THE IRISH IN IOWA

Biographies of Those Who Came From Ireland

  WALSH

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

No farmer in Allamakee county has achieved greater success in agricultural pursuits than Michael Martin Walsh, whose attractive homestead is situated on the exact spot where the old Winnebago mission once stood and comprises four hundred acres of valuable land. Through his own industry and enterprise he has risen to prominence as a farmer, each step in his career being a step forward until today he ranks among the men whose individual success has been an important factor in general agricultural development. He is a native son of Allamakee county, born in Fairview township May 21, 1875, his parents being Mathias and Honorah (King) Walsh, natives of Ireland. The father came to New York City in 1845 and moved from there to Iowa, where he settled upon the farm which he is still residing, being now in the eightieth year of his age. He is honored as a veteran of the Civil war, having served for ninety days as a member of a New York regiment. His marriage occurred in that state on New Year's day 1859, and three of his children were born there. He has always taken an intelligent interest in public affairs and since coming to Iowa has served capably and conscientiously in various public offices, including those of justice of the peace and township assessor.
Michael M Walsh was reared at home and acquired his education in what is now called the Nicholson school. When he was fifteen years of age he secured a position as farm laborer and soon afterward joined his brother Joseph in the purchase of a tract of land in the vicinity of the family homestead. Because the brothers were under age the deed had to be made out to the father but the sons developed and improved the property for a number of years. When Michael M Walsh was twenty-one years of age he purchased another farm in Fairview township and after seven years bought a tract of eighty acres adjoining his present homestead. he has since added to his holdings from time to time and although he has disposed of some of his land, still owns four hundred acres. He operates this with the aid of hired help and is especially interested in stock-raising, keeping high grades of cattle and shipping a great deal of stock every year. His property is well improved in every particular, the buildings being substantial and in good repair and the equipment modern. Mr. Walsh devotes practically all of his time to the development of his farm and has won that success which follows earnest and persistent labor.
On the 4th of February, 1907, Mr. Walsh was united in marriage to Miss Helen Thirza Buxton, who was born in Fairview township, one and one-half miles from her husband's birthplace, on May 13, 1889. She is a daughter of Stephen Luther and Thirza Ellen (Hoadley) Buxton, natives of Vermont, the former born June 19, 1839, and the latter November 26, 1844. In his early life the father followed agricultural pursuits and upon the outbreak of the Civil war was left the farm and enlisted as a volunteer in the Eleventh Regiment, Vermont Cavalry. He served for three years and then enlisted for a second time, receiving his honorable discharge at the end of one year. He took part in many of the most important engagements of the Civil war and was twice wounded and once had his horse shot from under him. He was twice taken prisoner and held seven months in Andersonville prison and about six weeks in Libby prison. He was confined in Andersonville at the close of the war and after his discharge returned to Vermont, where he again turned his attention to farming. Ten years later he came west and settled in Clinton, Iowa, securing employment as a tie inspector for the Northwestern Railroad company. In the meantime, however, he had taken up a soldier's claim in Dakota, and having made the necessary improvements, returned to Clinton for his family. Upon his arrival in South Dakota, however, he found that his claim had been jumped, the agent purposely misinformed him, and his eight hundred dollars' worth of improvements became a total loss. He again returned to Clinton and after two years moved to Fairview township, where he located upon a small farm upon which he made his home until his death, which occurred September 19, 1906. His wife survives him and resides on a large stock ranch which she owns at Tarrizazo, New Mexico. He had always been interested in public affairs and especially in the cause of education, which he did much to promote during his term of service as school director. His daughter, Mrs. Walsh, is the youngest of four children and she acquired her education at what is now known as the Wachter school and in a business college at St. Louis, Missouri. She and her husband have become the parents of a son, Stephen Michael, who was born February 17, 1908.
Mr. Walsh is a member of the Monona Farmers Shipping Association. He is a democrat in his political beliefs and is interested in all that pertains to the welfare and progress of his native community. He and his wife are members of the Roman Catholic church at Cherry Mound and are widely and favorably known in Fairview township, where their excellent qualities of heart and mind have gained them the friendship of many and the high regard of all who know them.

