BIOGRAPHIES

Ambrose C. Fulton Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Fulton, Jones

Ambrose C. Fulton was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, in 1811, and worked on his father's farm until 1827, when he went to Philadelphia and began a career of adventure. He went to sea, landed in New Orleans and engaged in trade with the West India islands, accumulating money to build several business houses in New Orleans. He raised a company and aided Texas in its revolt against Mexico.

In 1842 Mr. Fulton located in Davenport, Iowa, where he built the first flatboat that made the trip to New Orleans from that city. In company with others he selected a mill site on the Wapsipinicon river in Buchanan county and built a dam and flouring mill. In 1846 he built a large flouring mill in davenport and was one of the first to project the railroad which was built west from this place.

In 1854 Mr. Fulton was elected by a union of the whigs and anti-slavery voters to represent Scott county in the state senate and helped elect James Harlan to the United States senate to take the place of George W. Jones. For more than forty years Mr. Fulton was engaged in nearly all public enterprises for the development of Davenport and during that time erected thirty-seven buildings. He was always one of the leaders and promoters of public enterprises to advance the development of the city and state. He was an intelligent writer for the leading newspapers and did much in that way to bring settlers into the city and men of capital into the state.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


August Steffen Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Steffen, Roddewig, Weidemann, Gehrlicher, Matthey, Aufderheide

August Steffen, who to the time of his death was numbered among Davenport's most substantial citizens, his business activity contributing in large measure to commercial progress and development, testified in his life record the force and value of persistent effort and indefatigable energy. It was those qualities which gained him distinction as one of the leading wholesale merchants of the city. He was truly a self-made man and as the architect of his own fortunes he builded wisely and well.

Mr. Steffen, was born in Herford, Westphalia, Germany, October 24, 1824, and continued to reside in his native land to the age of twenty-four years, when the opportunities of the new world constituted a call which he heard and heeded, landing in New York, in September, 1848. He did not tarry on the eastern coast but at once made his way to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he secured employment at his trade. His financial condition rendered it imperative that he immediately obtain a position and for two months he worked there, after which he shipped on a river boat for New Orleans, where he engaged in the bakery business for a time, and then went to Natchez, Mississippi. He stayed in both places but a short period and in 1850 started overland for California. Although San Francisco was his destination, he spent a short time in Sacramento. He then went into the gold fields and met with fair success in his search for the precious metal, but in so doing endured all the hardships and priva!
tions which fell to the lot of the miner in that region far remote from civilization.

After four years spent on the Pacific coast, Mr. Steffen returned to St. Louis, Missouri, by way of the isthmus of Panama, and utilized his recently acquired earnings in the establishment of a partnership with Ferdinand Roddewig. Removing to Davenport they opened a grocery store at No. 224 West Second street, but soon afterward Mr. Steffen purchased the interest of his partner and carried on the business alone. Five years later he became connected with the grain trade and was very successful in that venture, which constituted the nucleus of his more recently acquired fortune. On the 7th of September, 1879, he purchased the dry-goods business of M. Weidemann and placed it upon a profitable footing, so that at the end of three years he extended the scope of his activities by adding to the retail a wholesale department. In 1876 he erected the August Steffen building, which at that time was the largest business block in Davenport. He continued the management of the business alon!
g new lines until about three years prior to his death, when he closed out the retail department and retired from active life, while his son, August, who had been associated with him since 1883, took over the complete management of the wholesale business. The stock of the company is now all owned by the heirs of our subject. Mr. Steffen developed his trade along lines of natural and healthy expansion and the business from the outset proved profitable. Not only as a merchant but in other ways was he connected with Davenport's most successful enterprises, being financially interested in a number of important concerns. For years he was president of the Davenport Plow Company and was also a director of the First National Bank from its organization and likewise of the Davenport Savings Bank. The soundness of his judgment made his cooperation in these concerns a valuable factor.

In 1856 Mr. Steffen was married to Miss Margarethe Gehrlicher, a native of Coburg, Germany, and a sister of E. S. Carl, now deceased, who was cashier of the Citizens National Bank. They became the parents of seven children, of whom four are living: Meta, the wife of Dr. Carl Matthey, Adele, the wife of B. F. Aufderheide, and August, all of Davenport; and Alfred, who is engaged in the brewing and malting business. The pleasures of Mr. Steffen's life were his home and his business. In his home he was kind, indulgent and generous, finding his greatest joy in the companionship of his wife and children. Relatives and friends were also many times recipients of his kindness and generosity and to public charities he never gave grudgingly, but with hearty spirit to render efficient aid where it was most greatly felt. In his business he was the soul of integrity. In fact he was frank and outspoken in all of his transactions and conscientiously honest, he despised tricks and subterfuge!
s of any character. He gave liberally to the support of many enterprises which he thought worthy, being ever ready to open his purse for public improvements, and his judgment in such matters was largely depended upon. He died October 8, 1899, after close identification with the interests of Davenport for more than forty years. With effort unhampered by the drawbacks of caste or class, which he would have known in his native land, he resolutely put forth effort that brought him to a prominent position in commercial circles and at the same time made his activity of benefit to the city.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Carroll Brothers Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Carroll, Menaugh, Streib, Keller

The caption of this article is also the name of one of the leading firms of attorneys and abstracters of Davenport. It is composed of three brothers, A. E., W. H. and E. J. Carroll. The first named was born I Princeton township, Scott county, Iowa, January 22, 1866, while W. H. Carroll was born April 16, 1869, and E. J. Carroll on the 19th of June, 1874. Their father, James Carroll, a native of Ireland, was born April 16, 1833, and in 1842 came to the United States with his father, Alexander Carroll, who settled for a time in Springfield, Ohio, where he engaged in farming. His son James Carroll was reared to agricultural life and remained a resident of Ohio until 1858, when he determined to establish his home in the middle west, thinking that better opportunities might be enjoyed in a district less thickly settled. Therefore, he came to Iowa and took up his abode in Le Claire, where he followed farming for many years. As time passed on he brought his fields under a high stat!
e of cultivation and came to be recognized as one of the representative agriculturists of the community. He has now retired from active business and makes his home in Clinton, Iowa.

