"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

Henry Calderood was born in the county of Antrim, Ireland, Feb. 2, 1819. His father was Matthew Calderood, a native also of that place. Henry came to the United States and landed in New York City in 1847. He remained there one month then went to a farm near Boston, Mass., and hired for $11.50 a month for one year. In December, 1849, he went to Philadelphia, Pa., where he lived until the spring of 1851, then came to Scott County and resided in Le claire one year; then purchased his present farm of 278 acres in Sheridan Township, and is extensively engaged in farming and stock-breeding. He was married in Philadelphia to Nancy A. Carson, March 18, 1850. To them have been born eight children, two living - Lizzie and Matthew Henry. They lost four of their children in one week, of scarlet fever. One son, Cameron, was burned to death by kerosene, at the age of 10 years. Mr. and Mrs. Calderood are members of the Presbyterian church at Eldridge.


"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

William McGinnis, Sr., farmer; postoffice, Le Claire: was born in County Antrim, Ireland, May, 1815, son of John and Ester McGinnis, natives of Ireland, where they were married and seven children were born. When 16 years of age he came to the United States and located in Philadelphia, where he had a brother, who had previously sent him some school-books from Philadelphia, and among them was the speech of Henry Clay on the freedom of America, which caused a desire to visit this country. After arriving in Philadelphia he got employment in a cotton factory, where he remained nearly two years, accumulating some money, during that time.
He came to Galena, Ill., at that time one of the principal business centers of the Northwest, where he was employed in Burton's smelting works for a few months; then went to Plattville, where he followed mining five years. saved some money and made a claim in Jo Daviess Co., Ill.; he made some improvements and sold it to $800. After selling his farm he made a trip down the river, where he purchased sugar, coffee, apples, etc., and took them to Galena and sold them. On his first trip up the river Mr. McGinnis was delighted with Davenport, and in his second trip his attachment became so strong for this section of country, that he came and made his claim, and afterward purchased 160 acres of land. Having wild-cat money he was forced to pay 15 per cent in exchange for money to purchase his land. In 1841 he built his first log cabin. In 1843 married Miss Mary Campbell, a daughter of John Campbell. She was born June 22, 1824. By this union there were 12 children, eight of whom are living, viz.: John C., Esther M., Martha J., Eliza L., Isaphenia, William H., Barelay J., Preston H. Mr. McGinnis came to this country when a poor boy, and to Iowa when it was in its infancy, and by hard work and good judgment has accumulated a fine property and home, and is one of the representative farmers of the county. Has 360 acres of valuable land, worth $75 per acre. Mr. and Mrs. McGinnis are members of the Christian church. Mr. McGinnis is one of the pioneers of Scott County, and has done much for the elevation of its morals and institutions.


From the book "The History of Clinton County Iowa" by L. P. Allen (1879)

DAM DUNN, farmer, Sec. 14; P.O. Clinton; is a native of County Antrim, near Belfast, Ireland, and emigrated to America when only 14 years. He lived in Monroe Co., N. Y., until the fall of 1839, when he and his brother came to Iowa, to Clinton Co., and bought a claim. The following summer, he returned to New York State, and came out here again in the fall; the next summer, it being very sickly, he  again went to York State, and remained two and a half years; then came back to this county and located where he now lives, near Clinton. He is one of the early settlers of  this county; there are few here now that were here when he came. He had nothing when he began life; by industry and good management, he now owns 500 acres of good land. He married Elizabeth Crawshaw, a native of England, in 1845; she came to  America with her parents when only 7 years of age; they have three children -- William, who is married and living in this county; Alice Ann, who married Reuben Huntoon, of Evanston, Ill., and lives in this county; and  Elizabeth Frances, at home.


From the book "The History of Clinton County Iowa" by L. P. Allen (1879)

JOHN BLACK, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. De Witt; born in County Antrim, Ireland, Jan. 1, 1817;  he removed to England in the spring of 1836, and to New York the same year, where he lived five years; then went to Alabama, where he lived till 1850, when he came to Clinton Co., and bought a claim to the farm where he now lives. He married, in 1836, Ann Corner, a native of County Mayo, Ireland; they have had ten children, none now living, and but one of whom attained adult age— James F., died Oct. 11, 1873, from the effects of an injury received two weeks previous; he married Mary Ann Eberhart; she has two children—Bridget A. and Mary M.


From the book "The History of Clinton County Iowa" by L. P. Allen (1879)

THOMAS KELLY, farmer and auctioneer, De Witt; born in Antrim Co., Ireland, in 1818; he came to America in 1838, and located in Philadelphia, where he resided seven years; he then returned to Ireland, but in 1847 returned to America and located in Canada. He married, in 1851, Nancy Flaoter, of Canada; he first came to Clinton in 1859, with a drove of horses, which he disposed of and returned to Canada; he located in De Witt in 1860; has five children-Thomas, Mary M., Laura J., and Fred and Edward, twins. Mr. Kelly was engaged in butchering in De Witt for eleven years; he owns a farm of 200 acres, two miles south of town


History of Delaware County, Iowa...Captain John F. Merry, supervising ed. 2
vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1914

Peter Guthrie has retired from the cares of active life and is living in Hopkinton, but he was for many years an energetic farmer of south Fork township and his labor brought him a gratifying competence. He was born February 22, 1823, in County Antrim, Ireland, where he remained until he reached the age of twenty-seven years, at which time he crossed the Atlantic to the new world and settled in Livingston county, New York, where he remained with relatives for five and a half years. He then came to Hopkinton by way of Dubuque and purchased eighty acres of land in the county from the Rev. Dr. Roberts, paying eight dollars an acre. He subsequently added to his property until he became the owner of two hundred and forty acres of land situated on sections 15, 21, and 22, South Fork township. He was a tireless worker and, as he also displayed excellent judgment in the management of his farm, he annually realized a good profit from the sale of his farm products. He now lives retired at Hopkinton and his son Robert J. is operating the home farm, which he rents from his father. The latter is ninety-one years of age, but is still in excellent health and takes a keen intelligent interest in the work of the world.
In 1856 Mr. Guthrie was married to Miss Jane Anne Guthrie, his second cousin, who died in 1871 at the comparatively early age of forty-three years. To them were born five children, of whom one son died in infancy, the others being as follows. Dr. James Renwick [Guthrie], born July 22, 1858, is now dean of the College of Medicine at the State University of Iowa, where he has been a professor for twenty-five years. On the twenty-fifth anniversary of his service as professor he was given a beautiful loving cup by his former students. The presentation speech was made by Dr. R.E. Conniff, of Sioux City, a graduate of the university with the class of 1884. Dr. James R. Guthrie married Miss Harriet Dowsell and they became the parents of five children: Edward who died in infancy; and Helen Janann. Robert John, born October 16, 1861, the second son of our subject is farming the homestead. He was married to Miss Jennie Mullen and they have become parents of seven children. William B., Ph.B., was born September 8, 1868, and after completing the course in the common schools entered Lenox College, from which he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1893. He continued his studies in the State University of Iowa and in 1895 was granted the degree of Ph.B., by that institution. From 1895 to 1897 he taught history in Lenox College and then entered the graduate school of the University of Chicago. He subsequently was a student in political science at Columbia University and from 1889 to 1900 he studied at the University of Berlin. In 1900 and 1901 he was employed in the library of history and political economy in the University of Chicago and in 1901 and 1902 he again studied abroad, attending lectures in the universities of Berlin and Paris. He is the author of several books dealing with political and social questions including, "Housing Problems in Germany," and "Socialism before the French Revolution," the latter dedicated to his father and sister. he is at present assistant professor of modern history in the College of New York, lecturer on social science under the board of education and special lecturer on foreign investments in the school of commerce and finance of the University of New York. He married Miss Jennie Kelso, of Bellevue, Jackson county, Iowa, and they have one child Mary Ellen, the only daughter, was born January 29, 1866, and is a graduate of Lenox College. After her graduation she taught a class in her alma mater as assistant, but is now keeping house and caring for her father. in January, 1875, Mr. Guthrie married Mrs. Jane Woodburn, a native of New York, who died May 2, 1888.
The family belong to the Reformed Presbyterian church, in which Mr. Guthrie taught a ladies' Sunday school class for twenty-five years. Miss Mary Guthrie has also been active in Sunday school work and has taught a number of classes. Mr. Guthrie has reason to look back with pride upon his long and useful life, as he not only prospered materially but gave his children a splendid home training, which has been the foundation upon which they have built their successful lives. He is passing his declining years in ease and has the honor not only of his children but of all who know him.


History of Delaware County, Iowa...Captain John F. Merry, supervising ed. 2
vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1914

T.S. McRoberts, a successful and well known agriculturist residing on section 32, Prairie township, is the owner of four hundred and fifty acres of valuable land in that and Adams townships. His birth occurred in County Antrim, Ireland, on the 17th of May, 1874, his parents being Thomas and Elizabeth (McWilliams) McRoberts, likewise natives of that country. Our subject was the sixth in order of birth in their family of eight children, seven of whom survive, two being residents of the Emerald isle and five of the United States. The parents have passed away.
T.S. McRoberts spent the first fifteen years of his life in  the land of his nativity and in September, 1889, emigrated to the United States, settling in Scotland county, Missouri, where he followed farming for five years. On the expiration of that period, in 1894, he came to Delaware county, Iowa, and here worked as a farm hand for four years. He then purchased a tract of one hundred and twenty acres on section 32, Prairie township, where he has resided continuously since, and also owns three hundred and thirty acres in Adams township, his holdings therefore embracing four hundred and fifty acres of rich and productive land. The property lies three miles north of Robinson and four and three fourths miles west of Ryan. In addition to the cultivation of cereals Mr. McRoberts raises full-blooded Durham cattle and Red Jersey hogs, both branches of his business returning to him a gratifying annual income. By careful and wise management he has won a well merited measure of prosperity and has gained recognition among the substantial and representative citizens of the community which has now been his home for two decades.
On the 20th of January, 1899, Mr. McRoberts was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Robinson, a daughter of Anthony Robinson. They have six children, namely: Sarah, John, Margaret, Ethel, Thomas and Viola, all at home.


History of Delaware County, Iowa...Captain John F. Merry, supervising ed. 2
vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1914

A model twentieth century farm is that owned and operated by James Alexander Johnson on sections 22, 23, 27, Union township. He was born March 10, 1870, in Union township, a son of Alexander R and Elizabeth (Guthrie) Johnson. The father, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, was born on the 28th of March, 1829, and passed away on the 24th of April, 1913, at the advanced age of eighty-four years. His wife, who was born June 26, 1832, had reached the age of seventy-seven years when called to her final rest on the 24th of June, 1909. They were the parents of six children, of whom four are yet living. The eldest, Rebecca J., born December 17, 1865, became the wife of Samuel J Logan, a farmer now living in Texas, and they had two children but both died in infancy. The eldest son of the family also passed away in infancy. Mary Elizabeth, the third, was born September 4, 1868, and is now the wife of Samuel A. Ensign, a retired farmer of Storm Lake, Iowa, by whom she had five children, of whom three survive. The fourth of the family is James A., of this review. William S. is the next in order of birth, Anna Marguerita, born January 10, 1874, has recently been traveling in Europe and has just returned from the east.
James A. Johnson of this review is indebted to the public-school system of the county for the educational privileges which he enjoyed and since putting aside his text-books he has been upon the home farm, devoting his entire life to general agricultural pursuits. Before the father died he divided his property among his children, and with that which he inherited added to that which he had already purchased, James A Johnson became the owner of six hundred and thirty acres of valuable and productive land in union township. His is one of the fine farming properties of the district, and in addition to the cultivation of crops best adapted to soil and climate, he is extensively and successfully engaged in raising hogs, cattle and horses, his live stock featuring as one of the most important phases of his business. In 1913 he erected upon his farm a beautiful modern residence heated with hot water and lighted by electricity.
On the 24th of September, 1902, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Ferguson, who was born June 3, 1880, her parents being Frank and Clara Ferguson. Her father, who was a railroad man, is deceased. They had but two children and the son died in infancy. Unto Mr. and Mrs Johnson have been born seven children: William Alexander, born October 5, 1903; Elmer James, November 9, 1904; Grace Elizabeth, November 9, 1905; Dorothy Burrell, January 22, 1908; Alfred Russell, November 20, 1910; Harlan Ronald, October 10, 1912; and Clarence Eugene, May 26, 1914. The four eldest are now attending school.
Mr. Johnson had filled the office of township trustee and township clerk and is now treasurer of the township board. He puts forth earnest effort for the welfare of the district and cooperates in all measures that tend to advance public progress and improvement. He has always been a republican in his political views, supporting the party where national  issues are involved but at local elections casting an independent ballot. He and his family hold membership in the Presbyterian church. His life has been well spent and has been characterized by unremitting industry in business and by geniality and cordiality in all of his social relations. His salient qualities are such as have won for him high regard and gained for him warm friendship throughout the county.


History of Johnson County, Iowa...from 1836 to 1882; Iowa City, Iowa: 1883

Hon. William J. Haddock, a resident of Iowa City, and engaged in the practice of law, was born Feb 28, 1835, near Belfast, county Antrim, Ireland; came to America in 1849; landed at Philadelphia, Penn. He was married Aug 2, 1865, to Miss Emma Humphrey, of Tipton, Iowa, a graduate of the State University. She was the first woman admitted to practice law by the U.S. Court. Mr. Haddock was admitted to the bar in 1862, and entered the law office of Hon. Rush Clark as a partner Feb 8, 1867, and remained such until his death. He graduated from the normal department of the State University in June, 1862. He was appointed secretary of the board of regents of the State University June 28, 1864, and has served in that capacity continuously since. He was appointed by the secretary of the Interior of the United States on a committee to investigate charges of fraud against the Indian agent of the Pawnee tribe. A republican in politics, and is an active and earnest worker in all matters pertaining to his party.


History of Johnson County, Iowa...from 1836 to 1882; Iowa City, Iowa: 1883

John Reynolds, a farmer in Hardin township, post-office  address, Windham; was b. Aug 15, 1817, in Antrim, Ireland; came to America in 1841 and to Johnson county in 1856; settled in Oxford township and moved onto his present farm in 1865. He was married March 3, 1851, to Miss Anna Williams. They have seven children: Francis who died in 1879; Mary, wife of James McCabe of Iowa City; Katie, Theresa both school teachers; John, Maggie and Thomas. The family  are members of St. Peter’s Church at Windham. He is a democrat in politics ; filled the office of justice of the peace, two terms in Oxford township and in Hardin township;  has filled the office of township trustee and assessor and has just entered upon his third term as justice of the peace in Jan 1883

The History of Jackson County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879.


Joseph McCoy, farming and milling, Maquoketa; he was born in Co. Antrim, Ireland about 1808. Came to the U.S. in 1823 and to Jackson county in 1842 and settled on farm where he now resides. He married Phoebe S. Bellows February 18, 1828; she was born in New Hampshire. They had 5 children. She died February 28, 1871. He married Miss Catherine L. Barton May 7, 1872; she was born in New Hampshire. He owns 40 acres of land, situated at the city limits; value $100 per acre. Himself and wife are members of Congregational Church. He is a Republican.


Biographical History of Pottawattamie County: Lewis Pub. Co., 1891.

     Martha Martin is one of the self-reliant women of Valley Township, who, after the death of her husband, Robert Martin, has successfully carried on the farm and reared her family. Robert Martin was born in County Antrim, Ireland, and was the son of James Martin, who was born at that place, and was a farmer by occupation. He married Susan Taylor, and they were the parents of four children: Daniel, James, Robert and Jane. The father lived to the age of eighty-seven years, dying in his native place. Both he and his wife were members of the Presbyterian church. His son Daniel married and was the father of five children, and also died in the county Antrim. The remainder of the children came to America.
     Robert Martin, a son of the above, and the husband of our subject, was born about 1832, on his father's farm, who had been born, reared and died there.  At the age of seventeen, wishing to better his fortune, he came to America landing at Philadelphia. He learned the trade of ingrain-carpet weaver, at which he worked until about 1860. In 1856 he went to Illinois, and June 3 was married to Martha McBride, of Fulton, Illinois, and the daughter of John and Elizabeth McBride. The father, a Scotch-Irishman, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, and after marriage moved to County Derry, about three miles from where James Martin lived. In 1842 he came to America, settling at Philadelphia, where he worked at his trade of weaver, which he had learned in Scotland. He died in Philadelphia about three years after his arrival. Mr .and Mrs. McBride were the parents of five children: Isabel, Mary J., William, Ellen and Martha. The mother also died in Philadelphia, previous to her husband's death, and they were both members of the Presbyterian church, in which the father was an Elder and a devout Christian.
     Martha was a little girl of about six years when her parents died, and she was brought up in Philadelphia by a married sister, Mary J. Thompson, wife of Daniel Thompson, who moved to Fulton County, Illinois, where she lived three years, until her marriage to Robert Martin. They returned to Philadelphia, remaining until 1862, when they settled on a farm in Ontario, Canada, remaining until 1871, and in that year they came to their present home. When they settled here it was wild land, and they first lived in tents, but by industry and economy this faithful pioneer couple converted their farm into fine, fertile land, and to which they have added until Mrs. Martin now owns 160 acres in her own right, and her sons have 240 acres more, making in all 400 acres of splendid farm land. January 16, 1880, Mr. Martin died, since which time his widow has carried on the farm and brought up her family. She possesses good business ability and is an excellent manager. She is the mother of seven children, viz: Mary J., deceased in infancy; Ella J., also deceased in infancy; William J., of Hancock, was married to Margaret J. Dool, and they have one child; Robert J. was married to Louisa E. Bair; Daniel T. married Mina Britton; Annie E. married Albert Peterson, this county, and Emma M. Both Mr. and Mrs. Martin were members of the Presbyterian Church, and the former assisted in organizing the Knox Presbyterian Church, in which he as an elder until his death. In his political views he was a Republican, and he had an honest ambition to have his family in comfortable circumstances, and to grow up good, moral and industrious men and women, with Christian principles. He was a kind father and loving husband, and his descendants may well revere his memory. Mrs. Martin has, in a measure, since his death filled his place, and has instilled in her children the same principles of truth and honesty.


Biographical History of Pottawattamie County: Lewis Pub. Co., 1891.

     Thomas Dool, a substantial farmer on Valley Township, is the son of Robert Dool, who was born in County Antrim, Ireland and was of sterling Scotch-Irish descent. he was the son of Henry Dool, who came from Scotland and settled on a farm in Ireland, and was the father of five children: John, Henry, Robert and Martha. Robert came to America when a young married man, in 1817; his name was spelled Doole. He was married to Margaret Spears, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, and they were the parents of eight children: William S., Henry and Hannah (twins), Rosean, Margaret, Mary, John and Thomas. The first three were born in Ireland, and Rosean was born on the ocean in an English ship flying under American colors for safety in French waters; so it is said that she did not know her nationality. The remainder of the children were born in America. John Spears also came to America in 1821, bring his wife, nee May Hannah, and four children: Robert, May, Hannah, Margaret. The father came to Ohio, where he was among the early pioneers of Guernsey County, and where he lived until 1831. He was a member of the old Seceder Presbyterian Church, and was an honorable man. Mr. Dool landed in Philadelphia, and went directly to Ohio, settling in Harrison County, where he was a pioneer. He lived only to the age of thirty-nine years, dying of canal fever in 1829. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, and a man who loved his family, which tempted him to risk life and health in a struggle with the wilderness in order to better their condition. Mrs. Dool was left with a family of small children, to whom she taught industry and honesty, which is always learned at the mother's knee. In 1859 she came to Illinois with her son John, where she died at the age of ninety years. She was born in 1792 and died in 1882. She was a lady of strong character and hardy constitution, and strove to teach her children, all of whom became good citizens; one son, William S., a Presbyterian minister, followed that profession in Ohio and Illinois for many years.
     Thomas Dool, our subject, was born on his father's farm in Harrison County, Ohio, July 26, 1828, and, like many of our famous men, had little chance to attend school, and after eleven years of age did not attend school at all. He learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for eleven years. In March 1862, he went to Mercer County, Illinois, where he remained eleven years. In 1878 he came to Pottawattamie county, settling on his present farm of eighty acres, but which he has since improved and converted into a fine farm of commodious residence and many other improvements. He is respected by his fellow citizens, and takes an active interest in the cause of education, having served as Justice of the Peace and as School Director. He has made his property by hard labor, and is truly a self made man.
     Mr. Dool married in Harrison County, Ohio, to Mary Bell, daughter of John and Margaret (Clifford) Bell. The father was an Irishman by birth, and came to America in 1841, settling on a farm in Harrison County.
     He was the father of ten children, viz; Mary, Benjamin, Esther, Samuel (deceased in his second year), John, George, Edward, James, Margaret A., and Jane. Benjamin was a soldier in the civil war, enlisting at the beginning and was in several battles. he died in June, 1862, from Typhoid fever. The father removed to his farm in Mercer county, Illinois, in 1864, where he is still living. To Mr. and Mrs. Dool have been born four children: Henry E. (deceased at the age of twenty-six); William J., who was born in 1859; Margaret J, and Mary E. Both Mr .and Mrs. Dool are members of the Presbyterian Church, in which Mr. Dool has been an elder for many years. He assisted in organizing the Knox Presbyterian Church, and with Robert Martin, was elected elder.


The History of Jones County, Iowa; .Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1879

        Rev. James McKean, deceased, Anamosa. James McKean was born near Pease's Mill on Ten-Mile Creek, Washington Co., Penn., on the 24th of September, 1795; his father's name was Hugh McKean, who was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1753; the father of Hugh McKean died in 1763, at an advanced age. The family came originally from Scotland, and were what is known as the Scotch-Irish, settling in Ireland about the close of the sixteenth century, and were originally Scotch Coventers. James' youth was spent on a farm west of New Wilmington on the Pulaski road, one mile from the Chenango Creek. He joined the army at the age of 19 years, in the war against Great Britain, at Erie, Penn., and was a member of Capt. Rea's company, Col. Christy, Pennsylvania Militia; on his discharge he marched home, ninety miles; the weather was cold and the snow was deep, and in after life he was afflicted with bronchitis and weakness of the chest arising from disease contracted in this army career. The schools at that early day were few; and classical education was difficult to obtain; he worked by the job or by the month, and in any way that was remunerative and honorable, to obtain funds; he was one of the men who, in the year 1818, helped to clear the ground where Wooster, Ohio, now stands, receiving $15 per month for his services; for several years, he attended the academy at Mercer, Penn., under the care of a teacher named Anderson, and went over the whole college curriculum, but, owing to failure of health, was not able to finish the course at Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, where several of his classmates graduated. He was married to Nancy Smith of Mercer Co., Penn., in May, 1822. His health failing from over-study while at school, he was not expected to live, and retired to his farm in Neshannock Township, Lawrence Co., Penn., where his health was comparatively restored, and after about nine years, having studied theology under the charge of Rev. William Wood, Pastor of Neshannock Church, and for two years under the care of Beaver Presbytery, he was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Beaver, and , about the year 1834, was sent as a missionary to Ohio, where he settled as Pastor of Waynesburg, Still Fork and Bethlehem Churches, at a salary of $400 per year, which, at that early day, was all that they could pay; as the churches grew stronger and his labors increased, he gave up Bethlehem and Still Fork by consent of the Presbytery, at about the year 1845, and retained Waynesburg alone of the three original churches, and, for nine years, preached at Waynesburg and New Harrisburg, until the year 1856, when he removed to Scotch Grove, Jones Co, Iowa. At the time he preached in Ohio, there was an organization of infidels, under the lead of one Permarr and Zach Wathy, who were followers of Hume, Bolingbroke and Thomas Paine; this leader gave him an opportunity for a public discussion and the question was as to the credibility of the religion of Christ; he completely and forever demolished the society, which never met after for discussion. He lectured on temperance and slavery, and persistently fought every foe of man and of the country. For years, during the winter months, he preached in schoolhouses and private dwellings all over his county, and beyond; nearly every church from the Ohio River west, in the Steubenville Presbytery, was privileged to hear his faithful exhortations and pungent logic; the disease of his throat so increased upon him that, at the age of 60 years he was compelled to give up the pastorate in Ohio and remove to Iowa; here for several years he preached one-half of his time to the church of Wayne. He died on the 1st of September, 1876, at Scotch Grove, Iowa, and was buried in the cemetery of the Presbyterian Church. He had eight children as follows: Jane McKean, who died and was buried at Bethlehem, Ohio; Rev. James McKean, President of Lenox Collegiate Institute, and Captain Co. C., 44th I.V.I., who died at Memphis, Tenn., in the officers' hospital, on the 9th of July, 1864; Dr. Hugh C. McKean, the beloved physician of Scotch Grove, where his name and memory are still held sacred in the minds of many, to whose health he had contributed; he died in November, 1865; F.S. McKean, attorney at law, Anamosa, Iowa, for many years Auditor of Carroll Co., Ohio, and County Treasurer of Jones Co., Iowa, who died on the 25th of December, 1867; Francis C. McKean, Captain of Co. D. of the 9th I. Veteran V.I., and attorney and counselor at law, who died at Evans, Colo., on the 5th of May, 1874; Dr. Alexander McKean, of Scotch Grove; C.B. McKean, of Scotch Grove, and John McKean, of Anamosa, Judge of the Circuit Court, Eighth Judicial Court.


Gue, B.F. Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa. Des Moines: Conaway & Shaw Publishers, 1899.

Mchenry, W. A., son of James and Sarah (Allen) McHenry, was born in Almond, N. Y., on the 6th of March, 1841. He is of Scotch-Irish descent. His grandfather, John McHenry was born in Coleraine, County Antrim, Ireland, and came to America in 1730, on the same ship with the father of DeWitt Clinton. He served as major of the First New York battalion in the French war of 1756-7. His son, Henry McHenry, was born at Wallkill Valley, Orange county, N. Y., July, 1752, and served as captain in the Second United States (or Continental army) infantry during the war of the revolution. His son, James McHenry, was born at Fishing Creek, Northumberland county, Pa., in 1788, and in 1797 the family moved to McHenry Valley, Allegany county, N. Y. In the war of 1812 he served as first lieutenant in Captain Van Campen's company of rifles, and died in June, 1841. W. A. McHenry was his youngest son. He lived in the old homestead until he was 14 years of age, when he went to Milton, Wis., with his brother, Vincent McHenry. He received a common school education, and, in 1860, removed to Ogle county, Ill., where he worked on a farm until the commencement of the civil war. Thrilled with patriotic fire he volunteered, September 5, 1861, as a private in Company L, Eighth Illinois cavalry. The regiment was immediately sent to Washington and attached to the army of the Potomac, participating in all the important battles in which that army was engaged until January, 1864, when the regiment was veteranized and transferred to the department at Washington. It was then made their duty to look after Mosby's band of guerrillas, and the regiment gained for itself great distinction in hand to hand encounters with the enemy. During his service Mr. McHenry personally captured eight of the enemy and had many narrow escapes, but escaped without injury. He was mustered out of the service as first sergeant, July 23, 1865. He was previously recommended by Captain Bradley to fill a vacancy of lieutenant in the company but owing to the close of the war did not receive the commission. At the close of the war he formed a partnership with his brother in the real estate business at Denison, Iowa. Emigration rapidly followed the extension of railroad lines to the Pacific and the firm of McHenry Bros. did a large and profitable business in the selling of land. Banking was added and success attended both enterprises.


Gue, B.F. Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa. Des Moines: Conaway & Shaw Publishers, 1899.

Stuart, William, who is extensively engaged in the land business in the new town of Armstrong, Emmet county, has had an active life which has been crowned with success, especially in a business way. He was born in the County Antrim, Ireland, near the town of Carrigallen. His father was Alexander Stuart and his mother was Margaret Ellis Stuart. He was of Scotch and she was of English descent. They were farmers, and emigrated to Canada, settling near Mitchell, Ontario, where their son William received his early education. Later he was sent to school in West Mokton, Ontario. In 1879 William Stuart located in Grundy Center, Iowa, where he was engaged in the blacksmithing trade for several years. After he had accumulated about $700 he went into partnership with a brother in Fulton, Ill., which he sold out in 1884 and engaged in the agricultural implement business for eight years, part of the time with E. H. Dodd as a partner. He then sold his interest in this business, and left Grundy Center, and formed a partnership with B. F. Robinson to start a bank in the prospective town of Armstrong, Emmet county. They organized the Armstrong bank in 1892, with William Stuart as president and B. F. Robinson, cashier, erecting a substantial building of their own. Three years later he sold his interest in the bank to John Dows and has since been dealing extensively in land. Mr. Stuart has served as mayor of Grundy Center, and chairman of the republican county committee and is at present a member of the committee, and is a member of the county board of supervisors. He has always been a republican. He belongs to all the Masonic lodges, the Blue Lodge, and Chapter and Commandery, Mystic Shrine and Eastern Star. He is a member of the Methodist church. On the 26th of December, 1882, Mr. Stuart was married to Jennie Dunn. They have three children: Grace, Alta and Hazel.


Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Union Counties...Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.

     John Hutchison, an active and enterprising farmer of Rice Township, living on section 18, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, born March 14, 1836, a son of George and Fanny (Luke) Hutchison, both of whom died in Ireland. John Hutchison lived in his native country till nineteen years of age,  when he sailed from Liverpool, England, for America, landing at New York City, July 8, 1855. He spent the first two years of his residence in this country in the State of New Jersey, where he was employed as a farm hand. He then came to McHenry County, Illinois, where he was married in 1859 to Miss Helen D. Cross, a native of Steuben County, New York, and a daughter of James Cross. After his marriage Mr. Hutchison began farming on rented land, which he followed until 1865. In the spring of that year he removed to Leavenworth County, Kansas, and the first year was in the Government employ in the Quartermaster's Department, and the following year worked on a rented farm. In November, 1866, he came to Ringgold County, when he bought 120 acres and at once commenced improving his land. He still owns eighty acres of that purchase. His homestead now contains 200 acres of good land under fine cultivation. Mrs. Hutchison died January 6, 1882, at that age of forty-five years, leaving at her death a family of eight children- Mrs. Sarah Jane Hall, Mrs. Fanny M. Dille, George E., Mrs. Mary Fertig, Cora, William, Susan and Maud all living at home but the married daughters. Isabel, the sixth child, died at the age of two and a half years. For his second wife Mr. Hutchison married Mrs. Martha (Bates) Day, in December, 1883, and to this union have been born two children- Edith and Adam Clark. Mr. Hutchison came to America a poor boy, but by his industry, frugality, and good management he has prospered in his agricultural pursuits, becoming the owner of a fine property, and by his honorable and upright dealings has gained the confidence of the entire community. Mr. Hutchison is in his religious faith a Presbyterian. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party. Mr. Hutchison has held several offices, serving as assessor three years, three years as trustee, two years as clerk, and school director thirteen years, holding all these positions acceptably and efficiently.


The History of Linn County, Iowa...Chicago: Western Hist. Co., 1878

Pierce, Patrick, farmer, Sec. 36; P.O. West Prairie; born in Antrim, Co., Ireland, June 6, 1828; lived there till 21 years old; engaged in weaving; acme to Clinton Co., Iowa, in Jan., 1850; worked on a farm by the month for eight years and then bought a farm of his own. Married Miss Sarah McCone April 27, 1863; their children are Alexander J., born Jan. 26, 1864; Mary C., Feb. 18, 1866; William J., Feb. 25, 1871; George E., Oct. 6, 1874; Susannah A., Oct. 6, 1874. Mrs. P. is a member of the M.E. Church of Paris. Mr. P. is quite extensively engaged in the stock business; came to his present farm in Feb. 1870, it then being raw prairie; he now has a fine farm well fenced, and a fine grove around buildings. Has always been a Democrat. Owns 248 acres of land, valued at $6,000.


Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp 391-392

     JOHN FRANCY, a farmer of Jackson Township, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in the year 1816, and is a son of John and Agnes (Carly) Francy. The children of this couple were all born in Ireland, and were twelve in number—Ellen, William, David, Robert, Mary, George, Margaret, Agnes, Jane, Rose, John and Alexander.  John Francy, Sr., and his wife Agnes, resided upon a farm in Ireland and were of that industrious and enterprising class that keep the business world moving. He was a great lover of fine horses, and his stables never contained an inferior animal. During their lifetime the parents remained on the homestead, and both reached a ripe age. They were of the Protestant faith, and their children all followed the Christian teachings of their parents.

     In 1839 our subject was married to Miss Joyce Richey, born in 1819, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, and their eldest son, Timothy, was born in the Emerald Isle. In May, 1840, Mr. and Mrs. Francy bade adieu to home, friends and kindred, and with their meager possessions, embarked at Belfast for Liverpool, and from there took passage to New York, arriving in that city in July, having spent ten weeks upon the ocean, during which time three of the sailors were buried in the sea. Sailing fifty miles up the North River, they stopped for a few months in Newburg, Orange Co., N. Y., Mr. Francy securing work there on a farm. After deliberation the young couple decided to try their fortune in Virginia, and in September, 1840, located in Wheeling, where Mr. Francy secured employment at the tile and fire-brick manufactory, at which business he was an expert. In the city of Wheeling their children, William J., George and Eliza, were born.

     Carefully hoarding his earnings, Mr. Francy found himself possessor of enough cash, at the end of seven years, to purchase a small farm if they should remove to the West, and deciding to remove to this county, of which they had heard favorable mention, in 1851 a permanent location was made, Mr. Francy purchasing 100 acres, a part of his present homestead. Small improvements had been made and a trifling log cabin built. Into this the family moved, and the wife soon had their few household goods placed in order; the children grew robust and the old cabin had to have an addition. Later this was covered with boards and made into a comfortable dwelling. As the lands were cleared prosperity came, and her smiles have never dimin­ished. Other lands have been purchased and the merry laughter of the children and their ambition to aid in the work of improving the farm, gave added zest to the parents. Two other sons were born on the homestead, Robert and David, and the old house still stands as a landmark. Many pleasant memories cluster about the quaint old relic. Its roof gave shelter to a happy family, and through its open doors the children ran in their play, and through its old-fashioned windows the baby-boys watched for the coming of their father, who always greeted them with a smile and a pleasant word. But this house has seen its time, and a fine house has taken its place. The children have grown to manhood and womanhood and are widely scattered, but the family circle remains unbroken by death. The same cheerful matron presides in the modern farmhouse who gave the kindly greetings to the weary stranger or the new-corner who called at her cabin door when the country was new and the crops of 1851 were not so fruitful as now. The Francy mansion has ever been noted as one of the most hospitable homes in the county, and the children are fit representatives of such parents.

     Of the children, Timothy became the husband of Martha Hall; William J., who wedded Eliza Lisle, was a dispatch bearer during the late war, but belonged to no particular command (see sketch); George, a resident of Salt Lake City, married a lady there; Eliza remains with her parents and is unmarried; Robert is now the husband of Sarah Robey, and David wedded Miss Ella Clark. Every child mentioned does honor to the parents and among the most successful business men are the children of John and Joyce Francy.

     In their mature years this good couple can look back upon a well-spent life, and from the day their troth was plighted neither has ever had cause to regret their union. Blessed with health and rich in purse, their old age is pleasantly passed. Among the old settlers and representative families of this county they find a cordial remembrance, and in one of the cosiest and neatest of homes they are enjoying the fruits of a life of industry and thrift, surrounded with the comforts of life, and enjoying the respect and esteem of the entire community.


Harlan, Edgar Rubey. A Narrative History of the People of Iowa. Vol IV. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931

p. 206

     REV. WILLIAM B. MATHEWS is pastor of one of the flourishing congregations of the Disciples denomination at Des Moines, the Central Church of Christ, at ninth and Pleasant streets. Rev. Mr. Mathews has had several assignments of duty in the ministry and for several years was engaged in Y.M.C.A. work and was in that line of duty while overseas during the World war and post-war periods.
    He was born at Newcastle, Pennsylvania, May 30, 1892, son of Thomas and Annie J. (Barnes) Mathews. His grandfather, William John Mathews, was a native of Ireland, of Scotch ancestry, was a linen merchant at Belfast, and later came to the United States and died in Pennsylvania. His son, Thomas Mathews, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, and came to America at the age of twenty-seven and has spent his life largely as a farmer. He and his wife reside at Newcastle, Pennsylvania, and are active members of the Christian Church there. He is a Republican in politics and has filled some minor offices in his community. His wife was born at Pittsburgh, daughter of William Thomas Barnes, who was born in Belfast, Ireland, and was educated at the University of Dublin and became a minister of the Christian Church. Later he engaged in business as a land dealer and farmer in Pennsylvania. Thomas Mathews and wife had a family of five children and the four now living are: Lillian, at home; Sarah, wife of George Shaffer, foreman of a tin mill at Newcastle, Pennsylvania; Miss Martha, a school principal at Newcastle; and Rev. William B.
    William B. Mathews grew up at Newcastle, attended public schools there and graduated in 1917, with the A.B. degree, from Hiram College of Ohio. He had taught school a year before going to college, and after being ordained a minister of the Church of the Disciples had a church in Pittsburgh, leaving that to go overseas as a Y.M.C.A. secretary under the war council. He remained overseas until the latter part of 1920, having charge of Y.M.C.A. work with the Greek forces in Turkey.
    Rev. Mr. Mathews after returning home resumed his residence at Pittsburgh, where he was continued under the authority of the Y.M.C.A. for one year. For two years he was a student in the University of Chicago, form which he was graduated with the degrees of Master of Arts and Bachelor of Divinity. Since graduating Rev. Mr. Mathews has given his time to two churches, spending four years at Bloomington, Indiana, and in 1926 came to Des Moines as pastor of the Central Church of Christ. He has had a very congenial sphere of work here, has a congregation of over 1300, and is the type of minister who is a community leader as well as a successful churchman.
    He married in 1923, Miss Edith E. Smith, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where she was reared and educated. They have a son, Thomas George Mathews, born in 1925. Rev. Mr. Mathews is a member of the Delta Theta Chi honorary professional fraternity and is a member of the Kiwanis Club and the Chamber of Commerce at Des Moines.


 Portrait and Biographical Album, Wapello County, Iowa, published by Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

     EDWARD JOHNSTON, a farmer and stock-grower on section 5, Richland Township, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, Oct. 5, 1822, and is the son of Edward and Margaret (Crone) Johnston, both of whom were natives of Ireland and died in that country. When twenty-three years of age Edward came to America, crossing the ocean in a sailing vessel, and being on the water six weeks and three days. He landed at New York City, remaining there a short time, and then went to Pittsburgh, Pa., where he staid until 1850, when he came to Iowa, traveling by steamboat down the Ohio and up the Mississippi Rivers to Burlington, at which place he remained about four months, and then came by stage to Wapello County.
     Mr. Johnston was married, March 11, 1850, to Mary Carnes, a native of Harrison County, Ohio, born March 25, 1831, and a daughter of Joshua and Nancy (Cook) Carnes. Her parents moved from Ohio to Iowa in 1849, and died in Columbia Township, this county. The father was a native of Maryland, and the mother of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Johnston are the parents of ten children: Julia A., born Jan. 1, 1852, is the wife of George Vermilion, and now resides in Richland Township; Nancy E., born April 2, 1853, was married to George Carlyle, and is now living in Nebraska; William H., born near Kirkville, June 3, 1854, married Martha E. Cox and lives in Mahaska County; Lizzie C., born March 16, 1857, is the wife of Walter Brown and lives in Pennsylvania; George H., born Sept. 12, 1859, is living at home with his parents; Arra B., born June 7, 1861, died Aug. 26, 1864; Joshua M., born June 30, 1863, died July 21, 1864; John E., born Sept. 13, 1864, married Lottie Pellen, and lives in Kirksville; Jed B., born July 9, 1866, lives at home; Isaac H., born June 7, 1868, lives at home.
     When Mr. Johnston first came to Wapello County he purchased 160 acres of land in Green Township,  for which he paid $700, and on which he remained three years, then sold for $1,150. He then bought 160 acres in Richland Township, of which only forty acres have been improved; he has since purchased eighty acres adjoining, and has all under a high state of cultivation. His land and improvements cost him $5,200. Mr. Johnston is a No. 1 farmer, and has been very successful in all his undertakings. He has never aspired to office, and only takes such interest in politics as every good citizen should manifest. Politically he is a Republican and religiously he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.




 History of Butler and Bremer Counties, Iowa 1883

     A good blacksmith of Waverly is William Mooney, who was born in County Antrim, Ireland, during 1836. His father, Alexander Mooney, was by occupation a blacksmith and William partially learned the trade in early life. When sixteen years old, he came to the United States, locating in New York City, where he completed his apprenticeship. In March of 1856, he removed to Chicago, and thence, after a short time, to Independence, Buchanan county, Iowa. The following spring he settled in Waverly, Bremer county, and immediately began working at his trade. Mr. Mooney is to-day the oldest smith doing business in the town. He was united in marriage with Miss Mary Smith, a daughter of William O. Smith, who is a pioneer of Bremer county. Five children were born to them, two of whom, Nellie and Bessie, are now living. The family are members of the Catholic church.


 History of Butler and Bremer Counties, Iowa 1883

     R.G. McDonald, a native of county Antrim, Ireland, was born January 4, 1883, and there his life passed on a farm until about eighteen years of age. At this period he migrated to America and, landing in New York State, worked there one year, and then moved westward, locating at Racine, Wisconsin, where he remained one year. He then went south, remaining there one and one-half years, when he returned to Racine, where he passed another year. In October, 1855, he came to this township, and in company with a cousin, whose name was also Robert McDonald, purchased 240 acres of land in section 1. Shortly after, his cousin moved to Minnesota, and the subject of this sketch bought a part of his land. Mr. McDonald is one of the oldest living settlers of this town. He came here a poor man, and has, by persevering toil and good management, acquired a competence. He, with his four sons, are the possessors of eleven hundred acres of excellent land. The farm is located on sections 1,2,11 and 12, and is drained and watered by the Wapsipinicon river, which runs through it, and which is skirted with timber in abundant supply for fuel. He was married at Racine, Wisconsin, February 14, 1855, to Miss Ann McDonald, a native of his own county. She came to America with her parents at the age of three, and grew to womanhood in Racine. They were the parents of twelve children, eleven of whom are still living. Mrs. McDonald died at their home, October 1, 1881. The children are all living at home with the exception of the oldest son, who is married and lives on an adjoining farm. The children were born as follows: John William, born March 24, 1856; Samuel, March 3, 1858; David, January 29, 1862; Mary Ann, April 20, 1864; Margaret E., January 24, 1866, Agnes in 1868; Sarah Elizabeth, October 1, 1870; Robert, March 29, 1873; Julia, July 23, 1875; Emily, July 4, 1877; Liddie, September 21, 1879.