Thomas Peacock Biography

 From  "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Peacock, Crabbe, Kearney, McCollough, Kohl,

 A well improved farm of twenty-seven acres, located in Buffalo township, is the home of Thomas Peacock, who was born near Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1849 and was a little lad of five years when brought to the new world by his parents, William and Jeannette (Crabbe) Peacock, the year 1853 witnessing their arrival in the United States. The father died soon after reaching this country, having contracted a fever while on shipboard. The mother located near Pottsville, Pennsylvania, where she remained until 1863, when she remained until 1863, when she removed with her family to Bedford county, that state, and the son remained in the latter district three years, when in 1866 he came west. For a few years thereafter he engaged in mining and farming at intervals, and in 1871 he settled in Scott county and prospected for coal, working in the mines of this district for three years.

His lot up to this time had been rather a hard one. Deprived of his father at an early age, he had little opportunity of attending school, as he had to provide for his own support from a very early age, and practically all the knowledge he gained form his books was by study at night after he had completed his day's work. As above stated, he had worked at farm labor after coming to Scott county and through this means had ample opportunity to test the worth of the land and its possibilities. He was convinced that he could win success in this way and accordingly, in 1874, located on his present farm of twenty-seven acres in Buffalo township, to which he has since bent his energies.              

 Soon after coming to the west Mr. Peacock was married in Scott county, in 1873, to Miss Elizabeth M. Kearney, a daughter of John Kearney, of Buffalo township. Mrs. Peacock was born April 17, 1855, and by her marriage has become the mother of four living daughters: Mrs. Jeannette M. McCollough, who is with her parents; Elizabeth, the wife of William Kohl, residing near Linwood, Iowa; Annie, the wife of John Kohl; and Emma A., at home. Three sons died in youth.

  Mr. Peacock is a republican in his political views and has been called by his fellow townsmen to fill various township offices, having served as assessor and trustee, and he has also filled other minor positions, in all of which he has discharged his duties faithfully and conscientiously. He belongs to Banner Lodge, No. 16, K. P., at Buffalo. Starting out in life for himself, with but a limited education and with no capital he has steadily worked his way upward and today commands the esteem and respect of the entire community. Over the record of his public career and private life there falls no shadow of wrong, for he has ever been most loyal to the ties of friendship and citizenship, and his history well deserves a place in the annals of his adopted state.

  Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Frank C. Keppy Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Keppy, Rohwer, Keppy, Klindt, Fellner, Mohr, Meyer, Schult, Gollinghorst, Shuck

                The financial interests of Donahue find a worthy representative in Frank C. Keppy, who is acting as cashier of the Donahue Savings Bank. He was born April 5, 1876, the eldest of three children born unto Frank and Mary (Rohwer) Keppy, his younger brother being Louis A. Keppy, while the sister is Clara, the wife of Henry Klindt of Maysville, Scott county. All are mentioned elsewhere in this work.

               Frank C. Keppy was reared on the home farm at the age of seven years, and his parents then removed to Donahue, where his entire life has been spent, with the exception of when away at school. He was given excellent advantages that he might start out in life well equipped for the strenuous and exacting service of the times. He attended high school in Davenport and subsequently attended Duncan's Business college in that city. Returning home, he became manager of his father's merchandise establishment in Donahue, being thus engaged for ten years. In 1905, upon the organization of the Donahue Savings Bank, Mr. Keppy was made its first cashier and has filled that position to the present time. The bank is established upon a firm basis, its stockholders being some of the best known and wealthiest citizens of that section of Scott county. The president and vice president are Frank Keppy and Albert C. Klindt, of Donahue, respectively, who with Emil Fellner, G. C. Mohr, Henry Meyer, Henry Schult and George Gollinghorst constitute the directorate.

               Conducting his private interests in a successful manner, Mr. Keppy is also willing to lend his aid to the prosecution of public interests. He has followed in his father's political footsteps as a staunch supporter of the republican party, on which ticket he was elected mayor of Donahue, being the first man to fill the office. He is also acting as treasurer of the Allens Grove township school board and of the Donahue Percheron Horse Company. His fraternal relations are with the Knights of Phythias Lodge at Dixon.

               Mr. Keppy was married March 9, 1897, the lady of his choice being Miss Ella Meyer, who was born in Hickory Grove township, November 22, 1876. she is a daughter of Fritz and Rebecca (Shuck) Meyer, the former deceased and the latter now a resident of Davenport. By her marriage Mrs. Keppy has become the mother of an interesting son and daughter, Dennis B. and Etta C. The parents are prominent and popular in the social circles of the community, for they have here spent their entire lives and are therefore well known.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Stewart Gillmor Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Gillmor, Hart, Baker, Ramsey, Boyle, Bryan, Connor

The name of Gillmor is an old and familiar one in Scott county, the family having been associated with the agricultural life of eastern Iowa from pioneer times down to the present, and he whose name introduces this review was one of the influential and substantial farmers of Allens Grove township, where he spent much of his life after coming to the new world, and it was on his home farm here the he died December 16, 1902.

               Mr. Gillmor was a native of County Sligo, Ireland, born July 27, 1832, a son of Stewart and Rebecca (Hart) Gillmor. The latter had preciously been married to a Mr. Baker and had one son, Nicholas, who was drowned in the Wapsipinicon river. Mr. and Mrs. Gillmor emigrated to America, arriving in Davenport on the 12th of April, 1847. The father first purchased forty acres of land, which he planted to wheat, this tract being located where the Orphans Home now stands. After residing in that section of Scott county for a period of four or five years, the father preempted eighty acres of land north of Long Grove, which became his permanent place of abode, and where the parents reared their family of four sons and two daughters, as follows: Eliza, who married Samuel Ramsey but she had since passed away; Stewart, of this review; Isaac, who departed this life in 1909; his home being in Denison, this state; John, who died in youth;  Margaret Jane, the deceased wife of Alexander Boyle; and Hugh, who is also deceased.

