Attended Our First Country School
Emmetsburg Democrat Newspaper, Sept. 26, 1935
Submitted by Kathleen
Above are pictured six of the youngsters who
attended the first log cabin school in Palo Alto county, a school which was
located in Walnut township, a short distance of where the Osgood River Bridge
now stands. The school was established in 1865. Among the other
pupils who attended the school where M. F. Brennan, John Nolan, Ellen
Mahan, Anne Mahan, Mary Mahan, P. J. Nolan, John Neary, Mrs Dan Sherlock, Jack
Laughlin, Martin Coonan, Ed Brennan and Maggie Martin. There were others
but their names have escaped the memory of the men and women of that group who
are living today.
The first teacher employed in the school was Dick
Dunn. Other teachers who were later employed were Anthony Chris
Rasmussen, Michael Crowley, Jerry Martin, Chas. Duncan, Leroy Grout, John J.
Robbins and Judge Carr.
It will be remembered of course that the Irish
Colony was established northwest of Emmetsburg in 1856. Earlier settlers
had in 1855 located near the present site of West Bend. Among them were W. D.
Powers, A. B. Carter, Mr. Goldtrap and Mr. Acheson. John McCormick of the
West Bend neighborhood was Palo Alto county's first superintendent. He
was often called upon to give examinations to teachers who applied for
teaching positions. It has been humorously remarked that one of Mr.
McCormick's questions to perspective teachers was the request that they say
the "Our Father" backwards.
to Palo Alto County, Iowa