THE IRISH IN IOWA

Biographies of Those Who Came From Ireland

PRESCOTT

Portrait and Biographical Album, Wapello County, Iowa, published by Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

     Nathaniel Prescott, a resident of Green Township since 1864, operates a snug farm on section 9, and is carrying on his farm pursuits and business transactions in that commendable manner that has gained for him the respect and esteem of his neighbors. He was born in Ireland in 1815, and is consequently well advanced in years, though still retaining his mental faculties and that energy of purpose which characterized him in his early youth. Mr. Prescott is the son of Robert and Jane (Agers) Prescott, both natives of Ireland. Five years after the birth of our subject they emigrated to America and located on a farm in Muskingham County, Ohio, where they lived until 1840. They then removed to Pennsylvania, and for nine years following Nathaniel Prescott was engaged in boating on the Delaware River as Mate and Captain. In 1850 he returned to Ohio, where for the following five years he was engaged in farming pursuits. From there he went to Covington, Ind., and became a clerk in the dry-goods store of his uncle, being thus employed for two years. He then returned to Ohio, and from there again proceeded westward, to Scotland County, Mo., where he rented a farm until 1864. He then came into Wapello County, and located in Green Township, purchasing eighty acres of land, and upon which he established a permanent home. at the time he came into possession of this farm the land was in its original condition, but he industriously set about its improvement and cultivation, and met with that success which is the reward of enterprise and perseverance.
     The marriage of Nathaniel Prescott and Miss Melissa Jane Gander was celebrated in Ohio in 1857. Mrs. P. is the daughter of John and Catharine (Schull) Gander, both natives of Virginia, and by her marriage with our subject has become the mother of four children: John William is employed in a foundry in Ottumwa; Addie also lives in that city; Emma Jane became the wife of William Rhodes, a plasterer, and lives in Ottumwa; Susanna is at home.
     Mr. Prescott is highly esteemed in his community and is a member in good standing of the I.O.O.F. In politics he is a Republican, and he takes an active interest in all matters calculated to promote the welfare of his county and community. The father of our subject spent his last years in Ohio, and died there at the age of eighty-five years. The mother, after becoming ninety-five years of age, was fatally burned by falling into a fireplace when no one was near to assist her.

HOREN

Portrait and Biographical Album, Wapello County, Iowa, published by Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

    Philip Horen, a highly respected citizen of Wapello County, is the possessor of a fine farm estate located in Keokuk Township, on section 32, where he is successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising. Our subject is a native of Ireland, his birth taking place in that country Sept. 29, 1845. He is the son of Charles and Johanna (O'Connor) Horen, and at the age of seventeen years emigrated from his native land to the United States. He landed in New York City, and after making a short stay there went into Massachusetts, and was a resident of of the city of Worcester, that State, for the following seven years. He then resolved to visit the country beyond the Mississippi and in 1869 came into Monroe County, Iowa, where he engaged  in farming pursuits successfully for about four years. He then came to Wapello County, and purchased 160 acres of land and began its improvement and cultivation. After he had brought it to a fine condition he sold eighty acres at a good profit and in 1885 purchased 120 acres adjoining. He has since added to his landed property until he is now the possessor of 240 acres, 200 under fence and forty in timber. The greater part of this is finely improved and supplied with a good set of farm buildings, and under the wise direction and management of Mr. Horen has become one of the most attractive in this section of the county. Mr. H. is progressive and liberal in his ideas, and carries on his farming and stock-raising , and other matters of general interest.
     Mr. Horen was married in 1870 to Miss Maggie Sullivan, whose parents, John and Julia (Danaty) Sullivan, were natives of Ireland. They subsequently emigrated to the United States and are now residing in this township. Mrs. H. was born on the 5th of October, 1853, and by her marriage with our subject has become the mother of six children - two daughters and four sons- as follows: Charles, the eldest, was born Jan. 14, 1871; John, Nov. 11, 1873; Michael, Jan. 11, 1876; Helen, Nov. 13, 1879; Josephine F., Oct. 13, 1882, and Philip, Jan. 24, 1885. Mr. H. has been prominent in the affairs of his community since coming here, and has held the various township offices. He is Democratic in politics and both he and Mrs. H. loyally adhere to the Catholic faith.

BROWN

 Portrait and Biographical Album, Wapello County, Iowa, published by Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

      THOMAS BROWN, who owns and occupies a comfortable homestead on section 20, Richland Township, is prosperously engaged as a farmer and stock-grower. He was born in Ireland, Oct. 25, 1825, and is a son of Samuel and Letitia (Cannon) Brown, both of whom were natives of Ireland and died in their native land. Thomas was reared upon a farm and received but a limited education. In 1845 he came to America, and locating at Philadelphia worked at his trade of blacksmithing, which he learned before leaving Ireland. In 1855 he came to Wapello County, Iowa, and worked at his trade and farming alternately until a few years ago, when he quit 'smithing and has since devoted his attention to farming alone.
     Mr. Brown was married in Philadelphia, Aug. 10, 1849, to Miss Mary Gilmore, also a native of Ireland, born in 1825. Her parents came to America and located in Philadelphia, but only remained one year, when they returned to Ireland, and there both have since died. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are the parents of ten children - Letitia (deceased), James, Mary L., Jennie (deceased), Samuel H., John (deceased), Austin, Martha A., James H. and Myrtle.
     The farm of our subject comprises ninety acres of land. On the place is a good house and barn and all necessary out-buildings. Mr. Brown has held the offices of School Director and Road Supervisor, and with his wife is a member of the Christian Church. In politics our subject is a Democrat.

GALLAGHER

New Era; Humeston, Wayne Co, IA; Feb 18, 1891

     The Indianola Herald claims Warren county has the honor of having the oldest citizen of the state in Father Gallagher, the father of Mrs. John Lees of Jefferson township, Warren county, who, according to his own and his daughter's figuring, has attained the remarkable age of 108 years. He is a native of Ireland and a stone mason by trade. His age if verified by the fact of his aiding in the construction of a stone bridge in Ireland built in 1800, he being at that time eighteen years of age. He retains good use of his faculties.

BUSTARD

The History of Wapello County, Iowa.Chicago: Western Historical. Co., 1878

BUSTARD, FRANK, bakery, East Main st.; born January, 1842; in Ireland; in 1856, came
to New Orleans, thence to St. Louis, then to Tennessee, then to Chicago; in 1874, came to Ottumwa and worked for P.C. Daum for two years; in 1878, he commenced his present business. He enlisted in 1861, in the 1st Missouri confederate army; served to the end of the war. Married Rosa M. Erbacher, Aug. 13, 1877; she was born Aug. 24, 1858, in Ottumwa; have two children by a former marriage - Frank and Henry; John fell from the Missouri bridge and was drowned, in 1874, aged 7 years.

CURRIN

The History of Wapello County, Iowa.Chicago: Western Historical. Co., 1878

     CURRIN, D., born in Ireland July 27, 1832; came to America in 1853; to Ottumwa, Iowa, in 1861; business, saloon-keeper. Married Ellen Cellan in 1863; have six children - Peter, Mary, Dennis, John, James and Margaret.

ROWLAND

The History of Wapello County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical. Co., 1878

     ROWLAND, M., Street Commissioner; born in Ireland, Dec 25, 1838; came to Quebec in 1854 and after living in Canada three years moved to Monroe Co, N.Y., where he lived for a year; came to Fairfield, Jefferson Co., in 1858; in November, 1861, came to Ottumwa; he was employed in the wholesale grocery house of J.H. Merrill & Co., for twelve years, and was afterward engaged in the packing-house of Ladd & Co; he was appointed Street Commissioner on the 18th of March, 1878. Married Oct. 20, 1861, to Ellen Doran, who was born in Ireland; they have had eight children, four of whom died in infancy; the living are Annie, Bridget, Maggie and Mary Ellen. Members of the Catholic Church.

