THE IRISH IN IOWA

Biographies of Those Who Came From Ireland

JAMISON

History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co. 1883

     Peter Jamison, farmer, P.O. Wheeler's Grove, was born in Ireland in 1844, son of Alexander and Mary (Kain) Jamison, both born in Ireland; he died April, 1882, and she is still living. They were the parents of eleven children, six of whom are living. Subject received a common school education, began life as a farmer, and was married to Miss Ellen Keegan, December 6, 1876, a native of Ireland, born about 1852, and daughter of Patrick and Mary (Daly) Keegan, both natives of Ireland; he is still living; she died in Ireland about 1874; they had eleven children-Mary, born October 5, 1877, and Alexander, born June 18, 1880. Subject came from Ireland to Knox County, Ill., in 1866; from thence to the Rocky Mountains, hunting for gold, which proved so successful that he went back to Ireland on a visit to his parents for three or four months; when he returned to this country, he came to this county, and, in 1874, bought 120 acres of land at $13.50 per acre. There is a fine young orchard, and also some fine natural timber on the place. Mr. Jamison is a Democrat and a Freemason.

HARRIS

History of Emmet and Dickinson County, Iowa.2 vols. Chicago: Pioneer Pub. Co., 1917

    R.S. Harris, proprietor of the Lake Road Farm on section 2, Armstrong Grove township, Emmet county, is a native of the neighboring state of Illinois. He was born in Carroll county, April 19, 1868, and is a son of John and Eliza (Hanna) Harris. The parents were both natives of Ireland, but in early life came to America and located in New York state, where they made their home for a time. From there they removed to Illinois, and Mr. Harris purchased a farm in Carroll county which he operated until ten years prior to his death when he retired from active life. He passed away in August 1903, and his wife survived him for about two years, dying in May, 1905.
     R.S. Harris is indebted to the public schools of his native county for his early education and he remained with his parents until twenty-five years of age. He then rented his father's farm, which he successfully operated for five years, and at the end of that time he removed to Black Hawk county, Iowa. One year later he became a resident of Emmet County and purchased two hundred and forty-five acres in Armstrong Grove township, to the improvement and cultivation of which he devoted the following thirteen years. On disposing of that place he bought a half section, a part of which was on section 1, and the remainder on section 2 of Armstrong Grove township, but he subsequently sold a quarter on section 1. He has made many excellent improvements upon the remainder of his land and in its operation and cultivation has met with marked success. In connection with general farming he pays particular attention to stock, and feeds a carload of cattle and hogs for the market every year.
     On the 19th of February, 1895, Mr. Harris married Miss Margaret Calder, a daughter of William and Catherine (McKay) Calder, who were natives of Nova Scotia. There her father died in 1865 and her mother, who long survived him, passed away on the 30th of October, 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Harris have four children namely: Willis and Wilbur, twins, born August 6, 1896; Ransom C., born August 16, 1899; and Charles R., born February 3, 1907.
     In politics Mr. Harris is a staunch republican and his fellow citizens, recognizing his worth and ability, have called upon him to fill positions of trust and responsibility. For the past twelve years he has served as assessor and has also filled the office of trustee of Armstrong Grove Telephone Company, president of the Farmers Elevator Company of Armstrong and vice president of the Farmers Improvement Association of Emmet county. He is also a member of the Armstrong Consolidated high school board and is a trustee of the Presbyterian church, to which he and his wife belong. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Yeoman lodge, and in both social and business circles he occupies an enviable position, having the confidence and respect of all with whom he is brought in contact.

KENNEDY

The History of Marshall County, Iowa.Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     Kennedy, James, farmer, Sec. 33; P.O. Edenville; born Sep. 10, 1830 in Ireland; in 1843 came to Canada; in 1851, came to Watertown, N.Y.; then returned to Canada; in 1865, removed to Chicago; in 1872 came to his present farm; owns eighty acres valued at $20 per acre. Married Mary A. McMahan, Feb. 22, 1858; she was born Feb. 21, 1841, in Canada; has seven children: David J., James A., William D., George H., Alice M., Frank and Martha J.

LACY

Biographical History of Pottawattamie County: Lewis Pub. Co., 1891.

