Iowa Official Register 1909-1910
Biographies of State Officers

Representative from Louisa county, was born in County Tyrone, IRELAND, July
21, 1856, of Scotch-Irish parentage. Emigrated with his parents to the
United States in 1863, settling first at Chester, Pennsylvania, from whence
they came to Louisa county, Iowa, in 1871. Attended the public schools of
Chester up to 1871. On coming to Louisa county his parents settled on a farm
adjoining the town of Fredonia, where he worked for two years. At the age of
seventeen years was apprenticed as a carpenter and worked at this trade for
thirteen years. On January 16, 1887, was married to Miss Belle Eliason of
Muscatine county, Iowa. Engaged in farming for a year and then moved to
Columbus Junction, Iowa, where he has since resided. First engaged in the
clothing business for three years and in 1891, with his brother-in-law,
Charles Elliason, purchased a lumber-yard and has since that time been
continuously engaged in dealing in lumber, lime and coal. Has served in
numerous local offices.First as school treasurer of Concord township in
1878, as mayor of Columbus Junction in 1889 and 1890, as member of the city
council of Columbus Junction for six years and member of its school board
three years. is at the present time president of the Columbus Chautauqua.
Elected Representative in 1906 and re-elected in 1908. A Republican in


Emmetsburg Democrat; Emmetsburg, Palo Alto Co, IA; Wed., April 25, 1917
Is Hale and Hearty at 92
John McCormick, Palo Alto's First School Superintendent, Guest of Honor at Teachers' Reunion.

     The reunion of the pioneers teachers and pupils of Palo Alto county, which was held at the K.C. hall Thursday evening, was not very largely attended on account of the inclemency of the weather. There was a downpour of rain and only a small number were able to come out. Among those present from a distance were John McCormick of Rodman, who was the honored guest of the evening, and J.J. and M.E. Mahan of Graettinger who attended the first school taught in Palo Alto county in Walnut township in 1861. James P. White was the teacher.
Mr. McCormick was 92 on Thursday and he was, it is needless to say, glad to meet his old friends in this city and from other places. His eyesight is rather poor and his hearing is not very good. Otherwise his health is fair. However, his mind is clear and when he speaks he is earnest and interesting. He related many of his pioneer experiences in Palo Alto and he recited several poems showing the valor of the Irish, the people of his race, when Brian Boru, Hugh O'Neill, "the Lion of the North," Art McMurrogh, and other Irish chieftains led their patriotic followers to victory. Mr. McCormick referred at some length to the career of one of his uncles who fought against Napoleon near Copenhagen. He was rewarded for his heroism by the British government. Mr. McCormick stated that after the fall of Napoleon the taxes imposed by the British were so heavy that the people of the county of  Tyrone, Ireland ,where he lived, could hardly bear them. Mr. McCormick can hold his own with the average clergyman in quoting Scripture. He has had a long and an interesting career and has always enjoyed excellent health. He hopes to live to celebrate other birthdays but he says that when God calls him he will be willing to go.
Mr. McCormick came to the United States from Ireland in 1848. He lived in New Jersey for ten years. He started for Iowa in 1838. He reached Iowa City by rail and from that place came by team to Fort Dodge. From Fort Dodge he started on foot for West Bend, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John McCormick, his sister, and one or two of his brothers having located several miles west of the Carter home in 1856. Mr. McCormick said he found considerable difficulty in fording the Badger Creek this side of Fort Dodge because of the swiftness of the current. He claims that in early days a bull would swim across the stream and carry people on his back. The place was called Bull's Ferry. The parents of Mr. McCormick were living in a sod house. Long poles were used for joist and smaller poles were placed across them to hold up the sods for a roof. There was no lumber in the country at that time. The grass was so high that it was dangerous to turn out cows. They might wander away and get lost. Hence they were staked out. Mr. McCormick tells us that he and his brother batched it out for eight years. They had no floor in their house. They baked their own bread and ate their meals off a shingle block. They never had to call a doctor. Mr. McCormick claims that they had plenty of cream, an abundance of eggs and did not have to pay $4.00 per bushel for their potatoes. They did their baking in a Dutch oven. They bought the first mower owned in the county and they cut hay from 1861 to 1863 for farmers in West Bend and Walnut townships. They also owned the first hay rake in the county.
     Mr. McCormick was chosen superintendent of schools in 1861. He served two years. He says his salary was $50 per year. There were two districts in the county. One was in Walnut township and one was a few miles from the present town of West Bend. Hence his duties were not very laborious. John Mulroney, who died at Fort Dodge a few months ago, was treasurer and recorder and he received $50 per year for his services. Mr. McCormick was also coroner in 1861 and he was elected sheriff in 1867. He was treasurer of Fern Valley township for eighteen years. His brother Thomas was clerk of court in 1859 and county judge in 1861.
During the evening remarks were made by C.S. Duncan, who taught his first term of school in our county near the Burns bridge in 1871, by J.J. and M.E. Mahan who attended the first school in the county in 1867 and by J.C. Bennett, who, in 1874, taught in a school house perhaps half a mile north of the east end of the Burns grade. Mrs. T.B. Walsh was one of his pupils. In 1875 Mr. Bennett was chosen county superintendent. As he remembers, his salary was about $200 per year. L.H. Mayne and others spoke briefly concerning their school experiences.
     It is needless to say that all who were present felt very grateful to Mr. Donlon for his thoughtfulness in arranging for the evening's exercises. Had the weather been pleasant there would have been a large attendance.



"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Robert Fleming is a native of Ireland, born in the county of Tyrone in 1806. His is the son of John and Rebecca Fleming, both natives ot the same country. Mrs. Fleming's maiden name was Naville. The parents of Robert came to America in 1818, and located in Pickaway Plains, O., where they subsequently died. Robert did not come to this country until 1831, when he was 25 years of age. He also located in Pickaway Plains, but only remained there a year and a half, when he moved to Lockburn, Franklin Co., in the same State, where he followed his trade of baker, which he learned in the old country, for about six years. Desiring a change he visited Quincy and Springfield, Ill., Burlington, Ia., and other places, and finally located in Davenport in 1838. He brought with him to this place a large amount of flour, with the intention of engaging in the bakery trade. He only made one lot of bread, and then concluded to dispose of his flour and engage in other business. At this time flour was a scarce article, and he refused to sell but a limited amount to each family. When one applied to him for flour, he first asked him how many were in his family, and would then only sell him a certain number of pounds for each individual. It mattered not whether the applicant had the money or not, he let him have the flour. He says that he never lost the amount due him but from one man, the individual denying that he received the amount of flour stated. Mr. Fleming kept no record, and only knew the amount due him by the number in the family, and as the party questioned the correctness of his bill, he told him he could keep it all. When Mr. Fleming disposed of his flour he purchased a piece of land in Davenport township, where he engaged in farming a few years, then sold out and moved to Wapello Co., Ia., where he remained two years, engaged in farming. While in Wapello he married the widow of his brother James, in 1857. Mrs. Fleming was born in Franklin Co., O. Two children were born unto them - James R., born in 1858; Henry, born in 1859, and dying in infancy. Mrs. Fleming had five children by her first husband, four of whom are now living. Mr. Fleming was compelled to take back his farm in Davenport township and therefore sold his farm in Wapello County and moved back. He remained on the farm some years and then moved to the city. Mrs. Fleming died in 1878.