The three sons who constitute the firm of Carroll Brothers acquired their early education in the public schools of Princeton township, afterward attended the Normal School at Dixon, Illinois, and the State University of Iowa, in which they were all law students. A. E. Carroll was graduated in the class of 1893 and practiced in Clinton for three years, after which he removed to Detroit. In 1894 W. H. Carroll joined him in organizing the firm of Carroll Brothers, having just graduated from the State University. E. J. Carroll completed his course there in 1897 and was then taken into the partnership. Not only have they engaged in the practice of law but also conduct an abstract office, which they opened in 1900. They are all young men of excellent business ability and, moreover, have that comprehensive knowledge of the law which is the fundamental of all success of the bar. Their devotion to their clients' interests is proverbial and their preparation of cases is thorough and e!
xhaustive so that when they enter the courts they are well prepared to clearly define the legal position of their clients and prove the justice of their cause. They have never been office seekers, although active in every good work for the community. W. H. Carroll has served, however, as deputy county attorney in Clinton county for three terms.

A. E. Carroll was married in 1899 to Miss Emma J. Menaugh, a native of St. Louis. W. H. Carroll was married in the same year to Miss Elizabeth Streib, a native of Clinton Iowa, while in 1904 E. J. Carroll was married to Miss Lydia J. Keller, also a native of Clinton county.

The three brothers are active members of the Knights of Columbus and W. H. Carroll has served as grand knight of Clinton county. They are most highly respected citizens, loyal to the best interests of the community, their cooperation and aid being always counted upon to further any movement for the public good. In law practice and in the abstract business they have secured a liberal clientele and are most devoted to the interests of those whom they represent.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


mcfarland.jpg (29506 bytes)Harry J. McFarland Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: McFarland, Toher, McPherson

On the roster of county officials in Scott county appears the name of Harry J. McFarland, who has served as clerk of the district court since January 7, 1907, and has proven a faithful, prompt and efficient incumbent in that position. Moreover, he is numbered among the worthy native sons of this county, his birth having occurred in Davenport on the 30th of May, 1871. His parents were Daniel and Anna (Toher) McFarland. His father was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and left his native land at the age of six years accompanied by his father, James McFarland, and arrived in the United States in 1854. After a short stay in the city of Philadelphia, he came west and settled at Davenport, Iowa. Entering the service of the Rock Island Railroad Company, he was employed in the capacity of car inspector at the Perry street passenger depot for twenty-five years, while for the past eleven years he has been in the service of the Rock Island arsenal. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Anna Toher, was a native of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and came of Irish parentage. She came west with her parents at an early age and received her education in this city. They reared a family of seven children, six of whom still survive.

Harry J. McFarland, who is the eldest child in his father's family, obtained his preliminary education in St. Marguerite's parochial school at Davenport and subsequently attended St. Ambrose College, graduating from the latter institution. He likewise attended the Iowa Commercial College of Davenport and received the benefit of a business course. After putting aside his text-books, he secured a position in the freight department of the Rock Island Railroad company, being thus employed for five years. Subsequently, he entered the services of the Western Railway Association in the capacity of freight inspector and thus acted for a period of eight years. Since attaining his majority, he has taken a deep and helpful interest in politics and in all matters of public concern and is one of the most universally popular, young men in Scott county. His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to various positions of trust and responsibility, and he has ever !
proven himself worthy of the confidence reposed in him. In 1902, he severed his connection with the Western Railway Association and accepted the position of deputy clerk of the district court and held the same for two years. A change in administration produced a like change in the clerk's office, and he became identified with the Guaranty Mutual Life Insurance Company and the American Security Company. In 1907, he was elected clerk of the district court and is still the incumbent in that position, discharging the duties devolving upon him in a manner highly satisfactory to all concerned. When the federal court was established in this city he was appointed the first deputy clerk of the United States circuit and district courts and also United States jury commissioner for the southern district of Iowa and still holds said offices. His political allegiance is unfalteringly given to the cause of democracy. When the Bank of Dixon, of Dixon, Iowa, failed he was appointed receiver !
by the Hon. Smith McPherson, judge of the United States courts. After the crash, when there was not a dollar in sight and it looked as if the depositors would lose all their savings, he by skillful management succeeded in collecting sufficient assets of the bank to pay fifty cents on the dollar to the depositors. He also acted as receiver for the Schicks Express, Transfer & Storage Company, likewise for the Benadom Sanitarium Company, both of which cases he settled with satisfaction to all concerned.

Fraternally, Mr. McFarland is prominently identified with the Elks, the Woodmen of the World, Knights of Columbus, Western Catholic Union, Davenport Turner Society and the Ancient Order of Hiberians. He served four terms as counsel commander of Carnival Camp, No. 1, Woodmen of the World, and three terms as grand knight of Loras Council, No. 532, Knights of Columbus. In August, 1909, he was honored by being selected as delegate to the national convention by the Knights of Columbus, at Mobile, Alabama. Throughout the county in which his entire life has been spent he is most widely and favorably known, having ever displayed a genial cordiality and an unfailing courtesy that have won for him many friends.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


fisher.jpg (31153 bytes)L. M. Fisher

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Fisher, Pratt, Bancroft, Provost


The Fisher family, in both the lineal and collateral branches, is distinctively American in that its members were those who valiantly served in the Revolutionary war. Maturin L. Fisher, the father of L. M. Fisher, was a native of Danville, Vermont, and on coming to Iowa in 1849 settled in Clayton county. He had previously, however, been a resident of Worcester, Massachusetts, for a number of years and while there residing occupied the position of postmaster for ten or twelve years. He was a strong man in his connection with public interests and an ardent democrat. Coming to Iowa, he won for himself a place of prominence in the public life of the state and left the impress of his individuality upon its political history. For two sessions he was president of the Iowa senate and in 1857 was superintendent of public instruction. The previous year the state had gone republican but Mr. Fisher was among those who succeeded in reversing the vote in 1857, gaining a decided victory fo!
r the democratic forces. He occupied an eminent position among the statesmen of that day and continued an influential factor in public life for many years. On the outbreak of the Civil war he was appointed on the commission to negotiate a war loan and defend bonds of the state. While there were those opposed to him politically, there were none who questioned the patriotism of his motives nor the honesty of is convictions. In early manhood he wedded Caroline Pratt, a native of Worcester, Massachusetts, who was born in the same house in which occurred the birth of Bancroft, the historian. She passed away in 1862 and Mr. Fisher, surviving for about seventeen years, died on the 5th of February, 1879.

