DERRY / LONDONDERRY BIOS

 

LONG

"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

James Long was born in County Londonderry, Ireland, July 12, 1821. In 1848 he came to the United States, landing in New Orleans with $5 in his pocket an entire stranger. He obtained employment on a farm in White Co., Ill., where he remained one summer; he then went to Pillsbury, Pa., to meet his father and mother, brothers and sisters, who had come to the United States. They came to Iowa and located in Le Claire Township in 1851, where his father purchased a farm of 160 acres. James Long's parents were John and Rebecca (Morrison) Long, natives of Ireland, and the parents of four children, viz.: Andrew, Rachel, James and Elisha. John Long died in August, 1862, having been one of Le Claire Township's early settlers; his wife died in November, 1869. In 1857 James Long married Anna Henry, a native of Ireland, and the daughter of James and Anna Henry, also natives of the Emerald Isle. After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Long they resided on his father's farm until November, 1858, when he moved on his present farm, which he purchased in 1854, while working at the mason's trade; it contains 120 acres of land, valued at $50 an acre. Mr. Long also owns 80 acres in Crawford County, and 10 in Princeton Township. As he has accumulated his property by his own personal exertion, he claims the honor of being a self-made man. Mr. and Mr. Long are members of the United Presbyterian church, in which he has held the office of elder for 12 years. They have one adopted child, whose parents were John and Mary J. McCool. Mr. Long has been identified with the Republican party since its organization. He has held several local offices in his township.

GAMBLE

"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

     James Gamble, M. D., Le Claire, was born near Londonderry, Ireland, March 6, 1821. His parents emigrated to the United States when he was a mere child, and settled near Wilmington, Del., where they remained until 1836, when they removed to Pittsburgh, Pa. An older brother being engaged in the printing business, James and a younger brother, Dr. Thos. D. Gamble, were early initiated into the mysteries of that art. In the spring of 1840 he removed to Warsaw, Ill., and in connection with the Hon. T. C. Sharp, published the Warsaw Singal. The paper was an ardent supporter of Gen. Harrison and the Whig principles of that exciting campaign, though being under age he could not vote at the October election of that year. When the Mormon troubles began in Hancock County he sold his interest in the Signal to his partner, and removed to New Orleans, where he commenced the study of medicine under the direction of the celebrated Dr. Warren Stone. In 1844 he came to St. Louis and entered the office of the late Prof. Joseph N. M'Dowell, where he remained until his graduation in 1847, in the medical department of the Missouri University. In July of that year he came to Le Claire, and at once entered upon the practice of his chosen profession, in the active duties of which he is still engaged.
     Dr. Gamble is a member of the American Medical Association, and of the Iowa Medical Society, of which he was treasurer in 1857, and president in 1870. He is also one of the oldest members of the Scott County Medical Society, having united with it in 1857. He is by many years the oldest practicing physician in Scott County. In 1862 he served as assistant surgeon in the Third Regiment of Iowa Volunteer Infantry in Tennessee and Mississippi. Dr. Gamble has held many public offices in Le Claire, and is at present president of the School Board; is noted for liberality and the interest he has ever taken in promoting the cause of education, as well as many other public enterprises. In July, 1848, he was married at Springfield, Ill., to Eliza, daughter of Robert Goudy, Esq.

MOORE

"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co,"

John Moore, farmer and stock-raiser, Le Claire, was born near Londonderry, Ireland, March 4, 1813, son of Samuel and Mary (Teas) Moore. They were married in 1810. By this union there were nine children. In 1849 Mr. Moore emigrated to the United States and located on section 19, Le Claire Township, Scott Co., son and daughter coming as early as 1836. The subject of this sketch left Ireland for the United States in 1834 and landed in Philadelphia, where he followed the weaving business for six years. From there went to Pittsburgh and worked as a laborer about a year and a half. Having a sister in that vicinity he thought of settling, but hearing much of the broad prairies of the West he concluded to come and see for himself. Being favorably impressed with the country, he settled on section 19, Le Claire Township, where he has resided since. The first winter was spent in a cabin with his brother-in-law; the following spring he built a log cabin upon his brother's place where he remained six years, and in the mean time made a claim where he now lives. There were but a few neighbors on the prairie, their cabin being the farthest west at the time. He married Mary Stewart Dec. 29, 1836. She was born in Ireland in 1816 and came to the United States in the same vessel with Mr. Moore. The fruit of this marriage was 10 children, five of whom are living, viz.: Samuel D., John P., Rebecca J., Elizabeth, Malinda S. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are members of the Old School Presbyterian church, and were members of the first organization in the township. Has been identified with the county from its infancy and has seen its various changes. He came to the county in limited circumstances, but by hard work and good management has accumulated a fine property and home; has 120 acres of land under a high state of cultivation, valued at $65 per acre; 20 acres of timber land, valued at $75 per acre. His sister Mary, who came to the United States in 1836, died some years later by the bite of a rattlesnake, about 1845.

