Iowa Gazetteer and Business Directory,
ALLEN'S GROVE. A county
postoffice in Allen's Grove township, Scott county, 3 miles west of Donahue, the
nearest railroad station, and 15 northwest of Davenport, the county seat, the
nearest banking point. Settled in 136, it contains a church and school, and
ships produce. Stages tri-weekly to Donahue. Mail, tri-weekly. W.B. Stephens,
Grell Henry, constable.
Grell James, justice of peace.
Hasenmuler Joseph, shoemaker.
Jenner P F., hotel and saloon.
Stephens W B, General Store.
AMITY. Also known as Maysville, is a
post village in Scott county, 12 miles northwest of Davenport, the county seat,
nearest railroad station and banking point. Settled in 1850. Stages tri-weekly
to Davenport; fare, 50 cents. Population, 90. Mail, semi-weekly. Henry Schultz,
Amburg Frederick, shoemaker.
Anderson J, shoemaker.
Burmeister Paul, justice of peace.
Hirt G, constable.
Joens Henry, meat market.
Klindt Henry, hotel propr.
Luthje T, hotel propr.
Meyer C, blacksmith
Orth H, wagonmaker.
Runde Ernest, painter.
Schultz Henry, General store.
Will Joachim, carpenter.
BALLUFF. A recently established
postoffice in Scott county.
BARRWOOD. A discontinued postoffice in
Scott county, 14 miles from Davenport, the county seat. Send mail to Long Grove.
BIG ROCK. A village on the D. line of
the C., M. & St. P. Ry, inthe northwest corner of Scott county, 26 miles
northwest of Davenport, the county seat, 10 southeast of Lowden, the nearest
banking point. It contains Catholic and Congregational churches. Ships grain and
produce. Population, 200. Tel., W.U. Exp., U.S. Mail, daily. Don C. Gates,
Beers L S, harnessmaker.
Bieman John, wagonmaker.
Bradney J O, railroad and exp agt.
Bragan Rev Father (Catholic)
Cowles G, hotel propr.
Cowles Wm, livery
Gates D, General Store.
Gilman S F & Hammond, grain and elevator.
Graves Rev A (Congregational)
Halgren Peter, lumber.
Kirkpatrick A, carpenter.
Manchester A W, mason.
Mitchell J M, live stock.
Moore Charles, meat market.
Murphy M T, blacksmith
Nagel F, flour mill.
O'Neill Bros, live stock.
Pritchle John, flour mill.
Randall Hanson, blacksmith
Stockdale Guthrie & Co, creamery.
Stratton O M, stone mason
Tedstrom G, boots and shoes.
Wilber Wm, mason.
Wright O E, druggist.
BLUE GRASS. A village in Blue Grass and
Buffalo townships, Scott county, 200 miles from Des Moines, 10 west of
Davenport, the county seat and nearest banking point and 5 north of Buffalo, on
the C., R.I. & P. Ry, the nearest railroad station. It contains Methodist
Episcopal, Presbyterian and Baptist churches and ships grain and live stock.
Stages, tri-weekly to Davenport and Muscatine; fares 25 and 35 cents
respectively. Population, 120. Mail, tri-weekly. Henry Karges, postmaster.
Buchanan J O, tombstone agent.
Campbell S R, hotel propr and harnessmkr.
Claussen G A, brick mnfr.
Gadd B F, physician
Gadd Samuel, cabinetmaker.
Greenwald John, flour mill.
Jost Frederick, wagonmaker.
Karges Henry, General Store.
Klatt A, blacksmith.
Knause Wm, flour and feed.
Langbehn Henry, shoemaker.
Lewis Wm, flour and feed.
Meeke C, blacksmith.
Meynos Herman, hotel propr.
Miller __, hotel propr.
Plett Henry, carpenter.
Porter J R, physician.
Pugh Rev H F (Methodist Episcopal)
Putman Philip, farm impts.
Robinson S A, carpenter.
Shaffer S S, meat market.
Speer D B, nursery.
BUFFALO. An incorporated town on the
Mississippi river and on the S.W. div of the C.R.I. & P. Ry, in Buffalo
township, Scott county, 176 miles east of Des Moines and 9 southwest of
Davenport, the county seat and nearest banking point. It contains Christian,
Episcopal, Methodist and Catholic churches, public schools and a weekly
newspaper, the Scott County Blade, is published. Telephone communication with
Davenport, Muscatine, etc. Population 500. Tel., W.U. Exp., U.S. Mail, daily.
A.H. Dorman, postmaster.
Appel Conrad, general store
Bald Mrs, stone quarry.
Bohl John, flour and feed.
Cass H H, lumber and tile factory
Steiger Glass Co.
Dorman A H, Groceries and Hardware
Dorman H J C, dry goods, boots and shoes.
Folsom E A, railroad and express agent.
Heckle Mrs. S, hotel propr.
Herbert V, hotel and grocer
Hoffbauer H, brewer.
Hoffbaum Hugo, justice of peace. *[Should read Hoffbauer]
Knehaus Rev J H (German Methodist)
Lee Wm, stoneware mnfr.
Mauers Mrs., saloon.
Mess Ernst, blacksmith
Metzger & Frike, building stone.
Murer Bros., builders
Reinbrecht Philip, wagonmaker
Stollenberg J, blacksmith.
Webster Wm, insurance agent.
Wells Dr George R, Mayor
Whisler Rev J H (Christian)
DAVENPORT. A thriving city in Scott
county, on the west bank of the Mississippi river, 250 miles north of St. Louis,
Mo., and 175 east of Des Moines. It is the second largest city in the State, and
in commercial importance ranks second to none. Its shipping facilities,which are
excellent, consist of the C., R.I. & P. Ry and C., M. & St. P. Ry, which
have depots here, and the C., B. & Q., the Rock Island & Mercer County,
and the Rock Island & Peoria Rys, all receive and deliver freight and
passengers in this city. During 7 months in the year a large portion of the
shipments to and from Davenport are made by way of the river, there being 2
daily lines of steamers between St. Louis and St. Paul, besides several steamers
engaged in the local traffic. Opposite Davenport and tributary to it are the
cities of Rock Island, with 13,000 inhabitants, and Moline, the largest
manufacturing town in the west; and 3 miles south is Milan, another
manufacturing place. These four cities combined and virtually forming only one
settlement aggregate nearly 60,000 inhabitants. The city has a very large
jobbing trade, and manufactures are numerous. There are 5 saw mills, cutting on
an average 1,000,000 feet per day, agricultural implement works, glucose
factories, foundries and machine shops, cigar factories, boiler works, box
factories, 5 breweries, a number of brick yards, candy and cracker factories, a
grain elevator, 8 flour mills, 2 horse collar factories, lumber yards, show
case, churn, ladder, furniture, window shade, and sash, door and blind
factories, plow works, a rope walk, oatmeal and woolen mills, a pottery, a pump
and pipe factory, Oscillator thresher factory, marble works, a paper box
factory, a piano factory, soap and lard oil factories, spice mills, carriage and
wagon works, a washing machine factory, and many more too numerous to mention in
the brief space allowed for this sketch, but of which a detailed and complete
account will be found in the subjoined list of names. By the especial effort of
the citizens of Davenport, an appropriation has been secured for the survey of a
canal from Hennepin, Ill., to the mouth of the Rock river, or some other
eligible point on the Mississippi river. Davenport has for years had the well
deserved reputation of having the best schools in the State. The high and
training schools are attended by a number of pupils from other places. The
public schools comprise 10 grammar schools, a high school and a training school,
and besides these there are quite a number of private schools among others the
Griswold College and the Academy of the Immaculate Conception, the latter a
ladies' boarding school of the highest rank. The Academy of Sciences and the
public library, both established and maintained by the liberality of citizens
are model institutions of their kind, the former has a most complete collection
of relics of the mound builders, and numbers among its corresponding members
some of the most eminent scientists of the day. The churches are numerous and
comprise all the principal religious denominations. There are 6 first-class
hotels and numerous smaller ones, 3 national and 2 savings banks with an
aggregate capital and surplus of $1,000,000 and the learned professions and
various branches of commerce are well represented. The Central Union Telephone
Company with headquarters at Davenport now embraces all towns within the radius
of 75 miles and the company is in a flourishing condition. The following papers
are published and keep the citizens informed on all current topics of interest.
The Democrat (daily, weekly, and Sunday), the Gazette, (daily and weekly), the
Herald (weekly), the Demokrat (German, daily, semi-weekly and weekly), the Iowa
Messenger (weekly), the Northwestern News( weekly), the Familien Journal, the
Sternen Banner, and several monthly publications. Davenport is growing steadily;
handsome brick blocks and private residences are going up in all parts of the
town, and the value of real estate is increasing rapidly. The rate of taxation
is lower here than in any other city of 10,000 inhabitants in Iowa, which fact
should induce those seeking a location for new enterprises to choose Davenport.
The city, covering nearly 5 square miles is traversed in every direction by
street cars, enabling business men to reach their stores and offices quickly
from any part of the town. Tel., W.U. Exp., U.S. and Am. Population, 26,000.
Mail, daily. Edward Russell, postmaster.
Abbott L L & Son (Lewis L and Delancy N Abbott), Revere House, 3d and
Abel Henry, poormaster, County bldg.
Aberle John B, baker, 1404 W 2d.
Ackley House, C B Cross Propr, cor 3d and Perry.
Adams Mnfg Co (Charles F Adams, Detroit Mich, propr, Louis T Palmer manager),
clothes wringers, 119 Main.
Adams & Hayward (Walker Adams, Eugene B Hayward), staves, cor 3d and Rock
Adamson Andrew, saloon, 326 E 2d
Ahrens John, saloon, 432 W 2d
Alberti Rudolph, phys, cor 3d and Main
Albrecht Otto & Co (Otto Albrecht, Frank J Raible), Cigar Mnfrs, 306 W 2d.
Alexander Wm R H, lawyer, 203 w 3d.
Amazon Vinegar and Pickling Works, Wm M Smith Pres, Treas and Mngr, Benjamin A
Raphael Sec, Vinegar Mnfrs and Bottling Pickles, West Davenport.
Amercian Express Co; G J Tomlinson agt, 209 Brady.
Anderson Mrs A C, milliner, 323 Brady.
Arnheim Adolph, grocer, cor 6th and Harrison.
Arnold Morris, Cloaks, Dry Goods and Ladies' Furnishings, 129 W 2d and 125 and
Arsenal Brewery, Koehler & Lange proprs, cor E Front and Mound.
Ascherman Antoinette, General Groceries, Wines and Liquors, 1502 and 1504
Atlantic House, John Critz propr, 422 Perry.
Atwood Wm S, saloon, 120 E 3d.
Aye John, saloon, 731 w 2d.
Bahns Herman, jeweler, 219 Harrison.
Bailey Bruno, chief dispatcher C, R I & P Ry
Bailey & Taylor (S Evalene Bailey, Ellen A Taylor), physicians, 303 Perry.
Baker James, hog breeder, 2 miles n.
Baker John W H, physician, s e cor 3d and Brady
Baker Robert F, physician, s w cor 3d and Perry.
Ballord E S & Co (E S and John W Ballord), druggists, 106 W 2d.
Barr Israel, cattle breeder, 2 miles n.
Barris Willis H, prof of church history, Griswold college.
Bartels Wm, saloon, 531 w 2d.
Bartemeyer Frederick H, grover, 1430 Harrison.
Bartemeier & Geerts (John Bartemeier, Anthony Geerts), clothing, 211 W 2d.
Bauderob John, grocer, 922 W 2d
Baule Wm, saloon, 109 E 3d
Baumgarten W F & Co (Wm F Baumgarten, Fred C Fahrenkrug), shoes 266 W 3d
Baurose Louis, fancy goods, 732 W 2d.
Bawden Henry L, physician, 107 W 3d.
Beck Martin, cigar mnfr, 3d nr Ripley
Becker Gustav, saloon, 329 W 2d
Beem Charles P, broommaker, 111 Brady
Behncke & Like (Frank A Behncke, Martin Like), farm impts, 605 Harrison
Beiderbecke & Miller (Charles Beiderbecke, Frank H Miller), wh grocers, 109
Bell Charles H, grocer, 1130 Harrison
Benson Bros (Henry H and Erastus A), lawyers, 209 W 3d
Benton R & Son (Charles H and Richard), livery, cor 3d and Rock Island
Berg Henry, gunsmith, 230 W 3d
Bergert Fritz, livery, 525 W 2d
Bergfeld Fritz, saloon, 321 W 2d
Berwald & Frisius (John Berwald, Adolph Frisius), fancy goods, 214 W 2d
Betz Philip, shoemaker, 1403 Harrison
Biller Leonhard, dry goods, 1114 W 3d
Billion Alfred C, jeweler, 410 Brady
Billion Miss S, music teacher, 1303 Brady
Billipps Frederick, saloon, 301 E 3d
Bills J C & Co (John C Bills) Show Case Mnfrs, 434 Brady
Bills & Block (John C Bills, Herman Block), lawyers, 214 Main
Birchard W J, county clerk, County bldg.
Bissell Wm P, hardware, 223 Brady
Black George W, confectioner, 420 Brady
Blake Orrin P, ticket broker, 112 W 2d
Blakemore M G, dentist, 3d and Pearl.
Boies Morse, undertaker, 318 Perry
Bowling Miss Mary C, milliner, 313 Brady
Boyd George M, lawyer, 214 Brady
Boyle Peter A, lawyer, 218 Main
Boyschou Christian, Billiard Hall and Sample Room, 108 E 2d
Bracelin Patrick M, physician, 428 Brady
Brady Edwin W, window shades, 120 E Front
Brammann & Suhr (Jacob Brammann, Henry Suhr), grocers, 217 Harrison
Brammer H F & Co (Henry F Brammer, E Hugo Schmidt), Mnfrs and Dlrs in
Washing Machines and Churns, 317 to 321
Brandenburg Charles, shoes, 312 W 2d
Brandt Christian, blacksmith, 808 W 2d
Brandt Wm, meats, 602 W 4th
Brandt & Techenten (Christian Brandt, Frederick Techenten), wagonmakers, 816
Brannan John P, confectioner, cor 4th and Iowa
Braun Carl, dentist, 332 W 3d
Braunlich Henry U, physician, 1116 W 3d
Braunlich Henry W, phys, 732 W 5th
Braunlich Hugo, music teacher, 732 W 5th
Bremer Edward, confectioner, 110 W 2d
Bremer Henry, cooper, 1302 W 3d
Brockett Mrs Phoebe, dressmkr, 529 Brady
Brockmann Charles, cigars, 410 W 2d
Brockman John D, grocer, 329 Marquette
Bronner & Wernentin (John Bronner, Fritz Werentin), books, 328 W 2d
Brown Lewis J, abstracts, 213 W 2d
Brown & Smith (Leander R Brown, Dwight E Smith) dentists, 225 Brady
Brugge John, saloon, 419 W 4th
Brugge & Hansen (John Brugge, Claus Hansen), cigar mnfrs, 417 W 4th
Bruhn Fritz, barber, 404 W 2d
Brunswick & Balke Co, Philip Leonardy mngr, billiard and pool tables, 309 W
Bryant & Doe (Seth P Bryant, Alonzo P Doe), whol boots and shoes, 207 Brady
Bryson Alonzo & Son (Alonzo and Elmer), flour and feed, cor 4th and Iowa.
Buck Miles, barber, 436 Brady
Buck & Morgan Bros (James K Buck, Philip and Edwin T Morgan), grocers, 322
Bulzer Miss Minnie, hair goods, 128 E 3d
Bunker H & M (Henry and Melville), stair builders, 219 E 3d
Burchill Robert, painter, 310 Perry
Burleigh & Robirds (Charles B Burleigh, Victoria Robirds), hair goods, 107
Burmeister Christian, meats, 1354 W 3d
Burtis Howard, propr Kimball House, cor 4th and Perry
Burtis Opera House, Howard Burtis propr, Albert L Skeels mngr, cor 4th and Perry
Burton B B, civil engineer C, R I & P Ry
Busch Wm, druggist, 307 W 2d
Busse Frank A, bleacher, 324 Brady
Cable Lumber Co (capital stock, $100,000; surplus, $35,000), George W Cable pres
and treas, James A Freeman sec, E Front and Spring
Cain Mrs Harriet, artist, 503 Brady
Cameron John & Son, (John and Charles S), wall paper, 512 Brady
Cameron Wm S, hats and caps, 127 E 3d
Cantwell Alonzo W, physician, 308 Brady
Carleton Frank P, shoes, 110 E 3d.
(pg 8 of 114)
ELDRIDGE. A village at the junction of the D. line
and M. branch of the C.M. & St. P. Ry, in Sheridan township, Scott county,
1? miles north of Davenport, the county seat and nearest banking point. It has a
Presbyterian church and public
school. Ships grain and live stock. Population, 110. Tel., W.U. Exp., U.S. Mail,
daily. E.V. Van Eps, postmaster.
Boecken C, hotel.
Calkins R M, railroad and express agent.
McDowell & Quinn, meat market.
Merriott J H, painter.
Remmerer Dr. C.T., druggist.
Ross J.W., barbed wire.
Sweis Henry, blacksmith.
Thompson J.C., saloon.
Van Eps E V., General Store.
LONG GROVE. A village on the M. br. C., M.
& St. P. Ry, in Winfield township, Scott county, 170 miles east of Des
Moines, and 12 north of Davenport, the county seat and nearest banking point.
Settled in 1836, it contains a Christian church, and ships grain and live stock.
Population, 150. Tel., W. U., Exp., U.S. Mail, daily. S.D. Richardson,
Ahrens Henry, shoemaker.
Bluhm Charles F, saloon.
Brownlee Bros., live stock.
Heyden Theodore, saloon.
Martindale Thomas, blacksmith.
Owen W E. railroad and express agt.
Peterson Daniel, blacksmith
Richardson O W & Co., General Store.
Skinin John, horse dealer.
Williamson A, justice of peace.
WOLCOTT. A village on the C., R.I. & P. Ry, in
Blue Grass township, Scott county, 168 miles east of Des Moines, and 12
northwest of Davenport, the county seat and nearest banking point. Settled in
1854. Ships grain, live stock, produce, etc. Telephone communication.
Population, 350. Tel., W.U. Exp., U.S. Mail, daily. B. Schwarting, postmaster.
Benewitz & Co., general store and ins.
Bock H, harnessmaker.
Buenning Henry, blacksmith.
Burtscher J, wagonmaker.
Guremnaer H, hotel.
Hintz L, general store.
Ihms Claus, carpet weaver.
Koehnke Theodore, harnessmaker.
Kroeger John, shoemaker.
Mann W.J., wagonmaker.
Nielson Claus, brick and stone mason.
Peek G E, railroad and express agent.
Peters Henry, saloon.
Pruemmer H, telephone office.
Ruye C, shoemaker.
Schrerber H, notary and book agent.
Schwarting B, Flour Mill.
Sindt H.H, hotel.
Stockdale & Dietz, grain.
Stoekel Martin, brick and stone mason.
Strubin & Popp, carpenters.
Weihmann C, saloon.
Werner A, blacksmith.