RIDER

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

John Rider, proprietor of the Valley Stock Farm, is one of the enterprising, progressive and successful farmers and stock-raisers of Allamakee county, He was born in Paint Creek township on the 1st of November, 1861, a son of Peter Rider, one of the early settlers of this county. The father, born in Ireland on the 20th February, 1829, was brought to America by his parents, Peter and Elizabeth Rider, the family home being established in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. In 1851 the family came to Allamakee county, Iowa, locating in Taylor township, where both parents passed away. Peter Rider, Jr., father of our subject, became the owner of one hundred sixty acres of wild land on section 21, Paint Creek township, upon which he erected a pioneer log house which is still standing. He gave his time and attention to the improvement and development of this farm and in his agricultural pursuits met with most substantial success. In 1855 he was married in Allamakee county to Miss Ann McKigney, a native of Ireland, and a daughter of John and Catherine McKigney, also natives of the Emerald Isle. There the father died, while later the mother came to the United States and, locating in Allamakee county, Iowa, became one of the early residents of this section. Her daughter, Mrs. Peter Rider, died upon the Rider homestead in 1895, and Mr. Rider's death occurred the following year at the home of his son John, with whom he resided after his wife's demise. They were earnest Christian people, faithful members of the Catholic church at Cherry Mound, and were held in high esteem by all who knew them. In their family were nine children, of whom five died in childhood, while Thomas passed away at the age of nineteen years. The surviving daughters are: Kate, the wife of James Kaveny, of Nebraska; and Elizabeth, who married Mike Norton, of Howard county, Iowa.
The other surviving member of the family is John Rider, whose name introduces this review. He was reared on the home farm, acquiring an excellent knowledge of agricultural pursuits under the direction of his father, and upon attaining manhood went into partnership with his brother-in-law, James Kaveny, in the purchase of one hundred and sixty acres of land. This they operated jointly for two years, after which Mr. Rider purchased his partner's interest and is now the owner of two hundred acres of well developed land. The farm is equipped with excellent improvements, all of which have been made by Mr. Rider, and the place, one of the attractive and valuable properties of the township, is known as the Valley stock Farm. In addition to his stock-raising interests, he carries on general farming, and the practical and progressive manner in which he conducts his various interests is proving productive of most enviable success.
In 1894 Mr. Rider was united in marriage to Miss Mary Hart, a native of Allamakee county and a daughter of Patrick and Jane (Tracy) Hart. Her father, who was born in Ireland on the 17th of March, 1830, came to the United States alone when nineteen years of age, locating first in Ohio. Later he removed to Dubuque, Iowa, and in 1852 became a resident of Allamakee county, here purchasing eighty acres of government land in Paint Creek township. This he cleared and improved, and that place remained his home until his death on the 23d of February, 1903. His widow, who was also born in Ireland, survives and makes her home with her children at Plainview, Minnesota. Mrs. Rider attended district school in the acquirement of her early education, which was later supplemented by a course of study in the seminary at Waukon. After leaving school she engaged in teaching, following that profession for twelve years prior to her marriage. By her union to Mr. Rider she has become the mother of seven children, all yet at home, namely: Jeanette I., Thomas J., Florence V., William E., Celia C., Hazel Marie and Helen E.
Public spirited in large measure, Mr. Rider, however, has never engaged actively in public affairs, for the demands of his extensive agricultural interests have never left him time for outside matters. The name of Rider is well known in Allamakee county, where members of the family in three generations have resided, and John Rider has ever proved himself a worthy representative of an honored name. The high rank which he now occupies among his fellowmen is due not only to the success which he has gained for himself along agricultural lines but also to the honorable principles and upright purposes which have ever governed his actions.

DELANEY

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

Among Allamakee county's substantial and progressive agriculturists is numbered Patrick Delaney, who since 1898 has resided upon his fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Hanover township. He was born in 1866 and is a son of James and Margaret Delaney, natives of Ireland, both of whom upon coming to America settled in Indiana, where their marriage occurred. They later removed to Iowa and in 1856 the father purchased land in Hanover township, Allamakee county, a property which he operated until his death in 1906. His wife passed away in the same year. To their union were born ten children, eight of whom survive: Johanna, the wife of William O'Meara, of Minnesota; Katherine, who married John Fitzgerald, of Tacoma, Washington; Terrence, of Hanover township; Patrick, of this review; Thomas, a merchant in Allamakee county; Mary E., who married Bryan Mahoney, of Allamakee county; John, who resides in Hanover township; and James, who is operating his father's homestead.
Patrick Delaney was reared at home and he learned the details of farm operation through practical experience upon his father's property. At the age of twenty-seven he began farming for himself, renting land upon which he operated for five years thereafter. He then purchased one hundred and twenty acres in Hanover township and upon this property has resided since that time, steadily carrying forward the work of improvement and development and gaining recognition as one of the substantial and able men of this locality.
Mr. Delaney was married in 1901 to Miss Anastasia Byrnes, a native of Allamakee county and a daughter of Thomas and Katherine Byrnes, natives of Ireland. The parents have passed away, the mother dying in 1908 and the father many years previously. Nine children were born to this union, as follows: Eugene, who resides in North Dakota; Annie, the wife of Thomas Collins, of Allamakee county; Katherine, who married Michael Bresnahan, of Allamakee county; Lawrence and Thomas, also of this county; Anastasia, wife of the subject of this review; Ella, who married Michael Burke, of Allamakee county; Margaret, and Mary, the deceased wife of William Gavin, of Allamakee county. Mr. and Mrs. Delaney became the parents of four children: James, born in 1903; Thomas B., who died when he was ten months old; John J., who died in infancy; and Margaret. The family are devout members of the Roman Catholic church.
Mr. Delaney is a stanch democrat and takes an intelligent interest in community affairs, cooperating heartily in all measures for the public good. His life has been one of well directed activity, resulting in the attainment of a fair measure of success, and wherever he is known he is respected and esteemed by reason of his genuine personal worth.

QUILLIN

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

In 1862 Michael Quillin bought his first tract of land in Hanover township, Allamakee county, and this formed the nucleus of the extensive tract which he now owns. He has become well and favorably known in this part of Iowa, and the years have brought him prominence and substantial fortune, so that he stands today among the representative and able agriculturists of the section where he has so long made his home. He was born in Ireland in 1842 and is a son of Philip and Nancy Quillin, who came to America in 1848 and settled at Lambertsville, New Jersey, where the father followed the stonemason's trade until 1854. In that year he came west, and settling in Dubuque, Iowa, continued in his former occupation for two years and a half. Removing from that city to Lansing, in Allamakee county, in 1856, he preempted eighty acres of government land in Iowa township and when he disposed of that property bought two hundred and forty acres on the Minnesota line. This also he afterward sold and removed to South Dakota, where he proved up a homestead and a tree claim, continuing to develop this property until his death in 1888. His wife, surviving him some years, died in 1896. To their union were born eight children, six of whom lived to maturity: Michael, of this review; Mrs. Mary Fitzgerald; Thomas, of Minnesota; John, of Kimball, South Dakota; Mrs. Bridget McGraw, who has passed away; and Mrs. Ann Conklin, also deceased.
Michael Quillin acquired his education in the public schools of New Jersey and of Dubuque, Iowa, and remained with his parents until he was twenty-two years of age. Previous to that time he spent several summers as a river man on the Mississippi, but finally turned his attention to farming, buying in 1867 and eighty-acre tract on section 34, Hanover township. From time to time he added to this property, and although he has recently given eighty acres to his son still owns three hundred and twenty acres, which his skill, ability and industry have made on of the finest agricultural properties in this vicinity. One hundred and eighty acres are under a high state of cultivation and the farm is well managed and well equipped in every particular, evidencing the many years of care and labor which the owner has bestowed upon it.
Mr. Quillin married in 1867, Miss Rosa A. McGinnis, a native of Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Michael McGinnis, who settled in Iowa in 1857 and followed farming in this state until his death. Mr. and Mrs. Quillin became the parents of fifteen children, twelve of whom survive: Phillip J., a farmer of Allamakee county, who engaged in teaching previous to his marriage; John J., of Harper's Ferry, Iowa; Mary, the wife of Albert Lilliard, of Union Prairie township, Allamakee county; Anna Laura, the wife of Ed Collins, of New Albin, Iowa; Thomas, of Allamakee county, Iowa; Celia, who is single and living at home; Ella, the wife of Fred Hancock, of Allamakee county, who taught school previous to her marriage; M.J. of La crosse, Wisconsin, a traveling salesman for the Swift Packing Company; Edward, at home; william, attending the State Normal School at La Crosse; Rose Mary, a stenographer, at home; and Leonard, at home.
Mr. Quillin is a member of the Roman Catholic church and gives his political allegiance to the democratic party, taking an intelligent interest in community affairs without being active as an office seeker. Since 1867 he has resided upon his present farm, and his industry, and well directed efforts through the years have been rewarded by prosperity, prominence and that true success which lies in the respect and esteem of his many friends.

LYONS

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Michael Edward Lyons, the present auditor of the city of Dubuque was born April 23, 1861, in St. Louis, Missouri, a son of Daniel and Margaret (O'Callaghan) Lyons. The father was a native of Ireland, but in 1854 immigrated to the United States, locating at St. Louis, and was there married in 1856, and died in 1864. Three years later his widow remarried, taking for her husband Thomas Lynch, with whom she removed to McGregor, Iowa, and lived until her death in 1873. Two sons, Michael Edward and Daniel (deceased) were born to Daniel Lyons and wife, and were educated and reared to early manhood in McGregor, Iowa. Michael Edward Lyons, the subject of this review, was thrown upon his own resources early in life, but managed to attend the public and parochial schools, and for a time the high school at McGregor. After quitting school in 1876, he worked on a farm for three years. He then went to St. Louis and was a street car conductor in that city from 1879 to 1883. He then came to Dubuque and engaged in the retail liquor business, in which he continued till 1906. While in business he made profitable use of spare time by studying law with the Sprague Correspondence School, successfully completing same and reviewing the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1904. From 1904 to 1906 he served as alderman from his ward. In 1906 he was elected city auditor, and was re-elected in 1908 and 1910. He is a Democrat in his political views and a member of St. Raphael's Roman Catholic Cathedral. For three years he was president of the Saloon Dealer's Association, which position he relinquished upon his election to his present office. He was also a charter member of the local lodge of the Eagles. In 1887 he was united in marriage with Miss Helen McKinna, whose parents were among the early farmers of Concord township, this county, and the following children, all at home, were born to them: Mae, Nellie and John.

MULLEN

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Richard D. Mullen, extensively engaged with his brother, Daniel P. Mullen, in the plumbing business in Dubuque, with offices and warehouses at 1036 Main street, is one of the well known and successful business men of this city. Michael and Ellen Mullen, his parents, were of Irish ancestry, and the father, who died in 1889, at the age of sixty-five years, was a well known railroad contractor. His widow died in 1900, aged seventy-five years, and both are buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery. Richard D. Mullen attended St. Patrick's Parochial School until twelve years of age, and at that youthful period began learning the plumbing business with Morrison Brothers. After completing his apprenticeship he continued with his firm four years, and with its successor an additional three years. In 1892 he organized the firm of Mullen Brothers, four brothers constituting the partnership, viz: Richard D., John, Michael and Daniel P., and this continued unchanged until 1899, when, owing to the retirement of John and Michael, the present arrangement has obtained. The firm furnishes employment for about fifteen men and is one of the largest establishments of its kind in Dubuque. Mr. Mullen was born in this city January 16, 1867. His entire life has been passed here and has the commendation of all who know him. He is an adherent of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and a Knight of Columbus. In politics he is a Democrat.

The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.

LONG

Thomas Long, tinnner, Bellevue; he was born in Ireland in 1846; in 1853 he came to Galena; in 1864 he came to Bellevue and at once commenced work for J.C. Hughey; he remained with him till 1878. He married Mrs. Patee in 1869; she was born in St. Louis, Missouri, March 17, 1833; her former husband was killed in the late war. Mrs. Long is one of the earliest settlers in Bellevue; during the Bellevue war a number of prisoners were temporarily held in her house; they have one child; she has two children by a former marriage.

The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.

DYAS

William Dyas, deceased; he was born 1814, in Ireland; he came to Jackson county in 1833, and died in 1875. He married A. Lenox in July 1858; she was born in Maryland and came to Jackson county in 1852. He owned about 200 acres of land. Had 5 children- William, Robert, Anna, Ella, Minna.

The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.

KELSO

Hon. James Kelso, banker, Bellevue; a native of Ireland; at the age of 20 he came to America and first settled in Virginia. In 1840, he went to Pike Co, Ohio; engaged in teaching school and reading law; in 1845 he commenced a regular course of law studies under the supervision of N.K. Clough and afterward with John M. Douglass, who is now a resident of Chicago; after being admitted to the bar, he removed to Bellevue, in 1849, and practiced his profession; he also joined himself with W.L. Redmond, of Bellevue in the banking business under the firm name of Kelso & Redmond; this connection continued till 1868 when the firm was dissolved, since which time the business has been carried on by Mr. Kelso alone. He was elected prosecuting attorney and served very acceptably in that office; in 1857 was elected county Judge of Jackson county which office he held for 1 term; he has held the office of Mayor and many other places of trust, within the gift of the citizens of this city and county. He is a man of strict integrity and a shrewd business financier and is held in universal esteem by all who know him. He married Miss Eliza Cressy who was born in Beverly, Essex county, Mass; she died in Bellevue in 1864; they had two children- Walter C. and William. His second marriage was in 1872 to Miss Sophia F. Shaw of Maquoketa; she was born in Dubuque; they have three children- Carrie, James and Jennie.

GALLAGHER

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

Among Hanover township's extensive landowners and prosperous farmers and among Allamakee county's most progressive and prominent native sons is numbered Frank Gallagher, who owns and operates six hundred and fifty three acres of fine land, the neat and attractive appearance of which is a visible evidence of his life of industry and thrift. He was born 1866 and is a son of Patrick and Ellen (Butler) Gallagher, natives of Ireland, who came to America at the age of twenty-six and  eighteen respectively. Shortly after their arrival in this country their marriage occurred and they settled in New York state, where they continued to reside for fourteen years. In 1854 they moved to Iowa and settled in Union Prairie township, Allamakee county, where the father purchased land, which he operated until 1879. In that year he disposed of his holdings and came to Hanover township, where he again purchased land, operating this farm, which comprised one hundred and fifty-three acres, until he retired from active life. He was one of the early settlers in this part of Iowa and when he first took up his residence upon his farm in Hanover township his nearest market was at Lansing, twenty-seven miles away. He still makes his home in Iowa and is one of the venerable men of this state, having passed the age of one hundred years. He has long survived his wife, who died in 1890. Seven children were born to their union, of whom five are still living: Johanna, the wife of James Ryan, of Frankville, Iowa; Mary, at home; Thomas, of Allamakee county; Eliza, the wife of James Martin, also of this county; and Frank, of this review.
The last named acquired his education in the public schools of Allamakee county. He was reared at home and by assisting with the work of the farm acquired at an early age a practical knowledge of the details of farm operation. When he was twenty-eight, he assumed the conduct of his father's homestead and has managed this property since that time, although he has added largely to his holdings. At present he owns six hundred and fifty-three acres of well improved land, with four hundred acres in a high state of cultivation, besides an interest in a two hundred and forty acre tract in Minnesota. The Iowa farm lies on sections 28 and 33, Hanover township, and is an excellent property in every particular, equipped with a fine residence, barns and outbuildings and the necessary machinery. Mr. Gallagher devotes practically his entire time to its cultivation and has been very successful, standing today in the front ranks of able and prosperous agriculturists.
In 1890 Mr. Gallagher was united in marriage to Miss Maria Collins, who was born in Allamakee county, a daughter of James and Mary Collins. Mr. and Mrs. Gallagher have become the parents of five children: Patrick, who was born in 1892 and is at home; Loretta, born in 1895, the wife of A. Goshie, of South Dakota; James, whose birth occurred in 1896; and Francis and Leo, both deceased. Mr. Gallagher is a member of the Roman Catholic church and he gives his political allegiance to the democratic party. He has served his township capably as trustee and is always ready to cooperate in progressive public movements. There are few men in Allamakee county more widely and favorably known than he, for he has made his home in this part of Iowa since his birth and his upright and straightforward life has gained him the warm and lasting regard of all with whom he has been brought in contact.

KEARNEY

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Frank J Kearney, manager of the Western Union Telegraph office in Dubuque, was born in this city November 28, 1870, a son of the old pioneers, Michael M. and Mary (Griffin) Kearney. Michael M. Kearney was born in New York state in 1838, and was of Irish descent, his parents coming to America at an early date. Early in life he attended the public schools and learned the carpenter trade, and in 1859 went to Montreal, Canada, where he remained two years. He then returned to Waddington, New York, and when the government was plunged into war, and all patriotic men were urged to come forward to maintain the union of the states, the stirring call met with an answer from Mr. Kearney, who enlisted with the Eighty-third New York volunteers, which command was later consolidated with the Ninety-seventh, and he served throughout that entire struggle as a member of the Army of the Potomac. He was wounded five times, twice seriously. At the battle of the Wilderness he lost an eye and during another engagement was struck in the leg by a bullet which splintered the bone and rendered him somewhat crippled in after life. In 1865 he was honorably discharged and came to Dubuque, his people having removed to this city during the war. Here he worked at his trade of carpenter, and in 1868 was married to Miss Mary Griffin, a native of Ireland. To them were born: Frank. J.; Katherine (Mrs. D.U. Murphy); May (Sister Mary Amabilis of the Sisters of Charity, B.U.M.); Agnes; and Joseph (deceased). Frank J. Kearney, the oldest of the children and the immediate subject of this memoir, received his education in the local parochial schools and under private tutors. He also attended Bayless Business College and learned telegraphy, at which he has been engaged ever since. He is at present manager of the Western Union office in Dubuque. In 1902 he was married to Miss Effie Adams, who is descended from Rev. Robert Cushman, of Colonial fame, and to them Francis A. and Mary Adella have been born. It was Robert Cushman who with Governor Carver, chartered the Mayflower, which brought the first Pilgrims to America, in December, 1620. He himself came in 1621, and after having been here a few weeks, preached a sermon on "Sin and the Danger of Self-Love." It is the oldest sermon extant, delivered in America. Mr. Kearney is a member of the Knights of Columbus, is a Roman Catholic in religious views, and one of the progressive and public-spirited men of the county.

BRAZELL

Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

No farmer in Allamakee county has attained greater success in agricultural pursuits than Nicholas Brazell, whose holdings aggregate five hundred and three acres and comprises one of the valuable and productive farms of Taylor township. He was born in Canada, May 7, 1853, and is a son of John and Ellen (McManus) Brazell, natives of Ireland. The father was brought to Canada by his parents when he was still a child and was reared in the Dominion, coming to the United States in 1854. After spending one winter in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he came to Allamakee county and was one of the pioneers in this part of Iowa and for some time thereafter a force in agricultural development. In the spring of 1855 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of partly improved land and upon this carried forward the work of cultivation for ten years, erecting substantial outbuildings and beginning the construction of a modern home. This, however, was not yet completed when in 1865 he passed away at the age of sixty-one years. He had survived his wife some time, her death having occurred when she was forty-two years of age. They were devout members of the Roman Catholic church and well known in Taylor township, where they had resided since pioneer times. In their family were eight children, one of whom died in infancy; Anne, also deceased; Honora, the wife of William Fulcakdy, of Waukon; Bridget, who married J.M. Collins, of the same city; Nicholas, of this review; Mary, who married James Brophy, of Duluth, Minnesota; Helen, who died in childhood; and Lizzie, also deceased.
The parents passed away when most of these children were still very young and when the subject of this review was a small child. The family remained upon the homestead for a number of years, all of the sons assisting in the work of its cultivation. Eventually the land came into possession of Nicholas Brazell, and he has from time to time added to it until he owns today five hundred and three acres on section 8, Taylor township. In the course of years he has made substantial improvements upon this property, erecting a modern barn, and the necessary outbuildings, and success has steadily rewarded his practical, progressive methods. He is president of the Farmers Cooperative Creamery at Harper's Ferry and is recognized in business circles as a man of force, sagacity and energy.
In Allamakee county Mr. Brazell was united in marriage to Miss Ellen Hennessey, a daughter of John and Mary (O'Hara) Hennessey, natives of Ireland and early settlers in Taylor township. Mr and Mrs Brazell became the parents of seven children: John, who has passed away; William J., who is connected with the Bell Telephone Company of Minneapolis; Dominic, who lives at home; Leo C., and Clement P., also with their parents; Mary R., who is attending St. Mary's School at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin; and Nicholas Raymond, who lives at home. The family are devout members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Mr. Brazell gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and has been honored by his fellow citizens by election to various positions of public trust and responsibility, serving for six years as township clerk, for eight years as trustee, and for a long period as a member of the school board. He is interested in anything that pertains to the welfare and development of the section in which he has so long resided, and along business and political lines has been a force in progress, being recognized today as a substantial farmer and a public-spirited, useful citizen.

FITZPATRICK

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Thomas J. Fitzpatrick, attorney and counsellor at law, is a native of Iowa, his birth occurring at Greeley, Delaware county, September 25, 1872. His parents, James and Hulda (Foley) Fitzpatrick, were born in Ireland, but came to the united States about the year 1845, and engaged in farming near Colesburg, Iowa. They subsequently moved to their present farm near Greeley, where they still reside, and where they celebrated their golden wedding on November 12, 1910, at the ages of eighty-four and seventy-three years respectively. Thomas J. Fitzpatrick was reared on the home farm, assisting in the usual work and attending the district school. He graduated from the Greeley High school, attended the Iowa city Academy, and took the prescribed course at St. Joseph's College, Dubuque. He completed his literary education by taking a three years' course in the department of Liberal Arts in the State University at Iowa City, receiving from this institution the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In 1896 he completed his legal studies in the law department of the State University, and since that time has practiced his profession in Dubuque with usual success. In his general views he is democratic, and in his political affiliation, a Democrat. By election he served as state's attorney during years 1903 and 1904. In religion he is a Roman Catholic, being a member of St. Patrick's parish. Socially he belongs to the Knights of Columbus, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the Ancient Order of Hibernians; he is also a member of the board of education in Dubuque. On July 26, 1899, at Dougherty, Iowa, he married Miss Agnes C. Wade, daughter of Michael and Margaret Wade.
Mr. Fitzpatrick is generally conceded to be one of the foremost lawyers of Iowa, and is the senior member of the firm of Fitzpatrick and Frantzen. He is the present attorney for the Illinois Railroad Company for eastern Iowa, and his firm is the legal adviser of many of the most important concerns in Dubuque.
He is one of the best orators at the Dubuque bar and to his eloquence and manifest sincerity may be attributed his marked success before a jury.

