THE IRISH IN IOWA

Biographies of Those Who Came From Ireland

WEBB

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

Henry Webb will long be remembered as one of the most successful farmers Allamakee county has known and as a man of remarkable ability whose judgment was seldom at fault and whose fidelity to trust and sincerity in anything which he undertook were never questioned. For forty-one years he was a resident of this section of Iowa and here he spent and active, useful and honorable life, terminating in his death on the 27th of March, 1905. He was born in Livingston, New York, September 26, 1839, and was a son of John and Elizabeth (Webb) Webb, of Irish descent, who resided on a farm near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for a number of years. In the fall of 1864 they came to Iowa and in this state spent the remainder of their lives. The father was born in 1803 and died in 1870, while the mother was born in 1797 and died in 1887.
Henry Webb acquired his education in the public schools of Wisconsin and there grew to manhood. In the spring of 1864 he came to Iowa, settling near Postville, where he obtained a position in a grain elevator but was later employed at the depot. In the year of his arrival here he was married and he made his home with his wife's parents until the following spring, when he rented a farm one mile east of Postville, upon which he continued to reside for one year. At the end of that time he purchased the property, which comprised one hundred and twenty acres, and upon this he carried forward the work of cultivation for ten years finally selling the farm and buying another, upon which his widow now resides. Mr. Webb turned his attention with characteristic energy to the improvement and development of his land, carrying on the work along progressive and modern lines, success steadily rewarding his well directed labor. The property became a valuable one, equipped with fine buildings and labor saving machinery and reflecting everywhere the care and supervision of a practical and able agriculturist. Mr. Webb built his home in the midst of a beautiful evergreen grove and here he resided until his death, which occurred March 27, 1905.
On the 29th of November, 1864, Mr. Webb was united in marriage to Miss Rozilla Dresser, who was born in Champaign county, Ohio, on the 18th of February, 1845. She is a daughter of Calvin and Sallie (Hawkins) Dresser, the former a native of Canada and the latter of New Hampshire. The father, who spent his entire active life engaged in farming, remained a resident of Ohio, until 1855, when he located on a farm just north of Postville, which he cleared and improved, developing and excellent and valuable farm. There he died May 14, 1892, when he was seventy-eight years of age. His wife survived him only a short time, dying when she was eighty-one. In their family were twelve children, of whom Mrs. Webb was the eighth in order of birth. Mr. and Mrs. Webb became the parents of six children: Lucy Augusta, who was born July 16, 1869, and married C.P. Smith, a farmer living in the vicinity of Postville; Melissa Arvilla, who was born on the 1st of December, 1870, and is now the wife of Jean Owen, a farmer in Winneshiek county; Ida Jane, whose birth occurred on the 29th of November, 1872, and who became the wife of John Staadt, engaged in farming near Ottawa, Kansas; Herman D., who was born January 14, 1875, and resides at home; Bertha May, who was born July 3, 1877, and married Adolph Thias, a clerk in Portland, Oregon; and Eva Blanche, who was born April 24, 1879, and married George Fay, a druggist in Postville. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Webb has added forty acres to the homestead and manages the property in an able and successful manner. She is a woman of high ideals and lovable character and holds the respect, confidence and high regard of all with whom she comes in contact.
Mr. Webb gave his allegiance to the republican party but never desired political honors, his interests centering in his home and his farming operations. He was a kind parent, a true friend and firm upholder of the law, a citizen whose work made a lasting impression upon those with whom he came into contact and upon the region where he made his home.

