with but little difficulty the money was raised for the magnificent seventy-five thousand dollar building which was soon thereafter built on the northwest corner of Main and Fourth streets. This building is a modern club house in all its appurtenances. The main floor has the parlors, secretary's office, reading room and director's room. The next floor is devoted to the cafe, and contiguous thereto are the dining room and kitchen. On the floor below the sidewalk those of the members so disposed can find a rathskeller and billiard and pool rooms. The club itself meets the needs of a city like Davenport, which is ever ambitious to grow and shine with its competing cities of the state, and the organization is accomplishing this in a way that calls for the commendation of every real friend of Davenport. Manufacturers and jobbers have been brought together, freight rates have come under the club's special attention, with gratifying results to the shipping and receiving merchant. In many things through its efforts the railroads have been induced to meet requests of the club on the part of citizens at least half way, to the end tha Davenport has become a convention city of no mean order, and in that one item the city is largely advertised and the hotels' and merchants' receipts largely increased.
The club has its committees on commerce, manufacturing, jobbing, transportation, finance and other business interests and their endeavor and determination is to talk unremittingly of the advantages of Davenport as a manufacturing and business center and to do everything legitimately within their power to advance the interests of the city.
The Commercial Club is incorporated with a paid up capital of $10,000.
THE OUTING CLUB
It was in 1890 or 1891 that some indefinite plans Rev. A. M. Judy, pastor of the First Unitarian church, was making which looked to the establishing of a center for out-door recreation began to take more specific shape. He had long seen the need for some place where the young people of his congregation and their friends could gather for games and field sports. The members of the Unity Club agreed with him and promised to help him in a substantial way. Near Central park was found the ideal location, the residence and grounds formerly occupied by J. D. Brewster. The home would serve the modest requirements of the original plans for a club house. There were acres enough for tennis, ball and field sports. Then plan widened as citizens outside Mr. Judy's congregation asked to be allowed to join. In June, 1891, the stock subscription lists were opened. In July the required 300 shares were placed. The property was purchased and the Outing Club took its place among the city's good features.
This was but the beginning. As the desires of the young people were manifested for additional facilities they were furnished. There were summer band concerts and dances; a bowling alley and shooting gallery was installed and when the idea of a club house for larger social occasions appeared a sumptuous structure arose with dining rooms, large enough to seat some hundreds of guests, smoking and billiard rooms, reading room, a splendid ball room which has a stage and scenery for private theatricals,-almost everything that anyone could consider worth while. All this the club house furnishes. In April 1905, a disastrous fire almost ruined the club house or Inn, as it is called. In July of the same year it was reopened, rebuilt and handsomer than ever. In August, 1907, the stockholders voted to sell the grounds to a holding company who has since paid all indebtedness, and furnish the property to the Club free of rental. The Inn has become a great feature in the social life of Davenport. Many people entertain there rather than at their own homes and the Inn is brightly lighted and filled with flowers and music many times during the social season. A great part of the social pleasure of the city has the Outing Club for its center.
The Davenport hotel was the first public caravansary to be erected in Davenport. It was buit in 1836 by Antoine LeClaire and Colonel George Davenport and was situated on the corner of Front and Ripley streets.
THE BURTIS HOUSE
This famous hostelry was thrown open to the public in 1857 and the first banquet to be held in the house was the first given by the Scott County Old Settler's assocation. The hotel was the rendezvous for everybody of importance during war times, and many army officers made it their headquarters. The building was erected by Dr. Burtis at a cost of $75,000, and for many years he was the boniface of this widely known place of entertainment for the inner man and the traveler of fastidious tastes. When the Rock Island road changed its through line over the newly constructed bridge the Burtis was left in the switch yard and its usefulness as a hotel ended. It is now occupied by the Cresent Macaroni Company. A new Burtis hotel was built at Perry and Fourth streets, on the new line. Shortly after the name was changed to the Kimball in honor of Superintendent A. Kimball of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific.
This hotel was built in 1878 and was for its day all that could have been desired. But the demands of the traveling public and new methods and conveniences coming into vogue made a change imperative, and in 1880 at least $80,000 was expended upon the interior of the building, making the hotel, as it was then considered, without fault. But in 1908 the building was completely remodeled, at an expense of $150,000, and today it is par excellence in beauty and equipment and has few equals in this section of the country. The office on the gournd floor is finished in marble, with large luxurious leathern chairs and settees, writing tables, and the whole lobby magnificently lighted by large plateglass windows. The dining rooms and bedrooms are beautifully furnished and the corridors are marvels in spaciousness. The Dutch style of decoration obtains and the lobbies' ceilings are supported by massive pillars of Flemish oak.
LE CLAIRE HOUSE
The next hotel of importance was the LeClaire House, built by Antoine LeClaire in the later '30s at a cost of thirty thousand dollars, and at the time it was the finest and most noted hostelry west of the Mississippi. It was located on the northeast corner of Main and Second streets and became a landmark for travelers, many of them of great distinction, and also the social and political center for the city and surrounding country. The LeClaire was finally called the Newcomb Housem,and in 1895 W. C. Putnam secured control of the property and additions built thereto by LeClaire in the early '50s. Since then the buildings have been known as the North Putnam block. In the spring of 1910 that part of the block originally devoted to hotel purposes was torn down to give way to a modern eight-story business building, and at this writing is in course of construction by the Putnam estate. The manager of the estate intends eventually to extend the improvement so that the whole block will be uniform in design and architecture. This will be one of the greatest and most ambitious improvements in Davenport since its intense spirit of progressiveness began to show results in the many public and private structures which have been put up and which now can be seen on every side of the business section of the city.
THE NEW DAVENPORT
The New Davenport opened for business in 1908, a short time before the New Kimball, and presented to the public one of the finest and costliest hotels in the Mississippi valley. It is located at the corner of Fourth and Main streets, is a fireproof structure and modern in every detail. There are 250 rooms, of which 150 are provided with baths, and each room has hot and cold running water, as has also the New Kimball.
Davenport is well supplied with good hotels, and the accommodations given by them make the city a most desirable place for conventions, of which there are many here gathered in the course of each succeeding year, especially in the summer. Of these mention may be made of the St. James; Kemper Hall, a select private hotel presided over for a number of years by Mrs. Louis LeClaire; The Saratoga; The Arlington; The Palestine; The Windsor; and a number of others.
PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDINGS
High school, between Main and Harrison and Eleventh and Twelfth streets.
PLACES OF AMUSEMENT
Davenport has the reputation in the theatrical world of being a "good town" for the business and from that fact the best talent in the country makes dates for this place. The city has two modern opera houses, the Burtis and the Grand, and then there also is the Princess, which now is devoted to performances by a stock company, at popular prices. There are two vaudeville places, the American and the Family theatre, which entertain large audiences daily and nightly, at a small price, and since the advent of the "moving pictures" Davenport has been well supplied with places, whose seats are generously patronized both day and night, where for five cents a half hour's entertainment can be obtained.
