kreuldwight.jpg (121547 bytes)Dwight G. Kreul, M.D.

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Dr. Dwight G. Kreul, a well known and successful medical practitioner of Davenport, was born in Wisconsin on the 11th of December, 1870, his parents being John C. and Theresa (Schmidt) Kreul. The father, a native of Saxony, Germany, obtained his education in that country and was a graduate of Prague University. In early manhood he set sail for the United States and after landing on the shores of the new world took up his abode in the state of Wisconsin. There he was actively and successfully engaged in mercantile pursuits throughout the remainder of his life, passing away in 1871.

Dwight G. Kreul supplemented his preliminary education, obtained in the public schools, by a course of study in the normal school, while subsequently he entered the University of Wisconsin. After completing his more specifically literary education he took up the study of medicine at Marquette and in 1897 won the drgree of M. D. Locating for practice in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, he there remained for a year, on the expiration of which period he went to Europe and spent about twelve months in post-graduate work at London and Vienna. On returning to the United States he opened an office in Davenport, Iowa, and has here been engaged in the general practice of medicine to the present time, his patronage steadily growing in volume and importance as he has demonstrated his ability to cope with the intricate problems which continually confront the physician.

In 1901 Dr. Kreul was united in marriage to Miss Emma Schmidt, a native of Davenport and a daughter of Robert Schmidt. They are now the parents of two children, Phyllis and Gregor. Dr. Kreul is a worthy member of the Masonic fraternity, exemplifying its teachings in his daily life. Realizing fully the obligations that devolve upon him in his professional capacity, he performs all duties with a sense of conscientious obligation and has won favorable regard by reason of his skill and his personal worth.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Claus Kroeger

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Claus Kroeger is numbered among those representative German-American citizens who came to this country from the fatherland and here found the opportunities for advancement which they sought along business lines. He is numbered among the old German settlers of Scott county and for almost four decades was actively and helpfully identified with its agricultural interests. As the result of energy, perseverance and well directed efforts he is now able to spend the evening of life in retirement, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of former years of toil. Born in Holstein, Germany, on the 14th of April, 1829, he is a son of Hans and Lena Kroeger, whose entire lives were spent in the fatherland.

For the educational advantages which Mr. Kroeger enjoyed during the period of his boyhood and youth he is indebted to the common schools of his native country, and he remained under the parental roof until the outbreak of the war of 1848-50 with Denmark, when he joined the German army and served throughout the period of hostilities. Returning home, he remained with his parents until 1854, when he responded to the call of the new world and, bidding adieu to home and fatherland, sailed for the United States, hoping to find better opportunities for advancement in business than were offered in the old world. He left Germany on the 15th of March and upon arriving in this country came direct to Davenport, which point he reached on the 20th of May, more than two months being consumed by the journey. His first work here was in the capacity of farm hand and thus he labored by the month for about six years. His inherent characteristic of thrift prompted him to carefully save his earnings and at the expiration of that period, feeling that the capital which he had accumulated was sufficient to justify such a step, he established a home of his own by his marriage, on the 21st of August,1860, to Miss Anna Lage, who was born in Germany on the 9th of March, 1839, a daughter of Henry and Anna Lage, old German settlers of Scott county. In 1847, when a little maiden of eight years, she came with her parents to the United States, the family landing at New Orleans, whence they came up the Mississippi River to St. Louis. After remaining in that city for about six weeks they continued their northward journey until they arrived in Scott county, Iowa, where the father purchased a tract of wild praire land which, by means of untiring industry, indefatigable energy and unceasing perseverance, he converted into a highly cultivated farm which later became the home of our subject.

After his marriage Mr. Kroeger took up his abode upon the farm in Davenport township upon which his father-in-law originally located, continuing to devote his time and energies to its development for more than thirty years. In the meantime he made a thorough study of agriculture, practiced rotation of crops and carried on his farming interests in a capable and businesslike way that brought most desirable results. Annually his fields yielded rich harvests as a reward for the care and labor bestowed upon them, and his agircultural interests proved a source of gratifying revenue. He purchased a farm in Lyon county, Iowa, which he later sold at a very advantageous price. That his efforts were crowned with a very substantial success is indicated by the fact that in 1893 he was able to retire from further active work. He removed to Davenport, purchasing a home at 1162 Fourteenth street, where he has since resided, a goodly competence making it possible for him to enjoy the comforts of life without further recourse to labor.

With the passing of the years the home of Mr. and Mrs. Kroeger was blessed with six children, as follows: Henry, a progressive farmer operating the old homestead, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume; Lewis, of Lyon county, Iowa; Emma, the wife of Henry Goettsch, of Lyon county; Gustav, also residing in Lyon county; Minnie, the deceased wife of Henry Bolt, of Davenport; and one who died in infancy. Politically Mr. Kroeger is independent and while still active in the world's work held several township offices. He holds membership in the German Pioneers Association and also in the Schleswig-Holstein Society, and he is widely known throughout Davenport township, where his circle of friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to seek his fortune in this country, for here he found the opportunities which he sought and by earnest, persistent and unfaltering effort carried himself forward to the goal of success. He has now passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey and can look back upon a past that has been characterized by honest labor and honorable purposes.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Hans Kruse

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clark Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Among the residents of Davenport who are now living retired, their present comfortable financial position being the direct result of former activity and enterprise along agricultural lines, is numbered Hans Kruse. He is one of those sturdy, industrious and frugal German citizens who through their untiring efforts, indefatigable energy and strong purpose have lived their lives to good efforts, indefatigable energy and strong purpose have lived their lives to good advantage and are entitled to a place among the substantial and representative citizens of Scott county. Born in Holstein, Germany, on the 7th of September, 1838, he is a son of Jochim and Anna Kruse. The father, who was a blacksmith by trade, came to the United States with his family in 1854, the ocean voyage requiring fifty-six days. After landing at New York the family did not tarry in the eastern metropolis but came by rail direct to Rock Island, Illinois, and then across the river to Davenport. In this city the father established a blacksmith shop on Fourth street and there followed his trade for about two years. At the expiration of that period he sold out and took up agricultural pursuits as a renter in Davenport township. Later he purchased land in Iowa county and developed a good farm, upon which he and his wife passed their remaining days. His death occurred when he had reached his seventy-third year, while his wife survived until ninety-one years of age. In their family were six children: Hans, the subject of this review; Claus, now deceased; Jochim, also deceased; Peter, of Iowa county; Brant, a resident of Alaska; and Lena, the wife of Henry Martin, of Davenport.