EVANS

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

Clarence A. Evans, one of the industrious and substantial farmers of Jefferson township, owns and operates a fine property of one hundred and eighty acres on sections 9 and 10 and is also farming a large tract of land adjoining. One hundred and sixty acres constitutes the homestead upon which he was born March 31, 1871. He is a son of Charles Evans, who was born in Ireland in 1832 and who remained in his native country until he was six years of age. He then crossed the Atlantic to America and in 1853 settled in Allamakee county, Iowa. For some time thereafter he followed teaming and by the exercise of thrift and economy managed to save enough money to purchase an eighty acres tract of land in Paint Creek township. He made some improvements upon it and farmed there for several years, later disposing of his holdings and entering a government claim of forty acres. This property formed the nucleus of an extensive farm, for he added to it from time to time and eventually became the proprietor of one hundred and sixty acres. This he cleared, fenced and improved, making it a valuable and productive farm and becoming one of the well known and prosperous agriculturists of this township. He still resides upon his holdings. He married Mrs. William Bordwell, nee Martha Beeman, a daughter of Cyrus Beeman, who was numbered among the first settlers in this part of Iowa.
Clarence A. Evans is one of a family of two children by his father's second marriage, the other being a daughter, Elvida, the wife of Rev. A. Allison, a minister of the Presbyterian church and now pastor at Oregon, Wisconsin. Clarence A. Evans was reared upon his father's homestead and acquired his education in the public schools of Jefferson township. From his childhood he assisted with the farm duties and after he had attained his majority assumed charge of the property, upon which he still resides and which under his careful supervision is daily increasing in value. He owns one hundred and eighty acres of land, successfully engaging in general farming and stock-raising. He is especially interested in the conduct of his dairy and raises fine cattle and a number of hogs and horses every year.
Mr. Evans married, on the 21st of November, 1900, Miss Edith Durant, who was born and reared in Winnebago county and previous to her marriage taught in the public schools. Mr. and Mrs. Evans have two sons, Horace and Leslie. Mr. Evans is widely and favorably known in the township where his entire life has been spent and where his industry, honesty and success have gained him place with the representative and substantial agriculturists and the progressive and public-spirited citizens.

McDONALD

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

Will McDonald, flour merchant, Neola, was born in Illinois September 4, 1856, son of John and Bessie (McAlhaney) McDonald, natives of Ireland; he, born about 1832, is now engaged in business in Oakland, Iowa; she, born about 1835, died December 3, 1878, in Washington Territory, where she had gone for her health. The parents had four children--Ella, Jennie, Thomas and Will. After a common schooling, Mr. McDonald learned the trade of a miller. He worked at farming till 1878, when he went to Washington Territory to attend his mother, who was ill; remained there a year, until the death of his mother, and, returning to Illinois, he located on a farm in Shelby County, near the town of Defiance. After six months in the latter place, he engaged in milling for a short time, and was then appointed manager of the Neola Exchange Mill, which position he fills to the satisfaction of all interested. This mill was opened in April, 1880, and does a large business. Mr. McDonald was married, September 1. 1880, in Council Bluffs, Iowa, to Lottie Dingman, born in Council Bluffs December 28, 1861, daughter of John B and Martha A (Ritter) Dingman, he born in Canada October 16, 1828, she born in Virginia September 18, 1837. Mr and Mrs McDonald have one child, Theodore Lionel, born June 26, 1881. Mr. McDonald is a member of the Iowa Legion of Honor, and in politics is a Republican.

FORD

The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa...by Robert E. Flickinger. Fonda: G. Sanborn, 1904.

Ford, Walter, (b. 1833), one of the most prominent and successful pioneers of Lizard township, and honored by a seat on the Board of County Supervisors 1874 to 1876, was a native of Ireland. At the age of 17 he came to America with his elder sister, Ellen- Mrs. Patrick McLarney- and niece, and located at Ellsworth, Maine, where he found employment in the pineries and remained four years. In April, 1856, he came to Pocahontas county and located a claim on the ne1/4 sec. 13, Lizard township. In 1859 he went to Louisiana, and the next year to Philadelphia, where in May, 1860, he married Mary, daughter of John Garvey. In 1861, returning to Fort Dodge and finding employment, first as a teamster and later as a contractor, he remained there until the spring of 1870, when he again located on his claim in Lizard township, which, in the meantime, had been occupied by Michael O'Shea and William Price. He improved this farm with good buildings and occupied it for 24 years. His wife died in 1882, and in 1884 he moved to Clare where he still resides.
In making his first trip to the frontier in 1856, he paid the Stage Company at Dubuque $14.00 for his passage to Fort Dodge. When he arrived at Iowa Falls the Iowa river, which had no bridge or ferry, was overflowing its banks, and the stage driver in formed the passengers they would have to wait there until the river could be forded before they could be carried to Fort Dodge. Three of them, Mrssrs. Ford, Haney and A.T. Blackshire demanded the return of part of their fares, but were refused with a repitition of the previous announcement. These three men, crossing the river in a skiff, walked the remaining 60 miles, carrying their valises, and received their trunks three months later.
On his return to the farm in 1870 he again began to take a prominent part in the management of the public affairs in the township and county. He received a good education, was a neat penman and no one enjoyed more fully than he, the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens. He served as County Supervisor three years, as Assessor three years and as a Justice eleven years. He has been a member of the Catholic church from his infancy, was a liberal supporter of the Lizard church and furnished the outline of its history that appears in this volume.