THE POST OFFICE
On April 19, 1836, Antoine LeClaire became the first postmaster of Davenport, having received his commission on that day from Washington. He had no deputy, nor had he any other means of carrying the mail but on his own proper person, and his mail bags were the capacious pockets in the tail of his coat. Semioccasionally letters would arrive in Stephenson, now Rock Island, to which place he would go and receive them. His first quarter's stipend was said to have been the munificent sum of seventy-five cents. But this was not the first postoffice etablished in this vicinity. The island of Rock Island is given that distinction and Colonel George Davenport was placed in charge of the mails there in 1824. Previous to this, during the occupancy of the island by government troops, the mails came in at very irregular intervals, by military manipulation, once a year or oftener, as supplies or reinforcements were sent in. When Colonel Davenport was appointed the nearest office was at the little town of Atlas, on the Illinois river, about three miles from its mouth. It was between this point and the island, about three hundred miles distant, that the mail carriers, either on foot or on horseback, made trips once a month. A few years later the nearest postoffice was at Clarksville, Missouri, 245 miles away; then the service got up as far as Hannibal, 208 miles, and a little later to Quincy, 183 miles. Between the island and Quincy the mail service was performed by Rev. Peter Williams, a Methodist minister. A local writer says of him: "Meager as to education, but chuck full of zeal, he faithfully served Uncle Sam and his Divine Master contemporaneously delivering his mail and his rousing old backwoods Methodist sermons at the same time. Despite the well-known text upon the subject, he did serve two masters, and did it well. Parson Peter's loftiest efforts were reserved for the sinful men of sanguinary war who peopled Fort Armstrong. At that point, of a Sunday, in his plain, ungrammatical style, did the venerable old man thunder forth the gospel with most earnest vehemence. He was a Methodist, with the bark on, and he took no pains to conceal it. He was the pioneer Methodist of these parts, probably the first preacher of any denomination among the white men in this vicinity."
LATEST YEARLY STATEMENT
Yearly statement, ending March 31, 1910: Stamp sales, $175,430.75; box rent, $692.40; newspaper postage, $9, 491.51; waste paper, $44.96; total, $185,659.62; year 1909, $169,114.96; gain for year, $16,544.66.
MAIL FROM THE WEST
The route from Quincy to the island was suspended in 1829 or 1830, and the island mail came in by way of Chicago and Galena, by horseback from the latter place until about 1835, when it commenced coming by vehicle by way of Dixon, and it kept coming by that route until the advent of the steam horse. In 1838 there were several mail routes into this vicinity, bringing mail about half the days of the week.
Colonel Davenport was in possession of the office several years before he was properly sworn in. Judge Irwin, of the United States supreme court, by chance visited the island and administered the long-neglected oath of office. Mr. Davenport was postmaster on the island until November 25, 1834, when his charge was turned over to Miles Conway, at Farnhamsburg, now Rock Island.
In December, 1836, D. C. Eldridge opened a store in a little log house down on the corner of Front and Ripley streets, and Mr. LeClaire made him his deputy, and gave him charge of the office. The duties of this office were not yet burdensome, though provisions were made for bringing the mail over in a mail bag. Mr. Eldridge closed out his store in a year or two, and in the summer of 1838 built a little one-story brick house on the corner of Third and Main streets, for his future residence, and just east of it, upon the same lot, erected the little brick office for a postoffice. It was not much of a building, and would but poorly accommodate the business of today. But it was quite a neat little affair, and really a great improvement in its day. There was plenty of room for the neat little array of boxes, and for two or three city magnates to sit and talk awhile with the agreeable and chatty postmaster. It was the first expressly built postoffice building in Davenport. From a well-written article by D. N. Richardson, the following extract is taken: "Mr. Eldridge ended his service as deputy in February, 1838, and was now commander-in-chief of the department, receiving his commission through the influence of General George W. Jones, of Dubuque, then delegate in congress for Wisconsin territory. Mr. Eldridge had formed the acquaintance of the general in 1835, while moving into this country, and afterward met him at Burlington, in 1837, while the Wisconsin territorial legislature was there in session, before which body he was a candidate for further congressional honors. Mr. Eldridge was a whig and the general a democrat, but politics didn't amount to much on the border in those days, and if it did it didn't make any difference in this case. The general took a liking to Mr. Eldridge and got him the position, which he held, with but a single recess, for more than a dozen years. The postoffice remained in the little brick office for nearly two years, in 1840 was removed to the White Hall tavern, but then newly erected upon the site now occupied by the Democrat building, Mr. Eldridge being its host. The postoffice was kept in the bar-room of the White Hall for a little more than a year, when Mr. Eldridge retired from hotel-keeping and established a handsome and spacious reading room in the basement of the LeClaire House. The postoffice was removed into the reading-room and there remained until 1843, when a little frame bakery down on Main street was fitted up for its occupancy and the reading-room abandoned to other less literary uses. Here Mr. Eldridge kept his office until the inauguration of James K. Polk as president, in March, 1845, soon after which the office was handed over to John Forrest, the village justice. In the same building did Squire Forrest hold his court and handle the mail during the entire Polk administration. He informs us that he was unfortunate in his official career, in that about the time he entered upon his duty the rate of postage was reduced from twenty-five, eighteen and three-quarters, and twelve and a half cents per letter to ten and five cents, which interference on the part of the government in favor of the letter-writing masses for a while very seriously curtailed his percentage, which was no higher under the new arrangement than under the old. This trouble was but temporary, however, for under the reduced postage system the mail bags became much more weighty after awhile, and the receipts got to be quite satisfactory before his office term had expired. He remained postmaster until the summer of 1849, when General Taylor, having assumed the presidential chair, executed a commission to the former incumbent, and D. C. Eldridge again became postmaster. Upon taking hold of the office that gentleman removed it to Second street, into a new brick store building. He had bought out two drug stores just before, one of Dr. John F., now Judge Dillon, and another of Alfred Sanders, editor of the Gazette, and consolidated the pills and pestles in the aforesaid new two-story brick. So the drugs and mail matter were both dealt out over the same counter.
OUT IN THE COUNTRY
"This new postoffice location made trouble. It was away out in the country, the bulk of the city being between Main and Ripley streets. The people wanted very much to know what the mischief he was carting the postoffice away up to Princeton for? They wanted their mail, and they didn't want to hunt all over the prairies for it, either! Petitions were circulated, numerously signed, and forwarded to Washington, where the grievances of the people were taken under advisement. The department called on Mr. Eldridge for an explanation of his sudden movement toward the lead mines. The worthy official responded by saying that he had sought to serve the interests of the department by removing the office from a rickety old frame to a substantial brick, and the entire distance between the old postoffice and the new was but about 500 feet by actual tape-line measure, and he believed it to be his duty to keep it there. So the government thought, and so the difficulty ended.
"The office remained there. In November, 1852, was General Frank Pierce chosen president. Mr. Eldridge wanted to spend the winter in Cincinnati, and concluded to give up the office, knowing that a change would probably be made in the spring, so he forwarded his resignation in favor of William Van Tuyl, a well know democrat. Mr. Van Tuyl was duly appointed postmaster and continued the office in the same place until the following spring, when the Pierce administration came into power, and assumed the reins of government. While the people of Davenport had no reason to find fault with the manner in which Postmaster Van Tuyl had conducted the affairs of his office, the democrats did object to the manner of his appointment. There were other aspirants to the position in the field, among whom were A. F. Mast, T. D. Eagal, editor of the Democratic Banner, Richard Shields and Gilbert McKown, who with their backers vigorously disputed the right of Mr. Eldridge, the former incumbent and a whig, to dictate as to which of the expectant democracy should enjoy the spoils of the glorious democratic victory. The general disquiet culminated in an appeal to General George W. Jones, who, not wishing to take the postal bull by the horns, directed, as there were several candidates in the field, the choice of the democracy be dictated by ballot. So they met at the court-house one quiet spring morning and voted-as usual. After a ballot or two Mr. Eagal withdrew his name in favor of Mr. Mast, who was the fortunate candidate. His name was sent forward and in due time his commission arrived. Mr. Van Tuyl, being of the opinion that his position would be sustained, did not go into caucus, and so lost his office.
A BUILDING PROVIDED
"Mr. Mast assumed control of the office and held it for eight years. Its location remained on Second street, near Brady, about three months, during which time he put up a new postoffice building on the corner of the alley on Brady, below Second street, which room becoming too small, was deserted in 1855 for more commodious quarters further up Brady street. When Mr. Mast entered the office, Davenport was just becoming a point of importance. The Chicago & Rock Island railroad was approaching completion; seven four-horse mail coaches of Frink & Walker's line left this place daily for various western points. The western mail arrived by way of Muscatine, at midnight, and about the office on arrival and departure of the mails there was that noise and bustle, rattling of coach wheels, prancing of horses, cracking of whips, and slinging of mail bags that will never be seen again. In those days, and until 1861, the postoffice boxes, now the property of the department, belonged to the postmaster, together with all their proceeds. This income, together with the usual percentage of 40 per cent on mail matter, amounted to about $800 the first year; increased to $3,300 in 1856 and 1857, and then under pressure of the panic subsided to $2,000 a year, in the later part of his official term. With the exception of a few months at the beginning, Richard Smetham was with him the entire term; and during the flush times spoken of, three clerks were employed. The opening of the mails on Sunday mornings in those times afforded a rare sight, the 'general delivery' patrons being numerous and anxious. Taking place in line as they arrived, the 'rear sergeant' generally found himself well nigh out of sight of the postoffice. At that time the Davenport postoffice was only one of three postoffices in the United States that had a surplus over expenses. The room, which was originally about fifty feet deep, was extended some thirty feet farther back by tearing away the partition and taking in what was then the city marshal's office.
TO THIRD AND PERRY
"In the spring of 1861, President Lincoln having been inaugurated, Charles H. Eldridge, having distanced all competitors, who were neither few nor far between, was commissioned to take the office. The city had grown during Mr. Mast's term to a place of 15,000 when Mr. Eldridge went into the office. The war broke out about that time and postal matters became very important. The business of the office swelled rapidly again. Mr. Eldridge remained in charge until April 1, 1864, when his recignation was accepted and Edward Russell, head clerk in the office, was appointed in his stead. Again the office was found to be too small and was removed to its present location (Third and Perry streets), in the fall of 1864.
"President Lincoln was assassinated in 1865 and Andrew Johnson reigned in his stead, and may were the offical heads that tumbled into the gutter in those days. On the 1st of December in that year General Add. H. Sanders, the eighth postmaster of Davenport, took Mr. Russell's place. Mr. Russell had really been removed on the 5th of October preceding, but by reason of a sturdy fight carried on by Mr. Price, then in congress, the 'taking off' was delayed until December. Mr. Russell retired in good order to the editorial room of the Gazette, of which paper he had been for some time editor-in-chief, and among quills, ink, paste-pot and scissors, bided his time until he should be able to wring the official neck of his official enemy. General Grant was elected president in 1868, and in May, 1869, the coveted hour came and Mr. Russell assumed control."
Great changes have taken place since Antoine LeClaire and his successor, D. C. Eldridge, brought the Davenport mails over from Stephenson in their hats or coat-tail pockets. Then the first quarter's salary amounted to less than a dollar; probably less than fifty letters were handled. Now they come in daily by the thousand. The position is a lucrative one. Then for several years the postmaster was wont to deliver letters to his patrons as he met them on the street; now he sends forth squads of men in uniform to scatter the heavy mails throughout the city, and the rural delivery wagons go out each morning loaded with letters, the daily papers, magazines, and other mailable matter and deposit them at the farmers' doors. But recently the crowd assembled at mail openings, and the people who called at the postoffice during each day numbered in the thousands. Now under the free delivery system it has dwindled down to a mere shadow of its former self. Time was when the pricipal number of letters were mailed at twenty-five cents, prepayment optional. Now you may write four pages and send it for two cents, or order $10,000 worth of goods on a postal card. But a few years ago sending money by mail was extra hazardous; now by systems of registration and postal orders you may transmit all you are worth in a short time and with perfect safety. Mail coming is no longer anxiously looked for; it is coming all the time, morning, noon and night. We are told that time was when it was a great financial question how to take out a twenty-five cent letter. Money was painfully scarce, and often the postmaster delivered them on credit, taking pay in farm and garden produce, day's work and barter generally.
THE PRESENT POSTOFFICE
The present postoffice building is located at the corner of Perry and Fourth streets, and is constructed of red sandstone and the architectural design is quite pleasing. At present the basement and first floor are devoted to the handling of mail matter and is the post office proper, while the second story is used by the government for its various offices here. The business of the office has increased properly arranged to facilitate the receiving and distributing of the mails, and the other uses for which it is required. To obviate this difficulty an appropriation was made by congress of $70,000 for the enlargement of the building and as this work goes to press the addition to the main building and the alterations necessary to harmonize with the gneral plan are well under way. The original cost of the post office was $135,000.
Davenport has been a postal point seventy-three years, and has had but thirteen postmasters in all that time: Antoine LeClaire, D. C. Eldridge, John Forrest, William Van Tuyl, A. F. Mast, C. H. Eldridge, Add. H. Sanders, and Edward Russell; also J. M. DeArmand, who served from 1884 until 1888; Colonel H. Egbert, 1888-92; Fred Lischer, 1892-97; George Metzger, 1897-1903; and Captain Lon Bryson, the present incumbent of the office, who was appointed in 1903.
Mercy hospital was opened December 8, 1868, under agreement between the Sisters of Mercy and the county, whereby the county obligated itself to furnish the hospital $2,000 for five years, without interest, this money to be used toward fitting up a building then owned by the Sisters. Ten insane paupers then devolved upon the incipient institution for its care, and a general hospital ward was prepared for other patients. Since that time the hospital has grown until today it has a main building devoted to its uses probably larger than any other in the state conducted under semi-private auspices. St. John's asylum, a monument to Bishop McMullen, who was one of the chief supporters of the insituation in its infancy, is four stories in height and can easily shelter over 200 patients. Here most of Scott county's insane are taken care of, the expense of which is borne by the public. The main hospital building is four stories in height and is 60 by 150 feet.
