William H. Rock

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Rock, Bick, Wunder.

            The strong traits of character predominant in the German race
have been conspicuous in winning for William H. Rock the substantial
position he holds among the farmers of Allens Grove township. There he
engaged I farming for more than a quarter of a century until 1908, when he
retired form active life an took up his residence in Dixon. He was born in
Waldeck, Germany, December 2, 1853, a son of Louis and Fredericka (Bick)
Rock. They spent their entire lives in the country of their birth and were
the parents of seven sons and two daughter. Three of the former came to this
country: William H., the subject; and F. H. and C. H., who settled first in
Clinton county, Iowa, and later moved to Woodbury, county, Iowa.

            William H. Rock attended the public schools of his fatherland
until he was seventeen years of age, when he decided to come to America.
After crossing the Atlantic he made his way immediately to Davenport,
arriving here some time in the early part of 1870. He had little difficulty
in finding work a farm hand, receiving a small wage in compensation for his
labor. Until he was twenty-six years of age he worked for others and then
bought a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in Allens Grove township which
was for so many years his home. It is situated about two miles south of the
village of Dixon and is a fine arable tract. He improved it greatly during
the years it was his home and from the cultivation of its soil derived a
large profit. As the years brought him success he invested heavily in land
elsewhere, purchasing one hundred and sixty-nine acres in Liberty township
adjoining the corporate boundaries of Dixon, and five hundred and fifty-five
acres in Oldham county, Texas. As these landholdings represent his own
efforts he felt that he was well justified in relinquishing the heavier
cares of life and enjoying a respite from his toil.

            In 1882 Mr. Rock wedded Miss Louise Rock, who was born in Scott
county. November 1, 1860, a daughter of Christian and Wilhelmina Rock. They
were both natives of Waldeck, Germany, and had come to this county sometime
in the '50s. They are now residing in Allens Grove township. Four children
have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Rock: Minnie, now the wife of Louis Wunder of
Hickory Grove township; and Herbert B., Hugo and Hellmuth, who are living
upon their father's farm in Allens Grove township. The eldest of the sons is

            When Mr. Rock became a citizen of this country he chose the
democratic party as his guide in political matters and to its support has
since given his unqualified allegiance. He was active in the affairs of
Allens Grove township, although never an office seeker, having for six years
efficiently fulfilled the duties of assessor and for seven years having
served the people as trustee. When the Dixon Savings Bank was organized a
few years ago Mr. Rock became the vice president, a position he still holds.
His activity in promoting this enterprise is but another indication of the
progressive spirit which has been conspicuous throughout his life.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

luetje.jpg (33783 bytes)Ben F. Luetje

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Luetje, Petersen, Johanssen.

            Ben F. Luetje, county treasurer, and one of Davenport's
successful business men, was born in Geneseo, Illinois, august 10, 1878. He
is of German parentage, his father, William Luetje, having severed home ties
at the age of nineteen. Upon reaching our shores he came almost directly to
Davenport where he engaged in the grocery business. Following this he
secured a position with the Petersen Dry Goods Company, his association with
this concern continuing to the present day. He married miss Frederica
Petersen, a daughter of J. H. C. Petersen, a member of the firm, and it was
while the father was managing a branch house at Geneseo that Ben F. Luetje
was born. One other member, a brother Harry, completes the family.

            Ben F. Luetje received his education in the public schools,
graduating from the higher department in 1895. his first experience as a
wage-earner was gained in the shoe and clothing department of the Petersen
Dry Goods Company. In course of time he became manager of the department,
only relinquishing this position to accept another, likewise in a managerial
capacity, with the Davenport Woolen Mills, where he ahs given efficient
service for a year and a half. In 1908 Mr. Luetje was elected county
treasurer of Scott county by a majority of one thousand, five hundred and
fifty. Not only was this majority flattering, everything considered, but he
has the distinction of being only the third democratic treasurer ever
elected in Scott county.

            In April 1892, Mr. Luetje laid the foundation of a congenial
home life by his marriage to Miss Anita Johannes, a daughter of John C.
Johannes, of Davenport. Mr. Luetje is a man who takes pride and pleasure in
his fraternal relations. He is prominent in Masonry, in which he has taken
high rank, having membership in Fraternal Lodge, No. 221, a. F. & A. M.,
Davenport Chapter, No. 16, R. A. M.; and Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine.
He also belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 298, and
several other orders, among them the Turners. He makes friends readily and
is equally happy as a business man, the guardian of a public trust and a
genial companion.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

John Behrens

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Behrens, Eccers, Ramm, Weiskoph, Moeller, Hoffmann, Gochins.

            John Behrens, who was formerly engaged in house-moving in
Davenport but is now living retired, his sons having undertaken the
management of the business inaugurated by him. He is a native of Germany,
the date of his birth being September 20, 1846. His parents were Henry and
Katherine (Eccers) Behrens, the father, who was a farmer, lived and died in
his native land. Early in life the subject of this sketch decided to try his
fortune in the new world and after landing in New York came direct to
Davenport, where he has ever since made his home. Here for some time he
gained his livelihood as a laborer, willing to turn his hand to anything
honest, but his ambition to become independent was nevertheless smouldering.
This independence he achieved when he went into the house-moving business
and as soon as his efficiency became known his services were in demand in
many cities. He was extremely successful and the business which he placed in
the hands of his sons two years ago upon his retirement from active life was
a large and remunerative one.

            On March 11, 1873, Mr. Behrens married Miss Elsie Ramm, their
union being blessed by the birth of three children who reached the age of
maturity. Henry married Anna Weiskoph and has a family of three children.
Bertha, who became Mrs. Charles Moeller, is deceased, a son, John, surviving
her. On April 23, 1881, Mr. Behrens was a second time married, the lady who
became his wife being Miss Mary E. Hoffmann. Six children were born to this
marriage, two of whom survive. The elder, Otto, married Miss Emma Gochins
and has a son, John. The daughter, Flora, has finished school and is
completing her education with study at home. She is an excellent piano
player, having taken lessons since the age of nine years. Another son, John,
was drowned in the Mississippi river at the age of twenty-one years.