DOPP

"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

John Dopp, son of John and Rebecca (Kylor) Dopp, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Pennsylvania, was born on a farm near Huntingdon, Pa., July 19, 1833. His father died when he was five years old and he went to live with his uncle, near Williamsburg, Pa. When he was 13 years old he resolved to go to work on his own responsibility. He worked in a brickyard one season and for different parties until 20 years of age, when he rented a farm for two years near Huntingdon, at the expiration of which time he rented another farm near the same locality. He was here married to Margaret Irwin, March 27, 1857; she was a native of Frankstown, Pa., born Dec. 5, 1834, and was a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Rhule) Irwin, the former a native of County Derry, Ireland, the latter of Blair Co., Pa. Of their family of 11 children eight are living, viz.: William, John, Mrs. Sarah McBean, Mrs. Isabell Snyder, Mrs. Mary Holten, Mrs. Martha Campbell, Emeline, James G., who enlisted in Co. M, Pa. Cav. Vols. He was out on picket duty while in Virginia and was surrounded by the rebels. Upon his refusing to surrender they fired upon him and wounded him in the leg, not until after he had killed one of their number however. He was then compelled to walk to Richmond prison, 30 miles, then to Libby prison, where he died from exposure in that horrible den two days after. In the spring of 1865 Mr. and Mrs. Dopp came to Iowa and went to Pleasant Valley Township, Scott Co., where he farmed with his brother Jacob on shares one year; then bought a farm in Lincoln Township; subsequently purchased 91 acres on section 34, same township, where he now resides. He is now the owner of 208 acres, valued at $70 an acre. Mr. and Mrs. Dopp have had seven children, viz.: Mary E., Jacob H., William I., John C., Minnie C., Frank B. and Effie E. Mr. Dopp has held the office of supervisor a number of terms. Is a member of the A. O. U. W., Lodge No. 182, at Summit. In politics he is a Democrat and a man well respected in his community. His Great-grandfather Beales was a soldier in that great war which gave to America her liberty, the Revolution. John Dopp is one of a family of six children, five living, viz.: Jacob B., Mrs. Rachel Smith, Mary, Mrs. Nancy Chilcot and John.

DUNLAP

History of Delaware County, Iowa...Captain John F. Merry, supervising ed. 2
vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1914

     Among the energetic and able farmers of Hazel Green township is numbered Ray H. Dunlap, who operates three hundred acres of fertile land situated on section 11. He is still a young man but has already demonstrated his capability and industry and his friends predict for him an unusual success in his chosen occupation.
     He was born in Hazel Green township on the 12th of November, 1888, a son of Thomas Bruce and Ermina (Phillips) Dunlap. The father was born in Londonderry, Ireland, October 10, 1840, and when a lad of eight years was brought to this country. He lived for several years in Ohio, but in 1854 made his way west to Iowa. In April 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-first Iowa Volunteers, and shortly afterward was mustered into the Union service. He participated in many important engagements, taking part in the battles of Hartville, Port Gibson, Champion's Hill, Black River Bridge, the siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely, assisting in the capture of Mobile. On the 15th day of July, 1865, he was honorably discharged and returned to the life of a civilian. On the 15th of October, 1867, he was united in marriage with Miss Rose Spear, by whom he had four children:  Ellsworth; Myra; Robert, deceased; and Elizabeth, who has also passed away. On the 24th of November, 1881, he was again married, Miss Ermina Phillips, a daughter of James Phillips, becoming his wife. Four children were born to this union, namely: Herman, a resident of Hazel Green township; Vivian; Jessie; and Ray H., of this review. The father was an extensive land owner, holding title to seven hundred and fifty-two acres of land at the time of his death, which occurred March 23, 1914. He was laid to rest in the Golden cemetery.
     Ray H. Dunlap first attended district school and later the high school at Hopkinton, from which he graduated. He continued his formal schooling in Lenox College of Hopkinton, being a student in that institution for three years. When it was necessary for him to choose a life work he decided to follow farming as he had found the work congenial, and he is now successfully operating three hundred acres of fine land on section 11, Hazel Green township. He believes in utilizing the results of scientific experimentation and is up-to-date and progressive in his methods and also employs the latest implements in the work of the farm. He is not only energetic and efficient in the cultivation of his crops, but also displays excellent judgment in the management of the business phase of agriculture, and as the result of the judicious direction of his affairs he is steadily adding to his capital. He supports the men and measures of the republican party and manifests a commendable interest in all public affairs. His entire life has been spent in Hazel Green township and those who have known him from childhood are his truest friends, as their long acquaintance with him has but served to make them more appreciative of his many excellent traits of character.

COLLINS

The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa...by Robert E. Flickinger. Fonda: G. Sanborn, 1904.

Collins, Michael (b. 1821; d. 1868), member of the first board of county supervisors in 1861, became the wealthiest and in some respects the most prominent of the Lizard pioneers. His axe was one of the first to ring in the woods along the Lizard and his stalwart form was among the first to startle the Indian in Pocahontas county. He was a generous, honorable man whom to know was to become his friend. He participated in the organization of Lizard township, and also of Pocahontas county. He served as the first clerk of Lizard township, took an intelligent and active part in the management of its affairs and made a good success of his own business. He served three years in 1862-64 as county treasurer and recorder and the next year as county treasurer. Walter Ford, his friend and neighbor more than forty years, said of him: "In those early days people in search of homes were directed to Collins' grove where they found Michael Collins always willing to assist them and welcome them under his roof. He took them over the prairies in his wagon and showed them the choicest homesteads. He was often called from his work several times a day, when Lizard Creek was high, to ferry travelers across it in his dugout which was hewn from a basswood tree. His services were always gratuitous."
When he left Pittsburg, Pa., for Iowa in 1855 he was accompanied by his younger brother, Hugh (single) and James Hickey. Soon afterward he was followed by his elder brother, Patrick and their cousin, Roger Collins. Michael lived on the farm until 1877. He then moved to Manson and in 1891 to Clare, where he died in 1898.
His family consisted of three sons, Patrick and James, who died young in Ireland, Bridget, who cared for him after his retirement from the farm and Michael T.

COLLINS

The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa...by Robert E. Flickinger. Fonda: G. Sanborn, 1904.

Collins, Michael Thomas, (b. Dunbeg, Ireland, 1844), at 12, in 1855, became a resident of Pocahontas county. In 1865, he married Fannie Haire, a teacher, and after two years' residence in Fort Dodge bought a farm of 200 acres on sec. 12, which he has improved with good buildings and still occupies. He has served as trustee and assessor in the township, and, as a county supervisor in 1887-92, was the last representative of lizard township on that board. His wife in January to May, 1865, taught the second term of school in the Calligan district in the log cabin of Dennis Connor. She was a refined, cultured christian woman whose life, as a wife and mother, was a gracious benediction in the home and family circle. She endured patiently the trials incident to pioneer life, the rearing of a large family, and in 1900, passed to her reward.
His family consisted of nine children one having died in infancy.
Michael Joseph (b. 1866), in 1894 married Annie Cain, and lives at Clare, where he is engaged in land, insurance and auctioneer business. He has one son, Harold David, and one daughter, Fannie.
William John (b. 1868), graduate of the law department of the Iowa State University in 1895, began the practice of law at Clare that year. Sept 20, 1897, he established the Clare Examiner and continued as its editor until 1900. He is now devoting himself to the practice of his profession and has a promising future before him.
Fannie, in 1900, married M.J. McMahon.
Thomas (b. 1869), Elizabeth M., David J., Maggie, Bridget C., and John Herbert are at home.
Maggie and Bridget have been attending the Convent schools at Fort Dodge and Clare; and seven of them- Michael J., William J., Elizabeth, Fannie, Maggie, Robert and John have met with good success as teachers.

THOMPSON

History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa. Springfield, Ill.: Union Pub. Co., 1884.

     Joseph Thompson was born April 13, 1831, in county Darry [sic], Ireland, and came with his parents in 1839 to America, settling in Mercer Co., Penn. Learning the cabinet and chair trade he worked at it until 1854, then went to Jackson Co., Iowa, and stopped there one year. He was married to Nancy J. Means, Dec. 23, 1855, came to Kossuth county, May 25, 1856. He was one of the first to build on the prairie, his residence being one and a half miles east of Algona. In 1864 Mr. Thompson went to Idaho with the great rush to the gold fields, remaining there for four years. Returning to Kossuth Co., Iowa, in 1868, he sold his land east of Algona for $40 per acre and bought 160 acres on section 24, township 96, range 29, where he still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have six children-Mamie A., who was married Aug. 29, 1877, to Joseph B. Hofius; Carrie N., who was married Jan. 1, 1884, to C.H. Blossom; Henry J., Frank S., Jennie B., and Clifford I. Mr. Thompson has the reputation of being one of the most respectable and enterprising farmers in the county.

KELLY

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Union Counties...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

William Kelly, farmer, section 12, Monroe Township, is a native of Londonderry, Ireland, where he was born August 1, 1837, son of Peter and Sarah Kelly. When he was ten years of age his parents emigrated to America, first locating in New York City, where he grew to manhood, and served his time as an apprentice in learning the trade of brick-layer and plasterer. In 1854 he removed to Bureau County, Illinois, where he resided about ten years, working at his trade, mining and farming. In 1880 he came to Ringgold County, and settled upon his present farm, in Monroe Township, which was then wild land. He has eighty acres of well-cultivated land, a good story-and-a-half residence, good buildings for stock, orchard, and native shade trees. He is engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1870 he was married to Miss Susan Negley, of Bureau County, Illinois, and they have six children-John, Sarah, Mary, William, Martha and Charley. Mr. Kelly is a member of the Masonic order, and politically is a Democrat. By fair and honest dealing he has gained the respect and confidence of all who know him, and is one of the best citizens of the township. Postoffice, Beaconsfield.

DEVLIN

History of Clayton County, Iowa. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co.: 1882.

     One of the best known among the citizens of Jefferson Township, and one not unknown throughout the county, is John Devlin, who was born in Londonderry, Ireland, Dec. 20, 1821.  His father was Patrick Devlin, by trade a shoemaker, but who generally worked a small farm under the tenant-laws of that country.  His mother's maiden name was Bridget Henry.  John
remained at home and worked on the farm until twenty years of age, when he left the paternal roof and went to Scotland and spent one year, when he emigrated to the United States, landing at Baltimore, July 9, 1842.  He was without means, and began at once looking about for something to do, and traveled ninety miles in the country on foot before he could obtain work.  For a short time he worked on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, then being constructed.  He then obtained employment for a time in Mt. Savage, and from there went to Pittsburgh, Penn., where he engaged to work on a steamboat.  He followed the river until 1852.  On the 3d day of July, 1844, he united in marriage with Margaret Monaghan, a native of Scotland, by whom he had seven children, four of whom are now livingóJohn,
Mary Ann (now Mrs. Henry), Louis Francis and William.  Henry James died at sixteen years of age; Charles C., at three years, and Frank, at nine months.  Leaving his family in St. Louis, where he had located some years previous, Mr. Devlin, in 1852, went to California, where he spent two years, and from thence to Oregon, where he spent one year.  Success attended his efforts for a time, but having the misfortune to be severely injured in the caving in of a mine in which he was at work, he was laid up for months and had to spend all his savings for medical assistance.  Returning to St. Louis in 1855 as poor as he went out,
he determined to locate in Jefferson Township, Clayton County, on a farm, which he entered in 1849.  Success has crowned his efforts here, and he now owns 440 acres of well-improved land, on section 33.  Mr. Devlin has been an active man in his township, and although surrounded by those of other nationalities, especially Germans, he enjoys he confidence of all.  For eight years he filled the office of Justice of the Peace, but it was his endeavor to effect
settlements of controversies, if possible, before bringing the case into court.  He is now Notary Public, and has a great deal of business to do in making out and certifying deeds and other duties pertaining to the office.  Mr. and Mrs. Devlin are both members of the Catholic church.  Politically Mr. Devlin is a Democrat.

MULLIN

Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties
Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1894

     JAMES MULLIN.    The career of this gentleman has been marked by enterprise, industry and well directed efforts that have been rewarded by the accumulation of a considerable amount of property and the machinery and took necessary for the management of a first class farm. Mr. Mullin is one of those Irish-American citizens of whom we have reason to be proud in account of the example they present of industry, morality and good citizenship.  He is at present living in Dubuque Township, Dubuque County, and is  the  proprietor of  over  two  hundred acres of land.
         Mr. Mullin was born in County Derry, Ireland, in 1818, and is the son of Henry and Ann (Diamand) Mullin, farmers by occupation, who lived and died in the Emerald Isle. The parental family included five children, who, with hardly an exception, were farmers. The grandfather of our subject, James Mullin, lived to the remarkable age of one hundred and twenty years.
         The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm in Ireland, and a year after attaining his majority emigrated to the United States on the sailing-vessel "Fannie" which landed him several weeks later in Philadelphia. He remained there but a short time, however, and then came to Dubuque County, where he has made his home ever since and is well and
favorably known. Mr. Mullin was recently attacked by a crazy man and received four bullets from his gun, none of which were of a very serious nature, however.
         James Mullin and Miss Mary A. Kingsley were united in marriage in 1876. The lady is a native of Plymouth, Mass., having been born February 28, 1855, to William and Bridget (Gilloon) Kingsley. Her father is still living on the old home farm, but her mother died many years ago. To Mr. and Mrs. Mullin were born nine children, bearing the respective names of Henry, William, Cornelius, Martha, James, Grace, John, Katie and Frank. The parents are members in good standing of the Catholic Church, in the progress of which they take a great interest. In political affairs Mr. Mullin is a straightforward Democrat, believing that the principles laid down in the platform of that party are best adapted to the needs of the nation.
         Mr. Mullin's estate comprises two hundred acres, embellished with all needful buildings and the machinery necessary for the successful prosecution of farm pursuits. He has been a hard worker, but is now practically retired from active duties and is enjoying his declining years amid the comforts which he provided for in his earlier life.

--Contributed by Becky Teubner

DUNLAP

The History of Delaware County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Co., 1878

     DUNLAP, J.B., Farmer; Sec. 3; P.O. Hazel Green; owns 940 acres, valued at $20,000; born at Derry Co., Ireland, April 18, 1833; came to this county in 1854 and entered a quantity of land on which he moved in 1856; married Miss C.M. Comstock May 26, 1860. She was born in Washington Co, N.Y., Aug. 9, 1833; have eight children living and two deceased- John A.,born March 12, 1861; Almira J., Aug. 9, 1862, died Feb. 20, 1863; Thomas J., Feb. 9, 1864, died April 18, 1864; Robert E., March 9, 1865; Ida, Jan. 24, 1867; Geo. C., Dec. 26, 1868; James, June 4, 1871; Wm. J., July 18, 1873; Clara M., Sept. 12, 1875; and David L, Dec. 7, 1877. Mr. D. is one of the early settlers of this township; has surmounted the trials and difficulties incident to a pioneer life and now owns one of the finest and best equipped farms in this part of the county; is a Republican and Reformed Presbyterian.

 

CRAWFORD

History of Iowa County, Iowa...by James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 1. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

    John H. Crawford, the owner of Oak View Farm on section 35, Green township, is a native of Iowa county, his birthplace being a log cabin on the farm which he now owns. He was born July 11, 1864, a son of John and Sarah (McCreary) Crawford, who were both born in Ireland, the former in County Derry and the latter in County Antrim. Both emigrated to America in their youth, the father settling in New York and the mother in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Subsequently they met and their marriage was solemnized in 1861. The father came to this county in 1854, traveling down the Ohio river from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on a flatboat and continuing his journey by water to St. Louis. From that city he came overland to Iowa county, Iowa. In payment of a small debt he was deeded eighty acres of land in this county which was practically unimproved. There was, however, a one room log cabin on the place and there the two older children were born. The father prospered in his work as a farmer and became in time the owner of sic hundred acres of excellent land. He passed away in 1893 and his wife died in 1911, both being buried in the Daytonville cemetery. To their union were born four children: John H., of this review; William J., who is a dealer in live stock; Tillie J., who became the wife of Rev. H.C. Millice, and Emma, who died in infancy.
     John H. Crawford acquired his early education in the public schools of this county and also pursued an academic course. Through assisting his father with the work of the farm he became familiar with practical methods of agriculture and has continued to devote his time to the cultivation of the soil and care of crops. His place, on section 35, Greene township, known as Oak View Farm, is one of the excellently improved properties of the township. He is energetic and alert and is meeting with gratifying success in his agricultural pursuits.
     Mr. Crawford is a republican and in 1896 served as committeeman from Greene township. The Methodist church finds in him a loyal and faithful member and those who know him most intimately realize most thoroughly his close adherence to high standards of conduct.