ST. LUKE'S HOSPITAL
St. Luke's hospital was established in 1894 and occupies a commanding position on the corner of Main and Eighth streets. It was founded through the efforts of Davenport physicians and officials of the Episcopal diocese, and was first established in the old Newcomb home. It has since been enlarged and faces on Eight street. It has prospered in every way and is now of the important institutions of the city.
THE CLARISSA C. COOK FOR THE FRIENDLESS
This institution is located on the corner of Pine and Bowditch streets and was established under the will of Mrs. Clarissa C. Cook, of Davenport, who died in February, 1879. In her will Mrs. Cook left $50,000 for the purpose of founding a home for the friendless where destitute and indigent women might find a safe refuge. Under the will Mrs. Cook gave the above sum of money to John F. Dillon, Edward E. Cook, Daniel B. Shelley and Ira Cook as trustees of the fund, and providing that they reside in the city of Davenport and county of Scott, and become incorporated under the laws of the state of Iowa, the object and purpose of said corporation being to provide a home for destitute and indigent females under the name and style of Clarissa C. Cook Home for the Friendless. With this sum of money was also bequeathed fifteen acres of land lying on the outskirts of the city, which was devised for the same purpose and upon which the home was directed to be built. Under another provision of the will $65,000 more were added to the resources of the proposed home. The provisions of the bequest were carried out to the letter by the trustees, who had accepted the trust imposed. On June 14, 1880, the trustees and Mrs. Agnes French, Miss Harriet Roger, Mrs. Mary E. Wing and Mrs. Clara B. Bills, selected by the trustees, formed a corporation as directed. These with F. H. Griggs as treasurer and ex-officio manager, formed the board of managers. The first officers were Mrs. Mary E. Wing, president; Miss Harriet Rogers, vice president; D. B. Shelley, secretary and F. H. Griggs, treasurer.
THE N. FEJERVARY HOME FOR AGED AND HOMELESS MEN
In 1892 this retreat for aged and homeless men was opened for the worthy who might seek its protection. It was the gift of Nicholas Fejervary, a Hungarian by birth, who had been connected with the Cook Home as trustee for a number of years. Mr. Fejervary was a man of large wealth and was imbued with the spirit of the liberal giver. The home is located in the northeast part of the city on Grand avenue.
THE INDUSTRIAL HOME
It was October , 1892, that the commodious and well located home of the Ladies' Industrial Relief society was opened, although the society had been in existence for six years previously. The building of this attractive two-story brick building was made possible by the liberality of Davenport citizens, notably the philanthropic Nicholas Kuhnen whose bequest formed a large part of the fund. The Ladies' Industrial Relief society was the successor of similar organizations maintained in the spirit of relief to the deserving poor, enabling them to help themselves through the help extended. The first organization of the sort was the Ladies' Benevolent society of 1849. During the war of the Rebellion this work was done under the name of the Soldiers' Relief association whose work was also local. In 1869 the Ladies' Christian association formed the next link in the chain. It was an auxiliary to the work of the Young Men's Christian association. This was succeeded by the present organization. While the names have been different the spirit and work of the societies have been the same, not only the relief afforded by gifts but a training in thrift and an influence to self-support. To name those who have given years of thought and work to this line of sisterly helpfulness would be to fill pages of this book with names of hundreds of the finest women that Davenport has boasted for sixty years. In this home of the Ladies' Industrial Relief the poor woman can do her washing with appliances, soap, hot water, everything necessary, free of cost. Here her children will be cared for out of school hours, and those too young to go to school, all day, while she goes out to work. Here relief in the way of clothing is constantly ready. The sending out of hundreds of Christmas dinners collected by the children of the city schools is an annual feature. Until sewing was introduced into the public schools a sewing school was maintained during the winter where girls were taught to make their own clothing, retaining the garments they fabricated.
At present there is an evening class in cooking to which are admitted young married women and younger girls upon whom have devolved the mother's duties in the household. An employment branch to supply housekeepers with helpers has grown into great popularity and is steadily diminishing the number of applicatioons for aid.
In the years of its life this society has done a vast amount of good; all honor to those generous people who have given to it so freely of their means, their time and their sympathies.
THE PEOPLE'S UNION MISSION
In 1895 Rev. Edward D. Lee, or as Davenport people seem to prefer to call him Ned Lee, came to this city and opened a mission at 207 West Second street. The name which sticks to a man usually indicates his characher and Ned Lee is like his name, plain, unostentatious, useful. His work in rented rooms attracted attention and support and April 24, 1903, a two-story building, 313 East Second street, was opened. Here are all facilities for mission work, an auditorium for meetings and entertainments, a large upper room for gymnasium, Sunday school, sewing school, suppers, a smaller upper room for the kindergarten and a meeting place for the Mothers' Mutual Benefit association. Here are held great suppers and dinners for the poorer people of the city. From here start summer picnics and outings. Here relief in clothing, lodgings and meals is dispensed. The Mission is generously maintained by the citizens and for its welfare they work shoulder to shoulder, people of all shades of religious belief and those of none. The Mission deserves well of generous people an its claims are cheerfully recognized. An endowment fund is growing slowly through bequests.
ST. VINCENT'S ORPHANS' HOME
The above is a Catholic strong arm of help, support and training for orphan children of this diocese, and is conducted under the auspices of the Sisters of Humility of Mary. The home is located on North Gaines street and just within the city limits, upon a large and valuable tract of land.
FRATERNAL ORDERS AND OTHER SOCIETIES OF DAVENPORT
Owing to the difficulty of collecting the data of the various fraternities and societies of Davenport, and the large number of them that are in the city, no attempt has been made to write an extended chapter for this work. However, a list of them is given below:
MASONIC (these bodies all meet in the Masonic temple): Davenport Chapter, No. 16, R. A. M.; Davenport Chapter, No. 178, O. E. S.; Davenport Lodge, No. 37; Fraternal Lodge, No. 221; Mohassan Grotto; Kaaba Temple; St. Simon of Cyrene Commandery, No. 9, K. T.; Trinity Lodge, No. 208.
ANCIENT AND ACCEPTED SCOTTISH RITE: Adoniram Lodge of Perfection; St. John's Chapter of Rose Croix, No. 4; Coeur De Leon Council of Kadosh Zarepath Consistory; Masonic Board of Relief.
ANCIENT ORDER OF HIBERNIANS, Division No. 1.
ANCIENT ORDER OF UNITED WORKMEN: Evening Star Lodge, No. 231; Germania Lodge, No. 5; Lessing Lodge, No. 74; Teutonia Lodge, No. 294.
DRUIDS: Teutonia Grove, No. 9. (This is a German organization.)
FRATERNAL AID ASSOCIATION: Davenport Council, No. 703.
FRATERAL BANKERS' RESERVES, No. 96.
FRATERNAL ORDER OF EAGLES: Davenport Aerie, No. 235.
HARUGARI: Herman Lodge, No. 489; Treue Brueder Lodge, No. 663; Treue Schwester Lodge, No. 130.