            Mr. Behrens is a popular and influential citizen, particularly
among the German element in Davenport. He is a public-spirited man, ever
ready to give his support to the cause likely to bring the greatest good to
the greatest number. He is possessed of that admirable German
characteristic, a love of good music. He belongs to several German singing
societies and is identified with the Freiegemeinde and the Kampfgenossen

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

William Untiedt

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Untiedt, Stoltenberg, Rohwedder, Roggenkamp, Sindt, Nagle, Joens,
Kroenenberg, Bockwoldt.

            Among the prominent farmers of Davenport township will be found
those who are its native sons and have as their inheritance the excellent
traits of character with which the German race is endowed and which have
proved of such value in agriculture as in the other phases of life. He was
born upon the land which he operates at present, March 2, 1853, his parents
being Claus and Kathrina (Stoltenberg) Untiedt. They were both natives of
the fatherland, were married and had one child born to them before they
decided to come to America. They landed in New Orleans in the fall of 1847
and then came up the Mississippi river to Davenport. Mr. Untiedt received
from his father-in-law eighty acres of prairie land, which now constitutes a
part of his son's farm. He broke the land, erected a small dwelling upon it
and devoted himself to its cultivation and improvement. As the years brought
him a generous return for his labors he purchased another eighty acres
contiguous, making his home upon the whole tract until 1875, when he moved
to another part of the township. He and his wife are now deceased. They
reared four children to maturity, namely: Anna, who is the widow of Henry
Rohwedder, of Davenport; Mary the deceased wife of George Roggenkamp;
Amelia, who married George Roggenkamp, of Blue Grass township; and William,
the subject of this sketch.

            William Untiedt has spent all of his life upon the farm which is
now his home and claims that he ahs never been absent from it more than six
weeks at a time. He attended the district school of his locality and later a
German school so that he had a good training both in the fundamental
branches of English education and in particular studies which those of
German birth and parentage are anxious that their offspring should know. He
has devoted his time since childhood to agricultural pursuits, even as a
youth assisting his father in the heavier work, and s he advanced in years
assuming no small share of the responsibility in the operation of the place.
He is engaged in general farming and as he has spared neither effort nor
industry to improve and develop his land he has been successful beyond the
ordinary. In addition to the one hundred and sixty acres which constitute
the homestead, Mr. Untiedt owns another tract of equal area in Blue Grass
township, this county, and is accounted one of the prominent Germans of his

            On the 14th of July, 1875, Mr. Untiedt wedded miss Anna M.
Sindt, a daughter of Claus and Lena Sindt, who had come with her parents
from Germany. Nine children have been born to the couple. Herman N. married
Miss Lena Nagle and lives on his father's farm in blue Grass township, where
he is rearing his two children, Herbert and Melinda. Theodore R. has
remained at home. Albert A. married Miss Hulda Joens and lives in Dickinson
county, Iowa. They have three children. Alvina is the wife of Charles
Kroenenberg of Blue Grass township, and is the mother of a daughter Lillie.
Alma became the wife of Hans Bockwoldt, of Minnesota, and they have two
sons, William and Walter. The four youngest children-Rudolph, Otto, Hugo and
Hertha-are at home.

            Mr. Untiedt has served as school director and road supervisor in
his town ship, but while his duties were ever fulfilled with dignity and to
the satisfaction of those who had placed confidence in him, he took little
active part in the public affairs and could never be called an aspirant for
official distinction.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

George A. Gould

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Gould, Read, Glaspell, Reed, Davies.

            Held in uniform affection and esteem by those who knew him best
and indeed by all those with whom he comes in contact is George A. Gould,
president of the Gould Construction Company, one of those thriving
industries which contribute in large measure to Davenport's prosperity and
standing among cities of its size.

            He was born August 7, 1854, and comes of fine New England stock,
among his ancestors being the usual quota of patriots. His parents were
Isaac C. and Betsy R. (Read) Gould. His maternal grandfather, Benjamin Read,
was a soldier in the Revolution and a captain in the war of 1812. He lived
to witness the war of the Rebellion and its outcome and died in 1865 at the
age of ninety-two years at Heath, Massachusetts. The father, Isaac Gould,
was a mechanic and had a family of five sons and a daughter. He decided to
come west, as he expressed it, "to give the boys a chance in life." Before
he could get his family to Iowa, where he had preceded them, he was taken
ill and lived only about six months after they finally arrived. Mr. Gould's
only sister also died about one year after the death of the father being at
the time of her demise about twelve years of age.

            Diverse fortunes befell the brothers, all those who were old
enough enlisting in the Civil war. Joseph R. had been admitted to the bar
and was already practicing in Rochester when the Rebellion broke out. He
raised a company in Cedar county and was made first lieutenant in the
Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry. He served most of his time as quartermaster
until 1863, when he was promoted to a captaincy and only four days after his
promotion was killed in the valley of the Shenandoah. He left a wife and one
son, Herbert, who died at the age of two years.  Benjamin Gould, the second
brother, enlisted at the first call from the state of New York and served as
a private. Later he reenlisted and served until peace was declared, doing
light duty. His wife was Sarah Glaspell, Isaac C., the third brother, also
offered his life to the cause of freedom, enlisting as a private in the
Eleventh Iowa Infantry, in which he served three years. Upon his
reenlistment he became lieutenant in charge of colored troops and served
until the close of the war. Franklin T., the fourth brother, emulated the
example of the others and at the age of fifteen years ran away from home to
enlist. He was admitted to the Second Iowa Cavalry and served during the
entire war, having reenlisted. He married the widow of his eldest brother
and resided in Davenport to the time of his death. Had the subject of the
sketch been more than seven years of age when the first guns were fired at
Fort Sumter, he would doubtless have been found in the thickest of the fray,
but destiny had ordained otherwise. He is the last surviving member of the
family, his mother having died at the age of eighty-three years.

            George A. Gould received his education in the public schools and
found his first employment in the building department of the Chicago, Rock
Island & Pacific Railway. After giving efficient service there for a number
of years he became superintendent of bridges and buildings, his promotion
coming as a natural sequence to his prowess. In 1904 he brought into play
his dormant talents as an organizer and the Gould Construction Company came
into being. This enterprise has enjoyed the most abundant success, doing
work of superior excellence and employing many people.

            Mr. Gould was married December 27, 1876, to Miss Emma Smith, and
two children were born to the union. The elder, Augustus G., is vice
president of the Gould Construction Company. After finishing in the public
schools, he entered the Davenport Business College, taking a course in the
engineering department. He is now very familiar with that subject, having
been for a time associated with the Rock Island Railway and the Delaware &
Lackawanna Railway. He married miss Jennie Reed and they have one child,
Elizabeth. Mr. Gould's daughter, Grace E., is the wife of Orville Davies and
resides in Kirksville, Missouri, her husband being a traveling salesman.
They have two children, John and George. Mr. and Mrs. Gould have a
delightful home at 1039 Arlington avenue.

            Mr. Gould belongs to the Masonic order, in which he has taken
all the degrees. He is also a member of the Commercial Club and has various
other affiliations. Many things have contributed to the success which he now
enjoys, his determination, his poise and sound judgment, his upright life,
his gift for making friends and his championship of just measures.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Hans Harkert

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Harkert, Hinrichs, Spath, Berger.

            Hans Harkert, president of the Harkert Cigar company, one of
those industries which operate for Davenport's prosperity, was born February
17, 1852, in Holstein, Germany, his parents being Claus and Anna (Hinrichs)
Harkert. His father was a mechanic and windmill-maker. Upon coming to the
United States he settled in Davenport, where he was one of the earliest

            Hans Harkert received his education in the school of the
fatherland, and had attained the age of eleven years when he arrived in the
land of his adoption. He landed in New York and came almost directly to
Davenport. For seven years thereafter he engaged in farming and then located
in Davenport to test his fortunes as a teamster. He eventually took up
cigarmaking, acquiring skill in that trade in three months' time, and then
started a small factory of his own. Discontinuing this after a while, he
secured employment in another factory of greater proportions and soon became
foreman, in which capacity he continued for fifteen years. Severing this
association he tried a second independent venture and started a cigar
factory, in which he employed two helpers. From this modest beginning grew
the present business, one of the largest of its kind in the city, giving as
it does employment to one hundred people and steadily growing in size and

            Mr. Harkert was united in marriage to Miss Hulda Weissermal,
their union being celebrated February 18, 1872. His wife's people like his
own are Germans who were attracted to America by its many opportunities and
its newer civilization. Mr. and Mrs. Harkert are the parents of eleven
children, of whom four survive. Richard married Miss Dora Spath and they
have two children, Herbert and Dorothy. Arthur married Miss Dora Berger, and
they also are the parents of two children. Adolph and Verona are at home.
The Harkert residence is situated at 518 West Fourth street.

            Mr. Harkert enjoys great popularity among his fellowmen and has
many pleasant affiliations, being identified with the Turners and indeed
with most of the German societies. Humane, public-spirited and broad-minded,
he contributes materially to the good citizenship of Davenport.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Rev. Harvey F. Finefield

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Finefield, Connelly, Rogers, Flynn, Bath, McMannis, McGurty,
Norton, Toben, Dempsey, Malony, McGary, Lillis, Cahoe, Cooper, Hogan,
McKenney, McDermott, Cosgrove, Wheeler, Foley, Flavin, Smith, Moran,
McNamara, Gall, McGillin.

            Rev. Harvey F. Finefield, who since April, 1906, has been the
pastor of St. Ann's parish of Winfield township, was born in Davenport,
Iowa, November 12, 1877. His father, William Finefield, was born in New York
state in 1832, was a steamboat carpenter and engineer by trade, and ran a
steamboat on the Great Lakes and the Mississippi river for many years,
enjoying the distinction of having helped to bring the first steam engine
across the Father of Waters. In Kiespburg, New York, he wedded Miss Rosana
Connelly, who was born in Ohio, December 26, 1841, and about forty years ago
the young couple came to Davenport, being among early settlers of the city.
Now they make their home with their son Harvey. In the family were nine
children: John, who died in infancy; Mary, who married Dr. Rogers, of
Davenport; one who died in infancy; Bertha, who is the wife of M. J. Flynn,
of Davenport; Elizabeth who married F. X. Bath, of Chicago, Illinois;
William F., proprietor of the Davenport Hotel; Edward, who died in 1905, at
the age of thirty-three; Vernard P., of Omaha, Nebraska; and the Rev. Harvey
F. Finefield.

            The last named received his early education in the public
schools of Davenport and in St. Mary's school, later attending St. Ambrose
College, from which he was graduated in the classics in 1899, and in
philosophy in 1901. Thereupon he entered St. Paul's Seminary, form which he
received the sacrament of holy orders in 1904, after which he went to Des
Moines, Iowa, where he spent nine-teen months with Monsieur Flaven. At the
end of that period in April, 1906, he was assigned to the pastorate of St.
Ann's parish in Winfield township where he has since been located.

            St. Anne's church is situated in Winfield township about two
miles from Long Grove. The parish was organized in 1857 by a number of the
pioneers of Scott county, including John McMannis, who took a very active
part in the work of the early congregation; John McGurty; Maurice Norton;
Richard Toben; Pat Dempsey; Thomas Malony; Mr. McGary; Martin Lillis; Martin
Cahoe; Mr. Cooper; Mr. Hogan and others, and Father Francis McKenney was the
first priest. He traveled through the township on horseback, saying mass in
different houses. About 1855 the first church was built, a small structure
that is now used as the vestry room. Father McDermott was the second priest
and later Father Cosgrove came, remaining in charge until 1859, when Father
Dennis Wheeler became pastor. He was here only a year, however, and was
succeeded by Father John Foley, who was pastor until 1868, during part of
which year Father Maurice Flavin was in charge. He built St. Mary's church
in Davenport, but as he died before it was completed his brother finished the
work. The first resident priest of St. Ann's parish was Father Thomas Smith,
who came in July 1870, and continued in charge until January, 1893. He was a
very active worker in behalf of his congregation, set out all the trees in
the beautiful churchyard, built the church, and the parsonage and I other
ways improved the property of the parish. At present he is located at
Cosgrove, Iowa. Father P. J. Moran was his successor, remaining until
December, 1895, when Father Martin McNamara assumed charge of the parish
until 1902, when Father Gall came, and remained until 1904. For a few months
subsequently the church was attended by priests from St. Ambrose College at
Davenport, and then Father James P. McGillin became pastor. He was Father
Finefield's predecessor. Father Finefield has done excellent work in behalf
of the church during the four years of his residence here, carefully
ministering to the spiritual needs of his congregation and at the same time
proving of assistance to them in material things by his kindly advice and

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

kohrs.jpg (65282 bytes)Henry Kohrs

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Kohrs, Phillipson, Lohmann, Gehrmann.

            Henry Kohrs, whose foresight enabled him to realize the
possibilities of Davenport as the center of many industries and a prominent
shipping point for the west, was born in Holstein, Germany, November 15,
1830, a son of Carsten and Gesche (Krause) Kohrs. The father was born in the
same place as his son and died there in 1835.

            The education of Henry Kohrs was received in the excellent
schools of Germany and there learned the butcher's trade. When twenty-three
years old he came to the United States and for a short time was in New York
city but soon removed to Davenport, landing here March 13, 1854. Being a
hard-working and industrious young man, he soon secured employment in a dry
goods and grocery store, from which he went to a clothier's, and in this way
became acquainted with the language and customs of his new home. In 1855, he
was able to start in business in a humble way, opening a market on Western
between Fourth and Fifth streets. In 1857 he removed to Harrison avenue, and
in 1858 erected a building at Nos. 310 and 312 West Second street, where he
carried on business until 1874. During all this time he worked very hard,
making every change pay, and carefully saving all he could, so that in 1874
he was able to embark in the pork packing business in a small way and so
laid the foundation of his present immense establishment. The plant stands
on its original site, but there have been many changes, not only in the
buildings, but the methods. As his business grew, Mr. Kohrs also grew,
eagerly seizing upon any improvement that would be profitable for him to
introduce into his establishment. For years he continued alone and then took
his sons into partnership with him. In 1898 W. H. Gehrmann became a member
of the firm, which is now known as the Kohrs Packing Company. Of late years
Mr. Gehrmann has relieved Mr. Kohrs of much of the active work.

            On Christmas Day, 1857, Mr. Kohrs married Johanna Lohmann, a
native of Germany, who came to Scott county in 1855 and like her husband is
still in excellent health and in possession of all her faculties. Eight
children were born to them: Amelia, now Mrs. Phillipson; Mary; Helen, now
Mrs. William H. Gehrmann; Bertha; Conrad, who died in 1908, aged forty
years; and Henry, John and Frank who are members of the firm.

            While a good republican, Mr. Kohrs time has been so occupied
with business cares that he has had but little leisure to give to politics,
but in the '80s he served his ward as a member of the council and was
chairman of the committee on streets. He is a member of the Turner and
Shooting Clubs. Although in his eightieth year, Mr. Kohrs spends several
hours each day at his business, and is hale and hearty, enjoying the
companionship of his wife and children and the esteem his success has won
for him.

            Aside from his material prosperity, Mr. Kohrs is worthy of all
confidence and friendship he has evoked, for he possesses those sterling
traits of character that make for the most desirable citizenship and which
all captains of industry do not possess. As a business man he has prospered,
but it is as the good citizen, the kind and loving husband and father that
he will best be remembered. His children have been carefully reared by
himself and wife to be a credit to any community, and thus in another way he
has served his adopted country by giving it honorable citizens, carefully
trained to recognize the law and its restrictions.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Theodore Brus

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Brus, Pohlmann, Gammon.

               One by one the sturdy men who came to Iowa when the state was
first opened for the colonization by homesteaders and did much to promoted
its development are dropping from the ranks of its citizens. Among those who
have passed away is Theodore Brus of Blue Grass township. A native of
Holland, he was born January 28, 1839, and is a son of Theodore Brus, who
decided to come to this country in 1846. Accompanied by his brother an sons
he crossed the Atlantic and landed at New Orleans, whence he proceeded up
the Mississippi river to St. Louis. There the little party spent one winter,
continuing their journey with the opening of spring navigation until they
reached Scott county, Iowa. In 1848 the father purchased on hundred and
sixty acres of land, where he took up his residence and made his home until
his death, which occurred in 1860.

               Theodore Brus of this review participated in the work of
clearing and breaking the land when his father secured it and through the
years of his active life devoted himself to the operation of the old
homestead, for at the death of his father he purchased the interests his
brothers and sisters had in the estate. He was successful beyond the average
and enjoyed the satisfaction of knowing that his work, hard as it might have
been at times, especially in early years, has contributed its full share to
the prosperity and development of this region. After a useful and well spent
life, Mr. Brus passed away, October 7, 1903.

               On the 24th of May, 1870, Mr. Brus married Miss Catherine
Pohlmann, of Davenport. Five of the children born of their union are living
with their mother upon the old home place: Theodore, Agnes, Barney and
Henry, twins, and Rudolph. Two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary, have passed
away, the former in 1906, the latter in 1907. Hermann wedded Mary Gammon and
lives in Scott county. Theodore, the oldest son, has served six years as a
school director and he holds stock in the Blue Grass Savings Bank. In short
he is a young man who is making the best of the many opportunities which
have been presented to him.

               Mr. Brus was a democrat in his political affiliations and
served for a time as a road supervisor. He was not an aspirant for official
preferment, however although as a good citizen he exerted his influence in
the behalf of the common weal.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

W. O. Calvert

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S.
J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Calvert, Orendorf, Atwill, Dutton.

            Among the many citizens of Davenport's prosperous and growing
adjoining town of Bettendorf whose conscientious work is telling for the
advancement of the quality of its manhood is W. O. Calvert, who is assistant
secretary of the Bettendorf Axle company. He was born in Louisville,
Kentucky, July 2, 1871, a son of Charles E. and Lena (Orendorf) Calvert,
both natives of the same state He attended the common schools of New Albany,
Indiana, in which he obtained the usual graded school education. Removing to
Chicago, he secured a clerical position with A. Booth & Company, of that
city. He held the position of cahier with them for a number of years and
then, in 1901, came to Davenport in behalf of his employers.

            In 1904 Mr. Calvert obtained a position as cashier with Cudahy
Company in Davenport, later becoming identified with the Bettendorf Axle
Company as assistant secretary, and with the Bettendorf Improvement Company
as secretary and treasurer. He also became a director in the Bettendorf
Savings Bank, so he is connected with some of the more important financial
concerns of that city. Having held many positions of responsibility during
the years of his life, in every case Mr. Calvert has won the esteem of his
employers and his business associates, for he is a man of sterling
integrity, of tact and purpose. Mr. Calvert in addition to private
interests, was recently elected mayor of Bettendorf and is now serving the
people of his town in that capacity.

            It was in June, 1905, that Mr. Calvert was united in marriage to
Miss Maude Atwill, who with her mother, Mrs. Alice Dutton Atwill, has made
her home in Davenport and Bettendorf. Since locating in Bettendorf Mr.
Calvert has taken a vital interest in the welfare of the city and through
his connection with its leading industry and participation in its financial
and civic affairs exerts his influence in behalf of the improvement of

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Charles H. Wenzel

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing C. 1910 Chicago

Charles H. Wenzel, who conducts a business in farm implements in addition to the cultivation of his fields in Liberty township, was born in Hampshire township, Clinton county, Iowa, December 28, 1862, his parents being Fred and Mary (Smith) Wenzel. They were both natives of Prussia, where they grew to maturity and were married, and in 1860 started upon their journey to America. In December, of that year, they reached Iowa, locating in Clinton county, where the father secured a large farm, which Mr. Wenzel operated until his death. It occurred in 1905, when he was seventy years of age. His widow is still living on the homestead. They were the parents of six children: Charles H., who is the subject of this sketch; August, who is a partner with his brother Charles in the implement business; Bertha, who became the wife of Hans Hagge, of Clinton, Clinton county, Iowa; Annie, who is the wife of R. C. Hultz, of Boone, Iowa; Augusta, who married Nicholas Schwartz, of Clinton county; and Minnie, who is the wife of John Wascher and lives upon the homestead in Clinton county.

Charles H. Wenzel was reared upon the homestead in Clinton county and in the district schools of Hampshire township attained a good education. Until he was thirty he worked with his father upon the farm and then started out independently. At first he was engaged in the implement business, which he conducted in conjuction with a saloon in Low Moor, Clinton county, for about seven years. About four years ago he came to Liberty township, Scott county, where he continued to sell farm implements and also engaged in agricultural pursuits upon the tract of land on which he now lives and which belongs to his wife. It embraces two hundred and forty acres, lying upon sections 18 and 19, and is one of the rich farms of this township. He pursues a general line of agriculture and is now accounted one of the successful men of his locality.

In 1907 Mr. Wenzel wedded Mrs. Anna Arp, the widow of Johannes Arp and a daughter of Fred and Catherine (Koch) Misfeldt. They were both born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, the former January 22, 1823, and the latter March 7, 1843. In their native province they were married and there two of their children were born. In 1865 they crossed the Atlantic and came directly to Scott county, where Mr. Misfeldt engaged in farming. Here he died September 19, 1908, and his widow is now living in New Liberty. Twelve children were born to them, eight of whom are now living. Their daughter Anna was born in Butler township, Scott county, March 10, 1872, and in 1892 gave her hand in marriage to Johannes Arp, who was born in Lincoln township, Scott county, August 2, 1868. He was a son of Deitlef and Bertha (Weis) Arp, both of whom were natives of Germany. They came to this country after having reached their maturity, were married here and took up their residence in Scott county, where Mr. Arp engaged in farming. Eight children were born to them, but two only grew to maturity: Johannes and Adolph, the latter living upon the homestead in Lincoln township. Johannes Arp remained with his parents until his marriage, when he bought the farm of two hundred and forty acres on which Mr. and Mrs. Wenzel are now living. All the improvements are the result of his labors with the exception of the dwelling house which his widow built about two years ago. In addition to this place he owned two hundred and forty acres on section 6, of Liberty township, and was accounted one of the most prosperous and influential men in his locality. He was a democrat in his political views, and upon that party's ticket had been elected justice of the peace, in which capacity he served for seven years. He was later chosen township clerk - an office he held at the time of his death. He passed away in Liberty township, August 30, 1906, and by his demise the community lost one of its valued citizens. Six children had been born to him and his wife: Hilda, Harry, Louis, Raymond, Elsie and Herman. Louis died at the age of four years and four months, but the other children are living with their mother.

Mr. and Mrs. Wenzel are the parents of one son, Fred. While his cultivation of the soil has brought him a generous income his implement business is also profitable and supplies a long-felt want in this communtiy. The implements which he sells are of high grade and he makes every effort to satisfy the wants of his customers, who find him always a man of honorable intentions and acts.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Ray R Kulp

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Dr. Ray R. Kulp entered upon the practice of medicine at Davenport in July, 1905, as a member of the firm of Kulp, Kulp & Kulp, his associates being his father, Dr. John H. Kulp, and his brother, Dr. Oliver W. Kulp. Since the death of Dr. John H. Kulp, which occurred in March, 1906, the sons have taken care of the extensive practice of their father and have already gained enviable recognition among the skilled and able members of the medical profession.

Dr. Ray R. Kulp of this review is numbered among the worthy native sons of Scott county, his birth having occurred in Davenport on the 2d of March, 1879. His father, Dr. John H. Kulp, was born in Sherman, Summit county, Ohio, on the 21st of June, 1849. He obtained his literary education in the Mennonite Academy at Wadsworth, Ohio, and in 1869 came to Iowa, taking up the study of medicine in the medical department of the University of Iowa, which institution conferred upon him the degree of M. D. in 1872. He had studied under the direction of Professor Robertson, of Muscatine, Iowa, who was professor of the theory and practice of medicine in the University of Iowa. Prior to his graduation he entered the State Hospital for the Insane at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, as apothecary and hospital clerk and after receiving his degree he was appointed second assistant physician of that institution, which position he held for two and a half years, when he was made first assistant. He likewise spent one season at post graduate work in Bellevue Hospital of New York city.

In January, 1874, Dr. John H. Kulp opened an office at Davenport, Iowa, continuing a successful and prominent practitioner of medicine here until the time of his demise. He gradually began specializing in nervous and mental diseases and diseases of women and eventually devoted his attention exclusively to those branches. For more than twenty years he acted as trustee of Mount Pleasant Hospital, was a member of the consulting board of St. Luke's Hospital and served as alienist of the insane department at Mercy Hospital. He was likewise surgeon for the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern railroad. For two terms he acted as president of the Scott County Medical Society, while in the Iowa and Illinois Central District Medical Society he was also elected to that responsible position, serving for one term.

On the 24th of September, 1873, Dr. John H. Kulp was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary E. Cauffman, of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, by whom he had two sons: Oliver W., who was born July 4, 1874; and Ray Ranney, of this review. Both have followed in the professional footsteps of their father. John H. Kulp was a republican in his political views, while fraternally he was identified with the Masons and the Knights of Pythias. He was a man of splendid physique, dignified and prepossessing, and when he was called to his final rest his professional brethren felt that they had lost one of their most distinguished representatives.

Dr. Ray R. Kulp, whose name initiates this review, spent his youthful days as a student in the public schools, being graduated from the high school at Davenport in 1899. Entering the medical department of the University of Iowa, he was graduated from that institution in 1904 and subsequently spent a year as house physician of Mercy Hospital in this city. In July, 1905, he began the practice of his profession in partnership with his father and brother and after the death of the former was for a time associated with his brother. He is now enjoying a very extensive and gratifying patronage. He acts as official anaesthetizer at Mercy Hospital, and keeps in close touch with the progress that is being continually made by the medical fraternity through his membership in the County, State and National medical societies and the Iowa and Illinois Central District Medical Society.

In 1906 Dr. Kulp was united in marriage to Miss Bessie G. Piatt, a native of Davenport and a daughter of Benjamin F. Piatt, who was formerly a resident of this city but now makes his home in Minneapolis. Dr. Kulp belongs to the Phi Rho Sigma, having joined the Phi Rho Sigma and the Tau Delta Tau fraternities at college. He is well known and popular socially, while in professional circles he has won a measure of success which many an older practitioner might well envy.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

James R Thomson

"Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Unfaltering perseverance and unabating energy have brought James R. Thomson a gratifying measure of success and he is now classed with the highly respected and progressive farmers of Winfield township, where he owns two hundred and forty acres in the farm upon which he now resides, which is the old homestead, on sections 25 and 26, about a half mile northeast of Long Grove.

It was upon this farm and in this county that he was born, March 19, 1854, his parents being Hon. Hugh M. and Jean (Robertson) Thomson, both of whom were natives of Scotland. The father, who was born July 4, 1812, was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Thomson, who spent their entire lives in the land of hills and heather. Hugh M. Thomson acquired his education in his native country and in his early manhood had the friendship and patronage of a nobleman who took great interest in him and obtained for him a position on the police force in Liverpool, England. Later he was promoted to police inspector, occupying that position until he came to the United States in 1844. He landed at New Orleans after a voyage of nine weeks and then came up the Mississippi river to Davenport, where he landed in the month of June. He was accompanied by his wife and five children and he made the trip to the new world in order to keep the family together, believing that he would receive a more adequate remuneration for his labor in this country. Three families had emigrated together. Mr. Thomson took up forty acres of land as did each of the others - John Grieve, John Pollock and John Robertson. The forty acres which Mr. Thomson secured is now a part of the J. G. Robertson place in Winfield township. It was all open prairie then and his land was too low to build a house thereon, so that he soon afterward entered eighty acres more in Winfield township. Upon the latter tract he erected a log cabin and the families of John Pollock, John Robertson and Mr. Thomson all occupied it. Mr. Thomson lived there for about seven years, after which he entered the farm upon which his son James now resides. In the intervening years he had experienced all the hardships and privations of pioneer life but now the country was beginning to be settled and he was offered six hundred dollars for his eighty acre tract, so that he sold it, considering this a good price for the property. He then made investment in three hundred and twenty acres of land on sections 25 and 26, Winfield township, for which he paid a dollar and a quarter per acre and then had two hundred dollars remaining from the sale price of his former farm. He built his house and from time to time added to the improvements upon the farm, which under his careful direction was transferred into a productive tract of land, annually yielding him generous harvest. He lived upon the place all his life but later sold eighty acres of the original tract. He carried on general farming and was very progressive in his methods. He was one of the first to introduce shorthorn cattle into the county, buying stock of that class about 1857. He was also prominent in community affairs and held nearly all of the township offices, including that of justice of the peace, township trustee and school director. He was also president of the school board at one time and still higher official honors were conferred upon him, for in 1863 he was elected to represent his district in the state legislature and thus served until 1866. He was chosen to the office on the republican ticket and later he was appointed superintendent of the Agricultural Farm at Ames, Iowa, remaining in charge for four years. He then returned to Scott county and his fellow townsmen desirous of again benefiting by his official service elected him a member of the board of county supervisors in 1879. He filled the position for about a year and a half, after which he withdrew from public life and concentrated his energies upon his farming interests. Over the record of his official career there falls no shadow of wrong or suspiction of evil. He was always loyal to the interests entrusted to his care and progressive in his support of beneficial public measures. He held membership in the Odd Fellows Lodge while in Liverpool but took no active part in lodge affairs while in Iowa. He and his wife held membership in the Presbyterian church in Scotland but as there was no congregation of their denomination near their home in Scott county they attended the Christian church. The death of Mr. Thomson occurred March 1, 1887, and his remains were interred in the Long Grove cemetery. His wife, who was born June 20, 1814, is still living in Scott county.

In their family were nine children: M. L., of Hewins, Kansas; Jean, the wife of Gavin Long, of Brooklyn, Iowa; John R., who is mayor of Earlham, Iowa; Elizabeth, who became the wife of A. W. Brownlee, and is now deceased; Agnes, who became the wife of Herman Ficke, of Davenport, but died in 1907; Andrew L., a resident of Stuart, Nebraska; Annie, the wife of Chris Marti of Scott county; Hugh M., who makes his home in Moville, Iowa; and James R., of this review.

James R. Thomson has always lived in the county which is yet his home and the place is therefore endeared to him by the memories of boyhood as well as the associations of later years. He acquired his education in the district schools and the Agricultural College at Ames, after which he returned to the old homestead and has since engaged in general farming, assuming the management of the farm in 1885. He is first vice president of the Stockman's Bank of Long Grove.

On the 30th of September, 1891, Mr. Thomson was married to Miss Emma Evans, who was born in Butler township and is a daughter of John and Clarinda (Baughman) Evans. Her father was born in Pennsylvania and became one of the early settlers of this county, arriving here when fourteen years of age. He is still living, at the age of sixty-six years, but his wife, who was born in Winfield township, this county, passed away in June, 1906. In their family were six children: Dr. S. J. Evans, who is a resident of Davenport; Bert E., making his home in Long Grove; Mrs. Thomson; Effie, the wife of Charles Clapp, of Sheridan township; George, who died in March, 1904; and Lottie, also living in Sheridan township.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Thomson has been born one son, Frank Evans, whose natal day was December 7, 1893, and who is now a high-school pupil in Davenport. Mr. Thomson strongly advocates higher education and is a stalwart supporter of the public-school system. He has served for four years as a school director and he takes an active part in politics as a supporter of the republican party. He has been committeeman for his township on the county central committee for twenty years and does all in his power to further the interests and promote the success of the republican party in this county. He holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America at Long Grove and has attained high rank in Masonry, his membership being in De Witt Lodge, No. 34, F. & A. M.; Kilwinning Chapter No. 56, R. A. M., also of De Witt; St. Simon's Cyrene Commandery, No. 9, K. T., of Davenport; and Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine. His life is in harmony with the beneficent teachings of the craft which is based upon mutual helpfulness and brotherly kindness. He enjoys in large measure the high regard of his brethren of the Masonic fraternity and, moreover, has the warm esteem of his fellow citizens throughout his part of the county. He is a worthy representative of one of the oldest pioneer families, and for more than a half century the name of Thomson has been associated with all that is progressive and commendable in citizenship as well as in business life.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Ed S. Bowman

"Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Dr. Ed S. Bowman, who established the county hospital of Scott county and is a successful general practitioner who continuously augments his knowledge and efficiency by study and investigation along the lines of medical science, was born in Andalusia, Illinois, October 14, 1868. His father, Ed. H. Bowman, was a native of Rock Island county, Illinois, and a son of Dr. E. H. Bowman, of Rock Island county. The father still resides in the place of his nativity, where he is largely engaged in real-estate business. He married Ellen Sumet, also a native of Rock Island county.

Passing through the consecutive grades of the public schools, Dr. E. S. Bowman of this review eventually became a high school student in Rock Island and received his early business training in the office of his father, who was at that time clerk of the circuit court. Subsequently he engaged in journalism on the Rock Island Argus for two years and then went to Bennett, Iowa, where he clerked in the drug store of an Uncle, Dr. S. C. Bowman. At the same time he studied medicine and, becoming convinced that the practice of medicine and surgery would prove a congenial vocation, he entered the State University of Iowa, where he spent three years and was graduated in 1893. He then joined his uncle, Dr. A. W. Bowman, in Davenport, and at his death continued his practice. He continually reads and studies along those lines that will promote his efficiency and that his practice has given uniform satisfaction is indicated in his constantly increasing patronage. He belongs to the Scott County Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society, the National Medical Association and the Iowa & Illinois Medical Society, the National Medical Association and the Iowa & Illinois Medical Society, of which he was secretary for a number of years.

Dr. Bowman takes active interest in politics and is a stalwart republican. The Bowman family on the whole have been interested in political questions and activities and thus Dr. Bowman's record is in keeping with that of others of the name. In 1898 he became county physician of Scott county and thus served until 1904, during which time he established the county hospital, which has developed from modest proportions into an important institution, doing excellent work in conserving the public health. He also assisted in the organization of the Visiting Nurses Association, secured the present city ambulance and instituted many other improvements that are of great benefit to Davenport from the health standpoint. In 1897 he was appointed United States examiner and still holds that office.

It was also in 1897 that Dr. Bowman was married to Miss Evelyn Stanton, a native of Rock Island, and they have one daughter, Beulah, who was born March 4, 1901. Dr. Bowman is prominent in Masonry, having attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He is also a leading representative of the Knights of Pythias, a charter member of Columbian Lodge and brigade surgeon of the Iowa brigade of the uniformed rank, Knights of Pythias. He likewise holds membership with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Foresters. In his life work he has put into practice his belief that earnest labor and thorough application are the fundamentals of success and he possesses in a high degree the confidence of a large clientele.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Charles F Emler

"Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Charles F. Emler, well known in financial circles as the efficient cashier of the Farmers Savings Bank of Walcott, serving in this capacity since its inception, has also taken a prominent part in public affairs of the community and is recognized as one of the substantial and representative citizens of the community. One of Scott county's native sons, he was born in Rockingham on the 7th of January, 1860, a son of George W. and Hannah (Griffith) Emler. The father's birth occurred in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, June 5, 1809, and he came to Iowa, locating in Davenport, in April, 1855, having made his way down the Ohio river and up the Mississippi. He was a millwright by occupation and followed that trade until 1863, when he took up farming in Cleona township. His wife was also a native of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, where she was born on the 23d of February, 1819, and in the Keystone state in 1839 gave her hand in marriage to Mr. Emler.

No event of special importance came to vary the routine of life for Charles F. Emler during the period of his boyhood and youth, which was spent under the parental roof. He acquired his education in the public schools of Durant and after laying aside his text-books became identified with railroad interests as telegraph operator for the Rock Island railroad, in which capacity he served for about twenty-five years. In 1884 he came to Walcott, arriving here on the 9th of January, and was first employed as operator and later as agent, and the long period of his service with this company is ample proof of the capable and faithful manner in which he dischared his duties. On the 10th of February, 1904, he servered his connection with railroad interests to take charge of the organization of the Farmers Savings Bank of Walcott, of which he was one of the principal founders. It was organized on the 1st of April, 1904, with a capital of twenty-five thousand dollars, and he was appointed its first cashier, in which capacity he has continuously served to the present time. He has made an excellent record during the meantime, being accurate, prompt and faithful in the discharge of his duties, while he is always genial and courteous with all who have business with the house, qualities which have made him popular alike with the patrons and the officials of the bank. His efforts in behalf of the institution have been potent elements in insuring its growth and progress and it stands today as one of the safe reliabel financial organizations of his section of the county.

In 1886 Mr. Emler was united in marriage to Miss Eibe Wohlenberg, a daughter of Jacob Wohlenberg, of Walcott, and unto their union have been born five children, Edith I., Sewel H., Lucy E., Alice M., and C. Franklin.

Fraternally Mr. Emler is identified with Walcott Lodge, No. 312, Knights of Pythias, and also with Walcott Lodge, No. 22, Modern Brotherhood, in the affairs of which organizations he takes a deep and active interest. Politically he gives stalwart support to the democracy and has served as township clerk for two terms. He was the first treasurer and recorder of the town of Walcott, and has ever taken a helpful interest in community affairs, his influence being on the side of improvement, reform and progress. Thoroughly identified with the interests of Walcott, the city has benefited by his efforts in her behalf, and he is classed among her foremost representatives.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Pasquale Puccinelli

"Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Pasquale Puccinelli, whose demise occurred on the 21st of April, 1906, was for twelve years prior to his death prominently identified with the business interests of Davenport in connection with a macaroni factory. He was born in Italy in 1845, his parents being Alexander and Annie Marie (Battiala) Puccinelli. He obtained his education in the schools of his native land and in early manhood crossed the Atlantic to the United States, coming direct to Davenport, Iowa. On arriving in this city he entered the service of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company and eventually was made foreman. About the year 1894 he commenced working in a macaroni factory and was connected with that enterprise until his demise. He was honored and respected by all who knew him.

On the 28th of January, 1880, Mr. Puccinelli was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Burns, a daughter of Bernard and Margaret (O'Hare) Burns, natives of Ireland. The father, who crossed the ocean to America when a young man, became a prosperous business man and influential citizen of Chillicothe, Ohio. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Puccinelli were born four children, namely: Nora, who is deceased; Margaret, residing at home, who has taken a course in music and is now engaged in teaching the art; Francis, likewise at home; and Edward, deceased. Mrs. Puccinelli has gained an extensive circle of friends in this city during the long period of her residence here, having won the kindly regard and esteem of all with whom she has come in contact.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Henry Wiese

"Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Henry Wiese, who has lived retired in his pleasant home at No. 835 Harrison street in Davenport since 1900, won his prosperity as an agriculturist and is still the owner of five hundred and twenty acres of rich and productive farming land in Benton county, Iowa. His birth occurred in Holstein, Germany, on the 16th of October, 1840, his parents being Marx and Lucy Wiese. The father, who was born in 1800, learned the blacksmith's trade and in early manhood served as a soldier of the German army. In 1853, in company with his wife and children, he crossed the Atlantic to the United States, landing at New york. Thence he made his way direct to Moline, Rock Island county, Illinois, where the family home was maintained or about twenty years. They first took up their abode in a log cabin which stood on a tract of eighty acres of land which the father had purchased, about twenty acres of which were improved. As his finacial resources increased, owing to his well directed industry and capable management, Marx Wiese added to his landed holdings in Rock Island county and bought his fields under a high state of cultivation and improvement. He passed away in 1886, having for four years survived his wife who was called to her final rest in 1882, when seventy-two years of age. Unto them were born three sons and one daughter, namely: Fred, who is deceased; Henry, of this review; John, who is a resident of Geneseo, Illinois; and Anna, the wife of Henry Operdicke, of Port Byron, Illinois.

Henry Wiese pursued his education in the schools of his native land until thirteen years of age and then came to the new world with his parents. He continued his studies to some extent in Rock Island county, Illinois, but owing to the sparsely settled condition of the country, schools were few and far between and he did not find much opportunity to attend. He assisted his father in the work of the home farm until twenty-five years of age, when he was married and started out in life on his own acount, purchasing and locating upon a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of prairie land in Coe township, Rock Island county. It was raw land upon which no improvements had been made, but with characteristic energy he began its development and cultivation and soon converted it into a productive farm. He likewise erected a house and put up fences and later bought an additional tract of eighty acres adjoining. In 1874 he disposed of the property and removed to Benton county, Iowa, purchasing three hundred and twenty acres of land in Cedar township. The place had been improved to some extent and there were several small buildings upon it. There he carried on his agricultural interests energetically and successfully until 1900, since which time he has lived retired in Davenport, enjoying the fruits of his former toil in well earned ease. Prospering in his undertakings, he added to his holdings by additional purchase and is still the owner of five hundred and twenty acres of fine farming land in Benton county.

On the 4th of January, 1865, Mr. Wiese was united in marriage to Miss Kathryn Kahler, a native of Holstein, Germany, where her birth occurred on the 16th of June, 1846. In 1852, when six years of age, she was brought to the United States by her parents, Mathias and Lena Kahler, who took up their abode in Rock Island county, Illinois. They were farming people and both passed away in Benton county, Iowa. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Wiese were born eight children, as follows: Anna, Charles and Elizabeth, all of whom are deceased; John, who is a resident of Davenport; Louisa and Albert, both at home; Augusta, the wife of Charles Stelk, of Virginia; and Dorothy, who is likewise still under the parental roof.

Mr. Wiese is a stanch democrat in his political views and has capably served in a number of township offices, including those of road supervisor and school director. He is a member of the German Pioneers Society of Scott county. In his business career he has displayed excellent ability and unfaltering diligence and as the years have passed his labor has been the measure of a gratifying success. He and his wife are people of the highest respectability, whose good qualities of heart and mind have won for them the confidence and friendly regard of all who know them.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer