Iowa Official Register 1909-1910
Biographies of State Officers

Senator from the Forty-fourth District, composed of the counties of
Chickasaw and Floyd, was born in GALWAY county, IRELAND, August 14, 1841. In
1846 he came with his parents to America, first to Halifax, Nova Scotia,
shortly after to Boston, Massachusetts, and in 1849 they changed their
residence to Baltimore, Maryland, which place was their home until 1857. His
early education was acquired from the Christian Brothers and in the public
schools; then he went to a private academy, and later to a commercial
college. In 1857, with his widowed mother, moved west to Iowa and located on
a farm. During this period he was an active member of the school board and
taught several terms of winter school. While on the farm he was elected and
served as a member of the County Board of Supervisors. In 1871 he was
elected Treasurer of Chickasaw county; re-elected three times, serving eight
years in all, and was a delegate from the Fourth Congressional district of
Iowa to the National Democratic Convention at Cincinnati when General
Hancock was nominated for President. Was the nominee of his party for State
Treasurer, later for Congress and still later for State Senator. Represented
his county in the Twenty-second General Assembly and served several terms on
the Democratic State Central Committee. Has been mayor, alderman, and school
director in his home town of New Hampton. In 1882 he engaged in the lumber
and coal business, in which he remained twenty years. Was elected president
of the State Bank of New Hampton in 1902, which position he now holds.
Elected Senator in 1906. A Democrat in politics.


"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Mrs. Bridget Brophy, nee O'Connell, was born in county Galway, Ireland, about the year 1817, and was there married to Thomas Logan, in 1837. He was born at that place in 1814. Of three children born of this union, one survives - Michael, born in September, 1840. Mr. Thomas Logan died in 1847, an in 1850 his widow came to the United States. She landed at New York and went at once to New Jersey, where she was married, in 1853, to Thomas Brophy, a native of Tipperary Co., Ireland. Their union was blessed with three children, two living - Edward, born June 2, 1856, and Cecelia, born Feb. 27, 1857. In 1865 Mr. and Mrs. Brophy came to Scott County and bought 40 acres of land, which they cultivated eight years, then bought the place where she now resides, of 200 acres, in Winfield Township. Mr. Brophy died very suddenly on the morning of the 13th of January, 1880. He was apparently as well as usual, ate breakfast with his family, and at 10 o'clock was a corpse. The cause of his death was supposed to be heart disease. He was a kind and indulgent father and a good neighbor, a man well respected in the community in which he lived. The sons are managing the farm, and raise grain and stock for the market at Davenport.


"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Thomas O'Shaughnessy, grocer, 629 Harrison street, is a native of County Galway, Ireland, born Dec. 15, 1834. He was a son of Edward and Helen O'Shaughnessy, nee Wade, of Irish birth. When Thomas was about 13 years of age his parents started for America. While on the way his father died and was buried at sea Dec. 28, 1847. The remainder of the family landed at New Orleans and from there went to Madison, Ind., where Thomas worked in a brickyard until 1854, when the family came to Davenport. Thomas still continued in the same business here until 1868. He then opened a grocery store and has beeen engaged in that business since, and is now located at the above address, where he carries a full line of groceries and staple goods. He was married to Julia Byrne, June 15, 1863. She was born in County Wicklow, Ireland and was a daughter of Peter and Mary Byrne natives also of that country. To Mr. and Mrs. O'Shaughnessy have been born five children - Mary A., John E., Joseph P. and Ellen. Michael B. died Aug. 15, 1871. Mrs. Julia O'Shaughnessy died Dec. 25, 1873. Mr. O'Shaughnessy married for his second wife Katy, daugher of Patrick and Eliza (Dunn) O'Shaughnessy, Feb. 2, 1876, and by her has had three children - Thomas P., Michael P., who died Dec. 12, 1878, and Joseph. In connection with his grocery store Mr. O'Shaughnessy has a wholesale flour, feed and grain store, and is one of the enterprising business men of the city. He is a member of the Irish National Land League. The family belong to the St. Anthony's Parish Catholic Church.


"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Thomas J. Glynn, son of Michael and Mary (Fox) Glynn, natives of Galway Co., Ireland, was born at that place, Dec. 22, 1840. His parents emigrated to America when he was six years old, and landed a New Orleans, where they remained one year, then removed to Madison, Ind. Thomas attended the parochial schools of that city until 1854, when his father removed with his family to the West, and settled in Davenport, Ia., on March 16 of that year. His father bought 80 acres of land on section 21, Winfield Township, paying $6 an acre for it, and to that place the family moved in November, 1855. Thomas assisted on the farm, and after his 18th year the management of it devolved almost entirely on him. On June 6, 1865, he married Anna M., daughter of James and Elizabeth Ennis, nee Crawford. She was born in Ontario, Canada, May 14, 1846. With some help from his father, Thomas Glynn purchased 80 acres of land on section 21, Winfield Township, which he cultivated for seven years, then sold for $50.80 an acre, and with the proceeds of this sale he bought 203 acres in sections 17 and 18, Butler Township, which is his present home. He has made improvements on this place in building and fencing, to the amount of $3,000. He is extensively engaged in breeding fine stock. His herd contains some of the finest specimens of thoroughbreds in the State.
Mr. and Mrs. Glynn have had seven children - James M., born July 21, 1866; Mary E., March 1, 1868; Thomas P., April 29, 1870; Charles E., Jan. 9, 1873; Anna M., Feb. 18, 1875; Leo, July 8, 1877, and Alice M., July 29, 1879. Mr. Glynn's mother resides with him; his father died March 12, 1873, in Winfield Township, this county

Biographical History and Portrait Gallery of Scott County...1895; American Biographical Publishing Co.

     Thomas J. Glynn was born December 22, 1841, in Galway County, Ireland. His parents were Michael and Mary (Fox) Glynn, who emigrated to America in 1847, landing in New Orleans and later removing to Madison, Indiana. In 1854 they came to Davenport and purchased eighty acres of land in Winfield Township, paying six dollars an acre for it. Improvements were made on the land and in November, 1855, the family removed to the farm. Thomas worked on the farm, and at the age of eighteen the management of it devolved almost entirely upon him. He was married in 1865 to Miss Anna M. Ennis, born in Ontario, Canada.
     With some assistance from his father Mr. Glynn purchased an eighty-acre tract of land in Winfield township, which he improved and cultivated for seven years. He then sold this farm and has since become the owner of a fine farm of over three hundred acres in Butler Township, on which he now resides.



Biographical and Historical Record of Greene and Carroll Counties,
Iowa...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

Edward W. Foy, druggist, Jefferson, Iowa, is a native of County Galway,
Ireland, born in 1845. He had good educational advantages in his native
country, and after coming to America attended the Philadelphia High School
some time. He came to the United States in January, 1862, and first lived in
Philadelphia, going from there the same year to New York City, and from
there to Mt. Morris, New York, where he lived until the fall of 1869, when
he came to Iowa and clerked for James Stanford & Son, of Jefferson, until
January, 1870, when he engaged in business for himself, and is now the
oldest druggist in the place. Mr. Foy married Addie Young, daughter of Jacob
young. The have one child, Nettie.


From the book "The History of Clinton County Iowa" by L. P. Allen (1879)

JEROME TANIAN, farmer, Sec. 26; P. 0. Big Rock; owns 280 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre; son of Nicholas and Bridget Tanian; born July 2,1842, in Galway Co., Ireland; in 1849, parents emigrated to the United States. locating in Vermont; in 1855, came to Clinton Co., locating in the township in which he still lives.  Married Mary A. Posten, daughter of Charles and Celesta Posten, Dec. 14, 1862; she was born in Scott Co., Iowa, Aug. 8, 1844; have eight children—Ida C., William C., Mary F., Jerome, Ambrose N., Tracy, Edward and Henry A.  Mr. T. has served as Trustee of township. School Director, etc. Member of the Catholic Church; Democrat.


Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianapolis, Indiana: 1911

     A young man who holds worth prestige in business circles in Clinton who has always been distinctively a man of affairs and who wields a wide influence among those with whom he has been associated and among whom his lot has been cast, is Francis Patrick McGinn, who has won definite success by the exercise of correct principles.
     Mr. McGinn was born September 27, 1880, in Clinton county, Iowa, five miles from the city of Clinton. he is the son of Michael McGinn, who was born in county Galway, Ireland, and his mother was Margaret (Fagin) McGinn, who was born in New Jersey and whose death occurred in 1890. The father was a farmer by occupation. He grew to maturity and was educated in his home community, and he came to America on January 25, 1866, coming direct to Clinton county, where he rented various farms, here and in Jackson county, and in 1888 he purchased a farm in Camanche township. He was very successful as a farmer and had a good home. He finally sold his farm and retired, making his home in Clinton. Desiring to spend his declining years in a sunnier clime than this, he went to California some time ago and is now a resident of Los Angeles. He is a Democrat and a member of the Catholic church.
     To Mr and Mrs Michael McGinn three sons and seven daughters were born, namely: Francis Patrick, of this review; Mamie, Catherine, Margaret, Rose, Gertrude, Martha; the next child was named Gertrude after the former child by this name who died in infancy; Thomas and John.
     Francis Patrick McGinn was educated in the public schools of Camanche township, this country, and after leaving school he went into the dairy business, having been employed in one until he learned how to manage it. He conducted one of his own for three and one half years in Clinton where he met with very satisfactory results. He finally sold out and in 1903 started the "Pantatorium" in Clinton, which he conducted until 1907, meeting with much encouragement from the start. He then began assisting in the establishment of the well known and popular C.O.D. Cleaning Company in Clinton for a Davenport firm. In March, 1910, he and Charles M. Frahm purchased this establishment and have since been conducting the same on a larger scale and have increased the business very materially. They are well equipped for the highest grade work,  and thoroughness and promptness are their watchwords. Mr. McGinn is a member of the Catholic church and, fraternally, he belongs to the Knights of Columbus,  the Modern Woodmen and the Ben Hur.
     Francis P. McGinn was married on October 23, 1906, to Loretta Laughlin, who was born in Lyons, Iowa, April 24, 1883. She is the daughter of Michael Francis and Elizabeth (Carvel) Laughlin, who live in Lyons, this county, and are a highly respected family. Mr and Mrs McGinn have no children.

Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Ayrshire, Palo Alto Co, Iowa, 1888-1988

     In 1847, at the height of the Great Famine, Michael Eagan, left his beloved County Galway in Ireland and sailed to America. He followed the Irish Catholic settlers to the pioneer city of Dubuque, Iowa. In Dubuque, he met and married Susan McGuire, who with her brother, William, had left County Tyrone in Ireland for America. Michael and Susan settled down to begin a family.
     In the meantime, another Irish family was settling in America; John Hand, who had been born in County Clare in 1820, and Margaret McIntyrne, a young Irish lass who had escaped from her British captors by hiding in the hold of a ship headed for America. John and Margaret were married in Erie County, Buffalo, New York, in 1850. Thy moved west to Allamakee county, Iowa, where on August 15, 1858, a baby girl was born to them which they named Margaret, after her mother. In 1872, the Hands, with young Margaret and ten other children loaded up their wagons and headed for Great Oak township in northwest Iowa. There, on October 7, 1885, Margaret and Thomas C Eagan, the son of Michael and Susan Eagan, were married.
     Although Thomas and Margaret were not young at the time of their marriage, they were to become the parents of the following nine children: Wiliam F. born September 10, 1886, died June 8, 1983; Thomas, born September 11, 1889, who died back home October 5, 1910, after contracting an unknown illness while on a homesteading trip to South Dakota; Mary (Fay) born May 16, 1891 and died in Emmetsburg in June of 1961; Elizabeth (Rubendahl), born September 22, 1893, died in Janesville, Wisconsin, in August of 1958; Margaret (Rogers) born June 16, 1895, and died in Katy, Texas, on March 10, 1985; Michael, born April 22, 1897, now living in Philadelphia; James Emmett, born August 29, 1899, who was tragically killed in an auto accident in Clear Lake, South Dakota, on October 14, 1916; and Keyron Patrick, born August 17, 1901, who died in Emmetsburg on August 16, 1978, after having spent his entire life in Great Oak and as a member of Sacred Heart Parish...


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     James Egan, Jr., an active and progressive farmer, who is association with his two brothers owns and operates three hundred and twenty acres of choice land in Linton township, was born upon this property, February 9, 1860, and is a son of James and Catherine (O'Brien) Egan, natives of Ireland, the former born in County Galway in 1828 and the latter in County Cork in 1838. The father followed the shoemaking trade and continued at this occupation during practically all his active life. He crossed the Atlantic in 1843 and for a time worked at his trade in Boston, Massachusetts, whence he moved to Galena, Illinois, and then to Iowa, arriving in this state about the year 1850. Although he bought land in Allamakee county he had it operated by others and he himself continued to follow his trade, in which he is still active to some extent. He resides upon the farm which he acquired in pioneer times and is well known and favorably regarded in this section of the state. For some time he was active in local politics and held the office of township trustee for several terms. He and his wife became the parents of ten children, six of whom are living: James, the subject of this review; Margaret, the wife of Daniel Maloney, of Esmond, North Dakota; Catherine, who married Michael Johnston, of Linton township; Jane, who married James Brennan, of Dorchester; and Frank and Timothy who are operating the home farm in association with the subject of this review.
     James Egan was reared upon his father's farm in this township and early became familiar with the details of farm operation. For five years he worked in the employ of others and in 1889 went to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, where he secured a position with a grain dealer. He worked also in a wholesale flour and feed store, where he was employed for five years, after which he returned to the homestead. He and his brothers now control this property which comprises three hundred and twenty acres of fine land upon which they engage in general farming and stock raising, their well directed efforts being rewarded with a gratifying measure of success.
     Mr. Egan is a member of the Cherry Mound Roman Catholic church and is a democrat in his political beliefs, taking an active interest in community affairs and cooperating heartily in measures to advance the permanent interests of the township. For the past ten years he has been serving as assessor and he still holds this position, discharging his duties in a capable, far-sighted and progressive way. He is a man of many sterling traits of character, able in business, progressive in citizenship and at all times true to high and noble standards, so that he has won the confidence and esteem of all who are associated with him.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     Proof of the success to be gained in the cultivation of land in Allamakee county is found in the fact that so many of her native sons remain within her borders and choose this vocation as a life work. This is true of William Alexander Nicholson, who was born in Fairview township, November 23, 1868, a son of William and Mary (Galagher) Nicholson, both of whom were natives of Ireland, the former born in County Galway, and the latter in West Meath. In early life the father learned the tanner's trade, and coming to America when a young man, worked in a tannery in Amsterdam, New York, where he remained for a few years. Eventually, in connection with his father-in-law, he purchased a tannery near that city and operated the same until 1862. His plant was destroyed by fire, and he subsequently came to Iowa, being for one year employed in McGregor. He then purchased land in Fairview township and made his home thereon until the time of his death, which occurred on February 6, 1894. The mother died September 26, 1909.
     William Alexander Nicholson was reared on the home farm, assisting his father in the work of plowing, planting and harvesting during the spring and summer seasons, and in the winter months he pursued his education in the district schools. He remained under the parental roof until he had reached the age of twenty-eight years, when he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which at that time was unimproved. As the years have passed he has not only increased the fertility of the soil, but has erected a modern home and outbuildings, and now has one of the valuable farms of this section of Allamakee county. He is engaged in general farming, following the most progressive methods in his work, and in connection with this he also engages in handling wood, shipping five thousand cords annually, supplying the excelsior companies of Guttenberg, Dubuque and Mason City, and he also ships to points in the Dakotas. He has engaged to some extent in the real-estate business, one year negotiating deals for local land amounting to eighty-five thousand dollars. He is a capable and wide-awake business man and has met with success in his various undertakings.
     Mr. Nicholson was married August 26, 1902, to Miss Katie Kelly, who was born in Linton township, October 8, 1875, a daughter of John F., and Bridget Kelly. This union has been blessed with five children: Hazel Marie, who was born June 28, 1903; John William, born January 26, 1905;  Thomas Edward, born February 2, 1907;  Mary M., born May 22, 1909; and Bridget E., whose birth occurred on the 5th of August 1911.
     Mr. Nicholson is a democrat in his political belief and at one time served as constable, but has never aspired to political office. He is a member of the Roman Catholic church of Cherry Mound, and his fraternal relations connect him with the Modern Brotherhood of America. His life has been one of continuous activity and the success which has come to him is well deserved, for he has ever followed the strictest business methods in all his business dealings with his fellowmen, and today he is numbered among the well-to-do and highly respected citizens of Allamakee county.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     No farmer in Allamakee county has achieved greater success in agricultural pursuits than Richard William Walsh, whose attractive homestead lies on section 26, Fairview township, and comprises three hundred and sixty acres. Through his own industry and enterprise he has gained an enviable degree of success and he stands today among the leading farmers and stock-raisers of this locality. He was born on the farm which he now operates in a pioneer log cabin, August 17, 1864, a son of William and Ellen (Reed) Walsh, natives of Ireland, the former born in County Galway, June 14, 1827, and the latter in County Mayo, December 25, 1834. The father's parents died in Ireland and when he was about twenty-one years of age he emigrated to America, obtaining employment at railroad work in Pennsylvania, where he remained for a number of years. He later moved to Galena, Illinois, and then to Allamakee county, Iowa, where he entered land and at the same time engaged in steamboating on the Mississippi river. During several seasons he engaged in this occupation and then settled upon his own farm, which was at that time entirely unimproved and covered with a dense growth of timber. With characteristic energy and enterprise he began clearing and developing this land and his well directed efforts were eventually rewarded by success, the farm becoming one of the finest and best equipped in this vicinity. He died upon his holdings, which comprised three hundred and sixty acres, January 18, 1911. His wife survives him and is living happily under the devoted care of her son, who places his mother's interests and welfare above all other considerations, making her happiness the main object of his life.
     Richard W. Walsh was reared upon his father's farm in Fairview township and in his childhood learned the details of farm operation by assisting with the work of homestead. At the age of twenty he went to LaCrosse, Wisconsin, where for four months he was employed by the St. Paul railroad, after which he moved to northern Minnesota and worked at farming in the employ of others for the remainder of the year. Returning to Wisconsin at the end of that time, he spent a winter in the northern lumber camps and then returned to Iowa, settling upon the homestead, where he remained six years. Removing then to Independence, Iowa, he rented a farm and after four years went to Minneapolis, where he was for three years engaged as a brakeman and switchman. Eventually he again returned to the homestead in Fairview township and upon this property he has since resided. He has steadily carried forward the work of improvement and development and has now a valuable and productive farm equipped with substantial buildings and provided with modern, labor-saving machinery. Mr. Walsh devotes a great deal of time to his farming and stock-raising interests and has won that success which follows earnest and persistent labor.
Mr. Walsh is a member of the Roman Catholic church and he gives his political allegiance to the democratic party. However, he votes independently when he feels that the best interests of the community demand such action and he has always taken an intelligent interest in the welfare and growth of his township. For about eight years he held the office of township trustee but refused to serve longer, preferring to concentrate his attention upon his business interests. His sterling qualities of mind and character have gained him the friendship of many, while his business record commends him to the confidence of his fellowmen, for at all times he is reliable and straightforward.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     Edward James Nicholson is a worthy representative of one of the pioneer families of Allamakee county. He devotes his entire time and attention to the operation of a tract of one hundred and twenty acres, located in Fairview township, and each year is adding to his financial resources. The farm on which he now resides was also the place of his birth, his natal day being June 13, 1879. His parents, William and Mary (Galagher) Nicholson, were both natives of the Emerald isle, the former born in County Galway and the latter in the County of West Meath. The father was a tanner, learning his trade in his native country. Following his emigration to the new world he was employed in a tannery in Amsterdam, New York, for a time, and later in connection with his father0in-law, he owned and conducted a tannery near that city. The plant was eventually destroyed by fire and Mr. Nicholson subsequently removed to Allamakee county and engaged in farming, continuing in this occupation until the time of his demise, which occurred February 6, 1894, when he had reached the age of sixty-two years. The mother, who was born in 1835, departed this life on the 26th of September, 1909, having reached the advanced age of seventy-four years.
     Edward James Nicholson was reared on the home farm and was trained to farm labor under his father's able direction. When not busy in this world he attended the district schools and therein fitted himself for a practical business life. At the age of eighteen years, his father having died in the meantime, he assumed the management of the homestead, remaining with his mother until her death. He is now the owner of the farm, comprising one hundred and twenty acres of well improved land, which annually yields good harvests in return for his labors. On the place are also found substantial farm buildings and a modern house. Mr. Nicholson is engaged in general farming and stock raising and is meeting with success.
     Mr. Nicholson established a home of his own on the 9th of October, 1911, by his marriage to Miss Catherine Finnegan, who is likewise a native of Fairview township, born January 13, 1891. She is the third in order of birth in a family of four children, born unto Patrick and Anna (O'Brien) Finnegan, the former born in Canada, November 15, 1855, while the mother's birth occurred in Taylor township, Allamakee county, September 1, 1860. The father came to the states with his parents when a lad of six years. He is now the owner of a valuable farm in Fairview township and is actively engaged in its operation.
     Mr. and Mrs. Nicholson have a son, Cleophus Anthony, who was born on the 2d of October, 1912. Mr. Nicholson gives his political support to the democratic party but he has never aspired to public office. He is a communicant of the Roman Catholic church at Cherry Mound. He is a wide-awake, energetic young man, and while he has already met with success, the future no doubt holds in store for him still greater prosperity.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     Since 1883 John J Broderick has lived upon his fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Fairview township and has carried forward its improvement and cultivation along modern and progressive lines, the results of his labors being evident today in the value, productiveness and attractive appearance of his homestead. He is a representative of one of the best known pioneer families in his section of the state, his grandfather having entered government land as early as 1845, having remained a continuous resident of Fairview township until his death. Mr. Broderick of this review was born at Dubuque, December 1, 1861, his parents being Hugh and Ellen (Rabbit) Broderick, the former born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1837, and the latter in County Roscommon on the 22d of December 1829. Hugh Broderick's mother died when he was still in his infancy and his father afterward married again. Crossing the Atlantic in 1845 the grandfather of our subject settled in Iowa, taking up government land on the site where the city of Des Moines now stands. He endured all of the hardships incident to life in the wilderness in those early times and was often in  danger of his life from the hostile Indians. Hugh Broderick and his brother-in-law, Thomas Cavanaugh, had one especially narrow escape, for they were captured, tied to the stake and about to be scalped before help arrived. In fact the knife had already been inserted at the base of Mr. Cavanaugh's head when an Indian to whom he had given a drink of whiskey a few days before came up and declared him to be a "good paleface" and untied the cord which bound the captives. They were released, given their clothing and sent back to their homes but Mr. Cavanaugh carried a deep scar at the back of his neck during the remainder of his life. He and Mr. Broderick afterward proved up on land to which they had entered a claim and the father of the subject of this review went to Dubuque, where he entered the employ of John T. Hancock as clerk in a general store. He remained in this capacity for eleven years, dying in 1864. His wife survived him until 1908.
     John J. Broderick acquired his education in the public schools of Elkport, Iowa, but his advantages along this line were extremely limited as he attended for only six months during his entire life. He grew up amid pioneer conditions, learning farming by practical experience upon his father's homestead, and when he was sixteen years of age he engaged as a farm laborer for Senator Garber at Elkport. He retained this position for five years and six months and in 1883 married and bought the John Walsh homestead of one hundred and twenty acres. He paid for as much of this land as his capital of one hundred dollars would buy and went into debt for the remainder. Upon the property he has continuously resided since that time, engaging in general farming and stock-raising, and he has met with excellent success, his property today being worthy of comparison with the finest farms in the state. His prosperity has come as a natural result of his own industry, firm determination and well directed labor and his career furnishes a splendid example of the value of these qualities in the attainment of an honorable place in the world.
     On the 2d of April, 1883, Mr. Broderick was united in marriage to Miss Alice M. Walsh, who was born in this township, May 29, 1862, a daughter of John and Maria (Carter) Walsh, natives of County Galway, Ireland, the former born August 15, 1819, and the latter, August 17th of the same year. The father crossed the Atlantic in 1840 and settled in Ohio, where he married a Miss Ryder, who died in that state. After a residence of four or five years there, John Walsh moved to Iowa and settled on the farm now owned by his son-in-law. he there married again, his second wife being Mrs. Broderick's mother, who had crossed the Atlantic in 1860. Mr. Walsh held various local offices and did especially efficient work for a number of years as the township trustee. Mr. and Mrs. Broderick became the parents of eleven children: Ellen, who was born April 10, 1884, and died January 18, 1893; John P., who was born March 17, 1886, and who married Rose McDonald; Michael, who was born October 15, 1888, and died October 19th of the same year; a son, born October 2, 1889, who died on the day of his birth; Mary E., who was born January 5, 1891, and who married William Finnegan, a farmer of Fairview township; Alice, who was born December 25, 1892, and whose death occurred a few days later; a child, who died in 1895; Hugh J., who was born May 1, 1896 and who resides at home; Katherine Irene, born June 8, 1898; Alice Estrella, born January 30, 1901; and a child, who died in 1903. Mr. and Mrs. Broderick have also an adopted son, Thomas J., who was born December 7, 1904.
     Mr. Broderick and family are members of the Cherry Mound Roman Catholic church and he is a republican in his political beliefs, taking an active and intelligent interest in the welfare of the section which his parents and grandparents did so much to upbuild. He served as justice of the peace for nine years and since 1896 has been a notary public. In addition to this office he holds that of assessor of Fairview township and in this capacity has for the past five years discharged his duties in a capable and efficient way. Aside from his general farming and stock-raising interests he acts also as agent for four insurance companies in this vicinity and has secured a large and important patronage along this line, being known as a far-sighted, discriminating and resourceful business man. Mr. Broderick is well known throughout Fairview township and enjoys the confidence and respect of his neighbors, being accounted an active worker and a progressive farmer whose record is worthy of a name long known and honored in this locality.


History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

John J. Finn, a well known farmer and stock raiser residing in Cascade, was born in 1844, in County Galway, Ireland, where also his parents, Thomas and Sabina Finn, were born. The family immigrated to the United States in 1851, and were at Dubuque at the time of the cholera epidemic. The mother died of the scourge, the father later removing to Jones County, Iowa, with his children, locating near Temple Hill. He subsequently moved to a farm on section 20, Whitewater township, in 1866, where he died in 1883 when seventy-three years old. he and his wife were the parents of six children: Patrick, Mary, Bridget, John J., Ann and Catherine. Mary and Bridget are now dead. John J. Finn was brought up to do hard work on the farm and in his early years attended school at Temple Hill, continuing to make his home with his father until the latter's death. His entire life has been passed in farming, stock raising occupying no little share of his attention. He has worked hard, dealt squarely with his fellowman and is recognized as one of the substantial, progressive and up-to-date men of the community. In 1886 he was united in marriage with Miss Ellen McLaughlin, a native of Jackson county, Iowa. Mrs. Finn is the daughter of James and Mary McLaughlin, who were natives of Ireland and Massachusetts, respectively. James McLaughlin came to the United States when a young man, and after his marriage in Massachusetts moved to Iowa, where he passed the remainder of his days, an honored and respected citizen. He died in 1896, aged seventy-four years, followed by his widow in 1906, aged eighty-one. They were the parents of Mrs. T.L. Donovan, Mrs. John J Finn, Mrs. P.T. Brady, Mrs. E.W. Doherty, and Mrs. R.E. Curoe. All these are now living.
There has been four children born to Mr and Mrs Finn, as follows: Sybil, Stephen, Irena, and Viola. Aside from his fine farm and Hereford cattle, Mr. Finn is a stockholder and director of the Farmers' & Mechanics' State Bank of Cascade. Few families stand higher in the estimation of the surrounding community than that of John J. Finn.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

     The pioneer history of Allamakee county would be incomplete were there failure to make prominent reference to William Hart, who for fifty-six years resided within its borders, taking up his residence in Paint Creek township in 1852. He was then a young man, ambitious and energetic, looking forward to what the future might hold in store for him as a reward for his industry and determination. A few years after his arrival here he married and established a home and throughout his remaining days continued a resident of this section of the state.
Mr. Hart was a native of Ireland, his birth having occurred in County Galway. In the year 1849 he crossed the Atlantic to the new world and after years spent elsewhere made his way to Allamakee county in 1852, taking an abode in Cherry Mount settlement in Paint Creek township. He found the district largely wild and undeveloped. Much of the land was still in possession of the government and was covered with the native prairie grasses, starred with a million wild flowers in the month of June and in mid-winter covered with an unbroken dazzling sheet of snow. Mr. Hart at once took up the arduous task of developing new land and from that time forward was closely associated with agricultural interests in this county.
     It was on the 1st of November, 1855, that William  Hart was united in marriage to Miss Alicia Conway, who was also a native of Ireland, born in County Roscommon. She left the Emerald Isle for the purpose of making her home with a brother who was then living in Paint Creek township, Allamakee county. She continued with him until her marriage then went to her husband's home in the Cherry Mount settlement, where their remaining days were passed. They began with their domestic life in one of the primitive old-time cabins, which stands as a venerable relic upon the farm which is now the property of their son Hon. William S. Hart. Year by year the father carefully plowed the fields and cultivated his crops and success rewarded him as time passed.
     Mr. and Mrs. Hart became the parents of a large family but lost two of their daughters, Sarah J. and Nellie, in early womanhood. Their surviving children are M.J., a resident of Waterville, J.P., who makes his home in Saskatchewan, Canada; William S.; John J., of Waterville; Mary A., who resides in Saskatchewan; and Mrs. Katie Lloyd, of Linton township. The death of the mother occurred on the 12th of June, 1897, when she was sixty-eight years of age. Her husband survived her for about eleven years, departing this life on the 1st of April, 1908. He had reached the venerable age of eighty-three years and was one of the oldest residents of the county at the time of his death, notable in point of longevity but also in length of his connection with this part of the state. His life was a busy and useful one. There was nothing spectacular in his career but he bore his part in the work of general improvement and lived to see many notable changes as log cabins were replaced by commodious and substantial frame and brick residences, as primitive farm machinery was transplanted by the modern cultivator, reaper and harvester and as churches and schools were built, thus developing the intellectual and moral forces of the community.


History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa 1882... Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883

Michael Kilkenny, farmer, P.O. Honey Creek, was born in Galway, Ireland, about 1827; came to America 1853. In 1855, he came to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and ran a dairy for Presley Sanders, brother of ex-Gov. Sanders, of Nebraska; was at Mt. Pleasant for about five years, and then to Glenwood, Mills County, working for Tootle, Green & Co, in a store. Came to Council Bluffs after about five years spent in Glenwood, and was in the dairy business for some time, and then went to plastering for John Hammer. March, 1867, he came to Broomer township and went to farming and has been engaged in that business ever since. He traded fifty acres of land before coming here, but now his farm consists of 250 acres. His farming is general, but mostly stock-raising. He was married in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, to Miss Nora Lines. They have six children, four boys and two daughters. He is a Democrat in politics, and is a Catholic.


History of Crawford County, F. W. Meyers. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.

     P.F. Burke, one of the foremost representatives of a family which for two generations has been closely identified with the agricultural development of Crawford county, is a native of Ireland, his birth occurring in County Galway. His parents, Martin and Margaret (Grady) Burke, were born and married in the same county but migrated to the United States when their son was about ten years of age. After living in Jersey City for two years they removed to Crawford county, Iowa, locating on a farm four miles southeast of Buck Grove. They were thrifty, hard-working people and when the father retired five years ago they were cultivating four hundred acres of land, all of which they owned. Mr. Burke made a specialty of stock-raising and met with most gratifying success in that venture. Four children were born to him and his wife, the order of their birth being as follows: P.F., Ed, Martin and M.J. The three latter all live in Denison. The wife and mother passed away in 1905 but the father is still living and makes his home in Denison, enjoying the comfort and ease which the income from his large estate provides him.
     P.F. Burke attended the district schools of Crawford county. His early years were spent in a manner similar to most farm lads and when not in school he had to assist in the work of the farm, his duties and responsibilities increasing with the passing years. He remained at home until he had passed his twenty-fourth birthday and then rented land in Washington township, which he cultivated until four years ago, when he bought the place where he is now living. His homestead consists of one hundred and sixty acres of well improved and highly cultivated land in Washington township. Although he engages in general farming and stock raising he makes a specialty of breeding and raising hogs and is rewarded by most lucrative returns.
     Mr. Burke was united in marriage in 1900 to Miss Margaret Faulkner, who is a native of Green county, Iowa, and they have become the parents of the following children: Joseph, Edward and Leonard. Edward, the second child, has now passed away. The family attend the Catholic church, of which the parents are communicants. Mr. Burke's fraternal relations are confined to his membership in the Modern Woodmen of America, his local affiliation being with the Dow City Lodge. Ever since acquiring the rights of suffrage Mr. Burke has given his support to the candidates of the democratic party. He does not take a particular interest in local politics, not being and aspirant for office. However, he meets the demands of good citizenship by going to the polls and casting a ballot on election day.


The History of Jones County, Iowa; .Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879

     Thomas Kinney, farmer, sec 1; P.O. Anamosa, was born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1823, he grew to manhood there and emigrated to America in 1854; he went to Charleston, S.C. and lived there fifteen years and came to Jones county, Iowa, May 4, 1869 and located in Anamosa; in 1875 he engaged in farming. He has been twice married; his last wife, Bridget Dorsey, a native of Ireland, died February 4, 1879, leaving three children- John, 23 years of age; Luke, 22 years of age; Mary Ann, 17 years of age. When Mr. Kinney came here he only had $10; he now owns a farm of 40 acres and a house and lot in Anamosa.


The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Robert E. Flickinger. Fonda: G. Sanborn, 1904.

     Calligan, John (b. 1822) who was the first settler to effect the location of his family in Pocahontas county, on the SE Sec 2, Lizard township, is a native of Galway county, Ireland. In 1847 at 25 he came to St. John's, New Brunswick,and the next year to Maine, where in 1849 at Ellsworth he married Bridget, sister of Michael Broderick. He remained there until the spring of 1856, when he brought his family to Fort Dodge, where he arrived May 13th. This trip was one he never forgot. He came on the cars as far as Dubuque, which as the terminus of the railroad. He paid the driver of a stage coach $45 to take his wife and four children to Fort Dodge, and then he set out on foot and walked the entire distance of 200 miles. The only bridge west of Dubuque was at Cedar Falls over the Cedar river. Usually he had to wade or swim the streams. Arriving in Fort Dodge he pushed on 20 miles further west where his brother-in-law, Michael Broderick, was awaiting his arrival, and by his help he was enabled to locate his family on the frontier in the Lizard settlement before those who had taken claims before him. These facts suggest the courage and indomitable perseverance of the man. He did not shrink from a task because it was difficult. If the wilderness was wild before him he knew why he had traveled all the way from Maine to the Lizard and without any indecision or hesitancy began to lay the foundation for his future home and fortune. In this effort he encountered many discouragements, but rising above them, achieved good success. He possessed the faculty of utilizing to good advantage the resources of nature that for many years were free around him. As the years passed he enlarged and beautified his home, increased his original farm to several hundred acres and occupied it until 1894 when he moved to Gilmore City, where his estimable wife, also a native of Ireland, died at 80 in 1901.
     His house was used for the elections and meetings of the township officers during the year 1865. He served as a trustee of the township in 1862, was a member of the first school board, and the first school district was named in his honor.
     His family consisted of five children:
     Edward M. (b. Maine, 1850) who taught the first school in Fonda, in 1878 married Mary Lane and located on a farm. He served several years each as clerk, trustee and justice. A few years ago he moved to Dakota City where his wife died in 18?? leaving a family of eleven children.
    Mary A. in 1872 married M.J. Henneberry, lives in Humboldt county and has six children.
     Thomas J. (b. Maine, 1853) in 1878 married Mary J. Crilly and their only child died in infancy. He has a splendid farm in Lizard township which he occpuied until a few years ago, when he moved to Gilmore City where he has since been engaged in the real estate business. He was a member of the board of county supervisors 1884-1885.
     Ellen F. in 1880 married P.R. Powers, lives at Lohrville and has a family of nine children.
     Maggie (b. Aug 11, 1857) the second child born in Pocahontas county, in 1884 married Morris O'Connor, who died the next year leaving one child. In 1889 she married James Whelan, lives at Emmetsburg and their family consists of eleven children.


Iowa Recorder ; Greene, Butler, Iowa; Feb 4, 1902

Sketch of Life of Resident of Chester, 108 Years Old

     Lime Springs, Jan 29- About two miles southwest of Chester, Ia., lives Mrs. Noonan, believed to be the oldest person in Iowa, and perhaps in the northwest.
     Mrs. Noonan was born in Woodford, County Galway, Ireland, August 14, 1794, and is therefore 108 years of age, and has lived in three centuries. Her maiden name was Julia Lynch.
     Eighty one years next March she was married to Michael Noonan, supervisor of government roads in her native county. In the fall of 1854 they came to America and established their home at Newark, Ohio. Three years afterward they moved to Warnersville, Wis., and again in 1872 to Chester, Iowa.
     Mr. Noonan died in 1882. Since the death of her husband she has lived with her only son, Patrick Noonan, the youngest member of her family, now 55 years of age. Her eldest daughter is Mrs. Anne Burk of Chicago, 81 years of age. Mrs. John Kelley of Chester and Mrs. James Cannon of Cresco, Ia., are the other two daughters. One of her deceased daughters was Mrs. Thos. O'Hare of Fort Dodge, Iowa.
     Mrs. Noonan remembers well the time Queen Victoria was born. She was in Dublin at the time Victoria was crowned and was living also at the time that Napoleon became emperor of France. She is eager to live out her long life to its very end.
     Mrs. Noonan likes to be among children, and likes to listen to their noise. She sews without glasses. Some of her fancy work took first prize in the Howard county fair of 1901. Her faculties are all good. She gets her own breakfast, makes her own bed and walks about the room with no support but her cane.
     The ancestors of Mrs. Noonan were nearly all given long leases of life. She has always been healthy. She has lived on plain food, and still has a very good appetite. Her conversation is mostly about things as they were fifty or seventy-five years ago.
     The number of her living grandchildren is thirty-four. She also has twenty great grandchildren.


The History of Jones County, Iowa; .Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879

     Patrick Perryman, farmer, Sec. 25,; P.O. Anamosa; was born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1818; he came to the United States in 1840; he lived in New Orleans nine years, when he came to Jones Co., he purchased a farm in Richland Township, which he sold and bought the farm where he now lives. He was married to Catherine Phelan, who was born in Ireland; they have five sons and three daughters- Thomas, Mary J., John, Emma, Michael, Edward, Henry and Sarah. He has 170 acres of land; is a member of the Catholic church; is Independent in politics.


Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Webster and Hamilton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888.

 Michael Calligan, residing on section 35, Cooper Township, is one of the pioneers of 1857. He is a native of County Galway, Ireland, and came to the United States in 1844. In 1846 he married Catherine McGee, a native of County Monoghan, Ireland, who came to America when quite young. After their marriage they settled in Salisbury, Connecticut, where they lived several years, and in 1857 moved West and settled in Fort Dodge. Mrs. Calligan died several years ago. They had a family of four children, three daughters and one son- Susan M. married James McCoskie in 1863, and died in 1864; Mary E. married C.W. Maher in 1870, and is now a resident of Badger Township; Catherine E. is the widow of L.C. Warner and lives at Miles City, Montana; Frank is engaged in the mercantile business at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Mr. Calligan has been an industrious, energetic citizen and is respected by all who know him.


Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Webster and Hamilton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888.

Edward James Kennedy, of Deer Creek Township, is one of the respected citizens of Webster County. He resides on the southeast quarter of section 9, where he settled in 1876. He was born in County Galway, Ireland, about 1838, a son of Edward and Catherine Kennedy, who died when he was quite young. After the death of the parents the children all came to America and located in Massachusetts, but all except two sisters who now live in New York, finally came West. Edward was about twelve years old when he came to America. He lived in Massachusetts until the fall of 1860, when he came to Fort Dodge, and in the fall of 1861 enlisted in the defense of his adopted country, in Company A, of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry. He served three years as Sergeant, being in active service all the time, and was a brave and faithful soldier. He was never wounded by the bullets of the enemy, but was severely injured by the fall of his horse and has never fully recovered from its effects. Since his return from the war he has lived in Webster County and the faithful soldier has made a worthy citizen. Mr. Kennedy was married February 2, 1869, to Mary Maher, a daughter of Stephen and Mary Maher, early settlers of Webster County. Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy have five children- Edward L., Charles W., Maggie Janet, Stephen F, and Joseph L.


Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Webster and Hamilton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888.

Thomas Crowell, section 24, Badger Township, is one of the prominent pioneers. He was born in County Galway, Ireland, near the city of Galway, June 9, 1811, his parents being also natives and life-long residents of that county. He was reared a farmer and was educated in the schools of the neighborhood, remaining at home until 1849, when on account of hard times in Ireland, and his dislike for the Government, he determined to try his fortunes in America, where his two brothers had preceded him several years before. April 27, 1849, he sailed from Galway on the ship Rebecca, commanded by Captain Simpson, and after a stormy voyage of six weeks and four days, landed in Boston. He went immediately to the town of Ellsworth, Maine, and remained about eight years, working for wages and in 1857 moved to Webster County, Iowa, landing in Fort Dodge April 30. He worked as a laborer in Fort Dodge until the spring of 1870, when he moved to his present farm, having previously bought the land with the money he had saved from his earnings. At this time his land was an unbroken prairie, but by industry and energy he has converted it into a productive farm. He has taken an active interest in public affairs, and is one of the representative men of his township, and has filled many important offices, discharging his duties faithfully and conscientiously. He has made the most of his advantages, and although he received but a fair education, his fondness for reading and retentive memory has given him a good fund of general information. His honest and upright course through life has gained for him many friends. In politics he is a strong supporter of the Democratic party, and employs every honorable means to advance the cause of his party. He is a member of Corpus Christ Catholic church, and one of its liberal supporters. August 1, 1842, he married May Ford, a native of County Galway, Ireland. They had a family of ten children, but five of whom are living- May, wife of Stephen Wilhelm, of Fort Dodge; Ellen, wife of Edward Flaherty, of Douglas Township; Catherine, wife of John Smith, of Wyandotte, Kansas; J.H. of Fort Dodge, and Walter , at home.

[Note that Corpus Christi RC church marriage records give the date of marriage of Ellen Crowell and Edward Flaherty as 7 July 1867. Also the marriage of Maria Crowell and Stephen Wilhelm occurred on 1 July 1865. Another Crowell marriage listed in Corpus Christi records is that of Frances F. Crowell and Henry M. Barth 28 Oct 1896.]


Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Webster and Hamilton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888.

     Patrick Mitchell, section 19, Badger Township, is one of its very earliest settlers, coming here in June, 1856. He was the third settler, and is the oldest now living here, the other two, Shaefer and Doan, having long since left. At that time they were the only families living north of Fort Dodge except the Havilands. In the same year and the same time came Stephen Maher and Martin Mitchell, the latter having since removed from the county. Mr. Mitchell is a native of Ireland, born in County Galway, November 8, 1816. He was reared a farmer, receiving a good common school education in his native parish. When he arrived at manhood he resolved to try his fortunes in the new world, and May 22, 1837, embarked at Liverpool in the sailing ship Montpelier, commanded by Captain Meigs, and after a voyage of two months, which had been attended by a violent storm, lasting thirteen days, almost resulting in a total shipwreck, arrived at New York July 22. He proceeded directly to Philadelphia, and was soon after employed as laborer on the railroads being built. In 1840 he went to LaSalle County, Illinois, and remained there until 1856, when he sold out and moved to Webster County, Iowa, locating on the farm where he now lives. Before the organization of the township, as at present constituted, he was one of the township directors, and has been prominently identified with the development and improvement of the township from its first settlement to the present and has taken an interest in all matters pertaining to the public welfare. He is now the owner of 200 acres of good land, the most of which is under cultivation and his residence and farm buildings are commodious and conveniently arranged. He has served the township a number of years as its secretary, and for a number of years at different times he has been a member of the school board. In January, 1853, he was married to Miss Ann Kennedy, a native of Galway County, Ireland, who came to America when about eighteen years old. They have seven children- Peter, a merchant of Fort Dodge; Edward and John, merchants at Lehigh; Patrick, engaged in railroading; Mary, a school teacher; William at home, and Michael, who is also engaged in teaching school. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell are still hale and hearty, and entertain their callers with true Irish hospitality. They have been useful and successful members of the community, and by industry and economy they have acquired a competency, enabling them to spend the evening of their lives in comparative ease. In politics Mr. Mitchell is a Democrat, and in religion they are members of Corpus Christi Catholic Church at Fort Dodge.


Biographical Record and Portrait Album of Webster and Hamilton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888.

Stephen Maher was one of the worthy old pioneers of Webster County, and was among those who settled here in 1856, and was one of the first settlers in Badger Township. He was a native of Galway County, Ireland, where he was born in 1807. After arriving at manhood he emigrated to Canada, and some time later, probably about 1830, he married at Prescott, Ontario, Miss Catherine Duff, who was born in Queen's County, Ireland, April 10, 1801. They settled in the Ottawa Valley, in Carlton County, Ontario, then called Upper Canada, about twenty miles from the beautiful city of Ottawa, now the seat of government, but at that time a small place called Bytown. There Mr. Maher bought a new and heavily timbered farm, which he cleared up and otherwise improved. During the winters he was quite largely engaged in lumbering, and manufacturing timber for the European markets, and in the spring this timber was put into large rafts and floated down the Ottawa and St. Lawrence Rivers to Montreal and Quebec. To this branch of the business Mr. Maher gave his personal supervision and in so doing he became so familiar with the various channels in the two large rivers, that he became quite an expert pilot, and acted as such a number of seasons on these waters. At the time of McKenzie's Rebellion, in 1837-'38, Mr. Maher took up arms in defense of that country, and served till the close of the trouble. About 1846 he sold out in Canada and brought his family west, to Chicago, when that now large and prosperous city was but a small village. He remained there about six months and came about sixty miles west, and settled near Ottawa, Illinois, where he engaged in farming and resided until the spring of 1856, when, prompted apparently by a fondness for frontier life, he left that State and came to this county, making the journey with teams, and settled on section 18, where he resided until the time of his death, which occurred in June, 1876. He was  man of a strong and vigorous constitution, preserving and industrious in his habits, with an indomitable will and determination, bold and fearless at all times, slow to give offense himself, but he would promptly resent any injury or insult offered to him or a friend in his presence, but withal he was kind and "generous to a fault," and like the hearty Irishman he was, dispensed open -handed hospitality to all comers regardless of creed or occupation. Many a weary traveler has found a hearty welcome to his fireside, and been refreshed and fed at his table. This generosity was the natural outgrowth of a kind heart as he was never known to accept pay for such hospitality, and did not consider it a compliment to be asked to put a cash value on his acts of kindness. During the "Spirit Lake massacre" of 1857, when the whole country was terror-stricken, and the few scattering settlers throughout the county were fleeing to Fort Dodge for safety, Mr. Maher and family remained on their farm, though every other family in the township had left their homes and taken refuge in the town. True to that courage which was characteristic of his nature he refused to leave, though to stay was quite contrary to the wishes of his wife and family. His sons and neighbors still relate the following amusing incident that happened during that troublous time. One day two gentlemen, who are still residents of this county, were passing along the road at a distance from Mr. Maher's house, when they espied near his place some objects moving around near the timber, and at once jumped at the conclusion-influenced no doubt by fear- that they were a band of savages, and their vivid imaginations painted to their mind's eyes a body of wild Indians in war paint and on the "war path" in search of gore. They quickened their pace and hastened to Fort Dodge, and gave the alarm, when there was a body of horseman numbering about eighty, under command of Dr. Nicholson, dispatched at once to defend the Maher family. As the gallant Doctor was nearing the premises he saw a man with a rifle, not far from Mr. Maher's house, and saw him disappear in the woods. This person he thought was an Indian, and it verified his suspicions, and he little expected to find any of the Mahers alive, and was somewhat surprised to find the old gentleman quietly surrounded by his family ,but a little surprised at having such distinguished company. When the matter was fully explained, it turned out that the objects seen by the two gentlemen referred to above were a flock of sand cranes, and the supposed Indian with the rifle seen by the Doctor, was Thomas F. Maher, who had been out trying to get a shot at some of the cranes, and seeing the horseman approaching fled to the house, making his way through the edge of the timber and returning by the back door. The Doctor entreated Mr. Maher to leave his home and take his family to town, assuring him that by remaining they were running a great risk of losing their lives; but the old man was inexorable. Stephen Maher had come there to stay, and stay he would and did. While it was probably not the wisest course to pursue, under the circumstances, the incident serves to illustrate that fearless determination which was a part of his nature. Mr. Maher was a first cousin of that brave soldier, General Thomas Francis Meagher. Mr. and Mrs. Maher had born unto them four sons and two daughters. One son and one daughter died while young. Those who grew to maturity are - Thomas F., Charles W., Mary, now Mrs. E. Kennedy, of Deer Creek Township, and Patrick, who was in the navy during the late war, and died at Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1864. Mrs. Maher is still living, and resides with her daughter, Mrs. Kennedy.


Harlan, Edgar Rubey. A Narrative History of the People of Iowa. Vol IV. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931 p. 49

   THOMAS HUNT JOYCE, although born in Ireland, has been an Iowan since his earliest years, and is extremely loyal to his home state and is always interested in promoting any enterprise that will further the growth or betterment of his home town of Keokuk and Iowa. His life work has not been confined to Iowa alone. Mr. Joyce is head of a group of contracting firms whose activities in railroad building and highway construction radiates over half a dozen midwestern states.
    Mr. Joyce was born in County Galway, Ireland, May 24, 1867. In 1870, when he was three years old, he came with his parents, Patrick and Mary Hunt Joyce, to the United States, landing in New York and going directly to Keokuk. His father chose to settle in Keokuk because at that time the Government was building a large canal between Nashville (now Galland) and Keokuk, and he was to be employed by contractors in the construction work there. This canal was in later years submerged when the Mississippi River Power Company built the dam between Keokuk, Iowa and Hamilton, Illinois. When the canal was completed his family moved to a farm near Breckenridge, Illinois, where they remained four years. His father on leaving he farm took up work with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company during the construction of the Santa Fe line between Chicago and Kansas City. When this work had been completed Patrick Joyce, with his family, returned to Keokuk and for an umber of years was engaged in the teaming and contracting business, until his death, September 1, 1901. His wife died in 1877.
    In the meantime Thomas Joyce was acquiring a common school and practical education, and was  from boyhood in touch with the great work of railway construction. He attended the Beggs School at Galland and schools in Keokuk until he was fourteen and in after years he made up for some of his deficiencies of his earlier training by attending night school classes in Keokuk. While working with his father on the construction of the Santa Fe line between Chicago and Kansas City he gained the inspiration to become a contractor. From the age of twenty-one to twenty-five he was employed by different contracting companies in Iowa and nearby states.
    In 1893 he became superintendent for the contracting firm of Cameron & McManus of Keokuk, while they had the contract for the building of a terminal and switching yards around Keokuk. In August of the same year he was taken into the partnership and the firm's name changed to Cameron, McManus & Joyce. This partnership existed for nineteen years, until the death of Mr. James Cameron in October, 1912, and Mr. Thomas F. McManus in February of 1913. The business was then reorganized by Mr. Joyce and the new partnership was called Cameron, Joyce & Company. In the new partnership the members in addition to Mr. Joyce were James Cameron, oldest son of the former partner, George E. Smith and Robert E. O'Brien. In 1918, after Mr. O'Brien severed his connection with the partnership, the company was incorporated by the following: Thomas H. Joyce, James Cameron, George E. Smith, and James M. Joyce.
    The contracting companies with which Mr. Joyce has been associated have been leaders in the contracting work for the Santa Fe, and have done work for them continuously since 1894. The grading contracts awarded to the companies with which Mr. Joyce has been associated have extended from Chicago to Kansas and through the far West.
    About eighty miles of the grading done preparatory to the laying of the double track between Chicago and Kansas City was done by Cameron, McManus & Joyce. At the time of the World's Fair in Saint Louis, the Cameron, Joyce & Company partnership did the heavy grading on the Mexico-Old Road. Another interesting contract awarded the partnership was a pipe line job for the Santa Fe, involving the handling and laying of pipe which was hauled fourteen miles from Flagstaff, Arizona, in wagons and distributed around the mountainside and then packed up by burros up the mountains a distance of from one and one-half to three miles.
     In 1926 Cameron, Joyce & Company, of which Mr. Joyce is now president, was awarded a large contract by the Santa Fe on a cut off near Mulvane, Kansas. This work involved about seven hundred thousand yards of grading. The company, together with its subsidiary companies, have also handled a number of grading jobs for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, the Illinois Central and the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway Companies.
    In recent years these contracting companies have taken up highway paving, and have had contracts that included grading, culverts, bridge construction, and the laying of the slab in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri and Minnesota. In 1928, approximately one hundred miles of eighteen foot slab was laid, and in the construction of these highways five hundred men were employed by Cameron, Joyce Companies, as well as twenty subcontractors, who employed about thirty men each.
    In coming to a high place in the business world Mr. Joyce has brought with him and promoted the success of many others. Mr. Joyce is always interested in ambitious men, and puts opportunities in their way and has that broad and tolerant spirit which overlooks some of the ways of youth and endeavors to inspire them with high ideas and ideals. Love of work, natural leadership among men and a determination to succeed account for his record of successful achievements in business. He has been persevering, has weighed well the circumstances in connection with his undertakings, and has regarded the essentials of accomplishment above personal advantage and personal comfort.
    As a result of Mr. Joyce's steady advance in the business world he finds himself at present the president of Cameron, Joyce, & Company, Cameron, Joyce, Smith, Elder Company, Cameron, Joyce Steam Shovel Company, Hamilton Contracting Company; president and treasurer of the Scott-Edwards Printing Company; treasurer of the Tri State Roofing Company; partner in J. Burk-Coco Cola Bottling Company; director of the Keokuk National Bank, Purity Oats Company and the Southwest Box Company; chairman of the board of directors of the Super Oil Company; member of the American General Contractors Association. At the time final arrangements were being made for the building of the Keokuk and Hamilton Dam he was a director of the Industrial Association, now known as the Chamber of Commerce, and helped in the raising of $60,000 for the betterment and advertisement of Keokuk.
    Mr. Joyce is a Roman Catholic. He is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Keokuk Country Club, The Keokuk Club, the Hancock County Automobile Club, the Rotary Club, and has been interested in a number of campaigns in behalf of the Democratic candidates.
    Mr. Joyce was married, November 26, 1885, to Ella Croughan, daughter of a retired farmer of Clark County, Missouri. Their marriage was solemnized by the Rev. Thomas O'Reilly, pastor of Saint Peter's Catholic Church of Keokuk, Iowa.
    Having often felt the disadvantage of not attending school as a boy, Mr. Joyce has generously offered to his six children the advantage of a college education. His oldest daughter, Marybel, attended Saint Mary's Notre Dame and the University of Iowa. After finishing two years of college she was married to David L. Hassett in June, 1923. They now have three children, Joyce, Sallyann and Ruth. His second daughter, Ann, received her A.B. degree from Trinity College, Washington, D.C. His son Thomas received his A.B. degree from the University of Iowa. James finished two years' work at the University and then accepted a position as manager of the Super Oil Company. James also manages the farming of about five hundred acres of farm land for his father. Mr. Joyce has carried over from his childhood a great love of the farm, and his hobby is overseeing and helping his son with the farm management. Helen and John are now attending the University of Iowa.



Biographical Record of Hamilton County, Iowa. New York & Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1902 pp. 338-339

     Michael Brady, who now owns and operates one hundred and sixty acres of well improved land on section 26, Blairsburg township, which he has developed from its wild condition to its present high state of cultivation, was born in county Galway, Ireland, his parents being John and Mary (Dowe) Brady, both of whom were natives of that country. They came to this country some years before our subject. The father died in February, 1878, and the mother survived until February 3, 1891. 
     In the year 1859 Michael Brady came to America, landing in New York, whence he immediately went to Providence, Rhode Island. He began work here as a farm laborer and followed various occupations scorning no employment which would yield to him an honest living. He is the fourth in order of birth of a family of eleven children and he had a brother Martin and a sister, Mrs. Alice Murray, who are living in Providence, Rhode Island, which was the cause of his choosing that place as a location. Another brother, Frank, died in Webster City, Iowa, March 3, 1894.
     Mr. Brady of this review was united in marriage to Miss Mary Linn, who was born in county West Meath, Ireland, and in 1869 came with her parents to America. Their names were Peter and Ann Linn and they established their home in Providence, Rhode Island. Mrs. Brady was the fourth in order of birth among ten children. Her mother died April 23, 1888 in her eightieth year, and the father passed away April 2, 1869, in his eightieth year, Mrs. Brady being now the only survivor of the large family.
     In the year 1876 our subject and his wife came to Hamilton county, finding here what was largely an unbroken wilderness, the land being still in its primitive condition. Mr. Brady first began working on the section for the Illinois Central Railroad Company and was thus employed for seventeen years. Like many of the settlers of that day, he built a little home on the prairie. He and his family first lived on a forty acre tract of the railroad company's land east of Blairsburg. The country was full of sloughs and wild game was very plentiful. Many hardships and trials came to the little household which if written in detail would form an interesting history of pioneer times in this county. The locality was visited by many blizzards which would often continue two or three days at a time and the settlers would have to melt snow in order to furnish drink for their cattle. They would also have to dig and shovel paths through the snow which fell to a great depth making travel almost utterly impossible. At different times the railroad has been so blocked that for two weeks no trains ran regularly. In 1881 an engine and caboose were all that could get through the snow. Mr. Brady remained east of Blairsburg until about 1890, when with his family he settled on his present farm on section 26, Blairsburg township. He planted all of the trees here, made all of the improvements and has developed an excellent property. In addition to general farming he carries on stock-raising and his corn crop annually produces from thirty to forty bushels to the acre, while his oats yield a similar amount.
     Politically, Mr. Brady is a Democrat and his family are identified with the Catholic church of Williams. Six children have been born until Mr. Brady and his wife: Peter, at home; Mary, who married May 12, 1896, to Frank Murphy and now has two children, Arthur and Kate; Kate, Alice, John and Ann, who are still under the parental roof. Mr. Brady is now practically living retired from farm labor, while his sons conduct the home place. Like many of the honored and honorable citizens who have come to America from foreign lands he is a self-made man, who by hard work and the assistance of his estimable wife has acquired a comfortable competence.