Melrose, Monroe Co,
Melrose has about 500 population, and is fifteen miles west of Albia on the
C.B. & Q. Railway. It is situated in the midst of a Catholic community, and
the name itself has an Irish ring to it, like Tyrone.
The site of Melrose was first claimed by John DREW in 1847; but the town was
not laid out until 1866.
In 1857 the first school was taught in town by Sarah PRINDLE, and the next
year a commodious school-house was built. The first store was started by
T.C. STEWART in 1860. In 1861 the post-office was established, with J.D.S.
PEACOCK as postmaster.
Among the earlier settlers were A.D. BROWN, J.P. CURRIER, T.C. STEWART, J.
DAVENPORT, John McCOY, Adam YOUTSEY, Wm. GILBERT, Willis GILBERT, Wm.
BERNARD, J. ROBINSON, Pat COADY, and Orson GLASS.
Following is an enumeration of the business firms of Melrose in 1896:
Sumner SMITH, notary, pension agent, and insurance; in business twenty-two
W.R. BRILES & Comany (W.R. BRILES and D. RIORDAN), druggists and
pharmacists; in business four years.
Jas. DUGGAN, postmaster and merchant; in business since 1881.
Thomas BRANDON, banker; established in 1881.
L. LEMLY & Son, hardware and farm implements; in business five years.
Geo. SONE, breeder and importer of thoroughbred stallions.
Wm. FORD, blacksmithing; in business twenty-two years.
F.L. SAILING, harnessmaker.
M.D. SULLIVAN, general merchandise and justice of the peace; in business
A.G. PASCHAL & Son, general merchandise; in busines fifteen years.
W.S. CURRY, groceries, boots and shoes; in business one year.
Cleveland Hotel, P.G. DEVER, proprietor; in business two years.
J.P. CURRIER & Son, meat market and grain; in business four years.
Western Exchange Hotel, C.H. WHELAN, proprietor.
Mary HEFFRON, millinery and dressmaking.
RIORDAN & BLAIR; in business two years.
A.O. LEE, lumber; in business thirty years.
Wm. LAHART, general merchandise; in business twenty years.
P.C. MURPHY, bakery and confections.
W.W. O'BRYAN, attorney at law and notary.
From an Illustrated History of Monroe County, Iowa
Albia, Iowa 1896