     Patrick Lacy, a leading business man of Council Bluffs, was born in Ireland, in September, 1843. His father died in Ireland, and the family removed to this country and settled in Savannah, Georgia, in 1850, where his mother died of yellow fever about three years later.
     In 1856 Mr. Lacy came to Council Bluffs with his sisters and brother, and here remained until he was about eighteen years of age, when he left home and started out as a teamster in a wagon train to Denver, making several trips to and from the Bluffs. In the spring of 1863 he went to the Colorado mines at Central City and engaged in mining, and the following year he went to Idaho. Here, and in Montana, he spent several years, visiting every mining camp of note in those Territories, and spending most of his time in mining. In the fall of 1867 he returned to Council Bluffs and since that time has been a continuous resident of that city, making several trips at intervals throughout the West. As a citizen Mr. Lacy has been zealously interested in the welfare of his city; was one of the charter members of the first volunteer fire department, being its chief eight years, and a member of it until it was superseded by the paid department, when he resigned. Virtually he is the father of the fireman's movement in Council Bluffs. In 1878, in company with five others, he organized the State Firemen's Association of Iowa, which is now one of the most prosperous organizations of its kind. He has been its president three years, 1885-'87. He has also been a member of the National Association of Fire Engineers since 1878, and is now vice-president of Iowa.
     In the political affairs of the city and county, Mr. Lacy has also taken an active part. In 1887 he was elected by the Democratic party, a member of the Board of Aldermen, and re-elected in 1889; has been president of the board two years. He has been an extensive dealer in real estate in this city; his residence is at 231 Park avenue.
     Mr. Lacy is a member of the Catholic Church. He has been twice married, the first time in 1868, to Miss Annie Wickham, the second time in 1872 to Miss Mary Fee, of Wisconsin. To the two marriages there has been issue eleven children, nine of whom are at present living.

CONWAY

History of Crawford County, Iowa...by F. W. Meyers. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J.
Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.

     M.J. Conway, one of the most successful and progressive farmers of Denison township, Crawford county, was born on Clayton street, Chicago, Illinois, July 3, 1871, a son of John F. and Lucy (Kane) Conway. The parents were both natives of Ireland, emigrating to the United States in 1855 and locating in Chicago, where they were married. For some time thereafter Mr. Conway engaged in the lumber business but subsequently, on account of ill health, he returned to Ireland, where his death occurred in 1876. Mr. Conway with her family removed from Chicago to Crawford county, Iowa, in 1881, locating in Washington township and remaining there until 1884, in which year she removed to Denison township. Here she became the wife of Thomas Griffin, whose death occurred in February, 1904. By her first marriage she became the mother of three children, namely: Thomas, deceased; M.J.; and Mary Ellen, deceased. No children were born of the second union, and her demises took place July 9, 1906.
M.J. Conway spent his early youth in Chicago, where he attended the public schools, later continuing his studies in the rural schools of Crawford county and finishing his education by a commercial course at Denison College. He remained at home until February, 1901, and then rented land in Denison township, which he operated on for three years, at the end of that time buying eighty acres on section 21, Denison township. This he retained until 1909, when he purchased one hundred and twenty acres on sections 25 and 26, which he has developed into a highly improved farm with all modern equipments. Here he has since followed general farming with that degree of success that comes to all who strive for it.
     In 1901 Mr. Conway was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Ellen Fitzpatrick, a daughter of Frank and Anne (Griffin) Fitzpatrick, both natives of County Clare, Ireland. Her father is still living in Denison and had eleven children, namely: Elizabeth, Thomas, Margaret, Anne, Nicholas, Mary, Gertrude, Jane, Lucy, Leona and one who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Conway had one child, Mary, born in 1907.
     In his political views Mr. Conway is an earnest advocate of democratic principles and has faithfully served his party in various responsible offices from time to time. He was elected township assessor four times, was township clerk for three years, was chosen as a member of the democratic central committee, has been a member of the election board for several years and at present is school treasurer of Denison township. In religion both he and his wife are faithful and conscientious adherents to the Catholic faith. Mr. Conway is a loyal citizen and has always given his best efforts in supporting those projects that go to promote public good and is classed as one of the public-spirited men of his township.

FOX

History of Emmet and Dickinson County, Iowa.2 vols. Chicago: Pioneer Pub. Co., 1917

     Among the representative and progressive farmers of Armstrong Grove township is John Fox, who resides on section 27. He also owns land on section 22, that township, and on section 36, Swan Lake township. His birth occurred in Jasper county, Iowa, May 13, 1864, and he is a son of Robert and Rachel (Conn) Fox, who emigrated from Ireland to America many years ago and located in Jasper county, Iowa. There the father purchased land and during the remainder of his life engaged in agricultural pursuits there. He died in October, 1881, but the mother is still living at the age of eighty-five years.
     John Fox was reared and educated in Jasper county, Iowa, and remained at home for several years after he attained his majority, relieving his father of the work of operating the farm. In December, 1890, however, he came to Emmet county, Iowa, and bought one hundred and sixty acres on section 27, Armstrong Grove township, paying therefor ten dollars an acre. Something of the marvelous rapidity with which land values have advanced in this county is indicated by the fact that the same land would now sell for one hundred and fifty dollars an acre. He at once began bringing his land under cultivation and as the years have passed has continued its development. He has also added to his holdings from time to time and now owns an addition to his home place eighty acres across the road on section 22 and one hundred and sixty acres on section 36, Swan Lake township. He operates all his land and his annual income is an enviable one. He has found stock raising especially profitable and feeds about four carloads of cattle per year and ships ten carloads of hogs and cattle.
     On the 23rd of September, 1894, occurred the marriage of Mr. Fox and Miss Ella Dundas, a daughter of David and Harriett (Churchill) Dundas an account of whose lives appeared in the sketch of David Dundas elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Fox have become the parents of four children, Lloyd S., Vernon, Florence, and one who died in infancy.
     Mr. Fox is much interested in affairs pertaining to the general welfare and can always be counted upon to further worthy public projects. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church and in all relations of life he has held to high standards of conduct..

LANGAN

The History of Jones County, Iowa; .Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879

     W.P. Langan , blacksmith, Oxford Mills; born in Ireland in 1835, and came to America in 1845, landing in Canada, and settled in Jennings Co., Ind., in 1845, and remained there until 21 and learned his trade, when he went to Missouri in May, 1856, and remained until February, 1857; then, in the latter part of February, 1857, went to Davenport, Iowa, and stayed there until September; then went to Clinton Co., Iowa; then to Cedar Co. in November, 1857, and remained there until October, 1859, when he came to Oxford Mills. In 1861 he enlisted in the 14th I.V.I.; was transferred to the 41st I.V.I. and then to the 7th I.V.C.; and was mustered out Feb. 11, 1864; was on the frontier most of the time with the Indians. He owns eighty acres in Missouri and property in Oxford mills. His wife was born in New York in 1838; came to Indiana and then to Iowa in 1857; was married to Bridget Welch in 1859, in Davenport, Iowa; they have seven children living-Mary L., Effie G., Lillie A., Thomas E., Herbert W., Ettie and Katie. In politics, Democrat and in religion, Catholic.

DALY

The History of Jones County, Iowa; .Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879

     Philip Daly, farmer, Sec. 33; P.O. Anamosa; born in Ireland in 1834; came to America in 1852 and to Jones Co. in 1857. Owns 160 acres of land. Is School Director in his town. His wife's name was Foley, a native of Ireland also; they were married in 1868; have two children-Philip and William. The maiden name of his first wife was Elizabeth Chesher, also of Ireland; by that marriage there were five children-Joseph, Mathew, John, Mary and Elizabeth; some of them are dead. All of the family that are living are in the Catholic Church; Mr. Daly is a Democrat.

DORCY

The History of Jones County, Iowa; .Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879

     James Dorcy, farmer, Sec. 4; P.O. Anamosa; born in Ireland in 1834; came to this country in 1849, with his mother and sister; his father, mother and sister are dead; he came to Jones Co. in 1855; lived in Fairview Township until 1876, when he moved to Wayne, where he has since resided. His wife's maiden name was Mary Meher, a native of the old country also; they were married in 1859; have had eight children, four of whom are living-Johnnie, Eddie, George and Maggie; those dead were named Ellie, Josie, Katherine, and one was not named. Mr. Dorcy and his entire family in religious faith are Catholics; in politics he is a Democrat. Owns 120 acres of land, about one hundred under cultivation.

DOYLE

The History of Jones County, Iowa; .Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879

David Doyle, farmer, Sec. 19; P.O. Anamosa; born in Massachusetts in 1852; of his parents, one is living, the other dead. He came to Jones Co. in 1867, with his parents, where he has since resided. His wife's maiden name was Katie Power, a native of Ireland; they were married in 1874; have one child-Willie. They are Catholics; Mr. Doyle is a Democrat. Owns eighty acres, all under cultivation.

HENDERSON

History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa. Springfield, Ill.: Union Pub. Co., 1884.

     Robert Henderson was born Feb. 7, 1847, in Ireland, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. He is a son of Robert and Letitia (McAdam) Henderson. When eight years of age he came to America, locating in Philadelphia, Penn. Remaining there six months he went to Watertown, Wis., remaining there two years; thence to Columbia county, remaining there twelve years. In March, 1868, he removed to Mason City, Iowa, thence to Algona, Kossuth county, thence to Emmettsburg, Emmet county. [Note: Emmetsburg is in Palo Alto Co, IA]. He took a claim eleven miles southwest of Emmettsburg, and in 1871 his parents moved on to it. Mr. Henderson soon afterward started out to secure work, and after traveling some forty-five miles he hired to a man in Rutland township, Humboldt county, remaining with him two years. He married Margaret McItrick, widow of John McItrick. She resided on the southwest quarter of section 2. They have 3341/2  acres of land, and make stock raising a specialty. They have three children-Sadie, Willie J., and Robert Garfield. Mrs. Henderson had five children by her first husband-Martha, Ellis, Margaret Jane, Emma and Dorothea. Mr. Henderson is a republican politically, and a Master Mason.

McCORMICK

The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa...by Robert E. Flickinger. Fonda: G. Sanborn, 1904.

     McCormick Michael (b. 1829; d. 1898), one of the early pioneers, was a native of Ireland and in his boyhood came with his parents to upper Canada, now the province of Ontario. In 1854 in Gray county he married Honora Kearns, and in 1871 located on Sec. 22, Lake township. He was a lonely settler on the frontier for a number of years but did not become discouraged. He improved his farm on the prairie, increased it to 320 acres, and occupied it until the time of his death. He participated in the organization of Lake township and two of his sons, John, and Patrick, have been prominently identified with its history since that event.
     His wife who was a native of Clare county, Ireland, died in 1889 in her 54th year. Their family consisted of eleven children, two of whom, Anna and Mrs. Mary Walsh, died in 1895.
     John (b. Can. 1855), owner of the old home farm in Lake township, occupied it until 1899 when, accompanied by Elizabeth and Nora, two of his sisters, he moved to Gilmore City where he has since been engaged in the drug business. In Lake he was a trustee two years, clerk four years, president and secretary of the school board each five years. Michael M. is the owner and occupant of 240 acres on sections 21 and 22. Patrick H. married Bridget, daughter of John Cain, and lives at Pocahontas. Mary married Philip Walsh, a farmer, and died in 1895, leaving five children, Margaret, Thomas, Philip, Edward and Nora. Thomas P. is the owner and occupant of 80 acres on Sec. 21. Margaret married William Bollard and lives on the old farm. Nellie lives with her sister Margaret and Rosa with her brother Patrick.

COOPER

History of Des Moines County, Iowa, ed. by Augustine M. Antrobus. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915.

     W.L. Cooper, engaged in the general practice of law at Burlington, was born in Henderson county, Illinois, July 3, 1855, and is a son of John and Eliza (Deane) Cooper. His father was a native of Ireland and ere leaving that country had charge of canal boats as a captain. Crossing the Atlantic to the new world, he established his home in Illinois, where he followed the occupation of farming.
     W.L. Cooper supplemented his preliminary education by study in Denmark Academy in Lee county, Iowa, graduating in the class of 1873. The following autumn he entered the University of Virginia, where in 1874, he received a certificate of proficiency in constitutional and international law. He afterward entered the University of Michigan in preparation for the bar and was graduated with the degree of LL. B. in the class of 1876, and admitted to practice in the courts of the state of Michigan. The same year he came to Burlington and entered the office of Hall & Baldwin, where he remained until 1879. In 1876 he was admitted to practice in the courts of Iowa, and in February, 1877, by the supreme court of Illinois to practice in the United States circuit courts for the southern district of Iowa. In April, 1879, he entered into partnership with H.A. Kelley, an association that was maintained for more than twenty-one years, or until October, 1900. Since that time Mr. Cooper has been alone in practice. For many years he was general attorney for the Burlington and North Western Railway but now devotes his attention to the general practice of law, representing several corporations. He is well known as an able representative of the profession, and one who is strictly ethical in his practice. He prepares his cases with thoroughness and care, and his presentation of his cause is always strong and forceful. He belongs to the Burlington Bar Association and also to the Iowa State Bar Association.
     On October 14, 1885, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Cooper and Miss Matilda E. Teuscher of Burlington. In politics he is independent, nor has he ever been an office seeker, although he served as United States circuit court commissioner until the office was abolished. Something of the nature of his recreation is indicated by the fact that he is a member of the Golf Club. He belongs also to the Masonic fraternity, is a past master of Malta Lodge, No. 318, A.F. & A.M., has attained the Knight Templar degree in the York Rite, the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite and is a member of the Mystic Shrine. In his church affiliations Mr. Cooper is an Episcopalian. He has served as vestryman almost continuously since 1887 and has been treasurer of the church for the last ten years.