               Stewart Gillmor, the eldest son and second in order of birth, shared with the other members of the family in the trials and privations they had to bear in establishing a home in a new and unsettled country. He remained under the parental roof until he reached mature years and then, in connection with his brother Isaac, secured from the government three hundred and twenty acres of land in Winfield township, this tract lying north of Donahue. Stewart Gillmor at once began the cultivation and improvement of the land and made his home thereon until about the close of the Civil war, when he disposed of that property and invested in three hundred and twenty-three acres located on sections 26, 27, 34 and 45, Allens Grove township, and since his demise the family have added twenty-seven acres to it on section 27. Mr. Gillmor gave his time and attention to the improvement and further development of this farm and it is now a valuable property. Although he was modest and!
 retiring by nature, little inclined to conversation, he was a man of much influence in the community and it was due to his efforts and largely to his financial aid that the house of worship, known as the Church of God, was erected on his farm. Aside from his many other acts off kindness, which will long be remembered, this will stand as a lasting monument to his religious zeal.

               Mr. Gillmor, also in a quiet way, exerted his influence in the political circles of Scott county. He was stanch in his advocacy of the republican party and its principles and cast his first presidential vote for Fremont, while his last ballot supported William McKinley. Mr. Gillmor had passed his seventieth year, when on the 16th of December, 1902, he was called from this life. His ideals, his personality, the history of his life and his profound sense of integrity and honesty could be made the text of a lesson from which the younger generation could study success.

               Mr. Gillmor had spent forty-four years of wedded bliss with his wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary A. Connor, their marriage being celebrated in 1858. She was born in Perth, Ontario, Canada, June 26, 1839, a daughter of John and Ellen (Bryan) Connor, who were natives of Ireland but spent some years in Canada and came to Scott county in 1846. With the widow seven children survive the death of Mr. Gillmor, these being: John Stewart, who conducts a hotel in Los Angeles, California; Margaret J., who is with her mother; R. Ellen, who is engaged in teaching in Durango, Colorado; William L., a practicing physician in Kansas City, Missouri; Hugh H., who resides on a part of the homestead farm; Frank A. E., who is with his mother and manages the remainder of the farm; and I. Fenton, who is a student in the Iowa State University. Mrs. Gillmor is a lady of many estimable qualities and enjoys the high regard of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

 Transcribed by Laura Rathmann

Fred Thornbloom Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Thornbloom, Anderson, Hagberg

                A well improved farm of one hundred and twenty acres, situated in Buffalo township, is the home of Fred Thornbloom, a  worthy representative of the Swedish race. He was born in Sweden in 1861 and made his home there until he was thirty-two years of age. Having learned of the opportunities afforded in America, he decided to try his fortune in the new world, and accordingly, in 1893, crossed the Atlantic. He settled in Moline, Illinois, where for a few years he was employed in the shops of the Deere Plow Company. In 1895, believing that he could better provide for his family on a farm, he rented a tract of land near Moline and for several years gave his attention to it's cultivation. In 1897 he rented a two hundred acre farm near Hillsdale, Illinois, where he lived five years.

               In 1903 Mr. Thornbloom came to Scott county and since then had been engaged in farming one  hundred and twenty acres in Buffalo township. He does general farming, raising the cereals best adapted to soil and climate, and each year he gathers good crops as a reward for the care and labor he bestows upon the fields. He finds in the cultivation of the rich soil of Iowa ample scope for his energy-his dominant quality-and as the years pass he is adding to his financial resources.

               Mr. Thornbloom was married ere he emigrated to the new world, the lady of his choice being Miss Annie Anderson. They have eight children: Henry, Anna, Carrie, Swan, Iver, Casper, Thera and Sadie. All are at home with the exception of Annie, who is now the wife of Claus Hagberg, a resident of Moline, Illinois.

               Loyal to the best interests of his adopted county. Mr. Thornbloom is not slow in advocating every movement or measure for the improvement and progress of this section of the state and all who know him have for him high esteem.

Transcribed by Laura Rathmann

H. H. Gillmor Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Gillmor, Zindel, Schaser

               H. H. Gillmor was born on his present home place, November 19, 1870. At the usual age he began his education in the public schools, after which he pursued a course in Drake University. Subsequently he took a business course in the Iowa Business College, at Des Moines, from which he graduated in 1880. During the periods of vacation he assisted his father in the work of the home farm and after completing his business course he acted as salesman for the Smith Premier Typewriter Company at Des Moines, remaining in their employ for three and a half years. He then returned home and resumed farming on a portion of the old homestead place, operating one hundred and twenty acres on his own account. He is still giving his time and attention to this tract and is meeting with well merited success.

               Mr. Gillmor was married in 1904 to Miss Julia Zindel, who was born in Liberty township, Scott county, in July 1875. She is a daughter of Andrew and Mary (Schaser) Zindel. The father, who is now deceased, was a native of Switzerland. The mother was born in St. Petersburg, Russia, but is of Swiss parentage. She still survives and makes her home in Davenport. Both Mr. and Mrs. Gillmor are popular young people with a wide circle of friends.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Herman Lage Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Lage, Ziethan, Wiechert, Hagen, Hahn, Waters, Frye

                Herman C. Lage, who is the last of his branch of the family in Davenport, where for a number of years he has occupied a notable and honorable position in business circles, is now well known as a notable and honorable position in business circles, is now well known as a leading shoe merchant of this city, controlling a trade of large proportions, his success coming to him as the merited reward of his close application, business enterprise and diligence.

               He was born in Germany in 1862 and is the son of C. H. and Dorothy (Ziethan) Lage. The father was a mechanic who spent his entire life in his native land, where he died when fifty years of age. The elder son of the family having come to this country, the other members of the household also crossed the Atlantic and the mother spent her last days with her son Otto in Hickory Grove township. She was buried in Moline in September, 1884. The family includes Mrs. Anna Wiechert, who is living in Moline, Illinois; Henry J., who died in Colorado in 1900; Doris, the wife of Johannes Hagen a retired farmer living at No. 1301 Brown street in Davenport; Otto J.; Emma, the wife of Henry Hahn, a farmer of Scott county; and Minnie M. C., the wife of Richard J. Waters, who is in the store as a partner of the subject of this review.

               In the schools of his native country Herman C. Lage began his education and with his mother he came to the new world, remaining here until the winter of 1888-9, which he spent at his old home in Germany. He then came again to this country and pursued a commercial course in Duncan's school. Thus well equipped for the practical duties of business life he accepted a position in Moline, Illinois, where he remained for twelve years save for a period of a year, which he spent on the Pacific coast, during which time he was employed as bookkeeper on the Rancho Del Capitan. Subsequently he returned to his old position in the grocery business in Moline. He continued there until he became connected with the shoe trade in Rock Island in 1903. For about three years he was engaged in business in that city, but on the 29th of May, 1906, sold out and crossed the river to Davenport. Here he purchased the business of the Arnold-Lettie Shoe Company, which he has since removed to!
 his present quarters at No. 308 West Second street. He has a well equipped store, carrying a large and carefully selected line of shoes and the tasteful arrangement of his place as well as his reasonable prices and honorable dealings, constitutes a feature of his success.

               On the 30th of June, 1904, Mr. Lage, was married to Miss Elizabeth M. Frye an they have many friends in Davenport, while their own home is a most hospitable one. Mr. Lage became a member of the Masonic fraternity of Rock Island and he belongs to the Boat club of Davenport. A friendly disposition and social qualities render him popular with those with whom he comes in contact, while his business integrity and diligence make him a representative merchant before whom are opening out constantly broadening opportunities.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Captain Warner Lewis Clark Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Clark, Beard, Dodge, Baker, Waters, Evans, Elmes, Orrick.

                Captain Warner Lewis Clark enjoys the distinction of being the oldest living settler of the state of Iowa and also of being the son of the first white man to establish a claim in Scott county. He was born on the Wabash river, near Mount Carmel, Wabash county, Illinois, November 14, 1822, a son of Benjamin Warren and Mary (Beard) Clark. The father was a native of Virginia, but the mother was born in Kentucky and did not survive the birth of her son. The earliest memories of the childhood of Captain Warner Lewis Clark are connected with the Indians, for at the time of his birth they were much more numerous than the white settlers. Indeed, in 1827, when the family removed to Rock Island, the Black Hawk, Keokuk and other tribes surrounded them and were their daily companions. As boys he and his brother, John P. Clark, played with them at ball, shooting arrows and other games which they taught them, and having learned the Indian language became conversant with many  of the customs prevalent among the red people. On the 1st of June, 1833, with the rest of his family, Captain Clark removed to the Black Hawk purchase and they were the first to settle where is now the village of Buffalo, this county. Many are the memories of those early days, when the face of a white brother was infrequently seen. It was, indeed, a great event when the first school was taught here in 1836, and in it in the winter of 1838 Captain Clark received his last instruction in the rudiments of English education. On the 25th of October, 1839, occurred the death of his father, and a month later his stepmother also passed away, leaving eight children to struggle against the hardships that confronted them. The character of the life, far from discouraging them, taught them the invaluable lessons of industry and hopefulness, which were productive of large results if we are to judge from captain Clark's career.

               For a number of years after the death of his parents, Captain Clark lived upon the old homestead in Buffalo township and then, in 1847, removed to Davenport. Seven years later he and the late Captain Leroy Dodge bought a half interest in the packet line running between Keokuk, Davenport, and Rock Island. Captain Clark received the contract for handling the United States mail. In 1857 he left Davenport to take up his residence in Buffalo, in order that he might operate the coal mines which were upon his place and thus supply his boats with coal. In the course of years he became very wealthy, although in the panic of 1859 he lost heavily, but had enough left to establish him comfortably and give him a good start again in life. During the year 1865 he opened an addition to the village of Buffalo, which still bears his name. Of coarse in late years he has taken little active part in the life that is going on about him, but he is, nevertheless, an eager spectator o!
f events and has not remitted one bit of his interest in the things that pertain to the general welfare. He is able to contrast the present with its conveniences with the hardships of the past, and while he cannot but acknowledge the great advancement that has been made, he is loath to say that better men are produced now than then. In fact those early days, while they called into play the sternest qualities of a nature, demanding courage and perseverance above all things, inculcated those principles upon which the highest success is built.

               On the 9th of December, 1841, when he was but nineteen years of age, Captain Clark was united in marriage to Miss Harriet Baker, who was one year his junior. She was a daughter of Maurice and Margaret (Waters) Baker, the former a native of Maryland, the latter of Kentucky. Eight children were born to the Captain and his wife: Benjamin Warren, who wedded Miss Lizzie Evans, of St. Louis, Missouri, and passed away May 29, 1905; Emma M., who became the wife of General F. Elmes, of Chicago; Florence L., who is the wife of w. L. Orrick, of Dubuque, Iowa; Lincoln L., who died unmarried August 27, 1889; and Charles C., who is engaged in the milling business in St. Louis, Missouri. Mrs. Clark died March 30, 1891.]

               Politically Captain Clark has always been in sympathy with the democratic party, and he is a member of the Episcopal church. He is a stanch defender of religion and his own life is lived in strict accord with the rules of Christian conduct. He is temperate in all his habits, with a certain justifiable pride attributing the many years of his life to that fact.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Theodore Krabbenhoeft Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Krabbenhoeft, Haak, Niemand, Pahl, Struck 

               The name of Theodore Krabbenhoeft is an honored one in mercantile and financial circles in Davenport, where he is widely known as the president of the Davenport Cigar Box Company and as a director of the Davenport Savings Bank. What he has accomplished represents the utilization of the innate talents which are his, the recognition of opportunity and keen discrimination in determining that which is essential in the successful conduct of business enterprises.

