Brewer, Luther A. and Barthinius Wick. History of Linn County, Iowa From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time Vol II. Chicago: Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911.

William Murray was born near Moate, in County West Meath, Ireland, in 1777, where he followed farming and acted as steward for the noted landowner, John Longworth, of Glin. In 1802 he married Miss Alice Balfe, and unto them were born seven sons and four daughters, the third oldest son being Thomas, whose birth occurred April 7, 1808. He remained on the farm with his father until he attained his twenty-first year, when he went to Athlone with his oldest brother, Bernard, engaging employment with the Robbison Distilling Company and securing rooms in the home of Nicholas Keating, where they remained for seven years. During this time Thomas became an expert distiller and maltster. He also won the heart and hand of Miss Ann Keating, they being married on January 10, 1836. With his wife (and brother William), Thomas Murray sailed for America on the 2d of May following, landing in Montreal, Canada, about eight weeks later. Here he secured work at his trade with the Malsom Brewing Company and later with Edward Prentiss Company, receiving what was then considered a very high salary. The two brothers joined the government forces in putting down the short-lived French rebellion. Of the ten children, five sons and five daughters, William, Michael, who died in infancy, and John E. were born in Montreal, the last named on the 19th of May, 1841. Two years later Mr. Murray removed with his family to New York state, engaging in farming near Newburgh, where he remained for two years. Elizabeth, the oldest daughter, was born on this farm. In 1845 they returned to Ireland with the intention of remaining, but a great change had taken place, many of the young people of their acquaintance having emigrated to this country and many old relatives and friends having departed this life. Mr. Keating died shortly after their arrival at the ripe old age of ninety-five years. After a stay of about nine months in their native land they again sailed for the new world and after a stormy voyage of eight weeks and three days once more landed in Montreal. Mr. Murray purchased a farm near that city and devoted his time to agricultural pursuits during the summer months, while in the winter seasons he worked at his trade in the city. Later he turned his attention to railway construction, being connected with the building of the Grand Trunk lines and also having charge of the quarries at Point Clair while excavating the stone for the famous Victoria bridge over the St. Lawrence river. While residing on this farm, Mary A., Thomas F., Margaret and Charles P., were born, the last named on the 16th of January, 1854. In 1855 Mr. Murray sold his farm and with his family migrated westward to Iowa, traveling by way of the St. Lawrence river and lakes to Chicago (except from Toronto to Collingwood), thence by rail to Rock Island, Illinois, and on by team to Benton county, Iowa, where they arrived on the 11th of October. There, for the first time since leaving Ireland, Mr. Murray met his father, mother, brother John B. and sister Catherine, who had come from Rochester, New York, the previous March. In Benton county Mr. Murray followed farming until the spring of 1871, when he removed to Linn county. During the stay in Benton county the two youngest daughters, Jennie and Anna F., were born. His father and son William died in 1859, while the mother passed away in 1866. The remains of all three repose in the Catholic cemetery at Iowa City. In Linn county they resided on a farm five miles northwest of Cedar Rapids until the spring of 1875, when they moved into this city, where Thomas Murray died March 12, 1886, his wife surviving until November 17, 1892. Both lie buried in Mt. Calvary cemetery. They were devoted members of the Catholic church and were highly respected as people of unswerving integrity and lived upright, honorable lives.


Brewer, Luther A. and Barthinius Wick. History of Linn County, Iowa From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time Vol II. Chicago: Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911.

A well improved farm of one hundred and sixty-seven acres, located partly in Jackson township, Linn county, and the remainder in Delaware county, has been in possession of William F. Webb since 1900 and has been his home since 1902. He was born in Defiance county, Ohio, November 9, 1855, a son of Joseph and Susan (Claw) Webb, the former a native of Belfast, Ireland, and the latter of Holmes county, Ohio. The father was brought to this country when but two years of age, the family home being established in St. Lawrence county, New York. As a young man he went to Ohio and was married in that state to Miss Claw, their union being blessed with eight children. In 1864 he came west with his wife and eight children and located in Buchanan county, Iowa, where he was engaged in the cattle industry, buying and selling stock on an extensive scale. During the Civil war he also purchased horses for the cavalry. He made his home in Buchanan county until the date of his death, September 26, 1876. His wife had passed to the home beyond a few years previously, her demise occurring August 22, 1871.


Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Union Counties...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

    James T. McCann, residing on section 30, Lincoln Township, was born in Morristown, New Jersey, October 1, 1853, a son of John and Margaret (Burke) McCann, who were natives of Ireland, the father born in County West Meath. He immigrated to the United States in 1846, when he settled in New Jersey, remaining in that State till 1854, when he removed to Hancock County, Illinois. In October, 1874, he came to Union County, Iowa, where he lived till his death, which occurred March 17, 1877. His widow is still living, and makes her home with her son, James T. They were the parents of six children, of whom five are yet living , our subject being the eldest. Their names are-James T., Eugene, Mary J., Rachel E., and Josephine R. James T. McCann was reared and educated in Hancock County, Illinois, remaining there till he gained his majority, when he came to Union County, Iowa, in 1874. He was reared a farmer and has always followed that avocation. He was united in marriage June 22, 1882 to Miss Anna Mullen, a daughter of the late Edward Mullen, and to them have been born two children- Margaret O., and Rose M. Since coming to Union County Mr .McCann has served as township clerk for five years. He has also been president of the School Board, on which he is at present holding the position of secretary. He is a member of the Roman Catholic church, his wife also belonging to the same church.


Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 368-369

     WILLIAM MULLEN, a farmer residing on section 24, Scott Township, Henry Co., Iowa, was born in Ohio, perhaps in Adams county, in 1832, and is a son of John and Elizabeth J. (Harbaug) Mullen. John Mullen was born in Pennsylvania of Irish parentage, and after attaining manhood went to Hamilton County, Ind., where he worked at his trade of mason. After a residence of some time in that county he formed the acquaintance of Miss Harbaug, a daughter of Philip Harbaug, a farmer of that county, and about 1830 their nuptials were celebrated. John was of a roving disposition, and being master of a good trade remained only a few months in any locality until after the birth of his son, our subject, and the death of his young wife a few months later. At that time he resided in Shawneetown, Ill., and one year later removed to Hamilton County, Ind., purchasing a tract of woodland, which he settled permanently upon, and after making it a farm in its fullest sense, resided upon it the remainder of his life, reaching the ripe age of seventy-three years. He married for his second wife Rachel Harbaug, a sister of his first wife, and ten children were born - Philip, Elizabeth, John, Mary A., Cordilla, Thomas, Bernard, Martin, Sarah (deceased), and Maggie. All have grown to man and womanhood since our subject left the home of his boyhood, and have since married. The second wife and some of her children yet remain in Hamilton County on the old homestead, which was hallowed by their births, their marriages, and the prosperity and happiness which followed in the wake of a well-spent life.
     At the age of twenty our subject left his home in Indiana, came direct to this State, and made his way later to Wayne County, where he pre-empted a half section of land, then returned to Des Moines County and began work by the month. Mr. Mullen was united in marriage, Feb. 15, 1855, with Catherine Brennan, a daughter of Thomas and Bridget (Donahue) Brennan. That couple were natives of Westmeath County, Ireland, emigrating to America in 1845, settling in Des Moines County upon lands which Thomas had purchased. Eight children were born in Ireland, all of whom came to this county with them: Ester, wife of James Mullen; Mary, wife of Bernard Mullen; Adelia, wife of Joseph Warren; Margaret, who wedded Emanuel Daugherty; Catherine, wife of our subject; James wedded May Murphy; Thomas, husband of Annie Lyon; Michael, also married, and Patrick, who died in childhood. The parents lived a long and useful life upon their Des Moines County farm, and died respected alike by the good people who knew them. Both were ardent Catholics and were aids in organizing the first Catholic Church in their neighborhood, the Dodgeville Church.
     After the wedding was celebrated by Father Reffee, and his blessing pronounced upon the young couple, Mr. Mullen and his wife began their domestic life upon a farm in Louisa County. Later he sold his Wayne County land, purchasing a farm in Des Moines County near the village of Yarmouth. Upon this they lived a number of years and then came to Henry County, Mr. Mullen having purchased a fine farm upon which he now resides. Here he has grown popular and wealthy and now lives at his ease. Eight children have gladdened their home, all living except one who died in infancy: Francis, Charles, John, Maggie; Mollie, now the wife of Fluke Conden, a prominent young farmer of Henry County; Justin and William deceased. All the children except John are yet under the parental roof, where peace, plenty and happiness reign. Both the parents are members of the Catholic Church at Mt. Pleasant, and the children were reared in that faith.
     Two hundred broad acres pay tribute to the good management of Mr. Mullen, who is rightly considered one of the enterprising farmers of Southeastern Iowa, and his family enjoy a worthy and enviable place in the society in which they move. We welcome the history of the Mullen family to these pages and point to William Mullen as an example of a self-made man.


 History of Butler and Bremer Counties, Iowa 1883

     Nicholas Tyrell, to honor whom the lodge was named, [Tyrell Lodge, No. 116, A.F. and A.M.], was born in Westmeade [Westmeath] county, Ireland, in 1776, where he grew to manhood, learning the trade of a mason. He followed this business, in his native country, until he was 22 years of age, when he came to America, and settled in New York. Here he continued his trade until 1841, when he removed to McHenry county, Illinois, where he resided until 1857, when he came to Iowa, and settled in Washington township, buying a large tract of land. He lived on his land, a greater part of the time, until the death of his wife, in 1862. When not engaged in farm work, he worked at the trade of mason. Mr. Tyrell was married about 1805 to Miss Ann Highland. When quite a young man he joined the Masonic fraternity, and was strongly attached to the order. When the lodge was started at Waverly, Mr. Tyrell being the oldest of the charter members, was honored by having it named after him, and probably no man in Bremer county did more for Tyrell lodge than did Nicholas Tyrell. His whole heart and soul was wrapped up in Free-masonry, and he spent much of his time and money for the advancement of the cause, and at the time of his death he willed to the lodge a tract of land near Waverly, valued at about $1,600, for the purpose of building a lodge room. Mr. Tyrell died in 1872 at the ripe old age of 96 years. Three score years and ten of that time he was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a truer or more faithful man than "Father Tyrell" never bowed at the altar of Free-masonry; and when, by old age, he was taken away, he was buried with Masonic honors, and probably the largest Masonic funeral ever held in Bremer county, was held over the remains of "Father Tyrell."