"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Alexander Grace, farmer and stock-raiser, section 13, Liberty Township, was born in Harrison Co., Ohio, Nov. 17, 1854. He came with his parents to this county in 1856. He was reared on his father's farm and educated in the common school and at Iowa City Academy. His father, George Grace, deceased, was born in Tyrone Co., Ireland, Sept. 1, 1813, and was a son of Francis Grace, who emigrated to New Brunswick when George was quite small; thence to Harrison Co., Ohio. He was married Dec. 6, 1838, to Nancy Fawcett, by whom he had 10 children; of these, seven are living, viz.: Margery, Francis C., Henry, John, Alexander, Mary E., and Geo. Eddie. One son, Matthew L., died May 8, 1881, aged 28 years. Francis and Henry were soldiers for the Union in the late war; the former in Company C, 11th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and Henry was in the 2d Iowa Cavalry. Mr. Grace died June 22, 1869. He was a worthy member of the M. E. church. Mrs. Grace is also a member of the same church.


Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianapolis, Indiana: 1911

     The Irish have qualities which bring them to the front everywhere if but a chance is given them. Chances have been few and far between for them in their native country, but in this country they have found many opportunities and have taken advantage of them. Mr. McKenna, a young man, born in Ireland, without disadvantages, is an eloquent example of the indomitable Irish spirit, for by his own efforts he has raised himself to an enviable position and has served the county of his adoption well in public office.
William H. McKenna was born on July 24, 1869, in county Tyrone, Ireland, the son of Charles and Sarah (Malone) McKenna. His grandparents were farmers in Ireland and spent their lives there. His parents came to Clinton county, Iowa, in 1880 and settled in Center Grove, Washington township, and three years later moved removed to Clinton, where his father died January 7, 1907, and his mother now lives. Charles McKenna was popular among his fellows and was a strong adherent of the Democratic party. To the last he was faithful to the Catholic religion of his fathers.
     Mr. and Mrs Charles McKenna were the parents of eight children: Katherine, who married Bryan Manny, a farmer living in Cuyahoga county, Ohio; William H., James, a motorman in Clinton; Hannah, who married John Doherty, who is operating a typewrite agency in Chicago; Anna, who was trained as a nurse at Mercy Hospital, at Davenport, and married J.L. Tracy, a switchman for the Northwestern railroad in Clinton; Margie, who married James Dillon, and died in December, 1905; Edward, and electrician in Chicago; and John C., who is connected with his brother-in-law, Mr. Doherty, in the typewriter agency. The sons are all Democrats.
     William H. McKenna attended the Christian Brothers school at Omagh, county Tyrone, Ireland, and the common schools of Clinton county and Clinton. When about fifteen he began working in W.J. Young's saw mill, receiving sixty cents per day at first. He continued in the sawmill for five years, then worked for the grocery firm of Hayes & Murphy until March 1898. In that month Mr. McKenna, stirred with the spirit of patriotism towards his adopted country, enlisted in Company L, Forty-ninth Regiment Iowa Volunteers, and served through the Spanish-American war. His regiment was sent to Cuba in December, 1898, and remained on patrol and guard duty there until may 13, 1899. This regiment was under the command of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee and Colonel Dowes. Mr. McKenna was detailed as commissary clerk and served in that capacity throughout the greater portion of his enlistment.
     On his return from the war Mr. McKenna re-entered the employ of Hayes & Murphy, but after two years went into the grocery business in partnership with P.H. McCarthy, under the firm name of McCarthy & Mckenna. In 1908 he sold his interest to Mr. McCarthy's son. The Democratic party nominated Mr. McKenna for the office of recorder of Clinton county in 1906; he was successful in the election and has since that time administered the duties of the position in a conscientious and impartial manner. He has won the respect of the public for his efficiency and has added many to his already large list of friends. He is a member of the Catholic church.
on June 8, 1899, Mr. McKenna was married to Edith M. Sill, the daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Blessing) Sill, born at Lisbon, Iowa, June 8, 1874. Her father was a merchant at Lisbon, and died when Edith was three years old; her mother lives on Camanche avenue in Clinton. To this marriage three children have been born, Marion Elinor, July 10, 1900; Margie Elizabeth, December 17, 1905; Mary Edith, March 11, 1907. They are very bright and interesting little girls.
     Mr. McKenna stands high in the regard of the people of his county, and has won an enviable success for a young man whose early circumstances were less than ordinarily favorable, but which, thanks to his ability, did not hold him down.


"History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.

Surnames: Grace, Fawcett, Law, Morgan, Hannay.

      The list of the affluent citizens of Davenport contains the name of Francis
C. Grace, one of the representative and honored men of Scott county, for his
record as a soldier, a dentist and a business man has been so honorable that
he has gained the confidence and good will of all with whom he has been
brought into contact. He was born near Scio in Harrison county, Ohio, August
5, 1844, a son of George and Nancy (Fawcett) Grace. The Grace family was
very prominent in Ireland for many generations and the first of its members
came to America in 1700. Francis Grace, the grandfather of Francis C. Grace,
came to the United States in 1823, in the hope of bettering his financial
condition and died in this country about 1836. He had married Jane Law and
they became the parents of seven children, who established their homes in
different parts of this country.
      George Grace, the son of Francis Grace and the father of our subject, was
born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and was a lad of nine years when he
accompanied his parents on their journey to America. He was engaged in
farming in Ohio and in 1856 came to Scott county, Iowa, where he continued
to follow that occupation and where his death occurred. By his marriage to
Nancy Fawcett there were born eight children who are engaged in various
pursuits in different parts of the country.
      Francis c. Grace, who was the second of the children born to his parents,
attended school a short time in Ohio and after the family came to Scott
county, Iowa, he continued his studies in the public schools until he was
about eighteen years of age. At the same time, however, he assisted his
father in operating the farm, until 1862, when he enlisted in the Twentieth
Iowa Volunteer Infantry, later with the Army of the Southwest. He was
discharged at St. Louis in February, 1863, but the following May re-enlisted
in the Forty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, which was assigned to the Army
of the Tennessee. He remained at the front until honorably discharged from
the service in October, 1864, as corporal.
      Mr. Grace then returned to Scott county and resumed farm work. Feeling the
need of a better education, he accordingly entered Cornell College at Mount
Vernon, Iowa, and on leaving that institution returned to Davenport, where
he took up the study of dentistry. He practiced here and later in Chicago,
in both cities enjoying a large patronage which was a visible evidence of
his skill and success. Ill health, however, due to exposure while he was in
the army, compelled him to relinquish his profession in 1880 and in 1882 he
went to Daytona, Florida, to recuperate and there spent the next eight
years. At the end of that period he returned to Davenport, where he ha since
resided. Although he did not again engage in the practice of dentistry, he
was not idle. For a number of years he was engaged in the publishing
business, being associated with Egbert, Fiddler & Chambers for eighteen
years, but now he gives his time entirely to superintending his large lumber
interests in different parts of the country, for with keen business sagacity
he realized the opportunities for profitable investment offered by the
lumber market, and availing himself of them, it has been proven that his
judgment was not at fault, for he is now enjoying an income that places him
among the wealthy men of Davenport.
      In Davenport, May 17, 1871, Mr. Grace wedded Miss Louisa F. Woodward, a
daughter of B. B. and Elizabeth (Morgan) Woodward. A son and a daughter have
been born to them: George B., who married Miss Helen L. Hannay, and has
three children, Elizabeth, Nancy and William H.; and Nancy Grace, at home
with her parents.
      Mr. Grace has never sought to figure in public life, possessing a nature of
quiet refinement rather than one that seeks to be constantly before the
people. However, he has always been a good citizen as he was a loyal and
patriotic soldier, the memories of the days upon the battlefields being
revived frequently in the meetings of his fellow members of the Grand Army
post at Davenport, of which he was commander several times.

Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann


History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

William Baird, well-known throughout southwestern Dubuque county, was born May 26, 1841, and is a son of William Baird, for whom he was named. The elder Baird was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in the year 1800. He emigrated to Canada in 1828, and two years later went to Philadelphia, where for a period of thirty years he was engaged in cotton manufacturing. Owing to the financial panic of 1857 he was compelled to give up that line of endeavor, and that year came to Dubuque county, Iowa, and bought a farm of 160 acres in section 30, White Water township. He was a man of superior intelligence and strong character. For fifty years he was a member of the United Presbyterian church, and he was one of the primer movers in the establishment of a church of that denomination in Cascade. He died in 1883. While in Philadelphia, on October 24, 1832, he married Jane Buchanan, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, who died in 1882 at the age of seventy-six years. Their children were: Ann Jane, born September 4, 1833, died June 29, 1834; James, born November 3, 1834, noted for his great interest in the Masonic fraternity, having been secretary of the local lodge thirteen years, served during the Civil war as a member of Company I, Twenty-first Iowa Volunteer Infantry, died at Freeport, Illinois, in 1904; Margaret, born on Christmas day, 1836, died November 4, 1839; William, the subject of this sketch; Robert, born January 6, 1843, died October 2, same year; Mary Ann, born April 3, 1849, died November 21, 1853; Margaret (2), born October 12, 1844, now living with her brother, William; Robert, born March 6, 1851, died February 2, the following year. William Baird, the one whose name heads this sketch, has never married, but resides with his sister, Margaret. He has always followed farming and stock raising as an occupation, but in 1909 moved into the village of Cascade, where he and his sister have since lived retired from the more active duties and cares of life. Fifteen years ago, when the old United Presbyterian church at Cascade was reorganized as a Presbyterian church, Mr. Baird was one of its chief supporters. He is a Republican and for twenty-seven years served as secretary of the independent school district of East Cascade, and since the introduction of the Australian ballot system in this country has been clerk of election.


The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.

Bernard M'Nally, farmer Section 6; P.O. Miles, born Co. Tyrone; he emigrated to New Brunswick in 1841; he went to Boston in the following winter; he enlisted in U.S. Services in 1842; he was attached to a company of artillery, which was sent to the state of Maine; the company while there was under the command of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnson; on the annexation of Texas to the Union, he was ordered to Corpus Christi and to the Rio Grande in 1846; he served during the Mexican War; was at the battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma; was also at the battle of Monterey, under Gen. Worth; was discharged at the expiration of his term of service, July 15, 1847; he remained however, with the army till the close of the war.  He was then employed to drive government teams from Monterey to California, engaged in mining; in 1851 he returned from California; came to Jackson county and purchased the farm which he now owns. He was married January 1, 1852, to Laura Sutton, daughter of John Sutton, who was born in England in 1804, and came to Jackson county in 1844 and settled where he now lives; Mr and Mrs McNally have 6 children- George, Ellen, William, Edna, Frank and Lizzie. Mr. McNally's farm contains 210 acres.


The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.

Alexander Reed, farmer, Sec. 5; P.O. Bellevue; born in Ireland, Tyrone Co., in 1804; came to America in 1826 with a brother, Thomas; parents are dead. Landed in new York; was there a few days, and then went to Philadelphia; stayed there about ten days, and from there he went to Norfolk, Va., and remained there one week; from there he went to City Point, Va., and was there a day or two; from there to Warrenton, in the same State,and from there to Milton, N.C., where he got employment as an overseer of a plantation, and remained on that plantation three or four years; was in the gold mines about one year; also run a distillery for a time, and was in employment variously, as an overseer, etc. in the South for about ten years, at the end of which time he came North, to Jo Daviess Co., Ill.; went into the lead mines in Dubuque in April, 1833; was in that line of business a few months, and then came into what was then called Michigan Territory, afterward changed to Wisconsin, and then to Iowa  Territory; came to his present home in 1833. Mr. Reed was the earliest settler in Jackson Co., and the man to turn the first furrow of land in the county with a plow. His first neighbor was a man by the name of Shipton, who afterward shot a man by the name of Faber, with whom he had quarreled about a claim; it was some time after that before any white men came into the county. When Mr. Reed came, there was nothing but Indians and deer; during the first fall and winter that Mr. Reed lived here, he killed seventy-five deer; the village of Keokuk, named for chief Keokuk, was then standing upon what is not the land and property of Mr. Reed; he saw chief Keokuk; the latter passed Mr. Reed twice; also saw Black Hawk in Galena. Mr. Reed was also in Jackson Co. two years before he found a wife, and then went to Galena to be married. His wife's father lived in Jackson Co for a little time before they were married; the hymenal knot was tied by the Rev. Mr. Kent, in 1835. his wife's maiden name was Amelia G. Dyas; thy have had three children, only one of whom is now living, named Samuel D., living in Washington township; he is married and has four children living and has lost one; he and his family have their home with his father. Of the two children Mr. Reed has lost, one was named Margaret, and the other Katherine; Mr and Mrs Reed have also raised several other children not their own, some of whom are now married and have good homes. Mr Reed has been Supervisor in his town for five years; is now a Justice of the Peace; has been township Assessor, and has held all of the township offices but that of Clerk. In politics he is a Democrat. Owns 480 acres, 320 of which is in Washington Township, and 160 in Bellevue township; land well watered and good timber upon it.


History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

     James Tate, farming, P.O. Minden, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, on the 13th of July, 1814; his father, John Tate, born in the City of Glasgow, Scotland, in 1758, and removing to Ireland in 1770, was married to Ann Erwin in 1794. In 1817, our subject, then a boy of three summers, came to Canada with his parents, who settled in Newcastle District, Clark township. His early education was much neglected. The school was very poor, "the master having more whip than brains." But the active mind of youth drew a wonderful culture from nature itself, and a seemingly immaculate inspiration was drawn even from that old spelling book in the log-cabin school house. Mr. Tate remained with his parents till his father's death in 1834, and spending two more years on the farm, then entered the army, under Capt. Wilmot, to put down Papineau and Mackenzie's rebellion. He remained there but three months, when he took his leave, and moving to Haldimand County, was engaged in the lumber business for the next four years. On the 18th of March, 1840, James Tate was married to Ann Evans. She was the daughter of Edward and R.J. Evans, and niece to the founder of Evansville, Ind., on the Ohio, and was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, May 17, 1815. Mr. Tate prosecuted his industries as lumberman and farmer in Canada until 1856, when he removed with his wife and six children to the United States and settled in Winneshiek County, Iowa, where he again resumed his occupation as a farmer. There he labored on judiciously in his little home as fortune looked with favor upon them. Two more children were added to the number as time went on, and the little home improved. The clay fields gave forth their reward for his diligent labor. He met with no reverse of fortune until about 1869, when his barn was burned. On the 23d of March, 1871, his wife died, after a long sickness, and broke the union of a happy home. But heavy as was the blow, it did not break that spirit which had a hope in heaven. The ties of friendship and love which had been woven in the home held together. At Postville, December  15, 1872, Mr. Tate was married to his second wife-Miss B. Cooper. She is the daughter of John and Mary Cooper, and was born in Canada on the 23d of December, 1847. The following winter, Mr. Tate met with a heavy loss by the burning of his house and some considerable household goods. This was repaired as best it could be. He remained there until the spring of 1874, when he removed with his wife and family to his present home, in Pottawattamie County, having obtained a location the previous year. His buildings were the first erected in the fertile valley of the Middle Silver, which winds its way through happy fields toward the southwest.


History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

     John McDonald, flour and feed, Oakland, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in April, 1834; his father, William McDonald, was born in the same place as subject, as was a miller by occupation; he emigrated to the United States and settled in Illinois, Warren County, in 1855, and died the following year of typhoid fever. Subject's mother was born in Ireland; came to this country with her husband and died at Oxford, Jones Co., Iowa. Subject's brother, Samuel, and his sister, Martha, came to the United States with their parents, the oldest brother preceded them to this county. Mr. McDonald received a fair common school education, and worked with his father at milling, until he married, March 8, 1852, Bessie McElhinney, born in Ireland November 20, 1833. She was a daughter of William and Bessie (Thompson) McElhinney, natives of Ireland, where the father died. After his marriage, Mr. McDonald, came to this country and located in Warren County, Ill., June 3, 1853. He ran a grist mill at Monmouth, Ill., for four years for Silas Umpstead; then moved to Keithsburg and conducted a mill for Joseph Ogden, for seven years; then moved to Keithsburg and conducted a mill for Joseph Ogden, for seven years; thence to North Henderson, Mercer County, for a year; then, after a year spent in Millersburg, he purchased a mill in Bureau County, Ill.,; operated it for two years, sold it and came to Jones County, Iowa, where he rented a mill for a year. Upon leaving Jones County, Mr. McDonald moved to Union Township, Shelby County, where he bought a farm near the present site of Defiance; there he engaged in farming for seven years, when he and his wife began traveling for the latter's health in California and Washington Territory; in the latter Territory she died of consumption September 4, 1878. In 1879, Mr. McDonald located in Neola, and established the "Exchange Mills Flour and Feed Store," which his son now conducts. Mr. McDonald sold his property in Neola; established a similar business in Marne, Cass Co., Iowa; conducted it six months; sold out and came to Oakland in December, 1880, where he has since conducted a flour and feed business. Our subject has, by his first wife, four children-Jennie, Ella, William and Thomas Thompson. April 1, 1880, at Neola, Iowa, Mr. McDonald married Margaret Gallup, born in Harrison County, Iowa, in 1861, daughter of Jasper and Sarah (Wood) Gallup, early settlers of Pottawattamie County-he a native of New York State, and she of Ohio. This second union has been blessed with one child-Frederick Samuel. Mr. McDonald is a Mason and a member of the V.A.S.; he is a member of the City Council and a Republican.


History of Des Moines County, Iowa, ed. by Augustine M. Antrobus. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915.

     In his long and active career the Hon. Edward McKitterick was not only interested in a number of important business enterprises of Burlington but in the later years of his life he successfully served as deputy auditor of the treasury department in Washington, acting in that capacity until death called him September 30, 1903, in his seventy-third year. Mr. McKitterick was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1830, his parents being John and Maria (Jones) McKitterick. The father was an agriculturist by occupation and his son Edward was reared upon the home farm. He received a liberal education in his native country but in 1844, at the age of fourteen years, came to the United States to join relatives who resided in Chillicothe Ohio. Shortly after his arrival in that city he accepted a position as clerk in a china store, which he held for some time.
     In 1854 Mr. McKitterick removed to Burlington, Iowa, and opened the first porcelain establishment in this city, having for a a partner a Mr. Miller. The firm thus continued until 1867, when J.C. McKell acquired Mr. Miller's interest. A few years later, however, Mr. McKell retired. Mr. McKetterick was for many years one of the successful merchants of Burlington and enjoyed and extensive patronage. He had various other interests and was conceded to be one of the foremost business men of Burlington. He was one of the founders of the Merchants National Bank, of which he served for about seven years as cashier. He also acted at one time as receiver for the Burlington & Southwestern Railway and showed great business judgment in settling the affairs of this company. He was one of the incorporators and for many years an officer the German-American Life Insurance Company of Burlington and had other financial and commercial interests. His advice was frequently sought by people in many walks of life and was often found to be of great value to those who faced a difficult business situation. In 1896 Mr. McKitterick accepted the appointment of deputy auditor of the treasury department at Washington, D.C., and acted in that capacity until his death. He was considered a most able official and in the discharge of his duties earned the highest commendation from the officers of that department.
     Mr. McKitterick was twice married, his first union being with Mary Creighton Massie, whom he wedded August 27, 1850. Their children were William, Alice, John, Nathaniel, Maria, Mary and Belinda. After the death of his first wife Mr. McKitterick married her sister, Miss Sarah B. Massie, and to them were born three sons; Edward, Leonard and Thomas. Mrs. McKitterick survives her husband and makes her home at No. 812 North Seventh street, Burlington. She has a large circle of friends who greatly admire her as a woman of culture and refinement.
     It seems almost superfluous to mention that the activities of Mr. McKitterick had an important bearing upon the development of Burlington and affected not only the business growth of the city but the political, social and religious relations of its people. His early political allegiance was given to the  democratic party and later, owing to a change of his views on the tariff question, he became a republican and loyally adhered to that party until his demise. He was well known in Masonic circles as an exemplary member of Des Moines Lodge, No. 1, A.F. & A.M. The public-school system found in him a stalwart champion and earnest friend. He was president of the school board for three terms or six years and was the main factor in securing the first high school of Burlington and laid the cornerstone at the time of the erection of the old high school on West Hill. He was looked upon as the best friend of the public-school system of Burlington and, while he held high ideals in that connection, he used the most practical methods to secure their adoption. An earnest Christian man, he held membership in the First Methodist Episcopal church for many years, served on its official board and for an extended period was superintendent of its Sunday school. To know him was to esteem and honor him. His life long counted as a factor for good in the community in which he lived, and the beauty and nobility of his character causes his memory to remain an inspiration and a benediction to those with whom he came in contact.


Gue, B.F. Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa. Des Moines: Conaway & Shaw Publishers, 1899.

Patrick, James Perkins, a veteran of the late war, is one of the leading wholesale merchants of Des Moines. He is of Irish descent, his ancestors having come from County Tyrone in Ireland during the seventeenth century, settling at Quinton, N. J. His great-grandfather, Samuel Patrick, with his brother, Abner, served as privates in the revolution under Capt. William Smith, of Salem. Samuel was wounded in an action occurring at Quinton Bridge, March 18, 1778, and both were taken prisoner and lay for two years on board a British prison ship in New York harbor. Mr. Patrick's father, Samuel Patrick, a farmer, was born near Youngstown, Ohio, in 1809, his parents having moved there from New Jersey the previous year. Here he grew to manhood, and was married in 1833 to Amanda Brown, whose parents were southerners, but who believed slavery to be wrong. Her father, in 1821, disposed of his property in New Orleans, and came with his family to Cincinnati, where he freed all his slaves, and then settled in Bellefontaine, Ohio, where he remained until his death in 1838. He served in the war of 1812. Mr. Patrick's father died in 1878 in Cass county, Mich.


Biographical History and Portrait Gallery of Scott County...1895; American Biographical Publishing Co.

     Thomas M'Cullough was born in County Tyrone in the northern part of Ireland in 1826. He learned the tailor's trade in Glasgow, Scotland, and at the age of twenty-one came to America and settled first in New York City, where he found employment in the tailoring establishment of P.L. Cone of that city. In 1857 Mr. Cone came to Davenport, Iowa, and bought Mr. McCullough with him. He remained in the employ of Mr. Cone in the capacity of cutter until 1868, when he began business on his own responsibility at 148 West Third Street, shortly after which he removed to 224 Brady Street and finally settled at 318 Brady Street, where he remained in business until his death in 1880 at the age of fifty-four years.
     Mr. McCullough was a man possessed of rare business and mechanical ability. He was an  ardent worker in promoting Irish immigration, in assisting his countrymen to come to the United States, in securing for them employment, and doing similar acts of kindness.
     He was always an active member of the Roman Catholic Church and believing the Democratic party to be more liberal in its views than rival political organizations he always cast his vote accordingly.
     in 1854 he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth H., daughter of Jerome and Mary H. Dorney, natives of Ireland. Two children were born of this union: William J. and Francis J. McCullough. Mrs. Thomas (Dorney) McCullough was a woman of whom special mention should be made in a work of this character. She was a woman endowed with remarkable energy and under all circumstances had the courage of her convictions. She was associated with Mrs. Dr. Peck and other ladies on the Davenport library board, and was also one of the nine trustees selected by Mrs. Clarissa Cook for the Davenport library, being the only lady selected in fifteen years. She held the office of treasurer of the Davenport library Association for a number of years, and devoted a great part of her life to Catholic Church work. She organized the first Catholic Union Society in Davenport and was its first president, and also represented that society on the board of the associated charities of the city.


The History of Linn County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     Smyth, William Hon. (deceased; the subject of this sketch was born Jan. 24, 1824, in County Tyrone, Ireland; when 14 years old his parents emigrated to Bradford Co,, Penn and for the next six years they lived here and in Huntingdon Co.; in 1845 William settled in Franklin Tp., but soon after went to Iowa City, where he studied law under Judge James P. Carleton for two years; June 1, 1847, William was admitted to the bar at the first term of court ever held in Benton Co., the committee and candidate sitting on a log near Thomas Ways' cabin two miles from Vinton, while they examined him; he began practice at Marion, where he resided until his death. Mr. Smyth was married to Mary Brier at La Fayette, Ind., Nov. 12, 1850, by whom he had six children-William, Jay J., Robert, David B., John, Stephen, and Louisa, the latter deceased. In 1848, Mr. Smyth became Prosecuting Attorney of Linn Co., which he held till 1853, when he became Judge of the Fourth District; he resigned in 1857 and resumed the practice of law; in 1858, he was made one of the commission that prepared the code of 1860; in 1861, he was chosen as one of four to assist the Governor in the management and direction of the war and defense bonds of the State. He entered the army in the Fall of 1862, as Colonel of the 31st Infantry, and served with distinction and honor till Dec. 15, 1864, when he resigned and resumed his law practice till he was elected to Congress ion the Fall of 1868. He died at his home in Marion, Sept. 30, 1870. Of his services in Congress, when the motion was made by Mr. Allison that the House adopt the usual badge of mourning, Mr. Julian, of Indiana, said: "Mr. Speaker, I only desire to add a word to what has been so well said by the colleagues of the deceased. I know little personally of the facts which make up his biography, and which are so honorable to his career as a man and a public character, but it affords me a real pleasure to be able to bear witness to his uncommon personal worth and integrity. From the beginning of the present Congress to the close of the last session, my relations with him were most intimate and friendly. He served with me on the same committee and during his brief service here was called upon to face some of the chief temptations which make public life a constant moral danger. His integrity was never found wanting, and he discharged all his duties with a fidelity and conscientiousness which did him the highest honor. He proved by acts, speaking louder than any words, how possible it is for an honest man to be a politician, and thus to rebuke the too prevalent popular skepticism in the virtue of public men. The example of Mr. Smyth is worthy of all honor, and does more than all else to reconcile his family and friends to his untimely death in the midst of a most honorable and useful career." The death of Mrs. Smyth occurred Jan. 29, 1861.


The History of Linn County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     Johnson, Wm. O., farmer, Sec. 15; P.O. Cedar Rapids; owns 182 acres of land, probable value $7,280; Mr. Johnson was born March 15, 1833, in Tyrone Co, Ireland, where when old enough he attended school and helped his father to work the farm between times; in 1850 he came to the United States, arriving in New York City on the Fourth of July of that year, and immediately went west to Coshocton Co, Ohio, where he lived for four years, and then came to Iowa, and settled in the city of Cedar Rapids, where he lived until March, 1875, when he moved to Clinton Tp., where he now resides; when in Ohio, he learned the trade of coopering and did journey work in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for a short time, when he established himself in business at his trade, which he conducted for about four years; in the Spring of 1862, he sold his interest in the cooper shop and afterward superintended the concern for the parties who succeeded him. He was married Oct. 23, 1861, to Susie J., daughter of William H. and Nancy Parker, of Decatur Co,Ind.; she was born April 7, 1844; they have four children-John E., born March 13, 1865; William P., born July 28, 1868; David O., born Aug. 31, 1870. Mr. Johnson is a Republican in politics and was Township Trustee in one term, Road Supervisor one term and was elected in 1877, to the office of Township Assessor, but declined to serve. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and Mrs. Johnson is a member of the same denomination.


The History of Linn County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     Smyth, James, farmer, Sec. 7; P.O. Mt Vernon; born in Tyrone Co, Ireland, in 1812; came to this county in 1842; owns 288 acres of land. Has served as School Director. He married Elizabeth Gormly in 1849; she was born in Ireland; has five children-Samuel J., Jeremiah G., Mathew A., Maggie A. and Mattie.


The History of Linn County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     Smyth, R., farmer, Sec. 8; P.O. Mt Vernon; born in Tyrone Co, Ireland, in 1814; he left Ireland April 24, 1834, and came to America settling in Pennsylvania, where he remained until his removal to this county in 1840; owns 390 acres of land. Has held the offices of Postmaster, Town Clerk, Town Trustee, and was elected to the Territorial Legislature of 1843-4; he was also elected to the first General Assembly of the State of Iowa in 1846 and in 1867 was elected to the State Senate and served four years; he was appointed a Paymaster in the U.S. service until July, 1866. He married Miss Margaret Moffit in 1846; she was born in Ireland; has four children-Lizzie, Anna, William and John; lost four.


Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Webster and Hamilton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888.

     William Wesley Boak.- This gentleman was among the very early comers into Hamilton County, having settled upon the farm where he now resides in 1855. He was of Irish descent. His grandfather, John Boak, resided in County Tyrone, Ireland.
    The subject of this notice has now in his possession a venerable account book, which from the various dates therein set down, shows it to have been used by his ancestor as early as 1767. It is a very interesting relic, as showing the quaintness of hand-writing in those days, and very accurate business habits on the part of the owner.
    John Boak was the father of five children- four sons and one daughter. The third son, William was the father of our pioneer. William emigrated to America at the early age of seventeen. He served an apprenticeship for the purpose of learning the business of cabinet-making at Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, with William Macoughtry, as appears from a certificate given to William at the end of his time. Here is a copy of the certificate, which is written in a very beautiful hand, and comes down in fine preservation except some of the water stains so often seen in ancient manuscripts.
    "Nov. 20th, 1802. This is to certify that William Boak, (the bearer) my former apprentice, served me faithfully and behaved himself with punctuality as an honest and sober citizen, during his apprenticeship in Berkeley County, Virginia, till this present date, as given under my hand and seal this day, October 5, 1807.

    In 1807, however, soon after his indentures expired, he made a visit to his old Irish home, which was a memorable one in the annals of the Boak family, for it was the attraction of his sweetheart which drew him thither over the wild wastes of stormy seas. Her name was Nancy Latta. They were married during the same year and returned to Darkesville, Virginia, where he wrought at his trade until the year 1836. Mr. Boak is in possession of some very interesting documents bearing upon the history of the family, in addition to the old account book above mentioned. One of these is a passport which his father procured upon returning to his birthplace. It was granted by James Madison, then Secretary of State, during the presidency of Thomas Jefferson. It bears the date of October 9, 1807, with the seal of the department. The word [gratis] printed in brackets, is under the seal, showing that in those days the Government had not progressed to the point of charging $5 for these documents as it does in these latter degenerate days. The document bears various old water marks and is in excellent preservation. The other relics are two certificates, to be used no doubt as letters of withdrawal from the church in Ireland and commendation to any similar organization in their new home. The pastor's name was John Holmes, Presbyterian minister, and he writes, April 18, 1801, as follows:
    "I hereby certify that the bearer, Will Boak, has hitherto been a regular member of this congregation under my charge, and has supported a fair moral character."
    The other certificate or letter is by the same pastor, to the same effect, but includes the young wife. It bears the date of August 1, 1808. By singular error the writer gives the name "Agnes" when it should have been "Nancy."
    William and Nancy Boak having returned to Berkley County, resided there until 1836. To them were born eight children-two boys and six girls-two of the latter dying in infancy. W.W. Boak, the eldest son, was born August 21, 1825. There was no free schools in that State at that time. Parents in a neighborhood clubbed together and hired a teacher for such length of time as they chose, paying in proportion to the number of their children. William Wesley attended those schools until the was eleven years old, when his school days ended. In September, 1836, the family emigrated West and arrived at Georgetown, Vermillion County, Illinois. They were on the road six weeks, the transportation being by wagons and teams. They arrived at their journey's end in October, and remained until the ensuing spring.
    Mr. Boak mentions an interesting incident of his winter's sojourn, that the horses were wintered upon corn for which his father paid 5 cents per bushel! The Ohio River was crossed at Wheeling on a bridge; the Illinois at Peoria, on a boat propelled by oars; and the Mississippi, afterward at Burlington, also on a row-boat. While the family were at Georgetown, Mr. Boak states that his parents let him go out with a team to help a farmer husk corn. This service brought them sixteen bushels of corn per day, the equivalent of 80 cents, - somewhat different from the wages prevalent in Iowa in these hard times. But in the spring of 1837 William Boak again started west, for the Territory of Wisconsin. People who studed geography in those days will remember that Wisconsin contained a wide scope of country, and that the word "Iowa" had not yet appeared upon any of our maps. The family finally arrived near the city of Mt. Pleasant, Henry County, in April, having been on the road about a month. Mt. Pleasant, now a city of perhaps 5500 inhabitants and the "Athens of Iowa" was then a rude hamlet of seven or eight houses and these were of very rude construction. At this time Alvin and Presley Saunders were engaged in general merchandising at Mt. Pleasant. The building was a split clapboarded (shakes) shanty, with a chimney built of sticks and clay. Their stock would be deemed a very small one in these days and could no doubt be moved in a couple of wagon boxes. This was the start in business life of Hon. Alvin Saunders, afterwards State Senator in Iowa, and later Governor and United States Senator of Nebraska. That section of country was then but newly opened to settlement. William Boak bought a quarter section of land three miles from the present city at the customary rate of the United States Land office, $1.25 per acre. He resided there until his death, March 27, 1861. William Boak was a substantial citizen of Henry County. He and his family went through the usual hardships attendant upon settlement in a new country; but was fairly successful in his life's work, winning the esteem and confidence of the community and laying up a fair competence. Mr. Wesley Boak was brought up on the farm, remaining with the family until after his majority in consequence of the impaired health of his father. He then freely gave to the old folks and the other children the hard work and earnest efforts of the several of the very best years of his life, but without complaints or misgivings on his own part. On the 4th of October, 1849, Mr. Boak was united in marriage with Miss Samantha K., eldest daughter of Jacob W. Payne, who afterward became a well-known resident of our county. In 1852 he crossed the plains and the Rocky Mountains with an ox team, to engage in business in California, requiring six months to make the trip. After some four months of prospecting and working in the mines at the old Kanacka bar on the American River, he went up to the Redwood Mountains, west of San Jose, where he remained two years in the lumber business. He was moderately successful  in his work, gaining quite as much of value to him in after life in the way of experience as in actual results. But in the spring of 1854 he returned to Iowa, coming home by the way of the Isthmus of Panama and thence by sea to New York City. Upon this ocean voyage he suffered in an extraordinary degree from sea sickness, and came near losing his life. Once more in Iowa, he soon determined to find a new home. His father in law, the last Jacob W. Payne ,had settled on his well-known farm four miles north of Webster City in 1854, and had selected for Mr. Boak the then wild land which constitutes his present finely improved farm. Finding this land to his liking he entered it at the United States Land office at Des Moines. This entry was in the fall of 1854, the next spring Mr. Boak removed here with his family and has ever since been a citizen of Hamilton County. Since those early days, when Webster City was known as New Castle, Mr. W.W. Boak has been one of the most useful, prominent and well-known citizens of the county. He has resided continuously upon his farm, which through his own hard labor and skillful management has become one of the best in the county. Mr. Boak began his career in our county in very reduced circumstances, so far as money was concerned, and none of our early settlers worked harder or went through more privations. In the fall of 1856 an early frost left the corn crop in poor condition. The next winter he was compelled to purchase some to feed his team. For this he paid $1.50 per bushel, giving his note drawing up ten per cent interest, having little idea how it was to be paid. The pay day came along rather quickly, as pay days are apt to do and he began to look up some way out of debt. The only means that presented itself was to cut and haul wood to Webster City. But at that time the very best wood was only bringing $1 per cord. He was a stalwart chopper, and was able singlehanded and alone to cut and deliver two cords a day. The amount was not so large but that it was whittled down by the time it was due. Many years ago some man who lived in town made a public declaration that our farmers were "niggardly." Hearing of this, Mr. Boak "took it up." "I rather guess," said he, "that this is true. I am quite 'niggardly' myself. That means we feel compelled to save closely everything that comes into our hands, and get the best price we can for our produce, this is simply fair dealing after all, and it is what gets a man out of debt and keeps him out. What man in any other profession acts upon any higher standard? I believe that in appeals for real charity you will find farmers of Hamilton County as generous according to their means as any class of men anywhere, but we must be allowed to act upon our own ideas of right like anybody else." The occasion of the almost total failure of the corn crop in 1858, found him with his cribs full, from the two previous seasons. He could have sold it in a lump at the very highest future, cash in hand; but he let it go to the poor settlers up north, in small quantities and on their own individual credit. He refused to sell it to any man to feed animals, for it was all needed for bread by families who were very poor, and there were oats and hay sufficient to fairly supply the animals. In but one instance did he fail to be paid, though some of the buyers were two or three years in discharging the obligation. In every instance each man was given all the time he needed and no one was crowded. While still a young man in Henry County, and away far from home, he needed $100 for twenty-four or forty-eight hours only, to enter a piece of land. A banker in Fairfield, Iowa, who was not acquainted with him loaned him the sum, on his word alone. The very next day he paid it after a ride of fifty miles, and the banker would take nothing for the use of the money, though that was in the old days of forty per cent. The commendation his promptness won for him made an impression on him which he retains to this day. If his word had been given he would do the same over again to-day or to-morrow. Mr. Boak is a man of strongly marked characteristics, and of rather conservative tendencies. Whatever his hands have found to do he has always aimed to do well. A laboring man throughout his life he is more strongly inclined to succeed by the reliable old methods that he has learned in younger days than to "hands out" after a few innovations. Still, in his farming operations he has kept fully abreast of the time, adopting improved methods as they have commended themselves to his judgment. He has been for many years engaged in raising graded short-horns and draft horses with an admirable degree of success, and his farm, a most beautiful one by the way, is one which always shows the evidences of a thrifty, tasteful management. One of the very early settlers of the country, he "grew up with the country" by habits of untiring industry, and through economy, succeeding well in his work, and coming early to be regarded as a man of substance and position in the community. He has never sought a public office though he has at times filled most of those in his township, and was for eight years a member, and a part of this time chairman of the Board of County Supervisors. On more than one occasion he might have gone to the State Legislature, but he invariably refused to allow his name to go before the Convention. He possessed peculiar qualifications for a legislator in his intimate knowledge of the laws affecting townships and counties, but he was unwilling to accept its responsibilities. In his social relations he was an abiding, steadfast friend, though his fixed opinions and conservative notions made him rather chary of bestowing his confidence. But with many of our best citizens he has all these thirty-three years sustained relations of devoted friendship unbroken by a single moment of doubt or distrust. His word to them is as good as gold. While men have differed from him, while he has given and received his share of "hard knocks" which ever attend upon pioneer life, and varying neighborhood and county interests, no man has ever breathed a word against his integrity or purity of life. It is seldom that any man out of prominent public life has so stood out as one of the pillars of society. His opinions have always influenced many men. He lives in a beautiful home on the banks of our little river, blessed with a fair competence, the fruits of the industry and economy of himself and his devoted wife. He is a great reader, a good talker, and there are few men more capable of making a visitor's hours pass more pleasantly.
    His time has come to relinquish the severer toil of other days, and to "crown a life of labor with an age of ease," though he is still active in the management of his farm. Two years ago impaired health of himself and wife compelled them to seek a change of climate. They therefore visited portions of California, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado. While in California they visited the locality where he was engaged in lumbering thirty-six years ago, readily finding the spot where he built his pine log-cabin in those far-off times. Of the four sons and six daughters born to Mr. and Mrs. Boak, two sons and four daughters are still living.


Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties
Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1894

     DICKSON BEATTY. In the annals of Dubuque County the name of Beatty stands
out in great prominence as belonging to a family whose members have been very closely identified with its highest interests since the very first days of its settlement.  Our subject is an influential pioneer and is President of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank in Cascade, besides having in his possession an estate comprising over seven hundred broad and well
cultivated acres. With his family he occupies a large frame residence, located one mile northwest of Cascade, which is one of the most imposing structures in the county and is furnished in a style indicating the refined taste and ample means of its inmates.
     Our subject is a native of Ireland, having been born in County Tyrone, December 17, 1832. His father, James Beatty, was also born in the above county, where the family were prominent and substantial residents.  The father was engaged in cultivating the soil of his native place and was numbered among the prosperous in his section.  Deciding to try his fortunes
in the New World, he set sail in June, 1844, and after a voyage of eight weeks and three days, landed on American soil. His destination being this state, he came hither immediately and entered three hundred and eighty acres of land from the Government. He was among the first to locate here, and erecting a small frame house on his property lived in that with his family for many years, in the meantime applying himself industriously to the task of cultivating his land. Indians roamed at will about the country, but Mr. Beatty made friends with them and thus avoided trouble. His death occurred very suddenly when seventy-one years of age, resulting from lung fever. He was a member of the Baptist Church and aided in the organization of the congregation in this township and contributed liberally of his means
toward its support. In politics he was first a Whig and later a Republican. The maiden name of our subject's mother was Agnes Dixon, She too was born in the Emerald Isle, and by her union with James Beatty became the mother of six sons and three daughters, bearing the respective names of Margaret, Sarah A,, Esther, James, Alexander, David, John, Benjamin and
Dickson.  Mrs. Beatty lived to be sixty-eight years old, and was a devoted member of the Baptist Church and active in all good works in her neighborhood. Her father was an Elder in that congregation and often was called upon to fill the pulpit.
     The original of this sketch came to America with his parents when a lad of thirteen, in the meantime having attended school in Ireland. He remained under the parental roof until attaining his majority, and proved of great assistance to his father in clearing and placing under cultivation their new farm in Dubuque County. Young Beatty was very fond of hunting and when out shooting deer he has often counted as many as fourteen in one drove. He made friends with the Indians, who on various occasions invited him to partake of the venison which they had cooked. Dickson Beatty began the struggle of his life on his own account when reaching his majority, and his father giving him a tract of forty acres, he
erected a frame house thereon and the same year was married to Miss Ann J. Barton, who was born in Ireland and came to America with her parents when four years of age. To our subject and his wife has been born a family of eleven children, of whom nine are living. They are named respectively, Henry, John, Maggie, James D., Lucilius S. (deceased), Eliza A., Sarah,
Mabel A., George W. and Fred C., and one died in infancy. Mr. Beatty although beginning in life with but forty acres of land, is now the proud possessor of seven hundred acres, which he devotes to mixed farming. He makes a specialty, however, of stock raising and dairying,
having on his place one hundred and fifty head of cattle, besides a number of fine draft horses.
     Our subject was interested in securing the location of the Cascade & Bellevue Railroad at this place and gave liberally of his means toward that enterprise. He is a man of great intelligence am force of character and has exerted a marked influence in the civil and political life of the county.  He was a Director in the Cascade Bank and President of the
Farmers' and Merchants' Bank in this city. Mr. Beatty is one of the largest landholders in this section and attributes his success to hard work and economy. He has ever taken a deep interest in the welfare of his community and has borne a prominent part in promoting its rise and progress.
         Our subject and his family are members of the Baptist Church and are people of consistent Christian character. In politics Mr. Beatty is a stanch Republican and he has held the office of School Director for a period of nine years and of President of the School Board six years. Our subject was one of the founders of the Cascade Co-operative Creamery and is
now Director and President of the same.

--Contributed by Becky Teubner


Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Union Counties...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

Robert Fife is a native of Ireland, born in County Tyrone, July 12, 1827, a son of Samuel and Mary A. Fife, with whom he remained till attaining the age of twenty years. He then bade farewell to his native land, and embarked on a sailing vessel at Londonderry, and after a voyage of six weeks and three days landed in Philadelphia. A week after his arrival he went to Mercer County, Pennsylvania, where he was variously employed, remaining there till 1874. He then went to Clinton County, Ohio, where he spent two years, and in March, 1876, he came to Ringgold County, and settled on his present farm, on section 31, Liberty Township, where he has 220 acres of choice land, the greater part of which is under fine cultivation. Since making his home in Liberty Township he has devoted his time to agricultural pursuits, and in connection with his general farming he is raising some good stock of a high grade. Mr Fife was married in 1856 to Miss Elizabeth Wallace, a native of Massachusetts, but at the time of her marriage living in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, to which county her parents removed when she was a child. To Mr. and Mrs. Fife have been born five children, of whom only three are living- Agnes, William M., and James P. Their daughter, Mary J., died at the age of fourteen years. Mr. Fife and his family are members of the United Presbyterian church, of which he has served as trustee. Mr. Fife is always interested in every enterprise which he deems of benefit to his county or township. He is one of the active and public-spirited men of this community, and a much-respected citizen.


Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Union Counties...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

     Joseph Robinson, one of the prosperous farmers of Washington Township, is a native of Ireland, born in County Tyrone, August 17, 1835, a son of Robert and Jane Robinson. When he was an infant his parents moved to America, and lived in Canada two years, then returned to Ireland, where he remained sixteen years. June 15, 1853, he sailed from Liverpool for America in the ship Fidelia, and landed in the city of New York, a penniless boy in a land of strangers. He obtained employment in a brass-finishing and gas-fitting establishment, where he worked a year and then went to Washington County, New York, where he was employed on a farm nine years. He then left New York and drifted to Ohio and thence in 1861 to Wisconsin. He lived in Dane County, near Madison, until the fall of 1864, when he moved to Ringgold County, Iowa, and in the spring of 1865 moved to the farm where he now lives, on section 13, Washington Township. He bought eighty acres of land, forty of which were under cultivation, and a small log cabin had been built. He has added to his first purchase from time to time until he now owns 840 acres. The most of his land is seeded to grass, as he makes a specialty of stock-raising, having at times large numbers of both cattle and hogs. He also has some fine horses and colts, the most of them being of the Norman breed. Mr. Robinson has made his property by his own industry and good management. He is an honorable, upright man, and in all his dealings with business men wins their respect and confidence. He was married in 1858 to Sarah Dunlap, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, but living in Washington County, New York, at the time of her marriage. They have six children- Hiram S., Charles H., John D., Minnie, Maggie, Elizabeth and Ida. The latter died at aged twelve years. In politics Mr. Robinson is a Republican, casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.


Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon Counties, Iowa. Chicago: W. S. Dunbar, 1889.

     WILLIAM EDWARDS is one of the representative men of Shelby Township; he came here in June, 1869. He was born in Cardiganshire, Wales, April 12, 1838; he is the son of E.J. and Ceynor (Phillips) Edwards; he was but eighteen months old when his parents came to America. They first settled in Jackson County, Ohio, and later in Gallia County, Ohio. William E., was reared a farmer and was educated in the common schools. In the great Rebellion, at the first call for three months' men, he enlisted at Rock Island, where he was living at the time, in the Fifty-sixth Illinois Infantry, Company C. He served his time, and in the fall of 1862, at the call for 300,000 more men, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Illinois, Company H, for three years; he took an active part in the siege of Vicksburg, and was in General Steele's expedition from Helena to Little Rock. He was honorably discharged in August, 1865, as First Lieutenant, having been a brave and gallant officer. He came to Mahaska County, Iowa, where, in company with a brother, he engaged in the mercantile business at Beacon. About three years later he sold his interest, and improved some land he owned in Shelby County; here he has since made his home. His farm lies about two and a half miles north of Shelby; he has a good house, an orchard, a grove, and a windmill; the grove contains six acres. He was married September 13, 1876, to Miss Mary Jane Cousins, born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and reared in Muscatine County, Iowa; she is a daughter of William and Margaret (Armstrong) Cousins. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards have two children- Hannah Myrtle, born June 20, 1877, and Mary Agnes, born November 10, 1882. Mr. Edwards is a Republican; he has served on the school board with credit to himself; he is a member of the Masonic order, Shelby Lodge. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. He has always taken an active interest in religious and educational affairs. He is kind and hospitable, and has made many friends in his western home.


Portrait and Biographical Album, Wapello County, Iowa, published by Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

     Hon. Gregg A. Madison, retired from an active business career, and passing the sunset of life in peace and quiet, in the enjoyment of a splendid competency, at Ottumwa, Iowa, was born in Juniata County, Pa., Feb. 22, 1818. The parents of our subject, Joseph and Agnes (Alzeo) Madison, were born on the Emerald Isle, and both natives of County Tyrone, whence they emigrated to the United States in childhood. They were married in this country, and became the parents of eleven children, of whom the subject of this notice is the youngest.
     Gregg Madison received but a limited education, as there were no free schools in the locality in which his parents resided, and the time passed in the school room hardly exceeded a year. He labored to assist in the maintenance of the family, and when seventeen years of age served an apprenticeship of three years to the wagon-making trade with Samuel Riddle, of Mifflin, Pa. While following his trade in Huntingdon County, Pa., he made the acquaintance of a German scholar, and a teacher in the seminary at Huntingdon. From this gentleman Mr. Madison received instruction in his studies, and made considerable progress. He subsequently studied law, and was admitted to the bar at Huntingdon in 1848. He now had a profession but an empty pocket, and not being able to secure clients, or rather to pay board and wait for them, he secured a job of rafting timber on the rivers for bridges for the Pennsylvania Central Railroad, which was then in process of construction. The company formed such a good opinion of our subject that when he had finished his contract, they hired him by the month, paying him $40, which they increased from year to year, and at the expiration of five years he was the recipient of the handsome salary of $3,500, and was presented by the company with $500 in cash besides.
     In 1856 Mr. Madison came to Iowa, arriving at Ottumwa on the first day of July. He had at that time about $10,000 in money besides some real estate, and at once erected the first circular steam sawmill in this part of the State, locating it in Davis County, near the Wapello County line, and operated it with signal success for about two years. Upon the breaking out of the late Civil War our subject raised a goodly number of men and accompanied them to Keokuk, where they were divided into two companies, and John M. Hedrick was made Captain of Company K, and Mr. Madison of Company D. The latter was Captain prior to the division of the men, but as he had about 170 men after the division it was necessary to organize a new company. His company was mustered into service with the 15th regiment, and he served as Captain of the same until 1863, when he resigned his commission, because he was not the man to tolerate imposition even from a superior officer. While in the army he participated in the battles of Shiloh, Iuka, and Corinth. His men never smelled powder except Capt. Madison was with them and inhaled it at the same time. He was a brave soldier, but, on account of jealousy, other officers were jumped over him in rank, and Capt. Madison resigned. Returning home from the war our subject purchased a steam sawmill, which he operated in connection with his farming for a number of years, and then, in company with J.G. Baker and Tolon Grey, took a contract for the furnishing of ties for the C.B. & Q.R.R. and furnished upward of 300,000 ties for that company.
     In 1880 Capt. Madison went to Texas where he took a contract for the delivery of lumber and ties to the Texas Pacific Railroad. He was occupied in the fulfilling of this contract for about three years, when he returned to Ottumwa, and has since resided here. Mr. Madison is at present the owner of about 1600 acres of land in Wapello County, about 1000 acres in Hancock and Cerro Gordo Counties, 100 acres in Davis County and about 3000 acres in Texas. He has rented all of his land which is under cultivation.
     In politics Capt. Madison is a Democrat. He represented his district in the General Assembly in 1875-76, and was also a member of the Senate in 1878-80. His term expired in the Senate while he was in Texas, or he no doubt would have been re-elected. He was elected Mayor of Ottumwa in 1884, and re-elected in 1885. He was a candidate for the Senate in 1885. and was defeated by only twenty-one votes.
     Capt. Madison was united in marriage with Miss Sarah J. Livingstone in 1863. She was a native of Indiana, and has borne our subject three children, all daughters: Ellen married Anson Headley, telegraph operator for the C., R.I. & P.R.R. at Keokuk; Mary is the wife of Harry Reigg, an engineer on the C., B. & Q.R.R.; Rhoda resides at home. Mr. Madison has never connected himself with any secret society. His success in life is due to his own good judgment and energetic perseverance.


History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     John P. Gallagher, the junior member of the firm of Osborn & Gallagher, publishers of the Williamsburg Journal Tribune, is a native of York township. He was born on a prairie farm, his parents being John and Catherine Gallagher, natives of Tyrone and Monaghan counties, Ireland. They located in York township in 1859. There were nine children in the Gallagher family and the subject of this sketch is a twin, his brother mate being G.P. Gallagher, who resides on a farm within sight of the old homestead. The father of the twin boys died when the sons were yet in their teens and they at once assumed the responsibilities of the three hundred and twenty acre farm, canceling its debt and maintaining a home for their mother and sisters.
    In 1888 John P. was appointed to the railway mail service, his first assignment being the run from Davenport to Calamar; in 1890 he was transferred to the run from Marion, Iowa to Kansas City, Missouri, and he spent eleven years in this, resigning in 1901, when he became part owner of the newspaper with which he is still connected.
     Mr. Gallagher never attended other than the district school and this only in broken periods, but his studious disposition has required but little aid; he has read good, wholesome literature, he had been a constant observer of the leading plays and his deductions and conclusions always bear the stamp or zeal of an originality redolent of genius. As a writer his work at once attracts attention by the earnestness, force and fairness of his expressions. He belongs to no political party in the sense that he must be ever ready to advocate its proclaimed tenants; he regards the common or general good as of paramount importance and is bitterly opposed to the theory that the common or general good is best subserved or promoted by an unbending allegiance to any political party and his fondest dream is that some day, some time "all men's good shall be each man's rule," a policy not possible under the cramped narrowness of the political organizations of today.
     His editorial work covers a wide field and reflects marked literary ability as well as defined taste. There is dignity in his expressions, and, at times, his prose becomes poetry rich in fancy, lofty in aim and clear in thought. For the glib phrase and slangy utterance he has nothing but a contempt that borders on hatred and his editorials possess a permanent value.
     He is a member of the Catholic church and is very well informed on her tenets and teachings, and his charity is freely extended to those who refuse to study the church except through her enemies; he regards this disposition as a malady, a disease, and inclines to the view that its only cure is in permitting the germs of the disorder to become consumed in the fire of its own prejudice, when out of its ashes will spring a broader tolerance and a brotherly or Christian spirit.
     Mr. Gallagher is unmarried and resides with a sister. He seldom takes a vacation, is a firm believer in work, and is proud of the fact that he never strayed far from his native soil.