HEBREW: Davenport Lodge, No. 174.
HIGHLAND NOBLES: Castle, No. 92.
HOME GUARDS OF THE WORLD: Davenport Lodge, No. 1.
INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS: Davenport Lodge, No. 7; Canton Davenport, No. 40; Scott Zedoka Lodge of Rebecca, No. 281; Scott Lodge, No. 37 (German); Herman Encampment, No. 82 (German); State Encampment, No. 3; Prosperity Lodge, No. 704.
IOWA WORKMEN OF IOWA: Lessing Lodge, No. 74.
KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS: Coeur De Leon Lodge, No. 80; Columbian Lodge, No. 2, Uniformed Rank; Pythian Sisters, Phoenix Temple, No. 21.
KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF GOLDEN PRECEPT: Davenport Lodge, No. 44; Ladies' Working Society.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS: Loras Council, No. 532.
KNIGHTS OF FATHER MATTHEW: St. Mary's Council, No. 80.
ROYAL NEIGHBORS: Alberta Camp, No. 505; Cedar Branch Camp, No. 122; Forrest Camp, No. 2149; Golden Rod Social Club.
MODERN BROTHERHOOD OF AMERICA: Davenport Lodge, No. 219; Lafayette Lodge, No. 1021.
MYSTIC TOILERS: Davenport Council, No. 70.
ORDER OF SONS OF HERMAN: Davenport Lodge, No. 1; Eintracht Lodge, No. 3.
SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN VETERANS of 1848-50.
UNITED SPANISH WAR VETERANS.
ROYAL RESERVES SOCIETY: Davenport Lodge, No. 8; Royal Aid, No. 1.
SUPREMEM COURT OF HONOR: Supernal Court, No. 359.
TRIBE OF BEN HUR: Frank L. Snyder Tribe, No. 71; Terza Society, No. 1.
UNION VETERANS UNION.
UNITED TRAVELERS, No. 310.
WOODMEN OF THE WORLD: Carnival Camp, No. 1, of Iowa; Carnival Grove Camp, No. 12; Fidelity Camp, No. 347; Riverside Camp, No. 150; Olive Branch, No. 86.
WOMEN'S ORDER OF CATHOLIC FORESTERS: Sacred Heart Court, No. 315.
AMERICAN PATRIOTS, Coincil No. 42; Council No. 42; Council No. 44, Ladies' Working Society.
BENEVOLENT AND PROTECTIVE ORDER OF ELKS, Davenport Lodge, No. 238.
FRATERNAL UNION OF AMERICA, Davenport Lodge, No. 428.
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC, August Wentz Post, No. 1; General Geddes Circle, No. 24 (Ladies) Woman's Relief Corps, No. 34.
IMPROVED ORDER OF RED MEN, Multnomah Tribe, No. 134; Tecumseh Tribe, No. 32.
INDEPENDENT ORDER OF FORESTERS, Catholic Order of Foresters, No. 1350; Tri-City Court, No. 1609.
KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF SECURITY.
KNIGHTS OF THE MACCABBES, Davenport Hive, No. 8; Hennepin Hive, No. 7; Hennepin Tent, No. 73; Success Hive, No. 720.
LEGION OF HONOR.
ROYAL ORDER OF MOOSE, Davenport Lodge, No. 28.
ORDER OF OWLS, Nest No. 52.
MODERN WOODMEN OF 'AMERICA, Cedar Camp, No. 27; Mapledale Camp, No. 393.
MYSTIC WORKERS OF THE WORLD.
ROYAL ARCANUM. Widom Council, No. 80.
COLORED FRATERNAL ORDERS
MASONIC: Hiram Lodge, No. 19; Naomi Chapter, No. 23, O. E. S., St. Mary's Court, No. 11.
ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS: Eureka Lodge, No. 3899; Morning Glory Lodge, Household of Ruth, No. 1016.
Deutscher Krieger Verein; Davenport Rummelpott Club; Germania Sick Relief Association; German Beneficial Union; East Davenport Sick Relief Society; Einigkeits Club; Harmony Sick Relief Society; Ladies' Industrial Relief Society; Knights of Thor (Skandinavian); Teutonia Sick Relief Society; Northwest Davenport Relief Society; Davenport Lodge, No. 1, O. D. H. S.; Claus Groth Gilde; Benevolent Association of the Paid Fire Department of Davenport; Arbeiter Kranken Und Sterbekasse; Black Hawk Sick Relief Society; Danish Sister Lodge, No. 3; Columbia Sick Relief Society.
BABIES' FRIENDLY SOCIETY, Davenport Knights' and Ladies' Sick Relief Society, Industrial Home Association.
Davenport Trades & Labor Assembly; Davenport Association of Stationary Engineers, No. 7; International Association of Machinists, Tri-City Lodge, No. 388; Iron Molders Union of North America, No. 118; Electrical Workers Local, No. 109; International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employes, Tri-City Local, No. 85; Journeymen Plasterers Union, No. 28; Journeymen Tailors Union, No. 300; Lathers Union, No. 146; National Horseshoers Protective Association of Davenport, Iowa, No. 40; Journeymen Barbers International Union of America, No. 116; Sheet Metal Workers Union, No. 299; Painters & Decorators' Union, No. 199; Stonemasons Union; Plumbers Local, No. 387; Tri-City Labor Congress; Teamsters' Union, No. 563; Retail Clerks Association; Tri-City Bricklayers International Union of Illinois and Iowa, No. 7; United Brotherhood of Leather Workers in Horse Goods Branch, No. 11; Tri-City Typographical Union, No. 107; Women's Union Label League Local, No. 205; Tri-City Musical Society Local, No. 67, A. F. of M.; Association of Master Plumbers.
AMALGAMATED ASSOCIATION OF STREET RAILWAY EMPLOYEES OF AMERICA, No. 312; Amalgamated Glass Workers, International Association of America, No. 27; Bakers' Union, Local No. 36; Bakers' Union; Beer Bottlers and General Laborers, No. 365; Boilermakers' Union; Brewers' Union, No. 98; Brotherhood of Boilermakers' Helpers, Division No. 214; Brotherhood of Railway Carmen, Davenport Lodge, No. 273; Butchers' Union; Carpenters' Union, No. 1664; Carpenters' Union, No. 1272; Carpenters' and Joiners' Union of America, No. 554; Cigarmakers' Union. No. 172; Coopers' Union, No. 130; Grocery Clerks' Union; International Association of Machinists; Women's Trades Union Council.
CLUBS, DEBATING SOCIETIES, AND OTHERS
Cumberland Gun Club; Danish Brotherhood Society; Davenport Commercial Club; Davenport Academy of Sciences; Davenport Visiting Nurses' Association; Davenport Shooting Association; Davenport Cremation Society; Davenport Maennerchor; Davenport Turngemeinde; East Davenport Turner Society; Freie Brueder Gemeinde; Excelsior Rifle Club; Germania Chor A. O. U. W. of Iowa; Germania Kranken Unterstuetzungs Club; Hibernai Hall Association; Irrawadi Canoe Club; Gesang Verein Vorwerts; Grocers Retail Protective Association; Ideal Club; Iowa & Illinois District Medical Association; Ladies' Auxiliary of the Davenport Turner Society; Lend-a-Hand Club; Ladies' Harmonie Society; Master Butchers Association; Master Builders Association; Master Horseshoers Association; Masonic Temple Association; National Association of Letter Carriers, Branch No. 506; Northwest Davenport Turner Society; Peerless Club; Robert Burns Club; Platt Deutcher Unnerhohlungs Club; Scott County Humane Society; Women's Catholic Mutual Protective Society; St. Ambrose Literary & Debating Society; Scott County Medical Society; Teutonia Singing Society; Thalia Verein; The Old Veteran Kampfgenossen of 1870-71; Travelers Protective Association; United Commercial Travelers; Triangle Clinical Club; Turner Singing Section; Tri-City Musical Society, Local No. 67; Veteran Volunteer Firemen's Association; West Davenport Gesselichkeits Club; The Vorwaerts Singing Society; Women's Christian Temperance Union; West Davenport Maenerchor.
ALUMNAE ASSOCIATION OF ST. LUKE'S HOSPITAL: Association of Master Plumbers; Davenport Boat Club; Davenport Dairymen's Protective Association; Fairmount Cemetery Association; Germania Frauenbund; Harugari Frauenbund; Home Builders' Loan and Savings Association of Davenport; Mercy Hospital Medical Board; Roman Catholic Mutual Protective Society; Scott County Soldiers' Monument Association; Skat Club; Socialist Party, German Branch; Outing Club; United National Association of Post Office Clerks.
WOMEN OF DAVENPORT AND THEIR CLUBS
Sunday, November 25, 1905, the Daily Times issued a souvenir number of its paper, in which a large part of the history of Davenport was given its readers, together with many illustrations that added to the attractiveness of the publisher's most laudable undertaking, which was uniquely named "Watch the Tri-Cities Grow." In this well and carefully prepared issue of the Times a list of clubs organized and controlled by the women of Davenport was published and the same list is here reproduced:
In the matter of prestige and numbers the local chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution take the lead of women's organizations of the three cities. The Davenport society, known as the Hannah Caldwell chapter, was named for Hannah Ogden Caldwell, one of the two women martyrs to British bullets during the revolution and of whom the late Mrs. Mary Louise Duncan Putnam, of Davenport, a charter member of the national society of the D. A. R., was a lineal descendant. The Davenport chapter was organized in 1896 and is composed of many of the city's representative women. Mrs. Maria Purdy Peck of Davenport, one of its charter members, served for two years as state regent for Iowa of the D. A. R. and refused to consider the office of vice president general when her name was brought up before the national conference. Meetings are held once each month at the homes of the members from October to June inclusive. The early history of our country is studied faithfully and the chapter works continually for the preservation and promotion of the general spirit of patriotism.
IOWA SOCIETY OF COLONIAL DAMES
The origin of the Iowa Society of Colonial Dames belongs to Davenport for it was here on April 18, 1896, that a coterie of prominent women eligible to the order met at the call of Mrs. William S. Perry, the wife of Bishop Perry, and organized the Iowa Dames. The first meeting, when the society was formally launched, was held with Mrs. Perry at the Episcopal residence on Eleventh and Brady streets and it was attended by about fifteen or sixteen prominent women of the city. Mrs. Perry was chosen first president of the new organization. On July 1, 1896, the society was incorporated. Today there are about seventy members of the Colonial Dames scattered all over the state. Eligibility to the society is only by direct lineal descent from some person of high official rank (above captain) in the colonial army or of the goverment prior to 1776. This limits the membership of the national society to a comparatively small number in which the Iowa branch makes a good showing. Miss Alice French of Davenport, known in the world of letters as Octave Thanet, was president of the Iowa order for several years. The Colonial Dames of Iowa meet about three or four times a year, the annual session being held in May. Its chief work has been promoting the study of state history by the offer each year of a fifty dollar prize for the best essays on Iowa historical events. These essay contests which are open to pupils of the high schools and some of the colleges are each year entered into with spirit and have proved themselves incentives to the young people for much historical study and research. The Iowa society has also contributed much in the way of funds to the philanthropic work of the national order, among which was the fitting up of a hospital ship during the Spanish American war. The work of general preservation of historical spots of the country is also a feature of its work. By special permission from the Illinois society several Rock Island women are members of the Iowa society of Colonial Dames.
THE CLIONIAN CLUB
Davenport enjoys the distinction of having had the first formally organized woman's club in the state of Iowa. This was the Clionian club, founded in February, 1874, and from which sprung the Clionian club of today. The old Clionian club, named for Clio, the muse of history, was founded by Mrs. Maria Purdy Peck, assisted by Mrs. H. M. Martin, the latter now deceased, who invited a coterie of ladies to meet for the purpose of forming a study club, and thus was laid the foundation of the present day club system here. The old Clionian club flourished for ten years and finally adjourned. In 1899 it was formally reorganized by charter members of the old club and a sister organization of about the same time, known as the Bric-a-Brac club. Mrs. Peck was chosen to be the first president of the Clionian. The Clionian club is original in its line of study, following no set program and issuing no year book. The general study, independent of fixed outline, is determined by world events of interest that call forth research along historical lines. A few general topics are chosen at the beginning of a season and current events relied upon to furnish live ideas for study and discussion. The Clionian is foremost among the study clubs of the tri-cities by its earnest, intelligent study of vital topics of the hour.
THE PARLIAMENTARY CLUB
The origin of the Parliamentary Law club of Davenport dates back eight years when an impetus was given students of the subject by Madame Urquhart Lee, lately of Leland Stanford university of California, who came here to deliver a series of lectures on the topic before a circle of local club women. It was not, however, until three years later that a group of the women interested formed a morning club and resolved to meet fortnightly to continue their studies in that line. Earnestly and thoroughly has the study been pursued until its members today are considered splendid parliamentarians. The meetings have been resumed with vigor and practical work in parliamentary science is done at each session.
THE LEND-A-HAND CLUB
The Lend-a-Hand club of Davenport, organized by the King's Daughters in 1887, incorporated in 1888, has done excellent service in behalf of the working girls and women of the city during these eighteen years. Its purpose is to be helpful in whatever direction girls need friendly counsel and protection. It provides social recreation and instruction privately or in classes and by an annual course of lectures. It encourages among girls a high standard of service and character and helps its members to attain skill and ability in whatever line of work they may be engaged. It stimulates an interest in every kind of woman's work and spirit of mutual helpfulness among all women workers. It has no class distinctions, no religious test of membership, all meet on common ground for the common good. The club occupies the entire second and third floors of the brick block at 323 West Second street, where the Noon Rest serves dinner from 11:30 a. m. to 2:00 p. m. The business affairs of the club are under the management of a board of directors, in which the seven circles of the King's Daughters in the city are represented by their leaders. A loan fund, without interest, guards members against financial difficulties and an educational fund helps girls struggling for an education. Ten nationalities, twenty churches, Catholic and Protestant, and twenty-five occupations are represented in the membership.