L. M. Fisher, whose name introduces this record, was a pupil in the Clayton county schools through the period in which he acquainted himself with the fundamental principles of knowledge. He afterward entered the Wisconsin State University, from which he graduated with honors in 1872. Determining upon the practice of law as a life work, he next entered the law department of the University of Iowa and in 1873 was graduated as valedictorian of his class. Choosing Davenport as the scene of his professional labors, he has continued through thirty-six years as a member of the bar of this city and is recognized as one of the ablest lawyers of Scott county. He is at home in all departments of the law, from the minutiae in practice to the greater topics wherein is involved the consideration of the ethics and the philosophy of jurisprudence and the higher concerns of public policy. In argument he is felicitous and clear thoroughly in earnest, full of the vigor of conviction, yet never!
 abusive of his adversaries. His political allegiance has always been given to the democratic party and for years he was an active worker in its ranks, but in the latter period has devoted his time almost exclusively to his practice. He was city attorney from 1885 until 1891 and was nominated by the bar convention for district judge but declined the honor. In 1906 he was named by his party as candidate for judge of the superior court.

On the 17th of October, 1883, Mr. Fisher was married to Miss Laura Provost, a native of Montreal, Canada, and their children are Maturin L., Harriet P. and Laura M. The elder daughter is a graduate of Vassar College, of 1907. The family are prominent socially and Mr. Fisher is a splendid representative of the class of lawyers who, holding to the highest standard of professional justice and ever avoid leading the court astray in a matter of fact or law. He gives to his client the service of great talent, unwearied industry and comprehensive learning and is an able, faithful and conscientious minister in the temple of justice.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


James H. Greer Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Greer, Clark Spencer, Madden, Thompson, Marti, Dempster, Sherman

James H. Greer is a representative farmer of Sheridan township, owning and operating eighty acres of land, conveniently located three miles west of Eldridge. He is a native of the state of Indiana, born in Dearborn county, June 29, 1847. His parents Nathan and Rebecca Greer, were both born in Pennsylvania. In early life the father learned the brick mason's trade and during the pioneer settlement of Scott county made his way to this section and followed his trade here. In 1857 he brought his family to Scott county and purchased a quarter section of prairie land in Sheridan township. He at once set to work to improve the place and erected substantial buildings thereon. After getting his family comfortably located he left the farm in charge of his sons, while he resumed work at his trade, which he followed until the time of his death, which occurred in 1866. The mother survived for a long period and was called to her final rest in 1902, when she had reached an advanced age. Unt!
o Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Greer six children were born: Simon, who died during his service in the Civil war; George, who has also passed away; James H. of this review; Ford, who died at the age of about seventeen years; Agnes, the wife of James Clark, a resident of Colorado springs, Colorado; and John, who graduated from Grinnell College and is now principal of a high school in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

James H. Greer was a little lad of about nine years at the time of the removal of the family to Scott county from Indiana. He began his education in the schools of that state and after coming to Scott county resumed his studies in the public schools, while later he entered Grinnell College but shortly afterward his father became ill and died. It was then imperative that the son return home and his plans were necessarily changed. He then resumed work on the farm and this has been his occupation to the present time.

It was on the 7th of December, 1875, that Mr. Greer was married to Miss Mary Madden, a daughter of John and Helen (Spencer) Madden. They were both natives of England, whence in 1849 they emigrated to the new world, establishing their home in Winfield township, Scott county, and it was here that their daughter Mary was born on the 28th of September, 1854. Their family numbered eleven children, namely: Daniel, deceased; Margaret, who became the wife of John R. Thompson but has also passed away; Nellie, the deceased wife of Christ Marti; William S. and John H., who have also departed this life; Mary, now Mrs. Greer; Isabelle, also deceased; James G., who makes his home in Winfield, township; Robert, deceased; George, a resident of Kansas; and one who died in infancy. The parents have likewise departed this life, the mother passing away in 1881, when fifty-five years of age, while the father, surviving for only a few short years, passed away in 1884, when sixty-five years old.

The union of Mr. and Mrs. Greer has been blessed with two daughters. Nellie Estella is the wife of John J. Dempster and the mother of two sons, John G. and Keith G. Gertrude is the wife of Frank M. Sherman and they make their home in Grinnell, Iowa. The family is one of high standing and respectability in Sheridan township and, having long been identified with its interests. Mr. Greer takes a helpful part in the work of improvement along agricultural lines, while his own farm is indicative of his enterprising spirit.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Davis Thomas Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Thomas, Hire, Pineo, Underwood, Clarke

Davis Thomas, a retired farmer now living in McCausland and one of the honored veterans of the Civil war, was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, November 13, 1833. His parents were William and Jane Thomas. The former was a teamster by occupation and as there were no railroads in the early days he engaged in teaming between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and at length met with an accidental death, being killed by his team.

Davis Thomas is indebted to the public-school system of his native county for the educational opportunities which he enjoyed. After leaving school he learned the stone-mason's trade but never followed it to any great extent. The opportunities of the growing western country attracted him and in 1855 he came to Scott county in company with Ed Robinson, being at that time twenty-two years of age. He entered the employ of Mr. Robinson and worked for him as a farm hand until 1861.

Mr. Thomas responded to the country's call for troops, enlisting as a member of Company C, Second Iowa Cavalry, at Davenport, on the 14th of August, 1861. The regiment was fully organized about September 1st at Davenport and was mustered in two weeks later. The troops were in training at Camp McClellan and Camp Jo Holt at Davenport until December 10, 1861, when the regiment removed to Benton Barracks, proceeding thence to Birds Point, February 17, 1863. They participated in the expedition against Thompson's forces from the 25th to the 29th of February, moved to New Madrid, Missouri, march 4th, and took part in the action there on the 13th and 14th of that month and also in the operations at Island No. 10 from the 16th of March to the 18th of April. Then came the expedition to Fort Pillow, Tennessee, and from the 18th until the 22nd of April they were at Hamburg Landing, Tennessee. With the regiment Mr. Thomas took part in the action at Birmingham, April 24; at Monterey, April 28-9; the advance on and siege of Corinth from the 29th of April to the 30th of May. They were at Glendale May 8th and Farmington the following day and in the expedition to Boonville covering the 28th and 30th of May. Then came the occupation of Corinth; later the battle of Tuscambia Creek, and of Blackland, near Baldwin, on the 6th of June; the reconnaissance to Guntown, Baldwin etc. June 9-10; Boonville, July 1; Brown Springs, July 21; Rienzi, August 26; Peyton's Mills, September 19; Iuka, September 19-20; the battle of Corinth, October 2-4; pursuit to Ripley, November 2; Grant's central Mississippi campaign from November, 1862, until January 1863, including Warshaw creek, November 6, 1862; the reconnaissance from La Grange, November 8 and 9; Coldwater, November 8; Hudsonville, November 9; the reconnaissance to Holly Springs, November 12 and 14; the expedition to Ripley, November 19 and 20; Tallahatchie river, November 30; about Oxford, December 1-8; Yocona river and Springdale bridge, December 3; Water Valley, December 4; Coffeeville, December 5; the expedition against Mobile and Ohio Railroad, 1863; expedition to Mount Pleasant, April 5-7; Pontotoc, April 19; Palo Alto and Okolona, April 21-22; Birmingham, April 24; scout from La Grange into northern Mississippi, April 29 to May 5; expedition to Panola, May 11-15; Walnut Hill and Pigeon Roost, may 14; Tullahoma, may 15; expedition to Senatobia, May 21-28; Senatobia, May 23; Hernando, May 28; operations in west Mississippi, June 15-22; near Holly Springs, June 16-17; Coldwater bridge, June 18; Matthews ferry, Coldwater river, June 20; Jackson, July 13; La Grange, July 16; expedition from Memphis to Grenada, August 14-23; Grenada, august 17; expedition to Hernando, October 10-11; operations on Memphis and Charleston Railroad, November 3-5; Collierville, and Coldwater, November 3; Moscow, November 5; operations against Lee's attack on Memphis and Charleston Railroad, November 28 to December !
10; Salisbury, December 5; Wolf Bridge, near Moscow, December 3-4; pursuit of Forest, December 22-30; Collierville, December 17-28; at Memphis until February 5, December 22-30; Collierville, December 17-28; at Memphis until February 5, 1864; Smith's raid from Collierville to Okolona, February 11-26; Wall Hill, February 12; West Point, February 20-21; Ellis Bridge and Okolona, February 21; Ivy Hill, near Okolona, February 21; Smith's expedition to Tupelo, July 5-21; near Sibley, July 7; Camargo's Cross Roads, near Harrisburg, July 13; Tupelo, July 14-15; Oldtown creek, July 15; smith's expedition to Oxford, August 1-20; and Shoal Creek Alabama, November 16-20, 1864; Butlers Creek, November 22; Campbellsville and Lynnville, November 24, in front of Columbia, November 29; battle of Nashville, December 15-18; pursuit of Hood, December 17-28; West Harpeth River, December 17; Spring Hill, December 18; Rutherford Creek, December 19; Lawrenceburg, December 22; Lynnville and Richland!
 Creek December 24, Richland Creek and Kings Gap, near Pulaski, December 25; at Huntsville and Florence, Alabama, East port, Mississippi, Gravella Springs, Alabama, and Selma, Alabama until June 1865.

At the close of his term Mr. Thomas returned to the north, being mustered out at Davenport, in October, 1864. He then took up farming and bought one hundred and sixty acres in Princeton township, which he cultivated for five years. He then sold that property and invested in eighty acres in the same township, making his home thereon until February, 1900, when he retired from active business life and took up his abode in McCausland, where he has since lived, enjoying the fruits of his former toil.

Mr. Thomas was married September 12, 1861, to Miss Jane Hire, a daughter of Daniel and Jane Hire, who were among the first settlers of Scott county, coming to Iowa with their family when Mrs. Thomas was five years of age, her birth having occurred in Indiana, June 3, 1831. Her father made the journey with teams and drove cattle all the way. He had covered wagons and at places forded the streams. On reaching his destination he settled in Princeton township. The land was all prairie, hardly a furrow having been turned or an improvement made in that section of the country. Mr. Hire built a double log cabin and for a month Madison Pineo occupied a portion of it until his house was finished. Mr. Hire made the first wagon track to Princeton in 1837 and was closely identified with the early substantial development of the county. He made two trips to California with ox-teams and his various experiences made him well acquainted with he conditions, hardships and environment as well as!
 with the pleasures of pioneer life. Both he and his wife died in this county. Their daughter Jane was twice married and by her first union had one son, John S. Underwood, of Princeton township, and they have one child, Vesington, so that Mrs. Thomas is a great-grandmother. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Thomas have been born three sons. Charles E., of South Dakota, is married and has two children, Julia and Davis. Harry is at home. Jesse R., of Dubuque, is married and has two children, Gladys and Olla.

Mr. Thomas belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic and maintains pleasant relations with his old army comrades, taking delight in the camp fires and other meetings which again bring the boys in blue together. He is as true and loyal to his country today as when he followed the old flag on southern battlefields. Mrs. Thomas is with one exception the oldest permanent resident of Scott county, coming here shortly after the arrival of Captain Clarke, of Buffalo. Here she has remained continuously since and she can well remember the time when Indians were frequently seen in the neighborhood and when deer roamed at will over the prairie, which in June was starred with millions of wild flowers and in December was covered with one dazzling and unbroken sheet of ice. She has lived to witness many notable changes as the county has become thickly settled and its lands have been taken up and improved for the purpose of man's support.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


grabbe.jpg (79991 bytes)Ludolph Grabbe Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Grabbe, Bierlenberg

                On the roll of Davenport's respected dead is inscribed the name of Ludolph Grabbe, one of the more prosperous German residents of the city, who was the proprietor of a barber shop at 305 Second street. A native of the fatherland, he was born October 13th, 1829, in Meldorf, where he grew to manhood, learned his trade and was married. In 1853, in the hope of bettering his fortune he took ship at Hamburg for America. He resided in New York. The port of landing, for a time, but later came to Davenport and opened a barber shop on Second street over a market. He made several removals as his business grew and circumstances warranted larger quarters, and finally bought property at 305 Second street, where he was engaged in business until about ten years ago when he retired from active life. His was one of the well known places of its kind in the city was especially popular among the Germans, for Mr. Grabbe made every effort to accommodate his patrons and was endowed w!
ith a personality that attracted and rarely repelled others. A man of keen business sagacity, he was very successful financially as is indicated by the fact that he held considerable bank stock and real estate in this city. Nor were his commercial operations confined to one field, for he was secretary of the Plate Glass Insurance Company and was interested in several other concerns which were developing the resources of Davenport. In 1868, accompanied by his first wife, he made a trip to Germany and in the '90s, accompanied by his first wife, he made a trip to journey to the fatherland, but he was always loyal to the country of his adoption, which had afforded him the opportunities for advancement he sought.

               Mr. Grabbe's first wife died in 1894 and two years later he wedded Miss Augusta Bierlenberg, who survives him, as does their adopted son, Lee. Mr. Grabbe belonged to the Schuetzen Verein and to the Turners Society of Davenport and was prominent among his compatriots of the city. He was also a member of the Thursday Bowling Club, and his favorite recreation was hunting. He had no reason to regret having come to America, for not only did he gain a substantial success from his undertakings but he made a large circle of friends, who coming to know him intimately respected an loved him as a man of genial personality and honorable life. By them and by his family, to whom he was ever faithful and affectionate, he was deeply mourned when, on the 7th of November, 1907, his long and useful life was brought to a close. 

 Transcribed by Laura Rathmann


John T. Hansen Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surname: Hansen, Vogt, Horst

                Practical and progressive in his work, John T. Hansen is engaged in farming in Sheridan township, where he operates a tract of one hundred and forty seven acres, which he rents, and on which he makes his home, this being known as the Vogt place. He is a native of Davenport, born November 28, 1858, of the marriage of Henry and Margaret Hansen, who were born in Holstein, Germany, the former on the 26th of January, 1814, and the latter on the 12th of April, 1815. The father learned and followed the blacksmith's trade in his native country and also served for five years in the Danish army. In the fall of 1851 he came with his wife to the United States. Landing at New Orleans, they made their way up the Mississippi river, reaching St. Louis on Christmas day. The river was frozen and they could get no farther, so that they were compelled to remain in the latter city until navigation opened in the spring, and they then continued their journey to Davenport, arriving here on the 1st of April, 1852. Soon afterward the father opened a blacksmith shop and continued to follow his trade until 1859, when he made a trip to Pike's Peak. He returned to Iowa in the fall of 1860 and opened a shop in Calamus, Clinton county, conducting the same during the winter of 1860-61, but in the spring following he purchased a tract of land in Sheridan township, Scott county, this being located near the Five Mile House. Here he resumed work at the blacksmith's trade, conducting a shop until 1894, when he went to Nevada to visit his son and his death occurred there two years later, the date being June 12, 1896. He had reached the venerable age of eighty-two years and had the respect of all with whom he was so long associated in Scott county. He was a member of the German Shooting Society at Davenport. The mother of our subject departed this life on the 29th of August, 1893, when she was seventy-eight years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Hansen had but two sons, the brother of our subject being Carl, who makes his home in Nevada.

               John T. Hansen, the younger of the two sons, was a little lad of three years when in 1861 the family removed to Sheridan township. At the usual age he entered the country schools, acquiring his education in district No. 7. After putting aside his text-books he learned the blacksmith's trade under the direction of his father and worked at the same until he attained his majority. He then purchased a threshing machine and for eleven years engaged in its operation during the harvest season, at the same time engaging in farming. On the expiration of that period he disposed of his thresher and gave his entire attention to farming, which he has followed to the present time. He lives on one hundred and forty-seven acres, which he rents and cultivates, and he owns a quarter section of land in Garfield county, Oklahoma.

               On the 12th of March, 1887, Mr. Hansen was united in Marriage to Miss Emma Horst, a daughter of Peter and Catherine Horst. Mrs. Hansen was born in Sheridan township, her parents being numbered among the pioneer German families of this section of the state. Both were natives of Holstein, Germany, and in his native land the father served in the war of 1848-50. It was in the year 1851 that they emigrated to the new world and made a permanent settlement in Scott county, where the father still survives, making his home in Hickory Grove township. The mother, however, has departed this life, her death occurring October 6, 1897, at the comparatively early age of thirty-five years, for her birth occurred on the 13th of April, 1862. She was buried in Pine Hill cemetery. Mr. Hansen has with him his four children, Carrie, Carl, John and Florence.

               Mr. Hansen gives his political support to the republican party. For two terms he served as justice of the peace, his decisions ever being marked by strict honesty, while for ten years he acted as school director. Fraternally he is identified with the Woodmen of the World at Long Grove. He ever adheres to honorable business methods and is counted among the substantial farmers of the community.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Charles Boll Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Boll, Hansen, Ewaldt, Meyer, Koester, Weick, Rock, Frauen, Duge


               Farming has furnished such a profitable means of occupation to Charles Boll that he has never found occasion to abandon this business for other pursuits. He now owns a well improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres of timberland in Allens Grove township, located on section 20.

               Mr. Boll was born on a farm in Liberty township, Scott country, February 21, 1878, a son of Diedrich and Margaret (Hansen) Boll, both of whom were natives of Germany the former born in Holstein, August 23, 1828, while the latter claimed Schleswig as the place of her birth, her natal day being August 11, 1839. The father came to America in 1857 and located in Scott county.  For a time he worked as a laborer on different farms of the neighborhood and later, in partnership with Hans Ewaldt, rented a farm in Hickory Grove township. As soon as opportunity presented, he purchased farm land and established a home of his own by his marriage to miss Hansen, who had come to the rival. They made their home in Liberty township throughout their remaining years and there reared a family of eight children, three sons and five daughters, the record being as follows: John, who makes his home in Dixon, Iowa: Mary, the wife of William Meyer, a resident of Hickory Grove township; Anna, the wife of Henry Koester, who resides in Liberty township; Emma, the wife of Thomas Hansen, of Luverne, Minnesota; Henry, a resident of Cleona township; Tena, the wife of Theodore Weick, also of William Rock, of Adrian, Texas.

               The father became a well-to-do man and at one time his possessions embraced one thousand acres of cultivable land in Scott county but he later divided his property with his children. For many years he was actively interested in public welfare of this section of Iowa, which he chose as a place of abode upon his arrival in the new world, and at his death, which occurred on the 17th of March, 1903, when he was seventy-five years of age, the county lost one of its influential and substantial citizens. The mother died several years previously, her death occurring march 31, 1894.