               One of Davenport's native sons and a representative of one of its pioneer families, he was born August 14, 1859, his parents being J. H. and Lizzette (Haak) Krabbenhoeft. The father was a native of Germany, born in the little village of Noehr near Kiel. He acquired his education in the schools of that country and there learned the mechanic's trade. His interests aroused by the favorable reports which he heard concerning the new world and its opportunities, he determined to try his fortune on the western continent and after bidding adieu to friends and family, sailed for New Orleans. He then made his way up the Mississippi river to St. Louis, where he remained until, attracted by the discovery of gold in California, he crossed the plains to the Pacific coast in 1849, remaining for about a year in the far west. He was among those who met success in the search for the precious metal and on his return brought with him substantial evidence of his labors. Again maki!
ng his way to the Mississippi valley, he proceeded to davenport instead of St. Louis and settled on a farm in the vicinity of this city. Again he was attracted by gold discoveries when the precious metal was found on Pike's Peak, and making his way to Colorado, he remained there for some time. On his return to Scott county he resumed farming in Davenport township, owning there a good tract of land which responded readily and generously to the care and labor which he bestowed upon it. Unto him and his wife, who was also a native of Germany, there were born seven children: George, deceased; Theodore, whose name introduces this record; Emma, the wife of Chris Niemand; Gus; Laura and Edward, both deceased; and Julius, who married Emma Pahl.

               At the usual age Theodore Krabbenhoeft entered the common schools, wherein he completed his education. His early experience in the business world came through clerking in various commercial houses in the city and he made his first independent step as a grocer, opening a store which he conducted for some time with substantial success. Hoping to find a still broader field of labor, he disposed of his mercantile interests to his brother-in-law and entered the field of manufacturing in connection with the Davenport Cigar Box Company, which had been organized about a year previous. Soon after becoming connected therewith Mr. Krabbenhoeft was chosen general manger and upon the reorganization of the business accepted the presidency and has since remained at the head of what is now regarded as one of the leading concerns of the city.

               On the 5th of November, 1882, Mr. Krabbenhoeft was married to Miss Emma Struck, a daughter of Henry Struck, of whom extended mention is made elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Krabbenhoeft belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Turner Society, in which organization he is very active. Diligence and perseverance constitute the keynote of his character, and as he has steadily progressed in business circles each forward step has brought him a broader outlook and wider opportunity which he has fully utilized in the development of business interests that are now important and of extensive proportions.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Charles Van Evera Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Van Evera, Stowits, Wilkin, Douglass, Kepler, Seaman, Bonnell, Barr

               An excellent farming property of two hundred and eighty-six acres located in Davenport township pays tribute to the care and labor which Charles Van Evera bestows upon it, and in the fine crops which he annually harvests he is continually adding to his financial resources. He was born in the Empire state, March 2, 1847, a son of Rynier and Katherine (Stowits) Van Evera. The family came originally from Holland but have lived in America since before the Revolution. Rynier Van Evera was also born in New York, a son of John Van Evera. He was married in that state and in 1837 came west with his family, establishing his home in Muscatine county, Iowa. He located on one hundred and twenty acres of land which he purchased and thereon made his home for six and twenty acres of land which he purchased and thereon made his home for six years. He then disposed of that tract and removing to Scott county, rented various tracts of land until 1867, when he purchased the farm w!
hich is now in possession of the son Charles. For many years he was identified with the development and improvement of this farm and passed away March 9, 1883, while his wife survived him for only two years, her death occurring March 23, 1885. They had a family of five children, namely: Miranda, the widow of Cornelius Wilkin, who now makes her home with our subject; Joshua, of Florida; Charles, of this review; and John and Henry, deceased.

               Charles Van Evera was a little lad of seven years when he was brought by his parents to Iowa, the family home being established in Muscatine county. He started to school at the usual age in New York state and after removing to Muscatine county attended school there, while later, the family removing to Scott county, he attended the district schools here, but his education was completed in the high school at Davenport. After putting aside his text-books he gave his attention to farming, having assisted his father during the periods of vacation while pursuing his studies.

               Mr. Van Evera established a home of his own by his marriage on the 30th of December, 1874, to Miss Henrietta Kepler, a daughter of John and Ann (Douglass) Kepler, of Scott county. He then began work in earnest, following the pursuit to which he had been reared and this has been his occupation to the present time. He now owns two hundred and eighty-six acres in Davenport township, which was formerly the old home place, the house which stands on the farm having been erected by the father. Mr. Van Evera since taking possession has made other needed improvements and the place is now one of the most valuable in Davenport township. He carries on general farming and also raises stock, both branches of his business bringing him a good profit. His success has been won through the most honorable methods, so that it is all the more gratifying.

               As above stated, Mr. Van Evera wedded Miss Henrietta Kepler, who was born in Pennsylvania, a daughter of John and Ann Kepler. The father was born in Blair county, Pennsylvania, October 21, 1831, while the mother was born in Cambria county, that state, November 17, 1832. In 1856 a removal was made to Scott county. The family lived for a few years thereafter in Le Claire township but in 1861 took up their abode in Lincoln township, where the mother's death occurred on the 2d of February, 1877, when she was forty-five years of age. The father survived for many years and passed away in Chicago, Illinois, December 18, 1893, when he was sixty-two years old. Their family numbered eight children, as follows: Henrietta, now Mrs. Van Evera; T. B., of Tama county, Iowa; W. D., of Lincoln township; G. M., formerly of this county; W. E., a resident of Oregon; William D., of Tama county, this state; M. H., who makes his home in Worth county, this state; and R. P. of Toledo, Iowa.

               The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Van Evera has been blessed with nine children; Rynier, who died in infancy; Grace, at home; Carl, who wedded Josephine Seaman and lives in Davenport township, where he follows farming and stock raising, his specialty being red polled cattle; Katherine, who is engaged in teaching in Minnesota; Kepler, who is studying for the ministry in McCormick Theological Seminary, at Chicago; Anna, the wife of B. S. Bonnell, a resident of Lincoln township; Rodger, who married Zella Barr and is farming the home place; Benjamin, also at home; and Donald, who died when six years of age.