THE TUESDAY CLUB
The Tuesday club is one of the leading and influential women's clubs of the three cities. Its organization dates from 1892 when thirty of Davenport's prominent women, realizing the value of a purely study club, became its founders. In its quest for knowledge the organization has come to base its researches along systematic lines. From topics of minor importance it has gradually broadened its work to that of higher thought, sociological questions and even municipal problems. Several years have been spent in the sutdy of "Arts and Crafts," but later the Tuesday club took up a new departure, that of "The Economic Energies of Our Government." This includes a study of the scope of the national departments of agriculture and that of commerce and labor, model tenement houses, the Panama canal, corporation ownership vs. government control of railways, river and harbor commission, our colonies, department of the interior with the educational bureau and of the work of the commission of Indian affairs.
DAVENPORT KINDERGARTEN ASSOCIATION
This is the sixth year of the existence of the study department of the Davenport Kindergarten association and all interested are always welcome at the fortnightly meetings held at the homes of the members. The work of this club has been to keep in touch with the progressive thought along educational lines as they effect the home, the school and the industrial world; to strive for the understanding of the kindergarten principles in their application and the discussion of practical problems concerning the growth of the child mentally, morally and physically.
WEST END MOTHERS' CLUB
The organization of the West End Mothers' club dates from 1902 and its years though few have been broadening and full of helpful work for its members. It was formed by a few earnest women for the purpose of promoting a study of domestic life and the problems of the home and child life among the mothers of that part of the city. At first papers and talks were given by the members informally at each meeting, but in 1905 the work became more systematic with a lecture at every session by some person of prominence in a particular line of study, such as "The Library and the Home" by the city librarian, Miss Seybold; "The Visiting Nurse," by the city nurse, Miss Craine, or "Child Labor" by one of the leaders of the movement in the state, Dr. Jennie McCowen. These have proven of inestimabel value and especially the discussions of the general thought of the meeting which are made informal at the close of the lecture. The membership now numbers about forty-five and the club is enthusiastic in its study. The social side of the club life is not overlooked and every meeting closes with an hour of sociability when tea is served. The sessions are held once each month and the attendance and assistance of all women interested are invited.
THE S. L. A. CLUB
The S. L. A. club is the outgrowth of an informal organization f 1894, when a circle of six ladies met every Tuesday for the purpose of reading and studying Shakespeare. The club was formally organized in 1896, since when it has flourished in a quiet unassuming manner, working always for a broader culture of its women. The S. L. A.'s have studied English literature, delved into the history of their own as well as many of the foreign countries. The social element figures delightfully in this club's work for its members are most congenial. Many novel social gatherings are held each season at which the husbands are guests (for all the S. L. A.'s are married) and the husbands always reciprocate by entertaining the club ladies, usually at banquets.
A number of bright and progressive women residing in close proximity on Arlington avenue some five years ago launched the Arlington club and an energetic and ambitious organization it has been from the beginning. To Mrs. F. Rainbow belongs the credit of being its founder, for she it was who invited a coterie of ladies of the neighborhood to meet at her home to form a study class. A reading club was thus begun. The members met at intervals, bringing their fancy work and one of their number was chosen to read aloud. A study of early American history was the first work. In September, 1901, the society was formally organized, taking up a line of regular club study. Current events at each session gave pleasant variety to historical research. A study of some of Dickens' works was taken up later and this has included "David Copperfield," "Pickwick Papers" and "Dombey and Son." This season the club has changed its usual plan and there is no general topic for the year, but each member furnishes a paper on some subject of general interest, one paper to be read and the topic discussed at each fortnightly session.
UNITED STATES HISTORY CLUB
The United States History club has already accomplished considerable in its study of the history of our country. It was organized in January of 1902 by a few earnest women intent upon a more thorough study of the early history of the United States. Beginning with the landing of the Pilgrims they have taken up the colonies and early history of the states in most interesting form. The club has broadened out and is pursuing the study of Alaska and the island possessions of our country, including the Sandwich islands, Cuba, the Philippines, together with some of the western statees. Meetings are held fornightly at the homes of the members.
DICKENS READING CIRCLE
It was some three years ago that a little circle of enthusiastic lovers of Dickens met informally for the reading and study of the works of the famous English author as a summer's diversion. The reading club was an outgrowth or branch of the S. L. A. club and included a number of its members. The circle has never been formally organized, but meets alternate Monday afternoons and after an hour's reading and discussion of the book in hand the hostess serves English tea which promotes congenial sociability among the members. It is a delightful organization and both profit and pleasure is derived from this informal study of Dickens. They began with "Little Dorrit" and have taken up "Martin Chuzzleewit," Hard Times" and "Barnaby Rudge." The study and discussion of "Dombey and Son" has been completed and later "Pickwick Papers" was taken up by the club. There is no official board as no formal organization exists.
CLUB OF EIGHTY-NINE
For sixteen years has the Club of Eighty-Nine flourished and the enthusiasm that marked its early years has only increased as time rolled on. Miss Phoebe Sudlow is founder of the organization which evolved from a reading circle of congenial women, a history class as it was styled in the beginning, into a full fledged study club that has some good meritorious work to show on its balance sheet for the years. Its members have through its medium delved into Roman and Italian history, Latin literature, one year took a trip through Mexico, last year reviewed English literature and this year are enjoying a delightful study journey entitled "A Trip to Europe." The various countries of the world and their literature have furnished them interesting topics for research and discussion. Meetings are held by-weekly at the homes of the members.
While other clubs searched literature, art, history and sociology for topics of study, twelve young society girls of Davenport decided to band themselves together for the study of the art of cooking, the preparing and serving of dainty dishes. It was in 1901 that the Cuisine club was formally organized and today all but a small number of the club members are happily married and presiding over cuisine departments of their own. The Cusine club differed from the usual domestic science organization in is mode of study. At every meeting a course dinner was served, each dish being prepared by a member of the club. On these occasions the hostess at whose home the spread took place, made out the menu and assigned each member a crrtain dish to prepare and bring. Then during the progress of the dinner there were free and unbiased criticisms of verything and the members assert that in those early days of the club none were spared. They learned, however, by mistakes and gradually became perfect in certain dishes while friends who were invited guests at the club dinners considered themselves most fortunate. In the past two seasons the members have been married off so rapidly, many removing from the city, that it was found necessary to discontinue the former method of preparing club dinners and the few remaining members still meet fortnightly but have taken up an informal study of topics of the day. This was first accomplished by the means of prepared answers to questions, but lately the members discuss current events in world history and the hostess prvides the luncheon. Occasionally they resort to the old custom of a general club dinner and these occasions are always happy ones. It was the Cuisine club girls who recently furnished entirely and in a most artistic manner the ladies' dressing room at Outing club after its recent destruction by fire.
The youngest in Davenport' galaxy of study clubs is the Chemaun club. It was organized in the spring of 1904 by a party of fifteen young ladies who decided to meet fortnightly for an evening of study. The initial plan was to take up American history and its study proved so absorbing that it was decided to continue on this line. The members began with prehistoric times in America, following the current of events through the Revolutionary period until now they have reached the interesting time of the Louisiana Purchase. The early settlement of the various colonies furnished good topics for general discussion in a series of meetings. The plan followed is that of one member preparing a paper on the topic of the evening which is read, and is then followed by a list of questions propounded by the leader of the discussion that follows. A pleasant feature of the organization is the social hour after every study session. Its name, Chemaun, is of Indian origin.
TRI-CITY KINDERGARTEN CLUB
To promote the welfare of the kindergartens, the kindergartners and directors of the various schools for little folks, both public and private, in the three cities, organized themselves into a study club in 1901. The Tri-City Kindergarten club has done excellent work along its lines and each member had found benefit from the meetings and discussions. The first year was chiefly theoretical, the work being along the line of child study. For the past two years more practical matter has been taken up including the every day experiences with the children in the schools. This season the study has grown more specific, taking the form of stories, games and songs in which the kindergarten children are instructed. Constructive work and clay modeling are among the topics to be considered during the winter when practical illustration of the work done by the children will be given. An interesting ruling of the season is that each member of the club is a committee of one obliged to assist in the program of each session. Members are requested to bring any new or unusual suggestions they may have found in their practical work with the children.
DAVENPORT MUSIC CLUBS
The music clubs of the tri-cities center in Davenport, which has always prided itself on being a musical city. However, many prominent musicians of both Rock Island and Moline are affiliated with the Davenport clubs, and sessions and recitals are often held in homes of the sister cities. The clubs given herewith comprise the large music study clubs. There are also a considerable number of teacher's music classes, organized into clubs, which had to be omitted on accoumt of lack of space. Yet many of these, though their members are of tender years, are doing as earnest and conscientious work in pursuing the study of music and harmony as are the older established clubs.
MUSIC STUDENTS CLUB
The Music Students club, the leading music club of the three cities, dates its existence from 1883, when four women, well known then in music circles, Mrs. D. C. Garrett, Mrs. Robert Smith, Miss Celestine Fejervary and Mrs. Marcus Curtius Smith met informally during one whole season for short recital programs. Formal organization was effected in the winter of 1884 and the Music Students has since then done much for the music loving people of the city by bringing artists here annually for concerts and recitals. Many talented musicians are numbered among its members whose bi-weekly recitals are always of high merit. The Music Students has thirty active members and its year book this season outlines a fine list of recitals. Its work is always of the highest order. The club is a member of the National Federation of Music Clubs.
Many years have elapsed since the Harmonie Society of Davenport was launched in the music world of the city and well and wisely has it paved the way for the many musical clubs that followed. It was in the year 1875 that the ladies' chorus, with men as asssociate members, was formally organized and the late lamented Professor Theodore Cramer assumed charge as director. The chorus did good work from the first and became the pride of the musical people of the city. After the death of Prof. Cramer the chorus was conducted by Prof. Toenniges for two years, and then Prof. Jacob Strasser was in charge. The most important public work that the chorus had done up to this time was its participation in the great northwest Saengerfest held in Davenport in 1898. The Harmonie chorus then sang several numbers accompanied by an orchestra of sixty pieces and called forth most favorable comment from critics both at home and abroad. In former years fine concerts were frequently given by the Harmonie in Turner hall with a full orchestra, when the choral work was a feature. Later there was an interim of two years when the interest in the singing waned and no meetings were held. In 1903, however, prominent musical people of the city who had realized the value of the Harmonie choral work, effected its reorganization and Miss Louise St. John Westervelt was made director. Miss Westervelt has done most effective work with the chorus for years and this season had opened most auspiciously. The chorus now numbers seventy members. The Harmonie society holds monthly recitals entirely distinct from the work of the chorus, which is a branch of the main society.
MUSIC LOVERS CLUB
Much good work has been done by the Music Lovers club of Davenport since its beginning some few years ago among a coterie of music loves of the city. This club differs in its plan of study from any other musical organization in the city in that it works under no set constitution nor by the direction of any official board. There are a number of rules governing the club, but beyond these, there is no formal organization nor any list of officers. The membership is in three divisions, viz., active, associate and student auxiliary. Twenty-two well known musicians of the three cities comprise the active membership, eleven the associate and there are fifteen in the student auxiliary, making a total of forty-eight in all. One recital is given each month during the season at the home of the leader of the club, Mrs. W. D. Middleton, Thirteenth and Ripley streets, and the programs include a study of world composers and their music in every phase. The Music Lovers study music on the broadest lines and its work is done thoroughly. One gratuitious recital is given annually to which friends or other music clubs are invited guests, but the remainder of its time is devoted to furthering the study of its own members in music and musical lore.
THE ETUDE CLUB
It was in the autumn of 1896 on the return of Miss Selma Bruning from her musical studies in Boston, that a circle of her friends met with her informally once each week for the purpose of a mutual study of music. These meetings, held every Thursday afternoon, continued for some months until in January, 1897, organization was perfected and the Etude club was launched. There were fourteen charter members for , at the initial session each young lady had been asked to bring a friend. The first year the "Music of Nations" was taken up, at each meeting the music of another people being played and illustrated. The Etude club has flourished well since its organization and today has a membership of thirty-five. Its musical study has been on the broadest of lines and has included a year of grand opera when both music and singers of prominence in the grand opera world were discussed. "Form in Music" was the interesting topic that occupied one whole season. Last year the study was divided between Russian and American composers. This year the program committee has arranged a miscellaneous course, various composers of note being taken up at each meeting. A leader is appointed for each session who is responsible for the recital program. Meetings are held on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month at the homes of the members.
CHAMINADE MUSIC CLUB
Excellent work has been done in a quiet, unassuming manner by the Chaminade Music club, which is one of the most earnest and studious organizations of its kind in the city. The Chaminade dates its beginning from 1899 when Mrs. Rudolph Toll and Miss Cora Hetzel assembled a circle of music students and formally organized this club for mutual study and benefit. For the first few years the recital programs, which are given monthly, were of a miscellaneous character but later a more definite course of study was begun. Today the club is taking up systematically the music of nations of the world. At one meeting there will be a program of music by German composers, again it is that of the French, and then again the Russian music. Thus its members become familiar with the best in music of composers of all the world. These monthly recitals, which are held in the evening, always close with a social hour during which the hostess serves luncheon. This gives a delightful air of informality to the club's work. Two miscellaneous meetings are held each year at which the members are privileged to bring a limited number of guests and these are always the occasion for most artistic recitals.
THE AMATEUR MUSICAL CLUB
The Amateur Musical club of Davenport is a small organization just entering upon its third year. The club's work has been along musical lines, having studied the music of the principal American cities, their composers, best known performers, music halls, clubs, societies and musical atmosphere generally. The first meeting was devoted to the recent musical celebration at Oberammergau, witnessed by Mrs. N. S. Stephens, one of the members who sent to the club books of the play and pictures, the full music score and an account of her personal impression of the performance of this "David and Christus."