Newspapers - 1919

Emmetsburg Democrat
Emmetsburg, Palo Alto, Iowa
Wednesday, Jan 8, 1919

Want Dr. Joynt Discharged

Cherokee, IA, Jan 1-The town council of Marcus at a special meeting adopted
resolutions asking for the immediate discharge from the United States
service of Lieut. M.F. Joynt, formerly a practicing physician of Marcus, who
is now in the medical branch of the army. The resolutions were forwarded to
the commanding officer of the camp in Georgia where Lieut. Joynt is
stationed. His return is asked to assist in caring for influenza patients,
the influenza situation in that town having been alarming during the past
few weeks.

Emmetsburg Democrat
Emmetsburg, Palo Alto, Iowa
Jan 29, 1919

Met His Aunt, Enjoyed Native Hospitality, Gained Valuable Information

Michael MILLER, who served during the summer on the mine laying ship,
Housatonic, which has the world's record in this line of naval work, arrived
in this city Friday morning for a ten day stay. He will return to Boston
where the vessel on which he is at present stationed is in dry dock. He
landed at Hampton Roads and from there went to Yorktown. Later the vessel
was taken to Boston.
Mr. MILLER visited his aunt at Athlone in the county of Westmeath, Ireland,
just before he left London which was the first and only trip to the Emerald
Isle. he found Athlone a place of perhaps 7,000. It has substantial
buildings and is very neat. In this respect it is much superior to American
cities of the same size. However, like most European places, it does not
begin to do the business of  places of its size in this country.
In the summer of 1690, one of the most sanguinary battles in Irish history
was fought at Athlone. It was for the possession of the city and the control
of the bridge that crosses the Shannon river. The Irish,who were on the
defense, were greatly outnumbered by the British,who attacked them with
superior artillery. After a struggle of several days, in which courage
worthy of the heroes of Thermopylae was manifested, the defenders held their
position. As warriors, the Irish have, for 1,000 years, won fame on the
leading battle fields of Europe. It is not surprising that they are still
determined to gain their freedom.
Mr. MILLER found the people of Athlone genial, warm harted and frugal. They
are well dressed, though their clothing is plainer than American garments.
This is true of all countries in Europe. Though oppressed and persecuted for
centuries by a foreign government, the Irish people are fairly prosperous.
Crops were good last year and prices were high because of the war. Ireland
furnished more food for Great Britain than any other country except the
United States and more soldiers for allies than any other unfree country in
the world.
Mr. MILLER had some difficulty in locating his aunt. His father died when he
was a small boy and he did not have her address. He made inquiries of nearly
fifty people before he learned where she lived and everyone he asked about
her was willing to bring him home and entertain him free of charge until he
could locate her. The Irish are perhaps the most hospitable people in the
world. "God bless you," "Good night and God be with you," and "May you never
want for anything" are very common expressions in Ireland. One evening while
talking to his aunt he remarked to her how little he thought on Christmas
day in 1918 that he would so soon be poking the burning turf in the fire
place in her home.
Practically all the thatched roofs in Ireland have disappeared but they are
still to be found in the highlands of Scotland. Most of the buildings are of
stone and many of the roofs are of tile and slate. The houses are of course
Ireland has good, well attended schools and the churches are large and neat.
The Irish boys are passing the best civil service examinations in Great
Britain. Mass is said daily in the churches and there is always a fair
attendance. On Sundays the churches are crowded. The Irish are a very
religious people. Divorces are almost unknown in Ireland and suicides are
very rare. Erin has perhaps the least illegitamacy of any country in Europe.
Major crimes are very few.
In the vicinity of Athlone the roads are mostly of stone. They are narrow
and winding and there are generally stone walls on both sides. Some of the
roads are very rough.
There is an abundance of turf in the Green Isle. There are nearly 3,000,000
acres of it and runs from 15 to 40 feet in depth. It is cut like brick and
is dried in the sun. Some of it is of a light color, some red and more dark.
It is much lighter in weight than coal. It burns readily and is very clean.
It is sort of a vegetable growth. Some of it resembles matted roots. Ireland
has considerable coal but it is not used much in the homes of the common
Many of the farmers use donkeys and drive them in two wheeled carts. Such
outfits can be seen in the several countries of Europe. When the donkeys are
driven to town and are hitched to posts they often lie down and fall asleep.
Mr. MILLER saw many splendid horses and cattle in the parts of Scotland he
Mr. MILLER found excellent victuals in the Irish homes and eating houses.
The potatoes are large and mealy, the meat tender, the butter rich in color
and well flavored and the goats' milk as rich as American cream.
Mr. MILLER's father served several years in the British army before he came
to the United States. He fought in the bloody battle of Tel'el-Kebir in
Egypt in 1882 when he was wounded. Hence Michael comes from good old
fighting stock.
The people of Ireland claim that 170,000 of their young men lost their lives
during the four years' struggle on the continent. This would be the
equivalent of 4,500,000 in death losses for the United States, considering
our population. Still, those who have charge of the pro-British propaganda
in this country claim that the Irish have done nothing to make the
world......[parts missing...]
Though he enjoyed the warm hospitality of the Irish and the good nature and
the friendliness of the Scotch, he would not care to live permanently in
Ireland or Scotland. The U.S.A. is the finest, fairest land under the sun
and there are no eyes so bright or so bewitching as those of the Iowa girls.
When he is mustered out of the navy he will, we wish to inform our readers,
in confidence, build a neat home of his own and will make a Palo Alto beauty
the queen of it.

Emmetsburg Democrat
Emmetsburg, Palo Alto, Iowa
Wednesday, April 9, 1919

Charles Joynt Was In Telegraph Construction Work Overseas

Charles Joynt who arrived home from overseas on Thursday, will take his old
position as operator in the Milwaukee depot. He went across early last
spring. He was in the signal corps and spent the summer and fall months
constructing telegraph lines through France. The Americans found it
necessary to build lines of their own in order to haul their trains
promptly. The lines extend from Breit to Tours, Bordeaux, Marseilles and
other important places. They will now be taken over by the French
government. The French have good railway tracks but they are not strong
enough for the heavier American cars. Their locomotives are large but their
cars do not carry over ten tons while American cars will bear several times
this weight.
Mr. Joynt found the French people quite hospitable but he soon became tired
of trying to make them understand English. He spent considerable of the
winter 100 miles south of Paris. In January he had a furlough and took a
trip into the Pyrenees mountains, which are close to Spain. American
soldiers were not allowed to cross the border into Spanish territory. Mr.
Joynt spent a day or two at the resort where Harry Thaw attracted so much
attention but he assures us that he did not try to put on any of Thaw's
The winter south of Paris was very mild. Farmers did not gather their
vegetables and grass remained green. There were one or two light falls of
snow but the beautiful remained only a day or two.
Mr. Joynt had more freedom than was allowed the ordinary soldier. He was
permitted to go about in the various places he visited and he had good
opportunities of studying the customs of the people. He often attended
services in the French churches. He liked their music and found the interior
of their edifices beautiful. French priests, like Americans and those in
other European countries celebrate mass in Latin but their accent is
different. They seem to be earnest, eloquent preachers but of course he
could not understand them.
Although he had no experience with cooties, Mr. Joynt was required to take
all that was coming to him in two delousing machines in France and one in
New York. He says this is an experience that the American soldier really
enjoys. Those wishing to learn particulars should consult him. Of course he
is glad to be back. He feels well paid for his experience abroad.

P.J. Carmody Injured in Arm and Knee. Has Two Brothers in Germany, Four
Brothers in Service

P.J. Carmody, who was mustered out of the service at Camp Dodge on March 28,
was a pleasant caller Monday. He left France March 8 and arrived at Newport
News ten days later. He went across a year ago. After landing at Brest, he
spent some time in the old Napoleon barracks and was transferred to a camp
in the Algerian mountains near Alsace Lorraine. He spent several weeks in
the trenches in that section and was also in the Toul sector. He was a
runner from the front lines to the officers headquarters. He knew many
privates and several officers who were killed in the Alsace trenches. Late
in September, Mr. Carmody was placed on duty near St. Miehl. He remained
three weeks. The losses of the Americans were, he says, very heavy. From St.
Michl he was transferred to the Argonne Forest where the casualties were
also heavy. The American forces in that sector did not learn of the close of
hostilities unti tow hours after the armistice was signed.

On August 31 Mr. Carmody was wounded on the Alsace Lorraine sector. He was
running with a message from the front ot the officers' headquarters when the
trenches ahead of him were shelled. A tree three feet thick was cut off and
pitched lenghwise ahead of him. He was thrown to the ground by the shock and
was unconscious for twenty minutes. At first he did not know that he had
been injured. His left knee cap was weakened and his left arm was partly
paralyzed. He will probably never regain the full use of his arm. His left
knee is some better though it still bothers him. He delivered his message
and was asked to make a return trip. Shortly after starting he fell to the
ground and had to be taken to a hospital where he remained for two months.
For three or four weeks he moved about on crutches. Mr. Carmody was in the
regular army for two years but he did not serve on the Mexican border. He is
28 years of age. His regiment captured the first two towns in German
territory on the Alsace front tht fell into the hands of the Americans.

The runner has often a very perilous time of it. Snipers and shooters are
constantly watching for him. At night he has to carry his provisions to
locations where he can secure them readily when he is trying to steer clear
of the sharp shooters, artillery and poisonous gasses. The mustard gas, he
says is very severe. Some times it is found in water in ponds and creeks.
When the soldiers wash their faces the gas may blind them. Chlorine gas, he
tells our reporter, is pleasant to smell. However, a few whiffs of it is
ruinous to the lungs of the soldier. The gas hangs around damp places and in
underbrush where it does deadly work. It is hard to shoot it up the sides of
hills or mountains because it generally lowers. It usually settles in damp

Mr. Carmody's brother, Will, in now in the army of occupation in Germany. He
is in the artillery branch of the service. He was in the battles at Chateau
Thierry, Verdun, and the Argonne Forest. He was never injured and so far as
has been learned, was not in a hospital. He went overseas about a year ago.
His third brother, John, is also in the army in Germany. He is in the
hospital corps. He was never injured.

His fourth brother James did not go across. He was stationed at Camp Dodge
for some time. He was mustered out a short time ago.

Chris Skow is Dead
Chris Skow, who lived in Walnut township for many years, died at Graettinger
last Wednesday. The funeral was held on Friday. Services were conducted at
the Danish-Lutheran church. The burial was in the parochial cemetery. Mr.
Skow was 76 years of age. He is survived by his wife and one daughters.
Definite particulars have not yet been learned. Mr. Skow was one of the
upright, substantial farmer citizens of the community and had a wide circle
of friends. All will learn with genuine sorrow of his death. He lived to a
ripe old age.

Chas. Myers Invests in Emmetsburg
Frank Myers has sold his residence property in this city to his son, Chas.,
who recently moved to Emmetsburg from Remsen. He has bought the Herman
Paulson Barber shop on Main street. He took possession last Thursday. Mr.
Myers paid $2,500 for his father's property. He is a good barber and has
many warm friends in this city. The Democrat wishes him success.

Iowa and Her People
There are 490,500 families in Iowa. Of these 336,000, or 69 per cent, own
their own homes. Happy families and material prosperity are an excellent
foundation for good citizenship.
Rural Population...1,080,116
Urban Population...1,277,950
Foreign Born Population...264,169
Natives of U.S., not born in Iowa...541,983
Iowa born...1,555,914
Negroes, Japanese, Chinese, Indians, etc...16,744
Married Persons...981,043
Increase in population in ten years...146,016
Population per square mile...42.4
Persons engaged in gainful occupations...788,684
Number of automobiles in state...350,000
There is one automobile for each seven persons in Iowa- and none is ever
without gasoline.
Iowans spend fifty million dollars every year for automobile tires.---Iowa

Lose Their Only Boy
Mr and Mrs Edward Donovan of Estherville mourn the death of their only son,
Edward, who passed away in St. Anthony's hospital at Carroll Monday evening
from the effects of a surgical operation. The remains were brought to
Emmetsburg last evening and will be interred in St. John's cemetery. Edward
was perhaps ten years of age. He was a bright, promising, cheerful boy. His
loss will be felt keenly by the parents and their two daughters and by
numerous local relatives and friends. The young are often missed more than
those who are older because there is so much of promise in them and because
childish innocence is appreciated by all. Mr and Mrs Donovan and their
little girls have the sincere sympathy of a wide circle of friends in their

Surprise Mr and Mrs Jolliffe
A surprise silver wedding was given Mr and Mrs A.J. Jolliffe, living
northeast of town, last Wednesday evening, March 25, when about thirty-five
immediate relatives gathered at their home to remind them of the
twenty-fifth anniversary of their marriage. A short time after all had
arrived, a sumptuous wedding dinner was served, of which all partook
heartily and enjoyed immensely. After talking over old times and enjoying a
good time generaly, Mr and Mrs. Jolliffe were presented a number of silver
articles, such as knives, spoons, forks, etc, which they very graciously
accepted, and which will no doubt be held by them in years to come as
remembrances of the happy occasion. All present report a very fine
time..---Mallard Independent.

Bad Man Visits Cylinder
A floater, who gives his name as Joe Moran, came to Cylinder a short time
ago and arranged to do farm work for Ora Combs. He stated that he would be
willing to stay for his board until Mr. Combs could decide if he would be
satisfactory. On Saturday he concluded he would quit and commenced abusing
Mr .Combs. Just then Louis Mitchell, a neighbor, happened along and
listening for a few moments to his abusive language, told Mr. Combs that he
would not stand for any such conduct. Moran picked up a hammer and threw it
at Mr. Mitchell hitting him in the face, tho not seriouly injuring him. Mr.
Combs phoned to Sheriff Jackson, who ordered the marshal at Cylinder to
arrest the stranger. He was brought to Emmetsburg for a hearing. He was
arraigned before Justice Stuehmer and was bound over to await the action of
the grand jury, which will meet in September.

Emmetsburg Democrat
Emmetsburg, Palo Alto, Iowa
Wednesday, May 28, 1919

Prices $180 to $300 per Acre. Fortunes in Deals Made Within a Few Days

Robert LAUGHLIN, who bought the Mrs. J. Reade CLARK half section farm in
Emmetsburg township during the winter for $132 per acre, has sold it to
JOYNT Brothers of LeMars for something like $177.50 per acre. He has made
almost $16,000 on his investment. The improvements on the farm are light.

P. O'GRADY has sold his 254 acre farm south of Curlew, formerly owned by Mr.
FLESNER, for $300 per acre. He paid $265 per acre for it.

Herman HUSKAMP, who was in from Independence township on Monday, reported
that the old D.A. BECK half section farm was sold a few days ago to D.
LYNCH, John WAGNER and Will STIGMAN for $175 per acre. Jake ZWEIFEL
purchased the Wm. VOIGHT quarter section paying $220 per acre for it. Many
farmers in Fairfield and Independence are afraid to list their lands.

David JOYNT has purchased the old August WARNKE 200 acre farm north of the
O.P. DOYLE school house for $165 per acre. It changed hands a short time

Peter SPITTAL, who lives near Ayrshire, was in town Monday. In March he sold
his farm and a week or so ago he bought the Archie SCHAEFFER quarter
section, paying $225 per acre for it. The deal was reported in last week's
Democrat. Mr. SPITTAL has resided in Palo Alto for quite a number of years.

We understand that Pat SHAUGHNESSY has sold his farm close to Ayrshire to
Ira BOWMAN of Spencer for $250 per acre. Mr. BOWMAN formerly lived in the
vicinity of Ayrshire but moved to Spencer where he purchased a half section
farm. He sold his Spencer holdings and intends returning to the Ayrshire

Last Friday Ed. THOMPSON invested in a quarter section of land some distance
north of Estherville. He paid $165 per acre for it.

The Champion reports that Dr. McCREERY has bought Mrs. Howard RIST's farm
north of Whittemore. The consideration is not given.

John DOLAN of Highland township has sold his 115 acre farm to some gentleman
from Ayrshire for $200 per acre.

Some time ago E.L. ARCHER of Ruthven bought the 266 acre farm belonging to
the estate of the members of his family for $172 per acre. He sold the place
a few days ago for $225 per acre.

P. NESSEN has sold his eighty acre farm near Curlew to William COAKLEY, Jr.,
for $300 per acre. It adjoins the corporation. Mr. NESSEN bought the farm of
Art BROWN about three years ago.

Mrs. Michael MOLLOY has sold her quarter section farm in Great Oak township
to Dr. J.C. MURPHY of Emmetsburg for $167 per acre. There is considerable
wet land on one eighty. The place has fair improvements.

D.S. UMBRELL writes us that he received $170 instead of $160 per acre for
the eighty he recently sold to Peter WALDRON. Mr. WALDRON assumes the ditch

We understand that the SPIES eighty acre farm on which William COAKLEY lives
was sold a few days ago for $265 per acre. We have not learned the name of
the purchaser.

F.P. BRADY has bought the old Thomas CONLON 240 acre farm of Michael
KENNEDY, the owner, for $200 per acre. Mr. KENNEDY paid something like $100
per acre for it five or six years ago. Mr. BRADY has sold the old C. BANNON
80 acre farm in Great Oak township to Mrs. Bernard FARRELL. Mrs. Oscar ROOT
and Mrs. ANDERSON have owned it for some time. The consideration was $175
per acre. The farm has changed hands three times since last fall when it
brought $137.50 per acre. Mr and Mrs. FARRELL have now 480 acres land in
Great Oak township.

Dr. J.C. MURPHY bought the LOWMAN half section farm in Vernon township
Saturday. He paid $190 per acre for it. He also bought the KULP & FRYE 233
acre farm in the same township for $175 per acre. He has during the past ten
days invested in 700 or 800 acres of land. He has unbounded faith in the
future of Palo Alto real estate.

James MEHAN, who lives south of this city, has bought the old Michael McEVOY
farm five miles northwest of this city for $150 per acre.

Thomas HORAN, who lives southeast of Ruthven, has sold his 120 acre farm for
$205. We have not learned the name of the buyer.

A few days ago Sam  ROZEN bought of H.M. HELGEN a choice quarter section
farm in northeast Vernon. He paid $215 per acre for it. He claims he has
since refused an offer of $235 per acre for it. Mr. ROZEN is a money maker
and knows a bargain when it is offered to him.

Michael FLEMING informs us that Austin CHATFIELD, who bought Mr. KINNE's
quarter section farm in Highland township something over a year ago for $150
per acre has sold it to a Manson gentleman for $185 per acre. The new
purchaser has refused $230 per acre for it.

Ora COMBES has bought A.L. SPROUT's quarter section farm on section 35 in
Freedom township for $200 per acre. He paid $90 per acre for it a few years

Last week Charles DUHIGG sold three quarter section farms ast Swea City. One
brought him $187.50 per acre and the two others $165 per acre. The last two
he bought several months ago. He received a good advance on the price on

Dr. Robert JOYNT and another gentleman from LeMars has bought of M.L. BRADY
the old LITTLETON quarter section farm in Great Oak for $180 per acre. Mr.
BRADY secured it about a month ago for $150 per acre. He made a very nice
profit on the deal.

J.H. WILSON, the hustling cashier of the Emmetsburg National Bank, bought
two choice farms near Ringsted the first of the week. We have not learned
the names of the parties from whom he made the purchases. A few days ago he
sold his farm on section 14 in Vernon township for $215 per acre.

We are indebted to John J. SULLIVAN of Graettinger for the following report
of real estate sales which have been made during the past few days:

John JACKMAN has sold to Ed. E. SHERMAN and Con SKOW the Nels SKOW 240 acre
farm west of Emmetsburg for $200 per acre. Mr. JACKMAN bought the place a
short time ago. The deal was made by P.J. McCARTY.

John JACKMAN has sold a quarter in the Mud Lake neighborhood to Howard HEAD
for $192.50 per acre.

Henry SMITH has disposed of 180 acres to Ray YOUNG. The price is $185. P.J.
McCARTY made the deal.

J.P. KIRBY of Estherville has sold his 646 acre farm, his 240 acre place and
his farm of 243 acres to Ray HOOD of Wallingford. We understand that a
number of Clare parties are interested in the big purchase. The definite
consideration has not been learned but we understand that the prices are

Ed ARNETT has disposed of 160 acres north of Graettinger to Louis LARSON.
The consideration was not given.

Louis LIPPOLD has sold the John TJADEN quarter section farm to Eli THOMPSON
and Miss Pearl RICHARDSON of Emmetsburg. The land is close to Dunnell,
Minnesota. Consideration is not given.

John TJADEN has sold his quarter section farm east of Graettinger to
Ayrshire parties for $200 per acre.

John TJADEN has bought a quarter near Ceylon, Minnesota for $175 per acre.
He has since refused $250 for his purchase.

The Charles TJALEN 240 acre farm west of Ringsted has been sold to Mrs. J.J.
WATSON of Emmetsburg for $200.

The Dr. ROLAND 200 acre farm east of Ringsted has been purchased by Ed
THOMPSON and Miss Pearl RICHARDSON of this city. We have not learned the

Mr. LIPPOLD has sold a 160 acre farm west of Ceylon to M. MAURITSEN of
Ringsted. The consideration is not reported. He has also sold another
quarter to parties from southern Iowa. Most of the deals mentioned above
were made by Mr. LIPPOLD.

Mr. GALLAGHER and W.R. O'BRIEN of Ayrshire, representing the GALLAGHER Land
company informed our reporter yesterday, while in the city, that the John
HAND 120 acre farm owned by HAHN brothers of Mallard has been sold for $200
per acre.

M.J. CONRY has disposed of the old WOOLEY section farm in Great Oak township
to Fonda parties for $23 per acre.

P. MALIA has bought the old M.B. KANE quarter section from Joseph KELLY for
$225 per acre. It lies two miles east of Ayrshire.

John BAXTER has bought the ANDERSON quarter section of Mr. JONES of Spencer
for $267.50 per acre.


H.W. TANSEY of West Bend, who was in Emmetsburg Saturday, informs us that he
recently bought a quarter section farm one mile north from Superior. He paid
$225 for it. He will probably move onto it in March. He sold his quarter on
section 30 in West Bend township some time ago for $175 per acre. He informs
us that the McCULLOUGH half section near West Bend recently sold for $200
per acre. Later it was bought by Greene parties who paid $235 per acre for
it. William LONG farm of 160 acres has been sold to George TRIGGS for $215
per acre. It lies southeast of town.

Mr. BENEDICT has bought a 240 acre farm on which John GREWELL lives for $235
per acre.

A. SCHAUGHNSEY has bought an eighty acre farm north of Ayrshire for $225 per

The West Bend Savings bank made a profit on the deal of something like $35
per acre within three or four weeks. Mr. TANSEY saw some corn above the
ground as he was coming to Emmetsburg.


Ed CLARK, who was up from Mallard yesterday, informs us that he and Harry
VAN GORDON have bought the Edward KRESS 40 acre farm just south of Mallard
for $275 per acre. It is well located and is finely improved. He also
informs us that Terry DOYLE who lives southeast of Mallard, has sold his
quarter with buildings to Pocahontas parties for $202 per acre. He still
holds his other quarter. It has no buildings.


The H.L. RYON 160 acre farm northeast of Laurens was recently purchased by
V.H. BUCKWALTER. The price per acre was $300. The R.S. MATHER quarter two
miles east of Rolfe has been taken by C.J. WHITE at $300 to $225 per acre.
Nick BENREN?SEN of Rolfe reports the sale of his farm near Curlew to parties
at Gilmore for $250 per acre.

Keeps Our Reporter Very Busy Reporting Transfers

Chas. DUHIGG has bought the Nick MART quarter section place at Gukeen
Minnesota. Mr. MART intends returning to Emmetsburg.

Mrs. F.P. WILSTE has bought Mr. HERRON's 120 acre farm south of the McCOY
bridge for $200 per acre.

Yesterday L.P. STRAND bought back his old 200 acre farm at Depew from W.J.
BRECKENRIDGE for $245 per acre. Mr. BRECKENRIDGE paid $215 per acre for it.

Chas. SIEGLE (or SLEGLE) has sold his 200 acre farm east of this city to
some stranger for $300 per acre. It has little tile and the improvements are

Yesterday Pete McKENZIE sold the LUDON 240 acre farm near Depew to Mr.
STRAND for $200 per acre and he also sold one of H.M. HELGEN's 120 acre
farms near Curlew. He has not informed us of the price received.

F. WEISKAMP who lives near Mallard has sold his 480 acre farm to HOOD Bros.
for $165 per acre. He bought quite cheap of Mr. MORLING about a [sentence
not finished]

Last week Dr. KULP sold a quarter section farm near Graettinger to John
JACKMAN for $165 per acre. The land has since changed hands thre times.
Howard HEAD bought it last of the week for $197.50 per acre.

J.E. SCHOOLEY has sold the H.W. BEEBE 240 acre place southwest of town
formerly the property of Mr. ZEIHIKE (or ZELHIKE) to Will ERRICKSON of the
Depew neighborhood for $180 per acre. He has also disposed of the WILTSE &
HOELZNER 240 acre place in Jack Creek township to W.H. GAYLORD of Emmetsburg
for $180 per acre.

Yesterday Thomas O'CONNOR sold his eighty acre place a mile southeast of
this city to Lawrence DOYLE of Whittemore for $250 per acre. Leo O'CONNOR
bought the land a few years ago for $75 per acre and built on it. Mr. DOYLE
will move onto his new farm in March.

Art GARRETT of Lohrville has bought the Howard HEAD 80 acre farm formerly
known as the BUTLER place, for $225 per acre. The deal was, we understand,
made by H.M. HELGEN. Mr. HEAD bought the place last fall for $185 per acre.

Emmetsburg Democrat, Wed., June 11, 1919




List of Those Who Received Awards and Honors


   The closing exercises of St. Ellen's Academy were held the last of the week.  Thursday afternoon a very interesting class play was given in the hall in St. Thomas' church.  The several who participated acquitted themselves with credit.  There was a good attendance.  Saturday morning all of the pupils attended mass and benediction.  At the close certificates for completion of the eighth grade were granted to Ronald Shea, Thomas Kelly, Emmet Jackman, Raymond Jackman, Edward Keane, George Littleton, Donald Joynt, Harold Joynt, Irene Doty, Mary Mugan and Ada Foster.

   The prize awarded by the Knights of Columbus for application was awarded to Miss Ruth Casey and the prize for attendance to Ronald Shea.

   The prize given for Christian Doctrine by the Ancient Order of Hibernians was awarded to Kathryn Laughlin.

   George Littleton was awarded the prize for the best record in Irish history.

   Palmer diplomas were awarded to George Littleton, Ronald Shea, Thomas Kelly, Emmet Jackman, Irene Doty, Mary Mugan and Ada Foster.

   The Sisters of St. Ellen's inform us that the total attendance during the year was 112.  The work done since the opening week in September was thorough and was highly satisfactory. The good sisters in charge have every reason to feel proud of the splendid record they have made since coming to our community.


Was in Service Two Years
     Paul Ziehlke, who was mustered out of the service at Camp Dodge on Thursday, arrived home on the morning of July Fourth. He is looking well and is exceedingly hearty. He enlisted in the engineering department of the service in June 1917. He went across the following December. He did not have an opportunity of reaching any of the battle lines during the war but was at Toul and was prepared for action when the armistice was signed. He visited the battlefield on which Ted Rea was killed. Later he took three snapshots of the cemetery in which 30,000 Americans are buried. He was not able to locate Mr. Rae's grave but he has the resting place of another friend marked and friends of Mr. Rea tell him that Ted's grave is only a few feet away. Mr. Ziehlke had a great many interesting experiences while abroad.

Want a Dollar Per Hour
     Masons who are employed on the state buildings at Ames have struck for $1 per hour. If they are too stiff in their demands it is quite likely that the finishing of the work will be postponed. In putting up structures for permanent investment, property owners cannot afford to pay exhorbitant prices for labor and material.

At the Tabernacle
     The Kelleys are doing some good work and God is honoring their labors. Five souls sought God Sunday. Services each afternoon and evening this week. Three services next Sabbath at 10:30 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon and 8:15 in the evening. Come and hear the whole gospel.

County Will Not Lose
     O'Brien county had $5,000 deposited in Mr. Knaack's bank at Hartley when it failed. It was fully secured. Steps have been taken to enforce the collection of the amount.

Saunders, Weeks, Bowden on Wings
The Democrat Editor Also Tries a Spin Through the Air

     Saturday evening, at 4:45 we enjoyed a delightful trip in the beautiful government seaplane around picturesque Medium lake and high above our charming little city. Ensign R.P. Applegate was in charge and we had every confidence that he would bring us back in safely to the landing place. We appreciated with childish interest the skip over the surface of the lake for a distance of perhaps 50 rods as the waters splashed in various directions. there was no unpleasant sensation whatever as the plane left the lake and commenced to go upward. At times Ensign Applegate would shoot skyward on an apparent slant of 80 degrees but perhaps this would have been an impossibility. At all events the experience was decidedly exciting, and we instinctively tightened our grip on both sides of our chair. Higher and higher we climbed until we were told that we had reached an altitude of 2,500 feet. Not for a moment did we feel anything but a sense of security. As we came south from Third Island, the plane turned and took a strange upward movement. We thought that we were about to come down to the water again. Once we noticed that we were dropping sideways. We did not realize at the time what Ensign Applegate was doing but we looped the loop, took a tail spin and also a nose dive. At least our friends told us so when we landed. We are informed that Mayor Saunders whispered to the Ensign as we were starting, to give us all that was coming to us and we understand that the Mayor's chums gave similar instructions when he was taken up immediately after we had reached terra firma. We did not arrange for any stunts but we are glad that we had them. In descending there was no disagreeable feeling. We did not experience any nervousness, were not dizzy, and our heart and stomach did not annoy us in the least. The plane makes a very loud noise and the power that drives it upward seems to the passenger almost irresistible. We would not care to handle the wheel or levers while we are in the air.
     Medium lake skirted by green groves, verdant lawns, and smiling fields, and lying so snugly at the north end of our little city, with its solid business houses, inviting homes, shaded streets and avenues and refreshing groves, presents to the eye of a local citizen a scene far more pleasing than that of a city in a deep valley when viewed from the top of a towering mountain. Our residence blocks did not seem much larger than green squares on a checker board and the Des Moines river appeared like a long, narrow strip of green but a couple of blocks away. Fields of growing corn and small grain stretched far away towards the distant horizon in every direction. The vast spectacle was one of panoramic beauty. We would have gladly lingered for an hour to survey the magnificent spectacle but the humming, speedy, bounding seaplane would not wait for us. In a few moments, the bewildering vision was gone and we descended smoothly, quietly, quickly reaching Lake Medium just south of Mr. Saunders home and the plane shot swiftly southward o'er the placid waters to the Soper park. The beauties of the heavens are indeed wonderful to behold but the earth is, after all, a good place to which to return. We were satisfied to come back to mingle again with the poor, sad faced, unfortunate sinners we had left behind. We shall never forget our first trip through the air in a seaplane.

Great Circus, Splendid Fireworks, and Speedy Seaplane

     The celebration in Emmetsburg last Friday and Saturday, in honor of our returned soldiers, was pronounced by the thousands who were in attendance the most creditable they ever witnessed in this section of the state.
     Thursday evening there was a great downpour of rain and it continued to shower during the night. In the morning the streets and roads were literally covered with water. This put a damper on the forenoon exercises. It kept most of the country people form coming to town. The morning's program of speaking and singing had to be postponed. In the afternoon Professor Carlson of Morningside college of Sioux City spoke briefly in front of the grand stand but there were so many attractions on our streets that he did not have a very large audience. Our reporter did not know when the speaking would take place and did not have the pleasure of hearing him. Hence we are not in a position to comment on anything that he said. The Emmetsburg Cornet band played frequently during the early part of the day and rendered creditably a large number of snappy and up to date selections. The boys were very generous with their music both days and were frequently complimented for their earnest efforts to please the many who were anxious to hear them. They were assisted by several players from Ayrshire.
     The street decorations were elaborate and most of our business houses were profuse in their displays of the national colors. The entire town had on its best holiday clothes and there was a warm welcome for all who came to celebrate.
     People who have traveled in foreign lands and who have visited all of the principal cities of our country declare that they never saw better performances in first class circuses or in Orpheum theatres than were given in the hippodrome show which was presented each afternoon and evening on a large fifty foot platform on Broadway just in front of the grandstand.
     The gentleman and lady who rode around the ring on a horse were superb. Mrs. Davenport, although she had a slight accident the first day, proved herself a wonderful rider.
     The acrobatic clowns and the young man who performed on the horizontal bars with them were exceedingly clever as well as humorous.
     The lady on the trapeze was an artist in her line and the three Italians consisting of a large gentleman and the little fellow in green clothes and his wife were marvels in athletic skill. We have never seen neater work on a platform than was done by them.
     The little Jap who turned on his hands and feet and who performed other difficult feats was all that he claimed to be and more and his partner, who walked on a rope to the top of the Geyerman building and who slid backward on his toes to the platform received a hearty round of applause for the thrilling exhibition he gave. This act alone was worth coming miles to see.
     The large performing elephant was the best we have ever seen and the horse, pony and dog represented in this number were almost human in their acting. The entire exhibition which would have cost from 50c to 1.25 in any Orpheum theater or circus was given free. It cost Emmetsburg a great deal of money to secure this attraction but it will be remembered as the truly high class entertainment of its kind in the history of our county.
     The beautiful seaplane, which was sent to Emmetsburg from the Great Lakes Naval Training station, was an object of interest. It was in charge of Ensign Applegate, who was accompanied by six sailors, including the master mechanic, who built the machine. Several flights were given each forenoon, afternoon and evening. We understand that Emmetsburg is the only town that was favored with a government plane aside from the cities near which naval stations are located. No other places in Iowa was able to give an exhibition of this kind. Ensign Applegate is a genial warm-hearted gentleman and ranks high among the aerial performers of our country. He is justly considered the best man in his line in the Great Lakes naval station. The seaplane was anchored at the south end of Medium lake. When a flight was taken it was started northward and would plow lightly through the water for a distance of perhaps fifty rods before it would begin to move upwards. The plane is about fifty feet wide and in many respects resembles an aeroplane. Beneath the engine is a large cigar shaped float and there is a smaller float on each side. In starting and in coming down from the air a bird could not have made a better showing. Ensign Applegate frequently flew to a height of from 3,000 to 5,000 feet, going to the north end of the lake and returning soaring north and south over our beautiful little city. He occasionally performed stunts that demonstrated admirably his skill as a performer and his judgment, coolness and courage as a flier. Hundreds were constantly watching along the lake front as he was departing and coming back from his flight and he was kind enough to take a number of our citizens up with him and convince them that a trip through the air is not so perilous as is popularly supposed. No charges for services were made by Ensign Applegate and his sailor companions or by the Great Lakes Naval station but our citizens were required to pay all transportation expenses, hotel bills and similar charges. It is needless to say that the naval visitors were royally treated by our business men and citizens in general. They declared before leaving that they had never met a more hospitable or appreciative people and they felt confident that their visit to this section of Iowa would, in time, being them quite a number of recruits. This was one of the purposes of their visit to Emmetsburg. Our citizens feel grateful to Ensign Applegate, his several assistants, and the officers of the Great Lake station for their generosity in bestowing this special favor on Emmetsburg and to Mayor Saunders, who at his own expense, made a special trip to Chicago to secure this splendid attraction. He and Mrs. Saunders and the members of their family did a great deal to entertain our naval visitors and several of our local boys, especially Will Nolan, who were on duty at at the Great Lakes, contributed generously of their time and efforts toward making the undertaking a success.
     In Friday's ball game Emmetsburg defeated Ayrshire by a score of 13 to 11, but on Saturday Emmetsburg lost to Mallard. The score was 9 to 1. There were a number of foot races and other amusements on the ball park during the evening but the Democrat has not received a report of them. The fireworks both evenings were exceptionally fine. Visitors to large cities and state fairs have never seen better displays.
     The thousands who assembled to enjoy the two days' exercises were in the best of humor and our reporter has not learned of a single scrap. One or two gentlemen had more gingerale than they could carry with safety but they were not troublesome. No arrests were made. We have not learned of a single accident.
     The celebration was highly praised by people who came from far and near and will for years be considered a record breaker in the history of Emmetsburg. The various attractions were well worth the prices that were paid for them. We congratulate the members of the various committees on the outcome.


Emmetsburg Democrat
Emmetsburg, Palo Alto, Iowa
Wednesday, 22 July 1919


Funeral on Thursday, Was Largely Attended

     Mrs. John J. Higgins died at her home in this city Tuesday afternoon of
last week. Her condition for several weeks was hopeless. She became ill in
September. She went to Colfax Springs where she remained for eight weeks.
Later she took treatment in Retreat hospital in Des Moines. She was also in
Mercy hospital for a short time. She did not receive any encouragement and
finally went to Rochester, Minnesota where she consulted the Drs. Mayo. They
could not, it seems, do anything to relieve her. She bore her affliction
with a resignation that was truly Christian but she gradually became weaker
and after many months of lingering, death came to relieve her.
     The funeral was held Thursday. Services were conducted at the
Assumption church, Very Rev. P.F. Farrelly officiating. The burial was in
St. John's cemetery. There was an unusually large attendance. Many came from
Ayrshire and other neighboring places to be present at the obsequies. The
pall bearers were her three nephews, Frank McGowan, Carl Berger and Daniel
Higgins and three cousins, John Finn, Charles Joynt and D.W. Joynt.
     Mary Jane McGowan was born at Dyersville, Iowa, July 4, 1864. Hence she
was closing out her fifty-fifth year. She grew to womanhood in her home
community. She was married at Dyersville, April 14, 1885, to John J Higgins.
Mr. and Mrs. Higgins lived in the vicinity of Dyersville until 1893 when
they moved to this county. They located on a farm in Great Oak township.
They became prosperous and built a fine home. Last fall they bought James
Murray's large residence in this city. They moved into it in March but Mrs.
Higgins did not have the good fortune to enjoy it long. Mrs. Higgins is
survived by her husband, five sons and four daughters. The sons are Charles,
Edmund, Harold and Bertrand. The daughters are Mrs. John Hand of Borup,
Minnesota and Misses Mary, Margaret and Loretta Higgins who are at home.
Three children died in infancy. Mrs. Higgins death is also mourned by her
sister, Mrs. M.B. Kane of Ayrshire and her brother, John McGowan, of Kansas
City, Missouri. Two brothers, Thomas and William, preceded her in death.
     Mrs. Higgins had scarcely passed womanhood's prime when she was taken
from the inviting domestic scenes that were so dear to a wife and mother of
her taste, temperment and ambition. Nine worthy sons and daughters were
regularly the recipients of her love and her attention and all the comforts
of the prosperous, happy home were hers to enjoy. It is sad indeed that
life, when surroundings are so inviting and promising, should have so many
and such bitter disappointments, but Providence undoubtedly knows what is
best for all of us and will, in some way, compensate the bereft and
sorrowing for the heavy burdens they are asked to bear. Mrs. Higgins
worries, during the early stages of her illness, were greatly increased by
the absence of her son, Charles, in France and the realization of the
perilous dangers to which he was from time to time subjected. For months
after she commenced to decline she waited anxiously and longingly for his
return. The war department, for some unknown reason, failed to grant him a
furlough so that he might come home to see his weak, declining mother.
However, Mrs. Higgins never gave up hope until he and his absent sister,
Mrs. John Hand, reached her bedside. The deceased was a truly devoted wife,
a provident, loving, watchful, zealous mother and a sincere practical
Christian lady. She was in every way an active, helpful, useful member of
the thrifty public spirited community in which she resided. Her high aims,
her commendable resolutions and her ennobling deeds will during the years to
come, have a marked influence for good in the lives of her devoted sons and
daughters. They will also leave a lasting impression on the minds of the
many who mingled with her in neighborhood and other affairs. The sympathy of
all goes out to the husband and the other members of the household in the
great sorrow that has come to them.

It Will Reach Vinton This Afternoon

     C.C. Quinn has bought an airplane at Dayton, Ohio. He and Wm.
Dick-Peddie are coming home in it. They reached Indiana at 3:10 p.m.
yesterday and were at Indianapolis last night. They hope to reach Vinton
this afternoon and Emmetsburg by six o'clock this evening. We congratulate
Mr. Quinn on his enterprise and wish him success with his plane.

Killed Crossing Railroad.
     Mr. and Mrs. John McMahon and their little daughter of Rockwell City
was killed at Ogden Tuesday evening of last week as their car was crossing
the Northwestern track.

Ottosen Lady Injured.
     Miss Marie Movick of Ottosen was seriously injured near Fort Dodge
Tuesday night of last week. The car she was driving turtled. She was taken
to Mercy hospital.

Well Represented at Summer School.
     Palo Alto county is quite largely represented at the summer schools at
Cedar Falls, Ames and Cherokee during the present season. Misses Elsie
Walters, Amiey Johnson, Augusta Sewell, Adeline Sandvig, Phoebe Rice, Leone
Barnett, Marie E. Millea, Anna C. Millea, Walter Scott, Mary Malia and
Clarice Lynch are among those who are taking special training.

Had Hard Luck in Norway
     Captain C. Olsen of Yokohama, Japan, who in 1918 visited his
brother-in-law, Ole T. Gjerde, had a rather serious time of it after leaving
Emmetsburg. He spent over three months in a hospital in Norway where he was
treated for gall stones. Teh gall bladder had to be removed. A stone the
size of a walnut was found in it. An operation was performed on his left leg
and part of the shin bone was taken out. Afterwards he was taken down with
Spanish influenza and is finally recovering from the effects of it. Howver,
he is feeling like a youngster again. Captain Olsen's son remained in Norway
to take charge of his father's office in that country. He intends coming to
New York during the present year to open and office in that city. Captain
Olsen bought a Buick Six car at Seattle when he was returning to Japan. It
cost him something like $3,000 laid down in Yokohama.

     Frank Meade, who was a slide trombone player in the 350th regimental
band, tells us that the leaders used a great deal of judgment in making
selections when they were out playing. " Over There" and "Keep Your Head
Down, Fritzie," were among the most popular pieces. "You Keep Sending Them
Over, and We'll Keep Knocking Them Down," was also a favorite. There were
perhaps a dozen other airs that were practically as enjoyable to the boys
when they were in camp and on the firing line. Any fellow who commenced
lilting or whistling "Home Sweet Home," "So Long, Mother," or other said
pieces was quickly called down. While the boys appreciate such selections
under proper circumstances, they did not care for them overseas, as sad
music had a tendency to make the fighters homesick. Mr. Meade was close to
the firing line in the Alsace sector. The band would go forward with the
company but would not be in the front line trenches. The boys were required
to do any task assigned them when they were not playing. Mr. Meade visited
Chateau Thierry and many other battle fields on the western front during his
absence. His band was on duty at Monte Carlo for seven weeks. While there
the boys were given a big feed by Charles Schwabb, the steel king. He sat
down with them and was the biggest fun maker in the bunch. He asked all of
them to call on him should they ever visit his home city of New York. Each
was given Mr. Schwabb's photograph. Mr. Meade says he never before enjoyed
such fine feed. Lieutenant Zott of Des Moines was the leader of the band.
Mr. Meade was the only member from this county but several other players
were from neighboring counties in this section of the state. There were
Irish, English, Germans, Scotch, Norwegians, Bohemians, and Italians with
the band as well as Americans. In all there were fifty pieces. Mr. Meade,
while in camp and overseas, had an experience that will always be
interesting to musicians as well as to his friends and companions.

Alexander Peddie of Houston, Texas. Calls on His Many Old Friends.

      Alexander Peddie, who moved to Houston, Texas, twelve years ago to
give special attention to his large rice plantation, dropped into Emmetsburg
the early part of the week and has since been greeting his numerous friends.
Should he be able to get settlements with a few of his local creditors, he
will return to Emmetsburg to reside. He has always considered this his real
home. He disposed of his plantation in Texas seven or eight years ago for
$400,000 but the breaking out of the Balkan war upset the plans of the
purchasers and they could not make the necessary payments. Litigation
followed adn Mr. Peddie became a heavy loser. It is needless to say that the
death of his son Scott, who was in the service, was a very sever blow to
him. his son Franklin is engaged in the real estate business at Cedar Rapids
and is doing well. Mr. Peddie was, for more than a quarter of a century, one
of the leading business men of our community. We doubt if any other citizen
of our county contributed more willingly or generously towards the
development and upbuilding of our city and county than did Mr. Peddie. He
was always in the front ranks when there was an enthusiastic boosting to be
done and he was willing to back up financially his professed zeal for the
advancement of our community's interests. For twelve years we have missed
him from our popular hustlers. We all sincerely hope that he may succeed in
making such adjustments to his affairs as will enable him to come back to
our little city again to become a sharer in the activities and friendships
of our thrifty and prosperous county.

Emmetsburg Democrat
Emmetsburg, Palo Alto, Iowa
Wednesday, July 30, 1919


Ray McNally, Who Returned Home Sunday Morning
Ray McNally arrived home from France Saturday evening. He was mustered out
at Camp Mitchell, New York. He came to Chicago over the New York Central. He
enoyed a couple of days taking in the sights of the great eastern
metropolis. His coming was a surprise to his father and the others of the
family. He is looking exceptionally well but is quiet [sic] badly tanned. He
was evidently out in the warm sun a great deal while he was in France.
Sunday he put on his civilian clothes. He is glad to be one of our people
Mr. McNally was in the medical department of the army. Our government has
still large supply depots not far from Paris. Mr. McNally was, however, in
the French metropolis only once while over there. He tried to get permission
to visit England and Ireland, but his request was denied.
While the French are not enemies of the Americans, they are not so friendly
as they were when our boys first went across. A bad riot occurred in Brest
several weeks ago. A Frenchman tore down the American flag. Trouble followed
and six or seven French soldiers were killed. After that the Americans were
denied certain liberties they had previously enjoyed. The young French men
are jealous of the American soldiers, many of whom are popular with the
French young ladies. The Americans spend their money freely and the French
do not believe in this. Of course this is not true of Mr. McNally and many
other young Americans.
There has been a great improvement in the condition of Brest. When Ray first
went over he had to tramp for days through the mud and at night he often
slept in the mud. The city is now better drained and cleaned and there is
not so much cause for complaint. Criticism evidently did the war department
some good.
Considering the high price of food, the French are not so unreasonable in
their charges for meals. Mr. McNally became quiet [sic] fond of French bread
but he does not care much for some of the food that is placed on the tables
in restaurants in that country.
The slums of New York are cleaner than the small French cities and the
villages. Sanitary conditions in France are very poor. The well to do
classes have, of course, better environments but a large number of the men
who were prosperous were killed during the war. It requires considerable
formality for our boys to secure permission to mingle with the better
classes. We need not say that the men in khaki did not care to humble
themselves in order to secure the recognition of any class of foreigners.
Mr. McNally had a great deal to do in looking after the various kinds of
serum that were used in the army. It proved very effectual in preventing
diseases. A special kind of serum was injected into the bodies of soldiers
as soon as they were wounded in order to prevent them from taking lock jaw.
Our reporter was surprised to learn that there several thousand American
prisoners in France. They are required to work regularly and it will
probably be a long time before some of them are released. Quite a number of
officers sold food to the French people without permission and pocketed the
proceeds. Others are serving time for minor offenses. The sentences range
from thirty days to a year and a few will have to spend the remainder of
their lives in federal penitentiaries.

Cylinder Items
A.L. Sprout and son Harvey returned from Minnesota the first of the week. They had business interests at that place.

Mrs. S.S. Howard, accompanied by her children, arrived here last week from Toledo, Ohio for a visit with her parents, Mr and Mrs. A.L. Sprout.

Miss Nellie Quam arrived home from Minneapolis. She will spend some time at the parental home at this place.

Several of our people were at Emmetsburg Thursday. They went to hear the 168th Infantry band.

Delbert Gates of Ruthven was an over Sunday visitor here.

Mr and Mrs George Freeman and family recently left by auto for a visit with South Dakota relatives.

Mr and Mr Jim Hill returned Sunday from a visit with relatives in Kansas.

Tom Cullen has just completed a fine corn crib and granary on his farm near this place.

A.L. Sprout recently purchased a fine new Reo car.

Tom and Francis Cullen attended a dancing party at Arnolds Park Sunday evening.


Father Dobberstein is making arrangements to hold a picnic at the park about the middle of August. These picnics have always been a grand success and there is no question but the one held this year will be equal to any of the former ones. The program will be completed in a short time and published.

The little boy of Mr and Mrs Will Smith, who was taken to Iowa City a short time ago for treatment in Univeristy Hospital, died there last Thursday and was brought to West Bend Friday afternoon. The funeral was held from the Lutheran church Sunday.

Mrs. Jos. Dorweiler is in Des Moines visiting her daughter, Miss Flossie, who is employed with the Bankers' Life Insurance Company.

Fred Leinbach is quite ill with an attack of fever. A slight improvement in his condition is reported.

Emmett Lutgen has accepted a position with J.H. Wilson.

B.F. McFarland and wife spent last week in Chicago where they went to buy a fall stock for the McFarland & Walker store.

Chas. Imhoff died at his home in West Bend Sunday afternoon. He has been ill for some time and his demise was not unexpected. The funeral will be held from the Apostles church Monday.

Mr. Henry Eisler, who had the misfortune to get one of his legs fractured while unloading bridge piling about three weeks ago, will be home from Iowa City soon.

Graettinger Items.

Arthur Bergum was in Minneapolis last week looking after business interests.

Miss Lulu Montgomery, who has been attending summer school at Ames, returned home Saturday.

Miss Margaret Jackman has been the guest of Miss Alice Wildey the past week.

Mrs. J.A. Spies and Mrs. John Jackman entertained a party of ladies Thursday afternoon.

He and a Boston Man Carried a Wounded Soldier Seven Miles Under Fire

     Our reporter recently met Alfred C. Nelson, who arrived home from overseas early in June. We had quite a chat with him but have not had time to make a not of his perilous experiences until this week.
     He landed at Newport-News. He was fifteen days on the ocean. He came across in an American boat. It traveled rather slowly. The soldiers on board had plenty of good eats but they were not so fortunate when they were going to France. They traveled on a British boat and the provisions were scarce.
     Mr. Nelson went across on June 18. Soon after he landed he was placed on duty at Chateau Thierry. He reached that place shortly after the big drive. He was in the 101st regiment, which was part of the 26th division. He served five days in teh firing ranks in that locality and, after hard efforts, the objective point, the Marne river, was reached. He was then allowed ten days to rest when he had to report for duty again.
     Mr. Nelson was in the American forces when the drive at St. Mihiel was commenced. The losses were comparatively light. A distance of nine miles was made the first day. The American barrage was one of the most successful in the history of military warfare. Mr. Nelson served on the Verdun front. The losses in that locality were at times quite heavy. Mr. Nelson was gassed four or five times but fully recovered. Five weeks after he returned from the hospital he volunteered for M.P. duty.
     In one of the battles in which he was engaged, his company was detached from the main part of the army. Most of the soldiers were able to return to their own lines by 10 a.m. but he and other soldier named Mike Drone of Boston were not able to get back until six in the evening. They carried a wounded man seven miles. During their trip they were often subject to deadly shell fire but they succeeded in getting their patient out of danger and he was taken to a hospital. Mr. Nelson and Mr. Drone were each given citations for extraordinary bravery under conditions that were at times most hazardous.
     Mr. Nelson met his brother Clarence while on the western battle front but saw him only a short time. Clarence was in the 132nd Infantry and served in the 33rd division. he was on duty at St. Mihiel, at Verdun and in other engagements. He was never wounded or gassed, although he had several close calls. His regiment was nearly wiped out near Verdun. His division was prepared to march towards Metz when the armistice was signed.
     Alfred spent the winter at Nancy, Euneville and Strassburg. He speaks well of the French people. He says they did not overcharge him for anything that he bought of them. He was only a week in Germany. Hence he did not have an opportunity of familiarizing himself with conditions in that country.

Mark Irvine, Who Saw It, Says It Is a Masterpiece

     Monday evening we enjoyed a pleasant call from mark Irvine, who arrived home from France on Monday. He was mustered out at Camp Dodge. He and Richard Beebe came across on the President Wilson. The trip was a rather slow one, but only one day was the sea rough. They started from Marseilles, which is the principle seaport on the Mediterranean. it is a metropolitan city. People from all parts of the world are found there. The trip on the Mediterranean was delightful. As top of a day was made at Algiers on the African coast. It is a place of perhaps 75,000 people. While the natives are dark, they are not negroes. Messrs. Irvine and Beebe took a long trip through Algiers on burros. They had local guides. The streets of the old section of the place are narrow and irregular. The vessel stopped four days at Gibraltar. July Fourth was spent at that place. The soldiers were not allowed to go very far across the Spanish line.
     Mr. Irvine says the French people treated him nicely. He does not complain that they overcharge for very much that he bought when he considers that the country has gone through the most destructive war in history. The French have wonderful cathedrals at Bourges, Lyons, Marseilles and other places. The auditoriums of their edifices are not very well equipped for the comfort of worshippers but their facades, statuary, frescoing, altars, railings and other adornments are simply wonderful. The beauty of the art galleries, museums, theatres and other places of special interest is almost bewildering.
     Mr. Irvine says the immense painting in Paris of the western battle front is perhaps the finest thing of the kind in the world. The building in which P is found covers perhaps two blocks. The painting is in sections which represent in detail the part taken in the great struggle by the the Belgians, British, Italians, Americans, French and other allied countries. The first thing to be seen as the visitor enters is an excellent representation of the French Seventy-Five. All the leading officers of the several countries that participated are given prominent places and the uniforms of the soldiers of the allied countries are also illustrated in detail. There is scarcely a hill or a valley on the western battle line that can not be located on the immense painting and many scenes are so realistic that they impress strikingly all who view them. Mrs. Irvine says that seventeen great French artists labored on this painting for four years and they were assisted in the rough work by hundreds of painters of less note. This wonderful work of art will attract the attention for years to come of visitors from all parts of the world.
     Mr. Irvine, Will Knight and T.J. Coonan were together a great deal of the time while they were in France. They received the Democrat quite regularly and they often saw other Iowa newspapers. Any publication from home was always welcome.
     General Pershing does not seem to be so popular with the American soldiers as some of the other officers. Hunter J. Liggett, who is second in command, has a strong hold on the affections of all who know him.
     Mr. Irvine is pleased to note that Emmetsburg has been steadily improving since he left. Our town is, he thinks, rapidly coming to the front and is bound to hold its own among the prosperous communities of the state.

Large Sales at Ayrshire

L.A. Hill, who was over from Ayrshire Friday, reports that there have been quite a number of land sales in his home neighborhood during the last couple of weeks. Supervisor John Rehms has bought a 120 acres farm in the Dan Johnson neighborhood for $310 per acre. He sold his 800 acre place some time ago and later bought and eighty west of Silver Lake. He paid $250 per acre for it. Harry Grady has purchased the quarter formerly owned by P. Shaughnessy, paying $275 per acre for it. Omro C**tington has secured the John Jones 220 acre place two miles from Ayrshire. The consideration was $300 per acre. The improvements are fair. R. Smith disposed of his eighty south of Ayrshire for $235 per acre but has taken it back again at the same price. * Kelly has bought the McKee quarter section and the Schaefer 80 acre farm in Clay county. He paid $200 for the McKee farm and $150 for the Schaefer place. The improvements are slight on the McKee farm and there are no buildings or tile on the Schaefer property.

Buys the Wilcox Residence
     Patrick Sherlock of this city has bought the D.M. Wilcox residence in the Second ward. He paid something like $4,000 for it. It will make Mr .and Mrs. Sherlock a very comfortable home.

Sells Farm Near Ruthven
     Woods and Ellwanger report that they have sold a 205 acre farm two and one-half miles from Ruthven to E.E. Bates for $210 per acre. We have not learned the description of it.

Sold for $270 per Acre
     We understand that E.M. Thompson, Miss Pearle Richardson and Mrs. J.J. Watson have sold their quarter section farm near Ceylon, Minnesota. The consideration was $270 per acre. They made a nice profit. We are glad to learn of their success.

Sold Farm for $100,000
     John McCoy informs us that Thomas Prendergast of Hartley sold his 240 acre farm a short time ago for $100,000. Saturday he bought a half section near Algona, paying $300 per acre for it. Mr McCoy has been working as a carpenter at Hartley since early in the spring.

Their Cars Collided
     Mr and Mrs Barber had an auto accident between Spencer and Ruthven. No one was seriously hurt but the Haynes car belonging to Mr. Barber was badly damaged. The car that ran into him was smashed up. This is the second time in the last few years that Mr. Barber has had auto accidents.--Ruthven Free-Press.

Do You Need Glasses?
     I have secured office rooms in the Opera House block and shall be glad to have my many old patrons call and have their eyes fitted. Ask any business man in Emmetsburg about my ability or my experience. I shall remain in Emmetsburg a short time. Call and see me.
D.H. Glenn, Optician.

Given Fine Piano
     Miss Madeline Coonan arrived home from Iowa City yesterday. She graduated from the State University of Iowa in June as was taking some special work during the vacation period. When she reached home she was presented with a dandy Chickering Baby Grand piano as as graduation present. Miss Coonan has more than made good in her studies and her parents have shown in a substantial way their appreciation of her efforts.

W.J. Benjamin Celebrates It By Walking Ten Miles.
     Saturday W.J. Benjamin, father of Mrs. G.W. Kinsman of this city, who has been visiting her for some time, celebrated his 92nd birthday by walking about ten miles. Every year he observes it in this manner. He started out on his journey at 7:30 in the morning and continued until a half hour before noon. After he had eaten an excellent dinner he walked two miles more. He felt hearty at supper time, ate a splendid meal and slept well during the night. Mr. Benjamin is probably one of the best preserved men in the United States, considering his advanced years. He is very abstemious in his habits and has taken the best care of his health. He has three sons and two daughters living. Two of the sons are engaged in railroad work and live in Chicago. The third owns a meat market at Paxton, Illinois. Mr. Benjamin spends most of his time with his daughter, Mrs. D. Rockwell of Paxton but he occasionally comes to Emmetsburg to enjoy part of the summer season with Mrs. Kinsman. The Democrat hopes he will live to be a centenarian and that he will honor Emmetsburg by celebrating his 100th birthday in viewing our beautiful little city.

Miss Cornell Berry enjoyed Sunday with her mother in this city. She is attending school at Des Moines.

Vincent McCormick was a passenger to Cedar Falls Tuesday to spend a short time with his cousins, Mr and Mrs John McCoy.

Cylinder Items
A.L. Sprout and son Harvey returned from Minnesota the first of the week.
They had business interests at that place.

Mrs. S.S. Howard, accompanied by her children, arrived here last week from
Toledo, Ohio for a visit with her parents, Mr and Mrs. A.L. Sprout.

Miss Nellie Quam arrived home from Minneapolis. She will spend some time at
the parental home at this place.

Several of our people were at Emmetsburg Thursday. They went to hear the
168th Infantry band.

Delbert Gates of Ruthven was an over Sunday visitor here.

Mr and Mrs George Freeman and family recently left by auto for a visit with
South Dakota relatives.

Mr and Mr Jim Hill returned Sunday from a visit with relatives in Kansas.

Tom Cullen has just completed a fine corn crib and granary on his farm near
this place.

A.L. Sprout recently purchased a fine new Reo car.

Tom and Francis Cullen attended a dancing party at Arnolds Park Sunday

Father Dobberstein is making arrangements to hold a picnic at the park about
the middle of August. These picnics have always been a grand success and
there is no question but the one held this year will be equal to any of the
former ones. The program will be completed in a short time and published.

The little boy of Mr and Mrs Will Smith, who was taken to Iowa City a short
time ago for treatment in Univeristy Hospital, died there last Thursday and
was brought to West Bend Friday afternoon. The funeral was held from the
Lutheran church Sunday.

Mrs. Jos. Dorweiler is in Des Moines visiting her daughter, Miss Flossie,
who is employed with the Bankers' Life Insurance Company.

Fred Leinbach is quite ill with an attack of fever. A slight improvement in
his condition is reported.

Emmett Lutgen has accepted a position with J.H. Wilson.

B.F. McFarland and wife spent last week in Chicago where they went to buy a
fall stock for the McFarland & Walker store.
Chas. Imhoff died at his home in West Bend Sunday afternoon. He has been ill
for some time and his demise was not unexpected. The funeral will be held
from the Apostles church Monday.

Mr. Henry Eisler, who had the misfortune to get one of his legs fractured
while unloading bridge piling about three weeks ago, will be home from Iowa
City soon.

Graettinger Items.
Arthur Bergum was in Minneapolis last week looking after business interests.

Miss Lulu Montgomery, who has been attending summer school at Ames, returned
home Saturday.

Miss Margaret Jackman has been the guest of Miss Alice Wildey the past week.

Mrs. J.A. Spies and Mrs. John Jackman entertained a party of ladies Thursday

Ruthven Free Press
Ruthven, Palo Alto, Iowa
October 8, 1919

- Alvin Hansen is now working in the Wade Harris garage.
- Joe Jackson of Dodson, Mont. is in this city visiting at the home of his uncle, Thos. Jackson.
- Mrs. Anna McNeary was in Spencer last week. She was caring for Mrs. Harold Barber, who had been quite ill.
- Miss Gladys Nunnally arrived in this city from Polson, Mont., Friday. She has accepted the position in Berg & Brennan's store recently made vacant by the resignation of Miss Alice Rhinehart.
- Mrs. Glen Hall of Spencer was arrested and taken to Algona some time ago, charged with aiding auto thieves who were operating in this vicinity. She was able to prove her innocence, however, and was allowed to go free.
- Chas. Slagle has been made the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul agent at Cylinder and has already taken up his duties there. The Slagle family will move to Cylinder in the near future. Everyone in Ruthven will be sorry to see this good family leave here as they are excellent people and are desirable citizens in every way. Mr. Slagle has been agent in Ruthven for many years and has rendered much valuable service to the public and to the Milwaukee company.
- Harold Holmgren returned to Ruthven Monday after having received his discharge from the navy at the Great Lakes. He was in the service for over two years, serving over a year of this time in the Azores off the coast of Spain. He returned with the same opinion as the hundreds of others who have returned this summer, and that is "there is no place like home."

Emmetsburg Democrat
Emmetsburg, Palo Alto, IA
Wednesday, 30 Dec 1919

A Most Creditable Record Made by an Emmetsburg Lady

Monday was the twenty-fifth anniversary of the taking of the final vow as a
Sister of Charity by Sister Mary Placentia, formerly known by the people of
Emmetsburg as Miss Anna Fitzgerald. During the day many old friends called
on her to extend congratulations and give her a few valuable presents which
she will prize highly. She is director in music in St. Mary's Academy.
Sister Mary Placentia has had a very active and useful career as a member of
the great teaching order to which she belongs. She was on duty at Mt.
Carmel, Dubuque, for two years, was in St. Bridget's school in Chicago for
two years, and was one of the five sisters who opened the new school in the
Sacred Heart parish at Fort Dodge when Father Heelan, now bishop of Sioux
City, was appointed its first pastor. She was next transferred to Our Lady
of Victory academy at Waterloo where she remained for a year. From there she
returned to the Sacred Heart School at Fort Dodge. Five years later Sister
Placentia was sent to the Visitation Academy of Des Moines. She was next
assigned to duty as sister superior in Holy Name school at Marcus, Iowa,
from which institution she went to Chicago where she was placed in charge of
the Sacred Heart school and convent. September, 1919, found her installed in
her alma mater as music instructor. She has excellent ability, is a zealous,
tactful, tireless worker. She has given training to hundreds of young ladies
in one of the most treasured of the five fine arts. The Democrat offers
hearty congratulations and sincerely hopes she may have the happiness to
celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of her entrance into religious life which
she has proven herself so helpful to education and society.

[Transcriber note: Sister Placentia was born Hanora Finn, dau. of David Finn
and Hanora Joynt Finn. Her mother died in childbirth and she was subsequently
adopted by James Fitzgerald and Theodosia Warren Fitzgerald.
See also  Emmetsburg Democrat, 8 May 1908:
"Sister Mary Placentia, of Ft. Dodge, was an Emmetsburg visitor during the
past week. She came to see her father, David Finn, who has been very ill for
some time. She has charge of the music department in the Sacred Heart
Academy. She will be remembered as Miss Annie Fitzgerald."]