Hans Kruse acquired a good education in the common schools of Germany and was a lad of fifteen years when he accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new world. After his arrival in Scott county he was employed as a farm hand for about four years, at the expiration of which period he went to work on the farm which his father had rented in Davenport township. There he remained for about six years and then, on the 12th of November, 1867, established pleasant home relations of his own through his marriage to Miss Ida Hahn, a daughter of Wolfe Hahn, of Davenport township. After their marriage the young couple took up their abode on a farm of eighty acres which Mr. Kruse had purchased in Blue Grass township. When it came into his possession it was all wild prairie land, but with characteristic energy he fenced it in, erected a house and began the cultivation of the soil, breaking the sod and transforming the land into fertile and productive fields. With the passing of the years he brought the farm under a high state of cultivation and became so prosperous by reason of the careful conduct of his agricultural interests that he was able eventually to purchase more land in that township. He continued to make his home on that place for twenty years and then purchased a farm in Davenport township, to which he removed, leaving one of his sons to operate the old homestead. He remained on the new farm for eleven years, devoting his energies to general farming pursuits with such success that at the end of that time he was able to withdraw from active life and retire from business with a competency sufficient to supply him with all of the comforts and many of the luxuries of life. He came to Davenport in 1898 and here erected a fine residence on Brown street, where he has since made his home. A farm on one hundred and sixty acres in Davenport township, another of one hundred and twenty acres in Blue Grass township, and valuable town property are the visible evidence of a life of thrift and industry on the part of Mr. Kruse, whose success has come to him as the ligitimate and logical result of intelligently applied labor and well directed efforts.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Kruse were born two sons, namely: Charles, operating his father's farm in Davenport township, who married Katie Rugi, by whom he has two children, Erma and Ella; and Henry, on the old homestead in Blue Grass township, who married Amelia Rilk and has three children - Hilda, Ella and Norma. The wife and mother, who was born in 1847, passed away on the 3d of April, 1906, her remains being interred at Fairmount cemetery.

Mr. Kruse, whose residence in Scott county extends over a period of more than a half century, is numbered among the old settlers of this district, where he has gained an extensive circle of warm friends, and he is one of the prominent and honored members of the German pioneers Association. Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise he has given stalwart support to the men and measures of the democracy but has never sought nor desired public office as a reward for party fealty. He has, however, at all times been most public-spirited in his citizenship and although born across the water, has ever been thoroughly identified with American interests and institutions, while Scott county has no more worthy and representative citizen than this adopted son.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Major Morton L. Marks

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Major Morton L. Marks, whose title is indicative of faithful and long continued service in the Union army during the Civil war, has for more than four decades been a representative of commercial life in Davenport. A progressive spirit has always been tempered by a safe conservatism, and evenly balanced judgment has constituted the forceful element in the success which has made him one of the leading wholesale merchants of the city. He was born on a farm in New York, his parents being Enoch and Margaret (Welton) Marks. His ancestral history is one of early connection with the settlement of Connecticut. It was in that state that his grandfather followed farming in the vicinity of Burlington. Enoch Marks was born in Connecticut in 1803, was reared to agricultural pursuits and subsequently removed to New York, where he carried on farming, while later he engaged in the real-estate business in Chicago, making his home in the suburb of Oak Park. While there he made some very profitable investments in real estate. He afterward came to Davenport, where he lived retired, passing away in this city at the venerable age of eighty-three years.

Major Marks was a little lad of four years when the family removed to Camillus, New York, and his early education, which was there acquired, was completed in the high school at Syracuse, New York. He afterward came to the middle west and lived with a brother on a farm near La Salle, Illinois. He afterward engaged in teaching school for about three years in Mount Carmel, after which he took up the study of law, devoting about a year to his reading. The outbreak of the Civil war however, caused him to put aside all business and personal interests that he might defend the Union cause and, enlisting in the One Hundred and Twenty-second New York Volunteer Infantry as a private, he went to the front. He was chosen by his company for the position of first lieutenant and was afterward promoted to the captaincy of Company B. Later he was transferred to Company H as its captain and he now has his three commissions. At the close of the war he was brevetted major in honor of his gallant and meritorious service. During most of the time he was on active duty with the Army of the Potomac and served with distinction, participating in various important battles, including the engagements at Antietam, Fredericksburg and Gettysburg. In the winter of 1863-4 he was in Sanducky, Ohio, where his regiment guarded rebel prisoners. While there he became ill but as soon as possible again went south, rejoining his regiment just after the Battle of the Wilderness. He then participated in the engagements at Culpepe, Court House, Cold Harbor and Peterburg. When General Early was making his dash through the Shenandoah valley, Major Marks' regiment was sent back and met the enemy at Fort Steven, repulsing the Confederate forces. They then proceeded southward as far as Harper's Ferry and took part in the battle of Winchester. Major Marks was in command of his company at the battle and during a charge was wounded and was in the hospital for about thirty days. On the expiration of that period he rejoined his regiment, which took part in the fight at Cedar Creek and later returned to Washington, where the winter was spent. Later Major Marks joined the Army of the Potomac, with which he remained until the close of the war. His regiment then went to Danville, Kentucky, where he served as provost marshal. Subsequently he returned to Washington, where he was honorably discharged. He has always maintained pleasant relations with his comrades who wore the blue through his membership in the Grand Army of the Republic and in the Loyal Legion and he has served as quartermaster commander of the post in this city.

Removing to Davenport, Major Marks bought out the senior partner in Albert & Van Patten's Grocery Company in the year 1867. He organized the present wholesale grocery company in 1903, became its president and in its management has met with excellent success, extending its trade interests to embrace a wide territory. Its sales annually reach a large figure and the policy of the house is such as to commend it to the confidence and support of all.

On the 20th of January, 1869, Major Marks was united in marriage to Miss Helen Sanders, of Yonkers, New York, a daughter of Joseph P. Sanders, who was one of the distinguished members of the Odd Fellows society in the east, attending all the annual meetings for fifty consecutive years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Elvira Ferguson, is still living in New York, at the age of eighty-eight years. Unto Major amd Mrs. Marks were born four children: Margaret and James, now deceased; Lewis M., who married Georgia White and has three children, Margaret, Morton and George; and Charles R., of the Security Fire Insurance Company of Davenport, who married Lola Fisher.

Since coming to Davenport in 1867, Mr. Marks has been closely identified with the business interests of the city and in public affairs has wielded a wide influence, his support always being cast on the side of progress, reform and improvement. He is not only most practical in private business interests but in all of his relations to the public and has therefore done good service for the upbuilding and progress of the city. Honored and respected by all, there is no man who occupies a more enviable position in commercial and financial circles in Davenport than Major Morton L. Marks.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

James H. Marriott

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

An enterprising and progressive business man of Long Grove is James H. Marriott, who was born in Newmarket, Maryland, in 1857, and is a son of Augustus Marriott, who was engaged in the shoe business in that city. There he received his early education and lived until the approach of manhood, when he removed to the advancing west. For a time he resided in Newman, Illinois, and subsequently located in Eldridge, Iowa, where he was engaged in the painting business.

In 1887 he came to Long Grove as a clerk for George W. Curtis. After two years' experience there, in which he proved that he was endowed with considerable business acumen, he was taken into partnership by his employer, and together they conducted the general store for a number of years. Mr. Marriott finally purchased Mr. Curtis' interest. After conducting the store for a number of years by himself he reorganized a company, incorporating it under the name of Marriott, Wolf & Briceland. During the two years of its existence, they have built up a large and profitable mercantile establishment, filling a long felt need in the community of Long Grove. Mr. Marriott is its president and manager, so that to his ability and progressive spirit is due the large and up-to-date line of general merchandise to be found upon its counters and shelves. He makes every effort to satisfy the wants of his patrons and has, in consequence, met with a generous support from them. In 1890, with others, he organized the Long Grove Creamery Company, of which he is the president. It has a capacity of from one thousand to two thousand pounds of butter each day and employs a large number of men. The product of the creamery finds a ready market in Davenport and Chicago.

Since 1900 Mr. Marriott has been the postmaster of Long Grove, fulfilling his duties with the care and ability which has characterized his operations in the mercantile world. Whenever he has occasion to exercise his right of franchise he casts his vote for the candidate of the republican party, feeling in greatest sympathy with its principles. He has ever been distinguished by a desire to promote the welfare of his fellow citizens, whose unqualified respect he enjoys.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Herman Henry Meyer

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Death often removes from our midst those whom we can ill afford to lose, and the sudden demise of Herman Henry Meyer removed from Davenport one who occupied a prominent place in the business circles of the city, sharing in the honor and respect of his associates and colleagues. He was the secretary and treasurer of the Davenport Foundry & Machine Company and instituted this enterprise, which takes rank with the leading productive industries of the city. He was one of those men of substantial character and sterling worth that Germany has furnished to Iowa and in his boyhood days he accompanied his parents on their emigration from the fatherland to the new world, arriving in this country in the '50s. For a brief period they made their home in a Wisconsin town and afterward removed to St. Louis, but Herman H. Meyer soon came from that city to Davenport. Here he was united in marriage to Miss Lida Lerchen in 1865, and they established a home in which domestic felicity and happiness ever reigned. During eight or ten years Mr. Meyer acted as bookkkeeper at the Klambach grain depot and on removing from Davenport in 1867 he became a resident of Denver, Colorado, where he secured a position as bookkeeper in the German Savings bank. Subsequently he was a partner in the Handy & Meyer machinery building concern, but eventually returned to this city to organize the Davenport Foundry & Machine Company. From its inception he managed its growing business and its development was attributable in large measure to his enterprise and powers of organization. He continued in business until the time of his death, which occurred when he was fifty-three years of age. He was thus cut off in the prime of his usefulness and his loss was deeply felt in business circles as well as by friends and relatives.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Meyer were born two children: Harry H., who was educated in the State University at Champaign, Illinois; and a daughter. In October, 1892, Mr. Meyer went to Quincy, Illinois, to visit a brother and while there became ill and passed away on the 22d of the month - a life of usefulness and honorable activity being thus ended.

Mrs. Meyer is a daughter of Charles Lerchen, who came to this city from Wheeling, West Virginia, August 29, 1850, and was engaged in the saddlery business here for many years. He afterward went to Colorado, where he spent his remaining days. Since her husband's death Mrs. Meyer has made her home in Davenport, where she has a wide acquaintance including many warm friends.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

miller.jpg (86377 bytes)Severin Miller

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The life record of Severin Miller seems in harmony with nature's laws, for nature evidently intended that the evening of life should be quietly and restfully spent following years of well directed activity. Earnest, indefatigable labor, intelligently directed through many years, will always in the end win success and it has been by this means that Severin Miller acquired the competence that now enables him at the age of eighty-six years to live retired. He was born in Prussia, Germany, October 17, 1824, and is a son of Bartholomew and Anna Marie Miller, both of whom died in that country. Severin Miller attended school there and learned the machinist's trade under the direction of his father. He was a young man of twenty-two years when in 1846 he came to the United States, landing at New York after a long and tedious voyage of three months on a sailing vessel. He went to Philadelphia, where he secured employment at his trade and subsequently removed westward to St. Louis, where he entered the service of Beard & Brother, safe manufacturers, as a machinist. He was thus employed until about 1850, when he came to Davenport but after a brief period he returned to St. Louis, where he resided until 1857. In that year he again came to Davenport and built a shop and dwelling house on a lot at the corner of Gaines and Second streets, which he had purchased in 1852. There he started in business for himself, giving his attention mostly to repair work, doing much work on threshing machines and other farm machinery. He afterward admitted Charles Schaeffer to a partnership but after a short time they dissolved partnership and Mr. Miller continued the business alone until 1875, when he sold out and retired. In the meantime, however, he had extended the scope of his activities to include the manufacture of pumps and had also carried on a foundry business. He wisely used the opportunities that were presented and by his close attention to his business and his honorable methods secured a large trade.

On the 24th of June, 1862, Mr. Miller was married in Davenport to Miss Christina Baussmann, who was born in Hessen, Germany, in 1835, and died in 1872, leaving four children: Cornelia, now the wife of Dr. E. M. Singleton, of Marshalltown, Iowa, by whom she has one daughter, Miriam; Severin, a resident of San Francisco; and Julia and Helen, at home. Mr. Miller erected his present residence during war times and has occupied it for more than forty years. it is one of the old landmarks of his section of the city and has ever been a hospitable home, open for the reception of the many friends of the family.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

mitchell.jpg (131608 bytes)Judge G.C.R. Mitchell

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

NOTE: This sketch was taken from a biographical article written by M. Elizabeth McCullough, a granddaughter of Judge Mitchell.

A scholar in the breadth of his own wisdom and the appreciation of Knowledge, a statesman in his understanding of the vital problems of government, a lawyer of superior ability and a gentleman because of the innate refinement of his nature that rejected everything opposed to good taste, the names of Gilbert Chris Russell Mitchell is written large on the pages of Davenport's early history and his influence was a most potent element in shaping the early progress of the city in professional, social, educational and moral lines. The intensely human side of his nature, that which held friendship inviolable and expressed itself in acts of kindness and deeds of generosity, was never in any way overshadowed by the strength of his intellect, which, however, was far in advance of the great majority of men of his day. Born in Dandridge, Jefferson county, Tennessee, December 26, 1803, he was the only son of Nathaniel and Ann (Rhea) Mitchell. The father was born in Albemarle, now Nelson county, Virginia, in 1778. During the war the records in the courthouses of Virginia were burned, consequently little is known of his ancestry but many of the name of Mitchell from Virginia are on the Revolutionary honor roll. The family is of Scotch lineage. The father was a man of sterling qualities, honorable and high minded. He served in the war of 1812, holding the rank of colonel. His wife was born in New River county, Virginia, in 1783 and was a daughter of Archibald Rhea. Later the family removed to Tennessee, settling about a mile above Knoxville, and it was in Knox county that she became the wife of Nathaniel Mitchell. The progenitor of the Rhea family belonged to the Scotch house of Argylle - Matthew Campbell by name. Known as "The Rebel," he fought in many wars in Scotland and was finally obliged to flee to the north of Ireland, where he changed his name to Rhea. Members of the Rhea family were remarkable for attaining influence and honor wherever they lived in this country. Coming of Scotch convenanter stock, there was a strong tendency toward the Presbyterian ministry. In a single generation not only one son but two or three would enter upon that calling. Mrs. Ann Mitchell was a devoted Presbyterian and became one of the ten charter members fo the Presbyterian church of Davenport in 1839 and assisted in building the first chapel. The Rhea family were very prominent in the upbuilding and development of the south.

It was among the "over mountain people" that G. C. R. Mitchell spent his boyhood and early manhood. Though the early settlers of that locality are recognized as having been of an unusually high type, it is rather surprising that almost before the echo of the Indian war cry died away, it was possible for a boy to be as finely educated as was Gilbert Mitchell. As a child he was singularly beautiful. His health was delicate, so that he was carefully nurtured and during these early years he was laying the foundations for his thorough mental attainments and accomplishments. He spoke French and German and was versed in Greek and Latin; in his boyhood he learned to play the flute and the violin, and also understood surveying. For a time the family lived in Russellville, Alabama, and in 1818, then fifteen years of age, Judge Mitchell was attending school in Knoxville. He was afterward a student at East Tennesee College, now the University of Tennessee, where the curriculum was highly academic, and was a member of the first graduating class in the fall of 1822. He was always an apt student, at the head of his classes, and the fine "speeches" which he delivered in those days show that he was already thinking out along broad lines relative to the country, its development and welfare. He was particularly interested in the Mississippi river country, for even in boyhood his thoughts were turned to the west. Some of his college speeches are still preserved and are well worthy of perusal, showing a marked difference from the present in habits of thought; all show a remarkable command of language and clearness of thought, qualities which were afterward of value to him in his legal career. He also wrote verses, but whether at this period or later is not known.

Following his graduation Mr. Mitchell went to Moulton, Lawrence county, Alabama, where his parents were then living, and took up the study of law in the office of Judge A. F. Hopkins. He was admitted to the bar in 1825 and practiced successfully in Alabama for several years while living in Moulton. Here he was a partner of David A. Smith. For the greater part of that period he was clerk of the circuit court and was a candidate for the office of circuit judge but was defeated. In 1828 he traveled in the west with the idea of settling there. He returned, however, to Alabama and was living in Courtland in 1830 but he had not given up the idea of going west. In 1832 he went again to St. Louis but returned to Courtland, where he lived until 1834, in the meantime selling his land, with the idea of leaving there permanently. Investigation into possibilities of the middle west at length brought him to Davenport and from the time that he came to the city he sprang into instant prominence. However, he spent a year in a tour among eastern cities before coming west permanently but did not find that section of the country attractive to him. While living in the south he was seriously ill with typhoid fever and a change of climate was advised. This gave him his opportunity. He visited St. Louis, Fort Dearborn (Chicago), Galena and Dubuque, then came to Stevenson, as Rock Island was called, in May, 1835. In that your he purchased a squatter's right in Davenport - the tract of land which was later known as Mitchell's addition. He built thereon a little pioneer home, which he occupied until 1837. His parents followed him to Davenport in 1836 and his father bought land also. An old record seems to indicate that he purchased land of Antoine LeClaire but most of his property was obtained by taking up a regular squatter's claim and then buying from the government when the land was placed on the market. When this was done the claims that had been taken up by the early settlers did not conform to the government surveys, which were made about 1840. The land office was opened at Dubuque and the settlers of Davenport and vicinity agreed that Judge Mitchell should purchase all the land that were thus conveyed. Thus by a mutual give and take system each owner was bounded by the section lines of the survey. As Judge Mitchell had the confidence of all, his dictum settled all discontent. There were many instances in the early history of the community where Judge Mitchell was called upon to settle difficulties, his legal knowledge and fair-mindedness giving him unusual equipment for arbitrator. He was, moreover, "the leading practitioner of law in Davenport from his earliest settlement." On the 23d of February, 1836, a meeting was held, presumably at the home of Colonel George Davenport, on Government Island, to found the town of Davenport, on which occasion Judge Mitchell was present. The instrument was executed in his fine, clear handwriting and is now in possession of Louis A. LeClaire, a nephew of Antoine LeClaire. In an account of Davenport in 1836 the Democrat-Gazette of 1889 in speaking of Judge Mitchell said: "Our first lawyer has no taste for office. Attractive in ways of chat, scholarly, intelligent, at home in classic lore or modern thought, a thorough jurist, observant of the county's men and laws and politics, quick to see, faithful in memory, yet shunning the crowd he loved his home, his papers and his books. With these he constantly communed. His library was the best in Davenport and its owner knew its contents."

At this time Iowa was a part of the territory of Wisconsin and there is in existence a document executed February 15, 1837, by Henry Dodge, governor of the territory of Wisconsin, appointing G. C. R. Mitchell master in chancery of the county of Dubuque. This office carried with it the title of judge. At the time that Rockingham and Davenport each sought to become the county seat Judge Mitchell was nominated for representative to the legislature but was defeated. However, it was acknowledged that he was "largely instrumental in securing for Davenport the enviable distinction of being made the county seat of Scott county." With all that pertains to the early life of the city and the upbuilding of this section of the state Judge Mitchell was closely identified. Although not a Catholic at the time, he gave liberally toward the building of St. Anthony's church, which was dedicated May 23, 1838. It was for many years the largest public edifice in the town and was used by all large assemblies to deliberate upon matters of public interest. It was there that the first district court met. Father Pelamourgues, the priest in charge, "deemed it no desecration of the holy place to have it temporarily used as a temple of justice."

G. C. R. Mitchell and Jonathan Parker were the lawyers for the defense in the first case docketed in the Scott county district court and the answer of the defense is in the plain, leisurely written hand of Judge Mitchell. He also wrote the document and his was the first signature to an agreement made October 9, 1838, by the members of the Iowa bar regarding the return of court notices. In 1838 or 1839 Judge Mitchell became one of three directors of what was called "the Rock River and Mississippi Steam Navigation Company," an enterprise that did not prove a profitable venture. In 1840 he was one of three who issued a call to organize an Agricultural Society and became its vice president. He was also among the first to advertise in the Iowa Sun, which was printed in 1838. This publication was succeeded by the Davenport Gazette in 1841. In the Davenport Academy of Science are now found bound volumes of the Burlington Hawkeye of 1834 and 1844, which are Judge Mitchell's copies. When the Judge died one room in his house was entirely filled with files of newspapers in perfect order - a notable collection - and the most valuable of these files was that of the Niles Register, published in Baltimore during the period following the Revolution. At his death the Register was given to St. Ambrose College.

Judge Mitchell never sought office and in fact preferred to leave office holding to others. Yet he had no patience with those who evaded public duties. When he was nominated for judge the Iowa State Democrat said: "Judge Mitchell is a man who never seeks office and has never shown any desire for official honors but such men are just the proper persons to be nominated and they have no right to decline, unless the sacrifice of accepting office is too great." In 1843 Judge Mitchell was again a candidate for the territorial legislature on the Whig ticket. When that party dissolved Judge Mitchell affiliated with the Democratic party. He was elected as representative of Scott county to the sixth territorial legislature which convened in Iowa City, December 4, 1843. If the life of a people is reflected in the laws they frame the proceedings of a legislature are a valuable index to the times. In his message the governor made reference to the removal of the Sac and Fox Indians to the "west of the temporary boundary of Iowa" and deplored the vicious habits of the Winnebagoes. He also spoke of health conditions in the state and urged ascertaining the wishes of the people in regard to framing a state constitution. This matter was taken up during the session and referred to a select committee, on which Judge Mitchell served. He was also prominent on the committee to which was referred the protection of the frontier, for at that time militia officers were negligent in reporting the number and equipment of their respective commands, so that it was impossible for the war department to furnish them with the arms to which proper returns would entitle them. Judge Mitchell was on three standing committees, the judiciary, military affairs and engrossing bills. He was also on a committee of one from each electoral district to prepare rules for the government of the house and later when the standing committee on the library was appointed he served on it. The judiciary committee has always been the most important and his work in that connection was evidence of his great ability in legal matters. He was chairman of a special committee to which was referred a bill to amend the law then in force regarding grand and petit jurors, and served on a committee of three appointed to report on such alterations of the law regulating wills and administrators as might be deemed necessary. To the judiciary committee was referred a bill to district the county of Scott for the election of county commissioners; a bill to amend an act for the election of constables and the defining of their duties; and a bill relative to proceedings in chancery, Judge Mitchell was one of two appointed as committee of conference regarding the last named bill. The judiciary committee dealt also with a bill to amend an act defining crimes and punishments. All these questions show more or less clearly the formative condition which then prevailed and Judge Mitchell was active in framing laws and instituting measures which have been important forces in the state's development and government. Among the petitions presented by Judge Mitchell from Scott county was one praying for the establishment of a "territorial road" between Davenport and Iowa City. He introduced a memorial to the postmaster general for additional mail facilities, and most important of all was the ill he introduced for the purpose of abolishing imprisonment for debt, supplementary to a law on the same subject previously passed. Several divorces were applied for and referred to the committee on judiciary. The legislature had heretofore granted divorces. The committee offered a resolution to the effect that in their opinion such matters should be brought before a judicial tribunal rather than before the legislature. The report made on the subject is voluminous and reflects the universal seriousness with which divorce was then regarded.

In 1846 Judge Mitchell received the whig nomination for congressman at large from the state. The Gazette of that date says: "G. C. R. Mitchell, Esquire, is so well and favorably known from his long residence in the territory - having lived here when it was embraced in that of Wisconsin - that it is needless for us to speak of his qualifications. As a jurist, a scholar and an honest man we doubt if Mr. Mitchell has a superior in the territory. The Whigs can rest assured that in him they will find a faithful exponent of their principles. As representative from this county to the legislature he gave general satisfaction." He was, however, defeated by the democratic candidate. Throughout these years Judge Mitchell continued in the practice of law, occupying his place as "the foremost lawyer of Davenport in the early days."

On the 14th of April, 1852, G. C. R. Mitchell was married in St. Anthony's church to Miss Rose Anna Clarke, daughter of William and Catherine Clarke. She was born December 23, 1823, near the town of Tullamore, Kings county, Ireland, and in her early girlhood her parents brought the family to this country, settling near Cincinnati, in Brown county, Ohio. Her eldest sister, Mary, became the wife of George Meyers, one of the earliest residents of Rock Island, and a second sister, Sarah A., married George L. Davenport. Theirs was the first in the record of marriages of St. Anthony's church. When Rose Clarke was eighteen years of age she came to Davenport by steamboat from St. Louis in 1842, and for ten years she lived with her sister, Mrs. Davenport. Judge Mitchell was the first gentleman she met after her arrival. The fame of her beautiful voice had preceded her and for years she was a prominent member of St. Anthony's choir, to which Judge Mitchell also belonged. There was no organ or no melodeon in those days but they had flute, clarionet, 'cello and violin. Later when St. Anthony's secured a melodeon, Rose Clarke played on it, singing while she played. She was also an accomplished horsewoman and rode a great deal in her younger days. Judge Mitchell and his bride went south for their wedding trip. It is said that while they were in St. Louis they spent one thousand dollars in furnishing their new home, which was then considered a very unusual outlay. Most of this furniture was finely carved mahogany and a mahogany rocking chair which was a wedding gift from George L. Davenport is now in possession of their daughter, Mrs. William J. McCullough. After living for a time on the west side of Main street, between Fourth and Fifth streets, Judge Mitchell and his family removed to the corner of Eighth and Marquette streets. Separate from the house but on the same grounds was the office, built so after the southern custom. Later, removal was made to the present location of St. Mary's Home. Mrs. Mitchell and Mrs. Davenport, the "Clarke sisters," were considered the best housekeepers in Davenport.

Recognizing the needs of the city in many directions, Judge Mitchell devoted and found time to support and cooperate in movements that met these needs. In 1854 he became engaged in a new venture, becoming associated with C. S. Whisler in establishing a ferry after obtaining a ten years' charter from Iowa. In the winter of 1854-55 they made an effort to obtain a charter from the Illinois legislature but failed. Having authority to carry but one way, business was unprofitable but in the latter year they sold their Iowa franchise to their competitors for two thousand dollars and afterward disposed of their boat, the Ione. It was also in 1854 that Charles E. Putnam came to Davenport and studied law under Judge Mitchell, by whom he was admitted to a partnership that existed until 1857, when Mr. Mitchell became district judge. From 1855 until 1857 his activity in public life reached its height. Old files show that on the 1st of March, 1855, a meeting of Scott county democrats was called by G. C. R. Mitchell, G. E. Hubbell and others, for the formation of a democratic club. In the same year he was a member of the city council. At that time Davenport was plunged into bonded indebtedness beyond its constitutional limit. Judge Mitchell was very conservative and opposed increasing the indebtedness in all the votes he gave as alderman. In 1856 he was elected mayor and in his official capacity appointed a committee to commence action, enjoining the continuance of the bonded indebtedness. The action succeeded and the injunction was made perpetual. The following spring a bar convention held in Lyons offered him the nomination for judge of the fourteenth judicial district. This was the first attempt in the district to take the election of judges out of politics, a plan now followed. In the Iowa State Democrat appeared the following editorial comment: "G. C. R. Mitchell is too well known in all the three counties of this district to render it necessary to speak of his abilities. He has one of the best judicial minds of any man in the district and he is the soul of honor. His most intimate and dearest friend could never move him to any act of partiality so long as he should wear the ermine. So spotless is his reputation in this respect that no man will be found with hardihood enough to question it." Another newspaper characterized him as a man "of eminent qualifications for the post to which he had been nominated." Though the Gazette tried to make the election a party issue, Judge Mitchell was elected by a handsome majority - a fact indicative of his personal popularity and the high regard entertained for him in a professional way, for he was the only democrat elected. Though he resigned from the office of judge in the fall of the year in which he went upon the bench, he left a strong and lasting impression upon the judicial history of Iowa. Davenport Past and Present, in a biography of Judge Mitchell published before his death, says: "As a jurist Judge Mitchell takes a high position. He is profoundly discriminative, a keen, careful analyst, and one whose deductions are always reliably correct. His mental processes are seemingly slow but in reality rapid, for while others would dash to a conclusion (often the wrong one) with an imperfect view of a few contiguous facts, he traverses the whole ground, omitting nothing, however seemingly trivial or great; and although he may be twice as long in evolving a question as another, he performs ten times the labor and his conclusion is in the same proportion more worthy of credence. If he has one trait more prominent than another, it is his thorough comprehensiveness, his ability to include everything in his examination of a subject, and add to this a nice instinctive and cultivated perception of the character and weight of a fact, and one may see why he rarely goes wrong, or commits errors in conclusions." Elsewhere the statement is found that "he stood the peer of the greatest men of his time in Iowa."

In December, 1858, Judge Mitchell was called upon to go as a delegate from Scott county to the general convention at Iowa City to consider taking action regarding state aid to railroads. He was chairman of the meeting and was also a member of the committee of five which memorialized the governor to call an extra session of the legislature relative to the matter. In the later years of his life Judge Mitchell lived quietly, happy in his home life with his family and his friends and his books around him. Unto him and his wife were born six children, of whom Henry M., Anna M. E., Mary Catherine and Martha M. died in childhood. The eldest son, Nathaniel Stephen, lived to the age of thirty-three and at his death left a wife and five children. He inherited brilliant gifts of mind and while at college was considered an exceptional student in all the branches of general education. He was talented along artistic lines and was an excellent musician. For many years he directed the choir at St. Marguerite's church. He was a lawyer by profession. The only living child of Judge and Mrs. Mitchell is Josephine Mary, the wife of William J. McCullough. She is convent bred, having received an excellent education, and is a woman of great beauty. She is also an artist of ability. She has a gentle, serene nature and above all else is the devoted wife and mother. Mr. and Mrs. McCullough are the parents of six children.

On one occasion Judge Mitchell lost ten thousand dollars, all of the cash which he possessed, in a bank failure, but he was the owner of valuable property that included a large tract of land north of his residence and known as Mitchell's Bluff. He was very liberal with his wealth, gave generously to the poor and often loaned money when he knew it would never be returned. He never refused his professional service to those unable to pay and when he died there was sixty thousand dollars due him as fees which was never collected. He was especially generous to the church, gave the land on which St. Kunigunda's (now St. Joseph's) church was built in 1855 and also the land on which the new church building next to the old one was erected. Mrs. Mitchell after her husband's death was a most generous supporter of St. Mary's church, for which she selected the name. Judge Mitchell and George L. Davenport donated ten acres of land to the Sisters of Charity, on which in 1859 was established a school for young ladies that was the beginning of what is now the Immaculate Conception Academy. Judge Mitchell possessed one of the finest private libraries in the state and was ever a man of broad and liberal culture, thoroughly informed concerning philosophy and kindred subjects, history and general branches of learning and research. He was extremely modest regarding his gifts of mind and would never attempt to write on law or literature, although his friends frequently urged him to do so. He spent some time in travel, especially in the south. To slavery as an institution he was strongly opposed but did not take an active part in slavery agitation. He suffered a stroke of apoplexy December 6, 1865, and died on the evening of that day. Funeral services were held December 8th, the impressive rites of the Catholic church being celebrated over the remains at St. Kunigunda's church, on which occasion Father Pelamourgues delivered a feeling and appropriate address, while the members of the Old Settlers Association attended the services in a body. Mrs. Mitchell survived her husband almost forty-two years. She was a woman of strong qualities, possessing a fine, grave nature. After his death she developed an unusual business ability, was a splendid manager and, like Judge Mitchell, was very generous. One of the newspapers of recent years said: "Mrs. Rose A. Mitchell lived on one of the city's most beautiful eminences, where she passed her declining years in works of quiet charity and the profoundest piety." She died March 23, 1907, after a week's illness at the home of her daughter, Mrs. McCullough, and the funeral services were held in St. Mary's church on the 26th of March.

The Schmalhaus portrait of Judge Mitchell, which was taken from a daguerreotype of an early day, was placed in the courthouse at the request of the members of the Scott county bar. Judge Mitchell was far above the mediocre, the commonplace. Such men as he are rare. In the story of his life can be found nothing discreditable or ignoble. Of wonderful fineness and sensitiveness of nature, remarkably gifted mind and endearing qualities, public-spirtied, honorable and high-minded, he stands out vividly as an incentive and an inspiration. So long as the history of Davenport and Scott county is remembered will the name of Judge Mitchell be held in honor.

Henry Moeller

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Henry Moeller is one of the most prominent and wealthy of the many successful agriculturists of Cleona township, although he has now forsaken the active work of the farm, to which he devoted himself with such energy for so many years and now makes his home in the village of Walcott. He was born in the province of Mecklenburg, Germany, September 17, 1848. His parents, John and Caroline Moeller, were also natives of the fatherland and came to the United States in 1854. Immediately after their arrival in this country they came to Scott county, Iowa, locating in Blue Grass township, where Mrs. Moeller died. She was not able to withstand the hardships of travel in those early days when there was nothing to shorten the tiresome journey across the ocean, and the means of crossing the mountains and prairies were most primitive. Mr. Moeller himself did not live to see the great change which transformed the character of this county for he passed away seven years after his advent here. Only two sons were born to him and his wife - Henry, the subject of this review; and Charles, a resident of Shelby, Iowa.

Henry Moeller, when being deprived of his father's guidance in his youth, found employment and a home upon his uncle's farm, where he remained until he reached man's estate, and, having married, was filled with the natural desire to make a home of his own. Accordingly he bought a large tract of land in Cleona township, to whose cultivation he devoted himself assiduously until May 22, 1906, when he left that a large income, the generous return of his years of labor, entitled him to the respite from toil he desired and he took up his residence in Walcott. He had previously built a fine residence, whose many modern conveniences indicate the progressive spirit which was as potent a factor in his success as the industry and frugality. In addition to operating his own place, Mr. Moeller improved and cultivated a fine tract of one hundred and thirty-four acres belonging to his wife and another of sixty acres owned by his mother-in-law.

On the 6th of February, 1876, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Moeller and Miss Caroline Feuerbach, who was born in Cleona township, this county, April 14, 1858, and is a daughter of John and Mary Elizabeth (Dietz) Feuerbach. Her father was a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, where his birth occurred May 20, 1817, and he came to the United States in 1853. He was accompanied by his sister Lizzie, who later became the wife of Jacob Adorney and was the only other member of his family to come to America. She like her husband has now passed away. Mr. Feuerbach had learned the trade of a carpenter in the land of his birth, but after coming to this country worked in the mines of Pennsylvania while that state was his home, and when he took up his residence in Scott county, Iowa, devoted himself exclusively to agricultural pursuits. He first bought forty-eight acres of land in Cleona township, to which he added extensively in the course of years until at the time of his death he owned five hundred acres. This is now in the possession of his widow and part of it is operated by his son Henry. In Pennsylvania, July 11, 1853, Mr. Feuerbach was united in marriage to Miss Mary Elizabeth Dietz, who was also born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, December 18, 1832. In 1853 she came to America with her parents, John and Marie Elizabeth (Mock) Dietz, who settled in the Keystone state and latter came to Scott county, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Caroline, who is the wife of Mr. Moeller, and Henry, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work, where the children granted to Mr. and Mrs. Feuerbach.

Mr. and Mrs. Moeller have seven children, namely: Willie, who resides upon his father's farm; Bertha, who is the wife of John Hein, of Cleona township; Amelia, the wife of Louis Gibson, of Blue Grass township; Theresa, who married Julius Hein, a brother of John Hein, and a resident of Cleona township; Elizabeth, the wife of Adolph Rodgens, of Cleona township; Ella, who married George Reisen, of Fulton township, Muscatine county, Iowa; and Ferdinand, who lives with his brother Willie on the home farm.

Mr. Moeller is one of the most substantial representatives of the German race who have come to this country, and through the strong traits of their character have raised the standard of citizenship here, while at the same time they have contributed to the sum total of the prosperity which distinguishes this county and state.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

Rev. Francis I. Moffatt

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Rev. Francis I. Moffatt is now living retired in Davenport, but for many years gave his time to the work of the Presbyterian ministry. He now derives his income from a good farm which he owns in Cedar county. He was born in New Castle, Pennsylvania, September 8, 1835, his parents being James and Hannah (Moffat) Moffatt. So far as the ancestry records show, the family originated in Scotland. Both parents died at New Castle, where the father followed farming as a life work. They were the parents of seven children, but the only one still living is Francis I., of this review, W. J., a twin brother of our subject, was a minister of the gospel and passed away on the 25th of January, 1910. His health became impaired while he was a missionary in Indian Territory and prior to his demise he lived retired at New Castle, Pennsylvania. Hannah K., Sarah J., Mary and Eliza J. are all deceased. Robert T., the youngest, died from the effects of military experience. He was a prisoner at Libby and Andersonville for a considerable time during the Civil war and when paroled returned home and died soon afterward.

Rev. Francis I. Moffatt remained a resident of his naive town until about eighteen years of age and then entered the Westminster Collegiate Institute at New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, to supplement the education which he had already acquired in the public schools. The year of his matriculation was 1854 and of his graduation, 1857. He there pursued a general course and afterward entered the Western Theological Seminary at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where he studied for the ministry, completing a three years' course by graduation in 1860. He was licensed to preach on the 20th of June of that year as a minister of what was then known as the Free Presbyterian church. His first charge was in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia, where he remained for about two years. He afterward had charge of different churches in Pennsylvania and in 1866 made his way westward to Illinois, where he took charge of the Irish Grove church in Sangamon county near Springfield. In the meantime he had withdrawn from the Free Presbyterian church and entered the regular Presbyterian church on account of its attitude concerning the question of slavery. He remained as pastor of the Irish Grove church for six years, after which he took up his abode at Cornwall, Henry county, Illinois, where he continued in pastoral labors for eleven years. On the expiration of that period he became minister of the Red Oak church in Cedar county, Iowa, where he continued for five years, after which he came to Scott county and took charge of the Summit church in Lincoln township. He lived in the parsonage there for five years, during which time he earnestly and zealously pursued his ministerial labors, after which he retired and removed to the town. He continued to supply the church, however, for about a year, or until they could obtain a regular minister. He also acted as supply in the church at Eldridge. Conscientious, earnest and consecrated in all of his labors, his work in behalf of the church was of a beneficial character with far-reaching effects. Logical and entertaining in address, strong and unfaltering in purpose and actuated at all times by a deep love of humanity, he put forth his efforts in pastorate work and as a preacher labored for the benefit of all mankind, nor was he denied the rich harvest nor the aftermath.

Rev. Moffatt was married October 12, 1878, to Miss Elizabeth Orr, a daughter of Mathew and Susanna Orr, of Henry county, Illinois. They have become parents of seven children. William, now living in Oklahoma, married Julia Brown Shillito, and they have one son, Philip J. Florence M. is the wife of William B. Bennett, of Madison, Wisconsin, and they have one child, Florence Louise. John J., now living in Muskogee, Oklahoma, married Hazel Woods and is engaged with his brother William in the real-estate business. Robert T., who married Della Booth, is living on his father's farm. Mary E. and Edwin are at home, and Foster O. died July 31, 1897, at the age of four years. Four children of the family were graduated from the Wisconsin University, where they pursued literary and scientific courses. All have been liberally educated and the Moffatt home has ever been one of advance, intelligent culture, emanating an influence for good that is felt throughout the community. Actuated by the higher influence for good that is felt throughout the community. Actuated by the higher purposes of life, Rev. Moffatt has given his attention to a work that has made him a man of far-reaching influence and his precept and example have been factors in promoting righteousness, justice, truth and morality among his fellowmen.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

S.H. Moorhead

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

It is seldom that an individual wins distinction in more than one line of business or has time to devote himself to more than one line of activity. An exception to this rule, however, is found in the life record of S. H. Moorhead, who not only is identified with various lines of business in Buffalo, but is also a well known and influential figure in financial and political circles of the community.

Scott county, Iowa, numbers him among her native sons, his birth occurring in Buffalo township on the 28th of October, 1861, a son of H. C. and Mary Moorhead. The former came to Scott county in 1835, from Zanesville, Ohio, and here purchased what was then known as the Campbell place, consisting of three hundred and twelve acres of land in Buffalo township, just west of the village of Buffalo. There he reared his family and spent his remaining days. Our subject was one of a family of four sons and two daughters born unto Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Moorhead, and of this number three sons and two daughters lived to reach mature years. The brother, William Moorhead, who still survives, makes his home on a portion of the old homestead, while one sister, Mrs. D. B. Morehouse, of Davenport, is now deceased.

On his father's farm S. H. Moorhead was reared to manhood, acquiring his education in the public schools of Buffalo, and devoting the time not given to his text-books to the work of the fields, early becoming familiar with the tasks that fall to the lot of the farm lad. Amid the busy activities of the farm he learned many lessons concerning the value of industry, integrity and perseverance - lessons which served as an excellent foundation stone upon which to build his future business success. After leaving school he devoted several years to the occupation to which he had been reared, engaging as a farm hand, and then, on the 1st of September, 1886, in connection with his brother-in-law, Mr. Dorman, started his present lumber business. In 1889 he purchased his brother-in-law's interest in the business and has since conducted the enterprise alone. He does a general business in lumber and building materials, having an extensive trade, not only throughout Buffalo township, but also in several Illinois towns lying across the river. A man of excellent business ability and wise sagacity, he has made a close study of the demands of the trade and has ever kept in close touch with the lumber market, so that he not only knows where and when to purchase, but also how to sell to the best advantage, and has become a well known and prominent figure in lumber circles of Scott county.

Mr. Moorhead has also found time to direct his attention to other business channels and has dealt considerably in real estate. He is the owner of a section of land in Canada and also owns a part of the old homestead farm, upon which his brother William resides. In April, 1909, he became the prime mover in the organization of the Buffalo Savings Bank and was elected its first president, in which office he is still incumbent. This bank has already become an important factor in financial circles, taking its place among the safe and reliable moneyed institutions of the community, and much of its rapid progress and success is due to the well directed efforts of its president, whose reputation for integrity and honesty in all business dealings is universally conceded. He is thoroughly identified with its interests and is doing everything in his power to increase its influence and standing in the locality.

In June, 1891, in Buffalo, Mr. Moorhead was united in marriage to Miss Amelia Dorman, a daughter of Henry Dorman, of Buffalo, and this union has been blessed with one daughter, Flora, who is at present a student in the Davenport high school.

The religious connection of Mr. Moorhead is indicated by the fact that he was baptized in the faith of the Episcopal church, while fraternally he holds membership in Banner Lodge, No. 16, K. P., and in Buffalo Camp of Modern Woodmen of America. Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise, he has given stalwart allegiance to the republican party and has been called by his fellow citizens to fill various local offices, including that of councilman. He has also served as a member of the school board, the cause of education ever finding in him a stanch advocate. Preeminently a man of business, his efforts in connection with various enterprises have served as potent factors in stimulating activity along those lines, and he justly deserves a foremost place among the substantial, influential and representative citizens of Buffalo township, within whose borders his entire life has been spent and where he is respected, trusted and admired by an extensive circle of warm friends.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer

J.B. Morgan, D.D.S.

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Dr. J. B. Morgan, who enjoys the distinction of being the oldest practitioner in dentistry in Davenport, was also one of the first of Iowa's sons to go to the support of the Union when the great struggle between the north and south was inaugurated. He was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, July 6, 1839. His father, James B. Morgan, was native of England and came to the United States when about eighteen years of age. He settled in Pennsylvania and there married Miss Margaret C. Boyd, who in her girlhood days had left Ireland, her native country, and had become a resident of the Keystone state. When Dr. Morgan was but six months old his father died and the mother afterward married again. In 1844 she came to Iowa, settling in Delaware county, where she continued to make her home until the time of her removal to Dakota a few years prior to her demise.

Dr. J. B. Morgan, who was but five yars of age when brought to Iowa, was reared upon the home farm in Delaware county and after mastering the branches of learning taught in the district schools attended Lenox College at Hopkinton. When the first call for troops was issued by President Lincoln he made quick response, enlisting on the 20th of April, 1861, as a member of Company I, First Iowa Infantry. On the expiration of his term of service he was honorably discharged August 21, 1861, but soon reenlisted, becoming a private of Company K, Twelfth Iowa Infantry, on the 7th of September. On the 25th of November of the same year he was promoted to rank of first sergeant. Later he was discharged and reenlisted as a veteran volunteer of Company K, Twelfth Iowa Infantry, February 17, 1864, and on the 5th of February, 1865, he was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant of that company, with which he remained until his military service was ended in March, 1866. The First Iowa Infantry was the only three months' regiment that went from this state. In was organized at Camp Elsworth, Keokuk, and left Iowa, June 12, 1861, being assigned to duty along the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad from Hannibal to Mason City. The troops were there relieved in order to join General Lyon at Boonville, and an advance was made on Springfield, Missouri, from June 27 to July 5. Dr. Morgan participated in the action at Forsyth, Missouri, on the 22d of July and at Dug Springs, August 2, followed by the battle of Wilson's Creek on the 10th of August.

The Twelfth Iowa Infantry, his second regiment, was organized at Dubuque and mustered into service November 25, 1861. They moved to St. Louis, November 28, and were on duty at Benton Barracks until January 27, 1862. Proceeding to Cairo, Illinois, they thence went to Smithland, Kentucky, and were on duty with the First Brigade, Second Division of the District of West Tennessee, from February until April, 1862; with the Union Brigade, District of Corinth, Department of Tennessee, to December, 1862; First Brigade, District of Corinth, Sixteenth Army Corps, of the Tennessee, to January, 1863; Third Brigade, Third Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, April to December, 1863; Third Brigade, First Division, right wing Sixteenth Army Corps, to November, 1864; Third Brigade, First Division, detachment Sixteenth Corps, to February, 1865; Third Brigade, First Division, Sixteenth Corps, Army of the Gulf, service; expedition up Tennessee river, February 5-6, 1862; capture of Fort Henry, Tennessee, February 6; Fort Donelson, Tennessee, February 13-16; duty at Fort Donelson until March 12; moved to Pittsburg Landing, March 12-21; battle of Shiloh, April 6-7; advance and siege of Corinth, Mississippi, April 26 to May 30; pursuit to Brownsville, May 31 to June 12; duty at Corinth until December 18; battle of Corinth, October 3-4; pursuit to Ripley, October 5-12; ordered to Davenport, Iowa, December 18; defense of Jackson, Tennessee, December 20, 1862, to January 4, 1863; moved to Davenport, Iowa, January 4-7, and on duty there until March 27th; thence to Duck Port, Louisiana, April 9-14; movement on Bruensburg and turning Grand Gulf, May 2-12; Jackson, May 14; Big Black river, May 17; siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi, May 18- July 4; assault on Vicksburg, May 19-22; surrender of Vicksburg, July 4; advance on Jackson, July 5-10; siege of Jackson, July 10-15; Brandon, July 19-20; camp at Big Black river until November expedition to Brownsville, October 16; moved to Memphis, November 7-12; on general duty to January, 1864; moved to Vicksburg, Mississippi, Feburary 1-6; expedition to Canton, February 25- March 4; on veteran's furlough, March and April; moved to Memphis, April 28- May 2; Smith's expedition through Mississippi, June 16- July 18; Pontotoc, July 11; Harrisburg, July 13; Tupelo, July 14-15; Old Town Creek, July 15; expedition to Oxford, July 31- August 23; Tallahatchie river, August 7-9; Abbeville and Oxford, August 12; Hurrican, August 13-14; College Hill, August 21-22; Abbeville, August 23; moved to Duvall's Bluff, September 1; pursuit of Price through Missouri, September 7- November 15; moved to Nashville, Tennessee, November 23 - December 1; battle of Nashville, December 15-16; pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee river, December 17-30; duty at Clifton, Tennessee, and Eastport, Mississippi, until February 7, 1865; moved to New Orleans, Louisiana, February 7-22; thence to Dauphine Island, Alabama, March 7-8; siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely, March 25- April 8; Fort Blakely, April 9; capture of Mobile, April 12; march to Montogomery, April 13-25; duty there until May 12; moved to Selma, May 12, and duty there and district of the Talladega until December; and detached at Selma for duty in the organization of the Freedman's Bureau.

Such in brief is the history of Dr. Morgan's connection with the Union army but it tells little of the long, hard marches, the difficult sieges and the long and weary waiting in winter quarters. All the experiences meted out to the soldier were his, but never did he falter in the performance of any duty and from first to last was at the front valiantly defending the Union cause.

Upon leaving the army Dr. Morgan returned to the pursuits of civil life. In the fall of 1866 he began attending lectures at Rush Medical College, of Chicago, with the intention of making the practice of medicine his profession. After attending one course of lectures he decided to take up the study of dentistry and accordingly entered the Philadelphia Dental College, from which he was graduated in 1868. The same year he came to Davenport, which has since been the scene of his professional activities. On the 1st of June, 1869, he purchased the office and practice of Dr. Gunckle, and the forty years of his labors here make him the oldest dentist in the three cities which are linked by common interests. He is not only the dean of the profession but has remained throughout the years a foremost representative in all that indicates progress and capability. Reading, research and study have kept him in touch with the onward march of the profession, his methods of practice today being utterly dissimilar to those which were in vogue when he started out four decades ago. His office is equipped with the latest appliances and at all times he has enjoyed the highest regard of his fellow practitioners as well as the general public.

On the 28th of September, 1871, Dr. Morgan was united in marriage to Miss Minnie C. Harris, a native of Sag Harbor, New York. He has long been a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, of the Loyal Legion and of the Union Veterans Union, thus maintaining pleasant relations with his old army comrades. He is indeed a wonderful man for his age, faithful, cheerful and vigorous, as fond of a fishing trip or outing as many a one of fewer years and enjoying life with the full zest of his juniors. He stands high both professionally and socially and in citizenship is as loyal to his county as he was when he followed the old flag on southern battlefields.

Transcribed by Debbie Gerischer