BOYD

The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa...by Robert E. Flickinger. Fonda: G. Sanborn, 1904.

Boyd, James, after whom the Boyd school district, No. 4 was named, was a native of Ireland, where he married and raised two sons, Arthur and William. On coming to this country he lived several years in the Province of Ontario, Can., and in 1866, located in Lizard township, where he and Arthur secured homesteads on sec. 34 and William on sec. 36. All of them left the county about the year 1874.

LEONARD

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

P. Leonard, farmer, P.O. Neola, was born in Ireland March 18, 1818, son of Mark and Agnes (Durkin) Leonard, natives of Ireland; he, born in 1776, was a farmer and died in his native country; she died in Ireland, and was the mother of eight children, two of whom came to America. Mr. Leonard learned theoretical and practical surveying in Ireland. He came to America July 12, 1841, landing at the port of St. John, N.B., where he remained eight years, teaching school six years of his time. He left New Brunswick in May, 1849, and, after traveling in the States of Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania, he located in Middlesex County, province of Ontario, where he taught one school eight consecutive years, and another seven. While teaching, he boarded on his farm, which he conducted at the same time, waling to and from his farm, a distance of seven miles each day. He continued farming in Canada till April, 1872, when he came to Neola, Iowa, and settled on the southeast quarter of Section 26, where he still resides. This first quarter has been improved, 200 acres added to it, and the whole inclosed by fence. Mr. Leonard married Miss Ann Van Tassel, born in Queen's County, N.B., in 1820, daughter of Reuben and Sarah (Foster) Van Tassel, he born in New Brunswick about 1788, she born in New Brunwick in 1801. Mr. and Mrs. Leonard have had ten children, five of whom have taught school; two are dead. Mr. Leonard is President of the Board of School Trustees, which position he has held for the past five years. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and a Democrat in politics.

GREEN

History of Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa; Will L. Clark, et al.;  Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1890-91

Thomas Green, brick manufacturer, Sioux City, is a son of Patrick and Ellen (Higgins) Green, and was born in Ireland in the year 1837. He immigrated to this country with the other members of the family in 1849,and located at Taunton, Mass. His father, who was a farmer in the old country, desiring to get a farm of his own, moved to Dixon county, Neb., and took claim on a creek, near Ponca, in the spring of 1857, six months before the land was surveyed by the government. The subject of our sketch stayed with the family, helping to open up the new farm, until the following spring when he left home to do for himself, little dreaming that he was bidding a last farewell to his mother and father. He went to St. Joseph, Mo., where he stayed about a year, thence to Natchez, Miss., where he remained another year, working at brickmaking in both places. About this time the war of the rebellion broke out, and, being carried away by the excitement of the times, he was induced to enter the Confederate service, in which he served until taken a prisoner at Mission Ridge. The prisoners taken at that time were sent to Rock Island, Ill. There were about 8,000 collected there in a short time, among them many whose sentiments were really with the north, and who never heartily sympathized with the rebellion. From this class was organized a regiment for service on the plains against the Indians, called the Third United States volunteer infantry. Mr. Green was a sergeant in Company B, in this regiment, and served until honorably mustered out in the fall of 1865. Early in the following spring he went to Denver, Colo., and resumed his old business of manufacturing brick. He, in partnership with a party named Watkins, made the first brick ever made in Boulder City, Colo. After a varied experience of successes and reverses, he came to Sioux City in the spring of 1869, and went into the brick making business at the suburb which is now called Greenville. The name was given to the place soon after he located there. May 2, 1876, he married Miss Helena O'Connor, daughter of Capt. O'Connor, of Homer, Neb. He has always taken a leading part in the brick business in Sioux City since locating here, being at the present time general manager and treasurer of the Sioux City Brick and Tile Works, the largest works of the kind in the state, and an institution which he was principally instrumental in putting in its present prosperous condition. Mr. and Mrs. Green have been blessed with a family of six children, all of whom are living except one: Ella C., born April 15, 1877; Cornelius F., born July 6, 1879; Thomas W., born September 25, 1881; Charles E, deceased; Catherine M., born April 15, 1886, and Julius L, born September 4, 1888. Mr. Green is a member of the Roman Catholic church, and in his political views upholds the principles of the republican party.

KILLION

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

P.A. Killion, farmer, P.O. Neola, was born in Scott County, Iowa, June 29, 1856; he is the son of John H. and Catharine Killion. His father was born in Ireland in 1827; he was a farmer and early settler in Scott County, Iowa, and also came and located in this county at an early day; he is still living in this county; he landed in Rhode Island when he came from the old country, while he was a boy. He worked in the Philip Island Print works for twelve years, when he came to Scott County, as before stated. His (subject's) mother was a native of Rhode Island, born about 1829 and died November 2, 1868. Our subject received a common school education. he lived at home until he was twenty-two years of age, when he began farming for himself in this county; he is unmarried; he has five brothers and two sisters- James, John, Henry, Charles, George, Annie and Emily. John lives in Spearfish Valley ,Dakota, Charles in Cass County, this State, while the rest are in this county. Annie is the wife of Samuel Gayman, and Emily keeps house for our subject, who owns 120 acres of improved land in Section 3, York Township.

QUIGLEY

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Patrick J. Quigley, for the past thirty years business manager of the Telegraph-Herald, Dubuque, is one of Dubuque's representative men. He was born on a farm near Binghamton, New York, June 1, 1837, and is a son of John and Catherine Quigley. The father, a native of Ireland, immigrated to America in 1825, locating in Pennsylvania and later removing to Illinois. In 1847 he came to Dubuque county, and here followed farming until his death, which occurred in 1860 at the age of seventy years. His wife died in Dubuque in 1884, aged eighty-four years. Patrick J. Quigley was primarily educated in the country schools of his native county and Dubuque, and also assisted his father in the work of the home farm. In 1854 he started surveying in Minnesota, continuing thus some time, and upon the death of his father helped to support his mother and sister. In 1863 he located on his brother-in-law's farm near Sageville, then came to the city of Dubuque and opened a grocery store on First street and also became interested in the grain and lumber business. In 1868 Mr. Quigley took a trip West and upon his return was elected clerk of the circuit and district courts, which position he held from 1871 to 1881. In the latter year he became one of the organizers of the Dubuque Telegraph and half owner of the publication, and has remained thus connected ever since. On November 1, 1901, the Herald and the Telegraph were consolidated, and the publication became known as the Telegraph-Herald. Mr. Quigley has always been the business manager, and at present owns 75 per cent of the stock. He is an independent Democrat in his political views, and when but twenty-one years old was elected and served as justice of the peace, prior to his removal from Jefferson township. In religion he is of the Roman Catholic faith. In 1878, at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Mary L. Vanevery, daughter of Charles Gisso, and to them one son, Joseph C, circulating manager of the Telegraph-Herald has been born.

O'CONNOR

The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.

Michael O'Connor; P.O. Bellevue; born in Ireland in 1823; came to America in 1848; settled in Jackson Co., Richland, and entered 280 acres of land in Sec. 25; wife was born in Scotland and has been in America forty years. They were married in Jackson Co; have three children living, lost two; his wife was the widow of Mr. Dougherty; has two children by former marriage.

JENKINS

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

A history of the pioneer settlement of Allamakee county contains the record of no more worthy, upright, and honorable man than Jonathan Jenkins, who came to this part of Iowa in 1852 and who has since that time borne and active and useful part in its upbuilding and development. Through his untiring energy, industry and well directed activity he has evolved from an unimproved tract the valuable farm in Ludlow township which is his today and has achieved a success which places him among the men of weight and influence in the township where he makes his home.
Mr. Jenkins was born in Ireland and he grew to manhood in his native country, acquiring a public-school education. As a young man he crossed the Atlantic to America and soon after his arrival settled in Iowa, working at any occupation which would bring him an income. He soon afterward purchased land in Ludlow township, Allamakee county, and began clearing the timber, making his home in a wagon under an oak tree while doing this work. With the logs which he cut down he erected a little cabin and here he resided for many years thereafter, steadily and with characteristic energy carrying forward the work of clearing, improving and developing his land. He erected fences around his fields and in the course of time built a substantial residence, a commodious barn and the necessary outbuildings, developing from an uncultivated tract a modern and productive farm. The years brought him not only success but the esteem, confidence and high regard of his neighbors and he is today one of the prosperous and substantial men of Ludlow township. He owns one hundred and sixty acres in the home place and two tracts of pasture land adjoining, one comprising eighty acres and the other two hundred. He carries on general farming and also engages in dairying and a number of horses. He was one of the promoters of the Ludlow Cooperative Creamery Association, in which he is now a stockholder, and his ability is widely recognized in business circles.
     Mr. Jenkins married Miss Catherine Evans, a native of Pennsylvania, who came in her childhood to Allamakee county. She was born December 31, 1836 and passed away December 11, 1908, within a few days of her seventy-second birthday, which would have been her fiftieth wedding anniversary. Their marriage occurred in waukon, when that thriving city was only a crossroad village. Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins became the parents of seven children now living. Joseph W. and John W. are aiding in the operation of the home farm. John W. is married and has three children, Catherine, John C., and Herbert M. The other children born to Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins are as follows: Sarah, who married W.A. Wamsley, of Dexter, Kansas; Ellen, the wife of I.M. Petersen, of McIntire , Iowa; Martha, who married R.H. Waters, of Frankville, Iowa; Eliza, the wife of L.L. Miller, of Ludlow township; and, Mary, who is her father's housekeeper. Miss Mary Jenkins was educated in the schools of Waukon, Decorah and Fayette and engaged in teaching in Allamakee county for ten years. She and her brother John are members of the Waukon Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Jenkins is also a regular attendant and member, guiding his honorable and upright life by the principles in which he believes. A resident of Allamakee county for over sixty years, he has witnessed a great deal of the development of this section of Iowa, his own labors proving valuable forces in promoting growth. He is widely and favorably known in Ludlow township and holds a high place in business and farming circles as well as in the ranks of Iowa's honored and successful pioneer citizens.

MARTIN

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Robert Martin, a native of Ireland and a carpenter by trade, was born in July, 1822. His parents, Andrew and Bessie (Jackson) Martin, were also natives of Ireland, the former seeing military service under the Duke of Wellington. Andrew Martin and wife had six children: Andrew, Robert, William, John, Martha and Eliza. John was the first of the family to come to America, then Andrew, and then Robert and his widowed mother. The daughters remained in the old country. It was during President Pierce's administration that Robert and his widowed mother came here. After living for a time in Connecticut they moved to Cedar County, Iowa, and from there in 1857 to Cascade, where Robert worked at his trade. Many buildings in Cascade yet stand as a monument to his skill as a master craftsman. Previous to coming to this country Robert Martin had served in the constabulary of Ireland and, owing to his military training when the Civil War broke out in this country, he was called upon to assist in drilling recruits. In 1858 he married Margaret Crawford, who was born March 17, 1837, one of the following named children born to Thomas and Ellen (Stewart) Crawford: Aleckander and Margaret (both of whom died in Ireland); Ann, Jane, Ellen, Thomas, David, Margaret, Mary and Robert. Mr. and Mrs. Crawford were married in County Down, Ireland, the former being a son of Daniel and Margaret (McKenzie) Crawford. They came to this country at an early day and located in Connecticut where they died. Robert Martin was hard working and industrious. He saved his earnings and bought a farm in Cascade Township in 1880 and there resided until his death, January 2, 1903. Mr. Martin was reared an Episcopalian in religion, but after coming to America he united with the United Presbyterians and for thirty-six years was an elder in that church. He possessed high courage, was mentally a giant, had unbounded physical activity, and his memory will long endure in the hearts and minds of surviving relatives and friends. His children are as follows: William Andrew, born January 10, 1859, married Susan Jane Niblo, is the father of eight children and resides in Jones county, Iowa; David A., born May 29, 1861, married Emma J. Sullivan, who died August, 1899, had two children- Myrle and Nona-and died February 19, 1904; Robert J., farmer of Jones County, born October 4, 1863; married Mary A. Linderman, who died August 29, 1910, leaving two children- Viola and Evelyn; John Stuart, born June 14, 1868, a farmer of Cascade township; Thomas M., born March 17, 1872, now managing the old home farm; and Israel Abner, born June 8, 1874 and also living on the old homestead.

HOGAN

History of Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa; Will L. Clark, et al.;  Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1890-91

H.F. Hogan, plumber and gas-fitter, Sioux City, is a native of Ireland, and came to America with his parents when seven years old. They settled in Chicago, and our subject was reared in that city, where he commenced to learn the plumbing business when twelve years of age. He came to Sioux City in 1872, and was the first plumber here. he was married in this city to Ellen T., daughter of John Kelly. Mr. Hogan has been successful in his line of business and this success is due to his own efforts. He owns considerable property here and also in Chicago. he is a member of the Roman Catholic church, and is an independent democrat in politics.

FRAINEY

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

James Frainey, merchant tailor, Council Bluffs, was born in Connaught, Ireland, in 1837, where he remained until he was seven years of age, when he removed with his parents to Lancashire, England. He served his apprenticeship to the tailor's trade in England, and in 1852 came to this country and located in New York City. He worked at his trade in that city for two years, then removed to Chicago; after working there for two years, moved to St. Louis, Mo.; and, after working there a year, returned to New York City. He pursued his trade in that city for a year, then in Charleston, S.C., for a year, then went on to Nashville, Tenn., where he began as a cutter and remained there for four years. From Nashville he went to St. Louis, Mo., remained there four or five years then came to Omaha, opened up a shop there for himself, and in 1870 came to Council Bluffs. Here he ran a shop a short time then engaged as a cutter with Oberfelder & Newman, with whom he remained until the summer of 1882, when he opened up his fine merchant tailoring establishment at 332 Broadway. He carries one of the finest and newest stocks in his line in the city, and is meeting with an extensive patronage. He employs eighteen men constantly and pays the highest price for skilled labor. In 1872 he married Miss Mary J. Buckley, of Beloit, Wis., and by this union have six children.

SHANLEY

History of Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa; Will L. Clark, et al.;  Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1890-91

James F. Shanley, chief of police, Sioux City, is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in 1860. He is a son of John Shanley, of Ireland, who was inspector for the government for a number of years. He began life as a bootblack, and from that position he rose to messenger boy for the government. He then became C.S. for United States attorney, T.C. Sullivan, and then was clerk and afterward store-keeper. He remained in the employ of the government until ten years ago. He was employed by the city as watchman, then as superintendent of the city markets, then as deputy marshal, and finally as city marshal, which office he held two terms. In March, 1889, he was appointed chief of police, which position he now holds. He is a member of the Roman Catholic church, and takes the democratic side in politics.

NELON

History of Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa; Will L. Clark, et al.;  Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1890-91

     James Nelon was born in Oswego county, N.Y., in 1845, a son of Dennis and Mary (Hunt) Nelon, who were natives of Ireland. His opportunities for obtaining an education were somewhat limited. He attended public schools until sixteen years of age, and then engaged in the service of a ship that was sailing on the lakes. After six years' service he came west to Sioux City, and worked at the carpenter's trade. Later, he was elected to the police force, in which he served three years, then went to the Black Hills, but soon returned and engaged in teaming.
     In 1872 he was returned to the police force; later was made deputy sheriff, but subsequently served as policeman, which he continued until 1885, when he went into business. In the fall of 1889 he was made chief of police and held this position until March, 1890, when he retired. Since that time he has been engaged in no active business. In August, 1876, Mr. Nelon married Rosemond Dragor, a native of West Virginia. In his politics he is a republican, and is identified with the Roman Catholic church.

HARRINGTON

History of Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa; Will L. Clark, et al.;  Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1890-91

   Michael Harrington, an old settler now residing in Salix, Woodbury county, was born in Ireland about 1842, a son of Michael and Mary (Egan) Harrington, both natives of Ireland. Michael Harrington, Sr., died about 1849 in Massachusetts; his widow is still living and resides near Fort Dodge, Iowa; both were members of the Roman Catholic church. Our subject came with his parents to America when he was fiver years of age, and resided with his mother until he was twenty-two years old. He received a high-school education, and attended college in Wisconsin one year. He then engaged in teaching school about two years, after which he took contracts for railroad work for seven years. He built part of  the railroad between Salix and Sargeant's Bluff.
     In 1877 he moved to Sioux City, where he resided three years, then moved to Salix, where he has remained ever since. He owns 200 acres of improved land in Liberty township, which he has rented; he also loans money. Politically he is independent in his views; he is a member of the Farmers' Alliance. Mr. Harrington married Jane O'Connor in 1879 and to this union were born four children: Thomas M., Mary, Agnes T., and Ignatius. Both he and his wife are members of the Roman Catholic church. September 26, 1876, Mr. Harrington was admitted to the bar to practice law.

BLANEY

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

     William H. Blaney, farmer, P.O. Griswold, Cass Co., Iowa, was born in New York City February 17, 1835, son of John and Roshanna (Crook) Blaney, he born in Ireland and she in England, died on Long Island in 1865. They had two children, both still living. Subject received a common school education; commenced life as a carriage and wagon maker, and married about 1853, in New Jersey, Catharine Noggle, born in New York September 3, 1816, daughter of William and Leah (Bogart) Noggle, both born in New York, and both died there. Subject has held several township offices; worked for the United States government from 1861 to August 1863, repairing wagons at Ft. Monroe; also in South Carolina in 1864, and Nashville through the fall of 1864 and 1865. In 1865 he went to Pennsylvania; worked in the oil regions until the winter of 1868, when he went to Illinois, staying one month; thence to this county, in company with John Noggle; thence to Wyoming Territory, where he worked on the U.P.R.R. in the repair shops for one year. Returning to this county, in 1869, he bought forty acres of land at $5.50 per acre, and now owns eighty acres, valued at $35 per acre. There is a fine young orchard, all kinds of small fruits and a fine grove on the place. Mr. and Mrs. Blaney have two children-George W. And Rosa-both born in New York City. Subject is a republican.

BRACELIN

Biographical History and Portrait Gallery of Scott County...1895; American Biog Publ.