LINEHAN

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

J.J. Linehan was born June 24, 1842, in Ireland. When a lad of eight years old his parents immigrated to the United States and settled in Dubuque, Iowa. Here J.J. Linehan grew to manhood, attending the public and parochial schools and working at any honorable employment that presented itself. He became a contractor and followed that occupation a number of years; subsequently, in January, 1876, he purchased a half interest in the Dubuque Street Railway company and acted as superintendent until his death in 1888. He was active in civic affairs and served in the official position of city alderman, two terms as mayor, and a member of the Iowa State Legislature for several terms. In May, 1871, he was united in marriage with Miss Margaret O'Hare, daughter of Edward O'Hare, one of the early settlers of Dubuque county, and the names of the six children born to them who grew to years of maturity are Edward, John, Mary M., Charles M., James and Clara.
Dr. Charles M. Linehan, one of the foregoing named children, and the present city health physician, was born in Dubuque, November 4, 1876. Until twelve years of age he attended the parochial schools of this city, then entered the Christian Brothers' College at St. Louis, where, in addition to completing the academical and collegiate courses of that institution and receiving the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts, he achieved the distinction as one of the foremost athletes of the school. Succeeding this, he entered the Medical Department of the University of Michigan, but subsequently completed his medical training at Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which institute he was graduated June 21, 1901. Through successful competitive examination he was then appointed interne at St. Elizabeth Hospital, and served as such two years. He then returned to Dubuque, where he has since been engaged in the active and successful practice of his profession. Dr. Linehan is a member of the Dubuque County Medical Society, the Jo Daviess (Illinois) County Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. He belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Dubuque Club, the Golf Club, the Dubuque Gun Club and a number of fraternal and insurance organizations of which, in many instances, he is a medical examiner. He is a member of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic church.

HORNIBROOK

"History of Medicine in Iowa", D.S. Fairchild, M.D., F.A.C.S.,
reprinted from The Journal of the Iowa State Medical Society.

 
Edward Hornibrook
Dr. Hornibrook was born in the Province of Ontario, Canada, in 1838.  His
parents were natives of Ireland.  Dr. Hornibrook received his preliminary
education in the public schools of Canada and his medical education at
Victoria University, from which he graduated in 1861.  He began practice the
same year.  In 1879 he came to the United States and located in Cherokee,
where he continued in the practice of medicine until increasing years and
failing health compelled his retirement.
 He enjoyed a most extensive practice, traveling the Illinois Central
railroad from Ft. Dodge to Sioux City, and north and south from the
Minnesota line to Onawa.  He drove his team by night and day in all kinds of
weather over country roads for a radius of thirty or forty miles. He was
dignified, courteous and skillful; and a master of diagnosis. He was a
surgeon of good practical judgement, a master of principles, rather than
technique.  His operations were always done in the home with the attending
physician and any neighbor or friend of the family whom he could press into
service as his assistants.  He was a professor of gynecology in the Sioux
City College of Medicine and consultating gynecologist of the State Hospital
for the Insane at Independence.
 He died at his home in Cherokee June 30, 1924, at the age of eighty-six
years.
 
Note: the bio mentions a wife and children, but none by name.  Mrs.
Hornibrook was "hopelessly ill" in 1918.

LEE

History of Delaware County, Iowa...Captain John F. Merry, supervising ed. 2
vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1914

George E. lee owns and operates and excellent farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Coffins Grove township, this county, and has been identified with the welfare of this part of the state during his entire life as he was born in Delaware county. His birth occurred May 18, 1877, and his parents were James and Mary (Rowe) Lee, the former a native of Ireland, born April 10, 1834 and the latter born in Apple River, Illinois, January 22, 1842. George E. Lee is one of a family of thirteen children, of whom mention is made on another page of this work in connection with the sketch of the father.
George E. Lee attended the public schools in the acquirement of his formal schooling and in the meantime aided his father in the work of the farm, thus familiarizing himself with the practical methods of agriculture. When a young man of twenty-three he started out in life for himself and has during his independent career followed the occupation to which he was reared. In the fall of 1907 he was enabled to purchase one hundred and sixty acres of land situated on section 20, Coffins Grove township. He raises grain and also graded stock and as he is located but two and one-half miles from Masonville, he has a convenient market, which facilitates the disposal of the products of his farm. As his land is fertile and as he uses modern methods of cultivation his yield of grain per acre is high and since he understands the raising of stock his cattle and hogs are in fine condition and bring a good price upon the market.
On the 13th of March, 1901, Mr. Lee was united in marriage to Miss Lois Smith, a daughter of John N. and Anna (Keith) Smith. Her father was a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and her mother of this county, their marriage occurring in Hazel Green township. To Mr and Mrs Lee have been born two children, George H. and Mildred H.
Mr. Lee is a member of Camp No. 587, I.O.O.F., of Masonville and is popular not only in that organization but in the community at large. He is prospering as the years pass and his resources are constantly increasing and all who know him concede that his success is due entirely to his able management and tireless labor.

MOLONEY

History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Lawrence Moloney was a prominent figure among the pioneer settlers of Dubuque. He was born in Ireland, about the year 1819, and when about ten years old his parents immigrated to the United States, arriving in Dubuque shortly after the Black Hawk Purchase. Young Lawrence was thrifty and industrious, and before he reached the age of manhood had acquired a good business education, though there were no schools in those days. He had several brothers and sisters, all or nearly all of whom acquired homes in Dubuque and vicinity. Lawrence, soon after attaining his majority commenced accumulating property on every favorable opportunity. He erected a three-story brick building on the south half of the lot now occupied by the A.A. Cooper building, corner of Third and Main streets, which he used for a general store several years. In the meantime General Gehon bequeathed him considerable land, and a smaller bequest was made by a Mr. Slater. These bequests were made in testimony of the high esteem in which those gentlemen held Mr. Moloney. In 1849 he married Miss Mariq Quigley. Three children were the fruits of the union: Mrs. Kate Sullivan, of Dubuque county; Mr. John Moloney, and Mrs. Nellie Thompson, of North Yakima, Washington.
The great financial boom that struck Dubuque in the year 1855 caused a rapid advance in all kinds of property, especially real estate, and, as Mr. Moloney owned large tracts, his wealth increased rapidly. In 1856 he was rated as being worth $250,000; that year he conceived the idea of tearing away the frame building adjoining his store, on the north side, and erecting in its stead a three-story brick building. He was offered $30,000 for the ground, including the brick store, which he occupied, but he concluded to build. He could see his way clear without going in debt, and he felt that with the property clear he was running no risk. The workmen, however, in excavating the foundation, undermined the north wall of the store, and it had to be taken down. This changed the plans very materially adding to the expense. The building was completed about the time the panic of 1857 struck Dubuque. Real estate, rents and nearly everything else, except money, went on a slide. Money could not be realized, chiefly because there was but little of it in the country. The paper money was rendered worthless by the failure of the banks and the gold and silver was needed in New York City where it went to pay debts. Mr. Moloney borrowed $10,000 from Mr. Corwith, banker, of Galena; this run at 10 per cent for five years, when the mortgage was foreclosed, and the house that cost $55,000 and the ground for which he had been offered $30,000 sold for this sum with interest. Mr. Moloney died in 1864, leaving an estate consisting of considerable land, most of which was taken to satisfy a claim made by the E. Shine Estate. Mr. Moloney was a gentleman of many fine qualities. Wealth made no change in his demeanor. Without pride or vanity, he was dignified and courteous to all, with habitual self-possession and self-respect, as well as honest and honorable in all his dealings.

HENNEBERRY

History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa. Springfield, Ill.: Union Pub. Co., 1884.

Prominent among the arrivals of the year 1871 [to Humboldt Co] may be mentioned M.J. Henneberry.
M.J. Henneberry, one of the successful farmers of Humboldt county, was born in Jackson Co., Iowa, April 24, 1849, and is the son of Michael and Bridget Henneberry. He came to Humboldt county in 1871 and settled on section 21, of Weaver township, of which he now owns the southwest quarter. He has 100 acres broken and is engaged in raising grain and stock. He is the owner of a fine herd of cattle of the Durham stock. He has four acres of grove, good farm buildings, including a new barn built in the summer of 1883. Mr. Henneberry was married Feb. 24, 1873, to Mary A. Calligan, of Pocahontas county, where her parents have resided since 1856. Mr. and Mrs. Henneberry have four children- Bridget E., Mary A., William and Margaret. Mr. Henneberry is independent in politics, and a member of the Catholic Church. He has, by strict economy and industry, thus comparatively early in life, accumulated considerable property and is out of debt. He is regarded as a worthy and enterprising citizen.


Return to Iowa Irish


Comments, Suggestions, Contributions, Criticism or Praise?

2001 Cathy Joynt Labath