               Charles Boll was reared under the parental roof to the age of twenty-one years. In connection with his brother Henry he then began farming in Cleona township, their sister Lena acting as housekeeper in the summer months. He was thus engaged until about 1903, when he located on his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which was formerly owned by his father. This tract lies on section 3, Hickory Grove township, and he likewise owns twenty acres of timberland in Allens Grove township. Mr. Boll has made most of the improvements on his farm and it is now a valuable property, rich in its agricultural resources and attractive in appearance. He is largely engaged in general farming but makes a specialty of stock, buying, feeding and shipping cattle.

               Mr. Boll was married February 17, 1904, to Miss Dorothea Frauen, who was born in Hickory Grove township, July 8, 1882, a daughter of George and Dorothea (Duge) Frauen, who are mentioned elsewhere in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Boll have two interesting little children, Elsie D. and Raymond C. The parents are well known in this section of their county, for their entire lives have there been passed and their many good qualities have gained for them warm and lasting friendships.

               Henry Boll, who was formerly a partner with his brother Charles in business, is equally well known in the county. He was likewise born on the home farm in Liberty township, February 5, 1874. He assisted in the work of the home farm until he was twenty-five years of age and, then, as above stated, he and his brother engaged in farming together, their interests being allied for four years. At the end of that time they divided their interests and Henry Boll is now engaged in business alone. He owns two hundred and seventy five acres, the home farm being a tract of eighty acres lie across the road on section 6, Hickory Grove township, and the remaining thirty-five acres is on section 36, Liberty township. This land is in one body, where the three townships corner. It is a well improved property and Mr. Boll is meeting with well merited success in his farming operations.

               Henry Boll was married November 16, 1899, to Miss Anna Hansen, who was born in Schleswig, Germany, February 8, 1879, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carsten Hansen. The mother is deceased but the father still survives and yet makes his home in Germany. Two others of their six children are in America, William and Louise Hansen, but Mrs. Boll came alone in the spring of 1898. By her marriage she has become the mother of two daughters, Helen and Alice.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Mrs. Alwin Kattenbrooker, M. D. Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

To view the picture of Mrs. Alwin Kattenbrooker's husband, Charles Kattenbrooker,  that accompanies this biography, please go to the main Scott county, Iowa page at: http://www.celticcousins.net/scott/ and click on Pictures/ Documents section.

Surnames: Kattenbrooker, Hanson, Oellerich, Weithe, Wilson, Bondwell

               One of the most efficient and highly regarded physicians of Le Claire is Dr. Alwin Kattenbrooker. For more than forty years she has ministered to the needs of those who have sought her aid with an ability that makes them rise up and refuse to let her resign, as she would like to do. She owns five acres of land in Le Claire township besides a fine town residence encompassed by spacious lawns along the bank of the Mississippi river. A native of Germany, she was born march 23, 1840, a daughter of Peter and Julia (Hanson) Oellerich. Her father had died in his native land when she was but eight years old. He was a stone-mason by trade but was also engaged in farming. In 1854 her mother came to the United States, settling in Long Island, where she remained until her daughter completed the medical course in New York city. Then, about 1867, she came with her to Davenport, removing thence to Le Claire, where her death occurred July 26, 1872. Two children were born to h!
er but the older died in infancy.

               Dr. Kattenbrooker had received her literary education before she came to this country, attending Heidelberg University for a time, and after reaching New York she studied medicine under the tutelage of Dr. Thompson. Two years later she entered Bellevue Hospital of New York city, where she remained three years, at the end of that time receiving her physician's certificate from the state board of health. She was a member of the homeopathic school and her license bears the date of November 17, 1887. She lived in the east for about seven years after coming from Germany and then with her mother came to Iowa. For a time she lived in Davenport and then, May 23, 1867 married and the day following started for Le Claire with her husband and mother. This town has since been her home and the scene of her professional labors. While she has been a most successful practitioner, her personality has endeared her to her patients, who are unanimous in their praise of her skill, her tenderness and her sympathy. Her husband, Charles Kattenbrooker, was a son of Charles and Elizabeth Kattenbrooker, both of whom had died in Germany, and he was the only one of his family to come to America. He crossed the ocean in 1852 and after reaching our shores went to Detroit, Michigan. While in Germany he had received a good education in the public schools and in Lemgo College and had learned the machinist's trade, at which he worked in Detroit for about a year and then went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he worked for a time before coming to Scott county, Iowa. After remaining for a few months in Buffalo, he removed to Le Claire, where he and his partner, Adolph Weithe, , built a machine shop and established a foundry. They ran out of funds, however, and were compelled to go to some city, where they might earn money. Accordingly, they went to Chicago, Illinois, and in a few years had saved sufficient to enable them to start their business again in 1859. In conjunction they conducted it until the death of the former, August 1, 1904. He was born November 16, 1825, and in the long span of years which were allotted him had given him proof of his strong character and a capacity to exert himself in noble endeavor. He was prominent in the fraternal order of Masons, while the citizens of Le Claire will long remember him as one of their mayors and a treasurer, in whose integrity they placed the greatest reliance.

               The union of Mr. and Mrs. Kattenbrooker was blessed with four children: Charles, who married Miss Lela Wilson and is a machinist in Chicago, Illinois; William, who died at the age of three years; one who died in infancy; and Harry, a physician in New York city, who wedded Miss Marie Bondwell.

               For many years past Dr. Kattenbrooker has been anxious to reign from active practice, but those of Le Claire who have become accustomed to calling upon her to minister to their physical needs, refuse to accede to her desires, constantly offering reasons why she should remain at the head of her profession here. Surely this is a tribute to her long years of service, which cannot but be gratifying to dr. Kattenbrooker herself as well as showing to others the measure of her success.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Christoph Buttenob Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Buttenob, Gollinghorst, Volquardsen, Schnoor

                Christoph Buttenob is a prosperous and progressive farmer of Blue Grass township, owning two hundred and forty acres of land, which has been in possession of the family for many years. He is a native of Scott county, born on a farm, August 9, 1864, of the marriage of Michael and Louise (Gollinghorst) Buttenob, both of whom were natives of Germany. The former was born in Schleswig-Holstein, in 1822, and in early manhood, in 1848, emigrated to America. He made his way to Scott county, Iowa, and worked for a time on the old government dams, which were under construction at that time. He had, however, worked at the cabinet-makers trade in his native country but did not follow his trade in the new world. Soon after coming to this county he purchased eighty acres of land in Blue Grass township, this being located on section 13. In 1861, having in the meantime added to his financial resources, he was enabled to purchase an adjoining tract of one hundred and sixty acres, while later he increased his holdings by tract of similar size in Davenport township and another of eighty acres in the same township. In 1878 he bought two hundred and forty acres near Maysville and in 1887 came into possession of two hundred and forty acres in Blue Grass township, which is now owned by our subject. Mr. Buttenob deserved much credit for what he accomplished, for when he landed in the new world he had but limited means and was ignorant of the language, manners and custom of the people, but as time passed away he availed himself of every opportunity that was presented and became a very successful man, owing at the time of his demise in 1901, twelve hundred and twenty acres of land, all lying in Scott county. He was married in this county in 1852 to Miss Louise Gollinghorst, who was born in Hanover in 1833, and they reared a family of three sons and one daughter: Anton, a resident of Davenport; Christoph, of this review; George: and Maggie, the wife of Christian Volquardsen, also of Davenport.

               Christoph Buttenob was reared on the home farm in Blue Grass township and attended the district schools of the neighborhood during the winter months, while in the spring and summer seasons he assisted his father in the work of the home farm and under the latter's instruction became qualified for carrying on agricultural pursuits on his own account in later life. He now owns a tract of two hundred and forty acres in Blue Grass township, which was formerly the property of his father, and to its cultivation he is now bending his energies. The place is improved with substantial buildings, while a nice country home adds to its attractive appearance. In addition to this farm he also owns a section of land in Spink county, South Dakota, and is financially interested in the Farmers Mutual Elevator company of Walcott and in a stockholder in the Walcott Savings Bank and the Farmers Savings Bank of Walcott, and he also owns stock in the Blue Grass Savings Bank, of which he is a director.

               Mr. Buttenob was married on the 29th of March, 1894, to Miss Rosa C. Schnoor, a daughter of Claus Schnoor, a resident of Davenport. They have three living daughters, Elsie B., Clara R. and Martha L. aged respectively fourteen, twelve, and seven years, while the third in order of birth, Hilda, died at the age of two years.

               Mr. Buttenob gives his support to the men and measures of democracy and since 1896 has served as township trustee, while for a similar period he has been a director and president of the school board. He takes a deep interest in the schools and is a firm believer in the employment of competent teachers that his own children and others of the neighborhood may be well fitted in early life for meeting the stern responsibilities that will later come to them. He is well known in the community which has always been his home and his many friends esteem him highly for his personal worth.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Louis Daurer Biography 

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Daurer, Swinster, Brus, Krantz

                A deep feeling of sadness spread throughout Buffalo township when it was announced that Louis Daurer had passed from this life, but while those who knew him remain, his memory will be cherished, to so much on account of the splendid success which he achieved in business but because of his life of helpfulness, of good cheer, of broad sympathy and his deep interest in and labors for the benefit of his fellowmen. Louis Daurer was born on a farm in Buffalo township, November 4, 1861, and, as the name indicates, came of German parentage. His father, John Daurer, was born in the fatherland, May 10, 1824, and when twenty-five years of age came to the United States, where he was married to Miss Johanna Swinster, who was born in Holstein, Germany, their wedding being celebrated December 12, 1857. Immediately thereafter Mr. Daurer took his bride to a farm which he had purchased. This tract was located in Buffalo township and he was thereafter until his death identified with the farming interests of this section of the country.

               It was on the farm above mentioned that Louis Daurer was born. He attended the public schools of Scott county and after completing his studies assumed the management of the home place for his father, at whose death he came into possession of the land. It then consisted of two hundred and forty acres seven acres. He carried on general farming and also found time to devote to community interests, being deeply interested in the welfare and progress of the locality in which he always made his home.

               Mr. Daurer was married April 29, 1885, to Miss Annie M. Brus, a daughter of Jacob Brus who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. The children, eight in number, are as follows: John J., who married Alma Kantz and follows farming in Buffalo township; and Rosa, Emma E., Lena E., Harry E., Louis, Lillie M. and Norma M., all at home.

               Mr. Daurer was a democrat in his political views and served as school director for a number of years. He was fond of hunting and each year made a trip to indulge his love of the sport. He passed away February 24, 1904, at the comparatively early age of forty-three years. Of upright conduct and kindly purpose, he is greatly missed in the community where he had spent his entire life, but most of all is his loss felt in the family circle, where he was known as a devoted husband and father.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


August Plett Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Plett

               August Plett, who figured prominently in business circles in Blue Grass as the manager of the Blue Grass Repair and Implement Company, one of the leading industries of the locality, is numbered among Scott county's native sons, his birth occurring in Buffalo township on the 2nd of August, 1868.  His father, H. F. Plett, was born in Germany in 1812, and at the age of thirty eight years came to America, locating in Scott county, Iowa.  Here he engaged in farming for a number of years, and in 1866 went to Buffalo township, where he operated a farm for about six years in the capacity of renter.  At the expiration of that period he moved to Muscatine county, where he remained for five years and then returned to this county.  Six years later he settled permanently in Muscatine county and there followed the occupation of farming until eleven years before his demise, his remaining days being passed in well earned retirement.  Aside form the subject of this review, his!
 family consisted of the following children: Lizzie, who resides with her brothers, George and Frank, in Muscatine county; Henry, the postmaster of Blue Grass; Louis who follows blacksmithing in Blue Grass; William and John, agriculturists of Blue Grass township; and Herman and Charles, both farmers of Muscatine county.

               Reared under the parental roof, August Plett acquired his education in the district schools near his father's home, and when not busily engaged with his text-books assisted in the work of the fields, early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil. After completing his education he remained at home for several years, carrying on agricultural pursuits in connection with his father, and later learned and followed the carpenter's trade for about nine years. He arrived in Blue Grass in the spring of 1898, and has continued to make his home here to the present time. In 1907 the Blue Grass Repair & Implement Company was organized as a stock company, being incorporated for eight thousand dollars, with a paid-up capital of forty-five hundred dollars. They deal in all kinds of farming implements and carry on a general repair business, their trade, which has already reached ample proportions, continually increasing in extent and importance. From its inception Mr. Plett has been its manager, his excellent business ability, his close application and is wise discrimination being potent elements in making this one of the important industrial concerns of the county.

               Mr. Plett holds membership in Hillside Camp, M. W. A., of Blue Grass, while his political views are in accord with the principles of the republican party. Although he has never sought nor desired public office, yet he is public-spirited in his citizenship, his influence ever being on the side of progress, advancement and improvement. As a business man he is honored among his fellow citizens, who are familiar with his record from early boyhood days, and the fact that his staunchest friends are numbered among his oldest acquaintances is an indication of the commendable policy and upright course which he has always followed. Throughout his connection with the industrial world he has never incurred obligations that he has not met nor made engagements that he has not filled, so that his name has become known in the business circles of Blue Grass as a synonym for business integrity.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


suhr.jpg (77779 bytes)Henry Suhr Biography

 From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Suhr, Van Tagen, Schwarting, Lorenzen, Frahm, Schlicting

                Henry Suhr, deceased, was one of the retired merchants to whom success in life came as the reward of carefully executed business plans and the strictest integrity in commercial dealings. He was born in the village of Suderau, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, on the 31st of May, 1845, a son of Eric and Anna (Van Tagen) Suhr. His father was engaged in the lumber business in Germany, where he spent his entire life, and the mother is still living there.

               Henry Suhr pursued his education in the schools of Germany and there learned the grocery business through service as an employee in a grocery house in his native province. The favorable reports which he heard concerning business conditions in America led him to determine to seek his fortune on this side the Atlantic and after bidding adieu to home and friends he sailed for the new world in 1868, when a young man of twenty-three years. He first settled in Walcott where he was employed by Bernhard Schwarting for three years. He then came to Davenport in 1871, at which time, in connection with Jacob Brammann he bought the grocery stock and good will of Jens Lorenzen on Harrison street. For eighteen years they conducted business together and then dissolved partnership in 1889, after which Mr. Suhr opened a grocery store at No. 210 Harrison street. There he carried on a prosperous business for ten years, or until 1899, when he retired. He had erected an elegant home on the west side of Davenport but did not live to enjoy it for any length of time as he soon became ill and passed away.

               On the 31st of May, 1879, Mr. Suhr was married to Miss Wilhelmina Frahm, a daughter of Frederick and Kathrina (Schlicting) Frahm, who were early settlers of Scott county. They were married in 1853 and the father died February 11, 1883, while his wife died January 4, 1897. Mrs. Suhr was born in blue Grass township and was reared upon one of the pioneer farms of the locality. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Suhr was born one son, John E., who died in infancy. The death of the husband and father occurred March 17, 1905, and was the occasion of deep regret to many friends as well as to his wife. He was a prominent member of the Turners Society of davenport and was of a friendly, pleasant nature, numbering his friends by the score. His reliability and enterprise in business, his progressive and public-spirited citizenship and his faithfulness in friendship all won for him high standing in the community where he made his home.

 
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


Richard Schaefer Biography

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Schaefer, Housemann, Carstens, John, Horst

                Richard Schaefer for many years has been a prosperous farmer of Davenport township, where he owns and operates one hundred acres of well improved land, on which he has made his home since 1884. He was born on a farm situated just across the township line in Pleasant Valley, December 24, 1862, a son of William and Lena (Housemann) Schaefer, who were German pioneer settlers of Scott county. Both were born in the fatherland in 1834, the former on the 30th of March, and the latter on the 4th of May of that year. They were married February 26, 1858. The father clerked in a dry-goods store in his native land. Immediately after their marriage he and his young bride sailed for the United States. Landing at New York, they at once made their way to Scott county, Iowa, where the father rented land for a time and later purchased on hundred and thirty acres in Pleasant Valley township. After a residence of seven years in that township, he took up his abode on a farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Davenport township, which he improved and operated during the remainder of his active career. In the meantime, however, he purchased other lands, owning at the time of his death four hundred and sixty acres. Late in life he retired and took up his abode in Davenport, his death there occurring December 5, 1908, when he was seventy-four years of age. Prominent and influential in the community. Mr. Schaefer served for a long term as road supervisor and was a member of the German Pioneers Association of Scott county. His widow still survives and occupies the family home at 1457 West Fourth street in Davenport. They were the parents of ten children, as follows: William, who follows farming in Pleasant Valley township; Richard, of this review; Alexander, also of Pleasant Valley township; Hugo, who lives in Davenport; Otto of pleasant Valley township; Albert, who resides in Davenport township; Meta, the wife of William Carstens, of Davenport; Emil, who died when a youth of fourteen years; and two who died in infancy.

               Richard Schaefer at the usual age began his education in the district schools near the homestead farm and completed his studies in the German school at Davenport. When starting out to make his own way in the world he chose the vocation to which he had been reared. He now owns a fine farm of one hundred acres, the rich soil of which yields bounteous harvests in due season. Mr. Schaefer also feeds cattle, keeping good grades of stock. Since taking up his abode on the farm in 1884, he has made many improvements, remodeled the house, built a good barn and other outbuildings, and altogether it is a valuable piece of property.

               Mr. Schaefer was married December 5, 1884, to Miss Rose John, a daughter of Claus and Katherine (Horst) John, residents of Lincoln township. Mr. and Mrs. Schaefer have two daughters and three sons, all at home, Hilda C., Oscar W., Elsie A., Richard E., Jr., and Raymond W. Mrs. Schaefer was born in Sheridan township, her parents being numbered among the early German settlers of this county. The father served in the German army from 1848 until 1850 and two years later emigrated to the new world, his death occurring in Scott county in 1880 when he was fifty-six years of age. His wife also died in 1880 at the age of sixty-one. Mrs. Schaefer is the youngest child and the only daughter of the family, her two brothers being Emil and John, the former a resident of Summit and the latter of Davenport.

               Mr. Schaefer is a democrat and on that ticket was elected constable and road supervisor, and he has likewise filled the office of school director. He belongs to the Modern Brotherhood and the East Davenport Turner Association. Both he and his wife are worthy representatives of pioneer German families, who took an active part in the early development of this region. Mr. Schaefer stands today as a high type of German-American manhood, who has won success in a useful field of business and gained the respect and honor of his fellowmen by his public service and private life.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann