"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Samuel More, farmer and owner of the More coal shaft, was born in the North of Ireland, 40 miles from Belfast, County Armaugh, Ireland, in 1827, where he attended school until 10 years of age when he hired to a farmer seven years; then went to Erdie, 10 miles from Glasgow, Scotland, and worked in the iron and copper mines until his marriage here to Miss Ann E. Finniagan in 1844, and in 1848 they came to the United States, and settled in Pennsylvania, where he worked in the iron, lead and copper mines in Lancashire County, Berks County and Bayerstown, Pa., some four or five years when he came to Iowa and settled in Scott County; mined here in Buffalo Township in Capt. Murry's mine six months, and for Capt. W.L. Clark and Capt. Le Roy Dodge two and a half years; then for Mr. Posten one year when he bought 20 acres of ground in section 9, Buffalo Township, where he sank a shaft and opened "the More Coal Bank," which he still owns, and where he now owns a farm of 60 acres, most all under good cultivation. He and wife had a family of nine children, eight living, viz.: William, who married Mary A. Armstrong, they reside in Osage County, Kan.; Mary, married Hugh Brown, they reside in Hampton, Ill., as does Anna; who married David Peacock; Lilly, who married Levi Clark; James, who married Luda Simmons; and Emma, who married Elwood Clark; Samuel and Frank reside on the farm with their father. Mrs. More died in 1867. She was a member of the Episcopal church. Mr. More afterward married Angeline Simmons in 1870. She was born in Indiana. The fruit of this marriage is two children, viz.: Adie W. and Chas. More. He and wife are members of the Christian church. The parents of Samuel More were William More and Elizabeth, nee Grozett; they were natives of Ireland, but of Scotch descent. He and wife were members of the Old School Presbyterian church and had a family of five children, three living. The subject of this sketch, Samuel More, is one of the representative men of Scott County, and one of the first coal men in Iowa. In polities he is a strong Prohibitionist and has held various local offices of trust in his township.


"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Mrs. John Hughes, a daughter of James and Eliza (Reed) Parks, was born in County Armagh, Ireland. Her maiden name was Eliza Parks; she was married in March, 1844, to David McMurray. They had two children - James, born in New York State, is now married and resides on a farm near Marengo, Ia., and Jane, born in Ireland, married John Kehoe, and lives on a farm in Winfield Township. In 1847 Mr. and Mrs. McMurray and family came to the United States and went to Mercer Co., Pa., where they remained three years; then came to Illinois and settled on a farm in Rock Island Co., where Mr. McMurray was accidentally killed, Dec. 30, 1853, by being thrown against the side of a wagon. Mrs. McMurray remained in Illinois two years, then came to Lincoln Township and located on a farm of 83 acres which her husband had entered some two years before. In March, 1857, Mrs. McMurray married John Hughes, a native of County Monaghue, Ireland, and a son of Patrick and Rosa Hughes. John came to this country when a young man and worked in New York some three years, then came to Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes have two children - John F., who is studying law with W. A. Foster in Davenport, and Thomas B. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes have their farm of 83 acres in Lincoln Township, all under good cultivation, and valued at $75 an acre.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913.

