grellfamily.jpg (70795 bytes)Gus Grell Biography 

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Grell, Bloomer, Hamann, Ehlers.

                Gus Grell was born in Allens Grove township, Scott county, June 5, 1868, and is of that stanch German stock which is so satisfactory an ingredient of the cosmopolitan civilization of America. His parents were James and Margaret (Bloomer) Grell, both natives of Germany, whose sketch appears else-where in this volume. Mr. Grell remained under the parental roof until his marriage, when he established a separate household on a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres situated on sections 11 and 12, Hickory Grove township. In 1903 he built his present beautiful eight-room dwelling and a number of farm buildings, both substantial and convenient. Besides general farming, he is successfully engaged as a breeder of high grade stock, his animals having a fine reputation in the vicinity.

               On the 7th of March, 1900, Mr. Grell laid the foundations of a pleasant home life by his marriage to Miss Lizzie Hamann. She was born in Sheridan township, February 4, 1872, and is the daughter of William and Anna (Ehlers) Hamann, natives of Germany, who came to this county in 1869. Her father died at Eldridge in 1908, and her mother passed away in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Grell have one child, a son named Orville.

               Mr. Grell gives heartiest support to the democratic party, finding wisdom in its measures and placing confidence in the men selected to carry them out. He is a valued citizen of the community and is at present serving his second term as township trustee. He is also filling the office of school director and is a trustee of the Scott County German Mutual Insurance Company.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

William F. Hahn Biography 

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

 Surnames: Hahn, McNeal, Andresen, Hubbell, Haun.

                William F. Hahn, who is now living retired in Davenport, was for a long period profitably engaged in the drug business in Lowden, Iowa, and during the years of residence in that city was a prominent factor in public affairs. Rare ability, geniality and breadth of sympathy were salient features in his success and united with a wise utilization of opportunities and an unswerving adherence to honorable principles, gained for him the prosperity he now enjoys in the evening of life and the respect of his associates.

               William F. Hahn was born in Lensahnerhof, Holstein, Germany, October 1, 1835, and received a good education in the public schools of his native land, where he grew to manhood. He heard the call of the new world, however, and as if proved irresistible he crossed the Atlantic and on the 4th of August, 1854, landed in New York. He first went to Baltimore, remaining there a couple of years, and then, in February, 1856, came westward. On reaching Rock Island, Illinois, he crossed the river on the ice to Davenport, and continued his journey to Dewitt, Clinton county, Iowa. There he secured a position as clerk for Judge McNeil, of the county court, and proved a valuable man in the capacity, for he had been well educated in his native land and had not been the United States very long before he was proficient in the use of English. He remained with Judge McNeal for two years, after which he was elected township assessor. He also served as deputy county recorder and treasurer of Clinton county for a number of years. Later he engaged in the mercantile business and then went to Cedar county, Iowa, where he took up the study of pharmacy and later opened a drug store at Lowden, which he conducted with great success for twenty-seven years, becoming one of the prosperous business men of that county. He also occupied a prominent position in local affairs. He was appointed postmaster of Lowden, but after three years he resigned, and at the same time served as county supervisor, in which capacity he served two terms. Later he was chairman of the county board, was elected mayor of the city, and was a member of the school board eighteen years. He also had the powers of notary public. In every capacity he exercised his prerogatives with discretion and for the welfare of the community, and it was a cause of general regret when he felt that ill health necessitated his resignation and retirement from active life. He has since made his home in Davenport,where he has made a host of friends, who are drawn to him by his genial personality, his broadmindedness and his liberal culture.

               On the 5th of April, 1862, Mr. Hahn was united in marriage to Miss Marie Therese Petersen. She was born in Hoptrup, Schleswig, Germany not far from Mr. Hahn's birthplace, and is a daughter of a minister of the Lutheran church. In 1854 she and her parents came to Iowa and the Petersen family became prominent in those early days. Mr. And Mrs. Hahn have had three children: Marie Louise Henriette died at the age of eleven months; Herman August William wedded Miss Bertha Andresen, and they have three sons, Herbert William, Walter Ludwig and Robert Herman; Emilie Marie Mathilde became the wife of Charles H. Hubbell, and they have two children, Edward Lawrence and Dorothey Marie. A brother of Mr. Hahn's, Augustus, served in the Civil war under the name of Haun and was killed in battle at Pittsburg Landing.

               Mr. Hahn has now passed the seventy-fourth milestone on life's journey, and as he looks back over the past he has no reason to regret that he hearkened to the insistent voice of the new world. His has been a life of singular activity, which has been directed toward promoting the public welfare as well as his own interests, yet he has derived a large measure of prosperity from his undertakings. A man of broad education, he has enlarged the scope of his culture through extensive travel, so that association with him means expansion and elevation, and a large circle of friends are the better for his influence among them.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

schaeferfrancis.jpg (79156 bytes)  leonard.jpg (66588 bytes)Mrs. Harriet A. Schaeffer Biography 

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Schaeffer, Rogers, Franklin, Williams, Leonard, Day.

                Mrs. Harriet A. Schaeffer, well known in Davenport, where she has many friends, has long been a resident of Scott county and is able to speak with authority concerning many events which have left their impress upon the history of this section of the state. She has lived to witness remarkable changes here, for modern progress has wrought a transformation in this section of the country no less marked than in other parts of the Union.

               Mrs. Schaeffer is the widow of Francis J. Schaeffer, who was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, May 12, 1819. He acquired his education there and at the age of seventeen years came to the United States. He had older brothers in Kentucky, and that fact influenced him to first make his way to the Blue Grass state, where he continued until 1849, when, attracted by the discovery of gold in California, he crossed the plains to the Pacific coast. He did not seek his fortune in the mines, however, but engaged in business as proprietor of stores in San Francisco and Marysville. He continued a resident of that state until during the Civil war, when he disposed of his interests there and came to Davenport. Soon afterward he purchased a farm in Rockingham township, was a recognized leader in the ranks of the democratic party and held the offices of trustee, assessor and school director. He was instrumental in establishing the Fairmount school and did everything in his powe!
r to promote the cause of public education.

               It was on the 5th of July, 1862, at Sag Harbor, Long Island, that Mr. Schaeffer was united in marriage to Miss Harriet A. Rogers, who was born at Branford, Connecticut, and is a daughter of Isaac and Sallie (Franklin) Rogers. Her father was a farmer and the Rogers at one time owned nearly all of the land in their native township. Her mother was born at Black Isle, a part of Rhode Island, and is a representative of a very old and prominent eastern family to which Benjamin Franklin also belonged, Mrs. Rogers being his niece. Mr. Rogers served as a soldier through the war of 1812.

               Unto Mr. and Mrs. Schaeffer was born one daughter, Harriet Frances, who became the wife of Morris R. Williams, who is a member of one of the old families of Scott county and now lives at Cordova, Illinois. They have three children: Leonard, Rolland and Margaret.

               The death of Mr. Schaeffer occurred November 1, 1905. He had removed to Davenport in 1901 and spent his remaining days in the enjoyment of rest which he had truly earned and richly deserved. His life was ever a busy and useful one, and not only did he win success in business, but also gained that honorable name which is rather to be chosen than great riches.

               Mrs. Schaeffer's sister, Mrs. Leonard, lives with her. She is the widow of Rolland D. Leonard, who was born in New York in 1826, but lived for many years in Scott county. He was the first county auditor of Scott county and held the office of county clerk at the time the position of auditor was created. He was then appointed to the latter office and later was elected, serving in all three terms. He also served as assistant treasurer of Scott county and was one of the leaders of the republican party in the section of the state. In December, 1864, he wedded Miss Niobe Rogers and soon afterward they became residents of this county, where Mr. Leonard passed away January 9, 1904, aged seventy-eight years. His uncle and foster father, Rolland Day, was at one time a United States senator from New York state.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

E. E. Cook Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Cook, Rowe, Grant, Mitchell, Bruning, Balluff, Dodge.

               E. E. Cook needs no introduction to the readers of this volume for he is a representative of one of the old and prominent families of Scott county and even before the admission of the state into the Union the name has figured conspicuously in connection with the legal history of this district. Choosing as his life work the profession which had engaged the attention of his father, he has made steady progress as one of its representatives and is today widely recognized as a learned and able lawyer of Davenport.

               E. E. Cook was born in Scott county, August 13, 1843. His father, John P. Cook, was a native of Oneida county, New York, born in August, 1817. At the age of nineteen years he came to Scott county with his father and they settled on what was known as the Cook farm, comprising the western portion of the city. In a year or two he prepared for the practice of law by entering the office of his brother Ebenezer Cook, of Davenport, and later he removed to Tipton, Iowa, where he was admitted to the bar in 1842. The same year he married Miss Eliza A. Rowe, of Pleasant Valley, Scott county, and they maintained their home in Tipton until 1851, when he returned to Davenport, where John P. Cook engaged in the practice of law until his death. During his residence here he was elected to congress and represented his district in the thirty-third session of the national law-making body. His early political allegiance was given to the whig party and on its dissolution he joined !
the ranks of the democratic party, with which he labored earnestly through his remaining days. He was long recognized as one of the eminent members of the Davenport bar, gaining distinction in the days when Iowa was a territory. During the pioneer epoch James Grant, G. C. R. Mitchell and John P. Cook had practically a monopoly of the law business in Scott and adjoining counties. Mr. Cook was very alert, determined, energetic and resourceful, qualities which were manifest in his relation to public interests as well as in his chosen life work. He was a fluent speaker, strong and able in debate and logical in argument and his energy and ability carried his firm to the highest pinnacle of legal fame in this section of the state. A few months prior to his death his brother Hon. Ebenezer Cook passed away. They were very devoted and the loss of the brother came as an almost unsupportable blow to John P. Cook, who survived for only a brief period and died on the 17th of April, 1872.

               E. E. Cook pursued his education in the schools of Washington D. C., Rochester, Albany and Geneva, New York, and in Griswold College in Davenport, becoming the first student in the collegiate department of that institution. With the lasting example of his father before him to inspire and encourage him and to serve as a standard for professional labor, E. E. Cook entered upon preparation for the bar and was graduated from the Albany law School in May, 1863. He was then admitted to practice by the supreme court of New York and, returning to Davenport, was admitted at the May term of the district court in the same year. He then entered his father's office and on the 1st of January, 1865, became a member of the firm of Cook & Bruning, which connection continued until the death of John P. Cook. In May, 1872, the son E. E. Cook entered into partnership with Judge J. S. Richman as a member of the firm of Cook, Richman & Bruning, in December, 1875, the firm became Coo!
k & Dodge was formed. On the 1st of June, 1909, William Dodge retired from the firm and removed to Salt Lake City, and the name changed to Cook & Balluff. The zeal with which the firm have devoted their energies to the profession, the careful regard evinced for the interests of clients and an assiduous and unrelaxing attention to all the details of their cases have brought them a large business and made them very successful in its conduct.

               Mr. Cook has always given stalwart support to the democratic party and is a valued advisor in party councils, but has steadily refused to become a candidate for office although various positions have been proffered him. Aside from his profession his interest centers in his home and on the 20th of December, 1866, he married Ellen K. Dodge. They have two sons: R. B., now a practicing lawyer; and George C., who for a time was a teacher of English literature in the Leland Standford University of California.

               Such is the life record of one who now occupies an enviable position in professional circles in Davenport. Few lawyers have made a more lasting impression upon the bar of the state, both for legal ability of a high order and for the individuality of a personal character which impresses itself upon a community. Of a family conspicuous for strong intellects, indomitable courage and energy, he entered upon his career as a lawyer and such has been his natural qualifications that he has overcome all obstacles and written his name upon the keystone of the legal arch.

Transcribed by Laura Rathmann

steffen.jpg (68031 bytes)Hermann H. Steffen Biography

From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Steffen, Tiedemann, Tracy, Denkmann, Krouse.

               Hermann H. Steffen needs no introduction to the readers of this volume, for he is one of the best known citizens of Davenport, his connection with hotel interests bringing him a wide acquaintance and also gaining for him the substantial success which enables him to live retired. He was one of the early German residents here, his birth having occurred in Holstein, Germany, July 21, 1831. His parents, Peter E. and Whipke Steffen, both spent their entire lives in that country. Peter E. Steffen was a goldsmith by trade and to that occupation turned for the success which would enable him to provide a comfortable living for his family. One of the uncles of Hermann H. Steffen was colonel of a regiment under Napoleon and participated in the memorable Prussian campaigns.

               In the schools of his native country Hermann H. Steffen acquired his education and soon after his school days were over he sought and secured a position as cabin boy, leaving Hamburg on a vessel that carried a load of merchandise to the West Indies, landing at St. Thomas. From there he went to the isle of Santo Domingo, where they took on board a cargo of tobacco, mahogany and rare woods, which they carried back to Germany. They made their next trip with a load of tin and merchandise, sailing from Liverpool to St. Thomas, where they were compelled to remain for a long time on account of the war between Holstein and Denmark, from 1848 until 1850. Later they went of Haiti, where the ship was sold. The new owners wished Mr. Steffen to return to Germany as one of the ship's crew, but he did not care to do so. There was a United States ship in the port at the time and he obtained a position on her as steward. The vessel was bound for New York with a load of sugar. While crossing the Gulf of Mexico they encountered a terrific tornado and were compelled to throw a part of their cargo overboard but finally managed to reach New York. This was in 1849. Mr. Steffen remained for a time in that city and in 1851 sailed on an American ship out of Baltimore for Valparaiso, Chile. The trip consumed about ninety-four days and a hard storm was encountered while they were rounding Cape Horn, so that they lost a part of their sails. Some of the crew ran away at Valparaiso, but Mr. Steffen went with the ship to Ecuador, where there was a revolution in progress. The boat was then purchased by the government for war purposes. Mr. Steffen was paid off there and later he shipped as an able seaman on board another vessel, commanded by a German captain, for California, his wages being one dollar per month. The vessel's cargo was flour and after sailing for forty-eight days they passed through the Golden Gate in the spring of 1852.

               Mr. Steffen had intended to quit the sea and locate in California, but the country was so dry and hot that he concluded that he could not do well there. He met a sailor friend in San Francisco and they decided to return east. They left on the same boat that brought him to California and landed at Valparaiso, whence they shipped on a German bark that took them to Bolivar, Peru. There they took on a load of saltpeter and went around Cape Horn to Hamburg, Germany. From the fatherland Mr. Steffen sailed for New York and then, making his way into the interior of the country, arrived at Davenport, December 3, 1855. He secured work on a steamboat here under Captain Clark and when the war broke out went on the government boat Metropolitan in 1862. They proceeded down the Mississippi river to Cairo and took Pope's division from that place to Fort Pillow. They landed at Shiloh with twenty-one steamboat loads of reinforcements three days after the battle was fought. In 1864 Mr. Steffen was drafted for service and became a member of Company B, Tenth Iowa Infantry. He went with Sherman on the march to the sea and was honorably discharged at Washington in June, 1865, following the close of the war. Returning to Davenport, he then opened a café on Brady street, which he conducted for thirteen years, after which he became proprietor of the St. Louis Hotel on Second street and thus remained in business for about four years, or until he retired.

               In December, 1855, Mr. Steffen was married to Miss Henrietta Tiedemann (sic), a daughter of Christian and Anna Tiedmann (sic), and they have five children: Emil, of Lincoln, Nebraska, who married Hattie Tracy and had five sons-Harry, Roy, Claud, Ralph and James, the last named being deceased; Harry, of Davenport, who wedded Mary Denkmann and has three children-Herbert, Florence and Mary; Mary the wife of Frank Meier, of Davenport, by whom she has five sons-Walter, Arno, Robert, Frank and Victor; Theresa, the wife of John Krouse, of Davenport; and Arabelle, who died when seven years of age.

               Mr. Steffen is a member of the Old German Pioneers, a society formed among the citizens of German birth who have long been residents of Davenport. He is also connected with the Turners and the German Shooting Society. He lives with his wife in a fine residence which they own on West Third street. They celebrated their golden wedding in December, 1905, on which occasion all of their children and grandchildren were present. Mr. Steffen relates many interesting incidents of his different voyages, in which he gained intimate knowledge of various lands, their people and customs. While on his first trip to America he was told by the captain to climb up the rigging and see if he could not see anything but a black cloud. He was told to come down and look through a spy glass which the captain had and then saw that his cloud was the Isle of San Salvador, which was his first sight of America. It was this same isle on which Columbus landed when the new world was discovered. His life has been one of varied experiences such as do not come to the man who confines his attention to industrial or commercial pursuits, and his conversation is enriched with many amusing and interesting anecdotes. He now well deserves the rest which he is enjoying and in Davenport he has a large circle of warm friends, not only among the people of his own nationality but among all the different classes of Davenport's citizenship.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

John Soller Biography

 From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Soller, Petersen, Hagemeyer, Hertzler, Mahan.

               John Soller is a prominent contractor and builder of Davenport and has been an active factor in promoting the building interests of the city, being accounted one of the substantial citizens and business men of this section of the state. He was born in northern Germany, April 20, 1851. He was reared and educated in the land of his nativity and came as a young man to the new world. He located first in Cincinnati, Ohio, and there learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in that city for about eleven years. He then took up his abode in Davenport and here engaged in contracting and building on his own account. He has erected many prominent business and residence structures in this city and has attained a reputation which has placed him in a position second to none in his particular field of activity.

               Mr. Soller was married April 9, 1875, the lady of his choice being Miss Jennie Hagemeyer, a daughter of William and Christina (Petersen) Hagemeyer, of Cincinnati, where the father is a manufacturer of cigars. One son and three daughters grace the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Soller: Minnie, the wife of Rev. Frank Hertzler, by whom she has three children, Merle, Esther and Miriam; Alice and Florence, both at home; and John Jr., who wedded Miss Margaret Mahan, by whom he has a son, John.

               Mr. Soller is a republican in his political faith and at one time served as president of the board of supervisors. He has attained high rank in Masonry, belonging to the blue lodge, chapter, commandery and the Mystic Shrine. He is likewise identified with the United Workmen and the Elks, while in religion he is a member of the German Methodist church. He has won distinction in the business world through sound and conservative methods, while in social circles he is also popular, for he possesses a genial, kindly nature that always wins warm and admiring friends. His home, a beautiful residence on Kirkwood boulevard, is a most hospitable one and here the family take great delight in entertaining their many friends and acquaintances.

 Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann

Nicholas Albrecht Bio

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co 1910 Chicago

Among those citizens of Davenport who though deceased have left behind them a pleasant memory and living influence for good must be numbered Nicholas Albrecht, who was born October 26, 1853, and passed away, March 25, 1908. He was native of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, and came here when about sixteen years of age in company with his father, George Albrecht, and two brothers. They were the first members of the Albrecht family to leave the fatherland and, speedily becoming typical pioneers, made the journey to Kansas in a covered wagon and endured many hardships incident to life in a new country. The father spent the remainder of his life in that state and died there not many years ago.

Nicholas Albrecht identified himself with the Tri-Cities by his removal to Moline in the '70s. He subsequently came to Davenport and established himself in the butcher business, starting in on a small scale, but his dealings were such that he soon had a large patronage and by 1891 had prospered sufficiently to build the brick edifice which now stands on the corner of Washington and Leonard streets. Mr. Albrecht's interests were not limited to his trade. He was the promoter of the Davenport Ice & Cold Storage Company, an incorporated concern and one of the largest of its kind in the state. It was organized in 1899.

Mr. Albrecht laid the foundation of a happy home life by his marriage, May 2, 1876, to Miss Anna Stahl, who survives her husband. She was born in Germany and came to this country with her parents. This union was blessed by the birth of eight children. The eldest son, George, who is connected with the business fostered by his father - the Davenport Ice & Cold Storage Company - has been married twice, his first wife being Carrie Jurgens, and his second Laura Blesse. He has two daughter, Vernice and Nathalia. The second son, John, is the manager of the meat market started by his father and has in fact been connected with it ever since he began his business career. He is a native of Davenport, and was married October 8, 1902, to Maria Wiese, their attractive home having as its chief ornament two sons, Harold and Irwin. The other six children are at home. They are: Meta; Alma; Minnie, who serves as her brother John's bookkeeper; Alvina, who attends high school; and Hulda and Walter, both of whom are at school.

Mr. Albrecht found great enjoyment in his fraternal relations, which extended to the Turners, the Knights and Ladies of Honor, and the Woodmen of the World. He was a progressive and public-spirited man, ready to give his support to all good causes, and an earnest champion of education. His school days had been passed in Germany and he was particularly well educated. His mortal remains are interred in Oakdale cemetery, but he will not soon be forgotten in the city in which he spent so long a period of his life, and to whose social and industrial interests he contributed in no small degree.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

allen.jpg (39450 bytes)William Larned Allen, M.D.  Bio

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Equipped by thorough training at home and abroad, Dr. William Larned Allen in the practice of his profession has demonstrated his ability to cope with the intricate problems which are continually confronting the physician and surgeon. His broad study and research, his correct application of scientific knowledge and his wide experience have given him eminence in his chosen calling and he is moreover entitled to public recognition as the promoter of the electric street car system in this city. Born in Davenport on the 7th of June, 1858, Dr. Allen is a son of William and Augusta Dorrance Allen, nee Seabury. The father, who was born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in 1824, served as chief paymaster of the district of Cumberland from 1861 until 1865. Coming to this city at an early day, he was active in its substantial development and progress and from 1870 until 1874 was a partner in the firm of Mandeville & Allen, railroad contractores. His death occurred the following year and he was long survived by his wife. She was born in Portland, Maine, in 1830, and died in Davenport in 1899. Among the early American ancestors of Dr. Allen are Governor Bradford, of Massachusetts, and the Rev. Thomas Allen of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, the great-grandfather, who was called "the fighting parson" because of his action in 1777 at the battle of Bennington.

Dr. Allen supplemented his early education, acquired in the common schools, by study in Griswold College of Davenport, and in preparation for a professinal career entered the medical department of the Iowa State University, form which he was graduated in 1881. He afterward spent two years in Vienna, Austria, in special work in surgery and gynecology. He has always remained a close student of the profession, keeping in touch with the advanced thought that marks the onward march of the medical fraternity, and the ability which comes through wide study, careful analysis and broad experience is his, making him one of the prominent and successful physicians of Davenport. His experiences in other lines have also been of a somewhat varied nature. In early manhood he spent one year on a farm in Iowa and one year in managing a plantation in Arkansas, being called to this task on account of the death of his father and his father's partner. Having inherited some stock in a street railway company in Davenport and having seen the successful trial of an electric car in Richmond, Virginia, he bought up all the stock owned by parties who would not consent to adopt electricity as a motive power and equipped the Davenport Central Railway with electric cars in August, 1888. This was the second road to be thus fully equipped in the United States. The undertaking required nearly all of Dr. Allen's capital. The attempt to operate lines in Stillwater, Minnesota, and another in Dubuque, Iowa, which he had equipped, together with the necessity of purchasing new motors which had soon to be replaced with more powerful ones, required more capital than he could command and the electric supply companies and his banker forced him to give up his property, which was then carrying only a small bonded debt, and which a few years later was sold to an eastern syndicate for several million dollars. The early change to electricty gave Davenport a widespread reputation, but few of the citizens were willing to put any money into the electric venture, believing that it would be impossible to thus run cars up the heavy grades. Resuming the practice of medicine and surgery, Dr. Allen has since confined his attention almost exclusively to his professional duties and in 1895 founded St. Luke's Hospital and was elected president of its medical borad and chairman of the executive committee, which position he still retains. He has done notable work along surgical lines, prominent among his operations being the removal in 1895 by gastrotomy of a hairball from a girl's stomach, it being the largest foreign body ever successfully removed from the human stomach. Other operations which he has performed have been almost equally notable and have brought him wide reputation as a skilled surgeon. For twenty years he has been surgeon of the State Orphans Home and for a similar period of the Tri City Railway Company. For two decades he has been a member of the state, district and county medical assocations and for fifteen years of the American Medical Association. He was the president of the Davenport Academy of Natural Science for three years, from 1893 until 1895 inclusively, and in the latter year was chosen president of the Scott County Medical Association. in 1900 he was elected to the presidency of the Iowa & Illinois District Medical Society and in 1908 became the chief executive of the Second District Medical Association.

In his political views Dr. Allen is a stalwart supporter of the republican party and, though not an office seeker, has been concerned in various public movements of widespread benefit, acting as president of the Davenport Business Men's Association in 1889 and cooperating in various projects for general progress.

On the 1st of October, 1885, Dr. Allen was married to Miss Alice Van Patten, a daughter of John P. Van Patten. Their children are: Larned V. P., Elizabeth M. and William Seabury. The family are Episcopalian in religious faith and Dr. Allen is prominent in the various departments of the church work, serving as a member of the vestry and also as president of the Men's Club of the cathedral. He joined Trinity Lodge, A. F. & A. M., in 1888 and has ever been an exemplary representative of the craft, utilizing the opportunities which his practice affords for the exemplification of its basic principles of mutual helpfulness and brotherly kindness.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Frank W Mundt

From "Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Frank W. Mundt is numbered among those who in the opening years of the Civil war offered their services to the government and for three years were engaged in active military duty. He is now living retired in Davenport and is numbered among the worthy citizens that Germany has furnished to this state. His birth occurred in the city of Mecklenburg, October 16, 1834, and his parents, who were also natives of that country, spent their entire lives there.

Frank W. Mundt acquired his educaion in the schools of Germany and was a young man of about twenty years when he made the voyage to the new world, landing at New Orleans. He thence proceeded up the Mississippi river to Davenport and, unafraid of hard work, immediately sought employment that would enable him to meet his expenses and make a good start in life. He was employed at different kinds of labor both in town and on the farms. At the time of the Civil war, however, he put aside all business and personal considerations and in September, 1861, at San Francisco, California, enlisted as a member of Company K, Second Cavalry Volunteers. They went across the plains to Salt Lake and were engaged in fighting the indians most of the time until mustered out at Salt Lake City, October 8, 1864, after which Mr. Mundt returned to Davenport.

It was on the 30th of September, 1868, that Mr. Mundt was united in marriage to Miss Anna Pahl, who was born in Holstein, Germany, a daughter of Claus and Marie Pahl. Her parents died in the fatherland and she came alone to the United States in 1866. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mundt have been born ten children: Emma, the wife of John Brooks of Portland, Oregon, by whom she has three children - Dorothy, William and Selma; Anna, the wife of Robert Armil of Davenport, by whom she has seven children - Bessie, Etta, Earl, Ruth, Paul, Robert and Marie; William, of this city, who wedded Nellie I. Oschaughnessy, now deceased, by whom he had two children - Julia and Alfred; Louisa, the wife of Louis Eckhardt, sheriff of Scott county, and the mother of two children - Louisa and Herbert; Selma and Frank, at home; Freda, the wife of Fred Volz of Davenport and the mother of two children - Margaret and Marie; and Paula, Emil and Alfred, all at home.

Mr. Mundt is a member of the Grand Army Post at Davenport and takes pleasure in the camp fires. He is widely known in this city, were he has long made his home and where he stands as an excellent type of the German-American citizens who have done so much for Davenport's improvement and upbuilding.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

William G. Cabel

"From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

William G. Cabel, a retired farmer of German birth, now living in Davenport, still derives a substantial income from valuable farming property comprising one hundred acres of rich land in Hickory Grove township. The years were fraught with earnest, persistent labor until a recent date, when he put aside the more active duties of the farm and has since given his time to those pursuits and interests which afford him rest, recreation and entertainment. He was born in Holstein, Germany, June 7, 1838, and is, therefore, in the seventy-second year of his age. His parents were Lewis and Lottie Cabel. The former, a farmer of Germany, came to the United States with his family in 1856, landing, however, at Quebec, Canada, whence he made his way to Davenport. In the vicinity of the city he rented land and continued farming until his death, both he and his wife passing away in 1863. They were the parents of eight children: Henry and Dora, both deceased; William G.; Lottie, who has also passed away; Lewis, of Chicago; August, deceased; Emma, the widow of Fred Sharlow; and Herman, of Davenport.

William G. Cabel attended school in Germany through the period of his boyhood and youth and when eighteen years of age accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new world. He has made farming his life work, his time being devoted to the improvement and development of farming land in Scott county until his enlistment for service in the Civil war on the 13th of September, 1861. He became a member of Company I, Twelfth Missouri Infantry, at Davenport. He enlisted for three years, joining the regiment at St. Louis, where the troops were encamped for two weeks. They then went to Evansville and later to Sedalia, Missouri, after which they proceeded to Springfield, where two weeks were passed. They next spent two months at Raleigh, Missouri, and in January, 1862, started from Raleigh to Springfield, whence they went to Arkansas, soon afterward participating in the battle of Pea Ridge. Later Mr. Cabel took part in the engagements at Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post and Vicksburg. At the last named place he was taken ill, was sent home on a furlough and honorably discharged in January, 1864. Subsequently he engaged in teaming in Davenport for a short time, after which he began farming on his own account. For about twenty years he cultivated rented land and then purchased a farm of one hundred acres in Hickory Grove township, but never made his home thereon. He has been practical, energetic and determined in all that he has undertaken and his success has resulted from capable and careful management.

On the 2d of December, 1868, William G. Cabel was married to Miss Dorothy Bergerdt, a daughter of Jacob and Christina Bergerdt. Unto them have been born seven children. Augusta is the wife of Charles Detrich, of Liberty township, by whom she has four children; Hugo, John, Raymond and William. Meta is the wife of Theodore Schroder, of Hickory Grove township, and they have five children: Armil, Minnie, Clarence, Adelia and Helmerdt. Laura and Emma are at home. Henry, living in Hickory Grove township, married Freda Whitmer and they have two children, Elsie and Robert. William resides in Hickory Grove township. Herman is at home.

Mr. Cabel is a member of the Old German Settlers Society and is well known among people of his own nationality. His friends, however, are not limited to those of his own race, but include the majority of those with whom business or social relations have brought him in contact. His life has been a busy and useful one and his success is well merited.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Hans F Muhs

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Hans F. Huhs, who is now living retired in Davenport, was in former years actively and successfully identified with the commercial interests of the city, conducting a merchant tailoring establishment on Second street for more than a third of a century. His birth occurred in Holstein, Germany, on the 6th of June, 1835, his parents being Jochim and Anna Muhs. The father died when our subject was but six weeks old. H. F. Huhs obtained his education in the schools of his native land and there learned the tailor's trade. In 1856, when a young man of twenty-one years, he set sail for the new world in company with his mother, landing at New Orleans after an ocean voyage of eight weeks. He then started up the Mississippi river for Davenport, reaching his destination at the end of three weeks. For about a year after his arrival he worked as a farm hand in Sheridan township for his brother Peter, who had come to this county in 1853. He then took up his abode in Davenport and secured employment at his trade, remaining in the service of John Bartimeier for ten years. On the expiration of that period he embarked in business as a merchant tailor on his own account, opening a shop on Second street which he conducted successfully for about thirty-five years, when he sold out to his sons, who still carry on the business in a commendable manner. Since disposing of his tailoring establishment Mr. Muhs has lived retired in the enjoyment of well earned ease.

On the 9th of April, 1857, Mr. Muhs was united in marriage to Miss Anna Mahl, who was born in Holstein, Germany, on the 9th of April, 1831, her parents being Max and Esther Mahl, of Germany. Miss Mahl was a passenger on the same boat on which her future husband sailed for the United States. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Muhs were born eight children, four of whom still survive. Edward, who is a resident of Davenport, wedded Miss Mary Storm, by whom he has seven children, namely: Mable, Edna, Hattie, Roy, Laurence, Maxine and Veneta, Lewis, the next in order of birth, likewise makes his home in Davenport. Benjamin, living in Davenport, married Miss Mamie Wendt and has two children, Martha and Arthur. Hugo, who is a resident of Missouri, married Miss Mamie Murphy. On the 9th of Arpil, 1907, Mr. and Mrs. Muhs celebrated their golden wedding and the presence of their children and grandchildren helped to make the occasion a most joyful one.

Fraternally Mr. Muhs is identified with the Independent Order of Odd fellows and the Knights of Pythias and he is also a well known member of the German Pioneers Society. He is now in the seventy-fifth year of his age and in the evening of life can look back over an active, useful and honorable career. Coming to the new world in early manhood, he availed himself of the opportunities here offered and soon won a place among the substantial and respected citizens of his community.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Bernard A. Huschke

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Bernard A. Huschke, who has lived retired at No. 1207 Grand avenue in Davenport for the past twelve years, successfully followed farming throughout his active business career. He is a native of Germany, his birth having occurred in Prussia on the 12th of September, 1831. He lost his parents, Charles and Margaret Huschke, when still very young. His father held a court office in Germany and served as an army official for about nineteen years. Mr. Huschke of this review obtained his education in the schools of his native land and there also learned the blacksmith's trade. When a young man of twenty-four years he set sail for the new world, landing at New York on the 7th of October, 1855, after an ocean voyage of sixty-four days. He first located in Cincinnati but, being unable to obtain satisfactory employment, left the city at the end of two months and went to Ferdinand, Indiana, where he worked at his trade until the following spring. On leaving the Hoosier state he came to Davenport and here began work at the blacksmith's trade but after a couple of weeks secured employment as a farm hand at a wage of twelve dollars per month. Later he hired out at a salary of one hundred and twenty dollars per year and continued working as a farm hand until the time of his marriage in 1858. Following that important event in his life he began the operation of a rented farm of eighty acres in Davenport township and at the end of two years purchased the property, making his home thereon for about eight year. On the expiration of that period he sold the place and purchased and located upon a quarter section of land in Pleasant Valley township, to the further cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his attention until 1898, making it a rich and productive farming property. In 1898 he disposed of the place and took up his abode in Davenport, being incapacitated for further active work because of injuries which he had received in a runaway accident. He won a gratifying measure of prosperity in the conduct of his agricultural interests and has long been numbered among the substantila and respected citizens of Scott county.

On the 12th of July, 1858, Mr. Huschke was united in marriage to Miss Barbara Wachter, who was born in Switzerland on the 9th of October, 1839, her father being Frank Wachter, who settled in this county in 1848. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Huschke were born twelve children, the record of whom is as follows. Casper, who makes his home in Minnesota, married Miss Theresa Wager and has three children: Beatrice, Genevieve and Herbert. John, living in Iowa, wedded Miss Mary Schmidt, by whom he has six children. Louisa, the next in order of birth, is at home. Marie gave her hand in marriage to Henry Meyer, of Stuart, Iowa, and is now the mother of four children. Amelia is the wife of Ludwig Schmidt, of Davenport, and has three children: Walter, Gertrude and Lucy. Leo, who wedded Miss Rose Baldwin, is a resident of Washington. Elizabeth, living in Portland, Oregon, is the wife of Benjamin Klotz, by whom she has four children: Rose, Leo, Frank and Anton. The Misses Margaret, Carrie and Amanda Huschke are still under the parental roof. Clara is now in a convent of Dubuque. Constantine, who died at the age of thirty-seven years, had married Miss Lottie Ryan, who is also deceased. The two children of this union, Ermentrude and Allen, make their home with our subject.

Since becoming a naturalized American citizen Mr. Huschke has given his political allegiance to the democratic party. He is a faithful communicant of the Catholic church and also belongs to the German Pioneers Society. Through born across the water and maintaining a love for his native land, he is yet thoroughly American in spirit and interests and loyal to the institutions of his adopted country. He has now passed the seventy-eight milestone on life's journey and is well and favorably known throughout the county in which he has resided for more than half century.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Drs. Heinrich and Carl Matthey

"From Vol. 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The interests and life history of Drs. Heinrich and Carl Matthey are so inseparably associated that it would be impossible to record the career of one without giving extended mention of the other. Twin brothers, they are natives of Prussia, born on the 20th of October, 1852. Their parents were Heinrich and Emilie (Kuntz) Matthey. The father was one of the German patriots of 1848 and was active in the revolution of that year, but was not destined to go to the front, for they were captured and disarmed ere they took part in active military service. Heinrich Matthey was a man of education, and it was that he might enjoy the benefits of a more liberal govenment that were denied him in his native country that he sought a home in the new world. Settling in Davenport, he engaged in literary work, being for many years the editor and publisher of the Sternan Banner, which he established in 1876. He still makes his home in this city, and is one of its most respected and honored German residents.

The brothers, Drs. Heinrich and Carl Matthey, acquired their preliminary education in Germany, where they resided with their parents until twenty-one years of age, at which time the family came to the United States, first settling in Milwaukee, Heinrich Matthey accompanied his parents, for he had already finished his elementary education, and had adopted journalism as his profession. With that field of labor he was connected until 1882. Dr. Carl Matthey elected to remain in Germany until he had finished his education. The family home was maintained in Milwaukee from 1873 until 1876, when a removal was made to Davenport. Dr. Heinrich Matthey was associated with his father for some time on the Sternan Banner, and in 1880 went to Sterling, Illinois, where he published the Sterling Beobachter, which he conducted successfully for two years. He then sold out and went to Germany to study medicine, pursuing a course in medicine and surgery in Leipsic and in Wuerzburg Universities, being graduated from the latter with the class of 1887. In the meantime Dr. Carl Matthey had studied at the universities in Munich, Marburg and Zurich, being graduated from the university in the last named place in 1880. He then came to America and opened an office in Davenport. Dr. Heinrich Matthey returned to Davenport in 1887 and for two years practiced alone, but in 1889 the brothers formed a partnership and have since been associated in the practice of medicine and surgery. They have made continuous progress in their chosen field of labor, becoming more firmly established each year and increasing as well the scope, extent and value of their professional practice. They have always remained close and discriminating students and by research and investigation have kept in touch with the marvelous advance in knowledge, methods, appliances and mechanical auxiliaries made in the past few years. At times they have gone abroad to visit the best and most progressive hospitals of Europe, and while at home new distinctions, new work, and new public duties in their profession have been theirs, finding them ready to give their best efforts and meet in full each duty that has devolved upon them. Their practice is now extensive and the profession as well as the public accords them high rank as distinguished physicians and surgeons. Both hold membership in the Scott County, the Iowa and Illinois Central District, the Iowa State and American Medical Associations. They are also seving on the staff of Mercy and St. Luke's Hospitals.

In 1882 Dr. Carl Matthey was married to Miss Meta Steffen, a daughter of August Steffen, Sr., and to them have been born two sons and a daughter. In 1890 Dr. Heinrich Matthey wedded Miss Hilda Mueller, a daughter of Chris Mueller, and they now have two children. The families are prominent socially and the brothers are identified with several clubs and social organizations. Dr. Heinrich Matthey belongs to the Commercial Club and is much interested in its success. He is also a member of the park commission, and by appointment of the governor has served as a member of the school board for two terms, or six years, and both are interested in promoting the best interests of good government and municipal improvement, yet are without personal ambition for office. In the positions to which they have been called, however, they have done excellent work for public benefit, their service being marked by many tangible evidences of their devotion to the general good. Although born across the water, they stand as a splendid type of American manhood and citizenship, and are neglectful of now opportunity to advance the public welfare, while their deepest interests, their ambitions, and their natural inclinations are bound up in their profession, in which they are honored, and in which they have achieved enviable distinction.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

William J Mann

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

William J. Mann, who was for more than a third of a century actively identified with the industrial interests of Scott county as a carriage builder, has lived retired in Davenport since October, 1906. His birth occurred in Waldeck, Germany, on the 27th of September, 1833, his parents being Jacob and Anna Kathrina Mann, who spent their entire lives in that country. The father followed farming throughout his active business career. After completing his education William J. Mann turned his attention to the mastery of the wagon maker's trade. In 1851, when a youth of eighteen years, he set sail for the United States, landing at Baltimore, Maryland, on the 9th of May, after an ocean voyage of six weeks. He worked at his trade in Baltimore for about four and a half years and went to Chicago, Illinois, where he was employed as a wagon maker for one year. In 1856 he came to Davenport and for four years worked in a carriage shop on Fourth street. During the next seven years he followed his trade in Muscatine and in 1867 embarked in business on his own account, opening a shop at Walcott, Iowa. Later he also opened an implement store there and conducted the same successfully for a period of thirty-five years, when he sold out and retired to private life. He continued to reside in Walcott for about five years after his retirement and on the 10th of October, 1906, came to Davenport, now making his home in the handsome modern residence which he erected at No. 2211 Ripley street.

On the 6th of November, 1857, Mr. Mann was united in marriage Miss Elizabeth Schaeffer, who was born in Germany on the 18th of September, 1838, and whose parents passed away in that country. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mann were born seven children, the record of whom is as follows. Mary, who wedded Charles Yust of Colorado, is now the mother of eight children, namely: Charles, Clara, William, Henry, Dorothy, George, Edward and Carter. William, living in Minnesota, married Miss Caroline Stoltenberg, by whom he has five children: William, Walter, Myrtle, Nina and Winnie. Amelia, who gave her hand in marriage to Edwad Meyer of Hickory Grove township, had five children: Lillie, Hilda, William, Herbert and Arthur. George, who makes his home in Redfield, South Dakota, wedded Miss Nina Armstrong and has four children: Eva, Dorothy, Millie and a baby. Louis, living in Osmond, Nebraska, married Miss Agnes Graham, by whom he has two children, Winnie and Lulu. Edward, who resides at Calumet, O'Brien county, Iowa, wedded miss Tena Benedix and has one son, Randolph. Miss Hilda Mann is at home. The wife and mother was called to her final rest on the 3d of February, 1901, and her loss was sincerely mourned by all who knew her.

Politically Mr. Mann is independent and while residing in Walcott he served as a school director for about twelve years. He is a well known member of the German Pioneer Association of Scott county, and has now passed the seventy-sixth milestone on life's journey. Coming to the new world in early manhood, he utilized his opportunities to the best advantage and gradually worked his way upward until he gained a place among the prosperous, respected and representative citizens of his community.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Edward Meyer

From "Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

Among the leading men of his part of Scott county must be numbered Edward Meyer, who was born in Davenport township, September 19, 1859, his parents being Hans and Cecelia (Stoltenberg) Meyer, natives of Holstein, Germany. Both of them came to America in 1847, she in company with her parents and he alone. They were married in Davenport and lived on a farm in Davenport township until 1867, when they moved into Blue Grass township, only a short distance from the city, the father engaging in farming there. In 1897 he died at the age of seventy-seven, and upon the consequent breaking up of the home, the mother returned to Davenport, living there until 1904, in which year she entered into her heavenly rest. This estimable couple were the parents of seven children: Matilda, wife of Hans Hansen, of Davenport; Martha Mollie, unmarried, residing in Davenport; Adelia, wife of William Koberg, of this county; William of Blue Grass township; Caroline, wife of William F. Frye, of this county; Theresa, wife of Fred Rehder, of Lake Park, Iowa; and the subject of the sketch who is the fifth in order of birth.

Edward Meyer resided under the parental roof in Davenport and Blue Grass township, assisting his father and becoming well grounded in the manifold branches of the agricultural science. In 1886 he deemed it expedient to make himself more independent and took possession of the farm upon which he still resides. This valuable property consists of two hundred and twenty-five acres and is located on sections 22 and 14. It is exceptionally well improved and adorned with an attractive residence. Mr. Meyer engages successfully in general farming, stock-raising and dairying. As additional interests, he is a director in the Farmers' Savings Bank of Walcott and the Farmers' Elevator Company of the same place.

On the 24th of February, 1886, Mr. Meyer was united in marriage to Miss Amelia Mann. Mrs. Meyer was born April 15, 1864, and is the daughter of William and Elizabeth (Schaffer) Mann, both of them natives of Waldeck, Germany. The mother is deceased, the father now residing in Davenport. A family of five children brightens the home of Mr. and Mrs. Meyer, these being by name: Lilly, Hilda, William F., Herbert H., Arthur E., all of whom reside still with their parents. They also lost a daughter, Adelia, who died at the age of ten years.

Mr. Meyer is a loyal democrat and at present holds the office of township assessor in which capacity he has served for two terms. He has also been a member of the school board for twelve years. He is progressive both in the management of his own affairs and in his ideas for the advancement of the community in which he lives, which is only another fashion of saying htat he is a valuable citizen.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer

Hans Stoltenberg

"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago

The strong qualities of industry and frugality which are marked characteristics of the German race were conspicuous in securing for Hans Stoltenberg the success which enabled him to retire from the active life of the farm and live in the enjoyment of many comforts in Davenport. He was born in Germany, September 20, 1828, his parents being Hans and Anna (Mundt) Stoltenberg. With his wife and twelve children the father came to America in 1847. He landed at New Orleans and later ascended the Mississippi river to Davenport. In Scott county he bought seven hundred acres of fine farm land about five miles from the city. Unfortunately, however, he was not permitted to enjoy it or to see the success of his children for he died about two months after his arrival.

His son Hans Stoltenberg was about eighteen years of age when he left his native land. He had received all his education in the public schools there and after coming to this country assisted the family in settling upon the new farm. After the father's death he and his brother Claus remained there for six years and the tasks were many and hard that were laid upon their shoulders in order to care for their brothers and sisters until this land, which had been but little cultivated, was producing richly. At the end of six years the homestead was divided between the children and for the next twenty-two years Hans Stoltenberg remained upon his share of the estate. A skillful farmer, he soon had his fields highly cultivated and his place well improved, winning therefrom large and ample returns for his labor. With advancing years he determined to give up the active operation of the place and came to Davenport in 1887, where he devotes himself to looking after his several interests, for besides retaining possession of his farm he holds some stock in the Farmers & Merchanics Savings Bank.

Mr. Stoltenberg was married in 1854 to Miss Elda Baresa and they had seven children: Minnie, the wife of Richard Petersen and a resident of Davenport; Henry, who wedded Miss Tillie Speck and has seven children; William, who married A. Hoss; Amelia, who is the wife of E. Stoltenberg; Louis, who wedded Melia Beckman; Edward; Mrs. Theresa Miller; and Caroline who became the wife of William Mann. For his second wife Mr. Stoltenberg wedded Miss Elizabeth Hoss. The family have been raised in the Lutheran church in harmony wih whose teachings they endeavor to order their lives and in whose support Mr. Stoltenberg has always been liberal. He belongs to the Society of Old Settlers here and, having witnessed and participated in the growth of Davenport, the memories of his past years are rich in reminiscences of the early days and the incidents and hardships connected with them. His home is at 911 West Seventh street.

Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer