Iowa Official Register, 1927-1928
Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall.


Commissioner of Health, was born at Walcott (Scott county), Iowa, October 11, 1878.  Moved with his parents to Grundy county when three years of age.  Graduated from the Reinbeck (Iowa) high school in 1896, and from the University of Iowa with the degree of B.S. in 1900, and the degrees of M.S. and M.D. in 1902.  Spent two years in Europe, chiefly in Vienna, studying pathology, bacteriology and public health.  Was professor of pathology and bacteriology at the University of Iowa, college of medicine, from 1905 to 1920, and director of the laboratories for the Iowa State Board of Health from their establishment in 1906 to 1920.  throat trouble caused him to go west in 1921.  He was director of the Nevada state hygienic laboratory at Reno, Nevada, four years, or until September 1, 1926, when he was appointed commissioner of health by Governor Hammill.  He was married to Edith Whiteis in 1905.

Adjutant General of Iowa, was born in Davenport, Iowa, March 17, 1873.  His education was acquired in the grade and high schools of Davenport, and the military school Kemper Hall, and Griswold college.  His business career began as a traveling salesman in 1891, and in 1897 he accepted the position of manager of the provision business of Swift & Co. at Alleghany City, Pa., from which place he rejoined Company B, 50th Iowa Volunteer infantry in May, 1898, for duty in the Spanish-American war.  He served from May 12 to November 30, 1898, in Des Moines, Iowa, and Jacksonville, Fla.  On January 5, 1899, he enlisted in the 12th U.S. infantry for service in the Philippines, and was discharged January 4, 1902.  On his return to the United States, he traveled until July, 1905, when he helped organize the Lasher Manufacturing Co., of Davenport, Iowa.  September 1, 1906, he accepted the general managership of the C.O.D. Cleaning & Dyeing Co., of Davenport, Iowa, and in 1910 became the president and general manager of that firm.  On July 24, 1915, he was appointed by Governor Clarke as a lieutenant colonel and A.D.C. and was reappointed to the same position by Governor Harding on February 1, 1917. On July 20, 1918, he was appointed colonel and assistant adjutant general of Iowa, and on September 1, 1918, he was promoted to be brigadier general, and adjutant general of Iowa, to fill out the unexpired term of Adjutant General Logan.  A republican in politics.
FLETCHER, John --Attorney General, was born in Scott county, Iowa, January 5, 1876. Educated in a country school, the Iowa State Teachers College; and the law department of the state university.  Admitted to the practice of law in 1899.  Practicing attorney at Avoca for ten years, during which time he held the positions of city attorney and mayor.  In 1910, he moved to Des Moines as assistant attorney general to Attorney General H.W. Byers. He continued to serve as assistant attorney general to Attorney General George Cosson, and later with Attorney General Ben J. Gibson. In May, 1925, he was appointed by Governor Hammill as a judge of the district court of Polk county, Iowa, where he presided over the court of domestic relations.  He was married June 14, 1905, to Miss Marie D. Schmidt, of Avoca, Iowa, now deceased.  He has three children, Maurice, Warren and Margaret.  Republican in politics.
Member of Board of Education, was born July 9, 1857, on a farm in Iowa county, Iowa.  He was educated in the district schools of Iowa, Hall's school for boys, at Ellington, Conn., McClain's academy at Iowa City, and the Iowa state university.  He remained one year at the state university and then completed four years of special work in civil engineering at Cornell university, Ithaca, class of 1879.  During the years from 1879 to 1889 he was engaged in railway location, construction and maintenance work, after which he was chief engineer for the high bridges built across the Mississippi river at Muscatine and Clinton, and consulting engineer of the high bridge at Winona, Minn.  From 1893 until January, 1910, he was engaged in general construction work on railways, paving, sewerage, water works, and heavy building construction.  Served as a member of the general assembly in the twenty-sixth regular and special session, was a member of the house of representatives from Scott county, was elected mayor of the city of Davenport in 1898, serving two years and was delegate at large to the democratic national convention in 1900.  A democrat in politics.

Representative from Scott county, was born in the city of Davenport, Iowa, November 28, 1858.  He attended the rural schools and afterwards received some private instruction.  Learned the blacksmith trade, but went to farming when he became of age.  Was married March 12, 1887, to Emma Harst of Scott county, who died October 6, 1897.  There were born
to them four children, two boys and two girls.  Both boys are World War veterans.  One served with the 88th division in France.  Has served on the board of education of Sheridan township, one term as justice of the peace and as vice president of the Scott county farm bureau.  A member of the Iowa farm bureau federation.  Served in the thirty-seventh, thirty-eighth, fortieth, forty-first and forty-second general assemblies.  A member of the Woodmen of the World.  A republican in

"History of Medicine in Iowa", D.S. Fairchild, M.D., F.A.C.S.,
 reprinted from The Journal of the Iowa State Medical Society, 1927

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall.

W.D. Middleton.
Dr. William Drummond Middleton was born April 26, 1844 and died April 5, 1902.  William, son of John and Mary Gilchrist Middleton was born near Aberdeen, Scotland.  He inherited from his Scotch ancestry a stalworth and persevering disposition, and a fearless independence characteristic of his race.  He had a keen sense of humor and his ready wit and joyous ways gave increasing pleasure and inspiration to those about him.  He loved nature and from the highlands and lowlands of Scotland to the forests and plains of the Western world, every tree, shrub and flower was dear to him.  He knew them all by name and when much fatigued, to lie under the trees and look up, was a favorite occupation. He loved animals, from his favorite horses to his dogs and cats.  He enjoyed fishing and sports.  His home stands a monument to his memory, not gained by investment, but by patient hard work.  He said "It is a beautiful home and one would think you had been in it always, but I cannot feel entirely at home until the children have left their marks on the woodwork and furnishings."  Dr. Middleton came to America at the age of 12, the proud possessor of the parochial school medal for excellence in scholarship.  He was well versed in Latin and could quote Homer by the page.  He graduated from the Davenport High School ant taught in the county schools, doing all he could in his spare time to prepare himself for the future.  At the age ot twenty, he enlisted as a volunteer for the Civil War, Company I, Forty-fourth Regiment Iowa Volunteers, receiving at the close of the war, his certificate of thanks for honorable service, bearing the signature of Lincoln and Stanton.  Deciding to study medicine, he entered Bellevue hospital Medical College in New York City.  By working hard in vacation and by close economy and sacrifice during the school year, he completed the course, graduating in 1868, beginning practice in is home city, April 6, 1868, ending April 5, 1902, 34 years minus one day.  Dr. Middleton identified himself with an organization of young men called the "Associated Congress."  It met in the library building.  They had papers, discussions and debates.  He was an active and faithful member and his young friends watched with interest as he forged his way, admiring his energy and ability.  In 1869 the medical department of the State University was organized and he was elected to the chair of physiology and microscopic anatomy, which position he filled until 1886, when elected to the chair of theory and practice of medicine.  In 1891 he took the chair of surgery.  The same year he became dean of the college of medicine, a position he occupied the remainder of his life.  The 30th anniversary of his connection with the college was celebrated by a banquet and the presentation of a beautiful library chair from his colleagues in the faculty.  In 1898 the students organized a society called the "Middletonian" one of the best societies in the University. 
In 1871, Dr. Middleton was married to Sue Y. Modeman and their married life was blessed with 6 children; Mary Louise, George McClelland, Jessie McKenzie, Edward Duncan, John Gilchrist and William Drumond.
Dr. Middleton was one of the first physicians to Mercy Hospital in Davenport and was devoted to its interests all his life, having the confidence and devotion of all with whom he came in contact.  He was the founder of its training school for nurses and president of its board.

Additional information from the bio. of F.W. Peck: (Dr. Middleton) was one of the most delightful physicians the state of Iowa has produced.  At the death of Dr. Peck, Dr. Middleton succeeded him as chief surgeon C.R.I.&P.Ry Co., which position he held to the time of his death in 1902. Dr. Middleton became a member of the Iowa State Medical Society in 1870 and was elected president in 1890.

Harlan, Edgar Rubey. A Narrative History of the People of Iowa. Vol IV. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931

p. 33
    CARL LeBUHN is a native son of Iowa, and is one of the well known insurance men of the state. He is general agent for the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, with headquarters at Davenport, and Davenport is the home and civic community where his interests have been centered for many years.
    Mr. LeBuhn was born at LeClaire in Scott County, Iowa, son of William and Amelia (Trettin) LeBuhn. His parents were born in Germany, his father in Hanover and his mother at Lauenberg, and they were married at Davenport. William LeBuhn came to America in 1853. For many years he had a locksmith and gunsmith shop at LeClaire and also owned a farm there. He died at LeClaire in 1890. There were six children in the family: William, Herman, Henry, Louis, Louisa and Carl. Only to are now living, the son Herman occupying the old homestead farm near LeClaire.
    Carl LeBuhn attended grade and high schools at LeClaire and had four years in the Iowa State College at Ames. He taught school there for three years, but since 1900 has been engaged in the work which has brought out his best talents. He was first with the Mutual Life Company, spending ten years with that organization. For three years he was general manager of the Phoenix Mutual Company and for the past fifteen years has been general manager for the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company with headquarters at Davenport, his territorial jurisdiction being in Western Illinois and Eastern Iowa.
    By his marriage to Martha Schultz he has a son, Richard, who graduated from Iowa State College at Ames in 1927 and now is in the insurance business with his father. Richard LeBuhn married Mable Blom and has a son, Donald. Mr. LeBuhn by his marriage to Hertha Schlump has two sons, Paul, born in 1927 and Carl, Jr., born in 1929.
    Mr. LeBuhn is a former president of the Davenport Underwriters Association. He is vice president and has been a member of the board of directors for three years of the Davenport Chamber of Commerce. He was one of the organizers and the first president in 1920 of the Kiwanis Club, a club founded on the broad principles of fellowship and the observances of the Golden Rule in business and the professions and devoted to community upbuilding. Mr. LeBuhn is a member of the Davenport Country Club, the Elks Club, the Turner Society and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. LeBuhn is a Presbyterian.

p. 52

    FRED WYMAN. In the character and activities of a few men Davenport still carries on in its old traditions as one of the great capitals  of the lumber industry of the Middle West. Mr. Wyman is closely linked with those traditions that at one time represented extensive interests in the lumber business.
    Mr. Wyman's mother was Anna Phelps, sister of John B. Phelps, who with James E. Lindsay in 1862 formed the partnership long known as Lindsay & Phelps Company, with headquarters at Davenport. This firm built a saw mill in 1866, and thereafter for years figured with increasing importance in the lumber development of the Northwest. It is significant that in the publication issued some years ago, entitled History of 100 Prominent Lumber Men of America, two of the names that came in for special consideration were John B. Phelps and james E. Lindsay. The Lindsay & Phelps Company continued as an organization until 1930.
    Mr. Wyman was born at Schroon, Essex County, New York, October 10, 1857, being a son of Daniel and Anna (Phelps) Wyman. He was educated at grammar and high schools at Crown Point and Westport, New York, and also took a course in a business college at Troy, New York. In 1878 he came west to Davenport and began in association and work with the Lindsay & Phelps Company, an association which was continued until the dissolution of the company in 1930.
    He is also president of the Southern Lumber Company, with holdings in Arkansas, is president of the Warren and Ouachita Valley Railway Company, is secretary of the Cloquet Lumber Company, with holdings in Minnesota, secretary and treasurer of the Sound Timber Company, with holdings in the States of Washington and Oregon; is vice president of the Richardson Land & Timber Company at Davenport. For many years he was president of the Southland Lumber Company of Louisiana, whose holdings were disposed of a few years ago.
    In 1887 Mr. Wyman married Miss Lillie Lindsay, daughter of James E. Lindsay. She died December 26, 1905. In 1917 Mr. Wyman married Mrs. Margaret Blair Lindsay. Mr. Wyman has one daughter, Mrs. Edith W. Wilson, of New York and two grandsons, Richard Wyman Wilson and John Oliver Wilson. Mr. Wyman is a member and trustee of the First Presbyterian Church at Davenport and a trustee of the Y.M.C.A., of both of which institutions he has been a large benefactor. he is also a member of the Outing Club, Davenport Country Club and Chamber of Commerce.

p. 81
    J. HENRY BENDIXEN is vice president and general manager of the Bettendorf Company at Bettendorf, Davenport. He has been closely associated with the founders of the business for a number of years, and since 1906 has held the office of vice president and manager of sales.
    He was born in Germany, June 12, 1870, son of Henry and Martha (Johanssen) Bendixen, who a few months after his birth came to America and settled at Davenport. J. Henry Bendixen was educated in public schools, learned the trade of machinist, and worked at his trade in davenport and Chicago for fourteen years. For four years he had charge of the machine shop of the Illinois Steel Company.
    Mr. Bendixen on returning to Davenport in 1894 was made assistant superintendent of the Bettendorf Axle Company, the world's largest manufacturer of steel railroad car equipment. Mr. Bendixen proved a very able ally of W.P. Bettendorf, the inventor and founder of the business since he was exceptionally well qualified in both mechanical and sales department of his business. In 1906 he became vice president and sales manager and he has continued in the same post since the death of W.P. Bettendorf and the reorganization of the company in 1913. Mr. Bendixen is also vice president of the Bettendorf Improvement Company and a director in the Bettendorf Water Company, Bettendorf Light & Power Company and the Westco-Chippewa Pump Company.
    His brother, Peter Bendixen, is another of the men who have through their mechanical or business genius contributed to the making of the Bettendorf Company, one of the greatest industries of Iowa. Peter Bendixen has been with the company thirty-five years,and successively as machinist, shop foreman, assistant superintendent and since 1917 as general superintendent of the company.
    J. Henry Bendixen is a member of the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club, the Spring Brook Golf Club, and the Treadway Rod and Gun Club. His brother Peter is a member of the Treadway Club, the Davenport Country Club, is a director of the Davenport Chamber of Commerce and is secretary of the Iowa Manufacturers Association.
    J. Henry Bendixen married in 1894, Johanna Kramp, who was born in Germany. They reared their nephew, Harry Kleeburg. Harry Kleeburg is married and has two children, Johanna Kleeburg and Henry Bendixen Kleeburg.
    Peter Bendixen married Margaret Mumm, a native of Germany. They have two children; Harold Henry, a graduate fo Purdue University, now a metallurgist with the Bettendorf Company, and Harriett, who is a graduate of the University of Iowa.

p. 158

    RT. REV. MGR. CHARLES J. DONOHOE, pastor of St. Paul the Apostle Church at Davenport, was the first and has been the only pastor of this parish, and its prosperity and upbuilding are the reflection of his earnest and zealous work since coming to Davenport twenty years ago. Davenport has been a very congenial field for him, not only because his work has prospered, but because he has found there working fellowship with the people of his own creed and all classes and denominations.
    Father Donohoe is a native of Iowa, born on a farm near Holbrook in Iowa County, October 4, 1873. His parents, James and Ellen (Balton) Donohoe, left Ireland at the time of the terrible famine of the late '40s, and, coming to America, first located in Canada, then at Joliet, Illinois, and from there sought the new lands of Iowa. In their journey to this state they crossed the Mississippi River on the ice before there was a bridge or railway over the stream. They went on out to Iowa City and started a home near what is now the town of Holbrook, taking up Government land. Some of the old homestead is still owned by their descendants. The land title was signed by President Fillmore.
    When Rev. Charles J. Donohoe was ten years of age his parents moved to Iowa City, where he attended public schools. Later he was a student in St. Ambrose College at Davenport and completed his theological education in St. Paul's Seminary at Saint Paul, Minnesota. He was ordained in 1899, after which he continued his studies for a year in the Catholic University of America at Washington. Father Donohoe for several years was a member of the teaching faculty of St. Ambrose College.
    In the fall of 1909 he accepted the assignment of Bishop Davis to form and build up the parish of St. Paul the Apostle. Bishop Davis several months earlier had secured the property at Tremont Avenue and Rusholme Street as the site of a church. A new congregation was to embrace all the territory north of Locust Street and east of Harrison Street. Father Donohoe accomplished his difficult task promptly and celebrated mass for the first time in the new church on December 12, 1909. St. Paul's Church was dedicated June 18, 1911. Then followed some busy years, attended by rapid growth in the parish, so that in 1915 the church was enlarged to more than twice its original size. St. Paul's now has a seating capacity of 650, and other provisions have been added to give the church opportunity for its full service in the parish. Its parochial school is one of the model school buildings of the city, and a convent has been built adjoining the school. In addition to the heavy responsibilities of building up the parish Father Donohoe has for a number of years been a director and secretary-treasurer of the St. Vincent's Orphanage Home. During the World war he was s four-minute speaker, assisting in the Liberty Loan and Red Cross drives. He is a member of the Kiwanis Club. October 20, 1929, he was made a domestic prelate, with the title of monsignor, by his Holiness, Pope Pius XI.

Harlan, Edgar Rubey. A Narrative History of the People of Iowa. Vol III. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931

p. 235

     HENRY RUNGE, who died August 13, 1916, was the founder of the Davenport business long known as the Henry Runge funeral directing establishment, now conducted by his sons Martin and Harry H., under the firm name of Henry Runge's Sons, proprietors of the Runge Mortuary. This was the first modern funeral conducting service in Davenport and has long been counted one of the real civic assets of the community. The business is located at 822-824 West Third Street, occupying a building erected by Henry Runge more than a quarter of a century ago.
     Henry Runge was born at Davenport, June 7, 1861, one of the nine children of Martin L. and Wilhelmina (Schwartz) Runge. His father came from Germany and after a brief residence at Chicago moved to Davenport, where he was connected with the packing business and for many years with the Davis Mill.
     Henry Runge grew up in Davenport, attended the common schools, and was a pupil in night school while serving an apprenticeship at the upholsterer's trade. He was employed in the upholstering and furniture business for twenty years, and after a special course in embalming at Des Moines organized the firm of Weiss & Runge. In February, 1896, Mr. Runge established his own business, and carried it on through the twenty years before his death. In 1902 he erected the Runge building.
     Mr. Runge was a very popular citizen and business man and was affiliated with many social and fraternal organizations, including the B.P. O. Elks, Knights of Pythias, and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He and his family were Lutherans. His first wife was Emma Tess, who died in 1886, leaving two children. On October 1, 1891, Henry Runge married Christina M. Juergensen and of the five children born to their marriage four grew up, Edna, Martin L., Harry H., and Henrietta.
     The proprietors and managers of the Runge Mortuary today are Martin and Harry H. Runge, both of whom were born in Davenport and were given liberal opportunities for an education. Both are graduates of the Hohenschuh College of Embalming at Des Moines and both had training in the business under their father before his death. In recent years they have remodeled the Runge Building, converting it into the first modern funeral chapel and funeral parlors at Davenport. The brothers are members of the National Funeral Service Bureau and the Mississippi Valley Funeral Directors Association, of which Martin Runge is a past president. They also belong to the Iowa State Association.
     Harry H. Runge married Frances Smith. Martin Runge married Mida Gilbarith, a native of Illinois, and has five children, Henry Charles, William Martin, Albert Fred, Joan and Joyce.

p. 340
     KALMAN SPELLETICH, who bears a name long honored and respected in Scott County, Iowa, where his grandfather, a Hungarian patriot, was one of the pioneer settlers, is a Davenport industrial leader, one of the heads of one of the largest organizations in the city's industrial life, the Gordon-Van Tine Company. The Gordon-Van Tine Company is a national organization, specialists in building material and ready cut materials for houses, and the corporation operates mills at Saint Louis, in Mississippi, and Washington, and ships material not only throughout the United States, but even to distant foreign lands. Gordon-Van Tine homes are found as far away as Japan and South Africa.
     The Gordon-Van Tine Company was established in 1865, when Davenport was one of the largest saw mill centers in the Mississippi Valley, receiving the logs after a short transport down the Mississippi and its tributaries from the pine forests of Wisconsin and Minnesota. The company has maintained its business and executive headquarters at Davenport long since the city ceased to be an important center of practical lumber manufacturing.
     Mr. Kalman Spelletich, the vice president of the company, was born on a farm in Scott County, Iowa, January 25, 1885, son of Michael and Isabelle (Stevens) Spelletich. He is a grandson of Felix Spelletich, a native of Hungary, a follower of the great Kossuth in the disastrous revolution of 1848 and at one time a governor general of a southern province in Hungary. Felix Spelletich after the collapse of the liberal movement in Central Europe came to America and in 1851 settled on the farm in Scott County, Iowa, where his grandson Kalman was born. He had endured imprisonment and other indignities as a result of his participation in the revolutionary movement and finally escaped and in disguise went to England. He came to America with a large group of cultured and prominent Hungarian families who were refugees. Another member of the same group was Nicholas Fejervary, who for many years was a leading citizen of Davenport. After his death his daughter gave their beautiful home and several acres of land to the city, and it is now one of Davenport's beauty spots and is called Fejervary Park. Davenport for three quarters of a century has owed much to the character and activities of these Hungarian colonists and their descendants.
     In 1867 Felix Spelletich returned to Hungary, after the old factional enmities had subsided and reared his family there. His son Michael had remained in America, on the farm in Scott County, and became a highly respected and prominent citizen, serving as justice of the peace and as a member of the school board. His brother Stephan Spelletich was a member of the old Second Regiment of Iowa in the Union army, and because of an act of bravery on his part in the siege of Fort Donelson became known as the hero of Fort Donelson and was given special recognition by Governor Kirkwood of Iowa.
     Mr. Kalman Spelletich was educated in the grade and high schools of Davenport, had his preparatory work in Chicago and in 1906 graduated Bachelor of Science from Princeton University. He has been with the Gordon-Van Tine Company for over twenty years, practically ever since leaving the university, and has been in every department of the plant, a training that has stood him in good stead as the present executive head of this great business. He was promoted to sales manager and vice president, and is also vice president of the U.N. Roberts Company, manufacturers of mill work and lumber at Davenport. Kalman Spelletich married, in 1917, Hilda Von Korff, a native of Davenport. Her grandfather, Jacob Nabstedt, came to Davenport in 1870 and for many years was in the jewelry business. The Von Korffs were a family of German nobility. Mr. and Mrs. Spelletich have four children, Hilda Kaye, Kalman, Jr., Madeline and Stephan Michael.
     Mr. Spelletich's business activities are centered in the Gordon-Van Tine Company and its allied organizations, one of which is the McClellan Company of which he is secretary. He is a member of the Davenport Chamber of Commerce, Outing Club, as one of the founders and first secretary of the Country Club, is on the vestry of Trinity Cathedral, Episcopal, and a trustee of Saint Katherine's School of Davenport.

p. 72
    DAVID W. KIMBERLY, state senator from Scott county, has the distinction of having the longest continuous service of any present member of the State Legislature. Senator Kimberly, whose home is at 924 East Locust Street, Davenport, has been a substantial factor in the agricultural and civic affairs of Scott County for many years.
    His birthplace was one of the most turbulent and romantic mining districts of the great West, Deadwood, South Dakota, where he was born August 6, 1878, while that was still one of the great mining centers. His parents, Amos E. and Mary (Wilson) Kimberly, moved back to Iowa in 1884, settling at West Liberty in Muscatine County. His mother is still living at West Liberty. David W. Kimberly attended school there, the Springdale High School, and finished his education with a course in the Bryant and Statton Business College in Chicago. Most of his life since early manhood has been spent on a farm.
    Senator Kimberly married Elsie King of Chicago. He is prominent in the Masonic and other fraternities, being a member of the Golden Rule Lodge No. 24 of Cedar County, is a Knight Templar and thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason at Davenport, member of Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine, Mohassan Grotto, and Order of the Eastern Star. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, B.P.O.Elks, Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Owls, and Turners Society.
    Mr. Kimberly was first elected a member of the Legislature and the House of Representatives in 1914 and reelected in 1916. He was elected to the Senate in 1918, 1922, 1926,and 1930, and has given the people of Scott County a record of fourteen years of consecutive service with four more years in office. He has represented them well, and without any pecuniary profit to himself.

p. 180

    HERMAN HEESCH has to his credit a long and successful record in the real estate business. He started life as a farmer, a very successful one, and began dealing in farm lands without any thought of making it a permanent business. He is now senior member of the firm Heesch, Carstens & Tallmon, a real estate and insurance organization with offices at 117 West Third Street in Davenport.
    Davenport is Mr. Heesch's native city. He was born there July 4, 1860. His parents were both natives of Germany. His father, Christian Heesch, was an early settler in Davenport. He was a cabinet maker by trade, and worked for the old Gould Furniture Factory and later started a business of his own, known as the Northwest Davenport Furniture Factory.
    Herman Heesch had only a few years of schooling at Davenport. When he was thirteen years old he was working as a farm hand and for several years was paid twenty dollars a month. He saved, and thriftily made use of his advantages so that before he was a man in years he had accumulated an initial capital of $1,000, which started him on the larger career of an independent farmer. For sixteen years he was a farmer and stock raiser in Poweshiek County, near Grinnell, and at the end of that time had accumulated capital to approximately $30,000. When he started out to buy a farm of his own he could not immediately satisfy his demands, but in the meantime was able to locate some desirable farms for friends. The judgment he used in selecting lands became well known and resulted in a nucleus of clients which continually extended until he was permanently identified with real estate work, at first confining his attention to farm lands and later to city property. During the past twenty-seven years he has became widely known all over the Middle West as well as in Iowa as an expert judge in the buying and selling of farm property. He has been a member of the firm of Heesch, Carstens & Tallmon at Davenport for a quarter of a century. He also is proprietor of the Saint James Hotel at Davenport.
    Mr. Heesch married, in 1884, Hannah Wittson and after her death he married Mrs. Lund. He has four children: Walter Irwin Heesch, of Pontiac, Michigan; Alva; Mrs. Veda Keedler; and Raymond, a student in Iowa State College at Ames.
    In former years Mr. Heesch has had an active part in the Davenport Chamber of Commerce and the local real estate board. While living at Grinnell he served as county road supervisor and was instrumental in bringing in the first road grader to that part of the state. he has been very progressive at all times. Mr. Heesch is credited with having introduced one of the first tractors for farm and ranch work into North Dakota. he is a Knight Templar and a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, being affiliated with Trinity Lodge No. 208 and Zarephath Consistory of the Scottish Rite at Davenport, and is a former member of the Patrol of Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a Baptist.


W. J. Bock

William J. Bock, who passed away September 7, 1926, was recognized as one of the able and influential lawyers of Spirit Lake and his section of the state.  He was born in Walcott, Scott county, Iowa, on the 26th of February, 1882, and is a son of Henry and Charlotte (Stockdale) Bock, who were married in 1870 in Davenport, Iowa, to which city the Stockdale family had moved some years previously from Cleveland, Ohio, where the mother was born.  The father was a native of the province of Schleswig-Holstein and in 1854, at the age of ten years, was brought to the United States by his mother, his father having died in Germany.  The mother settled with her family of five children in Geneseo, Illinois, where her son Henry was reared.  After completing his school education, he learned the trade of harnessmaking and after his marriage settled in Walcott, Iowa, where he ran a harness shop for a number of years.  Later he moved to Lake Park, Dickinson county, where he was engaged in general mercantile business for about twenty years, but in 1922 sold his store and moved to Sioux City, where he and his wife are now living retired, at the respective ages of eight-two and eighty-one years.  They also have a home at East San Diego, California, where they have spent the winters for a number of years.

William J. Bock attended the public schools and graduated from the Lake Park high school in 1898.  He then entered the State Normal College, where he received a degree in didactics in 1900, completing a four-year course in two years and six weeks.  He next became a student in the law school of the State University of Iowa, where he took the three-year course in two years and was graduated, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, in 1903.  He had planned to enter Yale University, but at that time a brother who had been assisting his father in business died and William J. Bock took his place in the store, assisting his father until the business was sold.  In 1906 he began the practice of law, opening an office at Lake Park, where he remained for fifteen years, building up a large clientage and a splendid reputation as a successful lawyer.  On November 1, 1921, he moved to Spirit Lake, where he remained until his demise, taking his place in front rank of the attorneys of this city.

On October 17, 1920, Mr. Bock was united in marriage to Miss Madge Rukenbrod, of Decatur, Illinois,  She was for four years a teacher in the Spirit Lake public schools and for nine years a teacher in the Sioux City schools.  Fraternally Mr. Bock was affiliated with the Masonic order, belonging to Lake Park Lodge, No. 527, A. F. & A. M.; Zaraphath Consistroy, No. 4, A. A. S. R. of Davenport, Iowa; and Kaaba Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., at Davenport.  He was also a member of Minnewaukan Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  In his political views he was a republican and was prominently identified with political affairs but never sought public preferment, his only public office being that of county attorney, in which he served for four years.  He was a man of forceful personality, a strong and effective speaker, and during the years of his professional work in this county was identified as counsel with most of the important cases in the local courts, in which he enjoyed a very gratifying measure of success.

B.F. Arp

Among those who have achieved success in their respective lines of business and have also contributed in a very definite measure to the general prosperity and development of the community in which they live, Ben Franklin Arp, member of the grocery firm of Arp Brothers, at Spirit Lake, is entitled to specific mention, for he has shown an enterprising and progressive spirit that has gained for him a high reputation in the business circles here.  Mr. Arp was born in Spirit Laek on the 1st of June, 1884, and is a son of Peter and Mary Dorothea (Bluedorn) Arp, who were natives of Germany.  They came to the United States with their respective parents, the voyage of six weeks being made in a sailing vessel.  Both families settled in Scott County, Iowa, among the early pioneers.  The father was a ship carpenter by trade and bought a boat house and built boats for the trade.  In 1882 he came to Spirit Lake, bought a house on East Okoboji lake and built and operated pleasure boats.  He died in 1891, or the following year, and was survived many years by his widow, whose death occurred in 1918.

Ben F. Arp secured his education in the public schools of Spirit Lake and, his father being in moderate circumstances, was compelled at an early age to earn money.  When a lad of thirteen, he went to work in a clothing store, where he remained eight years, when, concluding it was time for him to begin working for himself, on November 1, 1905, in partnership with his twin brother, Walter Leonard Arp, he established the present grocery firm of Arp Brothers.  During the twenty-two years that they have been in business they have not only enjoyed a gratifying measure of prosperity but have at the same time commanded the confidence and respect of all who have dealt with them, for they have conducted their business according to the highest standards of ethics, square dealing, prompt service and uniform courtesy marking their relations with their patrons.

In 1907 Mr. Arp was united in marriage to Miss Pearl C. Swailes, of Spirit Lake, daughter of James A. Swailes, one of the well known farmers, cattle buyers and business men of Dickinson county.  Mr. Arp is a member of Twilight Lodge, No. 329, A. F. & A. M.; Spirit Lake Chapter, No. 132, R. A. M.; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.' Abu-Bekr Temple of the Mystic Shrine; Twilight Chapter, No. 59, Order of the Eastern Star, of which he is worthy patron and Mrs. Arp worthy matron; and Calvary Shrine, No. 18, Order of the White Shrine of Jerusalem, of which Mrs. Arp is a past high priestess.  Mr. Arp has taken deep interest in everything pertaining to the progress and prosperity of his city, being president of the Spirit Lake Commercial Club and active in educational and civic work.  His business activity and helpful interest in civic affairs has made him a valuable asset in community progress.

H.A. Dessel

Regular in habit and methodical in action, Henry A. Dessel was able to perform duties as varied in character as they are successful in result.  Well defined plans and purposes carried him into important business relations and his activities also extended to the field of public service.  High honors were bestowed upon him by the Masonic order, and his death in June, 1924, was distinct loss to Ida Grove and also to the state.  A native of Germany, he was born January 27, 1861, and his parents, Henry W. and Marie Anna (Figge) Dessel, were also born in that country, where the father passed away in 1861.  The mother remained in the Fatherland until 1867, when she brought her family of six children to the United States and purchased a farm in Winneshiek county, Iowa.  The remainder of her life was spent in this state, and in 1909 she was called to her final rest.

Henry A. Dessel was reared and educated in Winneshiek county and in 1881, when a young man of twenty, came to Ida county, securing a position as clerk in the store of his uncle, at that time a prominent merchant of Id Grove.  He acted in that capacity for about three years and in 1884 engaged in the hardware business in Holstein.  He was appointed postmaster of the town and subsequently was elected auditor of Ida county.  He filled that responsible office for eleven years,  displaying rare qualities as a public servant, and then entered the lumber industry.  He was engaged  in that business both in Holstein and Battle Creek, Iowa, and was very successful in his undertakings.  He was keenly alive to every new avenue opened in the natural ramifications of the trade and brought to the solution of intricate business problems unerring judgment and a broad grasp of affairs.  In 1919 he retired and established his home in Ida Grove, where he passed away at the age of sixty-three years.

Mr. Dessel was twice married.  His first wife was Miss Ottilie Witt, of Davenport, Iowa, and they were the parents of two children; Arthur, who died in infancy; and William Henry, who enlisted for service in the World war and died at Camp Dodge, Iowa, in 1918.  Mr. Dessel's second union was with Miss Julia Jacob, a native of Wheeling, West Virginia, and a daughter of A. M. and Mary Julia (Woods) Jacob, who were also born in that state.  They came to the middle west in 1877 and for four years the father operated a tract of land near Ida Grove.  In 1881 he bought a farm in the vicinity of Arthur and eight years later sold the place, purchasing a farm adjoining Ida Grove.  There he lived until his demise in 1892, and Mrs. Jacob passed away in 1914 at the advanced age of eighty-six years.

Mrs. Dessel survives her husband and capably manages her business interests.  She is affiliated with the Episcopal church and takes a leading part in the social life of the community.  She was engaged in teaching for a quarter of a century and enjoyed an enviable reputation as an educator, serving for three years as superintendent of  schools of Ida county.  Mr. Dessel was a member of the Unitarian church and contributed liberally toward its support.  He was very active in county affairs and his support was always to be relied upon in the furtherance of projects for civic development.  He was one of the most prominent Masons in the state and in recognition of his services to the order was honored with the thirty-third degree, which he received in Washington, D. C.  Scrupulously honest in all his business dealings, he left to his family the heritage of a good name - a possession which is more to be desired than great wealth.



GEORGE T. BAKER, DAVENPORT. -  Member of State Board of Education, was  born, July 9, 1857, on a farm in Iowa county, Iowa.  He was educated in the district schools of Iowa, Hall's school for boys, at Ellington, Conn., McClain's 
academy at Iowa City, and the State University of Iowa.  He remained one  year at the state university and then completed four years of special work in  civil engineering at Cornell University, Ithaca, class of 1879.  During the  years  from 1879 to 1889 he was engaged in railway location, construction  and maintenance work, after which he was chief engineer for the high bridges  built across the Mississippi river at Muscatine and Clinton, and consulting  engineer of the high bridge at Winona, Minn.  From 1892 until January,  1910, he was engaged in general construction work on railways, paving, sewerage,  water works, and heavy building construction.  Served as a member of the  general assembly in the twenty-sixth regular and special session, was elected  mayor of the city of Davenport in 1898, serving two years, and was  delegate-at-large to the
democratic national convention in 1900.  Member  State Board of Education since 1909.  A democrat.

LOUIS E. RODDEWIG, DAVENPORT. -  Member of State Board of Assessment  and Review, was born March 4, 1880, in Davenport, Iowa, where he has made his  home continuously.  Attended State University of Iowa, graduating with  degree of LL.B. in June, 1906, elected police magistrate 1906 and served until  1916.  Elected mayor of city of Davenport and served from April, 1924, to  April, 1928.  Practiced law in Davenport, Iowa, for the past twenty-seven  years.  Member
of American Bar association; Iowa State Bar association and  Scott County Bar association.  While at the university was a member of Phi  Delta Phi legal fraternity and the Phi Delta Theta fraternal society.  Other affiliations, Knight Templar, Scottish Rite Mason, Shrine, Knights  of Pythias, B. P. O. Elks, Moose, Eagles, and member of Episcopal church.  Appointed to the State Board of Assessment and Review by Governor Herring,  July 1, 1933, for a six-year term. A democrat.



MAURICE FRANCIS DONEGAN, DAVENPORT. - Judge of the Supreme Court, was born on a farm near Welton, Clinton county, Iowa.  He attended the local district school and DeWitt high school.  He later attended Creighton college, Omaha, Nebr., from which he received the degree A.B., and also Georgetown university, Washington, D. C., from which he received the degree A.M.  He began the study of law at Georgetown University and continued it at the State University of Iowa, where he received the degree L.L. B., in 1901.  He began the practice of law in Davenport, Iowa, the same year, and from 1903 to 1908 was associated with E. M Sharon in the firm of Sharon & Donegan.  From 1908 to 1912 he was city
attorney of Davenport, and from 1912 to 1921 he was judge of the district court, from which office he resigned and entered private practice.  In 1932 he was elected associate justice of the supreme court of Iowa.  A democrat.


DAVID W. KIMBERLY, DAVENPORT. - Senator from the twenty-first district, Scott county, was born in Deadwood, S. D. August 6, 1878.  When he was six  months old his parents moved back to West Liberty, Muscatine county.  He  has lived
on the farm most of his life, receiving his education at the West  Liberty, Springdale high school and Bryant-Strattons business college of  Chicago.  He was married to Elsie King, of Chicago.  He is a member of  the Mystic Shrine, Knights Templar, Scottish Rites, Mohassan Grotto, Eastern  Star, Elks, Eagles, Odd Fellows and Turner society.  Was elected  representative in 1914 and re-elected in 1916, and to the senate in 1918, 1922,  1926, and 1930.  A republican.


CHRISTIAN GRELL, Donahue. - Representative from Scott county, was born in Allen's Grove township, Scott county, Iowa, August 19, 1878, of German and Swiss descent.  Educated in the common school, having attended school only during winter months after ten years of age, but continued an annual review of the work for several years by attending school after having graduated in the eighth grade at the age of fourteen.  Active in community athletics, social and literary activities, accepting the faith of Christian Science religion.  Married February 28, 1906, to Miss Alice A. Mohr, and to this union were born seven children, four girls and three boys.  Engaged in agricultural pursuit of farming, stock feeding and dairying, later engaging in saw milling as a side line, specializing in manual training supplies and farm machinery repair stock.  Has been a member of local school board and held office of justice of the peace for some twenty years.  Is a charter member of the farm bureau and member of the county board of supervisors for many years.  Served as county president of Farmers Educational and Cooperative Union of Scott county five years.  Sponsor of the Farmers Protective Association of Iowa.  Elected to the state legislature in November, 1932.  A democrat.

WILLIAM G. NOTH, DES MOINES. -  Member of the Finance Committee of the  State Board of Education, was born in Davenport, Iowa, and resided there continuously until his appointment as a member of the finance committee of the  Iowa
State Board of Education in 1931.  Educated in public and commercial  schools of Davenport; trained in banking and associated with different banks  there.  Was elected clerk of the district court for a period of two years;  and city
treasurer of Davenport for eight years.  Served in the World War.  A democrat. 

American Ancestry: Giving the Name and Descent in the Male Line of Americans Whose Ancestors Settled in the United States Previous to the Declaration of Independence A. D. 1776";  Published by Joel Munsell's Sons;  Vol. XI;  1898: 

PECK, Robertson Irish of Davenport Iowa, b. there July 6, 1871, grad. in medicine and surgery at the state univ. of Iowa, 1892, finished his education in Vienna, and is now a practicing physician and surgeon (m. Dec. 29, 1892 Maude Leighton Ritchie of colonial desc.); son of Washington Freeman Peck of Davenport, Iowa, b. Galen, N.Y. Jan. 22, 1840, d. in Davenport Dec. 12, 1891, grad. Bellevue med. coll., house surgeon in Bellvue hospital 2 years, government surgeon at Washington D. C. in civil war, moved to Davenport, surgeon there, prof. of surgery and dan of faculty in Iowa 1869-91, member many medical societies, medical writer, etc. (m. Sep. 18, 1865, Maria Bissell Purdy [dau. of Merritt Purdy, see Purdy lineage] and had Jessie Allen [m. Henry Vollmer, see Vollmer lineage], Mary Alida and Robertson I. above); son of William Peck of Clyde N.Y., born on S ep. 1, 1819 , d. in Wolcott, N.Y. Oct. 12, 1886 (m. in Mar. 1839 Alida Hawes, b. in Kinderhook N.Y. Aug. 16, 1824, of Dutch desc., dau of Simon Hawes, m. Kate Clapper Oct. 2, 1813 and gr.-dau. of Zachariah Howes [and Sally Race], who came from Holland and settled in Kinderhook N.Y.); son of Aschel Peck of Butler N.Y., b. in Greenwich Ct. Dec. 15, 1772, d. in Butler Oct. 12, 1852, large land owner (m. July 16m, 1795 Mary Lull, d. Oct. 5, 1864); son of Nathan of Mt. Washington Urbana N.Y., b. in Greenwich, Ct. Nov. 17, 1744, d. in Mt. Washington after 1810, soldier in Capt. Noble Benedict's co. of Danbury Ct. 1775 (m. Sep. 16, 1769 Sarah Tinney, b. Mar. 22, 1746, of Scotch desc.); son of John of Greenwich Ct., b. there 1718, d. there 1771 (m. 1741 Sarah Adams); (Note: the line goes back to William Peck of New Haven, Ct., b. in London Eng. 1601, d. in New Haven Oct. 4, 1694, who came to Boston Mass. with Gov. Eaton, Rev. John Davenport and others.