Patrick Francis Nolan, a farmer, was born in County Mayo,Ireland in 1821 and was the eldest son of William and Bridget Nolan. When 22 years old, he left Ireland and came to America and located in New York in 1843. Remained there and in PA and VT fifteen years, working at the trade of founder and moulder, and in 1859 came west to Iowa and located in Stapleton Township, Chickasaw County, IA where he lived until 1882, when he moved to Fredericksburg. He married in 1851, to Elizabeth Armstrong, a native of Ireland, and had nine children: William, Catherine, James, Francis (my great grandfather), Alice, Thomas, Stephan, Maria and Peter. He was school director, road supervisor and town treasurer. The family were members of the Roman Catholic Church.

Being researched by: Patrick Joseph Nolan III


From: History of Crawford County, F. W. Meyers. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J.
Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.

John Joseph McDERMOTT

For twelve years past editor and publisher of The Manilla Times, John Joseph
McDERMOTT has acquired a reputation not only as a clear and convincing
writer but also as one of the substantial and progressive citizens of
Crawford county. He was born at Clinton, Iowa, December 11, 1878, a son of
Anthony and Mary Agnes (HOOK) McDERMOTT, the former of whom was a native of
County Mayo, Ireland, and the latter of Liverpool, England. The father, who
was born July 16, 1852, left home at fourteen years of age and became a
sailor but after arriving at manhood decided to try his fortune in America
and came to Clinton county, Iowa. He was married at Toronto, Iowa, to Mary
Agnes HOOK and took up his residence in Clinton, where he continued until
May, 1893, then locating on a farm two and one-half miles northwest of
Manilla in Nishnabotny township, Crawford county. He removed to Manilla in
1908 and died there August 12, 1910. His beloved wife passed away February
3, 1897. Mr. McDERMOTT gave his support to the democratic party, and being a
staunch friend of education served most acceptably for a number of years as
a member of the school board. He and his wife were devoutly attached to the
Catholic church and in their lives indicated a profound desire to follow the
teachings of the Great Master. The last words of Mr. McDERMOTT were
expressive of his deep sense of the presence of God and his desire to meet
once more with his companion, whose death he had sincerely mourned. Our
subject's grandfather McDERMOTT was a native of Ireland and engaged in
farming. He came to America and died at Clinton, Iowa, at the advanced age
of ninety-seven years. There were eight children in his family, namely:
Michael, Anthony, Patrick, John, Mrs. Owen KINGSLEY, Mrs. James SHERIDAN,
Bridget and Mrs. Thomas RIMMER. This branch of the family is of Scotch-Irish
ancestry. James HOOK, the maternal grandfather, married Kate SIBBONS in
England. They came to America and after living for a short time in Clinton
County, Iowa, removed to Crawford county, settling in Nishnabotny township.
They both died at Manilla well advanced in years, having reared a family of
seven children, namely: James, Mary Agnes, Patrick, Mrs. Kate HALEY, Mrs.
James NORKETT, William and Francis. There were ten children in the family of
Anthony and Mary Agnes McDERMOTT, six of whom grew to maturity: John Joseph;
Kathryn, now of Omaha, Nebraska; George, Anthony, Theresa, and Lillian, all
of Manilla, Iowa.

John Joseph McDERMOTT was reared at Clinton until eighteen years of age and
received his education in the parochial and public schools, also attending
the Clinton Business College. After laying his books aside he learned the
printer's trade and has since devoted his attention principally to that
business. In 1896 he came to Crawford county and for the past twelve years
has been publisher of The Manilla Times, an independent weekly newspaper,
which has many readers in this part of the state. he maintains a well
equipped general job printing establishment for general catalogue and other
lines of work in connection with his paper.

On the 5th of November, 1903, Mr. McDERMOTT was united in marriage to Miss
Marguerite BROCKELSBY, a native of Crawford county and a daughter of W.H.
and Malinda BROCKELSBY. The father was born in England and the mother in
Pennsylvania. They came west and settled in Crawford county and are now
living in Hayes township. There were five children in their family: Richard,
Edward, Winifred, Marguerite and Elsie. Mr and Mrs. McDERMOTT have two
children, Joseph Muril and Francis Clyde.

Mrs. McDERMOTT's success in the management of his paper has been due to his
unswerving loyalty to the section in which he lives and the fairness and
impartiality with which he has treated all subject of public interest. A man
of good judgment and fair discrimination, he has proven a safe adviser, and
his aim at all times has been to promote the general welfare rather than to
advocate any special interest. In religious belief he adheres to the
Catholic church, and socially he is a valued member of the Modern Woodmen of
America and the Commercial Club of Manilla.

History of Delaware County, Iowa...Captain John F. Merry, supervising ed. 2
vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1914

Michael Barr is the owner of a rich and productive farm of four hundred acres of land situated on section 24, Prairie township, this county. He was born in Ireland in February, 1850, a son of Michael Barr, Sr., who was born in County Mayo, Ireland, on the 4th of March, 1823. He remained on the Emerald isle for nine years after his marriage but in 1854 he and his family emigrated to the United States, locating in Scranton, Pennsylvania, where they remained until 1869. In the latter year they came to Delaware county and located first in Honey Creek township but subsequently removed to Prairie township. Mr. Barr was an excellent farmer and his place was one of the valuable properties of the county and for so many years he was actively engaged in its operation. However, a year or so before his death he and his wife removed to Manchester and made their home with their sons, Robert and John and their daughter Margaret. On the 25th of July, 1913, Mr. Barr, Sr., was called from this life at an advanced age of ninety years, four months and twenty-one days. He was a member of the Episcopal church and practiced his life the teachings of Christianity. At the time of his death a local paper spoke of him as retaining "in a remarkable degree the clear mind and keen intellect with which he was richly endowed by nature." The following characterization is also quoted from the above mentioned journal. "His word was his bond and he merited the full confidence of the community which he enjoyed. He was of a jovial nature and was never happier than when entertaining a friend at his home, so noted for its hospitality. The close of this useful life brings sorrow to his friends and family." His wife was in her maidenhood Miss Maria C. McCormick and was born in County Mayo, Ireland, September 25, 1825. Her marriage to Mr. Barr occurred in Ireland in 1845 and their married life, which was terminated by his death in 1913, was one of unusual understanding and mutual trust. She survived her husband for not quite a year, dying July 22, 1914. While a resident of Ireland she was a member of the Anglican church but after coming to this country affiliated herself with the Methodist Episcopal church, in which organization she was a faithful and efficient worker. Her children were as follows: John, Allan and Robert, all of Manchester; Michael, of this review; Margaret and Mrs. Elizabeth Leighton, both residents of Manchester; Minnie and Mrs. J.M. Seaney, of Barry, Illinois; and James, Carrie and Whilhelmina, all of whom died in infancy.

Michael Barr of this review received excellent home training and early learned the most practical methods of agriculture and since coming to manhood's estate has followed the occupation to which he was reared. Success has attended his efforts and he now owns four hundred acres of some of the finest land in the county. His farm is situated on section 24, Prairie township, and is within seven miles of Manchester, the county seat. He has devoted a great deal of time and labor to the improvement of his place and it is not only valuable but attractive in appearance.

Mr. Barr was married on the 8th of January, 1895, to Miss Clara S. Snyder, a daughter of George W. and Mary S. (Isbell) Snyder, natives of Pennsylvania and Illinois respectively. The father was born in 1831 and the mother in 1839 and their marriage was solemnized at Naperville, Illinois, on the 1st of November, 1857. George W. Snyder was a son of George and Sarah (Bilman) Snyder, who were natives of Ohio and came to Illinois when he was a lad of ten years. He was educated in the disctrict and public schools of his native state. He was reared to agricultural pursuits and his entire life has been devoted to farming. Following his marriage he resided at Naperville until 1876, when he removed with his family to this county, settling near Manchester, upon a farm of one hundred and thirty-three acres upon which he has since resided. In carrying on his farm work Mr. Snyder proved himself a practical, progressive man, energy and determination being among his strong characteristics. He began the development of his farm and with characteristic energy has continued the work of tilling the soil, his labors bringing about a marked transformation and improvement in the place. He and his wife are the oldest living couple in Delaware county, and while Mr. Snyder still performs the necessary work of the fields, his wife manages the household affairs. In his political views Mr. Snyder was originally a republican but because of his deep interest in the temperance question transferred his allegiance to the prohibition party, which he now supports by his influence and his ballot. Perhaps the strongest element in his life has been the devotion to the church and his efforts for reform and progress. For many years he has been a devoted Christian man, holding membership in the Presbyterian church of Manchester, in which he has served for an extended period as elder, while for several years he was superintendent of the Sunday school in Milo township. Mrs. Snyder has always been in deep sympathy with her husband in this work. She was but seven years of age when she was left an orphan, nor did she even have a brother or sister, being thus entirely alone in the world. Largely through her own efforts she educated herself, taught school for several terms and developed marked talent as a writer, her contributions to magazines and papers being highly appreciated. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Snyder were born six children: Flora, Lisle, and Olive, who passed away in infancy; Clara, the wife of the subject of this review; Leonard, who died in 1888; and Loren, who passed away November 1, 1909. Mrs. Barr before her marriage taught school for a considerable period and from 1889 until 1893 was a prominent member of the American Educational Aid Association, and organization which has accomplished much good by providing homes for homeless children and providing also for the education of deserving girls. Her life has been actuated by a spirit of broad humanitarianism that has reached out in sympathy and helpfulness to many. She is also active in church work and her efforts and influence in that direction have been of marked value in promoting the upbuilding of the church and the extension of its influence.

To Mr. and Mrs. Michael Barr have been born six children, namely: Marion, a graduate of Epworth Seminary; Robert, a junior in the same school; Loren; Margaret; John; and Leonard. The father is a democrat in his political belief and fraternally belongs to Lodge No. 165, A.F. & A.M., of Manchester; Olive Branch Chapter, No. 48, R.A.M.; and Nazareth Commandery, No. 33, K.T. His honored parents left a name that stood for incorruptible integrity and honor and Mr. Barr of this review has maintained the family tradition of probity and righteousness of life, discharging to the full all obligations devolving upon him.


From the book "The History of Clinton County Iowa" by L. P. Allen (1879)

JOHN DOLAN, farmer and stock-raiser; resides in Sec. 12; P.O. Charlotte; born in County Mayo, Ireland, in 1816.  He married Catharine Murphy, native of same county; he came to the United States in 1848; he lived one and a half years in Rutland Co., Vt.; then removed to Livingston Co., N. Y., where he lived about three years; he then went to Illinois; remained one year, and came to Clinton Co. in 1854; purchased part of his present farm in 1855; has eleven children -- Martin, Thomas, Kate, Mary F., Ann I., Sarah E., Michael, Eliza, Theresa, James and Eva Alicelis; has lost three sons and two daughters.  Mr. Dolan owns about seven hundred acres of land; he is one of the most successful farmers of Clinton Co.; he came to the county twenty-five years ago, a poor man; has now several fine farms, well stocked and improved.


From the book "The History of Clinton County Iowa" by L. P. Allen (1879)

PAT CLARKE, farmer, Sec. 21; P. O. Elvira; owns 310 acres of land; he was born in County Mayo, Ireland, April 29, 1803, where he was educated; in 1864, he emigrated to this country and located in Clinton County, Iowa, where he has lived ever since. He married his first wife, Margaret Rooney, in Ireland, in 1820, and had six children, one only now living-Mary, wife of James Dolan, of Clinton County. His second wife, Mary Dolan, he married in Ireland in 1839, and had ten children, eight now living-Margaret, Ellen, Bridget, Ann, Patrick, Mike, John and Jim all members of the Roman Catholic Church. He has always been a stanch Democrat. He first commenced life by dealing in stock in Ireland, and, having some success, he came to this country and invested his money in lands and located as a farmer in Clinton County, on the property mentioned above.


Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianapolis, Indiana: 1911
     Whether the spirit of the times prevailing at the period of a person's birth has anything to do with his career is a question the biographer will leave to the psychologists and metaphysicians, yet it is worthy of note here that Thomas C. Hannaher, a well known and successful grain and flour dealer at Lyons, Iowa, was born as Macaulay, the great English writer, would have said, "in the brave days of old," the epoch of the famous "forty-niners," and whether that had anything to do with it or not, he has been very successful in his life work and has shown a progressive and courageous spirit in overcoming life's obstacles. HIs birth occurred at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, on June 10, 1849, and he is the son of Patrick and Margaret (O'Conner) Hannaher, both born in County Mayo, Ireland, the father on January 25, 1813, and the mother in 1823. They grew to maturity there and were educated in the home schools and married there. In order to escape the terrors of the famine of 1848 they emigrated to America, and located in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. They lived there until 1852, and lived for a short time at St. Charles, Carroll county, Illinois. They came to Lyons, Iowa, in 1855, and started a general merchandise store on the corner of Fourth and Main streets when Lyons was a mere hamlet. The father, Patrick Hannaher, was one of the most important and influential men in the early days of Lyons' history and did as much, if not more, than any other man in developing the place. He was looked upon as a leader and was a strong and admirable character and carried the farming on with credit up to 1861. He was the man who established Main street and laid it out in its present position, running due east and west. It formerly angled to the southeast from Sixth street and the position of the old street is still shown. In 1868 he built the Hannaher block, a three-story brick building, which was one of the first blocks in Lyons. At that time a three-story brick building was quite a novelty in this place, but the town grew rapidly and Mr. Hannaher's wisdom in placing faith in its future was proven. He gave up merchandising in 1861 and entered the grain business, buying and selling large quantities of grain which he usually stored in Lyons,- in fact, he became one of the leading and best known buyers in the Northwest in his day. He built a line of elevators along the northwest and retired from active business in 1880. He was highly esteemed by all classes and recognized by all as one of the most prominent men of Lyons in his day and one of the best friends of that place. His family consisted of eleven children, named as follows: John died in Dakota; Thomas C. of this review; Patrick and Mary both died in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; Charles, James Edward, Mrs. Dehlia O'Donnell, Margaret; Mary is deceased; Mrs. Anna Henley; Catherine is a sister of Charity at Lyons, serving under the name of Sister Augusta.
     Thomas C. Hannaher was educated in the public schools of Lyons, Iowa, completing his education at St. Mary's College, on the lake at Chicago. (This institution is not now in existence) In 1870 he went into business as a partner with his father in the grain buying and flour manufacturing business. They owned and operated large elevators and mills on Front street and they carried on a very large business. The soon took active charge of the business in 1880, the father retiring. Thomas C Hannaher was also engaged in buying and shipping live stock. He has been very successful in whatever he has engaged in and has long been regarded as one of the leading business men of Lyons. He practically retired from active business in 1900, but he still looks after his large interests in a general way and has charge of a thriving grocery store and a flour and grain business.
     Mr. Hannaher is a loyal and prominent Catholic and he organized the Order of Hibernians in Lyons where he was a young man. At a very early age he began taking an active part in local politics and when twenty-one years of age he was elected alderman of Lyons on the Democratic ticket, and he became mayor of the city at the age of twenty-six, and for a number of years during his active life he was a prominent figure at all political meetings. He filled the office of mayor in a manner that reflected much credit upon himself and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned, irrrespective of party. He did a great deal for the good of the city and community, carrying forward in a very laudible manner the commendable work begun by his worthy father.
     Mr. Hannaher was married on May 18, 1875, to Martha Jane Edney, who was born at Vincennes, Indiana, and who came to Lyons in 1865. Four children have been born to this union, namely: Thomas E., William John and Leo Patrick; the two latter are traveling in vaudeville in which they are making a great success all over the country; Ann B is the daughter.
     The Hannaher is one of the most prominent of the Irish Catholic families in Lyons, and the subject is a man whom it is a delight to meet- clear-headed, quick-witted, proud of his father's record, as he should be, for he did much for the people who settled in this community in the early days. He loaned considerable money, used his influence to bring in capital, and was always generous and public-spirited. Mr. Hannaher's father was the man who did great things for the Catholic church, furnishing half the money for a fifty-thousand dollar building, often furnishing a check for five hundred dollars when things looked bad. Mrs. Hannaher has also done the same thing.


Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianapolis, Indiana: 1911

     From the beautiful and far-famed Emerald Isle comes the genial gentleman whose life record is here briefly set forth; from the clime of the fanciful Thomas Moore and the patriotic Charles Stewart Parnell; from the land where glisten the waters of Killarney and where sweeps the placid River Lee. Such men are always desirable citizens, for they are not only congenial and cheerful in all situations, but also men of action. John Joseph Logan, who is one of the well known contractors of Clinton, Iowa, is a fitting type of such citizens. He was born in county Mayo, Ireland, March 22, 1866, and is the son of Martin J. Logan, who was born and reared in Ireland and who came to America in 1873. He located in Clinton, Iowa, and he sent for his family in 1875. He had located on a farm near Clinton and later he moved to a farm in Center township, this county. In 1883, he moved to Clinton and here worked as a teamster for several years. His death occurred on May 1, 1909. He was a Democrat and a member of the Catholic church. His family consisted of four sons and an equal number of daughters, John Joseph, of this review being the oldest; James, who lived in Carlisle, Iowa, died August 1, 1910; Ann; Mary married D.C. Manning and lives in Hampshire township, this county; Martin F.; Margaret married A.J. Nickson, of Aurora, illinois, Dehlia; Hugh B. lives in Clinton.
John J. Logan was educated in the public schools of Clinton county and a business college at Clinton, thus becoming well equipped for a business career. After leaving school, in order to get a start he began working in a sawmill, continuing some time, and then he was connected with the wagon works of A.B. Spies, doing millwright work. Then for a few years he followed contracting, finally forming a partnership with Butler King under the firm name of King & Logan, succeeding W.J. Cook in business. They did a very satisfactory business and in 1904 Mr. King died and since that time Mr. Logan has conducted the business alone and it has had a gradual and substantial growth and has now assumed very extensive proportions. Mr. Logan understands thoroughly this line of work and he spares no pains to please his patrons in every detail, and because of his integrity and business ability he has the confidence and good will of his patrons.
Politically, Mr. Logan is a Democrat and a member of the Catholic church; fraternally, he belongs to the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Order of Foresters.
     Mr. Logan was married on December 30, 1903, to Mary C. Hendsey, who was born in Clinton in 1875. Her parents died when she was an infant and she was adopted and assumed an adopted name. To Mr and Mrs Logan one child has been born, named Robert James, whose birth occurred on September 21, 1905.


Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianapolis, Indiana: 1911

     A worthy descendant of an honored and influential early family of Clinton county and a progressive and well known citizen of Waterford township is Michael H Hynes, who was born at Lyons, this county, August 11, 1857, but since he was about ten years old, he has resided on the farm. He was educated in the common schools at Lyons and in the country, attending business college, when eighteen years of age, at Clinton. He is the son of Martin and Bridget (Dolan) Hynes, both natives of County Mayo, Ireland, he having been born in 1825. Each accompanied their families to America in 1847, locating in the state of New York where the elder Hynes worked on public works, Erie railroad work and the navy yard. He married in 1851 and the following year came to Lyons, Iowa, where he conducted a hotel for several years, until 1868, during which time he built several good houses, also conducted a hotel and purchased a farm near Riggs, this county, moving to the same in 1868, remaining there until the death of his wife in October, 1886. He had prospered and added to his land until he owned four hundred and eighty acres in two farms, the family operating both. After his wife died he made his home with his son, Michael H. of this review. He finally divided his lands among his children, the subject receiving two hundred acres, and he still resides on this land. He has added to this until he now has three hundred and eighty acres. The father lived with the subject from 1893 until his death, on May 18, 1898, having been killed in a cyclone which almost utterly destroyed a fine farm, but the subject has since rebuilt all the buildings and added other improvements until his place today ranks with the best in the township. Twenty-five people were killed in that storm which devastated this section of the country, fortunately missing towns and villages. Mr. Hynes had fifty head of cattle and hogs killed, sixteen head of horses and four hundred fowls. His loss was ten thousand dollars. The father was a loyal Democrat, but never aspired to public office. He was a very successful businessman, having come to this country without means, but by hard work and good management became quite well-to-do. His reputation was that of an honest, sincere, earnest man who merited the high esteem in which he was held. His word was as good as the bond of most men. He was a worthy member of the Catholic church, and he sleeps the sleep of the just in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, by the side of his wife, who also was a splendid  character. Six children were born to them, namely: Thomas never married and he makes his home with his brother, Michael H., Mary is Mrs. Martin Moran; Michael of this review; Catherine is the wife of T.J. O'Mara, of Minnesota; Martin died when five years of age; John F., is farming in this township on the old homestead, he being the only child born on that place.
Michael H Hynes, of this review, remained under the parental roof during his young manhood days, and he was married on October 18, 1892. He brought his wife to the home where he yet resides. He began shipping fat stock to market in 1880, continuing his vocation for twelve years, having been very successful. He continued the stock business after his marriage in connection with general farming. Fro the past twelve years he has been breeding Polled-Angus cattle, and now has a fine herd of registered thoroughbreds of this famous breed, also has a large herd of excellent stock cattle which he is feeding. He is also a breeder of Belgian horses, and owns stock in two imported stallions, which were sired in Belgium. He has also begun raising Poland-China hogs, and his wife has a flock of fifteen hundred Plymouth Rock and Black Minorca chickens, also a fine assortment of ducks, turkey and geese. Mr. Hynes is making a great success both as a general farmer and a stock man, his fine stock finding a ready market owing to its superior quality. He assisted in the organization of the Charlotte Savings Bank and is a stock holder in the same, and when it was re-capitalized from twenty-five thousand to fifty thousand dollars he was elected a director. The popularity of this solid and conservative institution is shown by the fact that its deposits increase daily, the people having the utmost confidence in the officers and directors.
     Politically Mr. Hynes is a loyal Democrat and has filled the office of school director a number of years, and he has been treasurer of his township for twelve years. He is chairman of the Democratic committee and has been a candidate to the county conventions for many years, and was appointed a delegate to the last state convention, but was unable to attend. He was elected assessor in 1904, and has served three terms in a very able manner, giving the utmost satisfaction in all positions of public trust that he has held. He is prominent in local political affairs and is well qualified to fill almost any position within the gift of the people.
     Mr. Hynes was married at St. Joseph's Catholic church by Father Sassen, on the date mentioned above, to Mary Harty, who was born in this county, August 17, 1862, and is the daughter of William and Mary (Gleason) Harty, both born in county Tipperary, Ireland, the father in 1817 and the mother in 1830. She came to Canada with her parents in 1832 and there grew to womanhood, and in August, 1853, married William Harty in Canada. Soon afterwards they went to San Francisco, California, where they remained three years, then returned to Canada where they stayed a short time, and then came to Lyons, Iowa, and soon brought a farm of two hundred and forty acres adjoining the present homestead in Waterford township where they spent the balance of their days, the father dying April 23, 1890. He carried on general farming successfully, also raised stock. He was a Democrat and a member of the Catholic church, and a man of the very best reputation. His widow survived until March 10, 1902. She was also a member of the Catholic church. The following children were born to them: John, born in October, 1858, remained single and died August 26, 1909; William, born on the farm, May 6, 1860, died September 15, 1910; he too, had remained single; Mary, wife of the subject; Catherine married Frank Burke, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Seven children have been born to Mr and Mrs Michael H Hynes: Mary W., born July 22, 1894, is a student in the high school at Lyons; Bridget L., born July 12, 1895, is a student in the high school at Charlotte; Gertrude C., born February 9, 1897, is attending the home school district; Martin J., born October 19, 1898, died March 10, 1899; William T., born November 15, 1899; Michael F., born September 29, 1901; Hillm E, born May 2, 1904.
     In 1868 Michael H. Hynes walked with his father from Lyons to the spot that was to be the future home of this influential family. Night overtook them within three miles of the place and they slept in a straw pile. The rest of the family went to the farm the day before and he and his father drove the livestock. He often refers to the primitive conditions of those days and how he worked to assist in starting a new home in a new land, undergoing the usual hardships and privations, but in due course of time they had a very comfortable home and an excellent farm, and from that day to this the family has been regarded as one of the leaders in the community, or in fact this part of the county.


History of Johnson County, Iowa...from 1836 to 1882; Iowa City, Iowa: 1883

Michael O’Riley, a resident of Iowa City and a contractor; was born in County Mayo, Ireland; came to America in 1867; landed in New York city; came to Iowa City, 1871. He was married May 27, 1875 to Miss Maggie Kelty of Iowa City; she died July 18, 1876. He is a democrat in politics, and served on the police force in Iowa City in 1881. He met with a severe accident in 1881, but has nearly fully recovered and is engaged in contracting for digging large ditches, draining lands along the Iowa river in Johnson county; he understands his business and can get plenty of good work from  his men, for he uses them well. He is a member of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church of Iowa City.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     Fairview township numbers among its most prosperous and progressive farmers and stock-raisers Richard Kielty, who owns one hundred and twenty acres of the old homestead, upon which his father settled in early times, and a half interest in a forty acre timber tract in the vicinity. He was born in Clayton county, near his present home, November 20, 1862, and is a son of Patrick and Catherine (Geraghty) Kielty, natives of County Mayo, Ireland, the former born in May, 1817, and the mother about five years later. The father crossed the Atlantic in 1852 and landed in New Orleans, whence he moved to Kentucky, then to Ohio and then to Virginia. He married soon after his arrival and in 1855 moved with his wife to Iowa, settling in Clayton county, where for a time he engaged in farming in the employ of others. In 1865 he purchased land of his own and upon it resided for eleven years after which he moved to Fairview township, Allamakee county, and bought the farm upon which the subject of this review now resides. He operated this for a number of years, steadily carrying forward the work of its improvement until a few months before his death, which occurred in September, 1907. He was very prominent in local affairs, having held various township offices, the duties of which he discharged in a capable and conscientious way. His wife survives him and still resides upon the old homestead. She and her husband became the parents of eight children, five of whom are living.
     Richard Kielty acquired his education in the public schools of his native township and in those of Fairview township, this county, whither he removed with his parents in his boyhood. He grew up on the homestead and in his youth aided in its operation, gaining a practical knowledge of the best agricultural methods. When he was about thirty years of age he and his brother John rented the home farm, operating it together until 1907, when they purchased the estate and divided it, Mr. Kielty of this review receiving as his share the one hundred twenty acres which he still owns. He has also a half interest in a forty acre timber tract, which he owns in conjunction with his brother. He engages in general farming and stock-raising, and his interests being carefully and practically conducted, have proven profitable, so that he is today numbered among the substantial and representative agriculturists of this vicinity. He is a stockholder in the Monona Creamery and in the Farmer's Commission Company of Monona and his ability is recognized and respected in business circles.
     On the 29th of July, 1907, Mr. Kielty was united in marriage to Miss Theresa Schofield, who was born in Linton township, Allamakee county, November 6, 1874, a daughter of Peter and Ellen (Joyce) Schofield. Mr. and Mrs. Kielty have become the parents of two children: John Richard, who was born May 14, 1908; and Ellen Catherine, born June 15, 1910.
     Mr. Kielty is a devout member of the Roman Catholic church and is a democrat in his political beliefs, having served for two consecutive terms as township assessor. His fraternal relations are with the Modern Woodmen of America. He has resided in this part of Allamakee county ever since boyhood and has become widely and favorably known. For a number of years he has been influentially associated with business and agricultural interests here and is a man whose high moral character and unquestioned integrity merit the respect and confidence of his neighbors and friends.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     As superintendent of the Allamakee county farm Oliver A. Dixon has gained the commendation of his fellow citizens, for his efforts in behalf of those who have come under his care during his incumbency in office have been of a character to awaken public appreciation and regard. He was born in Winneshiek county, May 15, 1865, and is a son of William J. Dixon, a native of County Mayo, Ireland. As a young man the father crossed the Atlantic and located in Massachuesetts, working at anything which would bring him income. He married in that state Miss Celia Curran, also a native of Ireland, and they moved west to Iowa, settling in Winneshiek county, where Mr. Dixon purchased land and opened up a farm. Three of their children were born in that section, but they later sold their property there and in 1869 moved to Allamakee county, buying two hundred and forty acres in Hanover township. They continued to make their home upon that farm for several years, the mother dying in 1877. The father later made his home with his daughter, with whom he now resides, having reached the advanced age of ninety-six.
     Oliver A. Dixon was reared upon his father's farm and accompanied his parents to Allamakee county. From his early childhood he assisted with the work of the homestead and after reaching maturity took entire charge, remaining as manager until 1903. In that year he moved to California and located in San Bernardino, where for one year he was employed by a gas company, remaining a resident of that city for four years. Returning to Iowa in 1907, he made his home in Waukon and soon after ward was appointed superintendent of the county farm, assuming his duties in the same year. In that institution Allamakee county cares for both its poor and its insane and the home now has thirty-five inmates, all of whom are under Mr. Dixon's care. With the help of his wife and another married couple he operates the farm, the products of which in 1911 netted the county over twenty-two hundred dollars. The property comprises two hundred and forty-nine acres and under Mr. Dixon's management has been greatly improved, the home having been remodeled and repaired, a number of the water towers and a hose house erected, a silo built and cement walks laid wherever needed. Mr. Dixon is proving himself competent in the performance of the duties that have devolved upon him in connection with this position and the institution under his direction is being conducted in a manner which wins him the commendation of all concerned. He is carrying on its affairs in a most businesslike way, following the methods most approved in the conduct of public institutions of this character, and at all times he has an eye for the comfort and well-being of the inmates, a fact which makes him a popular official.
     Mr. Dixon married in Hanover township Miss Kathryn Sullivan, a native of Layfayette township, Allamakee county. She acquired her education in the public schools of her native section, in the Lansing high school and later in a commercial college at Waukon. After her graduation she taught in the public schools of Allamakee county for several years. Since her husband has has charge of the county farm she has proven an able, energetic and efficient assistant and much credit for the good management and excellent condition of the institution is due her. Mr. and Mrs. Dixon have three children: May and Kathryn, who were born in San Bernardino, California; and Frances, a native of LaCrosse, Wisconsin. The family are members of the Catholic church of Lycurgus and Mr. Dixon is affiliated with the Catholic Order of Foresters. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party but he has never sought office and aside from his present position has never been connected with public life. In private relations he has been actuated by the principles which govern honorable and upright manhood and the same high ideals have ever been manifest in his dealings with those with whom he has been connected in an official capacity.


Emmetsburg Democrat, Palo Alto Co, Iowa; Christmas Souvenir: 1895

     The Christmas number of the Democrat would be incomplete without a brief biographical sketch of Patrick Joyce, the vice-president of the Brown Land and Loan Co. one of the first citizens of four city- a gentleman who yields to none in the earnestness of his devotion to interests of society, education, religion, and everything that our citizens as a body appreciate and idolize. He was born at Louisburg County Mayo, Ireland, November 16, 1839. He attended school for a short time in his native country. There was little hope for an ambitious young man in the land he lived, so he fixed his heart and hopes on fair Columbia. He reached Liverpool May 13, 1857, and New York City, on the 13th of the following July. Soon after he went to New York, remaining a year. In 1863 he became a resident of Lansing, Iowa, where he was engaged in business for several years. In 1871 he came to this county and settled in the old town. He moved to the new town in September, 1874, locating his business where his large brick block is situated. In 1884 he was elected mayor and he served as a member of the city council for ten years during the early history of our present city. As a merchant he was highly successful and he enjoyed an extensive patronage. In 1890 he erected the large, three story brick building, which bears his name and which is the pride of Emmetsburg. Last June, owing to failing health, he was forced to retire from business.
     Mr. Joyce was married to Miss Mary Ellen O'Meara, of Lansing, Iowa, June 21, 1868. They have two exemplary sons-William, who is cashier of the Iowa Savings Bank, and Joseph, who is attending St. Mary's Academy. Mr. Joyce has for several years been county delegate of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, in the foundation of which organization he took a prominent part. He has always taken an active interest in political affairs, although he has never sought a political position. He is a man of strong convictions, of sincerity, and of loyal friendship. The Democrat has always found him a staunch, helpful friend, and it is indebted to him for aiding to arrange the dates and collect facts concerning the early history of our town and county. Emmetsburg is deeply indebted to Patrick Joyce for its material and general development and he has retired from business cares with the confidence and good wishes of all who know him.


Biographical History of Pottawattamie County: Lewis Pub. Co., 1891.

     Martin Hughes is a native of County Mayo, Ireland. He was born October 15, 1836, son of John and Mary (Welch) Hughes. When a lad he was sent to England, and in 1854 he crossed the Atlantic to America, locating in Upper Canada, where he remained eight months. Then he came to Iowa, and, after spending two years in Des Moines, in the fall of 1856 he took up his abode in Council Bluffs, where he has since continued to reside. He began to learn his trade, that of a mason, while in England, which he completed in very detail after coming to this country. In 1868 he formed a partnership with the Wickham Bros., with whom he was associated a number of years. He also turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, as he owned a farm of 500 acres in Lewis Township, the most of which he disposed of.
Mr. Hughes owns a brick-yard on North Eighth street, the output being about 3,500,000 brick annually and the average number of men employed being sixty-five. Some of the principal buildings erected by him are the Merriam block, Sapp building, Episcopal Church, Brown building, the Third street and Pierce street school buildings, besides many fine structures in Omaha. He is one of the oldest contractors and builders in the city, and has been one of the most successful. He has an elegant brick residence, No. 903 Third street, which was erected in 1888, at a cost of some $25,000, and is one of the finest homes in the city. He owns a valuable block on the corner of Broadway and Park avenue, also a block on Main street, in which his son is engaged in business, gents' furnishing goods. Besides the buildings already mentioned Mr. Hughes owns thirteen resident properties. All this property is the result of his own industry and skillful management. He is eminently a self-made man, as he had comparatively nothing when he came to this city.
     Mr. Hughes was married in 1858, to Miss Mary Wickham, who was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, March 23, 1837, the daughter of Patrick and Celia (Prior) Wickham. The eleven children born to them are as follows: Ida, wife of Charles Fox, a resident of Council Bluffs; George, a member of the firm of Hughes & Son, Council Bluffs; Thomas, engaged in the mercantile business, above referred to; John J., the third son, is now a junior member of the firm of Martin Hughes & Sons, and is a late graduate of St. Benedict's College, Atchison, Kansas, and Celia, Mamie and Martin at home. All the above mentioned have had a thorough collegiate education, all having graduated except the youngest. Four of their children are deceased: James, John, Mary and James. The family are members of the Catholic Church, and in his political views Mr. Hughes is a Democrat.
     The firm of Martin Hughes & Son was formed in 1881. They do an annual business of some $300,000 and their average monthly payroll is about $6,000. George F. Hughes is a practical mechanic, having learned his trade under his father. He now assumes the management of the business. The son follows his father in political views as well as in trade. He is a member of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association and carries $5,000 insurance. His father has an insurance of $20,000.


From: History of Crawford County, F. W. Meyers. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J.
Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.

     The life record of P.E.C. Lally is an excellent illustration of what may be accomplished when ambition and determination point the way. He has never feared to venture where favoring opportunity had lead the way nor has he failed to use any means whereby he might develop and strengthen his native powers and talents. In this way he has become well qualified as a lawyer and today occupies a prominent position at the Crawford county bar.
     He was born in County Mayo, Ireland, June 8, 1856. The genealogy of the Lally family can be traced for five hundred years in Ireland. John Lally, the paternal grandfather, a native of that country, devoted his life to farming but died at an early age, his death resulting from an accident. He had wedded Mary Hester and they had become the parents of nine children, six sons and three daughters, Peter, Thaddeus, John, Patrick, Thomas, Frank, Mary, Ellen and Kitty. All of these children with the exception of Peter, Thaddeus and Thomas came early to America and settled in different parts of the country. One of the sons, John, was killed by a rebel sympathizer at Covington, Kentucky, at the outbreak of the Civil war.
     Peter Lally, a member of this family and the father of P.E.C. Lally, was born in Ireland and devoted his life to general farming. He was married in his native country to Nancy Corcoran, whose parents were farming people of County Mayo, Ireland. Mrs. Lally died on the Emerald isle in 1876, when about sixty years of age, and in 1881 Peter Lally crossed the Atlantic to America and made his home with his son Patrick in Vail and later in Denison, Iowa. His death occurred when he had reached the age of seventy-nine years. Both he and his wife were members of the Catholic church. Their family numbered four sons and two daughters: John, who died in Chicago; Sarah, the wife of Henry O'Neill, of County Mayo, Ireland; Michael, a resident of Manchester, England, who was superintendent of the street car system there for twenty years; Patrick E.C., of this review; Frank, who died in New York city; and Mary, who died in infancy.
     P.E. C. Lally spent his youthful days upon his father's farm in County Mayo, Ireland, to the age of eighteen years and during that period attended the country schools in the acquirement of his education. He afterward began clerking in Westport, Ireland, and later in Newport. In 1874 he sailed for America, attracted by the tales which he heard concerning opportunities here offered. He did not bring with him any false ideas, however, that wealth should be had for the asking but realized that diligence and determination are the forces which will swing open the portals of success. For a short time he lived in Chicago and then removed to DeKalb county, Illinois, after which he worked upon a farm and engaged in teaching school. In 1877 he came to Iowa, settling in Greene county, where he was employed at farm labor and on the railroad. He also taught school and with ambition to direct his efforts into professional channels took up the study of law under the direction of Hon. J.J. Russell, who directed his reading until his admission to the bar in 1880. He then located the practice in Vail, where he remained until his removal to Denison in 1887. Here he practiced alone until 1889, when he formed a partnership with Judge Conner, and since that time they have been associates in law practice under the style of Conner & Lally. This is one of the strongest law firms of the city and its position is indicated in the liberal clientage accorded them. Mr. Lally has proved himself a strong and able advocate and safe counselor. He prepares his cases with diligence and care, and in the presentation of his arguments his deductions follow with logical sequence.
     On the 1st of September, 1880, Mr. Lally was united in marriage to Miss Kittie Hughes, a daughter of Frank and Margaret (McGrath) Mungon Hughes, of Greene county, Iowa. This marriage has been blessed with eleven children. Margaret E., the eldest, is the wife of Clem M. Mahan, residing on a ranch near Kansas City, Missouri, and they have two children, Catherine Claudine and Addis Clement. Thomas A.E. is practicing law in Spokane, Washington, as a member of the firm of Cannon, Ferris, Swan and Lally. Frank H. is now a senior in the Creighton Medical School. Genevieve A. is the wife of Dr. P.J. Brannan, of Dennison, and has two children, Joseph Lally and Robert King Brannan. Beatrice is a graduate of the musical department of Drake University and of the musical department of Denison College. Blanid Marie and Inez Clare are pursuing a classical course in Mount St. Joseph College at Dubuque and both are graduates of the Denison high school. Rachel, Mary Alexes, O'Connell Lincoln and Patricia Katharine are all at home. The eldest son is a graduate of Denison College, of the University of Notre Dame and of the law department of Harvard University.
     Mr. and Mrs. Lally hold membership in the Catholic church, in the faith of which they are rearing their family. Mr. Lally is a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus and his son Thomas is a member of the same order, and both are members of the Catholic Who's Who in America. Mr. Lally likewise belongs to the American-Irish Historical Society. He occupies an eminent position as a representative of the Crawford county bar, is an eloquent pleader and strong in argument. His friend at different times have urged him to become candidate for district judge, but he has always refused. His political allegiance was originally given to the democratic party, and upon its ticket he was elected county attorney, filling the office for two terms. He is now and advocate of republican principles, however, he stands at all times a firm supporter of his honest convictions. He belongs to the library board and is ever a recognized supporter of measures and movements for the general good. He is an influential member of the Knights of Columbus and a popular speaker at their gatherings. His social qualities, his keen intellect and his genuine worth make him a favorite wherever he is known, and he had long since established himself as a representative and valued citizen of Denison, seeking at all times the public good rather than personal advancement.


The History of Marshall County, Iowa; Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     Lalley, Martin, farmer Sec. 36; P.O. Marshalltown; born County Mayo, Ireland in 1823; came to New Brunswick, New Jersey in 1850; moved to Pennsylvania in 1854; returned to New Brunswick in 1856; thence to Lee county, Ill. in 1860; to Clinton county, Iowa, in fall of same year and to this county in 1864. Married Miss Alice McCaffrey in 1857; she was born in the garden spot of the world, County Monaghan, Ireland in 1823; their children are Mary, born Oct. 6, 1852; Katherine, born Nov. 16, 1860; Martin, born Nov. 18, 1861. Are members of the Catholic Church. He owns 120 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre; his son-in-law, William O'Brien, has 5 children-Alice, born Oct. 31, 1868; Mary, born Nov. 22, 1871; Maggie, born Sept. 16, 1873; Anne, born Oct. 23, 1875; Agnes, born Oct. 3, 1877.


History of Tama County, Iowa; Springfield, Ill.: Union Pub. Co., 1883.

     In 1859, Thomas Cummings, in company with his four sons, became a settler of Buckingham township, coming from Pennsylvania. The father, and son Anthony, lived here until the time they died, and two sons, Martin and John are still residents of the township. They were prominent factors in the development of this vicinity, and sketches of each are here presented.
     Thomas Cummings, deceased, was born in county Mayo, Ireland, in 1794. He was married in 1821 to Miss Mary Caffery, also a native of county Mayo. They were blessed with seven children, six of whom grew to manhood. The wife and mother died in Ireland, in 1848. In 1852, Mr. Cummings joined three of his sons who had come to America some years previous. He settled in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he lived until 1859, then came in company with his sons, to Tama county, Iowa. He settled in Buckingham township and there lived until his death, which occurred in December of 1866.
     His eldest son, Anthony Cummings, deceased, was born in county Mayo, Ireland, April 27, 1822. His education was partially acquired in the public school, and afterwards completed by six terms at a select school in his native parish. In 1848, he emigrated to America. The ship landed him at Quebec and he remained in Canada until August of the following year, when he crossed over to the United States, and located in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania. There he was employed by a Pennsylvania coal company as weigh master. In 1850, he sent sufficient money to Ireland to enable two of his brothers to join him in America; two years later, the three sent back money that their father and two remaining brothers might cross the ocean. In 1850, Anthony's employers opened a union store and selected him to take charge of it. His marriage with Miss Ann Neiry occurred in 1851. During 1859, in company with his father and three brothers, he came to Iowa for the purpose of making a permanent home. They settled in Tama county, buying land on sections eleven and fourteen, of Buckingham township. Until 1860, they all lived together in a log house, on section eleven. However, during that year, they erected a frame house on the same section, and into it his father and two brothers moved. The subject of this sketch continued to live in the pioneer log cabin until 1861, when he removed into a frame house which he had built on section 14. Three years later he erected another frame house on the same section, to which he made additions and in which his widow now lives. Of his family, there are nine children living: Thomas, Mary A., Rose D., Francis, John, Kate, Eunice, Albert and Lizzie. His widow owns five hundred acres of land, all of which is under improvement. Mr. Cummings enjoyed the confidence and respect of his community and held several offices of trust in the township. He died at his home in Buckingham township, Tama county, on the 16th of April, 1883. Mass was celebrated by Rev. Father O'Brien, in the Catholic Church at Lincoln, Black Hawk county, this State. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Scallan, of Waterloo. The deceased was a member of the church at Lincoln, and was buried in the Catholic cemetery at that place.
     Martin Cummings, son of Thomas Cummings, was born in county Mayo, Ireland, in 1830, and was there raised to agricultural pursuits. In 1852, Mr. Cummings came to America, landing at new York city on the 4th of July. He went from there to Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in mining one year; then went to Illinois, where he was employed laying track on the Rock Island railroad and later on the C.A. & St. L. railroad. In 1855, he started for California. He left New York city march 5, went by way of the Isthmus of Panama and arrived in San Francisco on the 28th day of the same month. He followed mining in California until November, 1858; then returned to New York; thence to Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he remained until January, 1859. At this time he came to Tama county, Iowa, with his father and brothers and located land in Buckingham township, where he now lives on a finely improved farm. Mr. Cummings was married, in 1865,to Miss Jane Eagan, who has borne him eight children: Mary J., Catharine E., Thomas, Rosa A., Margaret, Elizabeth, John J. and James M.
     John Cummings, fourth son of Thomas Cummings, was born in Ireland, March 4, 1853. Mr. Cummings made his home in his native country until 1850, when he came to America and joined his brother Anthony in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in mining near Scranton. Here he remained until 1854, when he went to Illinois and engaged in laying railroad iron near Joliet. In the spring of 1855, Mr. Cummings went to New York city, from whence he started to California by way of the Isthmus. There he followed mining until the fall of 1858, when he returned to the Eastern States. In 1859, in company with his brothers, he came West and located land in Buckingham township, Tama county, Iowa, on sections 11 and 14. He now lives on section 11 and like his brothers has been very successful as a farmer, owning four hundred acres of improved land. Mr. Cummings was married, in 1870, to Miss Hannah Barrett, a native of Ireland. They have been blessed with seven children: Mary, Ann, Ellen, Barbara, Kate, Thomas and Eunice.


Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886.

     Peter McNally, residing on section 1, Lincoln Township, where he has made his home for over twenty years, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, August 27, 1838, a son of John and Eliza (Dennis) McNally, the father being of Scotch descent. His boyhood days were spent on a farm in his native country and after reaching manhood he engaged in business on his own account. July 1, 1863, he was married to Miss Sarah Burke, a native of the same county as her husband, born in April, 1840. Ten children have been born to them, of whom seven are yet living-Joseph, George, John, Lizzie, Hervia, Freddie and Mabel. Thomas, Albert and Maria are deceased. Mr. McNally left Ireland with his family in January, 1865, and toward the close of the same month landed in New York City. He came at once to Black Hawk County, Iowa, and for two years farmed on rented lands in Union Township. In 1867 he bought eighty acres of his present farm on section 1, Lincoln Township, which he immediately began to improve. He is a prosperous and energetic farmer, being ranked among the best in the neighborhood. He began life in Black Hawk County with only a few dollars, but by his untiring industry and frugality, together with his good judgment, he has acquired a fine property, his farm containing 200 acres which is mostly devoted to stock-raising and dairying. Mr. and Mrs. McNally and their eldest son are members of the Baptist church. In politics Mr. McNally affiliates with the Republican party. He is possessed of a wonderfully retentive mind and in Biblical knowledge he perhaps excels any man in the community in which he resides. He takes an active interest in educational matters and is giving his children the best of school advantages. His eldest son, Joseph, is at present attending the State Normal School at Cedar Falls.


Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886.

    Robert H. McNally was born in County Mayo, Ireland, January 4, 1849. In 1865 his parents, John and Eliza (Dennis) McNally. left their old home in Ireland and with their four children embarked for America landing at Quebec. They at once proceeded to Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County, Iowa, where they had relatives, and there made their home for a short time. The father bought land in Union Township, where he settled, but he did not live to enjoy his home, his death occurring in 1866, at the age of sixty-two years. His widow survived till March 5, 1883, dying at the home of her son John, in Black Hawk County, aged seventy-four years. Of their children, John lives in Palo Alto County, Iowa; Peter resides in Lincoln Township; a daughter, Mrs. Maria Fuller, resides in Clay County, Iowa, and our subject. Their daughter, Mrs. Lizzie Coughlin, remained in Ireland, where she still lives. Our subject commenced life for himself at that age of sixteen years, and for three years worked as a farm hand. He then farmed for himself on rented land for a few years, and in 1875 he purchased his present farm of 160 acres on section 10, Lincoln Township, where he is devoting his attention to stock and dairy farming. October 4, 1882, he was married to Miss Ida J. Thompson, who was born in McDonough County, Illinois, November 8, 1862, a daughter of W.P. Thompson, of Lincoln Township. This union has been blessed with one daughter-Dora Irene. Mr. McNally is one of the active and enterprising citizens of Lincoln Township, and during his residence here has won the respect and confidence of all who come in contact with him. He has filled most of the offices of trust and responsibility in his township, serving in all with satisfaction to his constituents. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party. Both he and his wife are members of the Baptist church.


The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.

     Mathew Riley, farmer, Sec. 26, P.O. Preston; was born in the county of Mayo, in Ireland, in 1812, and was an infant when his parents emigrated to the United States; on the 15th day of November, 1864, he emigrated to Jackson Co., Iowa, and has lived there ever since. He married Catherine Strong, a native of Ireland, in Jefferson Co., N.Y., on the 19th day of May, 1844, and had fourteen children, nine of whom are living-Kate, Annie, Mary, Margaret, Rosa (the afflicted), Ellen, Johanna, William Henry and Terressa Jeanie; his deceased children are Maggie, Thomas Mathew, Edward William, Patrick Edward and Joseph. He is a stanch Democrat in politics; he is a Roman Catholic in religion. He had but a limited capital when he first came to Iowa, and now he has a beautiful homestead and a fortune of from $25,000 to $30,000; owns 170 acres of land, also one town lot and dwelling in the town of Preston.


Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties
Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1894

     JAMES  SWEENEY.    Many pleasant  homes may be seen throughout Dubuque County and some are of more than ordinary beauty, either in architectural design or surroundings. Among those in Dubuque Township that are commodious and set in the midst of broad fields is the farm owned and occupied by Mr. Sweeney, which comprises one hundred and sixty acres.    The tract is well located and bears the improvements usually made by a man who desires to keep up with the times and surround himself with the conveniences of modern
rural life.    Honest and persistent effort on his part has been crowned by success, and to-day he ranks among the prosperous  citizens of the township, The parents of our subject, Miles and Mary (Flynn) Sweeney, lived and died in Ireland, where the father was superintendent of a landlord's estate during the greater part of his life. They were honest and industrious
people, and reared a family of twelve children. James was born in County Mayo, July 20,1820, and spent the years of youth and early manhood in the land of his birth, having no educational advantages. In 1849 he crossed the ocean and after a voyage of five weeks between Liverpool and New York landed in the latter city. From there he went to Geneva, N. Y., where for five years he was employed by the month. In September, 1856, Mr. Sweeney
married Miss Margaret Kevins, who was born near her husband's native home. They have been the parents of twelve children, of whom ten are living, as follows: Mary, Miles, Anna, Sarah, William, James, Robert, Charles, Lizzie and Lucy. After his marriage Mr. Sweeney settled in the vicinity of his present home. In 1859 he began to operate a rented farm, upon which he
engaged in tilling the soil for ten years. He then purchased one hundred and sixty acres comprising his present homestead. At the time of purchase this was almost wholly unimproved, and its present neat appearance is due to the energy of the owner, who has erected all the buildings, planted the trees and transformed the property into one of the most attractive homes of the county.
         The principles of the Democratic party receive the hearty and loyal support of Mr. Sweeney, who, however, has been too much engrossed in his personal affairs to take an active part in public matters. As a citizen he has been active in every way and has given liberally to churches and schools, especially to the Catholic Church, of which he is a member. He had
no one to help him start in life, but was obliged to make his way in the world as best he could. That he has succeeded in his worthy enterprises is shown by a glance at his fine estate.

--Contributed by Becky Teubner


Harlan, Edgar Rubey. A Narrative History of the People of Iowa. Vol III. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931

p. 314

    THOMAS A. MORAN, physician and surgeon, is practicing his profession in his native town of Melrose, Monroe County, and that community recognizes its debt to him not only as a professional man, a skilled and earnest worker, but as a citizen with a wholesome interest in the community as a whole and every family group therein.
    Doctor Moran was born at Melrose October 18, 1876, son of Anthony and Bridget (McCaffery) Moran. His parents were born in County Mayo, Ireland, and were married in Pennsylvania, and in the early 1870s came to Monroe County, Iowa, living on a farm. His father died in January, 1909, and his mother in December, 1916. Doctor Moran was a country boy in Iowa, attended country schools, but looked beyond the horizon of farm life to a professional career. As one step in his progress he attended what was then a very fine educational institution, the old Stanberry Normal School at Stanberry, Missouri. Later he entered the School of Pharmacy of Highland Park College of Des Moines, where he was graduated in 1902. His knowledge of pharmacy was valuable to him in different ways while completing his medical education. In 1907 he was graduated from Barnes Medical School in Saint Louis, and had one year of interne experience and training in the woman's department of the City Hospital of Saint Louis.
    With this training completed Doctor Moran returned to Melrose and entered into association with his life long friend, Dr. Michael F. Riordan, in June, 1908. Some of his first readings in medicine had been under the direction of Dr. Riordan, and he has always felt deeply indebted to him for his loyal encouragement and help. For a number of years Doctor Moran has had more than a local reputation as a specialist in eye, nose and throat diseases. He has kept himself up-to-date by post-graduate work in the Chicago Poly-clinic, Chicago Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, and Chicago Post Graduate School. He is secretary of the Monroe County Medical Society, member of the Iowa State Medical Association and a fellow of the American Medical Association.
    Doctor Moran has for twenty years been a member of the Melrose Board of Education, and during seventeen years of this time has been president. He is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus. During the World war he volunteered but being the only doctor at Melrose the Government kept him there, where he was able to serve his country to a greater advantage than in the field. He prizes the badge of voluntary war service bestowed upon him by the Government. He enrolled in the Volunteer Medical Service Corps October 14, 1918.
    Doctor Moran married in June, 1909, Miss Margaret Cummins, of Lucas County, Iowa, daughter of James and Johanna (Geary) Cummins. Her father was born near Dublin, Ireland and died in Iowa in 1915, and her mother passed away in 1925. The four children of Doctor and Mrs. Moran are: Walter, now a student in the Junior College at Albia; Mary, who graduated from the Melrose High School in 1929; and Thomas Jr., and John A. Doctor and Mrs. Moran have a splendid home among the hills of Melrose, overlooking magnificent scenery in the country round about.


Harlan, Edgar Rubey. A Narrative History of the People of Iowa. Vol IV. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931

p. 91

     THOMAS F. THORNTON, M.D. A physician of more than ordinary skill, widely-known throughout Blackhawk County, Dr. Thomas F. Thornton is a leading member of the medical profession of Waterloo. He was born on a farm in Lincoln Township, Blackhawk County, Iowa, a son of Thomas Thornton and a grandson of a native of Ireland, whose entire life was spent on that island. After his death his widow, grandmother of Doctor Thornton, moved with her children to Glasgow, Scotland.
    The father of Doctor Thornton, Thomas Thornton, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, but accompanied his mother to Glasgow, and he and his brother William were the only members of the family to come to the United States. William Thornton settled in Wisconsin, but is now deceased, although his son and daughter survive him. From the time he was seven years old until 1861, Thomas Thornton lived at Glasgow, and in the latter year came to the United States and went into the lumbering industry in the vicinity of Green Bay, Wisconsin. After ten years of hard work in the labor camps, during which period he saved his money, in 1871 he came to Blackhawk County and bought a tract of land from the Government for $1.25 an acre, a few acres of which were broken. Returning to Wisconsin he spent the winter in that state, and then, in 1872, came back to his claim, arriving in the spring. On it he erected a small farm house that was occupied by the family for thirty years. He also planted all the fine large trees that now beautify the place, as there were not trees there at the time. The first home has been replaced with one much more commodious. All of the necessary farm buildings have been erected; the machinery is modern and well cared for and the 200 acre farm is one of the best-improved and productive properties in the county. At the time Thomas Thornton came to Blackhawk County this section was but sparsely settled, although Waterloo was a thriving village. Wild game was plentiful, but there were difficulties in getting in commodities; there were but few improvements, and it took faith to venture into a region where so much remained to be done before living was comfortable. The mother of Doctor Thornton was Miss Hannah C. Hagerty before her marriage, and she was born at Clumet, Michigan, a daughter of Dennis Hagerty, of Irish Ancestry, and an early settler of Michigan. During the war between the states Mr. Hagerty served in the Union army, and following his honorable discharge from the army at the close of the war he settled in Texas, and there died of yellow fever when only thirty-nine years old. His wife was a member of the Kelly family, and she survived him many years, dying in 1914, at the age of eighty-seven years. Mr. and Mrs. Thornton had twelve children born to them, and all of them were living in 1930.
    When the Thorntons came to Blackhawk County the development at Waterloo was mainly along the west side of the river, and it was considered a great treat by the children to be permitted to ride into town with their father. Doctor Thornton first attended the rural schools of Lincoln Township and later the Iowa State College, Cedar Falls. Still later he entered the Creighton School of Pharmacy, Omaha, Nebraska, and was graduated therefrom in 1909, after which he entered the medical department of Creighton College, and was graduated therefrom in 1913, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. From the summer of 1912 until the fall of 1913 he served as an interene at Saint Joseph's Hospital, Omaha, after which he came to Waterloo, where he has since remained, building up a very large and valuable practice. At different times he has done post-graduate work in he best hospitals of Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, and Chicago, and is one of the best surgeons in Waterloo.
    In the year 1915 Doctor Thornton married Miss Veronica M. Finley, daughter of John C and Maria (Denning) Finley, farmers at Ferryville, Wisconsin. Mrs. Thornton was born at Ferryville, Wisconsin, and they have four children: Thomas F., born April 24, 1916; John F., born September 30, 1917; R. Joseph, born March 12, 1920; and Maurita, born April 5, 1924. By a former marriage Doctor Thornton has two other children: Edna Marie, born March 29, 1910, is a member of the Foreign Mission Sisters of St. Dominic of Maryknoll, New York, and is now known as Sister Miriam Thomas. The work of this order is among the oriental countries, such as China, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Hawaii, and also missions on our own Pacific coast for oriental immigrants. Sister Miriam Thomas is now in training for this type of service and will be ready for foreign duty in January, 1932. The other child of Doctor Thornton is T. Eugene, who is in the class of 1934 at Columbia College, Dubuque. Doctor Thornton and his family belong to the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, and he is a member of the Knights of Columbus, B.P.O. Elks and Kiwanis Club, of which he is a past president and in 1923 was delegate to the National Convention at Atlanta, Georgia. He also belongs to the Blackhawk County Medical Society, of which he is also a past president; the Iowa State Medical Society, of which he was chairman of the Surgical Section in 1929, and the American Medical Association of which he has for the past few years been a delegate to the House of Delegates and is a  Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. In 1929, Doctor Thornton took with him as partner, his cousin, Dr. John W. Thornton, a graduate of Rush Medical College and interne of Cook County Hospital. He is a son of Dr. John H. Thornton, deceased, formerly of Lansing, Iowa.
    In the pursuit of his honorable professional career Doctor Thornton has gained a strong position by the ability with which he has accepted and discharged his responsibilities, and while he has made a steady progress in the peaceful accumulation of the fruits of his vocation, he has established himself in the confidence and hearts of the people of Waterloo, and few men stand any higher in popular esteem than he.


Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon Counties, Iowa. Chicago: W. S. Dunbar, 1889.

     THOMAS Cosgrove, a farmer and stock raiser of Washington Township, has been identified with the interests of Shelby County, Iowa, since 1875. He was born in the County Mayo, half baronet of Erris, Ireland, July 25, 1928, and is the son of James and Mary (Robinson) Cosgrove. They were the parents of ten children, all deceased, except Thomas. In 1847 he left Ireland and went over to England, remaining there until 1849, when he went to the Isle of Wight. There he remained until 1851, when he crossed the sea in the service of the British army, under Colonel Lochair. He was stationed at Halifax, and in 1852 he went to Boston and entered the United States service in Company G, Third Artillery, commanded by Major Robert Anderson, at Fort Sumter. On account of disability he was discharged July 19, 1863. From Boston he went to St. Louis the same year, and worked at his trade in a foundry for three and a half years. For several years after that he was engaged in running a stationary engine. He left St. Louis in 1863 because he did not wish to join the Southern army, and came to Clinton County, Iowa, engaging in farming and keeping a grocery store. In 1875 he came to Shelby County, as before stated. His first investment in the county was in eighty acres of wild land. He owns at the present day 240 acres, all under cultivation. He carries on general farming, and devotes some time to raising special grades of live-stock. Politically Mr. Cosgrove casts his vote with the Republicans. He has served his township as road supervisor and as school director. He was married in 1856 to Miss Mary W. McAndrews, daughter of Antony and Mary (Burk) McAndrews. The wedding occurred in St. Louis. Mrs. Cosgrove was born in Ireland in 1834. They have had born to them eleven children; two of them died in St. Louis when children, and were buried there. James, a promising young man, died in Shelby County, Iowa, at the age of twenty-nine years. Those living are- Sarah, wife of Michael McAndrews, James, a promising young man, died in Shelby County, Iowa, at the age of twenty-nine years. Those living are-Sarah, wife of Michael McAndrews; Margaret, Ross, wife of Michael Nash; Mary, wife of Patrick Grady; Bridget, Antony, Dominick and Catherine.


A Memorial and Biographical record of Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1896

     WILLIAM MORAN, who is now living retired in one of the finest homes of central Iowa, well deserves representation among the leading citizens of Dallas county. He is one of the honored sons of Erin, having been born on the 12th of July, 1861, in county Mayo, Ireland, which was also the birthplace of his parents, William and Mary (Moran) Moran. In May, 1867, the family bade adieu to the Emerald Isle and sailed for the United States, coming direct to Dallas county, Iowa, and locating on the farm which is now the home of our subject. The father purchased 160 acres of wild land, which he at once began to clear and improve, making it a valuable property. His death occurred when past the age of eighty years, and his wife is still living, at the age of seventy. In their family were five children, three of whom survive, namely: William and Mary, who reside on the old homestead; and Mrs. Bridget Tiernan, a widow living in Des Moines.
     Our subject and his sister, Mary, together with their aged mother, live on the old homestead which was left to the children. The paternal grandparents, John and Mary (Doyle) Moran, were both natives of county Mayo, Ireland, and there spent their entire lives. The maternal grandparents, William and Catherine (Donahue) Moran, were also natives of that locality, and, though bearing the same name as the paternal grandparents, were no relation. William Moran died in his native land, after which his widow came to America and passed away in Dallas county, Iowa, at the age of eighty-five.
     The gentleman whose name heads this review was only six years of age when the family arrived in the United States. In the usual manner of farmer lads he spent the days of his boyhood, and in the district schools of the neighborhood acquired his education. The old homestead comprises 1200 acres of rich and arable land, being one of the most valuable properties in this section of the State. Mr. Moran has always been identified with agricultural pursuits, but does not engage in the active cultivation of his land, devoting his energies only to its superintendence. In 1895 he and his sister Mary had erected on the old homestead probably the finest farm house in central Iowa. It is a commodious modern structure and in a style of architecture is a combination of the Queen Anne and French villa style. It was designed by Mr. Moran and would do credit to any professional architect. This handsome structure is beautifully and tastefully furnished throughout, the parlor furniture being of solid mahogany, inlaid with mother of pearl. It is supplied with all the comforts and conveniences that go to make life worth the living, and is the abode of one of the most prominent families of Dallas county.
     Mr. Moran and his sister are devout and honored members of the Catholic church, and in politics he is a Democrat.


A Memorial and Biographical record of Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1896

     MARTIN O'MALLEY was for many years one of the prominent and representative agriculturists of Dallas county, Iowa, but is now practically living a retired life at his beautiful home in Bouton, where he is surrounded by many warm friends and acquaintances.
     He is a native of the Emerald Isle, born in County Mayo, on the 10th of November, 1834, and is a son of John and Ann (Dolan) O'Malley, whose births occurred in the same county. The parents, on coming to the New World in 1864, located in Iowa, and in Dallas county the father died at the very advanced age of ninety years, and the mother at the age of seventy years.
     To agricultural pursuits our subject has devoted his entire life, having been reared to that occupation. At the age of twenty-two years he wedded Julia Basquill, who was also born in County Mayo, Ireland, and is a daughter of John and Bridget (Carrigan) Basquill, who spent their entire lives there. Mrs. O'Malley is one of a family of seven children, all but one of whom are still living. After his marriage our subject still continued to carry on farming in his native land until 1863, when he came to the United States, leaving Westport, Ireland, for Liverpool, where he took passage for New York. He came direct to Clinton county, Iowa, where he arrived without funds, and was obliged to borrow $5 in order to obtain some working clothes and other necessaries, but by persistent energy and untiring perseverance he has worked his way upward until he now ranks among the prominent and well-to-do agriculturists of Dallas county. After a four-years residence in Clinton county, he arrived in Dallas county, in 1867, where he purchased forty acres of land, on which he built a small frame shanty, 12x24 feet. For five years that dwelling served as his home, when he erected a more commodious structure and there continued to  reside until 1804 since which time he has lived in his beautiful home in Bouton where he is surrounded by all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life. To his original tract of forty acres, Mr. O'Malley added from time to time until he now owns 700 acres of as fine land as is to be found anywhere in the State.
     No citizen in the community stands higher in the estimation of his fellow men than does our subject, who with his son John takes an active part in public affairs. At the age of twenty-one the latter was elected Township Assessor, in which office he served for six years, and is now filling the position of Postmaster of Bouton, where he conducts a large store in connection with buying grain. The other children of the family are Mary; Eliza, who is married and has one child; James, who is married and has one child; Bernard, who is married and has one child; and George and Julia, who are still at their parental home. The family are very prominent in social circles and  have the confidence and high regard of all who know them.