HANSON

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Edward M Hanson is living on section 23, Troy township, where he now owns and controls two hundred and seventy acres of rich farm land. He was born upon his farm, September 23, 1854, in a one room log cabin - a typical pioneer home, with clapboard roof and puncheon floor. His parents were Thomas and Bridget (Maher) Hanson. The father was born in Ireland in 1809 and died upon the old homestead in Iowa county in August, 1891, having attained the venerable age of eighty-two years. His wife, who was born in Ireland in 1814, also passed away at the same place in 1879. They were married in Ohio in 1837. Thomas Hanson had come to the new world in 1830 and first took up his abode in the Buckeye state, where he resided until 1845, when he removed to Iowa and entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from the government - a tract upon which not a furrow had been turned nor an improvement made. His wife had come to the new world in 1833. To their marriage six children were born: Michael and John, both deceased; Hugh D., who follows farming; Stephen, who has passed away; Thomas, of Williamsburg; and Edward M.
     The last named was reared in the usual manner of farm lads, early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. He has never sought to change his occupation but has always carried on general farming. He makes a specialty of stock-raising, handling Hereford cattle, Duroc Jersey hogs and Belgian draft horses. He is meeting with excellent success in his undertaking and has become recognized as one of the foremost stockmen of his part of the state. The farm presents a neat and attractive appearance, being improved with good buildings and all modern accessories.
     On the 1st of February, 1881, Mr. Hanson was united in marriage to Miss Ella Giblin, who was born in New Jersey in 1863, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Jane (Gallagher) Giblin, now both residing at Parnell, Iowa. To them were born the following children: Ella, John, Celia, Mary, Michael, Maggie, Patrick, Thomas, Sadie, Laura and Bridget and Jennie, both of who are deceased.
     To Mr. and Mrs. Hanson nine children have been born: Thomas, who was born in 1882 and is now engaged in farming in Iowa county; Bridget, who was born in 1884, and died in April, 1913; Daniel, who was born in 1886 and follows farming in this county; Raymond, who was born in 1886 and follows farming in this county; Raymond, who was born in 1888 and is assistant insurance examiner of Iowa; Cyril, who was born in 1890 and now lives in Arizona; Mary, who was born in 1892 and died in 1913; Clarence, who was born in 1896 and is at home; Emmet, who was born in 1899 and died in 1915; and Reita, who was born in 1903.
     The religious faith of the family is that of Catholic church and the political belief of Mr .Hanson is that of the democratic party. He has never sought political office but has served as school director, occupying that position for five or six years. The greater part of his time and energy, however, are concentrated upon his business affairs and he had made his farm of two hundred and seventy acres a valuable property, for his interests are wisely directed and he keeps abreast with a spirit of the times as exemplified in modern progress along farm lines.

MORRIN

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Michael H. Morrin is a prosperous and esteemed citizen of Iowa county who has lived within its borders for about a half century, during which period he has devoted his attention successfully to the pursuits of farming and stock-raising and now owns three hundred and fifty-five acres of valuable land on section 28, Troy township. His birth occurred in Ireland on the 14th of February, 1845, his parents being Peter and Margaret (Brennan) Morrin, who were born, reared, and married in that country. In 1848 the crossed the Atlantic to the new world settling first in Licking county, Ohio, while in 1855 they took up their abode in Muscatine county, Iowa. Eleven years later they came to Iowa county, arriving here in March, 1866. They had eight children, as follows: Bridget, who was born in Ireland and is now a resident of Williamsburg, Iowa; Mary and Peter, both of whom were born in Ireland and have passed away; Michael H., of this review; John, a native of Ireland and now a resident of Cherokee county, Iowa; Patrick, who was born in Ohio and now makes his home in Emmetsburg, Iowa; Catherine, a native of Iowa and a resident of Williamsburg; and James, who was born in this state and lives in Iowa county.
     Michael H. Morrin was but three years of age when brought to the United States by his parents and a lad of ten years when he accompanied them to Iowa. He attended the common schools in the acquirement of an education and on the 29th of November, 1864, when nineteen years of age, enlisted at St. Louis as a member of the First Nebraska States Volunteers, serving on the frontier for six months. He was discharged at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, on the 20th of June, 1865, and then returned to his home in Muscatine county but remained there for only a short time, coming to Iowa county with the family in the following spring. Here he has resided continuously since and agricultural pursuits have claimed his attention  throughout his entire business career. His holdings now embrace three hundred and fifty-five acres of rich and productive land on section 28, Troy township, and in connection with the cultivation of cereals he devotes considerable attention to live stock, raising short horn cattle and Duroc Jersey hogs, which branch of his business adds materially to his income.
     On the 14th of February, 1876, Mr. Morrin was united in marriage to Miss Anna Henson, daughter of Hugh and Sarah Henson, who were married in New York City. Hugh Henson, who was born in Ireland, became the father of eight children, as follows: John, a resident of North Dakota; Richard, deceased; Mrs. Anna Morrin; Catherine, living in Davenport; Joseph who has passed away; James, a resident of Rock Island; Hugh, who makes his home in Kansas City; and Michael, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Morrin have been born twelve children, namely: Leonard, who is married and resides in Chicago; Augustine, deceased; Paul, who is married and lives in St. Louis; Rosella, the wife of L.L. Lynch, of Cedar Rapids; Frances, the wife of Hugh O'Donnell, of Williamsburg; Ambrose, at home; Veronica, who became Sister Mary Angela, at Des Moines, in 1905; Evalena, at home; Theresa, a resident of Chicago; Nell, who is attending St. Ambrose college at Davenport; and Lambert and James, both at home.
     The family are communicants of the Catholic church at Williamsburg. For almost half a century Mr. Morris has lived in this county and has, therefore, been a witness of the greater part of its progress, development and improvement. He has always rejoiced in what has been accomplished here and as the years have passed has taken an active and helpful part in promoting the best interests of this section of the state.