               Mr. Van Evera is a republican in his political belief and has served as school director but otherwise has filled no public office. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Presbyterian church at Summit, in which he is now acting as treasurer. Fortunate as has been his life, his record is untarnished and the name of Charles Van Evera stands for honesty, integrity and upright manhood.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

mrmrsfanning.jpg (75850 bytes)   mrandmrspope.jpg (86899 bytes)Mrs. Melvina Pope Fanning Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Pope, Fanning, Angle, Rathburn, Wood, Allen, Van Epps

Mrs. Melvina Pope Fanning, who is well and favorably known I Princeton, where the greater part of her life has been passed, owns considerable property in the village and thirty-five acres of farm land in Princeton township. Her father, Isaac Tracey Pope, was one of the early settlers of Scott county and was a descendant of pioneers, for his ancestors came to America from England, when this continent was first being colonized. Those who established the family on this side of the Atlantic were Thomas and John Pope, who crossed the ocean on the Mary and John, landing in Massachusetts September 3, 1634. John Pope was a freeman of Dorchester and in his will, drawn up in 1646, mentioned his brother Thomas, who is supposed to have been Thomas Pope of Plymouth.

Isaac Tracy Pope, a lineal descendant and father of Mrs. Fanning, was born in Oswego county, New York, August 13, 1811, a son of Squire S. and Sallie (Angle) Pope, who came west in 1835 and settled in Quincy, Illinois. Isaac Tracy Pope received a common-school education in the east, married there and in 1840 came to Linn county, Iowa, where he secured a tract of government land, upon which he built a log cabin, and there lived until 1854. Being in limited circumstances he and his wife had to endure many hardships attendant upon the primitive state of the country and the strain of poverty. However, he was energetic and ambitious and in the course of years his labors brought him a generous competence. In 1854 he removed from Linn county to Scott county, where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred March 17, 1863. His wife survived him more than twenty years. She was Miss Mary A. Rathburn, in her maidenhood and a daughter of Washington and Eunice Rathburn. Born i!
n Oswego county, New York, March 15, 1814, she there grew to young womanhood and was married to Mr. Pope, January 28, 1834. She endured the hardships of pioneer life in Iowa in the early years of her wedded life, and when the Scott County Pioneer Society was organized became one of its honored members. Hers was a life of courage and devotion to her family, and she was deeply mourned when, on the 30th of December, 1886, she was called to her final rest. The last fourteen years of her life were passed in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fanning. Nine children were born to her and her husband, as follows: Sarah, who became the wife of James Wood, of Princeton; William H., who wedded Miss Mary Allen and is now deceased; Melvina, who is now living at Princeton; George W., who wedded Miss Anna Maria Van Epps and is now a resident of Pleasant Valley township; and four who died in infancy. William H. Pope was born October 12, 1840, and was a young man of twenty-one when, on the 14th o!
f October, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Iowa Calvary under Colonel Egbert. He saw considerable active service during the Civil war and was discharged October 4, 1864.

Mrs. Melvina Pope Fanning was born in Linn county, Iowa, near the town of Lisbon, January 30, 1845, and accompanied her parents when they came to Scott county. She attended the common schools of Pleasant Valley township, although she was not permitted to give much time to the preparation of lessons, for at the age of fifteen her father bought a hotel in Princeton and placed her in charge of it. She conducted the hostelry with success, displayed good business judgment, and became favorably known in the village and the vicinity as a woman of large ability.

At the end of four years she gave her hand in marriage to John A. Fanning, who was born at Clayton, Jefferson county, New York, May 20, 1835. In 1857 he came west, settling first in Moline, Illinois, where he lived until 1859, when he came to Princeton, Scott county. After the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted from this village in Company C., Second Iowa Cavalry, and in the three years of his service participated in many of the hotly contested battles of the great struggle. Upon his return to civil life he took up his residence in Princeton, where he followed his trade as a blacksmith, and where, October 31, 1864, he was united in marriage to Miss Melvina Pope. The couple passed along the highroad of life together for more than a score of years, before their union was broken by the death of Mr. Fanning, who passed away in 1885.

Mrs. Fanning is well known and highly respected in Princeton township, where she has spent so many years. She has shown courage and ability in meeting the several problems that have confronted her, and while she has exhibited a keen business sagacity on many occasions, she is endowed with those womanly traits that make her beloved and venerated among a large circle of friends.   

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Frank Keppy Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surname: Keppy, Rohwer, Koehler, Thodt, Burmeister, Klindt 

               In the front rank of the columns which have advanced the civilization of Scott county, the Keppy family has led the way to its substantial development, progress and upbuilding, and Frank Keppy of this review has been particularly active in the growth of Donahue, where he now makes his home. He was born in Slopertown, Scott county, April 17, 1856, a son of Andrew and Bertha Keppy, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father came to the new world in the '40s. He was a carpenter by trade and followed that calling in his natives of Germany. The father came to the new world in the '40s. He was a carpenter by trade and followed that calling in his native land but after coming to Scott county engaged in farming throughout his business career. He was married twice and by the first union he had two daughters and three sons but the daughters all died ere the emigration of the family to the United States. By the second union there were two sons and two daughters but!
 the latter are also deceased, the elder brother of our subject being Herman Keppy, a resident of Davenport. The mother died when Frank Keppy was but two years of age. The father survived for many years and departed this life in Davenport, when he had reached the extreme old age of eighty-eight years. He became an influential citizen of Scott county, being numbered among her most worthy pioneers.

               Frank Keppy was reared to farm life, remaining under the parental roof throughout the period of his boyhood and youth. He assisted his father in the work of the fields until the family removed to Davenport, where they spent two years, after which they again located on a farm. The son gave his father the benefit of his services for six years thereafter and then engaged in farming on his own account, for it was about this time that he established a home of his own by his marriage on the 2d of September, 1875, to Miss Mary Rohwer, who was born in Allens Grove township, Scott county, on the 9th of February, 1855. Her parents, Claus and Margaret (Koehler) Rohwer, were likewise natives of Germany, the place of their nativity being Holstein. The father was born December 22, 1819, while the mother was born on the 28th of May, 1825. They were married in Scott county on the 3d of March, 1854, both having come alone to America. The father bade adieu to the land of his bi!
rth on the 28th of March, 1848, and after a tedious voyage, covering almost two months, he landed in Davenport on the 19th of May, following. The lady whom he afterward made his wife arrived here in the fall of 1853. After reaching Scott county, Mr. Rohwer began work as a laborer but through his economy and industry it was not long ere he was able to purchase land, for in 1849 he became the owner of one hundred forty-three acres in Allens Grove township. This proved but the starting point of his later success for in time his possessions embraced fourteen hundred acres but he has since given to each of his children a good farm. He has engaged in farming all his life and still makes his home in Allens Grove township. At one time he owned the land on which part of the village of Donahue has since been built. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Rohwer were born four daughters and three sons, of whom Mrs. Keppy is the eldest, the others being: Jette, the widow of Charles Thodt, of Hickory Grove to!
wnship, who is mentioned elsewhere in the work; Sophia, the wife of Emil Burmeister, a resident of Sheridan township; Emma, who died in infancy; Henry, a resident of Allens Grove township; August C., who died when but two years old; and Ernest, of Sheridan township.

               Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Keppy located on a farm of two hundred acres in Winfield township. After a few years he engaged in merchandising in connection with his farming operations. In 1880 he took up his abode in the village of Donahue and since then has been actively identified with various enterprises and with the building up of the town. In that year he was appointed postmaster of Donahue and has since held the position through reappointment. For five years he operated a creamery but has since abandoned that pursuit. He still conducts his mercantile establishment, handling a general stock of goods and agricultural implements, and he also buys and sells live stock. He is president of the Donahue Savings Bank. In 1892 he erected his store building, forty by seventy-two feet, this being divided into two rooms, and in addition to this he also owns three residences in the village, while his wife is the owner of a valuable farm of two hundred acres,!
 located a half mile east of Donahue in Winfield township. In every relation of life Mr. Keppy has always conformed to the strictest rules of integrity and honesty.

               A republican in his political views, Mr. Keppy has served as school director for five years, while for three years he was president of the Allens Grove school board. He is not an office-seeker, yet he has nevertheless exerted immeasurable influence in the village, with whose interests he has been associated for almost three decades, and in his daily life and his methods of doing business has set a good example for his sons, Frank C. and Louis A., to follow. Both are enterprising young business men of Donahue, the latter being his father's able assistant, and both are mentioned elsewhere in this volume. The only daughter and the youngest of the family is Clara, now the wife of Henry Klindt, Jr., who is likewise mentioned in this work.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Isaac Cody Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Cody, Laycock, Tuff, Sheridan, Miles, Carr

                Isaac Cody, the father of "Buffalo Bill," the famous scout, Indian fighter and showman, was one of the pioneer settlers of Scott county. He was born and reared near Cleveland, Ohio, and was there married, but his wife died soon afterward, leaving a little daughter, Martha. Mr. Cody then went to Cincinnati with the intention of studying medicine but about that time the territory of Iowa was opened for settlement and he decided to emigrate to what was then the far west. In the meantime he had wedded Miss Mary Laycock, of Cincinnati, and unto them were born seven children, namely: Samuel, Julia, William F., Eliza, Helen, May and Charles.

               Mr. Cody followed farming most of the time during his twelve years' residence in Scott county. In the spring of 1852 he removed with his family to Weston, Missouri, and as soon as the territory of Kansas was opened for settlement he was among the first to enter, residing there all through the period of the troubles that antedated the Civil war. Mr. Cody was an outspoken free-state man and on one occasion, while making a speech in defense of his principles, he was stabbed in the back by a Missourian and was forced to leave the territory, for his life was constantly in danger. Therefore he returned east to his native state of Ohio, where he made many speeches in favor of the admission of Kansas into the Union as a free state. On his return to Kansas he passed through Iowa and delivered speeches in Davenport and Le Claire. He was a very active man in making Kansas a part of the free territory, although he did not live to realize his one great ambition, which was !
to see Kansas become a pro-white state.

               His son, William F. Cody, known throughout the world as "Buffalo Bill," was born in Le Claire township, February 26, 1845, on what is at present known as the John S. Wilson farm, a mile and a half northwest of the town. It appears that Mrs. Cody had already selected a name if her child should be a boy and on being informed that such was the case she immediately announced that his name should be William Frederick. The family lived in Scott county until 1852 and there were in addition to the parents six children, as follows: Martha, Julia, William, Eliza, Helen and May. Samuel, the eldest son, had been killed while riding an unbroken colt at Walnut Grove, where the family had been living for a year. W. F. Cody at that time was a tall, dark-haired boy, seven years old, and was very fond of horses. Already he could manage a team as well as any ordinary man and, in fact, he drove one of his father's teams on the trip to western Missouri, which was in the year 1852.!
 In the year 1857 his father died, leaving him, at the tender age of twelve years, the sole protector and support of the family. After the father's death he struck out for the plains and engaged in herding cattle, driving stage, acting as a pony express rider and doing other such work as was incident to a life in that section of the country. After the outbreak of the Civil war he became one of the famous "red legged scouts," a company commanded by Captain Tuff. He served for two years and then joined the Seventh Kansas, known as Jennison's Jayhawkers, with which he served until the war closed. After the war he returned to the plains and was a scout for Generals Sheridan, Miles, E. A. Carr and others, while subsequently he became associated with Ned Buntlin  in the show business, which he has followed continuously and at this writing, in 1910, is still under the canvas. His mother, Mrs. Cody, died November 22, 1863, at her home in Kansas. Said one who knew her more than a half century ago: "She was quite a literary woman, a lady in every sense of the term; a great admirer of Queen Victoria and proud she would have been could she have lived to know that her son, William Frederick, was the only American ever granted special favors by the queen of England.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

J. D. Cantwell, M. D. Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Cantwell, Dalzell, Taylor.

                Dr. J. D. Cantwell, deserving of mention with the able and representative members of the medical profession in Davenport, his native city, was born in April, 1877. His father was Dr. A W. Cantwell, for many years a distinguished physician of Davenport, of whom extended mention is made elsewhere in this volume. The mother was Mrs. Martha (Dalzell) Cantwell, and unto them were born two sons, the elder being James Y. Cantwell, who served in the Spanish-American war in the Fifty-second Iowa Infantry and was afterward transferred to the Fourth Division of the regular army. He was at length honorably discharged in Cuba on account of disability and is now a commercial traveler.

               In the public schools of this city Dr. J. D. Cantwell pursued his preliminary education, which was later supplemented by study in the State University. He was graduated from the medical department with the class of 1901 and in April of the same year at once entered upon practice in Davenport, where he is making rapid progress toward the front rank of the profession. Conscientious in the performance of all his professional duties, careful in the diagnosis of his cases and with thorough understanding of anatomy and the component parts of the human body and the onslaughts made upon it by disease. He is a member of the County and Sate Medical Associations and the Iowa and Illinois District Medical Association. He is now treasurer of the United States pension board in this district.

               It was in March, 1904, that Dr. Cantwell was united in marriage to Miss Mary Edna Taylor, and unto them have been born two children, Edna Mary and John Dalzell.

               Dr. Cantwell is prominent in Masonic circles, belonging to Trinity Lodge, No. 208, F. & A. M.; Davenport Chapter, No. 16, R. A. M.; St. Simon of Cyrene Commandery, No. 9, K. T., of which he is past eminent commander; Zarepath Consistory, No. 4, s. P. R. S.; and Kaaba Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He likewise belongs to Prosperity Lodge, No. 704, I. O. O. F. His record sets at naught the old adage that a prophet is never without honor save in his own country, for in the state where his entire life has been passed Dr. Cantwell has demonstrated his professional worth and it has gained for him recognition in a liberal practice.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

paustian.jpg (55373 bytes)Charles Paustian Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Paustian, Roehs, Greenwald, Buhmann, Meinert, Paulsen, Dietz.

                Charles Paustian is known as a successful farmer of Hickory Grove township, his possessions comprising two hundred and forty acres of land all in one body, this place being called the Home Farm. It is also his birthplace, his natal day being September 6, 1865. His parents, Frederick and Christina (Roehs) Paustian, were natives of Holstein, Germany, the former born January 14, 1820, and the latter born on the 25th of August, 1825. They were reared in the old country and came to the new world in 1851. They were married soon after their arrival here and settled on a farm in Scott county, which the father bought. Prior to coming to America he had followed his trade of a mason but after locating in Scott county gave his time to general farming throughout his business career. His family numbered twelve children but two of the number died in childhood, the others being: Caroline, the wife of Martin Greenwald, of Cleona township; Fred, who resides in Minnesota; August, of Hickory Grove township; Emma, the wife of Christ Paustian, of Cleona township, Louis, who makes his home in Cedar county, Iowa, Sophia, the wife of William Buhmann, a resident of O'Brien county, Iowa; James, of Hickory Grove township, Charles, of this review; Minnie, the wife Herman Meinert, who resides in Cleona township; and Bertha, the wife of Henry Paulsen, a resident of Muscatine county, Iowa. The parents became well-to-do and highly respected pioneers of Scott county but both are now deceased. The father passed away on the 27th of January, 1885, when he had reached the age of sixty-five years, while the mother, surviving for about fifteen years, departed this life July 21, 1900m when she was seventy-five years of age.

               Charles Paustian was reared under the parental roof, assisting his father in the work of the fields during the spring and summer seasons, while in the winter months he pursued his studies in the district schools near his home. He has made farming his life work and is now the owner of the old homestead farm, the tract embracing two hundred and forty acres, eighty acres of which lies on section 29, while the remainder is located on section 30, Hickory Grove township. On the place stands a substantial brick residence, which was erected by the father, while all the outbuildings have been built by Mr. Paustian of this review. Each year his labors are rewarded by bounteous harvests, for he is systematic in his methods of farming and knows what plan to follow to bring the best results.

               Mr. Paustian was married in 1891 to Miss Lizzie Dietz, who was born in Cleona township, this county, September 20, 1868, a daughter of John Dietz, a resident of Cleona township. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Paustian have been born one son and eight daughters: Christina, Agnes, Horace, Elsie, Malinda, Evelyn, Elvira, Norma and Leona.

               In the midst of a busy life on the farm Mr. Paustian finds time to give to other interest of a public nature, acting as a director of the Walcott Savings Bank and of the Farmers Elevator company of Walcott. In his political views he is a democrat but is not active as an office seeker. His fraternal relations are with the Knights of Pythias at Walcott. Mr. Paustian chose rather a significant name for his place-Home Farm-for while its surroundings are characteristic of all that the name implies, it has as well been the place of his abode from the date of his birth to the present time, and the associations of his early boyhood and youth as well as those of later manhood have made it to him a cherished spot.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Hans Soenke Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Soenke, Jacobs, Brothers, Timm, Inbeck, Koechert, Puck, Sulk, Faurback, Ruge, Dean.

                Among the old residents of Scott county who are now living in retirement in Davenport, Hans Soenke is numbered. He was formerly engaged in farming and still owns valuable and extensive lands in the state. He was born in Holstein, Germany, January 31, 1836, a son of Hans and Christina (Jacobs) Soenke. The father emigrated with his family to the new world in 1853, and, landing at New York city, made his way direct to St. Louis, whence he went up the river about a hundred miles, where lived some friends, with whom the Soenke family remained for a few months. The father then sought a location and, deciding upon Iowa as a suitable place to settle, he rented land in Hickory Grove township, Scott county, where he spent the first winter and then removed to Blue Grass township, living there for four years, and then operated a farm in Hickory Grove township. He next leased four hundred and eighty acres in blue Grass township, this being divided into two farms, which lay  about three miles apart. This was all prairie but Mr. Soenke at once began to place the fields under cultivation, having fenced the place and erected a house. In course of years he purchased this land and carried on farming on an extensive scale until his demise. His family numbered eight children: Mary, deceased; Margaret, who became the wife of J. Brothers and has also departed this life; and Katherine, the deceased wife of Henry Timm. Both the parents died many years ago. The father, who was born August 8, 1803, died in 1881 on the seventy-eighth anniversary of his birth. The mother, who was likewise born in 1803, passed away in 1863.

               Hans Soenke, whose name introduces this review, was a youth of seventeen years when he accompanied his parents on their trip to the new world. After their arrival here, he located with them in Scott county, where he found employment during the harvesting season. While thus engaged he had the misfortune to lose his right arm. When the father rented a farm the son assisted him in his work and accompanied him on his various removals after coming to Scott county, assisting in the work of the different farms. After the father's demise, Mr. Soenke took charge of the place and made it his home until 1898, since which time he has lived retired in Davenport. He still retains possession of the farm of two hundred and forty acres in Blue Grass township and owns a similar amount in Clay county, this state. This is all valuable land and supplies him with a good competency, which enables him to enjoy all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life.

               Mr. Soenke was married December 20, 1865, to Miss Anna Inbeck, a daughter of John and Augustina Margaret Inbeck, whose parents located in Davenport in 1863. They have become the parents of the following named. Christina is the deceased wife of Louis Koechert, who lives on Mr. Soenke's farm in Clay county. She was the mother of a daughter and two sons, Ida, Albert, and Herman. Hans, the next member of the family, wedded Helen Puck but is now deceased. Henry, who lives on the homestead place in Blue Grass township, wedded Miss Minnie Sulk and they have two children, Karma and a baby. Wilhelmina is the wife of Henry Faurback and they reside in Cleona township, Scott county. They have five children, Fred, Mary Ann, Elmer, Ida and Loyd. Agnes Soenke is the wife of William Ruge, of Walcott, Iowa, and is the mother of five children, Walter, Clarence, Hans, Etta and Boeta. Ida, the sixth member of the family is with her parents. Herman, the youngest, wedded Ella Dean !
and they have a daughter, Erma.

               While still a resident of Blue Grass township, Mr. Soenke served as school director for a number of years and was formerly on the directorate of the Walcott Savings Bank and the Walcott Creamery Company and he still is a stockholder in these two concerns. He has been treasurer of the German Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Walcott since 1882. In former years his life was one of continuous activity, in which was accorded due recognition of labor, and today he is numbered among the substantial citizens of Davenport and Scott county. His interests have at all times been thoroughly identified with those of Scott county, and at all times he is ready to lend his aid and cooperation to any movement calculated to benefit this section of the country or advance its wonderful development. He is a member of the German Pioneers Association and in politics is a democrat.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

James Paustian Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Paustian, Roehs, Greenwood, Buhmann, Meinert, Paulsen, Martens.

 James Paustian, a successful farmer of Hickory Grove township, is one of its native sons, for here his birth occurred October 25, 1863. His parents, Frederick and Christian (Roehs) Paustian, were natives of the fatherland, the former having been born in Holstein, January 14, 1820, the latter in the same province, August 25, 1825. In the place of their birth they were reared to maturity and were there married, coming to this country in 1851 shortly after their union. They settled on a farm in Scott county, Iowa, where Mr. Paustian devoted himself assiduously to tilling the soil, although for the first years, in conjunction with it, he followed his trade as a mason to some extent. As the years passed he became a prosperous man, who enjoyed the respect of his fellow citizens and especially of those pioneers of Scott county who had watched his labors in the early days. He died January 27, 1885, while his wife survived until July 21, 1900. They were both well advanced in age when!
 their lives were ended.

Twelve children were born to them, ten of whom now survive, namely: Caroline, who is the wife of Martin Greenwood, of Cleona township; Fred, who resides in Minnesota; August, of Hickory Grove township; Emma, the wife of Christ Paustian, of Cleona township; Louis, who resides in Cedar county, Iowa; Sophia, the wife of William Buhmann, of Bryan, Ohio; James, the subject of this sketch; Charles, a farmer of Hickory Grove township; Minnie, the wife of Herman Meinert, of Cleona township; and Bertha, the wife of Henry Paulsen, of Muscatine, Iowa.

As well as being his birthplace Hickory Grove township has also been the home of James Paustian throughout life. In the district schools here he received his early education and at the same time he was fitted for the responsibilities of life practically through the assistance he rendered his father in the operation of the homestead. Upon the death of the latter, when James Paustian was twenty-one years of age, he and his brother assumed the management of the paternal farm, which they conducted for the next four years. At the expiration of that period, they severed their partnership and James Paustian came to the place on which he now lives. It is a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, the southeast quarter of section 19, Hickory Grove township. Here he pursues general farming, raising a quantity of stock for the market in addition. While these occupations demand a great deal of his time and thought, he is also interested as a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator at Walcott and has been able to render efficient service to his fellow citizens, for during a period of three years he was school director.

On the 27th of February, 1895, Mr. Paustian was united in marriage to Miss Anna Martens, who was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, September 6, 1874. Upon the 24th of October, 1881, she and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fritz Martens, came to Scott county, which has since been their home. Mr. and Mrs. Paustian have eight children: Minnie C., Sophia M., Bernhard P., Caroline A., Walter E., Harry F., Bertha D. and Edna A.

Mr. Paustian belongs to the lodge of the Knights of Pythias at Walcott, taking a vital interest in its affairs. The improvements upon his farm and the condition of the fields, rather than their extent, evince his skill as a farmer, and he has the respect and good will of those who are associated with him.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann