Henry J. Wuestenberg Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Wuestenberg, Schlapkohl, Grell, Henrickson, Hess, Jacobsen, Steffan, Quisdorf 

                An enterprising and progressive spirit has characterized the life work of Henry J. Wuestenberg, who is now a resident of Donahue. He was born in Davenport, February 28, 1866, a son of August and Dorothea (Schlapkohl) Wuestenberg, both of whom were natives of Holstein, Germany, the former born March 6, 1829, and the latter July 2, 1834. They were married, however, in Davenport, in 1852. The father, who was a shoemaker by trade, followed that occupation in the land of his nativity and also for some years after coming to Scott county. In 1870 he engaged in farming and at the time of his demise had acquired three hundred acres of land, located in Allens Grove township, four miles north of Donahue. Mr. and Mrs. August Wuestenberg had ten children, the record being as follows: Minnie, the wife of Henry Grell, of Allens Grove township; Sophia, the wife of Jacob Henrickson, also of that township; Emma, the wife of Conrad Hess, a resident of this section of the county; Henry J., of this review; Lizzie, the wife of Peter Jacobson, who resides in Donahue; Ferdinand, who makes his home in Allens Grove township; Otto, who died at the age of sixteen years; Gusta, who passed away in 1884 when about eleven years of age, her birth having occurred in 1873; and John and William, twins, who were born in 1876. The former makes his home in Allens Grove township, but the latter died in 1884, when about eight years of age. The parents have likewise been called to the home beyond, the mother’s death occurring October 25, 1897, while the father survived for a few years and passed away on the 28th of January, 1904, when in his seventy-fifth year.

                Henry J. Wuestenberg was reared in Davenport to his fourth year, at which time the family took up their abode on a farm in Allens Grove township. As soon as old enough he was set to work in the fields and continued to assist his father until 1888, when, a young man of twenty-two years, he purchased a threshing outfit and began operations in this line. In 1897 he opened a feed mill in Donahue, which he still conducts. In 1903 he equipped himself for moving houses and has since been ready to meet all demands in this line of activity. Anything along mechanical lines is of interest to him and although his business is diversified, it will be seen that it all follows in this particular direction and is conducted successfully. In his earlier years he worked at railroad construction and he there proved his aptitude in mechanics, which he has made his life work.

                Mr. Wuestenberg was married September 23, 1896 to Miss Emma A. Quisdorf  who was born in Liberty township, Scott county, March 7, 1875, a daughter of F. A. and Lena (Steffan) Quisdorf, both natives of Holstein, Germany, whence they came to Scott county in 1848 and now live in Dixon. The are mentioned elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Wuestenberg have three sons: Raymond, Elmer and Clarence. They lost their only daughter, Adeline, the youngest in the family, at the age of three years.

                A democrat in principle and practice, Mr. Wuestenberg’s interests are closely allied with everything of a public nature. For ten consecutive years he has served as township assessor and he has also been assessor of Donahue. Upon the recent incorporation of the village he was elected street commissioner and is still the incumbent in that office. He is a stockholder in the Donahue Savings Bank and takes a deep interest in this and other enterprises of Donahue. His fraternal relations are with K. P. Lodge, No. 299, at Dixon, the Evening Star Lodge, the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Davenport and the Home Guard of the World at Dixon. He is true to the terms of a contract and is deserving of the success he has attained in industrial circles.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Joseph Helble Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Helble, Snow, Schlotfeldt, Hening, Faesser, Carter, Holtz 

                Joseph Helble, who carried on general farming and has also devoted considerable time to the butchering business, was born in Davenport, August 6, 1858, a son of Gerhardt and Amelia (Snow) Helble, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father, who was born in Wurtemberg, December 27, 1826, came to America in early life and in Wisconsin wedded Miss Amelia Snow. They are still living and are now residents of Princeton. The father has followed farming during the greater part of his life. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Gerhardt Helble were six children, namely: Joseph; William, who is a resident farmer of Butler township; Mary, who died in Princeton in the year 1906; Clara, the wife of Herman Schlotfeldt, who is a brewer living in Port Townsend, Washington; and John, who married Emma Hening and is a farmer residing on the old family homestead.

                Joseph Helble acquired his education in the district school of Butler township and early became familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. In young manhood he also learned the butcher’s trade and he has given his time and energies to that business and to general farming. He has always been diligent, active and enterprising and his success has come as the reward of earnest, persistent labor.