KELLY

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     John Kelly, who is farming on section 11, English township, was born upon the farm where he still resides on the 12th of July, 1862, a son of John and Ann T. (Kelly) Kelly, who, although of the same name, were not related. Both were natives of Ireland but removed to America in the early '40s. In 1847 the father went to California and made a fortune there, remaining for five or six years. At the end of that time he went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where his marriage occurred. He and his wife came to Iowa county, Iowa, and settled upon a farm in English township, residing for a number of years in  a log cabin. Eventually a better structure was erected and the father made many improvements upon his place, continuing to cultivate the land until called to the great beyond. His wife also passed away upon the homestead. They were the parents of six children: Margaret, the wife of M. Curry, of this county; Michael; John, of this review; Katherine, the wife of T. Donahoe, of this county; and two who have passed away.
     John Kelly remained under the parental roof during the period of his boyhood and youth and upon reaching maturity took charge of the operation of the homestead which he later purchased. He now owns three hundred and eighty-three acres of land on section 11, English township, and specializes in the raising and feeding of stock, which he finds very profitable. He is not afraid of hard work but plans to as to make his efforts as effective as possible, believing it is as bad to waste energy as to waste money, and his labors yield him a good financial return.
     In 1891, Mr. Kelly married Miss Celia Elwood, who was born in Iowa county, a daughter of Patrick and Margaret (Fitzgerald) Elwood, both natives of Ireland, who migrated to America many years ago. They passed the remainder of their lives in this county and were highly esteemed in the communities in which they resided. Mrs. Kelly is one of a family of nine children and by her marriage has become the mother of eight children as follows: Katherine M., who is now attending school in Chicago; J.J., at home; Loretta and Irene, both in high school; Evelyn; Anna; Helen; and one who has passed away.
     Mr. Kelly is a democrat and for many years has been a school director. Both he and his wife are communicants of the Roman Catholic church and are loyal to its teachings. Mr. Kelly has erected fine buildings upon his farm and has made many other improvements which add to its value and attractiveness. He is also a director of the Mutual Telephone Company and a director in the North English Savings Bank. The financial success which he has achieved, however, is not held as high in his estimation as is the respect which his fellowmen accord him.

GLENN

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Rev. John A. Glenn, pastor of St. Mary's Catholic church at Williamsburg, was born in Ottumwa, Iowa, on the 24th of July, 1870, a son of Lawrence and Mary (Purcell) Glenn, both natives of Ireland, who emigrated to the United States when a young man and a young woman. They were married in Memphis, Tennessee, and became residents of Ottumwa, Iowa, some time in the '50s. They still reside in that city and are spending their last years in leisure, as they have accumulated a competence and have retired from active life.
     Rev. John A. Glenn was educated in St. Benedict's College in Atchison, Kansas, where he took a classical course, and after leaving that institution spent two years at St. Ambrose College of Davenport for the study of philosophy. Three years more were spent in preparation for the priesthood as a student in St. Mary's Seminary of Baltimore, Maryland, where he took his theological course. He was ordained on the 21st of June, 1902, by Cardinal Gibbons and following his admission to holy orders he taught for three years in St. Ambrose College of Davenport.
     Father Glenn was then placed in charge of St. Mary's parish at Lenox, Iowa, where he remained for about four years, after which he was appointed pastor of St. Mary's church at Mechanicsville, Iowa. After being stationed there for eighteen months he was made pastor of St. Mary's church of Williamsburg, being appointed to this charge on the 14th of May, 1911. In the four years that he has been a resident of Williamsburg he has gained not only the affection of his own people, but the respect of the community at large. He is zealous in his promotion of the interests of the church and under his pastorate the spiritual life of his congregation has been strengthened, while at the same time the temporal affairs of the church have been well managed. He has also found time to aid in movements seeking the moral betterment of the community as a whole and has exerted a strong influence for good in the city.

MONAHAN

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Charles J. Monahan, a successful farmer of Greene township, Iowa county, was born on the 14th of March, 1874, in this county, of the marriage of John and Mary (Lang) Monahan, natives respectively of Ireland and of New York. Both became residents of Iowa county many years ago, accompanying their respective parents to this county, where they grew to manhood and womanhood. They were married in 1870 and the  father devoted his life to farming. To their union were born eight children: John, who resides in Holbrook; Charles J., of this review; James, also a resident of Holbrook; May, the wife of Patrick Hannon; Catherine, who married T.F. O'Neill; Thomas and Michael, both of whom are farming; and Jennie, who makes her home with the subject of this review.
     Charles J. Monahan attended the public school of Iowa county in the pursuit of his education, as did his sister Jennie. As soon as old enough he began assisting his father and brothers on the farm and has continued to follow agricultural pursuits. He is industrious and efficient and is known as an able agriculturist.
     Mr. Monahan gives his political support to the democratic party at national elections but is independent when local issues are to be decided. He was township assessor from 1907-1911 and has held all of the offices on the school board, serving at the present time as secretary of that body. He is a communicant of the Catholic church, as are the other members of the family, and all high moral endeavor has his support as he realizes the great importance of the maintenance of high standards of ethics.

CONROY

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Francis X. Conroy, a native of Hilton township, Iowa county, is engaged in farming the family homestead. He was born on the 15th of December, 1867, and is one of eleven children, whose parents were James and Ellen (Sullivan) Conroy, the former born in Ireland and the latter in Pennsylvania. In 1845, when but sixteen years of age, the father came to America and, making his way to LaSalle county, Illinois, took up a homestead there. After residing there for eleven years he removed to Iowa county, Iowa, and settled upon the farm in Hilton township which our subject now owns. He continued to reside here until his death and his wife, whom he married in Illinois, also passed away here. Four of the children are deceased, the others being: Dr. E.M., a resident of Ogden, Utah; Dr. H.H., of Ottumwa, Iowa; J.S., of Streator, Illinois; Francis X., J.C. and L.V. who are on the home farm; and Mrs. C.R.  Broughton who is residing in Oregon, where her husband is engaged in civil engineering.
     Francis X. Conroy received an excellent education and during his youth learned how to cultivate land and care for stock through assisting his father with the work of the homestead. He and his brother John are operating the home place on sections 14 and 23, Hilton township, and they have as fine a farm as any in that township. It comprises four hundred acres of land, which is well improved and in a high state of cultivation, returning them to a gratifying profit annually. The father of our subject settled upon the place in 1867 and since that time representatives of the family have been prominent in that locality. The village of Conroy was named after the father, which fact testifies to the esteem in which he was held.
     Mr. Conroy of this review is a stanch democrat but has been too much occupied with his personal affairs to seek or desire public office. He, as well as the other members of the family, is a communicant of the Catholic church, the teachings of which he observes, and he holds membership in the church at Marengo. He displays those qualities of energy, good judgment, integrity and public spirit that have always characterized the Conroys and maintains the honor of the family name.

SCANDRIDGE

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Robert S. Scandridge, who is farming one hundred and twenty acres on sections 15 and 16, Sumner township, was born upon that place on the 1st of January, 1883. His parents, James and Sarah (Strawhorn) Scandridge, were both natives of Ireland but emigrated to America in the 50's. They first located in Pennsylvania, but later removed westward and settled in Iowa county, Iowa. The family home was established on the farm where our subject still lives and both parents passed away there. To their union were born eleven children: Jennie, at home; William, who is married and lives in this county; Sarah, the wife of Albert J. Stark, of Wisconsin; Elizabeth, at home; James;  Joseph and Thomas, both residing in this county; Anna, the wife of Walter G. Davis, of Williamsburg; Robert S.; and Mary and Agnes, both deceased.
     Robert S. Scandridge was reared upon the home farm and in the acquirement of his education attended the local public schools. After he became of age he and his sisters, Elizabeth and Jennie, purchased the home farm, which comprises one hundred and twenty acres on sections 15 and 16, Sumner township, and they still reside thereon. They have made a number of improvements and have erected several fine buildings upon the farm, which is in a high state of cultivation. Mr. Scandridge is an energetic and efficient agriculturist and the sale of grain and stock yields him a good annual income.
     He is a republican and is serving his second term as township trustee, proving conscientious and able in the discharge of his duties. Fraternally he belongs to the Masonic blue lodge at Victor and the York Rite chapter at Marengo, Iowa. He is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Marengo. Both of his sisters are members of the Congregational church and take an active part in its work. For a half century the name of Scandridge has been connected with agricultural pursuits in Sumner township and Robert S., is successfully carrying on the work which his father began.

FAULKNER

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     W.O. Faulkner, who owns one hundred and sixty acres of excellent land in Sumner township, was born in this county on the 27th of April, 1866, a son of Thomas and Maria (Gibney) Faulkner. His parents, who were both natives of Ireland, emigrated many years ago and located upon a farm in Iowa county, Iowa, where both passed away. Two of their children survive, the sister of our subject being Katherine, the wife of F. Larkins, a resident of Pottawattamie county, Iowa.
     W.O. Faulkner began providing for his support when fifteen years of age and for a number of years worked as a farm hand. After operating rented land for several years he was enabled in 1906 to purchase the quarter section on section 13, Sumner township, which he still owns. He raises  the crops best suited to the soil and climate of Iowa and also raises and feeds a large number of stock annually, deriving there from a handsome addition to his income.
     On the 5th of February, 1891, Mr. Faulkner married Miss Nellie McDonald, who was born in Jackson county, Iowa. Her parents, John and Honora (Ryan) McDonald, were born in Ireland and came to America many years ago, first settling in Illinois, whence they removed successively to Jackson county, Iowa, and Iowa county. Both passed away in this county. They were the parents of fourteen children, eleven of whom are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Faulkner have three children: Nora M., who was born in December, 1894, and is now the wife of Joe Kegan of this county; Helen R., who was born July 12, 1898, and is in high school; and Margaret, who was born May 7, 1908.
     Mr. Faulkner is a democrat and has served his district acceptably as school director. Fraternally he is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America and he and his wife are both communicants of the Roman Catholic church. He is meeting with gratifying success, as an agriculturist and his worth as a man has gained him many loyal friends.

