Clippings from Davenport , Iowa newspapers, 1901 –
Pasted into an old copy of A History of England, [by]
Miss Martha M. Porter, 133 Fulton Ave., Davenport, Iowa
April 15, 1903 [Inscription on flyleaf of “scrapbook”]

Submitted and transcribed by: Mary Jane Anderson


[Hand-dated 1914] 

The death of Mrs. Margaret Moore Stewart occurred Sept 23rd at her late home at Marshalltown, Ia.  Mrs. Stewart, who was 84 years old, was a former well known resident of this vicinity and the remains were shipped here on Thursday for interment in the family lot in Campbell cemetery east of town.


                Mrs. Helena J. Porter, residing at 197˝  East third street, Davenport, died at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon at Mercy hospital.  She was born in Pleasant Valley township, Nov. 27, 1852, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. W. Clemons, life long residents of that place.

                The deceased was married December 13, 1873 to James A. Porter who survives her death. Other survivors are the two children, Frank L. Porter of Pittsburgh, Pa., now with the A.E.F. and Mrs. Frank R. Davis of Street, Md.; four sisters, Mrs. Florence Briggs of Ivor, Va., Mrs. Mary Lobdell of Davenport, Mrs. G. W. Spohn of Elkhart, Ind., and Mrs. A. P. Randolph of Pleasant Valley; a granddaughter, Helena Maynard Davis.  A brother, Frank B. Clemons, preceded her in death a number of years.

                Mrs. Porter was active in missionary and benevolent work. She had a host of friends who will mourn her death.

                The body may be viewed by friends at the Horrigan funeral parlors until one hour before the services which will be held Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 o’clock at the Pleasant Valley church. Interment will be in the Pleasant Valley cemetery.


Charge of Buckshot Fired by Carl Briggs Proves Fatal

                Frank Clemons, who was accidentally shot by his nephew, Carl Briggs, while the two were hunting rabbits on Wednesday, yesterday succumbed to the shock caused by the sudden charge of buckshot entering his knee. A wife and five children are bereft by his death and nearly every farm in Pleasant Valley township is saddened at the tragic death of the popular farmer.

The accident occurred on Wednesday morning and on that evening it was thought Mr. Clemons was on the rapid road to recovery. A relapse set in during the night, however, and he died at 10 o’clock. Clemons and his nephew were hunting. A rabbit sprang up in front of them, and while Briggs was drawing his gun around it caught in the weeds and was fired, the shot tearing into Mr. Clemons knee.

Value of Assets in Wilson Estate to Total $50,000

                A report filed by inheritance tax appraisers in the estate of William Wilson shows that a valuation of about $50,000 has been placed on the assets listed. The assets include 114.55 acres of land in Davenport township valued at $20,000; money on deposit amounting to $10,328.16; mortgages and loats, $18,814.22, and liberty bonds $1,378.16.  W. M. Dougherty, Joseph Shorey and Byron Rumsey are the appraisers. James W. Wilson is executor of the estate.



Pioneer Resident Called by Death at His Home  Near Princeton

                Finley Porter, a pioneer resident of  Scott county, died early Saturday morning at the home of his son, J. D. Porter, two miles west of Princeton.  Death terminated a long illness at the age of 78 years.

                Mr. Porter was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1835, but settled on a farm in Scott county when a young man.  In 1859 he was united in marriage with Mary Ann Doherty, who died 11 years ago.

                Surviving are three sons, J. D., Princeton; William, Malone, Ia., and Joseph of DeWitt; five daughters, Mrs. P.H. McGinnis, and Mrs. Henry Birney, Princeton; Mrs. Elmer Carber and Mrs. Harry Carber, McCausland and Mrs. George Little, LeClaire; one brother, Robert Porter of Chicago and one sister, Mrs. Littlepage of Oregon.

            Mr. Porter had been retired for a number of years. He was for thirty years an elder of the Presbyterian church at Princeton. The funeral service will be held at 2 o’clock this agternoon from the Salem Lutheran church west of Princeton, the Rev. C. Memmott, pastor of the Princeton Presbyterian church officiating.  The pallbearers will be H. C. Baxter, Wm. Haines, David Paul, Joseph Bowley, James Douherty, and S. I. Porter.  Misses Ella Schmalz and Dr. S. R. Fulton will sing at the services.  Interment will be made in the church cemetery.       


                At the residence of J. W. Gaghagen, 828 East Fifteenth street, where she had resided for the past year and a half, occurred the death of Mrs. Mary Jane Yocum at the age of 85 years, 5 months and 14 days, the fatal ailment being due to pneumonia.

                The deceased, whose maiden name was Mary Jane Ash, was born in Alexandria, Huntington county, Penn., Sept. 26, 1820.  She was united in marriage to James Yocum on March 16, 1843, and in November of 1855 came to Iowa and settled on a farm near Summit, in Lincoln township, which place was for many years the family home.

                Her husband, as well as all three children, have preceded her to the grave.  These children were C. Dallas Yocum, David A. Yocum, and Charlottee Irene Yocum. The surviving relatives are a sister, Mrs. C. E. Atherton of Sanborn, Ia., and three grandsons, James C. and Sam T. of McCausland and Charles B. of Chicago.

                Mrs. Yocum was a devoted member of the Summit Presbyterian church and the funeral services will be held at that church on Wednesday at 12 o’clock.  There will be short services at the home at 9:30 o’clock.


                Mrs. Mahala Barr passed away at the home of her son, Canada B. Barr, of Grinnell, Iowa, at 5:30 p.m. yesterday.  The body will be brought to this city and interment will be at Summit cemetery.  Mrs. Mahala Barr was born in Frankstown, Huntington county, Pennsylvania, Jan. 18, 1837.  Her maiden name was Mahala Redman.  When she was theree years old the family moved to Piqua, Ohio.  At this place she was united in marriage to William Barr in 1853.  Eight children were born to them, three dying in infancy.  Those still living are Scott W. Barr, LeClaire, Iowa; Mrs. Charles Vogt, Davenport; Canada B. Barr of Grinnell; Mrs. Rose Wilson of Pleasant Valley; and Mrs. M. J. Scandrett of Prescott, Wisconsin.

                Mrs. Barr came to Iowa with her husband and three children in 1861, and lived for a short time in Davenport.  They soon moved, however, to a farm a few miles southwest of Argo, where she lived until the death of her husband in 1893.  After that she continued to live there for four years longer with a son and daughter, until in 1897 she left her old home.  Since then she had lived among the children.

                She united with the Summit Presbyterian church as soon as she moved into that community, and for more than thirty years she devoted herself to Christian work there.  Upon leaving the Summit neighborhood she continued her Christian work with the Belmont Aid society of which organization she was a member and for a long time president.

                The funeral service will be held at 3 o’clock tomorrow afternoon at the summit Presbyterian church.  Rev. Gray will officiate.  The body arrived in Davenport today at noon.

