Reverend Theodore N. Morrison

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The Right Rev. Theodore N. Morrison, Episcopal bishop of Iowa, was born in Ottawa, Illinois, February 18, 1850. His father, Theodore Morrison, a native of Pennsylvania, was brought to Illinois in 1835 by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Morrison, who settled at Tremont. Theodore Morrison, Sr., became a representative of the Episcopal ministry, being ordained by Bishop Chase in 1848, after which he labored for many years in Aurora, Jacksonville and Bloomington, Illinois. A life consecrated to this holy calling was closed in 1888 when, at the age of sixty-two years, he passed away. In early manhood he had wedded Anna Eliza Howland, a native of New York and a daughter of Allen A. Howland, M. D., who settled in Ottawa, Illinois, in 1832.

Bishop Morrison, whose name introduces this review, was the eldest in the family of three sons and two daughters. In his youthful days he attended the public schools of Jacksonville and in 1870 was graduated from the Illinois College of that city, having completed the literary and scientific courses. Determining to devote his life to the ministry, he entered the General Seminary of New York city and in 1873 was made deacon. The same year he took charge of St. Paul's Episcopal church in Pekin, Illinois, and in 1875 was advanced to the priesthood. In 1876 he became rector of the Church of the Epiphany in Chicago, where he remained until February, 1899, or for a period of almost twenty-three years. His work there was characterized by continuous growth in the various lines of church activity and the Epiphany became one of the strong churches in Chicago. His parishioners were loath to part with him yet rejoiced in the honor that was conferred upon him when on February 22, 1899, he was consecrated bishop of Iowa. He then came to Davenport, where he has since resided, carefully guiding the destinies of the churches under his direction with the same zeal and earnestness which he manifested when in charge of the Church of the Epiphany in Chicago. He holds the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Illinois College and from General Seminary, and the degree of S. T. D. from the Western Theological Seminary.

On the 28th of October, 1879, Dr. Morrison was married to Miss Sarah B. Swazey, a daughter of the Rev. Arthur Swazey, for many years pastor of the Third Presbyterian church of Chicago, and the first editor of The Interior. Dr. and Mrs. Morrison have six children, namely: Rev. Cameron S., who resides in the state of Washington; Mrs. Zay B. Curtis, living in Little Rock, Arkansas; Nevin S.; Arthur S.; Theodore N.; and Sarah.

Dr. Morrison is a man of strong executive ability, marked ecclesiastical force and with that broad general culture which makes him the peer not only of the leading representatives of the clergy but also of those men whose thought is given to the solution of problems of grave import to mankind. Transcending every other interest in his life, however, is the work to which he has been devoted from early manhood and, conscientiously and zealously utilizing and consecrating the powers with which nature endowed him, his labors have come to be recognized as a strong force in the development of the Episcopal church in the middle west.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

mrsmurray.jpg (89856 bytes) williambmurray.jpg (97195 bytes)William B. Murray

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

William B. Murray, a well known and prosperous citizen residing at No. 2012 Ripley street in Davenport, has lived retired since 1892 but was formerly actively engaged in general agricultural pursuits and is still the owner of two hundred and thirty acres of fine farming land in Lincoln and Sheridan townships. His birth occurred ten miles east of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of March, 1834, his parents being George and Esther Murray. The latter passed away in the Keystone state in 1853. George Murray, who followed merchandising and railroad contracting while in Pennsylvania, came to Scott county, Iowa, in 1855 and purchased two hundred and forty acres of improved land in Davenport township, the other members of his family joining him soon afterward. He later bought a tract of three hundred and seventy acres near Mount Joy but continued to reside on his original purchase until he took up his abode in Davenport, where his demise occurred on the 1st of May, 1887. His children were ten in number but four of his daughters passed away in Pennsylvania while yet young in years. Those who came to this state were as follows: William B., of this review; Anna, who is now deceased, as is also her husband, Albert Kratzer; Thomas, who died in the army; George, who has likewise been called to his final rest; James, a resident of Davenport; and Mary E., who is deceased, as is also her husband, John Hyland.

William B. Murray obtained his education in the schools of Johnstown and Summerhill, Pennsylvania, and after putting aside his text-books worked for his father in the store and also acted as timekeeper for the railroad men. On coming to this county he turned his attention to farming and after living with his father for a short time took up his abode on a portion of the three hundred and seventy acre tract near Mount Jay, which he broke up and improved. He built a nice residence and there carried on his agricultural interests energetically and successfully until the time of his retirement from active life in 1892, since which year he has made his home in Davenport. As the years passed and he prospered in his undertakings he added to his landed holdings by additional purchase and also received some property from his father. He is still the owner of two hundred and thirty acres of valuable land in Lincoln and Sheridan townships and is likewise a stockholder in the Iowa National Bank and the Davenport Savings Bank.

On the 30th of October, 1862, Mr. Murray was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Criswell, a native of Pennsylvania and a daughter of James and Jane Criswell. Her mother passed away in Pennsylvania in 1856 and the following year she accompanied her father on the removal to Scott county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Murray were born seven children. George, the eldest, who makes his home in Grinnell, Iowa, wedded Miss Eliza Coapley and has four children: Vera, Grace, Elsie and Mabel. Minnie died at the age of six years. James E., who is likewise deceased, married Miss Ida Garner, by whom he had four children: Walter; Hazel; and Martha C. and James E., both of whom have passed away. Albert, who wedded Miss Stella Regnitter, resides in Davenport. Elsie died in 1879, when but two years of age. Frank passed away when only eleven months old. William died in infancy.

Mr. Murray is a democrat in his political views and has been an active worker in the local ranks of the party. While living on the farm he held nearly all of the township offices, including those of justice of the peace, trustee and school director. During his two years' term of service as county supervisor the courthouse was erected and his name is inscribed on the corner stone of that structure. In the winter of 1894 he was the representative from this district to the general assembly at Des Moines. Public-spirited and loyal to a marked degree, he proved a faithful and efficient incumbent in the various offices to which his fellow townsmen called him. He and his wife are consistent members of the English Lutheran church, exemplifying its teachings in their daily lives. In the county where he has now made his home for more than a half century he is very widely and favorably known, for the salient traits of his character are such as have won for him the respect and friendship of all with whom he has come in contact.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

D.P. Peekenschneider

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

D. P. Peekenschneider, now living retired in Davenport, was in former years actively identified with general agricultural pursuits and is still in possession of considerable farming property, owning three hundred and forty-seven acres of valuable land in Cleona township, Scott county, one hundred and sixty acres in Cedar county and one hundred and sixty acres in Cherokee county, Iowa. He was born in Holstein, Germany, on the 2d of September, 1833, his parents being Hans and Elizaeth Peekenschneider. The father, who was engaged in farming on a small scale, served as a soldier in the Danish army. In the year 1862 he and his wife crossed the Atlantic to the United States and both passed away in this country.

D. P. Peekenschneider obtained his education in the fatherland and after leaving school learned the miller's trade. In 1867 he and his brother William embarked on a sailing vessel bound for American shores, landing at New York after an ocean voyage of forty-six days. They made their way at once to Davenport, Iowa, here joining a brother, Charles Peekenschneider, who had come to the new world in 1853. Following his arrival in this county Mr. Peekenschneider of this review worked as a farm hand for about seven yers, engaging in threshing, breaking prairie, etc. He then devoted his attention to the operation of a rented farm in Hickory Grove township for about two years and on the expiration of that period, in 1863, bought a half section of land in Cleona township in association with his two brothers. Half of the land had been broken and there was a small house on the property. The three brothers took up their abode thereon and after improving the land divided it and erected the necessary buildings. Our subject there continuously carried on his farming interests until 1909, when he put aside the active work of the fields and came to Davenport, having won a handsome competence through his well directed labors as an agriculturist. As he prospered in his undertakings he added to his landed holdings from time to time and is still the owner of three hundred and forty-seven acres in Cleona township, this county, one hundred and sixty acres in Cedar county and a quarter section of land in Cherokee county, this state.

On the 11th of November, 1865, Mr. Peekenschneider was united in marriage to Miss Wilhelmina Woolfretz whose birth occurred in Prussia, Germany, on the 25th of November, 1846, and who came to the United States with her mother in 1865, her father having passed away in Germany. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Peekenschneider were born twelve children, namely: Charles, who died at the age of twenty-three years; Frederick, living in Cleona township, who wedded Miss Emma Mangert, by whom he has nine children - Hertha, Olga, Otto, Herbert, Elsie, Anna, Meta, Fred and William; Herman, who is a resident of Cherokee county, Iowa, and wedded Miss Louisa Moon, by whom he has seven children - Wilhelmina, Hugo, Alma, Edna, Harry, Lillian and Arthur; August, who makes his home in Cedar county and who married Miss Louisa Hansen, by whom he has one child, Adeline; Emma, who died at the age of twenty-four years; Caroline, who passed away when thirty years of age; Detlef, who lives in this county; Ferdinand, who died when a lad of nine years; Amelia, who is the wife of Fred Cooper and lives on the old home place; Robert and Ella, both at home; and Walter, who died at the age of two years.

Since becoming a naturalized American citizen Mr. Peekenschneider has exercised his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the democratic party. From 1868 until 1909, or for more than four decades, he acted as treasurer of the school board of Hickory Grove township and in this connection did valuable service for the cause of education. He is widely and favorably known throughout the county which has been his home for more than a half century, having won the warm regard and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Isaac Petersberger

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Isaac Petersberger, forceful and resourceful, his broad general education as well as his comprehensive knowledge of the law enabling him to stand in the foremost ranks of the legal profession in Davenport, was born in Dixon, Illinois, June 28, 1874. His father, Emanuel Petersberger, was a native of Germany and on coming to the United States in 1852 took up his abode in Dixon, where he continued his residence to the time of his death in 1890. He there engaged in merchandising and was recognized as one of the leading representatives of commercial interests in that city, winning substantial success in his undertaking. He married Berta Ochs, a native of Germany, who came to Davenport in her girlhood days with her father, John Ochs, who was one of this city's oldest and most respected citizens.

Isaac Petersberger attended the public schools of Dixon until fifteen years of age, when he came to Davenport with his widowed mother, continuing his studies in this city. Later he entered the University of Iowa, from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1897, completing both the collegiate and law courses in four years.

Having determined upon the practice of law as his life work, in 1897 he opened an office in Davenport, where he has since remained, achieving an enviable success as a representative of the bar. His practice is of an extensive and important character. He is notable among lawyers for the wide research and provident care with which he prepares his cases. At no time has his reading ever been confined to the limitation of the questions at issue. It has gone beyond and compassed every contingency and provided not alone for the expected but for the unexpected, which happens in the courts quite as frequently as out of them. His legal learning, his analytical mind and the readiness with which he grasps the points in an argument all combine to make him one of the strong advocates before the bar and he is also regarded as a most safe counselor.

In 1899 Mr. Petersberger was married to Miss Hattie Goldstein, of Milford, Illinois, and they have two children, Richard and Louise. Mr. Petersberger belongs to the Masonic fraternity, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and to other fraternal and social organizations. He has the warm regard of fellow practitioners and the friendship of many whom he meets in social relations, for his salient qualities as a man and citizen are those which in every land and clime win respect and honor.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

porter.jpg (133564 bytes)James Franklin Porter

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. - 1910 Chicago

A picture of Mr. Porter is included with this bio. To view please return to the Scott County Main Page and click on the Pictures/Documents section.

Few of the citizens of Davenport represent larger business interests nor have devoted a greater number of years to developing resources of communities, than Joseph Franklin Porter, who is the president of several of the public service companies in this city. He was born in Harrison county, Iowa, June 27, 1863, and is a son of F. J. and Lucy (Francis) Porter, the former a native of New York, the later of Ohio. F. J. Porter came to Iowa in 1857, devoting himself assiduously to agricultural pursuits for a number of years. He has now retired from active farm life, however, and, with his wife, lives in the enjoyment of many comforts in the village of Woodbine. He has identified himself closely with the interests of his community and is president of the Peoples Savings Bank of that town. Eleven children were born to him and his wife. Ten of these grew to maturity and nine are still living.

J. F. Porter was reared on a farm and received his first introduction into the world of letters while a pupil at the district school at Biggler's Grove, Harrison county, Iowa. Later he attended the high school at Logan, going from there to the State College at Ames, from which institution he was graduated as a civil engineer in the class of 1884. For some time after the completion of his college course, Mr. Porter engaged as cashier of a bank at Woodbine. In 1885 he decided to engage in engineering pursuits and went to Des Moines, Iowa, where he became interested in electricity and its application to the needs of man, and where he acquired some practical experience in electric lighting. During his stay in Des Moines he held the position of oiler and general utility man, starting with a salary of twenty dollars per month. After six months experience in the Des Moines station, he went to Appleton, Wisconsin, where he worked on the installation of an electric lighting plant. In the spring of 1886 he went to Chicago in the employ of the representatives of the Edison interests, and from there went to Abeline, Kansas, where he spent the winter of 1886-7. In the spring of 1887 he removed to St. Louis as foreman for a contractor for the Edison Company, which remained in business until the fall of 1887, when it moved its headquarters to Kansas City. When the company for which he was employed moved to Kansas City, Mr. Porter decided to engage in the electric construction business for himself, in which business he continued until the fall of 1889, when he sold his construction company to the Edison Company and went to New York to enter the employ fo the Edison Company as department manager.

In the summer of 1890 Mr. Porter was sent to Salem, Mississppi, as superintendent of construction of the Naumnkeag Street Railway, the construction of which was one of the largest contracts which the Edison Company had at that time. On the completion of his contract with the Edison Company, Mr. Porter returned to New York to enter in the street railway supply business in partnership with J. G. White. After operating the New York office for some time it was decided to move to the manufacturing plant at Allegheny, Pennsylvania, where the business is now conducted as a Westinghouse interest. In the fall of 1892 Mr. Porter, together with Mr. White, secured a contract for the equipment of the Kansas City Elevated Railroad, which road at that time was independent of the other railways of Kansas City and the smaller cities on the Kansas side. After completing the contract on the Kansas City elevated, Mr. Porter moved to Alton, Illinois, for the purpose of developing the street railway, gas, electric light and power business of that locality, which property, in 1893, consisted of a small horse and dummy line and an inefficient gas and electric plant. The work of developing these properties occupied Mr. Porter's attention for thirteen years, at the end of which time he had a street railway of sixty-three miles reaching from Alton to Edwardsville, Granite City, Madison, Venice, East St. Louis and intermediate points and an efficient gas and electric plant. As evidence of the fact, it was taken over by the East St. Louis & Suburban system at five million dollars.

On the 1st of May, 1906, Mr. Porter removed to Davenport as president of the Tri-City Railway & Light Company and its subsidiary companies, which are the Peoples Light Company, Davenport Gas & Electric Company, Tri-City Railway Company, Peoples Power Company of Rock Island and Moline, and the Moline, East Moline & Watertown Railway Company. Since the spring of 1906 the above mentioned properties have been extensively developed, because of the confidence which the bankers have in the community, as proven by the increase of earnings under the existing management. His has been the kind of enterprise which has been the making of the west and which is still active in obtaining illimitable resources from the fields, the mountains and the air. He has never hesitated before obstacles but has regarded disappointment and discouragements as merely stepping-stones to larger opportunity to exert his talents.

In 1888 Mr. Porter was united in marriage to Miss Jennie R. Henderson, a daughter of Robert and Polly Henderson, of Monticello, Iowa. Of the six children born to the couple, five are living, namely: Clyde H., Dugald G., Margory, Joseph F. and Ralph E. The family are members of the Congregational church.

Mr. Porter gives his support to the republican party. He has had little time to devote to public concerns but is a member of several organizations of a fraternal and social nature and others which are calculated to advance his interests in a business way. He is a member of fraternal Lodge, No. 221, A. F. & A. M., and is a thirty-second degree Mason and member of Kaaba Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of Davenport lodge, No. 293, B. P. O. E., and local camp of Modern Woodmen. Of the semi-professional associations he belongs to the Engineering Club of St. Louis and American Institute of Electrical Engineers. He is also a member of the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club, Davenport Commercial Club, Rock Island Club, Moline Club, Automobile Club of America and the American Academy of Political and Social Sciences. The number and varied character of these organizations exhibit the extent of his interests and the manner in which he keeps abreast of the times and the questions that occupy the minds and attention of his fellow citizens.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Joseph Shorey

From" Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Com 1910 Chicago

Among Davenport's lawyers whose worth is evidenced in the extent and importance of litigated interests entrusted to their care, is numbered Joseph Shorey, who in connection with the Davenport Loan, Building and Savings Association and also in political circles is likewise demonstrating his worth as a man and citizen. He was born here on the 11th of July, 1870. His father, Joseph G. Shorey, a native of Jonesboro, Maine, was born July 24, 1826, and came to Davenport in November, 1855, accompanied by his wife, who bore the maiden name of Abigail Newhall and was a native of Lynn, Massachusetts. There were also two children in the family at that time. The father was a carpenter and worked at his trade for a period, but afterward turned his attention to pumpmaking. He was quite successful and after a continued and prosperous business for a number of years retired from active life and is now enjoying a well earned rest. His life in a manner has been quietly and uneventfully passed, for he has never sought to figure prominently before the public. On the contrary he concentrated his time and energies upon his business relations until his retirement and has since devoted his attention to those things which afford him interest and recreation. In the family were seven children, four sons and three daughters, but only two are now living, the elder brother being A. O. Shorey.

Joseph Shorey was the youngest of the family and was educated in the public schools, pursuing his course until he graduated from the high school with the class of 1889. The following year he entered the University of Iowa and completed the latter course in 1892. Fro practical experience he then entered the office of Bills & Hass, with whom he remained for seven years, at the end of which time he established himself in an independent practice, opening his office in August, 1899. He has since secured a good clientage and has made steady progress along professional lines. He has also been officially connected with the Davenport Loan, Building and Savings Association since 1900 as its secretary. This association was organized in 1877 and is one of the oldest and most useful institutions of the character in the city. Mr. Shorey also figures prominently in polical circles, giving loyal allegiance to the republican party and taking active interest in local affairs. In 1900 he was elected alderman from the fourth ward but whether in office or out of it he does effective work for general improvement and advancement.

On the 7th of September, 1898, Mr. Shorey was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta Hapke, a native of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and unto them have been born two sons, Wilson H., whose birth occurred August 1, 1900; and Joseph Robert, born September 2, 1904. Mr. Shorey is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and while club and fraternal relations have played little part in his life, he is recognized as a man of social, genial nature and by his genuine worth has made many a warm friend.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

siebengartner.jpg (55728 bytes)M.L.Siebengartner

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Among the German citizens of the little village of Bettendorf who have proved that through America is not their native land it commands from them the most effective loyalty is M. L. Siebengartner, a retired farmer. He owns five acres within the boundaries of the town, this constituting his place of residence, and other real estate here. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, September 19, 1840, a son of Marcus and Theresa (Shoenmaier) Siebengartner, both of whom spent all their lives in their native country.

Mr. Siebengartner was well advanced in years before he sought a home in America. After having, received the fundamental education provided by the public schools of the fatherland he attended college at Naunten, Germany, thereafter devoting himself to agricultural pursuits in the vicinity of his birthplace. It was not until the 28th of July, 1884, that he reached Davenport, having brought his family to the United States with him, and there he found work as a teamster. Three years later he removed to Bettendorf, where he rented a tract of land and later bought the place on which he now lives. He has cultivated the soil with profit to himself and has intimately identified himself with public interests for he is a man of progressive ideas and large public spirit so that every enterprise which is calculated to advance the welfare and better the conditions of the community has received his support.

While living in Germany, October 2, 1865, Mr. Siebengartner married Miss Francise Hrabmaer and they have had seven children. Barbara, who married George Weinzell and lives in Germany, has five children, George, Max, Mary, Anna and Joe. Michael, a business man of Chicago, Illinois, married Allenia Dipple and they have four children, Elizabeth, Max, Alma and Clara. Marcus was ordained a priest of the Catholic church at Regensburg, Bavaria, and is now a professor of theology in a Catholic academy in his native land. Francise married John Holzner and lives at Bettendorf. Frank C. has remained at home and has followed in the footsteps of his father as regards interest in public affairs, being identified with some of the more important organizations of the village. He is vice president of the Bettendorf Savings Bank, is commissioner of the school board. Louis M. lives at home and assumes the management of the farm. Emma married Michael Flashman, a farmer of Davenport township.

Mr. Siebengartner was one of the men who was instrumental in building the Catholic church of the village. It was erected in 1901, with Father Dr. George Ginglinger as pastor. There were only ten Catholic families there at the time, most of them German, but the little congregation has prospered largely through Mr. Siebengartner's efforts, for besides contributing to its support he has undertaken to care for the church. He was also one of the first of the councilmen of the village and served three terms as treasurer of the school board. His interest in educational matters is especially keen, for being a product of the German schools which enjoy an international reputation for their excellence, he is anxious to raise the standard of the local institutions of learning as high as possible. In the quarter of a century in which he has lived here his influence has been felt in many ways and, being wholly worthy, he enjoys the utmost confidence of those who have watched his life from day to day.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer