TOWNSHIPS AND TOWNS.
HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIPS FROM THE CLOSE OF THE BARROWS HISTORY - THEIR RECORD IN PATRIOTISM DURING THE DAYS OF '61 - THE PROSPERITY THAT HAS COME TO THE FARMERS OF THE COUNTY - RURAL SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES - TOWNSHIP OFFICIALS - THE MANY SMALL SETTLEMENTS THAT FORM SOCIAL CENTERS IN THE COUNTY - BETTENDORF - THE VILLAGE OF LE CLAIRE.
(Pictures included with this chapter are: A Typical Farm Scene In Scott County - Presbyterian Church, Princeton Mainstreet, Princeton - St. Anne's Catholic Church Long Grove - Big Rock Public School - Turner Hall Eldridge - Residence of Capt. W. L. Clark, Buffalo - New Liberty School - New Liberty - Buffalo Town Hall - Main Street Buffalo - Catholic Church Buffalo)
LE CLAIRE TOWNSHIP.
The history of this township is brought down to 1863 by Mr. Barrows, but some things he omits, that became of importance later on, are here included in bringing this sketch of LeClaire township up-to-date.
The stone found at LeClaire is of a fine quality and is now quarried by Bremer & Abel, a Davenport firm. The quarry is located on land north of the town settled by Eli Smith, one of the pioneers of Scott county. LeClaire township was the birthplace of the noted Indian scout and showman, William F. Cody, better known all over the world as "Buffalo Bill." His father came to Scott county in 1839, from Cincinnati, Ohio, and entered a tract of land in LeClaire township upon which he made improvements and also opened a small general store in Parkhurst. Early in 1841 he returned to Cincinnati and brought back with him his wife and little girl, in the spring of 1842. On his way he met Dennis Barnes, at St. Louis, and persuaded Mr. Barnes to accompany him to Iowa, which he did, and upon arriving in LeClaire township he entered a tract of land near Mr. Cody's and at once made improvements thereon and began farming. A near neighbor to the Barnes and Codys was Eleazer Parkhurst, the first to open a farm here, which is now in the possession of Julius Woler, and it was on February 26, 1845, on the Cody farm, that the future famous "Buffalo Bill" was born. Later the elder Cody and his friend Barnes joined the stampede for the gold fields of California and, forming a partnership for better or worse, disposed of their property and in the spring of 1850, with their families, made ready to start overland for the new Eldorado. Stories of Indians massacres and depredations upon caravans moving across the prairies cooled the ardor of their desire to reach the gold fields, so that having dispossessed themselves of their lands and farming implements, by force of circumstances they retired to the villages, Barnes to LeClaire and Cody to Parkhurst. Finally, in 1852, Mr. Cody took his family to the territory of Kansas, where the boy, William, grew up and acquired a great fondness for horses, over which he had a wonderful control, and at the age of ten years became a "pony express" rider, carrying mail and despatches over the plains and gaining that knowledge of the Indians and skill with a rifle that made his fame worldwide and in later years made him much sought after by the United States government to act as guide, and also by the nobility of foreign lands visiting America and venturesome enough to trust their lives in the then "wild and woolly west."
In the old steamboat days LeClaire was the headquarters for a large number of river men and furnished many pilots and engineers for the numberous craft then plying the waters of the Mississippi. But of course, with the advent of the railroad, transportation by water had dwindled away, but there are a few of these river men still in the business who made their homes at LeClaire: Captain I. S. Spinsby, of the U. S. Mac; Captain E. J. Lancaster, of the Eclipse; Captain George Tromley; J. W. VanSant. Also Pilots Orrin Smith, Zach Suite and D. F. Dorrance.
The schools of LeClaire always had first place in the hearts and thoughts of her people and have always been kept at a high standard of proficiency. Such men as Judges Barnes and Linderman, were pupils at these schools and many others made places for themselves of distinction at the bar, who received their early educational training in LeClaire. Among them may here be mentioned W. D. Kalsey, now of Colorado; G. M. Boyd, Chicago; A. P. VanDuzer, California; Henry McCaffrey; the Hanley boys, and others.
When the Civil war broke out in 1861 LeClaire was quick to come to "attention" and respond to "Honest Abe's" proclamation for volunteers to put down the rebellion, and sent a number of her best young men to the front and, in 1862, Captain S. B. Byram organized what later became Company K of the Twentieth Iowa Infantry, which made a splendid record, details of which appear on another page of this history. But a short time after the organization of Company K other recruits from LeClaire were assigned to Company A, Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, and still others joined the Second Iowa Cavalry, all of whom are given honorable mention in the chapter herein devoted to Scott county in the Civil war.
A very interesting chapter on the first settlement of Princeton township was written by Mr. Barrows in his history of Scott county herein published to which the reader is referred. But quite a number of the earliest settlers not mentioned by him are given a place here. Settlement in the township was at first quite slow, but even at that the Methodist circuit rider thought fit to visit the community and hold religious services. It was not long before there were three denominations represented, the Presbyterian, the Methodist Episcopal and the Evangelical Lutheran. All of these erected church buildings. In 1853 Jerry Goodrich, James Todd and Porter McKinstry, members of the Methodist church, with friends and neighbors, built a brick church edifice near Lost Grove. Services were held there about three years, when the members afterwards attended meeting at Princeton, on account of the death of several of the prinicpal members of the congregation. In February, 1856, Rev. Daniel Garber of the Evangelical Lutheran church organized a church of that faith in this township. A meeting was held in May following at which Isaac Daughenbaugh was elected elder, Samuel Gast, deacon. Meetings were then held in the vacated Methodist church and continued there until 1859, when the congregation erected a building of their own in Princeton, which was turned over to the Methodists in exchange for the Methodist church at Lost Grove. Meetings have been held there from that time up to the present. The first school was taught here in 1846-1847 by Miss Hannah Peaslee in a log house owned by H. H. Pinneo, in what is now known as Princeton independent district. Miss Peaslee's successors were Mrs. Charles Budd and Milcah Goodrich. Sometime afterwards an old barn was purchased by Giles M. Pinneo and Wilbur Warren, who remodeled the building and which was for a period used for both school and church purposes. A brick school building was built in 1852 and Mathias E. Pinneo was the first teacher. This was the schoolhouse of Princeton until 1864, when it was consolidated with other schools which occupied the ground floor of a hall on Front street. Then, in 1862, district No. 1 was changed into an independent district and in 1866 a large and substantial stone school building was erected on Third and Clay streets at the cost of about $5,000. The city of Princeton was incorporated in January, 1857, and in March, following, the first election was held, at which Samuel Porter became the first mayor, but resigned from the office in May, following. To fill this vacancy a special election was held and William Shew was chosen mayor. The town contained at this time about 250 inhabitants, two hotels, one church, two stores, a blacksmith shop, a steam saw mill, and about fifty dwellings. In 1858 William H. Tompson was elected mayor and at that time there were about 500 inhabitants. Improvements kept up steadily in the town and it became a place of considerable importance. A steam saw mill was built by Isaac Sherman, of Cleveland, Ohio, costing $8,000, and whose output equalled 30,000 feet per day. Two steam grist mills were also built, one by Herbert M. Fishback, which cost about $9,000, and the other by McKinstry and Hubbard, which cost $12,000. About this time Dr. G. L. Bell erected a very pretentious residence for that day at a cost of $5,000. In 1862 a disastrous fire visited the little city of Princeton and destroyed a valuable three-story business and office building which had been erected by F. G. Welsh and also the business house owned by Christian Schmaltz. At this time the Princeton house barely escaped destruction.
The citizens of Princeton take a pride in the honor which her sons reflected upon the town through their services in the Civil war. Its bright roll of honor is to be found in the chapter on the Civil war in this history. The First Methodist church of Princeton was built in 1858. This church takes pride in the history of its Sunday school which began at the time of its organization in 1849 by Father Pinneo and others. In 1887 the Methodist society erected a church edifice at a cost of $2,500 and is at this day in a very prosperous condition. On the site of the old church building the Presbyterians erected a new church structure in 1888 which cost about $3,000. In 1898 the Salem Evangelical Lutheran church put up a neat structure while under the pastorate of Rev. Kunkleman. Adjoing the church building is the parsonage.
In addition to what has already been written of Winfield township by Mr. Barrows, the following is appended: John Quinn, who was the first permament settler in this townshp, struck out further west from his home in Meigs coutny, Ohio, when a young man, and landed in Chicago, then nothing but a frontier village. Here he worked at his trade of blacksmithing for one year. He had located a claim in the windy city, but by some chicanery he was dispossessed of it and losing all faith in the people there, he left and went to Galena, arriving there in 1832. Being joined by his brother William in 1835 he went to Clinton county, and after remaining there awhile he and his brother finally settled in Winfield township, where they improved a farm which afterwards came into the possessiori of John T. Mason, who lived on it for over forty years. It is said that had Mr. Quinn remained in Winfield township he would have become wealthy, for at one time he owned large bodies of timber land on the Wapsipinicon bottoms, which brought him good prices at their sale, but being of a wandering disposition he left the locality and returned to Ohio. Not being contented there he once more found his way back to Iowa, from whence he went to Kansas, and then to Oregon, where he died at the age of seventy years.
Leonard Cooper, one of the first settlers, left a large family of eight sons and two daughters, none of whom are now living in Winfield township. One son lives in Davenport, one in Dubuque, A. A. Cooper, whose celebrated wagons find a market in a number of states. Charles Elder, a pioneer of this township, left two sons and one daughter, of whom the daughter and one son are dead; Joseph Elder, the other son, is a resident of Long Grove. At the time of the settlement in Winfield township of the four Quinn brothers, the township was nine miles square and included parts of Lincoln, Sheridan and Butler townships. It was on the creek north of Walnut Grove that George Daly, mentioned by Mr. Barrows, built a grist mill, which was also arranged to saw logs. Burrs in those days were expensive and difficult to obtain. In his perplexity Mr. Daly, the "honest miller," as he was called, went to Alexander Brownlie who assisted him in making a set of millstones out of a large bowlder found on the prairie. It is said that much of this grist was gournd on those bowlder millstones, and that the only reason that the mill did not perform its work more steadily and regularly was because of the lack of water at times. H. M. Thompson married the youngest daughter of Mrs. Robertson, a widow of seventy years of age, who had come from Scotland and settled in this township in 1844. Mr. Thompson became quite prominent in the affairs of Scott county. He was selected as the first president of the Scott County Agricultural Society and remained in that office for seven years, when he resigned. He was also for a number of years superintendent of Agricultural college farm at Ames and was also a representative from this county in the general assembly of Iowa. He died in 1887 at the age of seventy-six years. At his death his wife was living at the age of ninety-two years. The Brownlies are still prominent and quite numerous in Winfield township. Of the second generation there are three members still residents of Long Grove, A. W. Brownlie, son of James Brownlie, who was a little over a year old when his parents settled in the township; he is doing business with his brother, R. K. Brownlie. A. D. Brownlie, only son of Alexander Brownlie, is living on the original homestead where his father settled when he came to the state of Iowa.
Lincoln township when first settled was an expanse of prairie covered with tall luxuriant grass, where deer and other animals abounded. This township was organized in 1866 and embraces congressional township No. 79, range 4 east, and is lacking one tier of sections on the east side of being a full township. The first trustees divided the township into seven road districts, but in 1903 these districts were merged into one, and since that time the roads have been worked on the township plan. The first township officers were: A. J. Green, J. H. Mohr, and James Henry, trustees; Richard Proudfoot, clerk. A very attractive place of those days was an elevation of ground called Saddle Mound which is now owned by William Moeller. On the Guinan place is another interesting spot, Goose Pond. Robert Criswell was the first settler of this township. He was a Pennsylvanian and located at Long Grove in 1844. After three years' residence there he settled on section 23, which he improved and upon which he built a home. Mr. Criswell lived on this place and prospered until 1867, when he retired to Princeton and died there at the age of eighty-one. William H. Jones left New York in 1844 and settled in LeClaire and ran the first threshing machine in that neighborhood, and in 1848 he broke up the sod for Mr. Criswell on part of his section. Mr. Jones married the widow Chuck, who was in her maidenhood Mary Van Duzer. She came from Scott county in 1835. Mr. Jones died in 1893 and his widow followed him in 1905, after a residence in Davenport. Charles and Henry Lau are the sons of Peter N. Lau, who came to Lincoln township in 1853. They are still residents of this township. One of the most prominent citizens of the county was M. J. Rohlfs, who came to Lincoln township in 1848, after a residence in Davenport of one year. Mr. Rohlfs served his county in the Iowa legislature four terms and for twelve years served Scott county as its treasurer, and was succeeded by his son Rudolph in that office, who proved a worthy successor to his father. The first schoolhouse in Lincoln township was built on section No. 23 and became known as the Jones schoolhouse. The first school was presided over by J. O. Jamison. After the township was organized it was divided into eight sub-districts upon which are now erected good substantial modern schoolhouses, where the children are given the advantages of nine months' instruction during the year. This township has never had but one church. It was organized July 6, 1858, by Rev. J. D. Mason, with twenty-eight members. It is known as Summit Presbyterian church.
PLEASANT VALLEY TOWNSHIP.
Pleasant Valley township lies east of Davenport, bordering on the Mississippi. It is bounded on the north by Lincoln and LeClaire townships and on the east by a portion of the lower sections of LeClaire township. It is well watered and timbered, especially in the northeast and southwest portions. Duck creek, quite a large stream, empties into the Mississippi river at the southwest part of the township. This township was early settled and Mr. Barrows goes into all the details relating thereto. The soil is fertile, the farms have been well improved, it has good roads and bridges, telephone lines, rural mail delivery and other conveniences to meet the requirements of the modern farmer. This is not a whole township, the Mississippi cutting through it at a point beginning at the east half of the second section from the north and running diagonally southwest. It has three sub-districts in which there are well appointed school houses. The value of the land in this township, as in other sections of the county, has increased in value until at this time land that sold from $6 to $15 an acre in 1865 will now readily bring from $100 to $125 per acre.
This township was organized in 1857. Its name was suggested by E. P. Putnam, who declared that it signified fair or beautiful country. Cleona township is in the second tier of townships from the north and is the first on the east. It is bounded on the north by Liberty township and on the west by Hickory Grove. Its western boundary is Cedar county and southern, Muscatine county. It was one of the last townships organized. It is exclusively agricultural and there is practically no waste land within its borders. The first settlement made here was in April, 1851. Jacob Royal made the first entry in the township September 15, 1851, on the southeast quarter of section 25. Robert Johnson and James Paul entered land on section 23 in 1852. Mr. Paul also entered land on section 23. Ebenezer Cook made entry on section 34 early in 1856. In 1852 the only house in the township was on section 12, built by the Suiter brothers, John and Joseph. In the spring of the following year the Suiter boys helped Robert Johnson build a house on section 23. Thomas Johnson, Robert's father, settled in the township in the spring of 1853, and in the fall of the same year William Paul and his family settled in the township and lived in a house built by his brother James until 1858. E. P. Putnam was a native of Ohio and settled on section 19 in 1854. The same year came Jacob and George Wetherhold from Germany. They were the first Germans to settle in the township. Ephraim Ellis, an Englishman, was also a settler of the township in 1854. Franklin Ball, Samuel Leamer, John and Conrad LeGrange, William M. Murray, Henry Egbert, C. M. Stevens, wife and son Morgan, and Gothardt Moeller, from Germany, all settled here in the year 1856. Samuel Leamer broke a piece of prairie on his claim and returned to Pennsylvania. He came back in 1857 with his brother Washington and both made a permanent settlement. The first birth in the township was that of John Suiter in 1852. He was a son of John Suiter, the first settler in Cleona township. The first marriage to take place in the township was that of John Jamison, of LeClaire, and Annie Johnson. In 1857 a school building was erected on section 28, but later removed to section 31. Franklin Ball, James Paul, Washington and Samuel Leamer, Ephraim Ellis, E. P. Putanm and Robert Johnson were the men instrumental in founding this first educational institution of Cleona township. Harriet Callem received $16 a month for her services as the first teacher of this school. The township has good schools in seven sub-distructs. Of the early settlers the Suiters came from England; the Johnsons and Pauls from Ireland; Henry Peterson, who came to the township in 1866, and Joh Rymers, were natives of Holstein, Germany; William Rains of Waldeck, Prussia, settled on section 4 in 1868, and today the township has a large number of German citizens who are the best of farmers and prosperous in their undertakings.
Butler township was organized in 1865 and was first named Ben Butler in honor of the gentleman of that name who became famous in the Civil war and later as a statesman. Later the board of supervisors abbreviated the name by dropping the prefix Ben. Butler is in the north tier of townships bordering on Clinton county. The northern sections of the township are irregular and cut into by the Wapsipinicon river. In the northern portion of the township is considerable timber, especially in the northwest part, and the west central section of the township has considerable timber in the locality of Walnut Grove. The western boundary of Butler township is Winfield, the southern Lincoln and the eastern Princeton townships. The first election for town officers took place October 8, 1865, and the first entry of land was made in 1836 by Henry Harvey Pease and John G. Grafford, jointly. This entry consisted of 500 acres in wheat was known as Walnut Grove on section 19. Alphonso Warren had previously indicated his ownership of this claim by having "blazed" trees thereon. He relinquished his interests to Pease and Grafford for the sum of $100. Pease, the pioneer of Butler township, built the first cabin and Alphonso Warren built the second on section 20 in the fall of 1838, as he had preceded both Pease and Grafford as settlers in the county. Mr. Warren had come to the township from New York and operated a grindstone quarry in the township for several years before he removed to Kansas. George Daly, a native of Ohio, had spent some time in Moline, Illinois, and in 1839 erected a flour mill on section 17, near a stream of water known at that time as Daly's creek. Daly afterward settled in Jackson county, then removed to Plymouth county, where he died. Clinton W. Pease, son of H. H. Pease, was the first white child born in the township. His birth occurred September 1, 1839. George Daly and Rebecca Arble were the first couple married in the township. The wedding took place in 1839. Miss Alice Alvord in 1846 taught the first school in the township in an old log house at Walnut Grove. James and Alexander Brownlie, Presbyterian divines, held the first religious services in this section of the county at the residence of H. H. Pease in 1838. Ciruit rider Brace, a Methodist minister, would often stop at the Pease home and hold services. The first schoolhouse was a log structure and was erected on section 18 in 1850. In 1861 the Mount Joy Methodist Episcopal church was built on section 30 and had for its first pastor Rev. S. H. Harmer. Mount Union church was built in 1868 by members of the Presbyterian organization on section 35, and Rev. McBride was its first pastor. About 1851 Claus Boltz settled on section 15. Charles Bennet settled on section 35 in 1850. George Washington Martin and Lafayette Martin were located in this township long before it was separated from Winfield township. They came here in 1843. John C. McCausland located on section 23 in 1855; William Mooney, in 1852; Henry F. Schlotfeldt, in 1853; Claus Mundt in 1855; George Baughman settled in Winfield township in 1847 and removed to Bulter township in 1855; and in 1859 J. Helble, a native of Germany, settled on section 26. Butler township has nine school districts and three churches.
Sheridan township was organized in 1866 and is the central township of the county. It is bounded on the north by Winfield, on the south by Davenport, on the west by Hickory Grove and on the east by Lincoln townships. Much of the early history of this township has been told in the story of the first settlments in the county by Mr. Barrows. It was originally named Phil Sheridan township, after the noted cavalry officer of the Civil war, but later Phil was dropped. The township was formed by subtracting eighteen sections from Winfield and eighteen sections from Davenport. The first election was held on a certain Tuesday of October, 1866, the polling place being at Claus H. Kuhl's tavern. At this election H. H. Fry was chosen as supervisor; Christ Vogt, James Quinn and Gilbert Wicks, trustees; Anderson Martin, assessor; B. F. Berkley, clerk; William Saddoris and Asmus H. Lamp, justices of the peace; Peter Weis and James Morrison, constables. Samuel Sloper settled on section 28, in the territory now comprising Sheridan township, in 1840, and in 1841 Lyman Osborn took up a claim on section 29. Among others who followed these hardy pioneers may be mentioned; ex-Governor Rusch; Hans Schneckloth; Claus Hageddorn; Joseph Seaman; William Rigg; Dr. A. J. Emeis; Benjamin Barr; Captain LeMarinel; C. Myer; John and Nathan Greer; Moses Barber; James and Joseph Quinn; Christ Vogt; Peter Blunk; Hans and Juergen Schmidt. Dr. A. J. Emeis was the first physician to take up his residence in the township, and Henry Kuntzen was the first to open a blacksmith shop. He erected his building on section 25. Mr. Sloper was the first to turn up the prairie for cultivation. There are nine sub-districts in Sheridan township, each of which has a good school building where the children are taught from eight to nine months in the year. Eldridge also has an independent school.
There is but one village in Sheridan township - Eldridge Junction, established in 1871 by J. M. Eldridge. It is situated in the eastern part of the township, on section 11, at the junction of the Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad and the Maquoketa branch. Soon after the advent of the railroad shops were located here by the company, giving employment to a large number of workmen. This gave an impetus to the young village and for a time the prospects were good for a large and thriving settlement; but the railroad magnates saw fit, some years since, to remove the shops, which was a death blow to the embryo "city of Eldridge." Many of its business places, hotels, etc., were soon after closed and a number of buildings have since been torn down and removed from the place. The first school election in the township was held in 1867, when the following board was chosen: Alexander Murrison, James Calderwood, Albert Brugman, Henry Fellner, A. J. Emeis, William Rogers. A church edifice was erected by the Presbyterian society of Eldridge Junction about the year 1874. James Mason was the first pastor. Eldridge Lodge, No. 132, A. O. U. W., was organized in 1877, with John Rogers P. M. W.; E. T. Morgan, M. W.; J. W. Davidson, G. F.; J. D. McCormick, O.; J. A. Pollock, recorder; James Youmans, financier; G. A. Hastings, receiver; P. Herbold, G.; J. G. Quinn, I. W.; L. Cohman, O. W. For a full description of Eldridge see another page.
HICKORY GROVE TOWNSHIP
Hickory Grove is one of the oldest townships of Scott ocunty and was first settled in 1836, Alfred Carter making the first claim on the northwest quarter of section 16. He was a native of Shenandoah valley, Virginia, and came here from Indiana. This township is bounded on the north by Allen's Grove and on the south by Blue Grass, on the west by Cleona and on the east by Sheridan townships. It is mostly prairie, which is well watered, and takes its name from a tract of timber in the central portion of the township known as Hickory Grove. At the time Alfred Carter came to this section of the country wild animals roamed the prairies and hills. The wolves and wildcats were very troublesome, committing depredations on the settlers' live stock. Hickory Grove was at that time a great rendezvous for deer. One night while Mr. Carter was absent in Henderson county, Illinois, where he had journeyed in quest of provisions for himself and neighbors, ten Indians came suddenly upon the house and asked for a night's lodging.
Fearing to refuse them Mrs. Carter granted their request. Mr. Carter and his sons, Charles P., John and Martin, often joined the Indians in hunting deer. Eearly in its history there were three tracts of timber which were known as Hickory Grove, Pilot Grove and Linn Grove; the two latter have practically disappeared. In 1837 Philip Baker of Muskingum county, Ohio, took up a claim on section 9, and at about the same time came Jonathan Porter from Muskingum county, Ohio, also Daniel and John Porter. John Spicer had preceded them from Muskingum county in the fall of 1836, settling on section 9. William and Daniel Porter also came in 1836. Muskingum county, Ohio, furnished George Schuck, who settled in the township on section 10 in 1838, and died there in 1848. John Schuck also came in 1838 and built a hewn log house on section 15. He removed to Nebraska in 1859. Samuel Freeman, whose native place was New London, Connecticut, arrived in Davenport on December 3, 1839, and a short time thereafter entered a tract of land near Kirtle's ferry on the Wapsipinicon, but lost his claim by being too slow in filing on it. Eventually after many vicissitudes he was able to gather enough money to purchase a farm near Slopertown. This was sold in a few years for another farm near Hickory Grove, where he remained until the day of his death. The first school was held in the winter of 1837-8 at the home of Alfred Carter, George F. Emery, a highly educated man and a native of Boston, having been employed by Mr. Carter to teach his children. The first birth in the township occurred November 10, 1838, and was that of William H. Baker, son of Philip and Catherine Baker. The first death was that of Alfred Carter in 1839. The first marriage took place at the home of Philip Baker in 1842, the contracting parties being Alexander Wells and Julia Carter. The ceremony was performed by Squire Grace at Walnut Grove. Hickory Grove township takes pride in the fact that the great apostle of Methodism, Rev. Peter Cartwright thundered his philippics against sin and unrighteousness in homes of the settlers here who threw them open to him for religious services. It is especially remembered that he preached a sermon at the home of Alfred Carter in 1838. In November, 1851, Elder Jonas Hartzell, later of Davenport, organized the Linn Grove Christian church. It was then known as the Allen's Grove Church of Christ and was removed to Linn Grove in 1858 and its name changed. Both in Allen's Grove and Linn Grove the congregation held services in the school houses, but a modest frame house was built in 1866, where services were afterwards held. This township today has eight sub-school districts where school is taught during summer and winter from eight to nine months in the year.
In Barrows' history will be found concisely told a narrative of the first settling of Blue Grass township, which is a full township of thirty-six square miles, and has for its northern boundary Hickory Grove township; on the west bounded by Muscatine county, on the south by Buffalo township, and on the east by Davenport and Rockingham townships. It has but little timber and is watered by few streams. Lines of the Rock Island road cross this township, one at the north and one at the south, the southern branch entering the village of Blue Grass and the main line the village of Walcott. There are seven sub-districts in this township which are well patronized by the children during a greater part of the year, and Walcott and Blue Grass, both thriving villages, each have excellently conducted graded schools. A description of the towns is given elsewhere.
ALLEN'S GROVE TOWNSHIP.
Allens Grove township originally comprised the present township limits and that of Liberty. It is bounded on the east by Winfield township, on the west by Liberty, the south by Hickory Grove and on the north by the Wapsipinicon river. The name of the township was derived from a Mr. Allen, who settled in the township in 1836. F. E. Rothstein, who settled on section 28 in 1859, built a steam saw and gristmill in 1860 and removed it to the Wapsipinicon river in 1865. He remained at Allens Grove until 1867, when he removed to Clinton county after selling his stock to Martin O'Neil. Mr. O'Neil remained in business until 1872, when W. B. Stevens became his successor. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad cuts across the township diagonally, entering at the southeast corner and leaving it at Dixon, in the northwest corner. A branch of the Rock Island railroad crosses the township from west to east, entering at New Dixon. Truly remarkable has been the development of Allens Grove township during the past half century, and the years which have come and gone since its history was published by Dr. Barrows in 1863, have witnessed continuous and substantial progress in various lines. Whereas in the early days the mail was brought from Davenport by different ones of the neighborhood, perhaps twice a week or whenever any one happened to go to that city, the township now enjoys the advantage of a rural daily mail delivery, and is closely connected with other sections of the county by the telephone system, while the time is doubtless not far distant when Allens Grove will enjoy the added advantage of communication with other points by means of the electric trolley line. The old time subscription schools, held in log cabins, have long since ceased to exist, while modern buildings and methods have been instituted in their place, and today the township can boast of having six of the finest school buildings in the rural districts, each equipped with the latest conveniences, while one of them represents an expenditure of $1,880.
According to Mr. Barrows, settlement in Liberty township first began in 1837. Those who came to this section of the county were men and women who were determined to make an abiding place for themselves and children. One of these not mentioned was Josiah Figley, who came to Davenport from Columbiana county, Ohio, and stopped at the Davis House, a small story and a half structure on Harrison street. This was in February, 1850. Later he went to Allens Grove where he drove a team and also carried the mail to and from Davenport. At that time a Mr. Eldridge was postmaster. The country at that time was teeming with fur-bearing animals of the smaller kind and deer were plentiful. The settlers were forced to put up with the most primitive arrangement for a habitation and furniture. This Mr. Figley in 1852 married Eleanor Heller, who was born in Scott county. It was but a few years until the farmers of this township began to prosper and on a farm owned by Mrs. Figley's father Dr. Dixon laid out the town of Dixon. It was in the '50s that the farmers of this township were very much annoyed by the depredation of horse and cattle thieves. Two of them were eventually captured and tried by a jury selected by a band of the settlers who had formed an organization for the punishment of suchlike evil-doers. George Rule, Sr., settled on Rock creek and erected a grist mill which was an improvement greatly appreciated by the settlers for many miles around. Roads were laid out, bridges built and the bountiful harvests of grain were marketed at Davenport. Today the town of Dixon is one of the most important in the county and is described elsewhere in this history. Horace Woods with his family located on section 11 early in 1837, and following closely on his heels, in July of the same year, came Jacob Heller and family, above referred to, who settled on section 12, now the town site of Dixon. About the same time came John Heller and family, and with him were Mark C. Jacobs and John Grace, who were employed by Jacob Heller. Mrs. Figley is given the distinction of being the first white female born in Scott county. The first cabin built in the township was by Jacob Heller in 1837, and the first prairie land broken in the township was for Jacob Heller, the work being done by John Grace and Mark C. Jacobs. The land was sowed to winter wheat. John Heller settled on section 14 and M. C. Jacobs took up a claim on section 24. The first school house was a log cabin built in 1842 and slabs cut from logs were fashioned into benches for the pupils. Today the township has seven school houses in as many districts and two independent districts, one in New Liberty and the other in Dixon. The school in Dixon is a graded one with two teachers. There are also three churches in the township, two at Big Rock and one at Dixon. The soil in Libetty township is of the best and more or less rolling. Two beautiful groves of timber, Big and Little Walnut groves, add very much to the beauty of the landscape, and cutting through these groves is Walnut creek, a beautiful little stream, fed by living springs of water. There is also in the township an abundance of good gravel and limestone.
It would take no Rip Van Winkle awakening from a twenty years' nap to rub his eyes when he visits Gilberttown and describes Bettendorf. A very few years of stay would do it. The steady people of Gilbert raised onions and cultivated pretty flower beds, kept early hours and good habits and were content with quiet life in the eastern suburbs of Davenport, when all of a sudden they awoke in a whirl of industry, with chimneys that smoke and wheels that hum, mammoth hydraulic presses that make steel cars and shears that chew up boiler plate. The necromancer, W. P. Bettendorf and his associates have worked the transformation. The town changed in name as well as nature and has become the second in the county. An army of men are employed in axle works and car works, gas machine factory, automobile works, stone crushers and other industries. Bettendorf has a mayor and council, is improving the streets and arranging for a municipal septic tank. The trains of the C. B. & Q., the C. M. & St. P. and the I. & I. interurban stop for freight and passengers. The street cars of the Davenport system provide speedy and cheap transit. Suburban homes are becoming plentiful on the bluffs at Bettendorf. Everything points to a great growth in this city of industry. Davenport is already looking with covetous eyes and hopes to make this growing suburb the seveth ward of the city at no distant date.
The principal town in Buffalo township is Buffalo. It is about ten miles below Davenport on the Mississippi river and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad, whose track is also used by the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railway. This gives the town two means of transportation by railroad. It now has about 400 inhabitants. In 1900 one of the finest public school buildings in the county outside of Davenport was built at a cost of $5,000. It has Methodist, Catholic and Lutheran churches. Quite a number of coal mines are in operation within two miles of the village, and with quite a sprinkling of timber land near at hand fuel is plentiful and comparatively low in price. One of the largest brick manufactories in the county is maintained here, which turns out superior quality of work and gives employment to about forty men. There are four pearl button factories in operation at Buffalo; three general stores; a bank; a drug store; bakery; meat market; lumber yard; farm implement concern; a very good hotel; livery stable; blacksmith shop; two physicians; and three or four saloons.
The leading town in Liberty township is New Liberty. It is situated on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad. It has a population of about 150. It has one bank; one opera house; three saloons; two general stores; and implement concern; lumber yard; physician; blacksmith and harness maker; two elevators; stock years; and livery stable.
Big Rock is in the northern part of Liberty township and on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad. This place is noted as the home of Farmer Burns, the ex-champion catch-as-catch-can wrestler of the world. There are in Big Rock a lumber yard; elevator; drug store; general store; meat market; confectionery store; blacksmith; wagon maker; hotel; opera house.
Dixon is the leading town in Allens Grove township and is on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, twenty-two miles northwest of Davenport. In 1905 the population was 325. It has a good school employing two teachers. Opposite the schoolhouse is the Christian church. The town has one bank; two hotels; saloons; a drug store; two blacksmith shops; stock yards; meat market; implement concern; two general stores; two physicians; an elevator; and a livery stable.
New Dixon, also in Allens Grove township, is situated on a junction of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railways, about one mile southeast of Dixon, and has a population of something like 100. The town has one general store; an elevator; lumber yard; hotel; a blacksmith shop.
McCausland is situated in the northeast corner of Butler township on the Rock Island railroad, twenty miles north of Davenport. It has three general stores; two implement concerns; two hardware stores; a bank; two blacksmith shops; one livery; one elevator; stock years; a lumber yard; two physicians; a hotel; a general machine shop.
Donahue is situated in the southeast corner of the township on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, seventeen miles northeast of Davenport. It has a hotel; a bank; a general store; a livery; an elevator; a lumber yard; a blacksmith and wagon making shop; and stock yards.
Eldridge is a town of 300 population. It is about twelve miles north of Davenport in Sheridan township, and is on the junction of the Maquoketa branch and Monticello branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad. It has a fine school building and Union church. In Eldridge are to be found one bank; implement store; stock years; lumber yard; elevator; two general stores; a meat market; two hotels; furniture store; two blacksmith shops; a physician; harness dealer; saloons; drug store; barber shop; jeweler; and livery stable.
The leading town of LeClaire township is LeClaire. It has a population of about 800. It is situated about fifteen miles north of Davenport on the Mississippi river, directly opposite Port Byron, Illinois. It has good railroad facilities on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul and the Illinois and Iowa Interurban railways; also passenger steamers on the Mississippi furnish the town with transportation and freight service. It has a graded school, employing five teachers, and is considered one of the best in the county. The Methodist, Presbyterian, Christian and Bapist churches have beautiful and large edifices. Here is the LeClaire stone quarry on the north edge of the town which employs a number of men. LeClaire has a flourishing bank; a newspaper - the LeClaire Advance; six general stores; two meat markets; a hardware store; a drug store; three physicians; an implement store; two hotels; a dentist; a livery stable; blacksmith shop; a shoe store; a tailor; two restaurants; saloons; two meat dealers; and two lumber dealers.
Among the famous ex-residents of LeClaire is Captain Sam Van Sant, river man, Ex-governor of Minnesota and commanders of the National organization of Grand Army of the Republic.
Long Grove is in Winfield township about twelve miles north of Davenport, on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad. It takes its name from a large grove of timber near by and the village is surrounded by very rich farm country. It has a fine school with two teachers; two churches; two dealers in general merchandise; a feed mill; a creamery; two farm implement concerns; two blacksmith shops; a cigar factory; a meat market; grain elevator; lumber and coal yards; a large nursery; a physician; and a hotel. It is the center of twelve telephone lines radiating in all directions.
Princeton has a population of about 500 and is the leading town in the township of that name. It is directly opposite Cordova, Illinois, on the Mississippi river, and twenty miles from Davenport. It is on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul and the Illinois & Iowa Interurban railways; also steamers on the Mississippi furnish its citizens with transportation. The school is a graded one employing three teachers. There is a Presbyterian, Lutheran and Methodist episcopal church, each having a liberal attendance of worshipers. There are two hotels; one bank; two physicians; an undertaker; two general stores; a hardware store; an implement store; a harness shop; a shoe store; a blacksmith shop; a livery stable; lumber yard; photograph gallery; meat market; drug store; an elevator; two saloons, newspaper, the Princeton Review.
This thriving little village was laid out in 1853 by J. E. Burnsides, John Perrin and James W. Reynolds on sections 31 and 32. Blue Grass township and on sections 5 and 6, Buffalo township. John Perrin was the first postmaster, from 1849 until 1853, when he was succeeded by a Mr. Colvin. A merchant of Muscatine, named John Baker, opened the first store here in the spring of 1856. Christ Meeke, in 1852, became the first blacksmith. The first wagon maker was Henry Greebe, in 1853. He remained a few years, then moved to Nebraska, where he became quite prominent in politics. The first shoe maker was William Souerman, in 1855. William Moss, in 1853, opened the first carpenter shop. The first hotel was built by J. E. Burnsides in 1855. Garret Clawson was its first landlord. The Baptists in 1854 built the first church and in 1859 the second church was built by the Methodist Episcopal society. The church building was subsequently removed from the village, after which the Methodists erected another church on a more elaborate scale. The Presbyterians came next in 1873 and built a church. In 1859 the first school house was erected at a cost of $1,000. J. E. Burnsides in 1856 erected a steam flouring mill. The second steam flouring mill was built in 1867 by a Mr. Dorman. Brick was first made in Blue Grass in the summer of 1845 by Ezra Carpenter. Within the limits of the brickyard, six feet below the surface, the fossil remains of a mastodon were found. The tusks resembled petrified hickory and were estimated to be eleven feet long. Blue Grass is located on a branch of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad, in the southern part of the township of that name, and is about ten miles west of Davenport. It has a graded school; two churches; a bank; two general stores; a lumber yard; meat market; implement store; blacksmith shop; barber shop; one physician; saloons; telephone, telegraph and express offices.
Walcott was laid out in 1853 on sections 7 and 8, by Cook and Sargent, of Davenport, and the first passenger train that ever ran over the Mississippi & Missouri railroad carried a delegation to attend the sale of lands of the village. F. W. Keferstein was the first merchant. He removed to Davenport in 1871. The postoffice was established in the town in 1855 and Mr. Keferstein was the first postmaster. Samuel Venchoff was the first blacksmith and the firm of Bach & Sears established the first harness shop. The railroad company built a warehouse in 1855 and in 1867 an elevator was built. Walcott is an incorporated town and is on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad, twelve miles northwest of Davenport. It has a population of about 500. It has a graded school; water works; two banks, one of which has deposits of nearly $500,000; three general stores; two elevators; two drug stores; a furniture store; a hardware and stove store; two blacksmith shops; a harness shop; a meat shop; three implement concerns; and is an important shipping point for grain and live stock. Contiguous to Walcott the country is mainly settled by Germans.
The article here following is from the ready and faithful pen of Mary E. Parkhurst, and was prepared for and published in the Half Century Democrat:
"LeClaire is a beautiful, historic, and restful town, nestling beneath green hills and kissed by the caressing waves of the 'father of waters,' and bathed by the early rays of the morning sun. Health, happiness and prosperity are the guardian angels of her future welfare and destiny. The past to her is a rich treasury of sacred and historic interest. Many a noble and worthy citizen has passed to the beyond, yet the cherished history surrounding the early pioneer, breathing a hallowed influence upon this town like a sweet benediction, will ever abide.
"Following the tread of civilization, two towns, LeClaire and Parkhurst, sprang into being. Separating the two was a dense forest, called by Edward Russell 'The Gulf,' extending on the bank of the river westward between Silver creek and Holland street. A. H. Davenport and R. H. Rogers, owning this strip of land, divided it into town lots. In 1855 on petition of the inhabitants of both towns the legislature, by an act, incorporated the city of LeClaire, including within its limits the town of Parkhurst. LeClaire was a thriving city. It was the home of the river man, the professional and business man, and the craftsman, all finding an avenue for activity and success. At low water the packets and floating rafts, when darkness of night gathered, anchored at LeClaire, awaiting the early dawn when some trusty pilot would safely guide the way over the treacherous rapids. The social, religious, educational and commercial were interwoven into a harmonious whole for the growth of this promising city. Lectures were given before literary and temperance societies; musical societies met weekly; Sunday and public school exhibitions entertained the people; the Methodist, Episcopal, Congregational, Baptist, Disciples, and Universalist churches, all having worship, cultivated and fostered the religious sentiment. 'A vocal and instrumental soiree' was given by Miss Helen M. Ekin, now Mrs. Helen M. Starrett, a mother of several highly educated sons, and a well known writer and educator of Chicago. 'A May ball' was given in Davenport's hall. The committee of arrangements were selected from the surrounding towns. Room managers were C. S. Disney, L. S. Chamberlin, A. M. White. Supper was served at the Bratton House, M. D. Westlake, proprietor. Bill. $300. Music was furnished by White's band, conducted by Alfred Milo White, the noted violinist.
"The hum of industry was heard. From the LeClaire Marine railway the ring of the hammer in building and repairing boats, and the buzz of the saws from the two sawmills, joined with the machine shop of Charley Kattenbracker and Adolph Weithe, in musical notes of industry. 'The Swan Mills,' operated by Terhune and Grout, 'manufactured a very superior article of flour.' They stated in 1856, 'We deliver our flour by ten barrels and upward within fifteen or eighteen miles of our mill free of charge.' Disney, Stonebraker & Company, wanted thirty thousand bushels of corn for cash. Dry goods, clothing, hardware, boat and provision stores, blacksmith, tin, copper, cabinet, candy and tailor shops, house and shop carpenters, stone masons and bricklayers, supplied the growing needs of the city. Drs. S. W. Treat, James Gamble, and Hill guarded the public health, while Rufus Linderman, the lawyer, promoted peace and tranquility. Messrs. H. Fleming, William Craig, Francis H. Impy and Edward Russell swayed public opinion, through 'The Weekly Express.'
"Education was an important factor in this progressive city. The school district was divided by the state into four districts under one organization. The following communication was recieved: 'Office of School Fund Commissioner, Davenport. May 15, 1855. To the voters of school district No. 10, LeClaire Town: It having been made known that your district is without officers, I have appointed Daniel Hagedorn, president, Dennis Barnes, secretary and Homer Carpenter, treasurer of said district until the first Monday in May, A. D. 1856, and until their successor shall be elected and qualified. H. Price, Fund Commissioner, Scott County, Iowa.' At a school meeting in LeClaire in district No. 7, in 1856, Mr. Spaulding, chairman, and A. M. Larimer, secretary, Laurel Summers, introduced the following resolution: Resolved, That school district No. 7, LeClaire, is in favor of uniting with districts No. 2, 10 and 11, and thereby forming 'a union of the four districts. Each district as it now stands does not forfeit or surrender its title or ownership to the school property.'
"In 1855 it was agreed between Daniel Hagedorn, Dennis Barnes, Homer Carpenter and Pardon H. Owen, that said Owen should teach one of the schools for the term of three months for the sum of $33.33 1/3 per month. A. P. Westfall was witness to the contract. Pardon H. Owen was a scholarly man. Eighty-seven bright boys and girls attended his school during the year. The following schoolhouses have been used in LeClaire during the last fifty years: the brick building in Parkhurst town; the Baptist church on Wisconsin avenue; the Presbyterian church on Jones street, called the 'black school' owing to the unpainted and weatherbeaten condition of the building; the school house built in 1850 on Ferry street, called the 'White school:' the old Methodist church on Main street; the Catholic church, beautifully situated upon one of the high bluffs; the German school house and the present building, built in 1870. Only two of these old buildings remain standing. Four schools continued in LeClaire until 1868, when one primary school was disbanded, leaving three schools; the high school, one intermediate, and one primary, called for convenience 'the stone, the black and the white schools.' The first principal was Mr. Raymond, in 1857. Mr. Baldwin in 1858, L. W. Weller in 1859, H. M. Hoon in 1860. The high school then moved from the old Methodist church to the Catholic church. H. M. Hoon completed his term of service and Mr. Stewart and Charles Clark were principals in this building. The high school then moved to the German school house, William Sanderson and J. W. Coates being principals. In 1871 all the schools were held in the present building. The following have been in charge of the schools since: J. W. Austin, J. W. Coates, C. E. Birchard, J. F. Lavender, J. T. Marvin, J. A. Holmes, E. A. Hamilton, W. D. Wells, Victor L. Dodge, E. S. Kinley, A. E. Baker, W. C. Hicks, C. W. Bartine, A. W. Schantz, John F. Ogden, S. M. Carlington, W. E. B. Marks, J. F. Norman. Messrs. Hoon, Coates, Birchard, Lavender, Kinley, Wells and Bartine married LeClaire ladies.
"Mrs. M. L. Marks taught a private school in LeClaire for ten years. Nearly every boy and girl at that time attended her school part of the year. In 1859 Dr. Ekin, the Presbyterian minister, conducted a Ladies'Seminary at Maple Dale; now the home of Captain I. H. Spinsby. The influence of Dr. Ekin and family was helpful and elevating to the people of LeClaire. In 1856 an 'English and Classical School' was kept in LeClaire by A. W. Alvord and R. C. Hitchcock. Miss Mary Payson conducted a private school for some time. She returned east and married a Mr. Pierce, the grandfather of one of Davenport's real estate agents. Mrs. Sarah Hurd and Mrs. M. L. Follette conducted, for some time, a select school. Mrs. Hurd taught painting, music, embroidery and other fine arts. In 1859 Mrs. Elsie A. Curtis, Mrs. Stella Tromley and Mrs. Sarah Dawley were elected school directors. They completed their term in office with credit to themselves and profit to the public schools.
"The LeClaire Lyceum and Library association was incorporated in 1867. The object of the society was twofold: literary improvement and the establishment of a public library. In 1867 an exhibition was given in Davenport's hall. The program occupied four hours. All seemed highly pleased. The proceeds were used in purchasing books. A season ticket cost fifty cents and included the regular weekly meeting, also the lectures. Ten cents admission was demanded at the door from all who did not have season tickets at the regular weekly meeting. Between five and six hundred volumes were bought by this society, which are now anchored in the school building and called the public library. Time, thought and labor were freely expended by this society for the public and future benefit of LeClaire. The following are some of the worthy citizens who were interested in this work: Hon. Laurel Summers, Hon. A. M. Larimer, H. A. Harrington, James Powell, P. H. Owen, Milton Parkhurst, F Snyder, Captain S. E. Van Sant, N. F. Horne, Mrs. Mary Summers, Mrs. Sarah Headley, Mrs. James Powell, Mrs. James, Mrs. Decker, Miss Minnie Robinson, now Mrs. Waggoner of Blue Grass, and many others. A few remain in LeClaire; some have moved to other places, while some have journeyed to the other world. The public library is the legacy these worthy citizens have left to coming generations. May it ever be guarded as a precious relic from the past!
"LeClaire still has much literary talent and many ambitious young people. Mrs. M. L. Follett writes verse which has the true poetic ring. J. D. Barnes is an interesting writer of historical sketches. Miss Gertie Dawley is a teacher of Greek and Latin in high school at Oak Park, near Chicago. Miss Alice Lancaster is a student at Iowa City and a teacher of physical training. Mrs. Rose Eldridge delights with her camera to reproduce the historic and picturesque. Miss Tuna Isherwood will soon complete her studies at the state university. Dr. Alvina Kattenbracker has been a practicing physician for twenty-five years. For a number of years she presided over a happy home. Her husband having died and her two sons married, she still continues to practice in her profession, having the confidence and esteem of the LeClaire people.
"Several newspapers have been started in this place; among them the Weekly Express and the LeClaire City Express. This paper was devoted to religion, art, science, literature, agriculture, mechanics, news, commerce, enterprise and progress. The motto, 'Be just and fear not; let all the ends thou aims't at be thy country's, thy God's and Truth's.' Several papers followed: The LeClaire Republican, the Scott County Register, the LeClaire Pilot, the LeClaire Journal, and the LeClaire Advance, which is now (1905) in the sixth year of success and prosperity. J. E. Fedderson is editor and publisher. A new press will soon be in use. Mr. Fedderson married one of LeClaire's fair daughters.
"The ferry, the Twin City, through the sweep of time and the lashing of the cruel waves, became disabled, and a new ferry was built by R. A. Edwards, named the May Flower. These boats, as well as the owners, served the people well and faithfully. They were owned by different parties at various times, but P. M. Smith guided his neat ferries across the waters thirty-five years. With the advent of the railroad the ferry business departed.
"In 1858 this advertisement appeared in the LeClaire Enterprise: 'Banking house of Davenport, Rogers & Company. Exchange, gold, sliver and uncurrent money.' Forty-seven years drifted down the stream of time ere LeClaire was favored with the LeClaire Savings bank; C. S. Simpson, president; W. P. Headley, vice president; J. E. Parker, cashier; capital $100,000, the stock being subscribed by thirty of the most progressive and influential citizens of the community. From the first the bank has proven a convenience and a help to the business interests. Its deposits average over $80,000 and are constantly increasing. Many of the active business men in this place today are brave sons of LeClaire, and are an honor to their native town. They loyally watch every public interest and carry many burdens of public responsibility. A. N. Davisson was a business man thirty years. C. P. Disney has been in business forty-six years and mayor seven times. Waldo Parkhurst was a merchant forty years. Dr. James Gamble practiced medicine fifty-six years. L. Schworm kept a boot and shoe store forty-eight years and Mrs. Jane Jack kept a millinery store thirty years. Mrs. Mary Summers is the only one living who has had a continuous residence in LeClaire since 1842.
"LeClaire is no longer a city but a peaceful, restful town of 800 inhabitants. Many of her industries have crumbled before the stern and relentless tread of Time, yet with the many beautiful homes, town hall, school building, churches and public-spirited citizens prosperity and happiness may ever await the guardian angels at her gateway. She is no longer isolated for the railroad and interurban have linked her with the great outside world, of which she is a beautiful and symetrical part."