     Of Dr. Bracelin it may be said the he in not only noted as one of the pioneers of this region, but also as one of those strong, self-reliant men who, having been dependent upon himself since early youth, has come to regard ordinary obstacles in the way of his progress as mere trifles which vanish like shadows when attached with zeal and determination.
     His parents- John Bracelin, a weaver by trade, and Sarah (Brogan) Bracelin-came from the North of Ireland to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1832. In the latter place Patrick M. Bracelin was born, February 14, 1840, and with his parents years later-in 1854-came to Clayton County, Iowa. He had received a partial education in the public schools of his native city, but in Iowa his opportunities for intellectual development were by no means all that he might have desired. In spite of his discouragements, however, and when the chances seemed that he would be compelled to follow an uncongenial occupation, he studied assiduously when time could be spared from his farm work. At the age of seventeen he had fitted himself to teach a winter school. He continued teaching until he was twenty-five years of age, giving it up then to engage in business. He then opened a store in De Witt, Clinton County, but soon turned his attention to the profession in which he has since attained high standing in the City of Davenport. With the same diligence and close application that had made him successful as a school-teacher, he applied himself to the study of medicine in spare moments in his store at De Witt, and in 1872 he entered the medical department of the State University of Iowa City, from which he graduated in 1875. He remained in Iowa City a few months, engaging in active practice, and then located in Davenport, where he quickly began to build a large practice.
     Dr. Bracelin has practiced almost continuously here since 1875, although in the spring of 1888 he went to Omaha with the intention of remaining permanently in that city. He gave up the idea, however, after a two months' visit and returned to Iowa, going to Crawford County where his brother and sister reside. He found country practice uncongenial and, therefore, in the spring of 1891, after an absence of three years, he resumed  his practice in Davenport.
     He has not only practiced medicine with great success, but has given much thought and time to some valuable inventions, among which might be mentioned an improved truss for the cure of rupture, a pessary, an inhaler, and a proprietary medicine for the cure of throat and lung diseases, particularly diphtheria and pneumonia.
     Dr. Bracelin is identified with the Scott County Medical Society and the Ancient Order of Hibernians. In religion he is a Catholic and in politics a Democrat.
     He was married in 1867, in Clinton County, to Susan Theresa Tiernan, daughter of Michael and Susan Tiernan. Of nine children born to them, three- two girls and a boy-died in infancy. Those living are: John T., Francis, William E. L., Henry, Robert Emmet and Helena Susan.

GRIFFIN

From: History of Crawford County, Iowa...by F. W. Meyers. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J.
Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.

      Although he has passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey, John Griffin continues to be quite actively engaged in general farming and stock-raising on his excellent farm in Washington township. He was born in Ireland in March, 1829, being the eldest child of Thomas and Anna (Lillis) Griffin. The parents, who were also natives of the Emerald isle, spent their entire lives in the land of their birth, where the father engaged in farming. Five children were born to them, the other four being as follows: Margaret, the wife of John McDonald, living in the state of New York; Bridget, who married John Eustis, residing at Pond Beach, New York; Kate, deceased; and Thomas, whose whereabouts are unknown.
     John Griffin obtained his education in Ireland, remaining a subject of the British crown until he had passed his twenty-second year, at which time he resolved to become an American citizen. Upon his arrival in the United States he resolved to become an American citizen. Upon his arrival in the United States he first located in Louisiana, where he remained for one year, and then spent one summer in St. Louis, Missouri, after which he went to Davenport, where he lived for a year, and then returned to Louisiana, spending the winter there. In the spring he went to Memphis, Tennessee, where he remained until the close of the Civil war, when he came to Iowa, first locating in Clinton county and later removing to Crawford county and settling in Dennison township, where he farmed as a renter for about twelve years. He then bought the farm in Washington township, where he now resides. Mr. Griffin has always been an energetic and enterprising man and has met with more than moderate success in his agricultural pursuits, being regarded as one of the substantial farmers in his community.
     Mr. Griffin was united in marriage in 1862 at Memphis, Tennessee, to Miss Mary Carey, a native of County Clare, Ireland. Nine children were born of this union as follows: Thomas, who is living in Nebraska; Anne, residing in Council Bluffs; Mollie and Patrick, who are at home; John, a resident of Omaha, Nebraska; James, living at the same place; Margaret, the wife of Jesse Bennett; Katie, the wife of Willis Wiggins of Dow City; and Mitchell, deceased. Mr. Griffin also reared three children belonging to his son Thomas: John, Grace and Gertrude.
     The family are communicants of the Roman Catholic church. Mr. Griffin has always been independent in his political views, giving his support to such men and measures as he has always felt were adapted to promote the best interests of the people. He has not been an aspirant for public office but is at present serving as a school director. During the long period of his residence in Crawford county he has shown himself to be a man well worthy of the esteem which is accorded him.


  


Return to Iowa Irish


Comments, Suggestions, Contributions, Criticism or Praise?

2001 Cathy Joynt Labath