                On the 17th of February, 1882, Mr. Helble was married to Miss Sophia Faesser, a daughter of Jacob and Genevieve Faesser, both of whom were residents of Princeton township at the time of their death. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Helble have been born seven children: Charles, who married Rhoda Carter and is now cashier and manager in a department store at Falls City, Oregon, where he resides; Carrie, the wife of Edward Holtz, who is living on a farm in Butler township and has three children; Lydia, who is with her parents in Princeton; and Arthur, George, Elmer and Ernest, also at home.

                Mr. Helble gives his political support to the republican party but has never sought or desired office, preferring to concentrate his time and energies upon business affairs. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Royal Neighbors, all of Princeton. For a quarter of a century he has been a member of the Lutheran church and his well spent life has gained him the esteem and confidence of all who know him, while his activity and energy in business have been the source of the success which has made him one of the substantial citizens of the community.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Fritz Kardel Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Kardel, Evers, Luwe, Hagedorn, Stoltenberg, Koberg, Klindt, Sindt 

                Among those in Scott county who through the cultivation of its rich soil have gained a competency that now enables them to live retired, is Fritz Kardel. Born in Holstein, Germany, December 22, 1834, his parents were John and Minnie (Evers) Kardel. The father, a carpenter by trade, followed that work as a means of livelihood in his native land. In 1853 he emigrated with his family to the new world. Landing at New York city, he continued his journey to Davenport, making the trip by rail and by team and wagon to Rock Island, Illinois, whence he crossed the Mississippi river to Davenport, arriving here on the 4th of July, 1853. The trip was a long and arduous one, requiring steady travel for two months. The mother died about four weeks after their arrival in the new world, and the father, having in the meantime purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land in Hickory Grove township, subsequently removed with his daughter and two sons to the place. The daughter acted as housekeeper and the father and his two sons undertook to develop and improve the farm. As above stated he was a carpenter by trade and this proved a valuable asset to him in improving his place. On the farm the father and his son Fritz also did carpenter work, building shanties along the line of the first railroad that was under construction through the west. In his later years he put aside business cares and removed to Davenport, where he had previously purchased a nice home and here he passed away in 1886. He became a valued and influential citizen of this section of the county and although he had to face many obstacles when he arrived in the new world, he possessed that tenacity of purpose that led him upward to success and at the time of his death he was a well-to-do man. The daughter, Frederica, became the wife of Henry Luwe, of Davenport, but she is now deceased. Henry is living retired in Davenport, owning six hundred acres of valuable land in Hickory Grove township. He wedded miss Katherine Hagedorn, a daughter of Claus and Margaret Hagedorn, of Scott county, on the 18th of November, 1864. They have three children. John married Katherine Stoltenberg, lives in Scott county and has one child, Gilbert. Amanda is the wife of Ferdinand Stoltenberg, of Durant, Iowa, and they have two daughters, Lillie and Lulu. Theodore, who lives in Scott county, wedded Anna Koberg, by whom he has one son, Robert.

                Fritz Kardel, the other member of the family, was educated in the schools of Germany and was a youth of nineteen years when he accompanied the family on the emigration to the new world. He proved a valuable assistant to the father in gaining a start in the new world and the knowledge he himself gained also proved a factor in later life when he started out to make his own way in the world. In 1880 he purchased two hundred and one acres of land in Cleona township, to which he removed, and after operating the place for about seven years he abandoned business pursuits and removed to Davenport, where he owns and occupies the residence purchased by the father many years ago. He still owns his farm and the rental of this supplies him with all the comforts of life.

                Mr. Kardel was married October 29, 1861, to Miss Margaret Klindt, a daughter of Henry and Katherine Klindt, of Scott county. Mrs. Kardel came alone to the new world from Germany when a young lady of eighteen years. Her parents came later and both passed away in Scott county. She is the eldest in a family of five children, the others being: Claus; Henry; Katherine; the wife of John Sindt; and Helen, deceased. Both Mr. Kardel and his brother are members of the German Pioneer Society. In early life he shared with the other members of the family in the hardships incident to establishing a home in a new country, where the language, manners, and customs are unfamiliar to those of foreign birth. He, however, addressed himself to the task and his activity in business not only contributed to his individual success but was also a factor in the development of Scott county and he is now accounted one of the honored pioneer settlers and retired residents of Davenport.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Edward R. Taylor Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Taylor, Noble, McKim 

                Edward R. Taylor is giving his entire time to the raising of fruit on forty acres of land in Buffalo township. He was born in Preston Minnesota, April 5, 1866, a son of William Murray and Caroline R. (Noble) Taylor, the former born in Jamestown, New York, in 1825, and the latter in Essex Junction, Vermont. The father was a merchant tailor in Preston for many years but in 1894 came to Scott county, where he has since made his home.

                Edward R. Taylor was reared in the place of his nativity and acquired his education in the public schools. After putting side his text-books he was employed as a clerk and as buyer of wheat in a flour mill at Preston for a time but in 1886, seeking the broader opportunities to be enjoyed in a city, he went to Minneapolis, and for several years was engaged as a reporter on the Minneapolis Tribune. In 1894 he came to Buffalo township, Scott county, with his father and mother, and the latter having inherited forty acres of land from her father’s estate, the tract having been settled by him in 1836, Edward R. Taylor took up his abode on the farm. He is devoting this to horticultural pursuits, his principal products being grapes, plums, pears, peaches and all kinds of berries. He has made a close study of fruit-raising, understands thoroughly the care of his trees and shrubs so that they will bear good crops in their respective seasons and thus he is meeting with success in his field of labor. He finds no difficulty in disposing of his products in the Davenport market, where it demands good prices, owing to its fine quality.

                Mr. Taylor was united in marriage to Miss Jennie McKim, a daughter of Daniel R. McKim, of Troy, Indiana. The father now makes his home with his daughter. Mr. Taylor votes for the men and measures of the republican party but is not a man in public life in the sense of office seeking. He prefers to devote his full time to his private business affairs and his labors are bringing him a merited reward. Both he and his wife are people of sterling worth and command the respect of neighbors and friends.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

John C. Palm Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Palm, Jalt, Longbottom, 

                John C. F. Palm makes his home on a well improved farm of forty acres in LeClaire township and he also owns another tract of forty acres in the same township, which he rents. He was born in Germany, October 24, 1828, a son of John and Mary (Jalt) Palm, who lived and died in Germany. The father was a tailor by trade and he also engaged in farming to some extent. They reared a family numbering two sons and two daughters but our subject is the only one who survives, the others being Theresa, Christopher and Mary.

                John C. F. Palm was educated in the schools of his native country and, according to custom, served five years in the German army. He also learned the carpenter’s trade, which he followed for four years prior to his emigration to the new world, he being a young man of twenty-five years when he sought a home in America. He located at LeClaire, in Scott county, ad owing to the improvement which this section was than undergoing, he had no difficulty in securing work at his trade, being first employed by a Mr. Longbottom. He carefully saved his earnings and in course of time purchased of his employer three and a half acres of land in LeClaire township and, as his financial resources increased, he kept adding to his tract until it now embraces forty acres. There had been some improvements made on the land by the former owner but Mr. Palm erected a new house and made other improvements, so that the place is now supplied with substantial buildings. In the meantime he continued to engage in carpentering and also cultivated his land, his time being thus occupied until 1890. Today a large number of residences in this immediate section stand as monuments to his handiwork.

                Mr. Palm is not narrow in his political views but votes for the men whom he regards as best qualified to fill office, irrespective of party ties. His first vote after coming to America was cast for Abraham Lincoln and on the democratic ticket he was elected as councilman of LeClaire. He lives on his farm and devotes his time to its cultivation, while from his neighbors and friends he receives esteem and admiration.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Theodore Zabel Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Zabel, Schwartz, Thoede, Stanley, Horst, Kuendel 

                The business interests of Theodore Zabel are those represented in a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres of valuable land on section 8, Lincoln township, and also in another tract of eighty acres on the same section. He devotes his time and energies to farming with good results and the neat and thrifty appearance of his place is indicative of the progressive spirit of the owner. He was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, August 17, 1863, and is a son of William and Sophia Zabel. The father was a blacksmith in his native country, where he remained until 1869, when the opportunities of the new world attracted him and he crossed the Atlantic, landing at New York. He at one made his way to Scott county and for four years was a resident of Davenport, after which he removed to Butler township, purchasing a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which he occupied for thirteen years, when his wife died and he returned to Davenport. He still makes his home in the city and is now living retired. In their family were eight children: William, a resident of Winfield township; Fritz, a resident of Butler township; Charles and Albert, who make their home in Lincoln township; Amelia, who is the widow of Andrew Schwartz and resides on the old homestead property; Meta, the wife of Henry Thoede, a resident of Butler township; Alvina, deceased; and Theodore, the subject of this review.

                Theodore Zabel acquired his education in the district schools and has followed farming throughout his entire life. He gave his father the benefit of his services until twenty years of age, after which he secured work in the neighborhood as a farm hand and was thus employed until the time of his marriage in 1888. Wishing to have a home of his own, he purchased his present farm from his father-in-law and has now occupied it for twenty-two years, making all of the improvements here, setting out all of the trees and continuing the work of progress until his property is regarded as one of the valuable and attractive farms of the district. As the years passed by and he prospered he made further investment in land, becoming the owner of eighty acres which was the old Samuel Stanley farm.

                On the 1st of March, 1888, Mr. Zabel was united in marriage to Miss Wilhelmina Horst, a daughter of Claus and Marietta Horst, who were early settlers here, coming to Scott county about 1850. The father had served in the war between Holstein and Denmark from the year 1848 to 1850, and had then crossed the Atlantic, arriving in Scott county when it was still a pioneer district. He purchased prairie land and turned his attention to farming. In the course of years he owned two good farms and was numbered among the leading agriculturists of the community. Both he and his wife and three sons are now deceased. Mrs. Zabel and Mrs. John F. Kuendel were born in Lincoln township, where their girlhood days were passed. The former was trained in the work of the household and pursued her early education in the district schools. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Zabel have been born four children: Walter, Alfon, Grover and Hulda.

                Mr. Zabel is a member of the Modern Woodmen camp, No 8971, at Eldridge and has held office in the order. He is also connected with the Turner Society at Eldridge and he gives his political allegiance to the democratic party. He has served as trustee of his township and as school director, and the cause of education finds in him a stalwart champion. His attention, however, is chiefly given to his farming interests and in the cultivation of his fields he raises diversified crops and he always keeps on hand good grades of stock. He has been diligent and persevering in business, watchful of all details pointing to success, and his close application and energy have made him one of the substantial agriculturists of the community.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Severnin Kress Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Kress, Weber, Brus, 

                The characteristics of economy, energy and determination that are usually found in the German race are strongly manifested in the life of Severin Kress, who is successfully following agricultural pursuits in Buffalo township. He was born near Coal Valley, Illinois, October 7, 1859. His father, who was born in Hessen, Germany, in 1830, came to the United States when a young man, and in 1860 located in Buffalo and commenced mining coal, continuing work along this line for two decades. In the meantime he had purchased

farming property and eventually he removed to his tract of land and gave his attention to its cultivation throughout the remainder of his business career. At the time of his death, which occurred in 1904, he owned two hundred and forty acres of rich Iowa land. Mr. Kress was married to Miss Theresa Weber, who, like her husband, was born in the fatherland, in 1837.       Of this marriage there survive three sons and two daughters, those besides our subject being: John and August, who operate the home farm in Buffalo township; Amelia, who makes her home with her brothers; and Margaret, the wife of William Kolway, of Buffalo township.

                Severin Kress was but an infant when he was brought from his native state to Scott county. The period of his boyhood and youth was spent in assisting his father in the work of the home farm, his time being thus employed through the spring and summer months, while in the winter seasons he pursued his studies in the district schools of the neighborhood. He remained under the parental roof until he was thirty-two years of age and then rented a tract of land, which he operated for a few years. He later purchased of the Brus estate one hundred and sixty acres and removed to that farm and in due time he purchased one hundred and twenty acres adjoining. He sold this entire tract in 1907 and invested the money in his present farm on section 7, Buffalo township, and is now giving his attention to this place. His farm is improved with substantial buildings which are kept in good repair, while through the rotation of crops, the use of fertilizers and strict adherence to practical and modern methods of agriculture, his keeps his fields in a cultivable state.

                Mr. Kress was united in marriage in 1891 to Miss Rose Brus, a daughter of Jacob Brus, whose sketch appears on another page of this work. Three daughters and one son grace the home of Mr. and Mrs. Kress: Ida, Alice, Theodore and Clara.

                Mr. Kress is a democrat in his political views but aside from casting his ballot takes little interest in public affairs. He has, however, served on the school board for six years and in more direct business lines is a stockholder in the Blue Grass Savings Bank. He is a communicant of the Catholic church. Quiet and unassuming in manner, he thoroughly enjoys home life and takes great pleasure in the society of his family and friends, while in his business affairs he ranks among the substantial men of this section of the state.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Thomas Convill Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Convill, Larety, 

                Thomas Convill, an enterprising and progressive farmer of Buffalo township, Scott county, who for many years was identified with mining interests in Illinois and Colorado, is a native of England, his birth occurring in Manchester on the 15th of April, 1855. His parents, Alexander and Elizabeth (Larety) Convill, were also born in Manchester, the former in 1806 and the latter in 1821. They emigrated to America in 1857, locating first in Humphreysville, Connecticut, and later came west, settling in Illinois. In 1861, at the time of the outbreak of the Civil War, Alexander Convill was residing in Monmouth, that state, and he enlisted in the Union army as a member of the Fiftieth Illinois Regiment, serving for two years. After leaving the army he returned to the Prairie state, where his remaining days were passed.

                No event of special importance came to vary the routine of life for Thomas Convill during the period of his boyhood and youth, which was mostly spent in Mercer county, Illinois. There he acquired his education in the country schools, and early in life began mining coal in Illinois, being thus engaged for some time. He later took up agricultural pursuits in connection with his father, in which line of activity he continued until after the latter’s death, when he went to Colorado and was there engaged in prospecting and mining. In 1904 he returned to Illinois and continued to make his home there until 1908, in which year he sold his farm and came to Buffalo township, where he purchased the tract of two hundred and fifteen acres upon which he now resides. He has since devoted his energies to the further development and improvement of this farm, which he has brought under a high state of cultivation. The soil, which is naturally rich and fertile, responds readily to the care and labor bestowed upon it and the fields yield abundant golden harvests as the result of his industry and energy. Systematic, methodical and progressive in his methods, he is carefully managing his interests in a way that is bringing to him a creditable degree of prosperity, and he is ranked among the representative and substantial agriculturists of the community.

                Mr. Convill holds membership with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Cable, Illinois, and his life record is in harmony with the basic principles of that organization. His political views are in accord with the principles of the democratic party and he keeps well informed on the issues and questions of the day, so that he is able to support his position by intelligent argument. He does not seek nor desire office, however, but prefers to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. Although one of the more recent arrivals in Buffalo township, he has nevertheless gained many warm friends during his brief residence here, and by reason of his honorable and upright manhood has commanded the respect, confidence and good will of his fellowmen.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Fred B. Sharon Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Sharon, Keon, 

                The name of Fred B. Sharon is well known in connection with banking interests of Davenport, and to the Catholic membership throughout the country as the publisher of the Catholic Messenger, one of the strongest church papers of the United States. Moreover, his name figures largely on the records of Catholic fraternal and beneficial societies in many of which he has been a guiding spirit. He was born at Sterlingville, Jefferson county, New York, within thirty miles of the Thousand Islands that for miles adorn the majestic St. Lawrence. He is a son of Thomas Sharon, who was born in 1816 and in his early youth had come with his father, Patrick Sharon, from the ancestral home at Trim, County Meath, Ireland, very near the famed Hill of Tara, with Carthage, New York, as their destination. Both the father and grandfather of Fred B. Sharon were pioneers of northern New York in a heavily timbered country at the foothills of the Adirondack mountains. The grandfather died while Thomas, the oldest of his eight children, was in his teens. This son removed the family to Sterlingville, a place ten miles north of Carthage, where he purchased two hundred acres of forest land which was cleared by cutting down the trees and converting them into charcoal for the blast furnaces at Sterlingville. From that time on Thomas Sharon was a farmer, continuing to cultivate the same tract of land until his death, which occurred in 1871 at the comparatively early age of fifty-five years. He was a prominent and influential citizen in his home locality and for fifteen years held trust, being noted for his honesty and faithfulness which inspired the confidence of all who knew him. His wife, who in her maidenhood was Mary Keon, was born in county Fermanagh, Ireland, in 1822, and accompanied her parents to this country in 1835. She was married in 1844 at Sterlingville to Thomas Sharon and unto them were born ten children. The mother passed away in 1876 after a useful and well-spent life filled with kindly deeds and charitable acts.

                Fred B. Sharon was educated in the public schools of Jefferson county, New York, until 1880, when he came to Iowa and continued his studies in the public schools at Cedar Falls until the close of 1882. In December of that year he came to Davenport with his brother, Thomas L. Sharon, who a few months before had established the Iowa Catholic Messenger. Since that time Fred B. Sharon has been connected with the paper, assuming the business management upon the death of his brother in 1888. He has been publisher of the paper since that date and his management has been attended with great success, for the Catholic Messenger circulates over a large territory and is considered one of the best Catholic papers in the western country.

                Since coming to Davenport Mr. Sharon has been connected very closely with the business interests of this city. He was one of the incorporators of the Union Savings Bank in 1891 and for eleven years was its vice president. He was also one of the incorporators of the Citizens Trust & Savings Bank in 1906, and is now one of its directors. He also became one of the incorporators of the Home Building and Savings Association in 1890 and is still one of its directors. In 1889 he was one of the incorporators of the Hibernian Hall Building. He was one of the charter members of the Davenport Commercial Club and is now one of its active members.

                In politics Mr. Sharon is a democrat and while he has never held public office has always been active in the councils of his party and a willing worker in its ranks for the success of the party principles. He is a member of the Sacred Heart Cathedral parish and is connected with the different parish organizations in which he is an active worker. In 1884 he became a charter member of the Davenport division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and has held many local and county offices, while for four years he was Iowa’s state president. He has also represented the state and local association at several national conventions. In 1900 he became a charter member of Loras Council, Knights of Columbus, was its treasurer for several years and has been prominent and influential in local and state conventions since that time. He belongs to the Roman Catholic Mutual Protective Society of Iowa and has been its state vice president for the past fifteen years. He is also one of the charter members of Polemorgues Court, Catholic Order of Foresters of Davenport and from the organization in 1903 served for five years as its first chief ranger. He has been a delegate to all of the different walks of life into which he directs his steps. Executive ability and keen insight well qualify him for management of important affairs and his cooperation has therefore been sought in the guidance of many important fraternal and political as well as business interests.

               Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Alphonse A. Arnould Bio 

“From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Arnould, Hout, Downes 

                Alphonse A. Arnould, who is successfully and prominently identified with the industrial interests of Davenport as a contractor, enjoys a liberal patronage in this connection and now maintains his offices in the McManus building. His birth occurred on Rock Island street of this city, his parents, being Lewis and Cotilde (Hout) Arnould. The father, a native of France, obtained his education in the schools of that country and there also became familiar with the carpenter’s trade. In 1847 he crossed the Atlantic to the United States and after residing for a time at Indianapolis, Indiana, he came to Davenport, Iowa, and began work at his trade. 

                Alphonse A. Arnould obtained his education in the Davenport schools and when fourteen years of age began learning the carpenter’s trade under the direction of his father. This line of activity has claimed his attention throughout his entire business career, with the exception of one year, during which period he followed bridge building. When eighteen years of age he took up contracting in association with his father and the partnership was maintained with mutual pleasure and profit until 1884. Subsequently Mr. Arnould of this review turned his attention to stair building, which is a trade in itself, and afterward he spent about two years in the shops of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company. Twenty years ago he embarked in business as a contractor on his own account, becoming a member of the firm known as the Tri City Construction Company, the interests of which he capably directed in the capacity of vice president. About a year ago he severed his connection with that concern and spent some two months in travel for educational purposes. On returning to this city he opened an office in the McManus building and has since carried on his interests as a contractor with excellent success.

                On the 27th of September, 1881, Mr. Arnould was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Downes, a representative of an old and prominent family of this city. Unto them were born eight children, namely: Marie and Lewis, who are deceased; Edmond, Albert, Theresa and Aledo, all of whom have completed their education and are at home; and Elizabeth and Marie, who are attending school. Fraternally, Mr. Arnould is identified with the Knights of Columbus. His close application and unwearied industry have brought him a goodly measure of prosperity, while his recognized skill and ability have gained him recognition as one prominent in building circles.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

P. H. Lebuhn Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Lebuhn, Penry, McCaffrey, McCarthy, Morry, Werner, Kylor 

                A life of earnest and unfaltering labor has brought P. H. Lebuhn a goodly measure of success. He is living in LeClaire township where he and his brother William own two hundred and seven acres of land. They have long been associated in business and display a spirit of industry and enterprise in all that they undertake.

                P. H. Lebuhn was born in LeClaire, Iowa, April 22, 1859, and is a son of Mr. and Mrs. William Lebuhn, who were both natives of Germany. The father was a lock and gunsmith and conducted a shop at LeClaire for a number of years. He died November 28, 1890, at the age of sixty-nine years, and his widow, long surviving him, passed away in 1909. She was the mother of six children: William and Peter H., who are associated in business; Henry, who lives in Canada; Louis and Laura, both deceased; and Carl, whose home is in Davenport. William and Peter H. Lebuhn have always been associated in their business interests. They were both pupils in the schools of LeClaire and at an early age were sent out to work, since which time they have provided for their own support. They were employed by different farmers and by hard work managed to save about nine hundred dollars. Peter H. Lebuhn began working when he was twelve years of age and when about twenty-three years of age he and his brother William invested in farm land upon which they now live, borrowing two hundred dollars from their father to make the first payment on the place. Later when the father’s house burned at LeClaire they paid him back the borrowed money. From E. Penry they purchased one hundred and one and a quarter acres of land and P. H. Lebuhn afterward bought forty acres from John McCaffrey and afterward secured about forty-five acres from Mr. McCarthy. Then from Frank Morry they purchased two and a half acres and from Mina Werner a tract of eighteen acres. Later they were influenced by Sam Kylor to enter into a deal in cattle, grain and one hundred and fifty-six acres of land. For about eighteen years they rented from two to three hundred acres which they cultivated in addition to their own farm.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Samuel W. Pierce Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Pierce, Vorrell, Lord, Meserve, Smith, Hayward, Hall, Hawes 

                Samuel W. Pierce, who was long prominently identified with the educational and business interests of Davenport, is now living retired at his present home on Brady street. He comes from the east, being born in Westboro, Worcester county, Massachusetts,  on the 19th of July, 1835, and is a son of Samuel and Rebecca (Vorrell) Pierce, the former native of Boston and the latter of Wells, Maine. The father, who was engaged in the shoe business, never left his native state. Like most of the boys of his native state, Samuel W. Pierce received a good practical education and for eight years he successfully engaged in teaching
school in Massachusetts. He was graduated form one of the best schools of Massachusetts and also took a course at Worcester. On coming to Iowa he first located in Fairfield, where he continued his educational labors and organized the great school system now in operation there. In 1867 he was asked to take charge of the Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home at Davenport, of which he became superintendent and his wife matron. For about twenty years he was connected with that institution and his labors won the unqualified approval of the public and also of those especially interested in the school. After leaving there he was called back to put the organization in perfect shape again. Having retired from teaching, Mr. Pierce then turned his attention to the wholesale boot and shoe trade, to which he devoted his time and energies until he retired.

                On the 30th of September, 1858, in Massachusetts, Mr. Pierce married Miss Fannie Lord, a daughter of David and Lydia (Meserve) Lord, of the state of Maine. Five children have been born of this union, namely: Charles, who wedded Mary Smith and has two children, Mary and Franklin; May, the wife of E. L. Hayward and the mother of one child, Lou; Carried, the wife of John K. Hall, of Denver, Colorado, by whom she has a daughter, Edith; Nellie A., at home, and Joseph, who married Frank (sic) Hawes and has two children, James and Phillip.

                In his social relations Mr. Pierce is a prominent Mason, having attained the thirty-second degree, and is a member of Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine. Throughout his long residence in Davenport he has won the respect and confidence of all with whom he has come in contact either in business or social life and has never had occasion to regret establishing his home in this city.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Captain John McCaffrey Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: McCaffrey, Murray, Davenport               

                It was not until advancing years made active work almost impossible that Captain John McCaffrey was able to resist the call of the river and take up his residence permanently in Davenport. From the age of thirteen the Mississippi, its rafts, boats, and steamers had been his home, and that despite of the fact that several times in the course of years he felt inclined to seek another occupation. He was born in County Pronaren, Ireland, in 1842, a son of James and Mary (Murray) McCaffrey. The parents came to this country when their children were young and in Scott county, in Davenport and later in St. Louis, Missouri, the father became a man of wealth and prominence. He died in the latter city, but his wife survived him many years, for she reached the remarkable age of one hundred and three years before death called her.

                John McCaffrey received his early education in the schools of St. Louis and of LeClaire, Iowa, but he has always been a student during all of his life, so that his days of learning did not end with the period of his youth, when he started in life for himself. He was only thirteen when he secured employment as a raft hand on the Mississippi, working out of St. Louis. As he grew to manhood he decided to engage in other pursuits, but the spell of the water had already been exerted upon him, and he was almost compelled to follow the old life. For a few years he was clerk upon a boat, but he was at the same time making the best use of his opportunities and learning the science of navigation, so that it was not long before he was able to assume the responsibilities of a pilot. The first year that steam power was put into use on the river Captain McCaffrey ran his first boat. It was one of two owned by another river captain, was named the Alvira, and was the beginning of forty years’ devotion to that field of occupation. During that time, however, Captain McCaffrey opened the coal fields which had been discovered upon his property in this county, and as he had about four hundred acres he made a good income while he operated them and later when he disposed of the land made a handsome profit upon his investment. At that time he had two steamboats and four barges, which loaded with coal sold it at various places along the river. His became a name well known at all the ports, while the story of his life and success was repeated again and again.

                It was on the 24th of March, 1868, that Captain McCaffrey was united in marriage to Miss Sarah J. Davenport, a daughter of A. J. Davenport, who was well known as being one of the earlier settlers of this county. Gout sons were born to the couple: Frank D., Henry S., Jack and Duke. Captain McCaffrey has always been deeply interested in the welfare of Davenport, and takes a certain pride in its growth, for he may rightly feel that his labors as a navigator contributed no small share to the advancement which has been so conspicuous during the last half century. As a river man he was able to know most certainly the increase of its commercial importance for the Mississippi has always been one of the prime factors of its life, as it still is Although his career really began with steam navigation he can well remember the less adequate means of caring for passengers and freight. His has been a life devoted conscientiously to the hardest toil, which, having brought rich returns to him, is a gratifying record of years well spent.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project

Peter Joens Bio 

“From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County” by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago. 

Surnames: Joens, Gibsen, Kroeger, Peterson, Luetke 

                Among the representative citizens of Blue Grass who claim Germany as the place of their nativity is numbered Peter Joens, who first opened his eyes to the light of day in Schleswig, September 26, 1847. He is a son of Henry and Christina (Gibsen) Joens, also natives of that province, the former born on the 16th of July, 1816, and the latter on the 1st of July, 1818. The parents came to America in 1865, making their way direct to Scott county, Iowa, where the father worked on a farm until his demise, which occurred in 1872.

                Peter Joens acquired his education in the schools of Germany and was a young man of eighteen years when he accompanied his parents on their removal to this country. Since arrival here he has devoted himself continuously to the occupation of farming, first in connection with his father and later on his own account. In 1885 he went to Muscatine county, Iowa, remaining there until 1894, when he located in Blue Grass, Scott county, where he has continued to reside to the present time. He owns a little farm near the corporation limits of blue Grass, in Buffalo township, where he is successfully carrying on general farming, and is also known in financial circles as a stockholder in the Blue Grass Savings Bank, his connection therewith being an additional source of revenue to him.

                Mr. Joens has been twice married. In 1874 he wedded Emma Kroeger, a daughter of Jacob Kroeger, of Scott county, and unto this union were born three children, namely: William, a farmer of Tama county, Iowa; Ardelia, the wife of Frank Peterson, of Rock county, Minnesota; and Henry, also carrying on agricultural pursuits in Tama county, Iowa. The wife and mother passed away in 1884, and in 1886 Mr. Joens was united in marriage to Gertrude Luetke, a native of Germany. They are well known throughout the community in which they reside and are prominent in social circles, where their many excellent traits have made them popular with a large number of friends.

                Mr. Joens holds membership with Blue Grass Lodge, No. 26, Modern Brotherhood of America, and also with the Columbia Sick Relief Society. Politically he votes with the democracy on all national issues but in local matters he reserves the right to cast his ballot in behalf of the men and measures which in his opinion are best adapted to conserve the public welfare. He has never been active in politics as an office seeker,  preferring to concentrate his time upon his private business interests which, successfully and carefully managed, claim his entire attention. He is a worthy and highly esteemed citizen of Buffalo township and is known among his business associates as a man of upright principles and honest dealing.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann for the Scott Co, IA USGenWeb Project