[hand-dated 1904] 


                Word comes from Princeton of the death of Mrs. John Brown, who died there Saturday afternoon at the age of fifty-five years.  Stomach trouble is said to have been the cause of her death.  Her husband and five children survive her.  They are Albert,  J. L. M., and Misses Mae and Verne Brown of Princeton and Mrs. Anna Brown of Mason City.  The funeral was announced for this afternoon from the Princeton home with interment in the Princeton cemetery. 

May 10, 1917 


LECLAIRE, Ia., May 10—(Special)  James McFate, Sr. passed away at his home in LeClaire at 11:30 o’clock last night after a long illness with a complication of diseases.  He was born June 14, 1837, in Pennsylvania and came west with his parents in 1842.  He had resided in the vicinity of LeClaire ever since with the exception of two years and ten months spent in the army durng the Civil war.  He was a member of the Twenty-second regiment of Pennsylvania cavalry.

                On Dec. 28, 1965, Mr. McFate married Miss Nancy Brown.  She survives with the following children:  Frank W., James, John, S. A., Ella and Lillian of LeClaire and Mrs. Francis Henderson of Lone Grove.


LECLAIRE, Ia., May 14—(Special)  The funeral of James McFate was held from the home Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock.  Rev. W. R. Irvine of the LeClaire Prairie U. P. church of which the deceased was a member, officiated.  The church choir sang.  Interment was in LeClaire cemetery.  At the grave W. Pinneo of Princeton, spoke in brief of the pioneers of Scott county of whom there were a number present from Davenport.  The Civil War veterans were represented by J. D. Barnes and J. H. Wilson who presented a flag to be placed on the grave. 

                The pallbearers were Nattie Wilson, T. J. Wilson, Chalmer and Samuel Moore and George and J.  L. Brown.

[Hand-dated Jan 11, 1916] 


                Robert Porter, 74 years old, died yesterday at his home in Chicago and the body will be brought to Davenport for burial in Oakdale cemetery tomorrow afternoon.  Mr. Porter was born in Ireland and came to America 45 years ago.  For a number of years he lived on a farm five miles west of Princeton, Ia., and ten he removed to davenport where he engaged in the livery business.  Upon his retirement he moved to Chicago.  His wife, whose maiden name was Mary Ann Stewart, died several years ago.  They were married in LeClaire township.  He is survived by one son, Albert of Chicago, a daughter in Kansas City, and the following nieces and nephews, S. I. Porter, James Porter, Mrs. P. H. McGinnis, and Mrs. Henry Birney, of Princeton, Mrs. Harry Carber and Mrs. Elmer Carber of McCausland and Joseph and Will Porter of Clinton county.  Mr. Porter was a brother of Finley and William Porter, both pioneers of Scott county, now deceased.  He is well remember by many of the older residents of Princeton and LeClaire townships.,

                The funeral will be held from the home in Chicago and only short services will be conducted at the grave.


Frank Irish commits suicide Following Unsuccessful Love Affair

                Jilted by the girl he loved and in bad financial straits, Frank H. Irish, proprietor of a livery business at 326  East Locust street, poured the contents of a bottle of carbolic acid into a soda water glass and drained the receptacle.  The act was committed at the livery barn at 3:30 o’clock yesterday afternoon.

                A note left by Irish gives as a reason for the act the fact that the girl to whom he was engaged had refused to marry him and that he was worried over financial difficulties.

                The livery barn proprietor had been brooding for some time because of his unrequited love for the girl and because of financial distress.  Charles Keeler holds a first mortgage upon the deceased’s property and yesterday a chattel mortgage was filed with the county recorder on his horses.

                At 3 o’clock Irish was in apparently his usual spirits, and left instructions with the hostler at the barn to clean the harness.  He then retired to the office.

                Fifteen minutes later Stacey, the helper, heard Irish moaning and upon entering the office found his employer stretched out on the lounge with the empty glass and bottle lying, together with the note, upon the floor beside him.

                Dr. E. O. Ficke was summoned but the man was dying upon his arrival, and the coroner was swnt for.  The body was removed to the Bowling & Horrigan funeral parlors and a post mortem examination was performed last evening.

                The deceased was born Oct. 28, 1876, in Davenport, and had lived here since that time.  He had worked at various occupations in the vicinity of Davenport, being employed on the arsenal for several years and working on a farm near here for several years.  For the past year and a half he was employed at the Locust street livery. 

                Survivors are two sisters, Mrs. Gertrude Larkin and Mrs. Harry Ade of Davenport, and one brother, Judson Irish, of Fordyce, Mo.  The date of the funeral will not be set until the time of the brothers arrival is known.




Suicide Leave Note to Relatives But Contents Have Been Suppressed—Known to Have Quarreled With Sweetheart

                What promised to be one of the most puzzling cases ever brought to the attention of a Scott county coroner was cleared up last night when a post mortem was held on the body of Frank Irish, who died late yesterday afternoon at his livery barn at Locust and Iowa streets.  The absence of severe burns around the moutn and throat and the lack of odor of acid caused the coroner to make an extensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding the suicide, but the autopsy showed conclusively that he had taken a large quantity of carbolic acid.

                According to intimate friends of the dead man he had had a quarrel with the woman with whom he had been keeping company, and this is supposed to have caused him to take his life.  Since that time he had been despondent.

Had Been Down Town

                Acording to B. W. Stacy, who is employed at the barn, Irish returned from down town shortly after 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon, and after passing a few remarks with the men working in the harness room, announced that he was going into the back office and lie down for a while.  As he had been suffering for some time with a slight pain in his side, nothing was thought of it.

                A few minutes later Stacy had occasion to go to the office for something, and hearing a peculiar noise opened the door between the rooms.  Irish was lying on the floor, a light froth on his lips, and bleeding profusely from a cut on his head.  Stacy immediately ran out of the barn for assistance, and secured Patrolman Moeller, who called the ambulance and notified the police of the occurrence.  The police called Dr. O. E. Ficke, who arrived at the barn within a short time after Stacy had given the alarm.  A few moments later Irish expired without regaining consciousness, and the body was removed to the undertaking parlors of Bowling & Horrigan.  Coroner Cantwell at first announced that there would be no inquest, as all the witnesses were agreed that the case was one of suicide.

Makes Close Examination

                Later in the evening, however, the coroner visited the undertaking rooms in company with a Times representative, and discovered that there were few indications that acid had been used by Irish.  The small cut in the head also seemed to be insufficient to cause the large pool of blood that was found on the floor near the bed.  The coroner immediately revisited the scene of the tragedy and  made a close examination of the room.  He failed to find the bottle which contained the acid, but discovered a broken bottle upon which Irish is supposed to have fallen and inflicted the wound upon his head.  Coroner Cantwell then ordered an autopsy, which was held later in the night by himself and Dr. F. H. Lamb.

                The autopsy showed that a quantity of carbolic acid had been taken and terrible burns had been inflicted internally.  A closer examination also showed that slight burns had been made on the tongue and throat.

Leaves Note to Family

                Coroner Cantwell refused to allow newspaper men to inspect the note left by Irish, but persons who read it when it was discovered stated that it told of a disappointment in love.  This is thought to have been the cause of the suicide. 

                Irish had been the owner of the livery barn since last August, and was well known over the city.  Less than an hour before the act was committed he was in various places down town, laughing and joking in his usual manner, and giving no indication that he contemplated suicide.  He made his home with his sister, Mrs. Gertrude Larkins, 1208 Fourth Avenue, Davenport.



                Rev. Mott R. Sawyers, secretary of the Davenport Y.M.C.A., former pastor of the Mt. Ida Presbyterian church, will preach the ordination sermon of Tuesday evening at the Summit Presbyterian church, for the ordination of the Rev. Kepler Van Evera.

                Rev. Mr. Johnson of Marengo, moderator of the Iowa City presbytery, will preside at the business meeting which will be called at 7 o’clock for the examination of the candidate for ordination, and the public meeting and program will be open to the public at 7:30.

                Rev. Scott W. Smith of Cedar Rapids will deliver the charge.

                Mr. Kepler, who has been preparing for work in the foreign field, will sail with his wife, a bride of the past month, from San Francisco, September 7, on the steamer Nile of the Pacific mail line.  The station where Mr. and Mrs. Van Evera begin their labors is in China.

                Mr. Van Evera comes of one of the old and well known farming families of Scott county, and his ordination to the ministry will attract a large number of his friends from Davenport and vicinity.

 Greene Funeral

                The funeral services of the late Allen James Greene were held at 11 o’clock this morning from the Summit church, the Rev. J. F. Jamieson of Des Moines officiating.  Interment was made in the Summit cemetery. 

                Mr. Greene died at 9:30 o’clock Sunday morning at the home of his son, Wesley Greene, secretary of the State Horticulture society, in Des Moines.  He was born near Yellow Springs, Blair county, Pennsylvania, January 10, 1821.  In 1849 he came to Iowa, but did not locate permanently until April, 1855, when he purchased land in Scott county, near Davenport.

                Mr. Greene’s paternal ancestors came from England in 1635, settled at Warwick and took a prominent part in establishing the Providence plantation, which in 1663 was changed  to Rhode Island.  His maternal ancestors came from England in 1745 and settled near Quebec, Canada.  Both grandfathers served in the War of the Revolution, and his father, Samuel L. Greene, participated in the War of 1812. 

                Mr. Greene was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church, serving as an elder for more than forty years, always taking an active part in church and educational work.  He was methodical in his work as the tick of the clock, and lived at peace with his conscience and his God.

                February 6, 1845, Mr. Greene was united in marriage with Sarah Ann Sharon.  Of this union two sons are living, Dr. Edwin Greene of Arcadia, Fla., and Wesley Greene of Des Moines.  Mrs. Greene died in 1890.


                Allen Green, until two years ago a resident of Scott county, died Sunday morning at the home of his son, Wesley Green, secretary of horticulture, at Des Moines.  Mr. Green for many years was a well known farmer of this county, retiring about 12 years ago.  He was aged about 91 years at the time of his death.  The body will arrive in Davenport late this evening and will be taken to the chapel of the M. V. Boles company.  The funeral party will leave the chapel at 8 o’clock tomorrow morning for the Summit church, where the services will be held and burial made.  The Rev. Mr. Jamieson of Des Moines will conduct the services.


Many friends in this part of the country were surprised to hear of the death of Charles Brown which occurred at his late home in Atlantic, Iowa.  The end came very unexpectedly on Sunday, March 17.  Altho he had been in poor health nearly a year, but had been confined to his bed only two days previous to his death.  Mr. Brown and his family lived in this community for a great many years, and were widely known.  They moved to Atlantic, Iowa ten years ago when for some time Mr. Brown engaged in farming but for several years past he has been mail carrier on one of the rural routes from Atlantic.

It was with deep regret that his old friends here of Charles Brown of Atlantic Ia., read of his death on the 24th.   He was best known to us in connection with the Crook’s family band of singers of which he was one.  They sang at our big celebrations and on many other public occasions.  He was about 58 years of age and came to Scott county when six years of age where he lived till 1900 when he moved to Atlantic.  Mr. Brown was ever an honored, upright citizen and a strict God fearing church member.

Porter file #5


MUSCATINE, Ia., June 13—Sheriff Fred Nesper, his deputy, Jack Pace, and a score of volunteer workers today were continuing their search in the Mississippi river for the body of Sheldon Lobdell, Montpelier, who was drowned in the river shortly after 5 o’clock yesterday afternoon.

According to Roy Phillips, also of Montpelier, he and Lobdell, after finishing their day’s work yesterday near Montpelier, where they were employed as section hands decided to go swimming.

They went to the river and had been in the water but a short time when Lobdell, apparently, stepped off a sand bar into a deep pocket.

Phillips went to the aid of his companion, he said, but Lobdell obtained a strangle hold on him and he was unable to aid the drowning man and had to fight to release himself.

The sheriff was called and responded with Dr. W. S. Norton, county physician, and the pulmotor. Dragging of the river started immediately, the sheriff said, bud due to the fact that there was a strong current at the spot where Lobdell fell, it is feared that his body may have been washed down the river.

Rev. L. H. Gillham Accepts Pastorate

Rev. L. H. Gillham, assistant pastor of the South Park Presbyterian church, will close his work in Rock Island next Sunday, leaving during the last week in January, to take up a pastorate near Sedalia, Mo., on Sunday, Feb. 5.

Rev. Gillham and his wife will attend a Young Peoples Day service at South Park Sunday morning. The assistant pastor will make a brief farewell talk to the young people of the church among whom he has been specially active during his work here.

Rev. Gilham came to Rock Island about 18 months ago to be the assistant pastor of South Park.

His new church at Greenfield, Mo., near Sedalia, is a community church formed by the consolidation of several denominational congregations.


The Summit Presbyterian church will observe its seventieth anniversary with an all-day program Friday, July 6 at the church near Davenport. The day’s events will begin at 10 a.m. and appropriate programs will be given both in the afternoon and evening. A basket lunch will be served at noon.

All friends and former members of the church are invited to attend the celebrations. The Rev. Jerry Johnson, pastor of the Winnebago Presbyterian church in St. Louis, who was pastor of the Summit church 26 years ago, will be the principal speaker. The complete program will be announced later.

Vogt Body Will Be Returned Here for Services Tuesday

The body of Charles Vogt, former Scott county resident who died recently in Canada, will be returned to Davenport Monday afternoon and will be taken to the Hill & Fredericks mortuary where funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday. Interment will be in Oakdale cemetery. Mr. Vogt, who was a supporter of 4-H club work in Scott county, died in Canada recently from injuries suffered in a fall last year. The body was placed in a mausoleum there following the services.


Mrs. Rebecca McDowell, a resident of Scott county for the past 66 years, died yesterday at 11:10 at her home, 1330 ˝ Ripley street, following a three week illness. She was 85 years of age. Mrs. Mcdowell was born on October 9, 1843. She was married to Jonathon McDowell on Feb. 15, 1865. She was a member of the First Presbyterian church.

She is survived by one daughter, Miss Bertha McDowell, at home; one son, J. P. McDowell of Eldridge; a sister, Mrs. Mary Smyth of Sisterville, W. Va.; and four grandchildren.

The body was taken to the Horrigan home for funerals and services will be held there Monday at 1:15 p.m. and at the Summit Presbyterian church at 2:30 p.m. Burial will be in the Summit cemetery.


William T. Dixson, a native of Scott county, died Thursday in Walnut, Ia., according to word received here. He was born May 5, 1857 in Scott county and moved to Walnut 30 years ago. Mr. Dixson was the son of Sanford and Priscilla Dixson, Scott county farmers. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon in Walnut.


Helena J. Porter Begins a Suit Against J. A. Porter

The domestic troubles of J. A. and Helena J. Porter of Pleasant Valley were brought into court today when the latter, through her attorney, J. A. Hanley, filed a suit for divorce, the custody of her two minor children, $2,000 alimony, and costs of action.

The petition states that they were married at Pleasant Valley, Dec. 18, 1873, and lived together until September, 1904. A few years after they were married the plaintiff claims that her husband began to mistreat her. He engaged in teaming and had five or six teamsters board at their house, but refused to allow help for Mrs. Porter in the kitchen, until finally she was compelled to hire of her own volition, for which act he abused and mistreated her. Though he had half a dozen horses he compelled her to walk six miles whenever she wanted to see her mother. Lately Mrs. Porter has been supporting herself by giving music lessons and taking borders.


Suit Begun by Filing Papers On Wednesday Settled and Dismissed on Friday

Judge Barker has entered an order dismissing the divorce case of Helen Porter of Pleasant Valley against J. A. Porter. The suit was begun on Wednesday, the plaintiff charging her husband with a long list of cruelties and indignities, and on Friday the order was entered dismissing the case. In the two days intervening the parties to the suit got together and effected a settlement. J. A. Hanley represented the plaintiff.


Mrs. Belle Hire of Clinton and Mr. James Porter of Princeton, Ia., were married at 5:30 o’clock yesterday afternoon at the parsonage of the LeClaire Presbyterian church. Rev. C. E. Thompson, the pastor officiated, using the ring service. The attendants were miss Ruth L. Thompson and Mrs. C. E. Thompson.

Mr. Porter is an elder in the Presbyterian church of Princeton, of which Rev. Thompson is also the pastor. The new home will be on the Porter farm, two miles west of Princeton


LECLAIRE, Ia., Aug 24—(special)—The body of Mrs. Martha H. Porter, who passed away at Uray, Colo., arrived in LeClaire Tuesday evening, was taken to the home of her daughter in law, Mrs. M. C. Kirby. The body of Mrs. Porter was accompanied by her son, Robert S. Kirby. The funeral will be held at the Summit church with burial in the Summit cemetery.


Invitations have been issued for the marriage of Miss M. Luella Dixson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Z. Dixson of 2007 Iowa street, Davenport to Mr. John H. Rothermel of Davenport. The event will be celebrated Wednesday, June 28, at the home of the bride’s parents. The groom is employed in the Wm. L. Evans barber shop and both he and his bride have many friends.


A pretty home wedding of the week took place last evening at the residence of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Z. Dixson, 2009 Iowa street, Davenport, when their daughter, Miss Luella, was united in marriage to Mr. John H. Rothermel of Davenport. About forty of the relatives and intimate friends composed the wedding company. Palms, carnations and roses were profusely used to decorate the parlor where the ceremony took palace. La France roses were effectively used. A mandolin orchestra provided the nuptial music, the strains of the Mendelssohn wedding march resounding at the hour of the ceremony half after 8 o’clock. The bridal couple entered the parlor, unattended taking their places before a bank of palms anf ferns that filled the space between the west windows, where the service was impressively said by Rev. Mott R. Sawyers of the Second Presbyterian church. The mandolins sounded softly throughout the ceremony.

The bride was gowned in white French batiste with trimmings of Vallenciennes lace and medallions, and she carried a bouquet of pink and white sweet peas.

A wedding luncheon followed, the dining room being done in red and green. A large cluster of Roosevelt carnations formed the table centerpiece with red shaded candelabrum at either end of the fern strewn cloth.

The happy couple departed on a late train for Des Moines where the honeymoon will be spent. The bride’s going away gown was of light grey cloth worn with a Colonial toque. They will be at home after Aug. 1 at 731 Kirkwood boulevard, Davenport.

The bride is a sweet and lovable young woman who has been the recipient of numerous social attentions during the past few weeks. The groom is connected with the Evers barber shop and is a well known Davenport young man.

Miss Grace Shimer of Decatur, Ill., was an out of town guest.

October 16, 1901


The marriage of Miss Frances Rothermel, daughter of Mrs. K. Rothermel to Paul McSteen, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. McSteen, was solemnized at 8 o’clock this morning at Sacred Heart cathedral. The ceremony was performed at 8 o’clock by Very Rev. James Davis. The bride, attended by her brother, John Rothermel, walked up the main aisle, proceeded by the maid of honor, Miss Mabel Jackson of Minneapolis and Master Raymond McSteen of Kansas City, page; and Miss An McGuirk of Davenport, flower girl; while Cleo McCormack played the wedding march from Lohengrin.

At the altar, banked with potted plants and clusters of American Beauty roses, the bridal party halted and were met by the groom, attended by Harry McFarland, groomsman, and Rev. Davis. During the ceremony, the organist played softly, the music changing into Mendelssohn’s wedding march as the bride and groom left the altar.

The bride was gowned in white peau de soi trimmed with point lace. She wore no veil and carried bride’s roses. The maid of honor wore pink crepe de chine over pink silk and carried pink roses.

The church was filled with guests, but following the ceremony, only the immediate relatives and friends of the contracting party drove to the home of the bride’s mother, 1512 Harrison, street, where a wedding breakfast was served. The table decorations were American Beauty roses and smilax. After the breakfast, toasts were given by A. P. McMahon, Rev. Davis and Harry McFarland. Mr. and Mrs. McSteen left at noon for Chicago and from there will visit in the east. They will return to Davenport and be at home at 914 Grand avenue after Nov. 15. As the bride left the house her wedding bouquet was thrown and was caught by Miss Florence McSteen, who got the ring contained therein. Among the out of town guests at the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. J. P. McSteen of Kansas City, Miss Kate Rothermel of Cincinnati.

[died 23 Nov 1926; clipping hand dated Nov 26, 1926]

The Dixson Funeral

Funeral services for Jay E. Dixson were held Friday afternoon from the family residence, 1212 Scott street, conducted by the very Rev. Marmaduke Hart, dean of Trinity cathedral. Interment was in Oakdale cemetery.

The services were strictly private and members of the family acted as pallbearers.

[hand-dated Oct 11th, 1924]


Announcement is made of the marriage of Miss Dorothy F. Dixson of 1212 Scott street, to Carl Ploehn, son of Mrs. Meta Ploehn of Bettendorf. The wedding was a ceremony of 11 o’clock Saturday morning taking place at the residence of attorney and Mrs. Wayne Cook in Iowa City, formerly of Davenport. There were no attendants and after the wedding breakfast the bridal couple left on a motor trip.

The bride wore a gown of brown georgette and chenille with ostrich trimmings in the wood shades. Her hat was in the shades of brown in a velvet model. Mr. and Mrs. Ploehn will be at home after Dec. 1 at 114 Hazelwood avenue, Davenport where a pretty bungalow awaits their return.

The bride is a graduate of the local schools and has been connected with the A. P. Griggs Music company for the past several years.

Mr. Ploehn is a well known Davenport business man connected with the French & Hecht company.

The Liquidation Corp., represented by J. W. Bollinger, attorney, started suit against Carl H. and Dorothy Ploehn to foreclose a mortgage for $5545 on McClellan Heights property. Appointment of a receiver is asked.




Prominent Fruit Raiser Who Spent His Life in Valley Township Expires at St. Luke’s Hospital

Frank Clemons, the well known fruit farmer who lived near Valley City, near Davenport, died this morning at 9 o’clock from the results of the accidental shooting yesterday morning. He and his nephew, Ward Briggs, were out hunting rabbits, as was told in yesterday’s issue of the Times, and the accidental discharge of the shot gun in the hands of Briggs caused the charge of bird shot to take effect in Mr. Clemons’ body Dr. Lambach of Davenport was called and found the condition of the wounded man to be serious. He had him removed to St. Luke’s hospital. Everything possible to be done was done, but the injury was of such a nature as to be fatal.

Frank Clemons was 55 years of age and was born in Pleasant Valley township where he resided during his life. He was the son of Squire S. L. Clemons, one of the best known men in the county, who survives his son. Frank Clemons leaves his wife, one daughter, and four sons. He was greatly interested in fruit and berry culture and was one of the best informed and most successful men in this line in Eastern Iowa. His reports of conditions of fruit and berry crops have frequently appeared in the newspapers and have always been esteemed as most accurate.

Died of the Shock

Dr. Lambeth said today that the cause of death was shock, that while Mr. Clemons regained consciousness for a few hours, it was impossible to restore the circulation. The wound was in a hole an inch and a half in diameter, torn in the knee at the joint where the whole charge of shot took effect at close range. There will be no inquest.

[Hand-dated Feb 18, 1922]


A wedding that will come as a happy surprise, and call forth the best wishes of the many friends of the bride and groom was that of Miss Gertrude Dixson , daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Z. Dixson, 1212 Scott street; and John H. Ohde, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ohde, 2223 West Second street.

The wedding ceremony was performed at 9 o’clock Saturday morning, at Trinity Cathedral, Dean Marmaduke Hare reading the marriage services in the presence of the immediate families and intimate friends of the bride and groom.

The bride’s gown was of rust crepe, trimmed in paisley, with ht of corresponding colors and she wore a corsage of Sweetheart roses. The ceremony was followed by a wedding breakfast at the home of the bride, where the chosen colors of orchid and pink were appropriately carried out; the house being decorated with baskets of sweet peas and roses.

The bride and groom left on a short trip east, and will be at home after March 1 at the Perry apartments.

The bride is a well known Davenport young woman having been employed at the post office as bookkeeper.

The groom is the district manager of the California Associated Raisin Co., of Fresno, Calif., for this district.


Mrs. Frank Ohde and Mrs. Harry Bartlett are hostesses this afternoon at the Bartlett home, 2501 Iowa street, Davenport, to honor Mrs. John Ohde, whose marriage was solemnized last Saturday. There are six tables surrounded in the games. Bouquets of sweet peas , roses and hyacinths carry out the wedding colors of pink and orchid. Tea will be served at the small tables, the chosen shades to be noticed in the table appointments. There is a party gift for the bride. Mrs. Ohde was formerly Miss Gertrude Dixson.

[July 1911]



Came to Iowa When a Territory—Funeral Tuesday Afternoon at Home

L. W. Clemons of Pleasant Valley, one of the oldest residents of Scott county, died Saturday evening at his country home after an illness extending over five months. The end came after a period of five months patient suffering. Owing to his extreme old end was not unexpected by his family.

Mr. Clemons came of good old New England stock. The branch of the family to which he belonged came from Scotland in the seventeenth century settling in Connecticut. L. W. Clemons was born in Stratford, Conn., April 27, 1826. He moved to Iowa when it was still territory in 1846, and settled in Davenport. He opened a shoe shop in that year and lived in Davenport for four or five years. He was much interested in the early development of the city and took a prominent part in its affairs. Later he purchased a farm in Pleasant Valley township and that place had been his home until the time of his death.

He engaged in general farming, but gave his attention more particularly to the fruit growing business, having at the time of his death one of the finest fruit farms in Scott county. By his industry and hard work he became one of the most prosperous farmers in the county.

He was married to Miss Emily Wilcox in 1847. Mrs. Clemons survives him with five daughters and one son. They are Mrs. Briggs, Mrs. Lobdell, and Mrs. Porter of Pleasant Valley, Mrs. Spohn of Elkhart, Ind., Mrs. L. Randolph of Pleasant Valley, and Charles F. L. Clemons, who has lived with his father for forty years. He leaves also 25 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren. Another son, F. B. Clemons, was accidentally shot while hunting eight years ago and died as a result of his injuries. A sister of the deceased is living at Bristol, Conn. A brother, two years older, died a year ago at Ansonia, Conn.

The funeral will be held from the family home Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock with interment in the Pleasant Valley cemetery. Rev. W. H. Blancke, pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran church of Davenport will have charge of the services.

All Congressmen Should Be converted Christians Says Candidate Clemons

Ruin Threatens, If God Is Forgotten Believes Pleasant Valley Prophet


Finds Political Precepts in Bible—Superintendent of Sunday School.

"For the nation and kingdom that will not serve Thee shall be utterly wasted."—Isaiah, 60.12

All Congressmen ought to be Christians, the Bible should take the place of the time-worn constitution and the Golden Rule and not log rolling and the demands of a representative’s constituents should be the acid test to which every political measure should be subjected.

This is the idea of Charles F. L. Clemons, Pleasant Valley farmer, who has entered the race for the seat for congress left vacant by the death of the late I. S. Pepper and who is confident of making big inroads on the vote cast for Henry Vollmer, Democrat, Harry Hill, Republican and C. P. Hanley, Bull Moose nominee.

We have long been told that congress is composed of corrupt politicians, that the trusts control the law making machinery and that votes not bought and sold, are at least exchanged for a monetary consideration. We have had many reformers who have had scores of plans for reforming the governing body of the country.

Christianize Them All

But none of our reformers have gone as far as Mr. Clemons, who would start off with Christianizing all congressmen. Mr. Clemons does not care much about the tariff, the income tax, the currency question, government ownership of public utilities and the scores of other dead issues that congress is frittering away month after month in considering. He admits that these questions have their importance but he sees larger rocks ahead of the ship of state.

There is to be no stumping of the Second district in the Pleasant Valley prophet’s campaign. He is staging no political meetings, has planned no rallies, has no campaign manager or no congressional committee and treasurer. He has announced his candidacy, making it known in the official way by sending in his papers to the secretary of state. And now he is waiting and praying, confident that this will be of more avail to him than an unseemly scramble for votes.

Should Pay Debts

There is one thing outside of Christianity that Mr. Clemons is interested in. It is the diplomatic relations of the United States and Columbia. The Roosevelt coup by which Panama was recognized and the United State got control of the Canal Zone he does not believe was a strictly honorable dealing with a foreign country. So the Pleasant Valley sage is in favor of paying Columbia a few million to recompense her for the loss of a valuable strip of territory. The neutralization of the Canal Zone and the Mexican situation do not attract his interest.

"Would you be n favor of endorsing the record of President Wilson?" Mr. Clemons was asked. "I don’t believe it is necessary for me to give my position on things which are past but if elected to congress I will be able to work in harmony with any party. Why should I not? I have no set ideas as to how every question should be decided. I am for no party. I would simply apply to every measure that came up the Golden Rule," the Pleasant Valley man answered. "I stand today an independent Christian believing in God with all my heart."

Those who have read the Bible, of which Mr. Clemons has been a life long student and who are familiar with the inspired words of the prophet Isaiah, will recall that in the 60th chapter and 12th verse one may read "Fro the nation and kingdom that will not serve Thee shall perish: yea those nations shall be utterly wasted." Now the United States of America has not always followed in the path of the righteous and unless the country turns from its evil way Mr. Clemons sees the star of its destiny sinking rapidly into oblivion.

Just Like Babylon

Babylon became ungodly and fell. Carthage bowed down to the greedy and bloody god Moloch, and perished. Imperial Rome became corrupt and also went the way of the wicked. Here is our great country rapidly falling away from the true faith and its ruin impending. "Christianize your congressmen and all will be well says Mr. Clemons.

Mr. Clemons is a religious zealot through and through. Tall and straight of figure, with a full beard streaked through with grey and piercing blue eyes shining out from a clear and saintly face, he would attract attention at any gathering.

He openly admits that he has never been a politician. He does not believe that that has much to do with the qualifications of a congressman. But he does believe that being a Christian is an important thing to be considered and this phase in his life he is strongly emphasizing in his campaign.

Tells of Conversion

Born on his father’s farm 43 years ago Mr. Clemons has lived an uneventful life up to the present time. Three months before he attained his majority he converted to Christianity at a revival service conducted by J. V. Updike. Since then he has always been interested in things religious.

For a time he was a member of the local Salvation Army corps, playing in the band and singing on street corners, with no winter night too cold and no summer day too hot for him as the call for the saving of sinners came.

At the present time Mr. Clemons is superintendent of the Lutheran Sunday school of Pleasant Valley. He is not a member of any denomination believing to be a Christian is enough.

[hand-dated Jan 28, 1920]


A quiet double wedding in Iowa City that comes as a happy surprise to friends in Davenport and Bettendorf was that of Miss Helen Harriet Porth of Bettendorf to Mr. Howard McCauley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sam McCauley of East Twelfth street and that uniting Mrs. Alice Porth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Knabbel of Bettendorf to Mr. John Herbert Willis of Bettendorf. The ceremonies took place Wednesday afternoon at two o’clock in the office of the officiating justice. T. E. Murphy, in Iowa City. The brides are sisters-in-law and the couples were attendants for each other. The brides were attired alike in blue serge suits, with blouses of blue georgette crepe and hats to match. Both couples returned to Davenport the same day and the knowledge of the double wedding was kept secret until today. Mr. Willis is a painter with the Davenport Locomotive Works. For the present he and his bride are residing at the Knabble home at Bettendorf. Mr. McCauley is a car repairer with the Tri-City Railway Co. He and his bride will make their home at the Porth residence in Bettendorf. Both couples will go to housekeeping in the spring.

To Mark Birthday

Mrs. A. P. Randolph, Bettendorf, R.R. No. 1, will be honored on Feb 1, at a family party marking her 78th birthday which is an event of that date.

Her son, Victor A. Randolph of Bettendorf, R.R. No. 1, will give the party in her honor. Mrs. Randolph has seven children: Charles of Davenport, Floyd of Galesburg, Orville of Welton, Ia., Mrs. Ruth Green of Davenport, Mrs. Sam Clark of Geneseo, and Mrs. Edward Clow of Rock Island. Mrs. Randolph also has 28 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. She has been a reader of the Davenport Democrat for 54 years.

Celebrate Sixty-third Anniversary

Wilton, Ia., Dec.13—(Special)—Yesterday marked the sixty-third anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Port, well known residents of this city. Mr. and Mr. Port are Cedar county pioneers, where they were married and lived until 35 years ago when they retired and came to Wilton. Both are in good health for their years, taking active part in church work and enjoy life to the fullest. A family gathering will be held at Christmas, so there was no special observance of the anniversary.



Swede Claims That He Had It in Pocketbook and It Disappeared in a Saloon

Luther Lindahl, who states that his home is in Linn Center, Ia., claims to be minus some $30 that was stolen from him in the red light district yesterday morning and Mohn McGee and Jay Dixon, two young men of that district, were arrested last evening while the mater is being investigated.

As near as can be ascertained from the story of the police Lindahl came to town with a big wad of money and proceeded to put a quantity of it in circulation. He succeeded fairly well night before last and yesterday morning found his way to several of the saloons just this side of the government bridge.

It was while he was in one of these that the man claims to have lost a pocketbook filled with bills to the amount of $30.

It is understood that the two men who are held were in the saloon when he claimed to have lost the money.

No charge has been preferred against the young men as yet, and they are simply being held while the matter is looked into and the officers find out what there is to the story. In the meantime the young men have employed Attorney C. T. Cooper to defend them should any charges be brought.

May 20, 1940

To Speak Sunday At Mt. Ida Church

After more than 25 years as an educator, preacher and pastor, Dr. Karl Frederick Wettstone is coming back to Davenport to occupy, for a day, his first pulpit.

He will speak Sunday in the Mt. Ida Presbyterian church, East Twelfth street and College avenue, preaching at the regular 10:45 service and possibly at a special service in the evening. He was pastor of the church from 1915 until March, 1918.

Dr. Wettstone’s career reads like a page from fiction.

A native of Nervi, a residential suburb of Genoa, reputed birthplace of the great Columbus, son of a protestant missionary, Dr. Wettstone was educated in private schools in Italy and France before coming to America to complete his education at the age of 15.

Awarded a scholarship in the University of Dubuque, Dr. Wettstone was graduated in 1913 with the degree B.A. and as valedictorian of his class at the age of 19. He entered the Presbyterian seminary at Dubuque in the fall and graduated in 1916 with the degree B.D. at the age of 22. He was ordained the same year although he had been serving the Mt. Ida church in Davenport as supply pastor for a year. He became full time pastor and remained until 1918 when he accepted a call to the Peters Memorial Presbyterian church in St. Louis.

After six years in St. Louis, Dr. Wettstone resigned to become president of the University of Dubuque, at the age of 29. He was one of the youngest, if not actually the youngest college president in the United States.

[Caption under a photograph, early 1940s]


Ten more young men from Davenport and Clinton left last night for Des Moines for induction into the navy. Those in this picture are front row, left to right, Lawrence D. Romine, Davenport; Richard C. Arp, Davenport;

Frederick M. Graap, Davenport; Kenneth E. Hayes, Davenport; and Carl D. Ploehn, Davenport; second row, Robert A. Border, Davenport, Clayton C. Bohstedt, Davenport; Robert K. Jackson, Clinton; and Curtis R. Ohsann, Clinton. (Times photo).


Weds June 21

Mr and Mrs H. C. McCauley of 2509 LeClaire street, Davenport, announce the engagement of their elder daughter, Miss Katherine Shirley McCauley, to Finley A. Boyer, son of Mrs. Roy C. Underholt of LeClaire.

Monday, June 21, the 22nd wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. McCauley, has been selected for the nuptials which will be in the Mt. Ida Presbyterian church at 8 p.m. A reception will follow in the church parlors.

The bride was graduated from the Davenport school. Mr. Boyer attended the Davenport and LeClaire schools and is employed at the Riverside Power plant of the Iowa-Illinois Gas & Electric Co.

A series of prenuptial parties is being arranged for the bride-elect.


Miss McCauley and Finley Boyer Name Wedding Attendants

When Miss Katherine McCauley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. McCauley of 2509 LeClaire street, Davenport, walks down the aisle of the Mt. Ida Presbyterian church at 8 p.m. Monday, June 21, the date of her parents’ 22nd wedding anniversary, to become the bride of Finley A. Boyer, son of Mrs Roy C. Underholt of LeClaire, she will be attended by her sister, Miss Margaret McCauley, as maid of honor; the bridegroom-elect’s sisters, the Misses Helen and Dorothy Boyer, as the bridesmaids, and little June Ann Runge, daughter of Mr and Mrs Chris Runge, as flower girl.

Howard Kruse will serve Mr Boyer as best man, and the ushers will be Jim Knapper and Harold Auliff.

The Rev. Warren Johnson will perform the ceremony, which will be followed by a reception in the church parlors.

The bride-to-be was honored at a miscellaneous shower given Monday evening by her sister, Miss Margaret McCauley, at which there were games of court whist at three tables. Appointments were in the chosen colors of blue and white. Miss Mabel Robers of LeClaire is entertaining for Miss McCauley on Friday evening.

[ca 1943-1945]

February Bride

Mr and Mrs H. C. McCauley of 2509 LeClaire street, Davenport, announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Margaret Jean McCauley, to Pvt. James A. Carroll, son of James Carroll of LeClaire. Vows will be spoken early in February at the Mt. Ida Presbyterian Church.

The bride-elect, a graduate of the Davenport high school, is employed in the main office of the Rock Island arsenal. Pvt. Carroll was employed at the arsenal before entering the service a year ago last September. He is stationed at Hendricks Field in Sebring, Fla.

[ca 1945]


Sergt. Finley P. McGinnis, son of Mrs. Rebecca McGinnis, 644 River drive, has been given an honorable discharge from the army and has become a member of the McGinnis funeral home.

McGinnis, who served for six months with the 15th AAF in the Mediterranean theater, entered the service on Oct 5, 1942. He trained in this country at Robbins field, Ga., and Jefferson Barracks, Mo. While overseas he was a surgical technician attached to a Flying Fortress group. He wears the Good Conduct bar and the European theater of operations campaign ribbon.

[ca 1943-1945]

McCauley-Carroll Wedding on Feb. 8

Miss Margaret Jean McCauley, whose engagement was announced this month, has chosen Tuesday, Feb. 8, as the date of her marriage to Pvt. James Carroll of Hendricks field, Sebring, Fla.

Vows will be spoken at 8 p.m. at the Mt. Ida Presbyterian church with the Rev. Warren Johnson officiating. A reception will follow at the McCauley home.

Miss McCauley will have her sister, Mrs. Finley Boyer, as matron of honor. Miss Gertrude Carroll of LeClaire, sister of Pvt. Carroll, and Miss Marian Boldt of Davenport will serve as bridesmaids. The flower girl will be June Ann Runge. Finley Boyer will serve as best man.

Mrs. Ed Dreese of LeClaire entertained for Miss McCauley at a miscellaneous shower at her home last night, 12 guests being present. Sixteen friends will fete the bride-elect at a miscellaneous shower tonight at the home of Mrs. Finley Boyer, 2509 LeClaire street.

On Sunday evening Mrs Chris Runge of Routh No. 1, Bettendorf, will entertain 12 guests at a linen shower at her home. Miss McCauley’s co-workers at the Rock Island arsenal main office will honor her at a dinner Wednesday evening at the Ft. Armstrong hotel. Covers will be laid for 12

[ca 1943-1945]

Miss McCauley Weds Pvt. James Carroll at Evening Ceremony

Miss Margaret McCauley, daughter of Mr and Mrs H. C. McCauley, 2509 LeClaire street, Davenport, became the bride of Pvt. James A. Carroll, son of James Carroll of LeClaire, at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Mt. Ida Presbyterian church, with the Rev. Warren Johnson officiating.

Mrs. Finley Boyer attended her sister as matron of honor, and bridesmaids were Miss Marian Boldt of Davenport and Miss Gertrude Carroll of LeClaire, sister of Pvt. Carroll. The flower girl was June Ann Runge. Finley Boyer served as best man, and ushers were Arthur Eckhardt and Chris Runge.

The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, was attired in a white satin gown styled on princess lines and trimmed with Chantilly lace. Her lace-edged veil was held with a tiara of seed pearls and her only jewelry was a diamond lavaliere, a family heirloom worn by her sister at her wedding. She carried a bouquet of white bridal roses.

Mrs. Boyer wore a peach taffeta dress with a fitted bodice and bouffant skirt. The bridesmaids were dressed in identical gowns of ashes of roses and each carried a bouquet of spring flowers. The flower girls dress was of light blue taffeta with a ruffled skirt. Following the wedding, a reception was held at the McCauley residence. Mrs. Arno Schrieffer and Miss Lenore Schutter presided at the tea table, and assisting were Miss Dorothy Abel, Miss Marguerite Davis, Miss Dorothy Boyer, and Mrs. Harry Boyer. The couple left on a short wedding trip with Mrs Carroll choosing a red suit with a black topcoat and matching accessories for her going-away outfit.

The bride, a graduate of the Davenport high school, is employed in the main office of the Rock Island arsenal. Pvt. Carroll was employed at the arsenal before entering service a year ago last September. He is stationed at Hendricks field in Sebring, Fla., where he will return. His bride will remain in Davenport at present.

[ca 1944-45]

H.L Boyer; E. O’Brien

Two LeClaire men, Pfc. Harry L. Boyer and Pvt. Ernest O’Brien recently met in Italy, where they were able to spend an afternoon and evening together and, incidentally, to attend an American movie. Both veterans of the African, Sicilian and Italian campaigns, this was the first meeting of the two soldiers since going overseas.

Pfc. Boyer, the son of Mrs Roy C. Underholt, LeClaire, is serving with the combat engineers and has been overseas since April, 1943. He entered the service in December 1942, and received his "basic" training at Ft. Knox, Ky. He is a former employee of the Rock Island arsenal.

Pvt. O’Brien, who has been with the army infantry since April, 1941, received his "basic" training at Camp Claiborne, La., and went to Ireland in January, 1942, finishing his training overseas. The son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward O’Brien of LeClaire, he was employed by the Iowa Silver Plating works before entering the service.

Weds Pastor of Mt. Ida Church

Miss Dorothy Theiss, daughter of Mrs. Olga Theiss DuBois of Storm Lake, Ia., will become the bride today of Warren Johnson, student pastor of Mt. Ida Presbyterian church, Davenport, son of Mr and Mrs H. J. Johnson of Bronson, Ia. Vows will be spoken in the Lakeside Presbyterian church in Storm Lake.

The bridal couple are expected in Davenport Saturday as Mr Johnson will fill the pulpit as usual on Sunday. They will reside in the manse.

The bride has been an instructor in English and speech at the high school in Olin, Ia. Mr. Johnson will complete his studies at the University of Dubuque this month, after which he will be ordained to the ministry.

Larkin Funeral

Funeral services for Mrs Gertrude Larkin were held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Horrigan home for funerals with the Rev. Warren Johnson officiating.

Pallbearers were Gilvert Townsend, J. Ward, R. Benson, H. Garlock, L. Joslin and R. Ade.

[post 1940]

Former Moline Man Weds in California

Announcement has been received here of the marriage of Miss Kathleen Lorraine Wynee, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. F. Wynee of Long Beach, Calif., and Jack E. McCauley, son of Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Dohrn, formerly of Moline and now of San Bernardino, Calif.

Mr. McCauley is with the navy and the couple are residing at 1914 Appleton street, Long Beach, Calif.

The Dohrn family left Moline for California about two months ago.

Mr. McCauley was born in Bettendorf and attended schools there and in Moline before joining the navy in January, 1940.


Mrs. C. Gaghagen, 81, A Life Resident of Scott County, Dead

Mrs. Caroline S. Gaghagen, a life resident of Scott county, died suddenly this morning at her home at 2509 LeClaire street, Davenport. She was 81 years old.

Born in Scott county, Sept. 3, 1861, she was the daughter of Rudolph and Maria Ruch. She received her education in the county rural schools, and was married in Davenport on Jan. 7, 1884. Following their marriage, the couple farmed in Lincoln township, a mile west of the Summit church, until retiring and moving to Davenport in 1918. Mrs. Gaghagen was a member of the Summit Presbyterian church.

Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Herbert McCauley, Davenport; a sister, Mrs. A. L. Cool, Eldridge; a brother, August Ruch, Davenport, and two grandchildren.

The body was removed to the Hill and Fredericks mortuary where it will remain until Monday morning, when it will be taken to the Summit Presbyterian church. Services will be held there Monday at 2:30 p.m. with burial in the Summit cemetery.

[June 21st, 1921]


A marriage which comes as a surprise to many friends took place this morning at 10 o’clock at the manse of the Broadway Presbyterian Church, Rock Island when Miss Vera Gaghagen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Gaghagen of 2509 LeClaire street, Davenport, became the bride of Mr. Herbert McCauley, of 1333 Twelfth street, Davenport. The ceremony was performed by Rev. John M. Stevenson and the attending witnesses were Mr. and Mrs. J. A. McCauley of Rock Island. The bride wore a suit of navy blue tricotine, trimmed in braid, with a corsage bouquet of sweet peas. After the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the home of Mr and Mrs J. A. McCauley of 2621 Fifth and one-half avenue, Rock Island, for the immediate families. They left on a wedding trip west and will be in Davenport after July 1.

The bride is a graduate of Davenport high school and later attended Iowa state college at Ames, Ia. The groom received his education in the Davenport schools. He is employed as an electrician by the Tri-City Railway Co.


Mrs August Ruch of 514 East Garfield street, Davenport, entertained a group of ten young women last evening at her home as a post-nuptial attention for Mrs Herbert McCauley, formerly Miss Vera Gaghagen. The hours were spent hemming tea towels for the honored guest. Supper was served at a table charmingly decorated with hollyhocks. A silver candelabra with pink tapers graced the center of the board. There was a party gift for Mrs. McCauley.


The funeral of Chas. W. Kirby was held Saturday from the late residence, Rev. Mott Sawyers officiating. Mr Kirby was very well known in his neighborhood and in Davenport, and was a man of exemplary character. For many years he was superintendent of the Sunday school at Summit church. He was born in Cincinnati, O., Jan. 8, 1863. His father died when he was but three years old and he made his home with George Beard near Princeton. In 1886 he was married to Miss Malvina S. Walker, and since their marriage, they have lived in Scott county all the time with the exception of two years spent in Cass county. He is survived by Mrs. Kirby and by four children, Walter R., Robert Howard, Lelia May, and Stella Maria. He is also survived by his mother, Mrs. Wm. Porter, and by a brother, Robert, in southern California.