LANE

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     T.A. Lane, an attorney of Victor, was born in Canada on the 17th of December, 1863, a son of John and Sarah (Barker) Lane, natives of Ireland and England respectively. In 1823 the father became a resident of New York state and thirteen years later went to Canada, where his marriage occurred. Both he and his wife continued to reside there until called by death. Four of their eight children survive, namely: Jennie, the widow of Allan Craig; T.A., of this review; J.S., who is a professor in a Canadian college; and Miss Effie Lane of Toronto, Canada.
     T.A. Lane was reared in Canada but took his college work in the University of Michigan, being an alumnus of that institution of the class of 1893. In the fall of that year he removed to Jackson county, Iowa, where for two years he engaged in the practice of law in that place, but since 1895 he has resided in Victor and has gained a clientage which is representative and important, his ability having become widely known in this county.
     In June, 1895, Mr. Lane and Miss Boyde Dalzell, of Jackon county, Iowa, were joined in marriage. Her father, M. Dalzell, has passed away, but his memory is still cherished by many who were closely associated with him. Mr. and Mrs. Lane have two children, Francis E. and Margaret L. The wife and mother is a member of the Congregational church, in whose activities she takes a helpful interest, and Mr. Lane cooperates with various movements seeking the welfare of his community. His political belief is that of the democratic party. He has not only gained recognition as a successful professional man but has also made and retained many friends, who value his favorable opinion.

McDONALD

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Thomas J. McDonald, one of the prominent farmers of Fillmore township, is connected with public affairs of the county, being a member of the board of supervisors. His birth occurred in Jackson county, Iowa, on the 25th of October, 1862, but his parents, John and Honora (Ryan) McDonald, were both born in Ireland where they were reared and married. In 1850 they emigrated to the United States and after residing near Elgin, Illinois, for four years, they removed to Jackson county, Iowa, where Mr. McDonald purchased land and concentrated his attention upon farming. Sixteen years later the family came to this county and settled in Sumner township, where the father became a landowner. He died in 1872, at the age of forty-eight, and was survived for many years by his widow, who died when seventy-six years old in 1907.
     Thomas J. McDonald attended the public schools in the acquirement of his education but as he was only ten years of age at the time of his father's death, he was early compelled to give the greater part of his time to the work of the homestead. He and an older brother operated the farm for a number of years but when our subject was in his twenty-seventh year he was married and soon afterward purchased a farm in Pilot township, where he resided for about ten years. In 1899 he sold that property and bought two hundred and fifty acres  of land in Fillmore township, which comprises his present home farm. The greater part of the place lies in the North English river bottoms and it is one of the most valuable farms of the county. He is an able and progressive agriculturist and is financially independent. 
    In 1889 Mr. McDonald married Miss Catherine Griffin, of Washington township, this county, and they have six children, John M., Martin J., Catherine, Edward, Nora G., and Thomas I., all at home.
     Mr. McDonald is an ardent adherent of the democratic party and for nine years served as a township trustee. In November, 1912, he was elected to the board of county supervisors and is still a member of that body. For the past fourteen years he has been a member of the school board and anything affecting the welfare of the public schools is a matter of vital concern to him. He and his family are communicants of the Catholic church and do all in their power to promote the spread of its influence. He is a stockholder in the Acme Lumber Company at North English and is one of the representative and substantial men of Iowa county, where he is held in high regard.

ROSS

History of Linn County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1878.

     ROSS, JAMES G., boot and shoe maker; born in Ireland, Jan. 23, 1823; came to Ohio in September, 1847; resided there until he came to Marion, in 1855; he has worked at his present business since he was 18 years of age. He married Ann Jane Moles March 7, 1846; she was born in Ireland Feb. 25, 1825; they have had ten children; one son and one daughter died in infancy; the living are Lizzie S., James G., John M., Margaret, Mary, Frank S., Ida B., and William L. Mr. and Mrs. Ross are members of the M.E. Church.

STARR

A Memorial and Biographical record of Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1896