Hugh McCabe has been a resident of Allamakee county since 1848 and has, therefore, witnessed its entire growth and development, for few settlements had been made within its borders at the time of his arrival and al the evidences of frontier life were to be seen, while the hardships and trials incident to pioneer existence were to be met. Mr. McCabe was at that time only a child, but even then he bore his share in the general burden and through many active, honorable and worthy years since that time has worked his way upward to success. His record may well serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement, showing what may be accomplished by energy and determination, intelligently directed, for it has been by his own efforts that he has gained the prominent position which he now occupies as a substantial agriculturist of this county.
Hugh McCabe was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in March, 1839, and when he was still a child crossed the Atlantic with his uncle, who was first mate on the ship Abbie Blanchard, sailing between Liverpool and New York. Mr. McCabe spent a few years in the latter city and then came west to Iowa, settling in Allamakee county in 1848. He remained, however, only a few months, later taking a steamer down the Mississippi to St. Louis, where for three months he worked in the employ of Pat McCann. Returning to Allamakee county, he worked upon a farm for three years, earning one hundred dollars per year. He also drove stage for some time but abandoned both occupations at the outbreak of the Civil war, when he enlisted in the Union army, joining Company B, Twelfth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Earle. The regiment was sent to St. Louis, where it drilled for a time, and then was transferred to the seat of war, participating in the battles of Fort Henry, Fort Donelson and Shiloh. In the latter engagement Mr. McCabe was taken prisoner and held for six months and eleven days, first in Macon, Georgia, and afterward in the famous Libby prison, from which he was paroled and sent to Benton Barracks at St. Louis. Having secured a thirty day furlough, he returned to Waukon and spent time recuperating and visiting old friends, later returning to Benton Barracks, where his company was reorganized and sent south to Vicksburg. Mr. McCabe there worked on a canal and with his comrades fought his way to Jackson, Mississippi, where he took part in the battle of that city and also in the engagement at Black River Bridge. Under General Sherman his regiment participated in the Vicksburg campaign and siege and was present at the fall of the city. It was later sent down the river to New Orleans and Mobile and thence to Spanish Fort. In 1864 Mr. McCabe took part in the battle of Tupelo, Mississippi, and was there wounded by a piece of shell but not disabled. He served until the close of the war and was mustered out at Memphis, Tennessee, afterward returning north, where he received his honorable discharge at Davenport, Iowa, in January, 1866. In that year he returned to Waukon and, on April 2, married Miss Lydia Alice Gates, a native of Ohio, born in Butler county, near Cincinnati. She is a daughter of Samuel and Mary Ann (Montgomery) Gates, who moved from Ohio to Indiana, where they resided in St. Joseph county. They afterward moved to South Bend and then to Iowa, driving through with two ox teams and settling in Allamakee county in 1857.
Mr and Mrs McCabe began their domestic life on a forty acre tract of wild land, which Mr. McCabe proceeded to break, fence and improve. He built upon it a cabin, in which they made their home until he traded the farm for a one hundred and twenty acre tract, slightly improved. He fenced this property, added to it more land and now owns two hundred acres, constituting one of the finest farms in this section of the state. At one time he held title to over three hundred acres. Throughout the years he has steadily carried forward the work of development, building a fine residence, a good barn and substantial outbuildings and installing all the machinery and equipment necessary to the conduct of a model agricultural enterprise. His success is the more creditable to him because it has been attained entirely through his own labors, for he came to America a poor boy, penniless and without friends, and he has made each year of his activity since that time a period in his advancement until today he is one of the most substantial and representative citizens of the county, which he has aided in upbuilding.
Mr .and Mrs. McCabe became the parents of six children, four of whom are still living. Mary Ellen grew to maturity and married Ed Howe. She passed away leaving three sons. Lizzie lives at home. Alice, who is deceased, was the wife of Cornelius Sullivan. John Emmett is married and makes his home upon his farm. Katherine lives at home. Thomas Henry also resides upon the home farm. The family are members of the Roman Catholic church.
Few men in Allamakee county are more widely known than Mr. McCabe, who is numbered among the original settlers in this section of the state. In his youth he helped to build the first log cabin in Waukon for Scott Shattuck, who gave forty acres for the town site. For sixty-five years he has lived in the county and is one of the few who have so long witnessed its growth and development. Throughout a great portion of this period he has made his home on the farm which is yet his place of residence, but he has not confined his attention and efforts to it alone, although he has made it a valuable property. From time to time he has given hearty cooperation to many movements for the public good and has been one of the great forces which have transformed the county from a wilderness and reclaimed the region for purposes of civilization.


History of Dubuque County, Iowa; Weston A. Goodspeed, ed. by F. T. Oldt and P. J. Quigley; Chicago: Goodspeed Hist. Assoc. 1911

Isaac L. McGee was born in Iowa township, Dubuque county, Iowa, August 19, 1855, and is a son of James and Martha A. (Anderson) McGee, who were natives of County Armagh, Ireland, and Barren county, Kentucky, respectively. James McGee came to America the spring of 1831, and until 1834 resided in Philadelphia. He then moved to Clinton county, Illinois, and engaged in farming, but three years later went to Iowa county, Wisconsin, bought a tract of land near Mineral Point and for two years followed the prevailing occupation of mining. In 1836 he came to Dubuque county, Iowa, and in 1839 entered government land on section 15, Iowa township. A few years later he obtained government land on section 31, upon which he made his home until his death in 1893, when eighty-four years old. He was a man of unusual force of character and was elected to almost every office in the gift of his township. August 10, 1844, he married the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Haggard) Anderson, natives of Virginia, who settled in Barren county, Kentucky, when the name of Daniel Boone was at its zenith. Isaac L. McGee was the fifth in a family of eight children. He and his sister are the only members of this family residing in Iowa; a brother, G.H. McGee, resides in Nebraska; another, D.W. McGee, resides in Louisiana, and another, W.J. McGee is in the employ of the government at Washington, D.C.; three brothers died while young. His education was obtained in the public schools and his home was with his parents until he attained manhood. In 1885 he married Minnie E. Van Ostrand, whose parents were George E. and Georgianna (Stewart) Van Ostrand, natives of the state of New York. Mrs. McGee was born February 1, 1865, and moved with her parents to Nebraska when the tide of emigration was toward that new country. She died October 21, 1892, and was buried in Bethel cemetery in Iowa township (see elsewhere for cemetery record). Three children were born to this marriage, viz.: George L., Milo J., and Cora Belle. George L. is at present employed on a farm in Dodge township; Milo J. is in Wayne, Nebraska, and Cora Belle is teaching near Wayne, Nebraska. In 1894 Mr. McGee married Mrs. Ada Glew, widow of John Glew, of Dubuque county, and daughter of Francis M. and Sarah H. (Kephart) Allen, who were old settlers in Iowa and are now living in Farley. The present Mrs. McGee was born February 5, 1861, and by her first husband had one daughter, Addie, who married Bert Snodgrass and lives in Buchanan county. Four children have been born to the second marriage of Mr. and Mrs. McGee: Nancy W.; Sarah Gladys, who died when five years old; Henry F., died at the age of eighteen months, and Mary J. After his marriage Mr. McGee began farming for himself, raising stock and giving special attention to dairying. In 1908 he moved to Farley where he now lives practically retired from the active work of farming. He belongs to the Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America, is a Republican, has served as township supervisor for several terms and as a member of the school board many years. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Farley.


Past and Present in Allamakee County, by Ellery M. Hancock. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1913. p. 277-278

Esteem and veneration is due to Robert Boyce not only for what he has achieved along agricultural lines and for the financial successes which have come to him but also for the service which he rendered his country at the time of the Civil war, for he is one of that fast disappearing band of volunteers who willingly offered his life in order to preserve the unity of a nation. A native of Pennsylvania, Robert Boyce was born in McKean county, August 23, 1841, a son of Samuel and Betsy Ann (Hall) Boyce. Both parents were natives of County Armagh, Ireland. The father always followed agricultural pursuits and in his early manhood became a resident of Pennsylvania where he resided about one year before coming to Iowa. Here he located at Garnavillo, Clayton county, where he remained only about a year when he died. The mother subsequently married again, her second husband being Charles Lord, and they soon thereafter came to Allamakee county and settled near the mission house in Linton township. Later they came to Franklin township and there Mr. and Mrs. Lord resided on the farm which is now part of our subject's holdings. Both spent their latter lives retired in Monona, where they passed away.
Robert Boyce is fifth in order of birth of the six living children born to his mother's first marriage. On the second marriage there were born three children, all of whom have passed away. Robert Boyce attended school in Clayton county, receiving his lessons in the district school of Reed township, and later continued his lessons in the district school of Franklin township. When eighteen years of age he bought forty acres of his present farm from his father and engaged independently in agricultural pursuits until on February 18, 1862, he enlisted with Company H, First Battalion, Sixteenth United States Regular Regiment, as a private. He valiantly served his country for three years, enduring the hardships of the campaign and the dangers of battle and camp until he was mustered out at Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. He was never wounded but contracted sickness, spending some time in a hospital at Keokuk, Iowa. After being discharged from the service he returned to the farm and has continued here ever since, having increased his holdings as prosperity has come to him and now owning one hundred and eighty acres. His fields are under high cultivation and his buildings are kept in good repair. The most modern machinery has been installed upon the place and his methods have resulted in a gratifying degree of prosperity to him. Mr. Boyce also owns valuable property in Monona. He is a stockholder in the Citizens Bank of that place and has other interests.
On September 11, 1866, occurred the marriage of Mr. Boyce to Miss Mary Jane Tapper, who was the first white child born at Fort Atkinson, Iowa, her day of birth being January 16, 1841. She is a daughter of James and Ellen (Irwin) Tapper, the father a native of England and the mother of Ireland. The father was one of the pioneers in this section and for many years was in the employ of the United States government as  Fort Atkinson as a carpenter. He was prominent and highly esteemed in his locality, holding several township offices, serving as trustee, justice of the peace and supervisor.
Although Mr.  Boyce has never aspired to public office, he has been prevailed upon to serve as trustee of Franklin township and in that capacity discharged his duties with conspicuous ability. His political faith is that of the republican party and he ever upholds its candidates and principles. He keeps in tough with his comrades of the battlefields of the south as a member of the Grand Army Post, No. 445, at Monona. The spirit of patriotism which led him to follow the flag at the time of the great civil conflict has never left him and he is today, in times of peace, as much a force for good as he was when he upheld the Union cause in the south. He is ever interested in worthy public enterprises and ever ready to give of his means and influence in the support of the same. Such prosperity as has come to him is but the natural result of well applied labor and there is none who begrudges him but the natural result of well applied labor and there is none who begrudges him his present affluence. On the contrary, he is highly respected for what he has achieved and is venerated and beloved for his sterling traits of character.


History of Crawford County, F. W. Meyers. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J.
Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.

C.P. Harvey

     In tracing the genealogy of the Harvey family we find there was a Colonel Daniel Harvey, an officer in the English army who settled in Ireland and who, as far as can be learned, is the head of the present generation. Michael Harvey, the father of C.P. was born in County Armagh, Ireland, March 27th, 1817, whence he emigrated to the United States about 1837, locating in New York city, where he married Miss Ellen McGill, who was also born in Ireland in 1819. He resided in New York about five years then removed to Lee county, Illinois, where he followed stock-raising and farming. He was a very early settler and some of the papers giving him possession of his land were signed by President Fillmore, per his secretary. In politics he was a democrat nearly all his life. He died in 1867, being survived by his wife, who departed this life in 1903, and both were interred in Sandy Hill cemetery ,Lee county. They were the parents of the following eight children: Thomas A., who is a lawyer residing in Lead City, South Dakota, and who for years was a criminal attorney for Meade county; James, who is a farmer and stockman in Lee county, Illinois; C.P.; Mack, who is living on the old homestead in Lee county; John, who is mayor of Amboy, Illinois; and three others, Mary, Charles and an infant, all deceased.
     C.P. Harvey was born in Lee county, Illinois, May 2, 1852, and obtained his early education in the public schools. He remained at home until twenty years old and then went to Chicago, where he remained for two and a half years in the employ of Shuler & Company. Returning to Lee county he engaged in farming for one year, and later removed to Clinton, Iowa, followed the same occupation for four years, going from there to West Side, Crawford county in 1878. Here he remained for about fourteen years, one of which he spent in conducting a meat market in the village, another in acting as superintendent of the poor farm, the remaining twelve years being occupied in farming for himself. Subsequently he moved to East Boyer and continued the pursuit of agriculture there for four or five years, later going to Paradise township. After three or four years' farming here he located in Denison township, buying two hundred and forty acres of land which now comprises his homestead. Under Mr. Harvey's able management it has become a highly improved and valuable piece of property and most creditably reflects his ability to apply modern methods in obtaining the best results from the soil. In connection with general farming he is interested in the raising of fine stock.
     Mr. Harvey was united in marriage in 1876 to Miss Hannah Polhamus, a native of Iowa; who is of Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry and they had three children, namely: Earl, who was accidentally killed; Thomas Albert, who lives opposite the home place and who in 1894 married Miss Lissie Latshaw, born in Shelby county, Iowa; and they have three children, Grace Gladys, Glen Eldon and Merlin Paul; James, who occupies the adjoining farm and who married Miss Florence Warmath, born in Denison, and they have two children, twins, Frank and George.
     In regard to politics Mr. Harvey has always been a democrat and takes an active interest in the affairs of his party. He served on the board of supervisors from 1883 to 1886 and has been a member of the school board for the past twenty-six years. In his fraternal connections he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias. He has brought to his life work a well trained mind, which has made it possible for him to carry to a successful conclusion the ambitions of his early youth, and among his many friends he is recognized as a man of sterling worth and of the strictest integrity, a reputation he has never failed to uphold.


Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Union Counties...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

John Miller, farmer and dealer in thorough-bred horses, section 2, Monroe Township, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, June 28, 1831, son of David and Elizabeth Miller. He resided in his native country until he was twenty years of age then came to America. He first located at Pittsburg, where he served an apprenticeship at blacksmithing for about three years. He then removed to Fulton County, Illinois, where he followed his trade two years, then removed to Mason County, where he engaged in farming and blacksmithing until 1873, when he came to Ringgold County and settled upon his present farm in Monroe Township. He purchased 280 acres of land, forty of which were broken. He has added to and improved it until he has 380 acres of one of the best-improved farms in the township. He has a good residence, an orchard of300 bearing trees, a vineyard and small fruits. Mr. Miller is making a specialty of breeding and dealing in valuable draft horses. In his stables are to be seen several of these horses of Norman Clydesdale and Cleveland Bays. He has spent much time and money in obtaining his stock, and it will compare favorably with any in Southern Iowa. His farm adjoins Beaconsfield. He was married March 13, 1858, at Yates City, Illinois, to Ardelia Ames, and they have six children-Loring D., J.E., John R., Charles W., Almira and Mattie. Mr. Miller is a member of the Odd Fellows order, and is a member of the United Brethren in Christ church, and a trustee of the same. Politically he is a Republican. Postoffice, Beaconsfield.


The History of Linn County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

     McAllister, Jno., farmer, Sec. 6; P.O. Palo; owns 212 acres; probable value, $6,360. He was born Nov. 13, 1842, in the county of Armagh, Ireland, and with his parents (John and Margaret McAllister) emigrated to the United States, arriving in New York City June 6, 1852, and went immediately to Coshocton Co, Ohio, where he attended school and helped his father on the farm until he was 17 years old. He taught school there several terms, and during the war of the rebellion enlisted March 18, 1862, in the 69th O.V.I,. for three years or during the war; he was engaged with his regiment in the battles of Gallatin, Murfreesboro, Tullahoma, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Resaca, Ga., Averysboro, N.C. and Bentonville, N.Y. He was wounded at Murfreesboro and taken prisoner by the rebels, and was sent to Libby Prison; was eventually paroled and sent to Annapolis, Md., and thence to Camp Chase, Ohio. In 1863, he rejoined his regiment at Murfreesboro, Tenn. and was afterward wounded at Resaca, Ga., having been shot through the neck while his regiment was making a charge; this occurred May 14, 1864; he took part in all the engagements that his regiment shared in; marched with Gen. Sherman to the sea and participated in the grand review held in Washington, D.C. in May, 1865; he was honorably discharged July 17, 1865, at Louisville, Ky. Returned to his home in Ohio and engaged in school teaching; in 1866, he came to Linn Co. and bought the farm he now lives on; with the exception of six terms he engaged in teaching school in Linn and Benton Cos.; he has given all his time to farming since he came to Clinton Tp. He was married Jan. 15, 1871, to Orissa E., daughter of Bradley and Minerva Hutchins, of Linn Co, Iowa; Mrs. McAllister was born Nov. 15, 1846; they have three children-John B., born Dec. 25, 1871; Minerva, May 9, 1874; and Perley, Oct. 18, 1876. Mr. McAllister is a Republican and was Township Assessor one term, Township Clerk two terms, and Township Constable one term. Mr. and Mrs. McA. are members of the Evangelical Association.

Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon Counties, Iowa. Chicago: W. S. Dunbar, 1889.


     William B. McGorrisk, grain dealer, Harlan, is a native of Illinois, born in LaSalle County, October 31, 1857. He is a son of E.J. and Mary McGorrisk. E.J. was born in Ireland, County of Armagh. He came to America when about sixteen years of age and settled in Montreal, Canada, where he studied medicine and afterward practiced his profession for a time. He went to Galena, Illinois where he practiced awhile, and then settled in seneca, Illinois. Here he married Mary, daughter of Jeremiah Grotty, a pioneer of LaSalle County, who built the canal from Joliet to Peru, Illinois, and also laid out the town of Seneca. He was a native of Cork, Ireland, and after coming to this country settled in Maryland until he removed to Illinois. Mr. McGorrisk's parents moved to Iowa in 1858, and settled in Des Moines, where the father practiced his profession. William B. passed his youth in this city, attending the public schools, until the death of his mother in 1870. He then went to Seneca, Illinois, and remained there for four years. He then went to Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana, and graduated from this institution in 1882. He had no settled occupation until 1883, when he engaged in the grain business, which he followed successfully for two years in Harlan. At the end of this time he sold out, and was away from Harlan until January, 1889, when he returned and purchased the elevator known as No. 1. Mr. McGorrisk was married September 19, 1887, to Miss Harriet M. Hunt, a daughter of Daniel and Harriet M. Hunt of Avoca, and a native of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. McGorrisk are the parents of one child-Anna Hunt McGorrisk. Mr. McGorrisk is a member of the Roman Catholic church. In his political thought and action he is independent.


Portraits and Biographical Album of Jefferson and Van Buren Counties. Chicago: Lake City Pub. Co., 1890.

     Christopher Kerr, deceased, an honored pioneer and farmer of Van Buren County, whose family is still living on section 16, Union Township, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, on the 3d of March, 1817. He learned the trade of a weaver in his native land and acquired his education in its public schools. When a young man of twenty-three years, with a hope of bettering his financial condition in the New World, he bade good-by to home, friends and the Emerald Isle, and alone started for America. On the voyage he had an attack of small pox, but had about recovered his health on reaching this country. He made his first location in Pennsylvania, where he remained until he got money enough to travel, when he went to Canada. A short time afterward, however, we find him in Ohio, where the succeeding three years of his life were passed. It was in 1844 that he came to the Territory of Iowa with the intention of making his future home on its broad prairies and settled in Van Buren County. This was an important day for both the county and himself, as he prospered here, while the community gained a valued citizen. After entering forty acres of land, he embarked in merchandising in Winchester, which he continued for some six years, or until 1850, when, attracted by the gold discoveries in California, he crossed the plains with an ox-team. At the end of a year he returned with $1,600 in his pocket, which furnished a fair start. Removing to his farm, he purchased an additional eighty acres, and then began the development of his land, which in course of time yielded abundant harvests as the reward for the labors expended thereon.
     On the 23d of December, 1852, Mr. Kerr was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Moxley, who died in December, 1859, leaving four children, but only one of the number is now living - Melissa, wife of Charlie Sherrod, of Farmington. On the 7th of March, 1861, Mr. Kerr was a second time married, the lady of his choice being Miss Mary Addy, who still survives him. She was born in County Cavan, Ireland, January 12, 1835, and is a daughter of James and Margaret (Foster) Addy. Eight children were born to them, six of whom are living - James V., born January 4, 1862, is at home; Maggie L., born December 28, 1863, is deceased; Jessie G., born October 20, 1865, is the wife of William Prather of Dakota; Leila Reins Ramsdel, born June 1, 1867, is deceased; George W., born August 20, 1869; Hulda Emma, July 9, 1872; Aaron Stanley, March 12, 1875; and Amelia E., May 27, 1877, are at home. The children were provided with good educational advantages, and Leila and George were students at the Normal School at Shenandoah.
     Mr. Kerr died at his home in Union Township, July 19, 1886, respected by all who knew him. At the time of his death he owned four hundred and sixty acres of land in Van Buren County and three hundred and twenty acres in Missouri, which left his family in comfortable circumstances. With a capital of $50 he began life in this county, but good management, industry, and pluck overcame the disadvantages which lay in his path, and he at length became a well-to-do citizen. In proportion as he was prosperous, his generosity increased. He was charitable and benevolent, ever ready to extend a helping hand to those less fortunate than himself, and the poor and needy found a true friend. He also gave liberally for the support of those enterprises calculated to benefit the community or upbuild town and county. In his early life he was a supporter of the Democratic principles, but when the question of slavery became an issue he joined the new Republican party formed to prevent its further extension, and became an influential member of local politics.
     Mrs. Kerr still survives her husband and is living on the old home farm in Union Township, where she has erected one of the finest residences in the county. Her management of the business interests reflects credit upon herself. She is a faithful member of the Methodist Church, of Winchester, and the family is well and favorably known throughout the neighborhood.


History of Iowa County, James G. Dinwiddie. Volume 2. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915

     Starting out in life on his own account when a youth of seventeen years and shouldering the heavy responsibilities of business, proving his worth as the years went on, Thomas P. McGivern gave evidence of his sound judgment and manifestation of his indefatigable energy and is  today one of the largest landowners of Iowa county, his record proving what may be accomplished when there is the will to dare and to do and also standing as proof of the fact that success and an honored name may be won simultaneously. He has important interests not only in land but as a stockman and banker and makes his home at Marengo.
     A native of Jackson county, Iowa, Mr. McGivern was born near Preston, June 21, 1867, and is a son of Peter and Margaret (Larkin) McGivern. The father was born in County Armagh, Ireland, where he was reared upon a farm. After attaining his majority he wedded Margaret Larkin, also a native of that locality, and one child was born unto them ere their emigration to the United States in 1848. They crossed the Atlantic on a sailing vessel and after reaching the American coast made their way to Chicago, which was then a tiny hamlet situated on land that was largely low and swampy. The condition there was such that they felt it unwise to settle at that point and pushed on to Elgin, where the father purchased a small farm. In 1851 he removed to Jackson county, Iowa, and bought land there and in 1868 he came to Iowa county, purchasing land in Marengo township three and one-half miles south of the town of Marengo. This was raw prairie which he at once began to develop and improve with characteristic energy and determination. Upon that place he remained until his death, which occurred September 14, 1881, when he was fifty-five years of age. He had met with a fair measure of success in his undertakings, becoming the owner of two hundred and forty acres of good land, well improved. He had also reared a large family and had given them a good start in life. His widow survived him for some time, passing away when about seventy-five years of age. They were communicants of the Catholic church. In their family were nine children: Francis, now a prosperous banker of Fremont, Nebraska; Michael, a retired farmer of Marengo; F.H., who has also put aside the cares of farm life and makes his home in Davenport; Alice, who became the wife of James Colman and died at the age of twenty-three years, leaving two children; Mary, the wife of Ed McDonald, who is living retired at Cedar Rapids; Peter, who is engaged in the automobile business in Davenport; James J., a Christian Brother, in the Philippine Islands; and Thomas P.
     The last named was but nine months old when the family arrived in Iowa county. He was educated in the district schools and spent his youth upon the home farm. He was but fourteen years of age when his father died and when he was seventeen his mother gave him his time, after which he and his brother Peter rented the home farm and began feeding and dealing in live stock, in which they met with excellent success. Although only a boy in years Thomas P. McGivern proved himself an excellent judge of stock and a natural trader and dealer and the brothers were very successful. The partnership between them continued for four years, at the end of which time Thomas P. McGivern purchased the interests of his brother in their live stock. He has continued to engage in the live-stock business and operated his farms until the 1st of March, 1912, when he rented his feeding farms, only retaining about three hundred acres for pasture. He became a dealer in South Dakota land and realized between twenty-five and thirty thousand dollars on his investments there. From time to time he purchased Iowa property and he is now one of the largest landowners of Iowa county. He has bought and sold considerable property in this state and his holdings altogether embrace fourteen hundred and thirty-five acres, of which a thousand acres is in one body two miles northeast of Marengo. His realty possessions are the visible evidence of his life of well directed energy, thrift and enterprise. His only inheritance amounted to about twenty-five hundred dollars from his father's estate. Aside from all this that he possesses has been acquired through his own efforts and labor and in all of his business dealings he displays keen sagacity and sound judgment. Aside from his business activities in real estate and his farming and stock raising interests he became one of the organizers and first directors of the Peoples Savings Bank of Marengo and later was elected vice president, which position he still fills. He is likewise the president of the Marengo Gas Company and it is characteristic of him that whatever he undertakes he carries forward to successful completion.
     In 1891 Mr. McGivern was united in marriage to Miss Mamie E. Flanagan, a native of Iowa county and a daughter of Fergus L. and Amy (Magahy) Flanagan. The children of this marriage are eight in number: Amy Marie, who was educated in St. Joseph's College of Dubuque, Iowa; Ethel, who was graduated from the Cedar Rapids Business College and is now stenographer to the secretary of Iowa College at Ames; and Florence, Helen, Thomas, Fergus, Carroll, and Mark, all at home.
     Mr. and Mrs. McGivern are communicants of the Catholic church and in that faith have reared their family. In his political views Mr. McGivern is a democrat but has never cared for public office. On the contrary, he has preferred to concentrate his attention and energies upon his business affairs and through the careful handling of his interests he has won the substantial success which is now his and which places him among the prominent residents of his county. He owns and occupies an attractive home in Marengo and therefrom superintends his investments and live-stock interests.


A Memorial and Biographical record of Iowa. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1896

     Joseph Lyle Ledlie, a prominent citizen of Earlham, Madison county, Iowa, and one of the large property owners of this part of the State, is a native of the Emerald Isle and is a self-made man. As such, his life history is both interesting and instructive, and we take pleasure in presenting the following biography of him to the readers of this work.
     Joseph L. Ledlie was born in county Armagh, Ireland, in March, 1848. William Ledlie, his father, was a native of the same place and passed his life and died there. By occupation he was a farmer and miller. Fraternally he was a prominent member of the Masonic order in Ireland. He was twice married, first to Annabel Lyle, also a native of county Armagh, and after her death to Jane Graham. The children of the first wife were five in number, Joseph L being the youngest, and by his second wife he had thirteen children, there having been in this number triplets and two pairs of twins- seven children at three births. The subject of our sketch, his sister Elizabeth Copeland, and his brother Thomas are the only representatives of this large family in America.
     It was in 1870 that Joseph L. Ledlie landed in this country. For a number of years previous to this time he was a clerk in a grocery store, beginning this business when quite young, and being for nine years employed by the same man. On landing in America he came direct to Madison county, Iowa, where he secured employment as a farm hand, receiving $20 a month. In 1872 and during the following two years he clerked in a grocery store in Des Moines, the next two and a half years he worked on the  farm of Richard Roe in Dallas county, and after that he came to Earlham. His first occupation here was as clerk for J.R. Thomson, with whom he remained two years and a half. Then he commenced buying grain for W.J. Leak. He was in the employ of this man two years and a half and one year bought grain for Mr. Gilchrist, and after this experience in the business engaged in it on his own account, buying and shipping under his own name for three years. He has also been engaged in a loan and real-estate business, and to-day is the owner of a large amount of property. He has six houses, which he rents, in Earlham; has thirty acres of land within the city limits, thirty-three acres located a mile and a quarter west of Earlham, 100 acres two miles north of Earlham, and 120 acres in Dallas county. Besides this, he owns property in the city of Des Moines, which he rents. His home in Earlham is one of the attractive places of the town. He paid $1,700 for his property and has placed improvements upon it to the value of $800.
     Mr. Ledlie was married in April, 1881, to Nannie King, a native of Ohio, and they have had four children, one of whom died in infancy; the others being William L., Chester K., and Lora E, who died at the age of one year.
     In his political views Mr. Ledlie harmonizes with the Republican party and he has always taken a deep interest in the affairs of his community. For seven years he served on the Earlham Town Council. Religiously he is a Presbyterian. He is a Trustee of the church and one of its most liberal supporters. A man of many sterling qualities, generous and public-spirited, he has the high esteem of all who know him.