THE IRISH IN IOWA

Church Histories

 

 The Irish Catholic Church of Cedar Township, Johnson Co, Iowa

History of Johnson County, Iowa...from 1836 to 1882; Iowa City, Iowa: 1883


The Catholic Church (Irish) of Cedar township, was organized in 1863. The
original members were Mathias Canfield, Thomas Noland, Patrick Larkin, James
Brennen, John Peters, Michael Donahue, Michael Beecher, Patrick Beecher,
James Beecher, D.Mahony, Thomas Ryan, Michael Harty, Thomas Butler, Thomas
Wall, James Cahen and others. Their first frame church building was erected
in 1863, and was dedicated by Father Emonds of Iowa City; the present
building was erected in 1868, at a cost of $1800, without seating; this is
also a frame and was dedicated by Father McCabe of Wilton. Its pastors have
been Father Emonds, Father Quigley, Father Welch, Father McCabe, Father
Downey, Father Sullivan, Father McCabe of Mechanicsville, Father O'Riley and
Father Burke, the present priest. There are forty acres belonging to the
church which was bought by the original members. They have a burying ground
of about two acres.


Return to Iowa Irish


Comments, Suggestions, Contributions, Criticism or Praise?

2001 Cathy Joynt Labath