GIBBONS

Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886.

     James Gibbons, farmer, section 33, Barclay Township, is a native of Ireland, born August 14, 1826, a son of Patrick and Sarah Gibbons. His parents died in their native country, the father aged seventy-five years and the mother at the age of seventy. He was reared in Ireland and in 1846 came to America, and lived the first seven months in Rhode Island, working on the railroad. He then went to New York and worked twenty-two months and thence to the Pennsylvania Central, and twenty-one months later to Connecticut, where he lived a year. He came to Iowa in 1867, and located on the southeast quarter of section 29, Barclay Township, Black Hawk County, where he lived ten years, and in 1879 located on his present farm, which contains 160 acres of land. At that time his land was uncultivated and unimproved, but by perseverance and hard work he has made it one of the finest farms in the township, his residence and farm buildings being large and convenient and in good repair. Thus he has improved two Iowa farms, and has by his energy and industry made for himself a good property and placed himself and his family above the fears of want and penury. Mr. Gibbons has been in his political affiliations a Democrat, and has voted with his party in all national elections with the exception of the last and when Lincoln and Grant were the Presidential candidates. He has served his township as school trustee, taking a special interest in the cause of education and the public-school system. He was married October 11. 1851, in Norwich, Connecticut, to Ann Wade, a native of County Longford, Ireland, born in 1831. They have had fourteen children, eleven of whom are living-James, a priest of the Catholic church, at Kankakee, Illinois; Mary, a sister of charity; Michael, Sarah, Ella, Susan, John, Omer, Henry and Josephine (twins), Lizzie and Ree (twins), Annie and Edward. Annie, Lizzie and Edward are deceased. Mr. Gibbons and his family are members of the Catholic church.

DOBSON

Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886.

     John Dobson, one of the pioneers of East Waterloo Township, was born on a farm in Ireland, January 8, 1810. At the age of twenty-two years he left his native country and immigrated to America landing at Quebec. He remained near Lake Champlain nearly four years, when he came to Ohio, locating in Fairfield County, where he followed agricultural pursuits about fifteen years. He then spent two years in Montgomery County, Indiana, and in July, 1854, he removed with his family to Black Hawk County, Iowa, and at once settled on his present farm, which at that time was unbroken prairie. He made a tent of his wagon cover in which his family lived till he had built his log house, and commenced to improve his farm. After living in his log house nine years he built a better residence, where he still lives. His first purchase was eighty acres of prairie and twenty-three acres of timbered land, and by his untiring industry and economy he was enabled to add to his original purchase till he owned 300 acres. He has at present 183 acres of finely cultivated land, and his barns and outbuildings are well arranged. He was married before leaving Ireland to Miss Ann Webster, by whom he had four children, of whom three are yet living-Thomas, William and Elizabeth, wife of E.P. Streeter. Mr. Dobson married for his second wife Miss Emily Good, a native of Tennessee, and to this union have been born seven children-Amos, Alice, John, Wesley, Abram, Eunice and Francis. John is at home with his parents and has the management of the farm. The two younger brothers are at school. Mr. Dobson, when he landed in America, had but one sovereign in his pocket, but with owing to his good management and temperate habits he is to-day comfortably settled in life. In politics Mr. Dobson affiliates with the Republican party.

ELLIOTT

History of Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa; Will L. Clark, et al.;  Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1890-91

    Alexander Elliott, farmer, Sioux City, is a son of Robert and Sarah (McClean) Elliott, and was born in Ireland, August 14, 1828. His parents were of Scotch descent and members of the Presbyterian church. His father, who was a farmer, died in 1863, and his mother two years later. Alexander Elliott is one of the old settlers of Woodbury county, having come here before there was a frame house where Sioux City now stands. The prairie was then nothing but wild land, and the deer and wolves were then roaming all around. Prairie fires did great damage too, our subject along having had between 300 and 400 tons of hay swept away by them. He was educated in Ireland, where he remained and assisted his father with the farm work until he attained his majority. In 1850 he came to America and farmed in New York until 1856, when he came to Woodbury county, Iowa, and purchased 320 acres of land in section twenty-nine, Floyd township, where he now resides, to which he has since added 1,280 acres and is engaged in a very extensive manner in farming and stock-raising.

McMONIGLE

History of Des Moines County, Iowa, ed. by Augustine M. Antrobus. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915.

     William McMonigle is a retired blacksmith living on Agency Road, where he owns a valuable tract of land of thirteen acres devoted to the raising of fruit and vegetables. As the years have gone on he has won a creditable measure of success, due entirely to his persistency of purpose, his well directed thrift and industry. He was born in Ireland in 1853, a son of James and Mary (Joyce) McMonigle, both of whom were natives of the Emerald Isle but have now passed away. The father was a shoemaker by trade and in 1885 became a resident of Burlington, Iowa, where his last days were spent. His remains were interred in Aspen Grove cemetery, while his wife was buried in the old country, having died before he crossed the Atlantic to the new world. They had a family of nine children, those coming to America being: William; James, now living in Havelock, Nebraska; Robert, whose home is in West Burlington; and Mary, the wife of John Drum, also of West Burlington.
     William McMonigle attended school in his native country during his early youth and afterward went to Scotland, where he remained for fifteen years, being engaged in mining in that country. In 1881 he crossed the Atlantic to the new world, making his way direct to Burlington, and for a quarter of a century he was employed in the shops of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company. He has lived at the same place during the greater part of the long period of his residence in Iowa. While he worked in the shops his sons conducted a fine truck farm, and thus the combined efforts of the family won for them a substantial measure of prosperity. Mr. McMonigle first purchased a cottage, but has added to it and made improvements until he has a very comfortable, commodious and attractive home and is now most pleasantly situated in life.
     In 1881 Mr. McMonigle was married in Ireland to Miss Jennie Dunn, who was born in that country in 1854, a daughter of William and Jennie (Joyce) Dunn, who were natives of the Emerald Isle and have now passed away. Their daughter, Miss Sarah Dunn, is now residing in Burlington, and three other sisters of Mrs. McMonigle remain in Ireland. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. McMonigle was celebrated on Tuesday and on Friday they sailed for the new world. They have become the parents of seven children, all of whom were born in Burlington. William James, who was born February 20, 1882, married Miss Charlotte Copp in February, 1914. She is a graduate of the Burlington high school and of the Normal Training School, and was a most capable teacher in the public schools of Burlington prior to her marriage. They reside in a nice little home just west of his father's place, and William J. acts as manager of his father's truck farm. He is regarded as a most industrious, energetic and thoroughly reliable young business man and has the respect of all who know him. To him and his wife has been born a son, William, whose natal day was December 3, 1914. The second in the family is Robert John McMonigle, who was born June 23, 1883. In the railroad shops of Burlington he learned the tinner's trade and is now recognized as a most capable and skilled employe there. Samuel D., born May 10, 1886, follows farming in Des Moines county. Sarah Jane, who was formerly employed by the telephone company, is now at home with her parents. Anna May is employed in one of the mercantile establishments in Burlington. Thomas J., born November 4, 1894, is a machinist who learned is trade at the Murray Iron Works, where he is now employed. Martha Elizabeth is employed in the same store as her sister in Burlington.
     Mr. McMonigle and his family are devoted members of the Episcopal church, although Mrs. McMonigle belongs to the Presbyterian church. Fraternally he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and he gives his political allegiance to the republican party where national questions are involved, but at local elections casts an independent ballot, supporting men and measures rather than party. He belongs to that class of men whom we term self-made and he deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. He has been blessed with good health and his life has been one of industry and enterprise. He is today the owner of thirteen acres of very rich and productive land on Agency Road which is devoted to the production of fruit and vegetables and the place returns to him a most gratifying annual income. In all of his business dealings he has been thoroughly reliable and has gained that good name which is rather to be chosen than great riches. He and his wife have reared a family who are a credit and honor to them, and wherever they are known the members of the household are held in high esteem. Mr. McMonigle has gained many friends during his residence in Burlington and he has never had occasion to regret his determination to come to the new world.

O'BRIEN

Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886.

     Rev. Thomas F. O'Brien, the resident pastor in charge of the Catholic church in Eagle Township, was born in Rock Island County, Illinois, November 29, 1855. His parents, John and Ann O'Brien, were both natives of Ireland, coming to America early in life, being married in this country. They are at present living in Dubuque, Iowa, having been residents of that city since 1857. Father O'Brien received his early education in the schools of Dubuque, where he grew to manhood. He pursued his classic studies at the seminary of Our Lady of Angels at Niagra, New York, and his theological studies at St. Mary Seminary at Montreal, Canada. He was ordained priest by Bishop Hennessey, at Dubuque, in the year 1880, since which he has been in charge of his present church in Eagle Township, which under his able administration is in a flourishing condition. Father O'Brien is a young man of much ability, and is possessed of courteous and affable manners which have made him many friends during his sojourn in this county.

MITCHELL

History of Crawford County, Iowa...by F. W. Meyers. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J.
Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.

     Among the prominent farmers and stock-raisers of West Side township is B.F. Mitchell, who has gained an enviable reputation as a breeder of full blooded Poland China hogs and shorthorn cattle. He is a native of Ireland, born in September, 1855, a son of B. and Jennie Mitchell, both of whom passed their entire lives in the old country.
     B.F. Mitchell of this review was reared on the Emerald isle and received his early education there. He continued with his parents until reaching manhood, and then, being ambitious to make the most of his life under the most favorable conditions, he crossed the ocean to America and spent nine years at Sterling, Whiteside county, Illinois. In 1883 he came to Crawford county, Iowa, and purchased a farm of three hundred acres, which he cultivated for three years, and then sold, buying the place upon which he now lives. His farm comprises two hundred and eighty-seven acres and is located on section 33, West Side township. He has made many improvements, thus greatly adding to its original value. While he raises grain and engages in general farming, he specializes in registered stock and upon his place may be seen some of the finest shorthorn cattle and Poland China hogs that can be found in Crawford county. He is a man of excellent judgment and has made a gratifying success of his business.
     On the 10th of February, 1878, Mr. Mitchell was united in marriage to Miss Kate F. Flynn, who was born in Franklin Grove, Lee county, Illinois, a daughter of Peter and Anna (Station) Flynn. Her parents were both born in Ireland and came to America when they were children, the father passing away June 28, 1896. The mother is still living and has now arrived at the age of seventy-four years. There were nine children in their family, seven of whom survive. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell has been blessed by the birth of seven children, five of whom are now living, namely: William J., Bernard F., Edward Earl, Gertrude E., and Florence A., all of whom are at home. Edward is a graduate of high school. Mabel O. was born January 25, 1886, and died August 27, 1888.
     Mr. Mitchell has always been true to every trust and capable in the discharge of his duties. Politically he gives his allegiance to the democratic party and although he has never sought the honors of office he served for seven years most effectively as a member of the school board. He and his wife are actively identified with the Catholic church and are quick in responding to every movement that seeks to promote the permanent interests of the neighborhood.

CUMMINGS

History of Tama County, Iowa. Springfield, Ill.: Union Pub. Co., 1883

     W.H. Cummings, one of the blacksmiths of Tama City, was born in Ireland, February 18, 1842. He crossed the Atlantic to America in 1855, locating in Buffalo, New York. Shortly after his settlement in that city, he began learning the blacksmith trade in Dunkirk, New York. In 1867 he came to Tama City, where he opened a blacksmith shop and has always enjoyed a liberal patronage. He is at present one of the Town Councilmen, having held the office three terms. In December, 1860, he was united in marriage with Miss Bridget Mulligan. They have five children living: James, Edward, John H., Sarah M., Anna B., and Rose May.

     See mention of name also: The first blacksmith shop to locate here [Tama City] was C.H. Warner, who opened business in the shop now owned by W.H. Cummings, in 1862. He remained but a short time, when it was sold to Speilman & Owens. It was afterward owned by Speilman alone until it was bought by W.H. Cummings in December, 1867. Mr. Cummings still carries on the business. There are two other shops in the town, by Elias Price and E.S. Beckley.

 


Return to Iowa Irish


Comments, Suggestions, Contributions, Criticism or Praise?

2001 Cathy Joynt Labath