     ROBERT H. STARR. - The lawyer has been and is a pre-eminent factor as touching the economical conditions of the nation, and the legal profession is one that opens up the field for honest and earnest endeavor and for a career of honor and usefulness. The subject of this sketch is recognized as one of the representative members of the bar of Van Buren county and as a man of unswerving integrity. Into his life history enter many points of interest, for he has been actively concerned in various business pursuits, has rendered the valiant service of a loyal soldier of the republic in the hour of his country's extremity, and traces his lineage through a long line of American ancestors, notable for industry, intelligence and sterling worth. Mr. Starr is the senior member of the well-known law firm of Starr & Calhoun, of Keosauqua, and is one of the most highly esteemed citizens of the place.
     On the 16th of April, 1840, Robert H. Starr was ushered into the world, the place of his nativity having been Berks county, Pennsylvania. His father, James Starr, was also a native of the Keystone State, having been born in Chester county in the year 1805, the son of James Starr, Sr., who was the son of Moses Starr, who was the original American ancestor, having been driven from Ireland during the troublous period when Oliver Cromwell was at the zenith of his power. The ancestry of our subject on either side is found to have  been of the noble faith maintained by the Society of Friends, or Quakers. The father of Robert H. was a tanner by trade, and in later years he devoted his attention more particularly to farming, having also been for some time engaged in hotel-keeping. He lived to attain the advanced age of eighty-nine years. In the year 1829, according to the ceremony of the Quaker Church, he was united in marriage to Miss Phoebe Hilles, who was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1810, being the daughter of Robert Hilles, who was also of a prominent Quaker family. After their marriage the young couple settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania, where they remained until the death of the devoted wife and mother, in September, 1850, after which the father of our subject removed to Lewis county, Missouri, where he remained until the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion, when he removed to Clark county, the same State, where he passed the residue of his life, his death occurring in 1894.
     The early boyhood days of our subject were passed in Pennsylvania, where he attended the public schools and later continued his scholastic discipline in Stark county, Ohio, completing his studies at Alliance, that State. He began his career as a clerk in a mercantile establishment, and was thus employed for three years at Winchester, Columbiana county, Ohio. In July, 1861, he went to McHenry county, Illinois, and there joined the brave boys in blue who were being mustered into the service of the Union, enlisting as a member of Company K, Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Colonel Gruisel commanding. The regiment was sent to join General Fremont's forces in southwestern Missouri, and participated in a number of engagements, afterward taking part in the engagement at Corinth, Mississippi, May 31, 1862. The following summer our subject was assigned to garrison duty, and in September of the same year he was sent to Cincinnati, and was one of those concerned in the raid made by Kirby Smith. In October, 1862, Mr. Starr went to Louisville, Kentucky, and there became a member of what was subsequently known as the Army of the Cumberland, and he participated in all the engagements of that army until May 17, 1864, when he was severely wounded by a gunshot in the right leg, and was discharged on a surgeon's certificate of his disability, January 6, 1865. He then returned to Clark county, Missouri, where he engaged in the mercantile business, continuing operations in this line until 1867, when he was elected Treasurer of the county, in which capacity he served one term. He was thereafter engaged in farming for a few years, having in the meanwhile devoted as much attention as possible to the study of law, being determined to devote his life to that profession. In 1874 he secured admission to the bar at a regular session of the circuit court at Kahoka, Clark county, Missouri, and within the same year he came to Keosauqua, Iowa, and entered vigorously upon the practice of his profession, his ability and discrimination soon gaining him distinctive prestige, which he has signally increased during the succeeding years, having retained a large and representative clientage,- his practice extending into the local, State, and Federal courts.
     In 1892 Mr. Starr admitted to partnership in his professional business his son, James P., and this association continued for two years when James accepted the position as Deputy County Clerk, whereupon Mr. Starr formed his present professional alliance with J.C. Calhoun. In his political adherency Mr. Starr has always rendered a stanch republican allegiance to the Republican party, and during the times leading up to the late war was pronounced an uncompromising abolitionist. In his fraternal relations he is identified with W.C. Harper Post, No. 79, Department of Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic.
     The marriage of our subject was consummated November 24, 1865, when he was united to Miss Mary C. Smith, daughter of Peter and Hester Smith of Clark county, Missouri, and they became the parents of eleven children, of whom all but one lived to attain mature years, their names and order of birth being as follows: Phoebe H., Julia E., James P., Belle, Ida, Bethel, Anna, Vie, and Charlie and William, who are twins.

[ A previous transcription of a bio of the son, James P. Starr, mentions "The records of the family go back to the time of John Starr, who lived at Old Castle, County Meath, Ireland. All his sons and daughters came to America between the years 1674 and 1697 and located in Pennsylvania. Moses Starr was one of the first settlers in Berks County, Pennsylvania, and was the first representative from that county to the Provincial Assembly."]


Return to Iowa Irish


Comments, Suggestions, Contributions, Criticism or Praise?

2001-2005 Cathy Joynt Labath