"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Thomas Moloney was born in the county of Limerick, Ireland, Dec. 24, 1813, and came to America in 1840. He landed at Kingston, Canada, and remained there until 1852, when he came to Scott County, and bought a farm of 261 acres in Winfield Township, where he now lives. He was married to Mary Slattery, on the 27th of November, 1842. She was born in Tipperary Co., Ireland, April 8, 1819, and came to the United States in 1841. Of 10 children born of this union, five are living - John J., born Oct. 27, 1844; Thomas F., June 26, 1846; Richard J., May 10, 1849; Patrick, March 16, 1852, and James, born April, 20, 1857. The children are all married except James, and have homes of their own. Mr. Moloney is a member of the Catholic church. In politics he is a Democrat. He is one of the representative farmers of his township.


Biographical and Historical Record of Greene and Carroll Counties,
Iowa...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

John Dinan, one of the self-made men of Green County, and an enterprising
farmer of Scranton Township where he resides on section 19, is a native of
Ireland, born in County Limerick in 1840. His parents, Thomas and Kate
Dinan, never left their native country. They had a family of seven children,
our subject being the sixth child, and only one who came to America. He left
Ireland during the war of the Rebellion, and landed at New York City in very
limited circumstances, but possessed of a stout heart and a determination to
succeed in life. He lived at New Haven, Connecticut, several years, and was
there married to Miss Letitia Lynch, who was born in County Derry, Ireland.
Four children have been born to them, three of whom are living, all natives
of New Haven, Connecticut-Thomas, born December 4, 1864; John, born May 24,
1867; and Albert, born September 24, 1871. Their son Robert was born in
Benton County, Iowa, May 5, 1874, and died in the same county January 25,
1878. Mr. Dinan came with his family to Iowa in 1871 and lived in Benton
County several years. They afterward resided in Story County, and from there
came to Greene County, settling on his present farm in the spring of 1880.
His farm of 160 acres is one of the best in his neighborhood, and almost
entirely under cultivation, and is located half on section 19, Scranton
Township, and half on section 25 of Richland twp, in Carroll county, which
he as acquired by persevering toil and energy, combined with good
management, and by his fair and honorable dealings he has won the confidence
and respect of all who know him. Politically Mr. Dinan affiliates with the
Democratic party. The family are members of the Roman Catholic church.


A History of Tama County, Iowa Vol II; Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1910.

Daniel Tierney owns and operates, in connection with his son, John O. Tierney, a splendidly improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres in the southwest quarter of section 12, Buckingham township. Born in County Limerick, Ireland, in 1837, he was left fatherless when but six years old, his parents, Owen and Margaret (Quad) Tierney, having been farming people there. Of their family of six children, only two sons, Daniel and Timothy, are living, the latter a resident of Sedalia, Missouri and a veteran of the Civil war, in which he served four years as a member of the Twelfth New York Regiment, Company G.
Daniel Tierney in his youth received very limited educational advantages, and as a lad of sixteen he came with his mother and the remainder of her family to America, and going at once to Attica, New York, the mother established her home there, and died at the age of seventy-seven years, in 1880. In that city Daniel Tierney spent five years as an employe in a livery stable, and then coming to the West in the spring of 1862, he located in Winnebago, county, Illinois, near the city of Rockford, where he was engaged in farming until his enlistment in 1863 in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. His services continued on until the close of the war, and he experienced the hardest rigors of army life, and at one time, during a mounted infantry charge, he was wounded in the foot, which rendered him slightly crippled for life. Receiving his honorable discharge in July 1865, he returned to Illinois, and three years later in 1868 came to Iowa and bought a farm in Buckingham township, while in the following spring of 1869 he brought his family to his new home. But in 1882 he sold that property and purchased the farm he now owns, which he improved in a splendid manner, and is successfully engaged in a general line of agriculture.
In the city of Rockford, Illinois, in 1865, Mr. Tierney married Miss Honora Craegen, a native also of County Limerick, Ireland, born in 1841, and a daughter of Patrick and Catherine (O'Rourke) Craegen. She was twelve years old when she came to America and to her new home at Troy, New York, where some of her brothers were then living, and later she joined another brother in Rockford, and she lived there until her marriage. This union has been blessed by the birth of eight children, but three died when young, and a daughter, Catherine, died at the age of twenty-seven years. Those living are: Margaret, the wife of James Gallogly, a merchant in Buckingham, and the mother of three sons, Daniel James, Ralph Michael, and Thomas LeRoy. Mrs. Gallogly had taught school some time before her marriage. John is at home with his parents and assists his father in the operation of his farm; Helen is also at home; and Honora is the wife of Ted Carrigan, their home being in Buckingham township, and they have two children, Francis D. and John J. Mr. Tierney is an independent political voter, and is a member of the J.G. Safley Post, No. 125, G.A.R. The religious home of the family is Immaculate Conception Catholic Church at Blessing.

History of Tama County, Iowa; Springfield, Ill.: Union Pub. Co., 1883.

     Daniel Tierney is a native of county Limerick, Ireland, and was born in 1836. When he was but six years old his father died. At the age of sixteen he came to America and immediately proceeded (after being landed at New York city) to Utica, New York, where he was employed in a livery stable. There he remained six years, and them removed to his cousin's and engaged in farming in Monroe county one year. From there, he located in the State of Illinois, when in May of 1864, he enlisted in the 146th Illinois regiment, and with it, went south. He was honorably discharged in July of 1865,and returned to Illinois. During 1869, he came to Tama county, Iowa, and purchased land in the south half of the southwest quarter of section 12, Buckingham townsbip. Upon it he erected a house and continued to live there until 1882, when he sold out and removed to the southeast quarter of the same section, settling on land which he had previously purchased. His marriage with Honora Creagan, took place in 1865. They have been blessed with five children: Catharine, Maggie, John O., Nellie and Honora.

Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianaplis, Indiana: 1911

     Conspicuous among the representative business men of Clinton, Iowa, is the well-known gentleman whose name introduces this biographical review. The industrious and well-regulated life he has led has gained for him not only material success, but the friendship, confidence and good-will of a vast acquaintance.
     John E. Purcell is a native of Clinton, having been born here on April 5, 1866, and he is the son of James and Mary (Conner) Purcell. The father was born near Limerick, Ireland, and died in 1873,while the mother's birth occurred in Canada; she is still living. James Purcell was a contractor by occupation and he was sixteen years of age when he came to America and settled in southern Illinois. He was very successful in his line of endeavor and established a good home here. His family consisted of two sons and two daughters, John E., of this review, being the first in order of birth; the others are Charles J., an engineer on the Northwestern railroad; Mrs. Margaret Calnan and Anna.
John E. Purcell was educated in the public schools of Clinton and finished at St. Mary's school. Leaving the school room, being equipped with a good practical education, he began life for himself as clerk in the grocery store of O'Donnell & Calnan, where he remained two years, during which time he gained many valuable pointers relative to the mercantile business. He then clerked two years for the grocery firm of Hall & Pollard, then went to the store of S.C. Seaman, where he remained three years. He then went to Denver, Colorado, and clerked two years for the McNamarrah Dry Goods Company, giving his usual satisfaction. He always took more or less interest in athletics, especially outdoor sports, and he played baseball with the Denver City League, and he was a member of a brass band at Denver. He then returned to Clinton county and was later salesman in the city trade of Chicago for the Drummond Tobacco Company, later working in southern Iowa. He was a traveling salesman for twelve years in northern Illinois for Dean Brothers & Lincoln, wholesale grocers, remaining with them until they went out of business, being considered one of their most efficient and trustworthy employes. Then for two years he was in the employ of the Steele-Wedells Company of Chicago, resigning his position July 1, 1905. He then started in business for himself at Clinton, Iowa, opening a shoe store under the firm name of Henley & Purcell. One year later Mr. Purcell bought out his partner's interest, and on February 1, 1909, moved the store to No. 305 Main street, Lyons, where he still conducts the same and enjoys a very liberal patronage from the town and surrounding country, having a neat and well-kept store and carrying an up-to-date and carefully selected stock of goods.
Mr. Purcell is a member of the Knights of Columbus; in fact, he organized the lodge at Clinton, and was the first grand knight and charter member of Sterling Council, No. 662, at Sterling, Illinois. On October 2, 1902, he transferred his membership to St. Edward's Council at Clinton. Politically, he is a Democrat, but independent locally, and he is a prominent Catholic.
     Mr. Purcell was married on June 19, 1895, to Louise Victoria Henle, who was born June 11, 1865, in Lyons, and is the daughter of Mathias and Theresa (Staley) Henle, a well-known and high respected family, and this union has resulted in the birth of the following children: Theresa Mary, Louise Marie, Anna, Helen (deceased), Josephine, Dorothy, Margaret Bernardine, Catherine Natalie and Mary Elizabeth.


Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianaplis, Indiana: 1911

     Such a life as that led by Rev. Fr. M.J. Hennessy, pastor of St. Patrick's church, near DeWitt, Iowa, is to be held up as a worthy example to the youth of the land. He was born in county Limerick, Ireland, in February, 1856. He received an excellent education in the public schools and in Christian Brothers College, and in the Diocesan College at Limerick and St. Patrick's College at Thurles, county Tipperary, where he spent five years. In October, 1879, he came to America and located in Dubuque, Iowa, where he finished his education and was ordained in August, 1881, at the cathedral, by Bishop Hennessy. His first appointment was as assistant to Father O'Dowd, of St. Mary's, temporarily, having remained there two months, then was sent to Boone, Iowa, for a short time, one month, thence to St. Rose, at Waucoma, Fayette county, Iowa. Then he was for a period of two years, by appointment, at St. Theresa, Jackson county, Iowa, then served St. Patrick's church at Nevada and Colorado. Then, after serving three years and six months on three charges, in 1898, he was appointed to the pastorate of St. Patrick's church, Washington township, Clinton county, and here he spends his entire time, having no other charge, and is doing his utmost for the material and spiritual welfare of his congregation, building up the church, as he has done in all his work, and  he is much beloved by all his congregation, being a faithful and devoted worker. The church was established by a missionary priest, the first services being held in a farm house, continuing thus until 1883, when the present substantial brick structure was erected, at a cost of twenty-five thousand dollars. J.J. Garland was pastor and Rt. Rev. J. Hennessy was bishop. The church has a fine altar and is beautifully decorated, spacious and attractive. After its organization the congregation was first served by Fr. Thomas McCormick, and the first baptism was administered to Michael McDermot in 1875. The first marriage celebrated here was that of Henry Winters and Sarah Showalters, by Rev. Fr McCormick. The good work has been carried on here by the following priests since his day: J.J. Gafiny, J. Garland, D. Reardon, T. Kiernan, Fr. Hennessy (nine months), John Maloy, and the subject who took up his work here in August, 1898. He has kept up the property and placed it in excellent condition, keeping the place sanitary, attractive and inviting, spending considerable money on the cemetery and bringing everything up to a high standard of excellence. An excellent water works system has been installed, hot and cold water being available, modern bath and up-to-date appliances, all at his own expense.
     Politically he is a Democrat, but reserves the right to vote for the man whom he deems worthiest to fill the office sought, and he makes no efforts to be a politician. He is a well educated, genial, good-natured and devout Christian gentleman.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     Among the substantial agriculturists of Allamakee county is Michael Kane, who owns a valuable farm of one hundred and eighty acres in Franklin township. A native of Ireland, he was born in County Limerick in 1848 and is a son of Michael and Bridget (Benson) Kane, both born in the same county. The father always followed farming and about 1852 crossed with his family to the United States, locating in Ohio, where he passed away. In that state the Kanes resided near Columbus. They only remained a short time in Ohio, whence they removed to Iowa. A sister of our subject, after her marriage, had gone to McGregor, this state and the family soon followed. The mother located near McGregor but later removed to this vicinity where she spent the remainder of her life, passing away in 1896. To Mr and Mrs Kane were born six children, of whom Michael Kane of this review was the third in order of birth.
     Michael Kane attended school in McGregor and at Monona, receiving but a limited education, as the facilities in those primitive pioneer days were not the best. After laying aside his school books he worked for a time for a Mr. Humphries in Monona, having started out in life when but eleven years of age in order to help his mother with the support of the family. He continued to contribute to the family exchequer until 1873, being employed as a farm hand, in which latter year he was enabled to acquire forty-five acres of land in Franklin township. This tract is now a part of the farm. As the years have passed prosperity has come to him as the result of his good judgment and his incessant labor and he now owns one hundred and eighty acres of the most fertile land to be found in this section, one-half of which he rents out, while he operates the balance himself. He engages in general farming and also gives some attention to stock, deriving a gratifying income from both lines of endeavor. He is a stockholder in the Cooperative Creamery Company and also belongs to the Shipping Association of Monona.
In September, 1898, Mr. Kane was united in marriage to Miss Mary Tiernan, a native of Ireland, where she was born in March, 1871. She is a daughter of Mr and Mrs John Tiernan, who always remained in the Emerald isle. Mrs. Kane arrived in this country about one year before her marriage, residing in New York City before arriving here, the ceremony taking place about one year later. To Mr and Mrs Kane have been born three children: Mary, whose birth occurred in May, 1900; Michael, who was born in April, 1902; and John, born in June, 1905. Mr. Kane is a devout member of the Roman Catholic church attending in Monona. Politically he is a democrat but has never aspired to public office, although he takes a laudable interest in local affairs. For some time he has served as school director and has done the best in his power to improve educational facilities here. Much credit is due him for what he has achieved for he started out in life empty-handed and even handicapped, as he not only had to support himself from earliest childhood but had even to help his mother rear the younger children. He enjoys in a large number the esteem and respect of all who know him, and such prosperity as has come to him is but the just reward of intelligent and incessant labor.


History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and
P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Patrick Norton, deceased, for many years engaged in the teaming and real estate business in Dubuque, was a native of the Emerald Isle, his birth occurring in County Limerick in the year 1821, and a son of Edmund and Annora Norton. In 1832 the family crossed the Atlantic ocean in a slow sailing vessel and after landing in America first located on a farm in New York state. They then removed to Vermont, but later came west to Higginsport, Iowa, where the father followed farming until his death. Patrick Norton received a common school education in his youth, and about 1837 came to Dubuque county, Iowa, at which time it was little more than a frontier locality, scarcely free from the presence of the Indians. Here for a time he engaged in draying and teaming and later dealt extensively in real estate building and renting homes and selling same on time payments. In 1842 Mr. Norton married Miss Amanda M.F. Key, who was a native of South Carolina and came with her parents to Dubuque at an early day. To them the following named children were born: Mary, Joseph S and Ellen C (deceased); John W., farming in Dubuque county; Annora (deceased); Edmund F. marketmaster at Dubuque; Daniel D, who was killed in the discharge of his duties as policeman in Dubuque; James P., jailor at Dubuque; Amanda and Patrick S., both of Dubuque. In March, 1868, when in the prime of life, Mr. Norton passed away, aged forty-seven, a man highly respected by all who knew him, and now lies at rest in Kelly's Bluff Cemetery. His widow, a fine and motherly old lady, yet survives him and resides at Dubuque. Many years ago, when Bishop Loras first visited this city, she entertained him in her home and is very proud of this fact. At the early age of sixteen she was converted to Catholicism, this being brought about by her intimate acquaintance with Father Kelley, whom she and several other young girls nursed during his illness. She has since been a staunch advocate of the Catholic religion and has reared her children in that faith to honorable and useful lives. Some four years ago Mrs. Norton met with a severe accident in the breaking of her collar bone, which, at her time of life, might easily have proved serious, but, through the careful and loving ministrations of her children, she recovered entirely and is at present in the enjoyment of the best of health. She takes great delight in the association of her children and is grandmother to fifteen and great-grandmother to two. She has hosts of friends throughout the county and is greatly beloved by all who know her.


History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and
P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Rev. Peter O'Malley, pastor of St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church, Dubuque, since 1898, is a son of John and Nora (Kennedy) O'Malley, and descended from an old Irish family. The parents were farmers in the old country and there died and were buried. Peter O'Malley, the immediate subject of this memoir, was born in the city of Limerick, February 8, 1866, and was primarily educated in the Jesuit College at that place. He early decided that his life had best be spent in the service of the Master, and accordingly in 1883 he entered St. Patrick's College, Thurles, County Tipperary. On June 24, 1890, at Maynooth, he was formally ordained to the priesthood by Archbishop Walsh, of Dublin, and in September of that year came to America and Dubuque, Iowa, and until March, 1892, was assistant priest in St. Patrick's Church. His next mission was at St. Theresa's Church, Jackson county, Iowa, and due largely to his efforts a fine brick edifice was erected at Lamotte, that county. There he remained until called to Dubuque as pastor of St. Anthony's Church to succeed Father Kenny. His teachings and labors in this community have been of the highest order and much good has been brought about by his able ministrations. He erected a new church and school house and has improved the pastorage. Father O'Malley stands very high in the estimation of the citizens of Dubuque county.


History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and
P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

The Rt. Rev. Roger Ryan, vicar general of the archdiocese of Dubuque, and on whom also the high church title of monsignor was bestowed in 1896, is a native of Cashel, County Limerick, Ireland, and the son of  John and Ellen (Coffey) Ryan, whose ancestry can be traced in a direct line for a period of 1,500 years. Both father and mother lived and died in their native country. Father Ryan was born on April 6, 1842, and after attending the parochial schools finished his scholastic training with a six years' course in Mount Melleray College, County Waterford, Ireland. He early determined to study for the priesthood and to spend his life in the service of the Master. In 1868 he crossed the Atlantic ocean to America, and on March 13, 1869, was formally ordained to the priesthood. Shortly thereafter he came to Dubuque, Iowa, and for a time was associated with St. Raphael's Cathedral, later being transferred to St. Patrick's parish, where he has since continued and become endeared to the hearts of all who know him and listen to his able ministrations and teachings. Dubuque county owes a good deal to the efforts of Father Ryan. He not only built the imposing St. Patrick's Church edifice, pastorage and school, but was one of the most instrumental in bringing about the erection of St. Joseph's College, and institution whose influence in the behalf of education and moral uplifting has been felt all over the Middle West.

Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties
Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1894

     REV. ROGER RYAN, pastor of St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Dubuque, is a native of the Emerald Isle.    He was born in that country, in County Limerick, on the 6th of April, 1843, and his education was acquired in Ireland. There he remained until twenty-three years of age, when, in 1866, he crossed the Atlantic to America. Here he entered Cape Girardeau College of Missouri, in which institution he spent three years, pursuing a thorough and systematic course of study, which well fitted him for his chosen life work.
         On the expiration of that period, Rev. Ryan went to Milwaukee, Wis., where he again spent some time taking a course of study in St. Francis Theological Seminary. He was ordained a priest at Milwaukee the 13th of March, 1869, by Archbishop Henni. The year 1869 witnessed his arrival in Dubuque, whither he came to become assistant at the cathedral.
Later, in October, 1869, he was appointed pastor of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, one of the largest and most wealthy churches in the city, the congregation numbering over two hundred and fifty families. There is a good house of worship, together with a nice parsonage, built in a modern style of architecture and tastefully and comfortably furnished. It is situated in
the midst of beautiful grounds adorned with all kinds of flowers and with roses from almost every clime. Rev. Ryan is a faithful worker in the interest of his church, untiring in his efforts to promote and upbuild it, and has the confidence and esteem of all his parishioners.

--Contributed by Becky Teubner


History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

Patrick Lane, farmer, P.O. Shelby, Shelby County, was born in County Limerick, Ireland, son of John and Honora (McCarty) Lane, natives of County Kerry, Ireland. John Lane was born in 1799, was a farmer by occupation and died in County Limerick, Ireland, in 1850. His wife died in New York City. They had two sons and two daughters, and of this family one son is deceased. Mr. Lane was educated in Ireland, and began life as a farmer, which occupation he followed in his native country. In 1847, he came to the United States, came to Clinton County in 1849, and the following year went to Tennessee, where he worked in the tunnel at Tunnel Hill, and while working there saved the life of a fellow workman- an act which he considers the best of his life. Returning to Iowa in 1851, he bought 320 acres of land in Clinton County at $1.25 per acre, sold one-half of the land for $6.15 per acre, invested the proceeds in stock, and succeeded well in all his undertakings. He was a foreman on the North Western Railway for some time. In 1874 he came to Pleasant Township, where in January, 1872, he had bought of J.P. Casady and Mr. Haas, of Council Bluffs, 640 acres of wild land at $6.50 per acre. He at the same time owned 200 acres in Clinton County, one of the best farms in that county, which he sold in May, 1874, for $9,500 cash, then moved to his section in this township. In 1874, he bought 830 acres of wild land at $9.50 cash per acre, and he now owns 1,550 acres of land, all clear of incumbrance, one of the finest stock or grain farms in the county. The Big Silver Creek runs through the farm, one-half of which is valley. The farm is located four and a half miles west of Avoca, and two and three-fourths south of Shelby. Mr. Lane carries on general farming, and frequently goes to Chicago to buy cattle. At Lyons, Clinton Co., Iowa, November 14, 1853, he married Mary Shannon, born in County Clare, Ireland, in March, 1832, daughter of Michael and Mary (Neylon) Shannon, natives of County Clare Ireland, he born in 1796, she in 1806. By this union they have been blessed with the following children: James, Patrick Henry, Mary, Margueretta, Katy and John (deceased). In politics Mr. Lane is a Democrat, but conservative in his views.


History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and
P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Rev. Michael Barry is one of the most widely known of the clergy of Dubuque. He was born in Limerick, Ireland and there received his classical and theological training. He was ordained to the priesthood July 5, 1885, and shortly thereafter came to the United States and for two years was stationed at Lycurgus, Iowa. He then came to Dubuque and for seven years was professor of Latin and Greek in St. Joseph's College. This position he filled until his appointment to the very responsible office of chancellor to Archbishop Keane, in which capacity he has served ever since.


The History of Linn County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     Lynch, Michael, farmer Sec. 12, P.O. Mt Vernon; born in County Limerick, Ireland in Sept. 1820; moved to Massachusetts in 1844; was employed in a foundry for 10 years; followed railroading and boating several years; moved to Linn county, Iowa in 1857. Married Catherine Lynch July 14, 1860 in Linn county, Iowa; she was born in Limerick in 1834. They have six children-Mary Ann, Elizabeth, John Thomas, James O'Connell, William Henry, Catherine Ellen. Mr. Lynch owns 137 acres of land, valued at $50 per acre. Mr. Lynch was section foreman for 20 years. Mr. and Mrs. Lynch are members of the Catholic church. Mr. Lynch is a democrat.


Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Webster and Hamilton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888.

John D. Flanagan, Cooper Township, is a representative farmer and business man, although he has been a resident in the county only since January, 1885, becoming widely and favorably known through his business transactions and the interest he manifests in local improvements. He is a native of Ireland, born in County Limerick, April 14, 1850. His early life was spent in school and when in his eighteenth year he began teaching, continuing that occupation until the day he left home for America. March 27, 1871 he took passage in the steamer City of Montreal, bound for New York about three months and then came west to Chicago, where he soon found employment as bookkeeper and cashier in the retail grocery store of William Sullivan on Elston Avenue, with whom he remained until 1876. He then returned home to visit his parents and in the fall of the same year returned to Chicago and took the position of bookkeeper and manager of the large business of P.K. Bowen, remaining with him four years. In the spring of 1881 he started in business for himself at 646 43d street, where he carried on a successful business until December, 1884, when he sold out and the next month located in Cooper Township. While in the mercantile business in Chicago his enterprise and energy prompted him to invest in other speculations in the pursuit of which he visited California and purchased some very valuable property in the city of Tacoma on Puget Sound, now the terminus of the Northern Pacific Railroad. He now owns and managed a stock farm and is also devoting some time and attention to buying and shipping live-stock. He is a shrewd business man who is likely to make a success of any business venture he may make. In politics he is an ardent supporter of the Democratic party. He was married September 13, 1882, to Mary C. Broderick, who was a native of Ireland. They have two children- May, born July 1, 1883, and Maud, born May 24, 1886.


Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties
Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1894

      RICHARD HUMPHRY, a retired farmer who is now making his home in the village of Monona, Clayton County, still owns a tract of twenty acres of land which is within the corporate limits of the place. For about thirty successive years he has made his home in this county with the exception of two years when he was in California. For a number of years he engaged in the cultivation of a fine farm of two hundred acres in Giard Township, which he
is still the possessor of, now renting the same. In various local township offices he has acquitted himself to the satisfaction of all, and numbers a host of warm friends in this locality, which has been his home for so many years.
     A native of the Emerald Isle, our subject was born in County Limerick, November 25, 1835, being a son of Richard and Mary (Coffee) Humphry, natives of Limerick and County Tipperary, respectively. The parents came to America with their family in 1847, and the father died in Quebec aged fifty-seven years. His wife, who survived him for a number of years, departed this life in Monona when in her sixty-eighth year. By her marriage she became the mother of five sons and two daughters, of whom Richard is the fourth in order of birth.
     A lad of twelve years when he arrived in the United States, Richard Humphry went to Wisconsin and then to Clayton County in 1852, after a sojourn of a year and a-half in Canada. Locating on an unimproved farm in Monona Township, he engaged in its cultivation for five years in company with the other members of the family. Later they divided the farm and in 1859 our subject started for the Pacific Slope, going across the plains with ox-teams by way of Salt Lake City. Arriving in Placerville, Cal., he there engaged in mining for three years, and in 1862 returned to this county by way of the Isthmus of Panama and New York City. In 1866 Mr. Humphry once more returned to the Golden State, where he remained for two years and then embarked for home by the same route. It was then that he took up his farm of two hundred acres in Giard Township and settled down to devote his active life to its cultivation and development.  He made a good farm of the place, greatly increasing its value, and this old homestead he has never had the heart to part with, but now leases it to tenants. For a period of two years he was engaged in the grain business, making shipments to Chicago, Milwaukee and other points.
         In 1867 Mr. Humphry married Honora Looney, a native of Amboy, Ill., born July 3, 1851. Her father, John Looney, was a native of Ireland and one of the early settlers in the Prairie State. Mr. and Mrs. Humphry have two children, Marian, who was born in this county June 24, 1868, and Richard B., whose birth occurred March 22, 1870.  The daughter, who is a
fine musician, attended St. Mary's Institute of Prairie du Chien, Wis., for some time, there receiving a good education. The son is a graduate from the Law Department of Iowa State University and is a young man of promise. For four years Richard Humphry was a Township Trustee and has also served as School Director, He is one of the stockholders in the Clayton County Farmers' Mutual Insurance Company. In his political convictions he is a Democrat and a worker in the cause.

~ Submitted by Becky Teubner


Harlan, Edgar Rubey. A Narrative History of the People of Iowa. Vol IV. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931

p. 236

    JAMES HENNESSY, physician and surgeon at Emmetsburg, has practiced medicine there longer than any of his contemporaries. Doctor Hennessy has done his professional work well, and no citizen has a larger body of loyal and devoted friends. He is a splendid specimen of physical manhood, tall and straight, six feet, four inches high and the lines on his face indicate his kindly character and a disposition for helpfulness which has been manifested in all his work.
    Doctor Hennessy was born in County Limerick, Ireland, September 24, 1875. He comes of a remarkable family, being the youngest of sixteen children of Roger and Catherine (Russell) Hennessy. His parents lived all their lives in Ireland. Dr. James Hennessy is the only representative of this family to come to America. A number of his nieces and nephews are older than himself. Five sons took up medicine as a career. The oldest son, after qualifying himself for practice, encouraged the younger brother to go to school. Roger Hennessy died when his youngest child, James, was two and a half years old.
    Doctor Hennessy received his education in Queen's College of Medicine at Cork and the Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians at Dublin, and after coming to America he graduated from Keokuk Medical College at Keokuk, Iowa, in 1906. For a quarter of a century he has been in practice in Palo Alto County, for a short time at Graettinger, and since then at Emmetsburg. Doctory Hennessy for the past ten years has served as county coroner He is a member of the Palo Alto County, Upper Des Moines and Iowa State Medical Associations. In politics he votes as a Republican and is a member of the Catholic Church and the Emmetsburg Council, Knights of Columbus.
    He married Miss Bridie Davis, a native of Canada. They have two children, Russell, born November 14, 1904, and Catherine Louise, born February 14, 1908, graduated from State University of Iowa with A.B. degree in 1929 and is now employed in the office of Ayers Lumber Company of Iowa City.